bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (440) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (48) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Rolling Start Date
    Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner Skills Fund.
    $8,500 with payment plans available.
    $1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
    Interview
  • Web Developer Track

Rolling Start Date
    Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner, Skills Fund.
    $8,500 with payment plans available.
    Basic computer knowledge
    Interview

• Luke Chavez • IT Support • Student

This is a serious course for someone that is already good with computers. This course will teach you to code and it will be challenging. If you are prepared to work hard and have a great experience this is your place. They have great mentors and roud the clock assistance! You may need additional material outside the course to reall grasp all the concepts but they will get you 90% of the way there.

• Loving Bloc!
    - 3/12/2018
    Sarah B

I'm almost two months into the web developer track and am so amazed at how much I've learned, and how easy it is to retain. Bloc uses everyday logic to introduce concepts and it works wonderfully. I'm very excited to see where this goes in the upcoming months, and am super thankful for the opportunity!

• Theo Joyce  User Photo
    Theo Joyce • Student Verified via LinkedIn

So far I'm a little over 1/3 of the way through the course at Bloc. I've been interested in technology, computers, and programming for a long time and when deciding on where I wanted to go for an education I came across Bloc. I decided on Bloc at first because of how many different ways they help, and they had a good history of students and success. After joining not only was that confirmed but even more than I expected! There is a very strong aura of support and an endless amount of resources to help anyone through the course. My mentor has been very helpful and I have found out many things I did not know before. Having weekly 1-on-1 meetings from someone actually in the industry definitely helps give perspective and knowledge required for getting a job. Finally, one thing I like about Bloc is that they stay modern and that what you learn is actually actively used in the industry, so that you're not learning outdated techniques and software.

• Sheronda • Student

I am a BLOC student on the Web Developer Track who is a 50-year-old African-American woman and a European resident. I desire a career change that allows me to work from home and on my schedule. I come from an electrical engineering background but with limited coding experience.  However, I have been doing websites using an editor the last five years as a volunteer at my church and work. I wanted to take my skills to a higher level but needed an online program that offered flexibility and accountability without having to earn another degree. I found BLOC!

After numerous hours searching online, I found BLOC and was very impressed by the program offering and testimonies. I could relate to the alumni. Regular meetings with a Mentor and the flexibility of obtaining new skills online sold me on the program. I like its structure, the encouraging feedback from the Grading Team, and the course content. BLOC also offers Group Sessions which allow me to supplement the curriculum and interact with other students and mentors. BLOC’s Student Portal has an excellent layout. I can chart my progress and also see the next steps.

My education at BLOC started to pay off during my first month. On my job, I serve as my team’s webmaster and help with online communications in addition to other duties. I was able to troubleshoot code and even code an entire page without the web editor. I had surprised myself. Also, I noticed I could better understand my peers in IT and direct vendors who I outsource e-marketing jobs.

BLOC’s curriculum is very intense, but the key is that you go at your own pace. You are not in competition with anyone. I commit 20 hours a week to my studies. At times with the demands of my job, serving in the church, and being a wife, I may do less. But the key for me is dedicating set hours to schooling and keeping my Mentor apprised of any concerns I may have. Once persons found out I was going to school, I started getting support in different ways. My interns and the younger members of my church are in awe that someone my age is going back to school and doing something they consider “hard.” My husband is my biggest cheerleader.

BLOC’s curriculum, focus on customer satisfaction, and flexibility is equipping me to bring my dream to fruition. I recommend BLOC to everyone.

• Kasper Pickett • Student

I am 17 weeks into my Software Developer course at Bloc.io. The coursework has been very challenging, but with the resources they provide it is also very manageable.   I am very excited to graduate and get a job in the field and am confident I will do so with this program.

• Michelangelo Pereira • Senior Instructor • Graduate

The full stack web development program is well thought out. There are many checkpoints, reasons and things to keep you busy. Regular mentor meeting keep you on track and help when you get stuck. There is also a good community on slack to ask for help.

The program is also about what you put into it. You can put in the bare minimum or go the extra mile. I am satisfied with my experience at block and think that the program provides great value for what it costs. The part time option is also perfect for working professional. And the ability to slow or speed up your pace is great. I had take a few days off and it was perfectly fine. If you find the coursework overwhelming you can slow down your pace and have fewer weekly mentor meetings.

I think that my time with bloc really prepared me to attack any coding challenge put in front of me. More than learning how to code, you are also learning how to learn and creatively solve problems.

• Andrea  User Photo
    Andrea • Chemist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Let me start by saying that I come from a science background (Bachelors of Science in Chemistry) and was interested in coding as a skill to help me expand my career options and to prepare me for a more tech oriented future job market. I originally started learning how to code on my own back in October 2016, but after months of trying to get myself motivated everyday after work (day job in the Oil and Gas industry) I realized I was not doing as much as I wanted. So I decided to get serious and look for a coding bootcamp that would give me the structure and motivation to start and finish coding projects. I looked at a lot of the conventional bootcamps that require full time attendance and realized that not only did they have high price tags but they also would force me to quit my day job and as a recent college grad with debt that was not an option. Thats when a friend recommended Bloc to me and I was immediately sold on the idea of one-on-one time with a mentor, a custom schedule, and on top of that the price was right! So I started my Bloc program in February 2017 and had an amazing experience all the way through. My mentor was amazing and super flexible with me. During my time with Bloc I traveled twice a month for work and my mentor was able to make it work for me. I learned so much and it was so much better than being on online forums scrolling through questions, I actually had someone there who I could ask and get a response within hours. Not only that but concepts in coding I didnt understand beforehand became crystal clear. I also liked that Bloc starts off slow but quickly picks up steam in terms of curriculum. Three weeks in and I was feeling very challenged by the Web Developer Track. I can't really speak to job support as my intention was just to gain a skill not to change careers, but I thought that at least during the program my mentor was very helpful in guiding me and helping me make choices about what I wanted to do. I am now 6 months out from Bloc and in that time I have gain recognition at my job for coding tools to make data analysis easier, completed freelance web development jobs for small business, and even learned C and Python. I think at the end of it all the real value of the Bloc Web Developer Track is that it gives you a foundation that you can easily build upon and take in any direction you choose to go.

• Katherine O. • Graduate

I completed the Web Developer Track of Bloc, and overall I enjoyed the program.  I came in with little experience, and while initially overwhelmed with the fast-paced learning, things began to click as I progressed. It was the project portion of the course that helped to tie everything together.

I guess that’s the case with learning any new skill. You can learn the details, you can understand their meaning, but if you can’t combine the smaller pieces into a greater whole then you haven’t begun to master it. When I initially tried learning to code on my own, I felt like I was stuck in that situation of studying piece after piece of information but unable to integrate that info into anything useful. Bloc offered the glue to connect the selected languages, frameworks, libraries, etc. for greater comprehension through projects that you might use in every day-to-day life.

Not to mention, the projects are great for portfolios – especially for those just entering the development field.  Rather than simply stating you know certain techs, you have substantial proof of your knowledge to back up the assertions.

• Melelani • Student

I'm so happy I chose Bloc!  I considered several other paths for UX/UI design and frontend code (General Assembly, Codecademy, Treehouse, UC Extension, and others), but I ultimately chose Bloc because I was so impressed by the design portfolios I found online that were made by Bloc alum, and I really appreciate the flexible/remote format they offer.

I wanted a program that would be very results-driven, and Bloc is absolutely that!  Even though it's a remote course, I feel they offer even more support than I received back when I was an undergrad at UC Berkeley.  At Cal Berkeley, it was sometimes hard to get one-on-one assistance or feedback on your work or level of understanding, and you didn't want to schedule office hours with your professor or TA just for a couple small questions.  With Bloc, you have tons of people at your service to help you learn.

With Bloc you get:

1 - A COMMUNITY & TEAM. On Slack, they have a mentor team available around the clock to help with any questions (big or small) that you post. I've literally aways received helpful responses within the hour. And via Slack you can interact with other Bloc students, see what students ahead of you in the program are up to, get inspired by the things peers are making, ask each other for feedback, even collaborate...  You never feel like you're alone in the program.

2- A HELPFUL GRADING TEAM. They also have a grading team that doesn't just gloss over the work you submit. The graders give thoughtful feedback and actionable advice on every submission -- helping you grow into a legit designer.

3- MENTORSHIP. You have a specific mentor (you get to select) who you meet with every week via video conference.  Your mentor is there to look out for you, answer questions, show you how to do things, and provide insight as you progress through the course.

4- DAILY DESIGN CRITIQUES. They also host daily design critiques via video conference which are super informative; you can learn so much by listening in on critiques of other students' work, and by submitting your work for critique!  At first I felt intimidated to submit my work for critique, but I listened in on one and realized that they're actually very constructive and positive.  Instead of sarcasm or tearing your work apart (the way movie critics do, for example) they really just focus on actionable advice for improving and learning what you need.

5- CURRICULUM. They've put together strong and relevant curriculum.  While tech and design trends and tools can change rather fast, Bloc keeps their curriculum and assignments up-to-date.

6- TUTORING.  They monitor students' progress through the curriculum in REAL TIME.  When they notice that students are getting jammed up in a particular area, they'll host video conferences that students can dial into and basically get tailored tutoring in the specific area you need help with.  How awesome is that?!  They had no way to do that for us back at Berkeley, so in this regard I've even say the tailored, skills-oriented/results-oriented education you get with Bloc rivals an Ivy League education!

7-HIGH STANDARDS.  They keep high standards so that you'll be highly interview- and work-ready when you complete the program.  They don't want to simply pass people through the program, because it would make both you and Bloc look bad when you go to an interview and turn up poorly equipped.  Bloc has it in their own best interest to look out for your best interest!

For me, Bloc feels like a big sandbox that you get to have fun digging in and begin building cool things!  We're all here to learn, and, as such, there's no such thing as failure.  Like Thomas Edison said, "I haven't failed; I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work." Bloc is there for the sole purpose of helping you succeed and discover what works well....as quickly as possible and with as much guidance and support as you need.

Needless to say, I'm more than satisfied with my Bloc experience.  I wish this existed back when I was in college, because not only is design and code fun and interesting, but in bang-for-the-buck, I feel Bloc's design track is more valuable than my liberal arts degree from a top university.

- 2/27/2018
    Chris Taylor  User Photo
    Chris Taylor • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm currently enrolled in Bloc's Design program and my experience has been great! My pursuit of Software Design represents a complete career switch, so I entered this program very green with a steep learning curve ahead. Bloc's been a great place to embark on this journey, as it offers straightforward material combined with access to both excellent resources and a strong support system. And my favorite component of the program is the mentorship, where you get 1-on-1 access to individuals from the design industry who bring their real-word experience and insights to the table. I'd recommend this program to anyone who's looking to pursue a career in Software in a way that fits within their busy lifestyles.

• Career Change Gold
    - 2/26/2018
    Ashley N.  User Photo
    Ashley N. • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    After deciding that teaching was not my calling, I decided to get back into a hobby of mine- web development. I was into it when I was a teenager but felt as though it wasn't a feasible career path because it seemed too difficult/risky. After trying out a few other paths and being stuck in teaching, I decided to see if there would be a way to learn web development quickly and efficiently and change careers asap. I found Bloc after doing a web search for coding bootcamps and loved their website and the fact that they seemed to seek out/support women coders. After being in this course for a little over a month, I've learned HTML, CSS, Javascript and am about to start working on some projects to showcase my skills. The curriculum is easy to follow, and when you get stuck, there is always someone there to help you. Additionally, my mentor felt like a coding friend to me who I could ask anything and get help with whatever problem presented itself to me between meetings with her. I'm so happy I chose Bloc because I'm learning a lot at my own pace and still feel like I will be equipped for a job come this summer!
  • Mariel • Student

I am about 30% through my Bloc program and so far, have enjoyed my experience. I decided I needed a career change after feeling unchallenged and unmotivated in my current job and realized I needed some hard skills. I started teaching myself HTML, CSS and JavaScript but decided I needed a program to hold myself accountable if anything was going to come of it. I looked at several coding boot camps but Bloc seemed like the best choice financially and fit best with my schedule. It was part-time and online so I wouldn’t need to quit my job while I completed the program. I applied for a scholarship for women in tech and was able to get my tuition reduced, which made the decision even easier. It’s self-paced, but they do recommend how many hours you should work to finish in a certain amount of time. I decided I would do 25 hours a week and fully commit to the program. It’s hard work, but it’s enjoyable and rewarding. The program is broken into 4 modules with checkpoints that you need to submit to a grading team, and each module has a career prep section that will help you with your job search. I have a mentor that I meet with online once a week and am able to walk through anything I was having problems with. There is also a Slack community that is incredibly helpful. I think the best part about Bloc is that they hold you accountable. They will not give you the answers so you need to do the work in order to understand. Part of being a developer is being resourceful and they really put you to the test. Bloc also shows you how to use some of the tools that real developers use like the command line and GitHub. Some weeks are really hard and tiring, but the hard work pays off when you see the fruits of your labor. I do not have a background in tech so most of the material is completely new to me and I’m learning so much every day. I actually can’t wait to get online and work on my program. I feel like I’m finally using my brain again and that I have a second chance at having a challenging and rewarding career. I would highly recommend Bloc to anyone who is looking for a career change to web development and is willing to put in the hard work.

• erica mitchell  User Photo
    erica mitchell • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I love Bloc! I wish I had found Bloc months ago. I have wanted to become a Web Developer for many years but couldnt find a course that would allow me to continue to live my life (i.e. work a job like a responsble adult). Bloc has been awesome. It fits around my schedule so I can continue to work and volunteer my time. The coursework is not easy at all, in fact, at times it can be quite challenging which is what the work will be like so it gives you a reasonable expectation of the future. The best part by far is the support you receive from the mentors, the graders and the other students. No matter when you are working there is someone available to help you if you need it. Bloc is the best decision I have made in a long time.

• Great Program!
    - 2/23/2018
    Zoe Woodward • Web Developer • Student

I'm 5 weeks into the Bloc Web Developer Track, and so far, I love it!

The curiculum seems up to date, and thorough, and the community support is amazing.

The staff seem to be genuinely interested in the success of the students. I can't say whether or not I was able to get a job from what I have learned yet, because I still have a few months to go, but I am finally feeling like I'm getting somewhere.

I would definitely recommend Bloc to any family or friends.

• Tony C • Student

I've been a new student into the tech design world as I was looking at a plan B career or even possibly a new plan A career once the course is finished. So far, Bloc has provided so many useful tools and resources to help get you through each section with full confidence. They just added student design discussions webinars that you can attend weekly that goes over some checkpoints in the track to give you more insight of how to go about that certain project/checkpoint. Overall I would definately recommened Bloc and I can't wait to see what happens when I finish the program!

• True Beginner
    - 2/10/2018
    Ashley Miller • Student

I started the Bloc Design Track a few months ago and am incredibly satisfied. I currently work full time job and a part time job and the slowest track is definitely a manageable option. I was worried that the program would be too hard considering my background is in teaching and I have NO design or coding experience.

The information is delivered in a straightforward way and progresses logically. The exercises are al hands on explorations of the skills you just learned and focus on real UX design challenges. They are a good mix of challenging yet doable.

The best part if the amount of support I get. I have a great mentor- she always shares best practices from someone actually working in the field. Her feedback always pushes me to the next level (without making me feel overwhelmed.) In addition to that we have access to a whole network of professionals, mentors and other students on Slack. If you have a specific question it is answered within the hour, often minutes, by a mentor. Students share their work for feedback and there are always great resources being posted. There are now also daily live critiques on zoom and optional live group lectures. I haven't had a chance to jump into these yet but I am excited about the prospect.

I would definitely reccommend this to anyone working full time who is looking to change their career. It is also one of the only programs out there that offers an affordable repayment plan.

• Tyler • Student

I'm about 5 weeks into Bloc's 24 week design track, and am really satisfied with the program. My mentor has been great, and is always giving me feedback as to how my projects would be treated "in the real world," which means I'm already being prepped for the job search. She asks me questions about my projects as if we were in an interview, which again is very helpful for job search prep.

Bloc has lived up to all of the rave reviews I read here before selecting a bootcamp. The student success team is great and always has a solution. The curriculum allows you to learn quickly, but is also the right amount of challenging. Bloc recently implemented a new system where your projects are reviewed by multiple mentors instead of just one, so you receive a wide variety of experienced perspectives, which is crucial for growth.

Right now I'm in the middle of frontend fundamentals, which based on my research with the UX / Design job market, makes Bloc design grads more competitive. This was also a key reason for choosing Bloc - I didn't see a lot of other design programs that had the intensive frontend component.

• Kaya • Student

I’m doing the web developer track at Bloc and my first month has been an awesome experience. I like that it’s self paced and I get to make my own schedule. It’s challenging but they have mentors available everyday to help answer questions. My personal mentor Jacob is the best. He patiently answers all of my questions and helps me get through any kinks in my code. They also have group discussions you can sign up for that’s related to your course. Signing up for Bloc has best the best personal decision I’ve ever made and I’m confident that I’ll be job ready when I graduate!

• Laura Zaim • Venture Partner • Student

This was my first time taking an online course, and I was worried that I wouldn't get as much out of it or wouldn't be able to connect with my peers. Plus, I'm working full time while going through this course, so I was worried about flexibility and falling behind. But at Bloc, that's not the case. The 1 on 1 mentor system is critical. My mentor is great, keeps me on track, answers my questions, and gives me real life advice about the career trajectory I'm looking to get on.

In addition, Bloc is continuosly improving their offerings to make it easier to connect with other students and get feedback from multiple mentors. The slack community is very active, they've just implemented group video chats open to all and focused on specific topis like design critiques, UX, Front-end dev fundamentals, etc and switched up the grading system so that you get feedback from various experts and not just your mentor.

The curriculum is solid and the courses are easy to understand, but challenging to complete. I'm thankful to have a mentor and slack community of other students to get me through the tough parts. Overall, I highly recommend Bloc. It may be on the expensive side for an online bootcamp, but you get what you pay for, with the added flexibility of being able to take these courses from home or on the road.

• Raven Best • Academic Program Specialist • Student

I've been in the UX Design program with Bloc for over a month  now and honestly, I'ved never been so motivated to learn. The content is broken down into checkpoints and after each reading you complete an exercise to practice what you've just learned. For those who are visual/kinetic learners, this is the BEST way to absorb new material. You can work at your own pace and they give you plenty of resources if you need help. Besides tutorials built into the checkpoints, you have a personal mentor, grading team and a slack channel all dedicated to helping you do your best work. After investing so much time and money into college, I was devastated when I couldn't get a position in my field. But with bloc, you learn content that is relevant to the design field right now and I'm confident that I will get a design job when I finish, if not before. If you're struggling with your career and what to do next, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the different programs with Bloc. I would've skipped college altogether if I had learned about Bloc sooner.

• Jessica Roque  User Photo
    Jessica Roque • Student Verified via GitHub

Bloc is the tour guide that Alice must have wished she had when she first jumped down the rabbit hole.

The world of software and web development is big and full of intimidating jargon. If you try to learn on your own like I did, you might spend a large majority of your time researching all the names of languages, tools, and companies that you don't actually ever end up making much progress because you get distracted by all the shiny articles that claim you must learn this thing and that thing and this thing and that thing... It's easy to get overwhelmed.

Bloc keeps you focused and productive.

They started me off with the fundamentals that I hadn't even thought to think about and research on my own. The things like the Command Line and GitHub, tools that are essential to working like a real professional. And then we moved through the basics of HTML, CSS, Javascript, jQuery, and then for me AngularJS but for new students React, then into the backend. They did the work of deciding how much knowledge is enough to be successful for now in each subject so that you know when to move on. Over time, the pieces start to fit together and all of the sudden you're building projects with your own backend in Rails and then you know how to call an external API, and all of the sudden words like "asynchronous" and "dependency injection" that once sounded like words from a scary horror movie of All the Things You Will Never Understand have become commonplace in your vocabulary. Then you have that Aha! moment, where you discover that after the initial handholding you've become independent and can create projects largely on your own.

When you decide that you want to be a software developer, your friends and family may or may not be the kinds of people that want to talk about the future of Bitcoin and what awesome browser extenstions and Atom plugins will change your life, and they may or may not understand what you're going through when you're contemplating dropping your laptop off a balcony and quitting professional life to go join the circus. Your mentor definitely will, and the Bloc Slack community too. You can still be your old self and and love all the people that were apart of old self's activities, but you gain new people along the way that can relate to what your new self is up to.

The Bloc team is constantly iterating on their curriculum and the structure of the program, which to me is a sign of a good program. They take the feedback from their students, analyze it, and implement changes. Recently, they've added group video calls where you can opt to listen in to a mentor talk about topics like debugging, the browser, the interview STAR method, and how to job search. And though I've yet to get to this part, it seems like their Career Services team is quite helpful. They're very active on Slack by posting new job opportunities, helping with interview questions, providing feedback on email responses, and sharing insight into what's common in the interview process.

While you certainly have to put in the time and the effort in order to be successful (you are changing your entire life, after all), Bloc is the fast track to knowing how to do life as a developer.

• Love it so far!
    - 2/1/2018
    Meytal  User Photo
    Meytal • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I've been a student at Bloc for 2 months now. I'm in the Design Track, part time. So far I feel like the course has been very well presented. The classes are structured logically and progress in difficulty. Since I've joined Bloc, they have made some improvements to their system, which I think is good, because it shows that they are striving to do better all the time. I have a mentor that I like and has been very helpful. They also have a Slack community with mentors on duty to answer any questions you might have while working on projects. This has been a very pleasant experience and I highly recommend the school!

• Designer Track
    - 1/31/2018
    Denny S • Student

I started the Bloc Designer Track in December 2017. I decided to quit my previous job and make a career change. I did some coding on my own but I would classify myself as a complete beginner. Bloc has been an awesome learning experience. I decided on the Designer Track because it is a mix of User Experience, Visual Design and Frontend Basics.

The curriculum is set up great in my opinion. Bloc gives you the resources but they also make you work to find some more answers and complete projects. I like the online aspect because for me I pick up some skills quickly and others I need more practice on (like Javascript). I have had awesome mentors who give you valuable feedback throughout your time at Bloc. They are constantly upgrading the curriculum and adding to it.

I am about 30% into my program and they are already preparing me to start my job search. The support is awesome and I would highly recommend the program to anyone looking for a career change or advancement.

• Alisa Matthews  User Photo
    Alisa Matthews • UX Designer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I'd always wanted a career where I could utilize my creative talents. At first, I looked into becoming a software developer, as it's a career that doesn't require a college degree (which I don't have), and there seemed to be plenty of those online courses I could do, and not have to quit working at my full-time job. I chose Bloc because of their great ratings, mentorship program, and the successful results it produced with its graduates. To get more information on the program (and to make sure I really wanted to do this), I spoke with Susannah at Bloc. After learning more about my background and the career I wanted to transition into, Susannah recommended that I would be a great fit for the Design course at Bloc. And so, my design journey at Bloc began! Throughout the course, I developed the necessary skills I needed to become a successful UX Designer, under the guidance of a Senior UX/UI & Product Designer. I saw this mentorship as a valuable experience, a Design Apprenticeship, that college/university students didn't have in their curriculum, without having to go outside of their institution. I completed the Designer Track at their medium pace. On top of a full-time job, this was extremely challenging, but I REALLY wanted a career in design. So, I made temporary sacrifices (bye bye social life!) and dedicated myself to the course from January-October. There were many days where I showed up to work looking like I hadn't slept in months, but I knew at that time it'd eventually be worth it. I'm incredibly grateful to Bloc! I've made a successful career change into Design, something I truly love, and without having any prior design experience.  I've also landed my dream UX Design job! I highly recommend Boc's Design course to anyone wanting to make a career change.

Bloc has an acceptance rate of 100%, of which 100% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Bloc, 41% graduate. 73% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $65,411.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.

Bloc students reflected in this report as Enrolled are students who continued after 4 weeks of starting in the Part-Time Web Developer Track, Software Engineer Track, and Full Stack Track.

Read the verified report here: https://www.bloc.io/employment-and-completion-rates