bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (453) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (49) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge

• Katie • Student

I went into Bloc.io wanting to completely change careers and had no prior knowledge of software design. I have had the most amazing experience through Bloc's program. Not only is the mentorship aspect amazing but I've learned a brand new skill and about to start applying for jobs. I am beyond grateful for the experience I've had and would recommend this program to anyone. In fact, my brother is about to go through the program because of the awesome results Bloc.io produces.

• Jessica Roque  User Photo
    Jessica Roque • Student Verified via GitHub

Bloc is the tour guide that Alice must have wished she had when she first jumped down the rabbit hole.

The world of software and web development is big and full of intimidating jargon. If you try to learn on your own like I did, you might spend a large majority of your time researching all the names of languages, tools, and companies that you don't actually ever end up making much progress because you get distracted by all the shiny articles that claim you must learn this thing and that thing and this thing and that thing... It's easy to get overwhelmed.

Bloc keeps you focused and productive.

They started me off with the fundamentals that I hadn't even thought to think about and research on my own. The things like the Command Line and GitHub, tools that are essential to working like a real professional. And then we moved through the basics of HTML, CSS, Javascript, jQuery, and then for me AngularJS but for new students React, then into the backend. They did the work of deciding how much knowledge is enough to be successful for now in each subject so that you know when to move on. Over time, the pieces start to fit together and all of the sudden you're building projects with your own backend in Rails and then you know how to call an external API, and all of the sudden words like "asynchronous" and "dependency injection" that once sounded like words from a scary horror movie of All the Things You Will Never Understand have become commonplace in your vocabulary. Then you have that Aha! moment, where you discover that after the initial handholding you've become independent and can create projects largely on your own.

When you decide that you want to be a software developer, your friends and family may or may not be the kinds of people that want to talk about the future of Bitcoin and what awesome browser extenstions and Atom plugins will change your life, and they may or may not understand what you're going through when you're contemplating dropping your laptop off a balcony and quitting professional life to go join the circus. Your mentor definitely will, and the Bloc Slack community too. You can still be your old self and and love all the people that were apart of old self's activities, but you gain new people along the way that can relate to what your new self is up to.

The Bloc team is constantly iterating on their curriculum and the structure of the program, which to me is a sign of a good program. They take the feedback from their students, analyze it, and implement changes. Recently, they've added group video calls where you can opt to listen in to a mentor talk about topics like debugging, the browser, the interview STAR method, and how to job search. And though I've yet to get to this part, it seems like their Career Services team is quite helpful. They're very active on Slack by posting new job opportunities, helping with interview questions, providing feedback on email responses, and sharing insight into what's common in the interview process.

While you certainly have to put in the time and the effort in order to be successful (you are changing your entire life, after all), Bloc is the fast track to knowing how to do life as a developer.

• Love it so far!
    - 2/1/2018
    Meytal  User Photo
    Meytal • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I've been a student at Bloc for 2 months now. I'm in the Design Track, part time. So far I feel like the course has been very well presented. The classes are structured logically and progress in difficulty. Since I've joined Bloc, they have made some improvements to their system, which I think is good, because it shows that they are striving to do better all the time. I have a mentor that I like and has been very helpful. They also have a Slack community with mentors on duty to answer any questions you might have while working on projects. This has been a very pleasant experience and I highly recommend the school!

• Alisa Matthews  User Photo
    Alisa Matthews • UX Designer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I'd always wanted a career where I could utilize my creative talents. At first, I looked into becoming a software developer, as it's a career that doesn't require a college degree (which I don't have), and there seemed to be plenty of those online courses I could do, and not have to quit working at my full-time job. I chose Bloc because of their great ratings, mentorship program, and the successful results it produced with its graduates. To get more information on the program (and to make sure I really wanted to do this), I spoke with Susannah at Bloc. After learning more about my background and the career I wanted to transition into, Susannah recommended that I would be a great fit for the Design course at Bloc. And so, my design journey at Bloc began! Throughout the course, I developed the necessary skills I needed to become a successful UX Designer, under the guidance of a Senior UX/UI & Product Designer. I saw this mentorship as a valuable experience, a Design Apprenticeship, that college/university students didn't have in their curriculum, without having to go outside of their institution. I completed the Designer Track at their medium pace. On top of a full-time job, this was extremely challenging, but I REALLY wanted a career in design. So, I made temporary sacrifices (bye bye social life!) and dedicated myself to the course from January-October. There were many days where I showed up to work looking like I hadn't slept in months, but I knew at that time it'd eventually be worth it. I'm incredibly grateful to Bloc! I've made a successful career change into Design, something I truly love, and without having any prior design experience.  I've also landed my dream UX Design job! I highly recommend Boc's Design course to anyone wanting to make a career change.

• Taylor  User Photo
    Taylor • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Bloc's Design Track has been a wonderful program for me thus far. After working in the EdTech industry for over 3 years, and more directly, at Coding Bootcamps, I've seen the ups and downs of these Bootcamps overall. A lot of them are about the "numbers", and although may be well reveered, give little attention or personalization to each student. This is where Bloc shines. Even with the "flipped model" of education (pro tip: pretty much all Bootcamps operate this way) you can see how hard the staff works to give you every tool you need to succeed. The mentorship aspect is a really wonderful resource, because that 1:1 time is precious. Many other Bootcamps can only do this in group settings, which takes away from the individual.

I searched for a couple of years to find the right Design program for me, because quitting my job to attend a Full-Time, onsite program wasn't feasible... But I'm extremely glad that it happened this way. Even with the delay in starting my career, I'm thankful that I came across Bloc and am confident that my education is in great hands (me + Bloc's model!) Cheers.

• Kolby  User Photo
    Kolby • Student Verified via GitHub

First off, I attended a community college prior to Bloc for computer security and forensics. I only went for 1 year before deciding to look into Bloc. So far, the learning approach at Bloc blows the learning approach of a traditional college out of the water.

I love that I can go through the checkpoints at my own pace. If there's a day that I'm busy then I don't have to do any work but best of all in my opinion is that I can go ahead of the curriculum as far as I want. There's never a time that I don't have work to do which is great because the curriculum and learning style is fun.

My mentor is awesome and it's nice to meet with him twice per week. Throughout the week, I'll write down any questions that I have and I get to have them all answered by my mentor during those meetings. If it's a question that is preventing me from moving forward in the checkpoints,  I can shoot my mentor a message on Bloc and he always answers within hours.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with Bloc and have learned so much. I think I learned more in the first day at Bloc than I did in an entire year of college. I think that says a lot.

• Roxanne  User Photo
    Roxanne Verified via GitHub

I’m about 1/3 into the course and am having a really good experience so far. I work full time and have odd hours sometimes and Bloc is able to accommodate my needs. The curriculum seems really good. I love that I’ll have a portfolio in the end. The job guarantee is awesome... it serves as a check on the program to provide good resources!

• Jo  User Photo
    Jo • Student Verified via GitHub

I'm just over 6 weeks into my Part time Web Developer course and thus far I'm enjoying it. My mentors and connects through Slack have been awesome in guiding and assisting me though some challenging code. This course is definitely stretching my brain muscle but I'm determined to push through and put in the time and focus so that I make the most of my time here. Since I'm not that far into the program yet I can't give a full review but I'm excited about what's in store in the coming weeks.

• Ildiko Toth  User Photo
    Ildiko Toth • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Bloc is based on the mentor-mentee model where you work once to thrice a week with a mentor who is out there in the industry doing the exact things you are studying. This is the best thing about the program. Otherwise, I also like their projects and reading assignments which are all short and to the point. They also provide references to other sites with more information should you need help. The course is all online which could be a negative to some, but I find it liberating in terms of being able to plan my time as I want, finding mentors and other students to help out via their Slack community, as well as an awesome mentor who is able to help via messages outside of our meeting times. I haven't had job assistance yet from them but that will be later down the line, thus I can't comment on that aspect. In terms of curriculum, they are always updating it as technology progresses.

I had experience and education in designing and coding before jumping onboard, but even then, the amount of effort and time it takes to really hone in those skills and get better is not an easy task. Studying at Bloc requires a lot of self-motivation and drive, which they do tell you up-front. It is like be like being a full-time student and then some. Overall I highly recommend the program - the number of hours you spend on projects and working compares to a full year of study, and compared to college prices, it's a steal for what you get.

• Joel Tennant  User Photo
    Joel Tennant • Student Verified via GitHub

Bloc is a great place to learn to code. If you put in the effort and time you can get a job in tech. Its not easy and it won’t work for complainers. Hopefully this review will help someone who is looking to join a bootcamp and get into tech. I am about 70% through the web developer track and already have a job as a software developer.

Being completely online, there is obviously a bit of flexibility in completing the course. Even though I am in the web developer, the software developer and web dev track are very similar. The only difference is where the web developer track ends, the software developer track goes on for quite a bit. The web developer, or WDT for short, can be done in 6 months or a year. I started doing the 6 month plan, but part way through I switched to the year plan. With the year plan, you get one meeting a week and only have half the weekly requirements. However, the best part is that there is no restriction on turning in work. You can work ahead as much as you and your mentor want.

Having a mentor is the biggest selling point. Most allow you to message throughout the week to a reasonable amount. Then you have your weekly meetings, 2 a week for the 6 month plan and 1 a week for the year plan. With that being said, there is a slack team that all students, regardless of track, are apart of. Mentors and other students are incredibly active on slack, making it a great place to get help or to help other students.

Coding in and of itself it tough. If you are new to programming, it won’t be easy to learn. Bootcamps kind of need to be treated like college courses. You need to be disciplined to get things done, study, and research.

Bloc’s materials are thorough and they are project oriented. Early on you build projects by following along course materials, very similar to following instructions in a textbook. But, the most fun comes out of the projects where there is no hand holding. This is the part that helps get you work. You build a portfolio of projects that you build from start to finish.

Overall, I highly recommend Bloc. If you have the dream and the drive, Bloc can help you get there.

• Steven  User Photo
    Steven • Student Verified via GitHub

I'm almost two months into the software developer track and have loved every second of it. Bloc's mentors and student advisors provide comfort and advice whenever needed and their curriculum is top notch. The most sought-after programming trends and technologies in today's software job market are covered or at least touched upon throughout Bloc's curriculum.

Every day on Bloc is another tough but rewarding step on my journey to become a software developer.

• The Best
    - 9/11/2017
    Samuel B  User Photo
    Samuel B • Student Verified via GitHub

I am 3 months into the Web-Development Track with Bloc.

​I considered many different 'bootcamp' courses and i'm so relieved i ended up with Bloc.

1. The flexibility - i live in London, i teach part-time, i have a family. Bloc allows me to manage all this as a human-being, yes i have to commit hours each day but i can work these within my schedule and get it done from anywhere in the world!

​2.The mentors - not only is my mentor highly skilled in coding, this would amount to nothing without the ability to break things down to me on my level and also help me to keep my energy and motivation levels up.

​3.The curriculum - i am learning and absoribing great stuff each day.

​Highly Recommended!!

• Erica Hernandez  User Photo
    Erica Hernandez Verified via GitHub

I am a current student in the Software Developer track. I think coming in with some knowledge of coding, even if it's very basic, like one Codecademy course, will make things easier. My mentor is extremely knowledgeable and he's quick to answer any questions I have. I went into the program thinking the mentor meetings were going to be annoying or awkward, but they're neither. They're incredibly informative and it's the best part about Bloc. I can't recommend this program enough to anyone that's very serious about making Software Development a career.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here