bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.62

all (472) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Nick Noel • Robotics Process Automation Developer • Graduate
    The overall experience was great. The track, I felt, was very good but could have a few tweeks made. For an example, the UX track included a portion to teach JavaScript to students. While I can understand the intentions, JavaScript is something where the foundations should be really well taught and basic programming principles and methodologies should be coupled with it. I felt the program went through it very quickly with minimal introductory concepts. Although I do believe that JavaScript/OOP is a great skill for anyone, the time spent could have been used more appropriately to drive a deeper understanding of UX methodologies or even concepts like SEO or CRO. My last 'issue' is the job seeking. They do a pretty good job with resume and CV building, but there didnt seen to be enough help making connections or bridging the gap between employer and candidates. After 5 months of consistent searching (doing what Bloc recommended for weekly applications and consistently doing projects) I did land a job and 3 offers in 1 week. Blocs advice is very good and should be used. Overall, I would do this all over again. What I mentioned above are my biggest issues which both can easily be overcame with discipline and a will to succeed and learn. The more time and work you put into the course, the more you will get out.
  • My Bloc Experience
    - 1/22/2019

I'm enrolled in Bloc’s web development program and it has been an incredible experience for me. Even though the curriculum is designed to be self-paced, I've never felt I am on my own and adrift. For my part, I commit 25+ hours each week to my course of study. Admittedly, there is a considerable learning curve; however, after the four month mark, the concepts clicked. I am able to bridge theory to practice and am looking forward to creating my portfolio over the coming months. As each day passes, I become more comfortable and confident. Additionally, I have also consistently been supported by my mentor who I meet once a week online, by the wonderful mentors who are available at all hours of the day on Slack, and the superheroes from student success, such as Taylor. I had a life changing event at the end of November and Taylor was my rock; she worked with me to resolve the concern in such a manner that my studies could continue seamlessly. If your desire is to create a firm foundation in front-end design and a future in the field of web development, the only choice is Bloc.

• Charlie Cianciolo  User Photo
    Charlie Cianciolo • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I have been in the Bloc program since July of 18. I have learned so many new skills/useful skills that I believe will take me into my job search and beyond. My mentor sessions have been fantastic and super useful in gauging my progress, my skillsets and where I need to make improvement or strides. Bloc's success team and technical coaches have provided supports whenever I needed.

I am looking forward to building my portfolio and really getting into the nitty gritty of applying for jobs. Great experience so far!!!

• Curt Hargis • Student

I am about two months in to Bloc's Designer Track and my experience so far has been great. The checkpoints in the course cover all of the concepts and skills one needs to master to succeed as a Web Designer, and the information contained in the checkpoints cover the subjects in depth and detail. The assignments at the end of each checkpoint are challenging, but Bloc provides plenty of resources and the Tech Success Team in Slack is always available to help. If you're looking for a program to join to learn Web Design i'd highly recommend Bloc.

• Overall Experience:

I have been at Bloc for a year and have waited to write a review but I am at my wits end. Since my first day, I had a mentor who was a former Bloc student. They gave me very little support and always cancelled our meetings. Looking back they really offerend any "mentoring" and was not qualified in my opinion to be a mentor yet. Luckily now I have a great mentor but honestly he is the only positive part of my Bloc expierence. The hours they say it takes to complete are not feasable. I work full time and it takes hours to finish projects, not to mention the revisions. Hey I totally get that things need revisions but its not realistic to say 1 project takes 4 hours! try more 10-15 hours realistically from start to finish. Now the grading....we are being timed to complete the program. Again, some of us have full time jobs and they are suppose to take 48 hours to grade. Well it actually takes 4-5 days...and you have to wait to continue to the next project depending on the material. I have also asked for someone to call me from the support team multiple times and yet nobody has.....luckily I have UX designers who are friends & they have taught me more than Bloc. Do not waste your money. I regret it in hindsight. I am sure there are better programs out there with more supportive staff.

Response From: Emily Pfister of Bloc
    Title: Student Success Counselor
    Friday, Jan 11 2019
    Your feedback is incredibly valuable for us and has a direct impact on the ways we continue to improve our programs.  Our goal is that you get support from a team of experienced developers who work together to ensure that you get the comprehensive feedback and guidance to progress through the program and reach your goals.

We apologize for your negative experience. We would like to do what we can to help resolve some of the issues you raised here. Please email me at emily.pfister@bloc.io at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,
    Emily
  • Excellent!
    - 11/24/2018
    Yulia  User Photo
    Yulia • Fashion Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

This school will give you the skills by putting you to work from class one.  I believe in learning by doing and this is exactly what Bloc is offering.

The program is hard and challenging, but stay focused. The support from the fellow students and coach team is always there for you.

This is one of the few programs that I found after an extensive research that gives you an opportunity to study online without quitting your current job.

I liked that they offer scholarship and a very comprehensive loan plan.

I so thankful and only looking forward to taking charge of my future career.

Yulia

- 11/15/2018
    Lucy N. • Student

My Bloc experience has been amazingly rewarding to say the least. I had abit of a background with code but after moving to a new country, trying to settle in and getting into a totally different industry, I found it difficult to get back into programming and going through the hurdles on my own, as I updated myself with the many different technologies that have come up. Mid 2017, I started doing my research, looking for a school to help me update my skills. I was fascinated by Bloc from the time I first went through their website. Being as curious as I am, I decided to schedule a call and ask a few questions. I needed to be sure of what Bloc was about - and not just going by what I saw on their website. Their response was quick, and I got satisfactory answers to my questions. I still had my fears...what if things have changed so much in the tech industry that it’s not what I thought. After a few more questions and conversations with my contact at Bloc, I decided to enrol. The 1-on-1 sessions with my mentor were full of insight on whichever topic we were discussing about. He was and still is such an inspiration and consistently encouraged me when I doubted myself. The technical coaches on Slack have been a great help when I’m stuck and blinded by frustration. More often than not, they taught me something new. The group sessions are a great chance to gain deeper understanding on a topic. Plus, they are regularly updated with current technologies. The program has a lot of work and requires dedication. The student success team is always an email away and they are ever warm and ready to help where they can. I am now on the career stage - and the feedback and assistance I have received so far, makes me confident in trusting the process and know that I will soon get to join the tech industry as a full time professional. I honestly, wish I had joined Bloc earlier on.

• Kelly  User Photo
    Kelly • Aspiring Jr. Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I really found Course Report useful when looking at Bootcamps and I am a couple weeks from completing Bloc's Web Developer Track and wanting to give back to the community here!  Being a self-employed person in TV/Film production for years, I had been considering a coding bootcamp for a while to get into a bigger job market with more career options and room to grow professionally.  I have a 3 year old daughter and a pregnant wife and juggling life and Bloc has been pretty good, you have to give up most nights and weekends for 8-9 months, but the outcome will be worth it to provide a better life for my family.

First off, I love Bloc's 12-14 hours a day of technical coaching on Slack, there is a whole team ready to help you everyday.  The live group sessions on a variety of topics are really a great way to interact with Bloc Mentors and hear from other students which is nice when you feel confused about a topic and realize most other students are too!@#$  They have many live sessions every week on a variety of topics and I haven't been able to do as many as I would like, honestly, so if you have time, do a couple a week.  It establishes a connection with Bloc that is sometimes lacking due to it being an online only school.  The student success and career services teams have all been so easy and great to communicate with.  Also, I like that Bloc is a larger bootcamp and they have Slack channels for many cities in the US so you can organize a Meet-up with other students, like I have done.  The curriculum I would say is challenging and makes you work hard and learn how to forage, which is what developers do all day in their jobs I'm told.  The amount of work you do on career preparation is waaaay more than I expected, but I now see the value and appreciate how much they have you work on presenting yourself to the industry besides knowing how to code.

Bloc does a good job setting expectations of what you can expect from them and what you need to do to make your time a success and that balance is what it takes to have a good experience I think.  If you work for it, they will work for you and with you.  Cheers!

• Cherie Marquez • Marketing and Communications Director

I'm almost 75% complete into my bloc program for in the design track and I've been very happy so far. Bloc has really allowed me to explore new opportunities, learn new things, challenge myself and all with the support of an incredible team. Every mentor at Bloc truly cares and wants all their students to achieve the very best. In addition, the community at Bloc is extremely supportive and collaborative.

I know once I complete the Bloc program it will open the door to many new adventures of my career. A program that I highly encourage anyone to be a part of.

• Bloc is awesome.
    - 10/21/2018
    Laura • Student

I definitely recommend Bloc if you are looking into getting into web development. Prior to becoming a student, I took a lot of time researching which bootcamp I wanted to attend so I thought I'd start there. I read tons of reviews on coursereport touching on at least twenty different bootcamps. I first narrowed the plethora of options down by choosing an online school versus an in-person school because I do work and did not want to quit my day job. Second, I really narrowed it down further by deciding to go with a school that did a job guarantee. For me, I am looking to do a career change and wanted a school that taught current/relevant languages and tools to help me get there. And for a school to do a job guarantee told me they really stand by their 'product.' Pretty much the last main deciding factor was the length of time to complete the program. Originally I liked the idea of finishing as quickly as possible but realistically that would be difficult for me. I work, I have two young children (ages 2 and 4) who require a lot of my attention and care, and a house to maintain. So that's why I decided to go with Bloc. It should take about 8 months to complete the web developer route, which is still fast in terms of school. But it does not require me to put in 40 hours of school each week like some of the other schools which I simply can not afford to give. So now I am a few months in and learning tons. As a current student, I will give you a breakdown of my experience with a pros and cons list. :)

Pros:

1. I've learned sooo much in such a short amount of time. I tried learning on my own but my progress was so slow and I really didn't know the best order of which I needed to learn everything in. I realize now it would have taken me years to get where I am at now had I tried to do this on my own.

2. I've had two great mentors that really know their stuff and have been able to explain the harder to understand concepts. It is very difficult to learn this on your own, so to have someone that helps you when you get stuck and makes sure you keep on track is so important.

3. The slack team is also immensely helpful. You only 'meet up' with your mentor once a week but when you're working on assignments the other six days of the week that's where this team is awesome. Whenever I get stuck on a checkpoint or assignment and I've tried everything I can but I can't seem to get my code to work, then I reach out on slack and get the support I need. I only wish that once I graduate and get my first job, that I could take this team and my mentor with me. :)

4. The tools are also a major plus for me. Web development isn't just about knowing HTML/CSS/JavaScript. You've got to learn things like Github, React, and other things as well which will make your life easier.

Cons:

1. Now this pertains to the curriculum, for every new topic that we are learning, I only wish that we had more time and practice with it. To really learn something and to get good at it, you need repetition. So what I would like to see is extra practice questions/scenarios on each topic just to make sure you have it down. I wouldn't even want to necessarily be graded on them. And I find myself having to do a ton of outside research as well to try to understand what I am learning here. But I did sign up for a bootcamp. There is sooo much to learn in such a short amount of time, you really only get to see the tip of the iceberg on each subject. I know it's up to me to put in as much time in as I possibly can during school and even after it to truly master it.

Now I have not utilized the job assistance as of yet so I can not give a positive or negative review on this subject. There have been these career prep assignments and reading materials to go through that I have found very helpful though so far.

Overall, I've had a great experience so far and would recommend this school.

• Rachel Beiser • Student

Once I decided that I wanted to get into the field of UX design, I did a lot of research on different UX bootcamps. I came across Bloc and was really impressed with all that they offer. I reached out to the admissions team and they immediately scheduled a phone call with me to answer any questions and tell me about the program. I was nervous to jump in, but once I did I knew that it was the right decision!

I think that one of the coolest components of Bloc’s curriculum is the element of front-end development, which is something that most UX bootcamps do not offer. Even though I had absolutely zero coding background, I figured that if I am taking the time and investing in a full-time bootcamp, I may as well get the most out of it by learning the incredibly valuable skill of front-end development which will help me stand out when it comes time to apply for jobs. Bloc’s curriculum gave me the tools to learn front-end development and eventually hand-code my own portfolio/website which I am extremely proud of!

Another reason why I am so happy that I chose Bloc is because of their incredible student support. My mentor, the student success team, and the career prep team have always been extremely helpful and responsive to any concerns, questions or needs. The general Slack community has also shown itself to be an invaluable resource and proves that even though Bloc is an online program, everyone involved truly is a community and is always there to support one another. I have learned a tremendous amount from Bloc, and I feel that when the time comes I will be totally prepared to enter the professional field of UX design.

• Bloc experience
    - 10/20/2018
    Nahome Gudeta • Student

I have reaserched a lot of bootcamps before I joined bloc, and bloc was the only one that fitted what I was looking for, I didn't have to relocate or quit my job, after I started the cource it was everything stated in the ads, the platform which is designed in a way that students can get help from mentors and coaches on slack is really helpful.

Bloc Outcomes

77% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 23% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 40 graduates included in report:

93% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here