bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.62

all (470) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Design Track
    - 2/19/2019

I have a lot of previous design experience but I wanted to learn UX design inside and out. I'm still in the early part but I feel like I made a great decision choosing Bloc. It's a great fit for me and it's been very flexible which is exactly what I needed as I juggle other responsibilities. The curriculum isn't easy but the instructors are great and they give you plenty of help when you get stuck.

• My Bloc Experience
    - 2/14/2019
    Christian Reyes • Student

Bloc has been a tremendously fantastic experience for me. All throughout the program, I've received nothing but help when I needed it and great course material. The program material is easy to read and very easy to follow along with and it pushes you to dig a little deeper on your own to fully grasp what it's saying.

The technical support team is extremely fast and they work with you throughout the problem or the question you have. I've never had a negative experience or one where the code coaches couldn't relay the information or help to me in a way I couldn't understand. The mentor meetings help tremendously and the one on one weekly meetings help solidify areas where I may feel a little wobbly on.

I recommend Bloc 100% for the go-to code school to anyone looking to learn web development. The fact that it's online and not very pricey is the cherry on top.

• So far so good!
    - 2/13/2019
    Renuka • Student

Hi, I started with Bloc in November. So far its been good. I wanted to get into programming and learn how to be able to build my own websites, build some for friends etc while being able to understand all the programming concepts that go into web development. I am only in my second module so I cannot give any review on how this program helped me with job search yet. Also, several people learn web programming on their own, I have tried learning some tools on my own in the past, but when I am stuck, I didnt know how to go about it and then eventually my desire to learn it would fizzle it. Yes, inspite of searching for answers on StackOverflow, Reddit, Medium etc. Bloc still makes you do that, makes you search for answers (because one should be able to find your way out, you are not going to have a mentor in realtime getting you out of situations) but if you are absolutely stuck then the grading team members point you in the right direction. They almost always respond promptly and when you need explanations about concepts then you have the weekly mentor sessions where you can get them clarified.

The reason I went for a online option is because I am also searching for a job, and had I found one or if I find one even now, then I dont want to take the job but leave the web development learning or leave the job and do the course. I want to be able to do both.

Bloc also gave me a scholarship-woman in tech!:) which was great too because I wasnt ready to spend $16K yet which some of the other coding bootcamps charge.

The online Slack community is great too!

• Designer Track
    - 2/13/2019
    Alexandra • ELA Instructor

I have so enjoyed my experience at Bloc. They really put their money where their mouth is and support people who don't usually find a place in this male-dominated industry. My mentors have helped me find my niche and allowed me to tailor the program to best suit my needs. The program is mastery-based, so you don't simply get pushed and passed through. Very impressed and glad I went with this option.

• Emily   User Photo
    Emily • Photographer/Full Stack Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

I am nearing the completion of my Bloc program (only one week left!) Bloc has been a great experience for me all around. When you sign up for the program, they say that you will be able to keep your current job and complete the program at the same time. For me personally, I kept my 9-5 current job for the first 2 months with the plans of quitting after that. When I did that, I temped/freelanced (I was a photographer before my 9-5) which worked perfectly with the program since I was able to choose how much I wanted to work.

Once you get past the first module, I am not sure if it is realistic to keep up the 40-50 work hour pace on top of the 25-30 hour a week dedication time, although I am sure some people do it! For me, it was better to work part time and focus on not only my studies, but learning beyond that. I think that to get the most out of your experience you need to attending their group sessions. Attending meetups. Practice online tutorials. There are so many resources out there and you should be ready to embrace them, beyond what is taught through Bloc. The great thing about this program is that they encourage you to learn beyond what is taught in their material.

In terms of jobs, I have had several interviews, which I am sort of in the middle of so I can't say whether I do/don't have a job because I am still completeling that process. What I CAN say that before I attended Bloc, I had tried to apply to soft skill marketing jobs and didn't hear back from ONE company (even with several years of experience). Now, I have gotten interviews from 25% of the applications I have put out which is a HUGE progression.

The only cons I can think of are that the program is going through some growing pains right now so some of the resources that I have depended on (like their career assistance team and student success team) have been understaffed/slow to reply to emails. I am hoping they fix that up soon because I think they are a huge perk to the program, but I think it's because they are currently going through some transition/growth issues. Otherwise, the mentors have been great, the material is good, and I have had an overall fantastic experience.

• Good school
    - 1/24/2019
    Soheb • Student

The main thing I like about Bloc is the support structure they have in place. You never really feel like you have to go through this alone. The assignment grading is very helpful and so is the staff. The path makes sense and I learn something new with every assignment.

• Sean Sullivan • Web Developer • Student

At Bloc, the apprenticeship-style curriculum makes for a great learning experience. I find that I'm able to learn the material and actually understand how it works rather than just memorize concepts. Having Slack support and weekly mentor meetings have really helped me. I have been a student at Bloc in the Web Developer track since September 17 and I would recommend it to anyone who is serious about becoming a web developer, as it provides hands-on experience working with technologies and concepts that are necessary and also relevant to what real world developers are actually using.

• Honest Review
    - 1/23/2019

Hello There!

I'm currently a student with Bloc and finishing up the last leg of my assignment/apprenticeship with the UX Design program and I must say that it has been quite a ride.

The amount of support you get in the program is on point - the slack channel is a large community on a global scale all pushing each other to finish, the technical coaches are almost always a key stroke away from getting you "unstuck" from a problem, the recorded and live class sessions are an extremely helpful resource, the student success team constantly check on your progress to ensure you are getting the best out of the program, and the mentors you meet have years of experience behind them to help you unlock your potential into a career you will break into at the conclusion of the program.

When I was researching a program to enroll with, I came across a TON of them online, but ended up narrowing down my options to two:

1. Bloc

2. Thinkful

And at the end of it all, Thinkful ended up acquiring Bloc, so that in itself speaks great volumes as to what Bloc has been achieving alongside the reputation it has built throughout the years since its inception. I'm glad I chose Bloc!

• Christina  User Photo
    Christina • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm halfway through the Designer track, and I have been enjoying the course so far! Everything they teach is relevant, and I love that you will finish the program with three case studies under your belt. My mentor, Lauren Smith, is amazing and willing to help wherever she can. I can talk to her about the course, job advice, and anything else related to UX design!

If you're thinking about choosing a Bootcamp for UX Design, I highly recommend Bloc. This isn't to say that the coursework is easy, but I truly find UXD fun. What you put in is what you get out. You have to make sure you don't slack off. I supplement this education by going to Meetups and meeting professionals in the industry.

• Great Opportunity
    - 1/22/2019
    Lena • Student

I'm in the UX/UI Designer program with Bloc and I have to say I've been very impresse with how much they've taught me. I'm in my final weeks with the class and have started applying for jobs. I've been pleasantly surprised to see that the education I've received allows me to check off almost every single requirement in a job description. I started applying to jobs just 3 weeks ago in Charlotte, NC and I have two interviews set up for this week at a much higher pay rate than expected (both are above 75K annually!).

I'd recommend Bloc to anyone. The technical coaches are available to answer any of your questions and the mentor sessions are invaluable. The only thing I would say is that if you are not 100% dedicated you WILL fall behind in your course. Stay on top of it and keep your eye on the prize!

• Nick Noel • Robotics Process Automation Developer • Graduate
    The overall experience was great. The track, I felt, was very good but could have a few tweeks made. For an example, the UX track included a portion to teach JavaScript to students. While I can understand the intentions, JavaScript is something where the foundations should be really well taught and basic programming principles and methodologies should be coupled with it. I felt the program went through it very quickly with minimal introductory concepts. Although I do believe that JavaScript/OOP is a great skill for anyone, the time spent could have been used more appropriately to drive a deeper understanding of UX methodologies or even concepts like SEO or CRO. My last 'issue' is the job seeking. They do a pretty good job with resume and CV building, but there didnt seen to be enough help making connections or bridging the gap between employer and candidates. After 5 months of consistent searching (doing what Bloc recommended for weekly applications and consistently doing projects) I did land a job and 3 offers in 1 week. Blocs advice is very good and should be used. Overall, I would do this all over again. What I mentioned above are my biggest issues which both can easily be overcame with discipline and a will to succeed and learn. The more time and work you put into the course, the more you will get out.
  • My Bloc Experience
    - 1/22/2019

I'm enrolled in Bloc’s web development program and it has been an incredible experience for me. Even though the curriculum is designed to be self-paced, I've never felt I am on my own and adrift. For my part, I commit 25+ hours each week to my course of study. Admittedly, there is a considerable learning curve; however, after the four month mark, the concepts clicked. I am able to bridge theory to practice and am looking forward to creating my portfolio over the coming months. As each day passes, I become more comfortable and confident. Additionally, I have also consistently been supported by my mentor who I meet once a week online, by the wonderful mentors who are available at all hours of the day on Slack, and the superheroes from student success, such as Taylor. I had a life changing event at the end of November and Taylor was my rock; she worked with me to resolve the concern in such a manner that my studies could continue seamlessly. If your desire is to create a firm foundation in front-end design and a future in the field of web development, the only choice is Bloc.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here