bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (453) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (49) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge

• Charlie Cianciolo  User Photo
    Charlie Cianciolo • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I have been in the Bloc program since July of 18. I have learned so many new skills/useful skills that I believe will take me into my job search and beyond. My mentor sessions have been fantastic and super useful in gauging my progress, my skillsets and where I need to make improvement or strides. Bloc's success team and technical coaches have provided supports whenever I needed.

I am looking forward to building my portfolio and really getting into the nitty gritty of applying for jobs. Great experience so far!!!

• Isaac P  User Photo
    Isaac P • Coordinator of Educational Technology • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I live and work full time in a very remote location (rural Alaska) so I had some very specific criteria when selecting a bootcamp. I was looking for something remote and part time. Bloc handily met both criteria. The program is entirely online so it can be done from anywhere, and I am able to complete the curriculum at a part-time pace. The timeframe can be quite long (mine is two years for the Software Developer Track) so I can do a little bit of work while not at my full time job and still learn a ton of new information. On the other hand, the work is independent enough that I can work ahead at a faster pace when I am able, which I love.

The curriculum is a mix of outside-created online tutorials and projects crafted by Bloc. The one minor drawback is that during the projects, which are the heart of the program, one is expected to do quite a bit of independent learning, but this is fine with me for two reasons. For one, the project-based approach simply works for learning new skills; and for the other, there is a mentor to guide you through the process.

I love learning new skills independently online, but this approach often leaves me frustrated by the lack of human touch and interaction within the process. Sometimes it's nice to talk through the things one is learning. Bloc provides the best of both worlds by allowing students to go through the bootcamp remotely, but having a mentor to work with. The presence of a mentor was the number one reason I chose Bloc from among the online boot camps, and I am not disappointed. I enjoy working with my mentor and had a difficult time choosing from among the many qualified candidates.

I can't speak to the final quality of the job assistance because I am not quite to that phase of the program, but the job prep I have done so far has been insightful and seems to be preparing me well. Overall, I would recommend Bloc to anyone who is able to accept the price tag of an online bootcamp and who is willing to put in the independent work.

• Drew  User Photo
    Drew Verified via LinkedIn

If you're looking for an online learning experience for coding, you should definitely consider the Bloc approach. But, before you even click accept, make sure you have done your homework and worked through as many free/cheap tutorials as possible.

Your time in the course is a WAVE of information. You'll be in a much better place psychologically and economically if you understand the basic concepts of what you are about to get into. Plus, if you work one-on-one with a mentor (pretty sweet) you're not wasting his/her time by having to walk you through a ton of basics.

Learning to code is a challenge. Don't make the decision lightly about who helps elevate you closer to a level of mastery. Stay cool and remember that if you do choose Bloc, you always have somebody at your back.

• Bloc star
    - 7/16/2017
    Jared T  User Photo
    Jared T • Student Verified via GitHub

Before selecting Bloc I reviewed several programs and their respective preview courses. I found that every online boot camp had one thing that they excelled at. But these boot camps also seemed to focus so vehemently on that one thing, that other areas of the program suffered. That is not to say that these other programs were bad, but for me, they didn't strike a good balance of affordability, support, education, and potential results.

My biggest reason for choosing Bloc was the overall balance of their program. Everything is executed well with a great blend of all the elements that were important to me. Not only that, but the frequency of one on one meetings with my mentor is awesome. I could write substantially more about how great this program is, but let’s face it, you don’t want to read a five page review, and I’ve still got a ton of code to write; this code’s not gonna’ ship itself (totally stole that line from my mentor).  Do yourself a solid: If you're serious about a code school, check out Bloc, you'll be happy you did.

-- This post was written while enrolled in the program, although I have seen great support from their job assitance team already, I chose to give a score of "N/A" as I have had little need to use all the support they provide.

• Jose Torres  User Photo
    Jose Torres • UX/UI Designer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I can seriously say that Bloc helped me get out of a job and gain a career. After going to college for two years wasting money on courses I was never going to use in real life situations. I decided to seek a better alternative. I researched boot camps and landed on Bloc's site. Being able to learn from home and having a mentor with years of experience in the real world of UX/UI Design, was awesome. My mentor was always available for any concerns or help I needed. Creating work that I could actually put on my resume was the key in getting my foot in the door and being considered for job opportunities, above other graduates with just a degree to show. My mentor helped me understand that companies and recruiters want to see actual work that you've done that will speak for itself about what you're knowledge of UX/UI Design is. Natalie Hatter was my Bloc Mentor and I recommend not on her as a mentor but also Bloc as the perfect fit for those looking to gain not just a job but a career. After I finished Bloc I immediately had interviews. 3 months later got my first job at Unikey Technologies where I learned a lot before moving onto a more stable role at FanHero where I just celebrated my 1year anniversary. Hope my review/testimony will help those needing guidance on their decision to join Bloc and become a Bloc alumni.

• Tara Briggs  User Photo
    Tara Briggs Verified via LinkedIn

As a 54 year old female with a computer science degree programming in Cobol, I was ready to learn new skills and learn about web development.  I thought the Bloc online program was perfect for me as I am self-motivated and have good time management skills.  The program was perfect.  I have almost completed the program and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in web developement.  Not only did I learn front-end and back-end programming, Bloc also helped me with career development.  I learned how to network, how best ro apply to jobs and was given guidance with my resume and cover letter.  I had a terrific mentor who helped me along the way.  My success in the program is directly linked to my mentor.

• Satisfied student
    - 7/12/2017
    JN  User Photo
    JN • UXA • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I completed Bloc's UX/UI Design Course. I took roughly 9 months while still working fulltime, and had weekly calls with a mentor. I feel my mentor was more a guide to keep me on track and not feel alone while doing this online program than someone who helped me level up with my skillset, but you don't get to have everything in life and what I did get from the program I am beyond satisfied with.

My four star rating is because I struggled with learning HTML, CSS, github stuff alone on my couch, and found the online bootcamp with once per week 30 min calls with a mentor format impossible for my learning style when you don't have the words to be able to describe the problems you're having to get help.

Through what I learned at Bloc, networking with Bloc grads, networking like it was my job in my hometown going to 2-3 meetups most weeks for 5 months, and capitalizing on my soft skills, professional strengths, and experience in digital marketing and communications from previous jobs, I now work as a UX Architect at my dream company and couldn't like what I do or the organization I spend all my time at more. My success is due to leveraging past work experiences, committing myself to learning everything I could with Bloc, networking hustle, and good timing.

I found the people at Bloc I interacted with genuinely interested in answering my questions, helping me, and in my being successful after the program. Like most things in life, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. I was able to change careers and am happy where I am at. For that I am thankful I invested in Bloc and in myself.

• Liz  User Photo
    Liz • Tier 2 Sales Support & CRM Product Manager • Student Verified via GitHub

When I first decided to enroll at Bloc in 2015, there were a few things that convinced me to do so. Some of them were:

• Flexibility (online and could chose a slower pace)
    • Course content
    • Price

However, sometime during the course, I felt a bit of bait-and-switch. When I enrolled, my course was called Full Stack Web Development Apprenticeship, and I was led to believe that I would learn both backend and frontend. And that by the end of the course I would receive assistance with my job search. I think at some point, there was some rebranding done at Bloc, and they changed things around. My course became the Rails Web Development course, now showcased as one of those courses you might take to learn new skills, not necessarily to switch careers.

But let's leave that aside for now. The curriculum was actually pretty wide, and I genuinely learned a lot about Rails. There was quite a bit of handholding at first, but I genuinely felt that I learned by doing. My first mentor was fantastic, but at some point he was moved to a different position, and I had to change my mentor. My second one was still helpful, but lacked a bit in mentorship.

Once the course was done, I started applying to multiple jobs and apprenticeships. I quickly realized that I was very unprepared for the real world, and then I realized there was no way I could land a job after just taking this course. I reached out to Bloc, and I have to give credit where credit is due. Prachi from Bloc called me and she listened to what I had to say. They extended my course a few weeks to meet a few more times with my mentor. Courtland also did a couple mock interviews with me, and I think he realized that I had many weak spots. He also sent me a book for free to help me out with algorithms.

At the end, I landed the best job I ever had, but it is not in web dev and it has nothing to do with taking Bloc's course. All I can say that the stars sort of lined up for me, and all in all, I'm glad I took a year off to study because it led me to where I'm at now.

Response From: Alex of Bloc
    Title: Product Marketing Manager
    Monday, Jul 10 2017
    Hi Liz,

I'm Alex, Bloc's product marketing manager. Thank you so much for your review! We rely on data, both quantitative and qualitative, to improve the student experience, so whenever we receive feedback like this we are sure to discuss it as a team and incorporate it into the following program improvements.

While I'm disappointed to read you didn't have the best experience at Bloc, I can certainly understand why. Back in 2015, we did not have all the information we do today around how to best update programs to minimize disruption to our students. However, since then, we've updated our release process to ensure any new improvements we make to the curriculum are made within the same program so all students benefit from it (as opposed to launching a new program, as you experienced).

Finally, I'm so glad to know you're in a job you love. If you are still interested in pursuing a career in development, our Career Services team is always happy to help alumni in their search. Please feel free to reach out to our team at career-services [at] bloc [dot] io anytime for career help or to give us any additional feedback you have!

Alex
  • Tim Schmidt  User Photo
    Tim Schmidt • Student Verified via LinkedIn

After months of researching coding bootcamps, I chose Bloc for the 1 to 1 mentorship, commitment to job placement, and because it’s remote (I knew I would move to a new city during the program). I'm 3 weeks away from completing the Part Time Web Developer Track and I can say that I'm very happy with my experience at Bloc.

Mentors: I meet with a mentor twice a week for about 30 minutes. I have had 3 different mentors and each one has taught me a lot about programming and what it's like to work as a developer. Because of the curriculum and my mentors, I have learned more in 6 months than I have over the last 4 years of trying to learn on my own.

Curriculum: Bloc's curriculum starts by holding your hand and showing you how to make a working thing from thin air. It's very exciting to publish the first project. As time goes one, the curriculum gives you some guidance but it's up to you to solve the problems. I was very impressed with the curriculum.

Job Placement: Because of Bloc’s tuition reimbursement guarantee, I knew they had a vested interested in me getting a role as a developer. I just started applying for jobs so I can’t comment on receiving a developer role but, because of the career preparation sprinkled throughout the entire program, I feel prepared to apply and interview. More importantly, I feel confident that I can actively and passively look for developer jobs throughout my career.

Time Commitment: Bloc suggests to dedicate 12-20 hrs per week. In order to dedicate 20 hours a week and keep my current job, I cut down on many social engagements. I was okay doing this but it is something to think about before enrolling in any bootcamp.

Portfolio and Projects: By the end of the program, I’ll have a rockin’ personal website and 9 projects to show off my skills in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, AngularJS, Firebase, a couple other minor libraries, Ruby on Rails, and a whole lot of Ruby gems.

Remote Bootcamp: Working with a remote mentor was great. We shared screens, communicated face to face, and took control of each other’s mouse when necessary. Bloc does encourage you to attend meetups and conferences in person to network and learn from others in person.

Because of Bloc, I have learned more about programming than any other method I tried on my own and I feel prepared to search for developer roles. I recommend enrolling in Bloc’s Part Time Developer Track to anyone who wants to learn how to program and work as a developer in a relatively short period.

• Stewart McCoy  User Photo
    Stewart McCoy • Senior Product Designer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had been trying to learn JavaScript since 2009 before I enrolled in Bloc in 2015. I attemped to learn from books, blogs, both written and video tutorials, and pairing with professional engineers, but all lead to a steep learning curve with no measurable results. I had learned Rails during 10 weeks of project-based pairing in 2013, so I was looking for a similar experience to learn JavaScript (and Angular.js), and found exactly what I needed with Bloc. The program exceeded my expectations, and I still use all the skills I learned during that program in my job today as a product designer and front-end developer. I don't code full-time, but I regularly review PRs to our various code bases, can understand technical tradeoffs during implementation discussions, can debug code on my own, and can even branch features and make my own small contributions for UI updates. Upon finishing Bloc, I even had a full-time job offer as an Angular developer, although in the end I decided I didn't want to switch from Design to Engineering. That said, I would have never had the choice if it wasn't for Bloc.

• Thanya Moolmuang  User Photo
    Thanya Moolmuang • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I have just completed the part-time Web Developer track at Bloc. Overall I really love the curriculum. It has moved at the perfect pace for me. Not too fast and not too slow. It has covered a great deal of AngularJS and Ruby on Rails. Mentors are friendly, knowledgeable, and resourceful. I worked with Kevin Lee on my front-end curriculum. And I worked with Alex Spencer for my back-end projects. Highly recommend both of them.

• Sergio G.  User Photo
    Sergio G. • IT Manager • Graduate Verified via GitHub

My company had a need for a custom application that would tie directly to our existing Accounting software.  We researched using outside developers and determined that it would be less expensive and faster for me to learn the technologies required than it would be to teach the outside developers the intricacies of our industry.  Being able to work with my Mentor to develop my application as part of my capstone requirement for my course meant that I had a seasoned developer helping me develop the app my company required while I learned the languages cutting down the overall time of development even more.  All in all I was able to develop a working application and learn new skills with this course.  Couldn't have worked out better for me.

I also took the Android developers course and used this course to develop a mobile version of our custom application.

• Shane W.   User Photo
    Shane W. • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I started the Designer Track Apprenticeship back in January. It has been an incredible journey so far and I would recommend anyone interested in an online design program give Bloc serious consideration. Choosing to join a bootcamp program should not be taken lightly and I encourage anyone who is thinking about doing so really weigh their options carefully to make sure A) This is something they are serious about pursuing and B) Whatever option they pick best suits their needs. It may be Bloc, it may be something else do right by yourself all I can say is that I have had a fantastic experience thus far.

To try and keep this brief by highlighting two of key examples as to why I am so impressed with Bloc:

1. Mentorship/Support-My mentor is NOT 24/7. BUT my mentor has been invaluable in walking me through every stage of the program and when I couldn't reach him for an immediate answer on something I've been able get questions answered and feedback via the program director, other mentors and fellow students in the Slack/FB Community.
       When I was getting crushed by the demands of the 9-month pace (They say it is 25-hours a week of work but it was closer to 40 for me) and my current job or when I had a medical issue that I thought was going to force me to drop out the Student Success team went above and beyond in accommodating me. Bloc is a thriving and supportive community beyond being a program.
      Heck, when I was considering between Bloc and another program I reached out to a Bloc alum on my own and she was so giving and so positive and candid about her experience that it really sealed the deal.

2. Bloc is a Work in Progress- The curriculum has changed noticeably since I started back in January. There've been additions, and some major changes in the order of sections. There is one section that is being updated just because the tools changed a month or so ago. So things are constantly shifting and I appreciate that to no end. The team at Bloc is constantly assessing feedback from current students and alums and making changes and adjustments. So no, the program is not perfect. The curriculum is not perfect. But it is constantly evolving and improving and we are a major part in that.

TL;DR - Do your due diligence on if the field is right for you. Spend the time researching all your options and find the right one for you. If you decide on Bloc, know it is challenging but know that you are supported by a great staff and community who will go out of their way for you.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here