bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (453) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Good school
    - 1/24/2019
    Soheb • Student

The main thing I like about Bloc is the support structure they have in place. You never really feel like you have to go through this alone. The assignment grading is very helpful and so is the staff. The path makes sense and I learn something new with every assignment.

• Sean Sullivan • Web Developer • Student

At Bloc, the apprenticeship-style curriculum makes for a great learning experience. I find that I'm able to learn the material and actually understand how it works rather than just memorize concepts. Having Slack support and weekly mentor meetings have really helped me. I have been a student at Bloc in the Web Developer track since September 17 and I would recommend it to anyone who is serious about becoming a web developer, as it provides hands-on experience working with technologies and concepts that are necessary and also relevant to what real world developers are actually using.

• Honest Review
    - 1/23/2019

Hello There!

I'm currently a student with Bloc and finishing up the last leg of my assignment/apprenticeship with the UX Design program and I must say that it has been quite a ride.

The amount of support you get in the program is on point - the slack channel is a large community on a global scale all pushing each other to finish, the technical coaches are almost always a key stroke away from getting you "unstuck" from a problem, the recorded and live class sessions are an extremely helpful resource, the student success team constantly check on your progress to ensure you are getting the best out of the program, and the mentors you meet have years of experience behind them to help you unlock your potential into a career you will break into at the conclusion of the program.

When I was researching a program to enroll with, I came across a TON of them online, but ended up narrowing down my options to two:

1. Bloc

2. Thinkful

And at the end of it all, Thinkful ended up acquiring Bloc, so that in itself speaks great volumes as to what Bloc has been achieving alongside the reputation it has built throughout the years since its inception. I'm glad I chose Bloc!

• Christina  User Photo
    Christina • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm halfway through the Designer track, and I have been enjoying the course so far! Everything they teach is relevant, and I love that you will finish the program with three case studies under your belt. My mentor, Lauren Smith, is amazing and willing to help wherever she can. I can talk to her about the course, job advice, and anything else related to UX design!

If you're thinking about choosing a Bootcamp for UX Design, I highly recommend Bloc. This isn't to say that the coursework is easy, but I truly find UXD fun. What you put in is what you get out. You have to make sure you don't slack off. I supplement this education by going to Meetups and meeting professionals in the industry.

• Great Opportunity
    - 1/22/2019
    Lena • Student

I'm in the UX/UI Designer program with Bloc and I have to say I've been very impresse with how much they've taught me. I'm in my final weeks with the class and have started applying for jobs. I've been pleasantly surprised to see that the education I've received allows me to check off almost every single requirement in a job description. I started applying to jobs just 3 weeks ago in Charlotte, NC and I have two interviews set up for this week at a much higher pay rate than expected (both are above 75K annually!).

I'd recommend Bloc to anyone. The technical coaches are available to answer any of your questions and the mentor sessions are invaluable. The only thing I would say is that if you are not 100% dedicated you WILL fall behind in your course. Stay on top of it and keep your eye on the prize!

• Nick Noel • Robotics Process Automation Developer • Graduate
    The overall experience was great. The track, I felt, was very good but could have a few tweeks made. For an example, the UX track included a portion to teach JavaScript to students. While I can understand the intentions, JavaScript is something where the foundations should be really well taught and basic programming principles and methodologies should be coupled with it. I felt the program went through it very quickly with minimal introductory concepts. Although I do believe that JavaScript/OOP is a great skill for anyone, the time spent could have been used more appropriately to drive a deeper understanding of UX methodologies or even concepts like SEO or CRO. My last 'issue' is the job seeking. They do a pretty good job with resume and CV building, but there didnt seen to be enough help making connections or bridging the gap between employer and candidates. After 5 months of consistent searching (doing what Bloc recommended for weekly applications and consistently doing projects) I did land a job and 3 offers in 1 week. Blocs advice is very good and should be used. Overall, I would do this all over again. What I mentioned above are my biggest issues which both can easily be overcame with discipline and a will to succeed and learn. The more time and work you put into the course, the more you will get out.
  • My Bloc Experience
    - 1/22/2019

I'm enrolled in Bloc’s web development program and it has been an incredible experience for me. Even though the curriculum is designed to be self-paced, I've never felt I am on my own and adrift. For my part, I commit 25+ hours each week to my course of study. Admittedly, there is a considerable learning curve; however, after the four month mark, the concepts clicked. I am able to bridge theory to practice and am looking forward to creating my portfolio over the coming months. As each day passes, I become more comfortable and confident. Additionally, I have also consistently been supported by my mentor who I meet once a week online, by the wonderful mentors who are available at all hours of the day on Slack, and the superheroes from student success, such as Taylor. I had a life changing event at the end of November and Taylor was my rock; she worked with me to resolve the concern in such a manner that my studies could continue seamlessly. If your desire is to create a firm foundation in front-end design and a future in the field of web development, the only choice is Bloc.

• Charlie Cianciolo  User Photo
    Charlie Cianciolo • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I have been in the Bloc program since July of 18. I have learned so many new skills/useful skills that I believe will take me into my job search and beyond. My mentor sessions have been fantastic and super useful in gauging my progress, my skillsets and where I need to make improvement or strides. Bloc's success team and technical coaches have provided supports whenever I needed.

I am looking forward to building my portfolio and really getting into the nitty gritty of applying for jobs. Great experience so far!!!

• Curt Hargis • Student

I am about two months in to Bloc's Designer Track and my experience so far has been great. The checkpoints in the course cover all of the concepts and skills one needs to master to succeed as a Web Designer, and the information contained in the checkpoints cover the subjects in depth and detail. The assignments at the end of each checkpoint are challenging, but Bloc provides plenty of resources and the Tech Success Team in Slack is always available to help. If you're looking for a program to join to learn Web Design i'd highly recommend Bloc.

• Overall Experience:

I have been at Bloc for a year and have waited to write a review but I am at my wits end. Since my first day, I had a mentor who was a former Bloc student. They gave me very little support and always cancelled our meetings. Looking back they really offerend any "mentoring" and was not qualified in my opinion to be a mentor yet. Luckily now I have a great mentor but honestly he is the only positive part of my Bloc expierence. The hours they say it takes to complete are not feasable. I work full time and it takes hours to finish projects, not to mention the revisions. Hey I totally get that things need revisions but its not realistic to say 1 project takes 4 hours! try more 10-15 hours realistically from start to finish. Now the grading....we are being timed to complete the program. Again, some of us have full time jobs and they are suppose to take 48 hours to grade. Well it actually takes 4-5 days...and you have to wait to continue to the next project depending on the material. I have also asked for someone to call me from the support team multiple times and yet nobody has.....luckily I have UX designers who are friends & they have taught me more than Bloc. Do not waste your money. I regret it in hindsight. I am sure there are better programs out there with more supportive staff.

Response From: Emily Pfister of Bloc
    Title: Student Success Counselor
    Friday, Jan 11 2019
    Your feedback is incredibly valuable for us and has a direct impact on the ways we continue to improve our programs.  Our goal is that you get support from a team of experienced developers who work together to ensure that you get the comprehensive feedback and guidance to progress through the program and reach your goals.

We apologize for your negative experience. We would like to do what we can to help resolve some of the issues you raised here. Please email me at emily.pfister@bloc.io at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,
    Emily
  • Excellent!
    - 11/24/2018
    Yulia  User Photo
    Yulia • Fashion Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

This school will give you the skills by putting you to work from class one.  I believe in learning by doing and this is exactly what Bloc is offering.

The program is hard and challenging, but stay focused. The support from the fellow students and coach team is always there for you.

This is one of the few programs that I found after an extensive research that gives you an opportunity to study online without quitting your current job.

I liked that they offer scholarship and a very comprehensive loan plan.

I so thankful and only looking forward to taking charge of my future career.

Yulia

- 11/15/2018
    Lucy N. • Student

My Bloc experience has been amazingly rewarding to say the least. I had abit of a background with code but after moving to a new country, trying to settle in and getting into a totally different industry, I found it difficult to get back into programming and going through the hurdles on my own, as I updated myself with the many different technologies that have come up. Mid 2017, I started doing my research, looking for a school to help me update my skills. I was fascinated by Bloc from the time I first went through their website. Being as curious as I am, I decided to schedule a call and ask a few questions. I needed to be sure of what Bloc was about - and not just going by what I saw on their website. Their response was quick, and I got satisfactory answers to my questions. I still had my fears...what if things have changed so much in the tech industry that it’s not what I thought. After a few more questions and conversations with my contact at Bloc, I decided to enrol. The 1-on-1 sessions with my mentor were full of insight on whichever topic we were discussing about. He was and still is such an inspiration and consistently encouraged me when I doubted myself. The technical coaches on Slack have been a great help when I’m stuck and blinded by frustration. More often than not, they taught me something new. The group sessions are a great chance to gain deeper understanding on a topic. Plus, they are regularly updated with current technologies. The program has a lot of work and requires dedication. The student success team is always an email away and they are ever warm and ready to help where they can. I am now on the career stage - and the feedback and assistance I have received so far, makes me confident in trusting the process and know that I will soon get to join the tech industry as a full time professional. I honestly, wish I had joined Bloc earlier on.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here