bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (442) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (48) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge

• Tyler Leroy Poore • Compliance Manager • Student

In my opinion the pros of attending bloc are the always helpful slack community and the meticulously informative support teams. I may be biased, but, the coursework for career advice and searching is incredibly invaluable.

I would say the downsides, seems I was a one off in this case, is the mentoring. In my case most of my mentors were no shows, not to mention I missed a few along the way as well, though we ended up just forfeiting mentor meetings near the end either way.

• SONGTING HU • Student

I heard about Bloc thru a friend. She was also studying in the designer track. I chose to enroll with Bloc because I heard it has a mentor program. Every week I can have a 30-mins online meeting with my mentor. I don't have any background with web design, so having someone to ask for help is very necessary.

Bloc also has couple slack channels where I can chat with other bloc students, see their works and leave feedback. If my mentor is not available, I can ask other mentor questions via slack.

As for the curriculum, it is well designed even if anyone has no experience with it. All the learning materials are easy to understand without tons of reading. Good for someone who doesn't have a lot of time doing reading. However, I would still suggest people read outside sources to boost your knowledge and keep you updated. All the information in each checkpoint is the very basic, important and necessary pieces that can help you to get it started.

The workload is intense. People need to treat it seriously and plan accordingly to make sure you can contribute your time and energy into learning. I fully understand that it is hard to motivate yourself to work hard every day, so make sure you set up a plan for yourself at the very beginning.

The grading team who access your checkpoint work is very responsive and professional. Although sometimes I felt frustrated to revise my work again and again, I learned a lot from them. I really appreciate the opportunity to receive feedback from different perspectives.

Overall, Bloc is a good choice if you want to start a designer job without any experience. Even though it cannot guarantee that you can 100% get a job, it gives you enough skills and insights to boost your confidence to explore in this area.

• Chance Sharp

This was a great investment! This gave me an edge with my existing skillset and was such a great value when compared to other bootcamps. I had great help from the student success team and my mentor. This was a perfect fit because I was able to keep my job and work on it part-time and work as fast as I wanted.

Definitely worth it!!

• Jason • Student

I attended Bloc's Web Developer track Sep 2018-Present and unfortunately did not have a positive experience.

The majority of the course is a "monkey see monkey do" approach, following checkpoints and coding along, followed by assignments relevant to the checkpoint.  Technical assessments occur at the end of each module to be sure you're prepared to move onto the next.  Throughout the course students have access to Technical Coaches via Slack to assist when you get stuck.

In theory there is nothing wrong with this approach and for what it's worth Bloc did help open the doors to the wide world of web development, I do plan to continue into this field. However I feel there are much more effective, efficient and inexpensive ways to learn this material.  One of the key issues and my main reason for wanting to warn others is the quality of the curriculum. Although the subject matter is ok, the checkpoints are littered with typos.  These typos range from annoying, but insignificant, spelling and grammar issues in the checkpoints, to much more frustrating typos and errors in the actual code students are told to copy precisely in order to get their programs to work.

On countless occasions I would follow directions precisely only to find my program didn't work as expected. After spending time, typically an hour or two or more, looking for bugs and reviewing the checkpoint over and over, I'd try Slack for support from a Technical Coach. An average wait time for technical coaching was anywhere from 20-30+ minutes and once someone finally begins chatting with you, 15-35+ minutes would elapse between replies, sometimes even longer. More often then not this would equate to a total of anywhere from 2-5 hours of back and forth trying to get a program to work. To make matters worse, technical coaches work part time hours (I believe) so after spending several hours with one coach trying to get something to work, you'd be informed their shift was ending and someone else would be there to help. In this case I found myself typically starting back at the beginning, reexplaining my problem trying to resolve the issue with the same 15-35+ min gaps between replies. This agonizing cycle continued to happen again and again and again so I decided I'd stick to Udemy and other programs to further my education since Bloc was only leading to frustration and feeling discouraged.  Like most in the program I was balancing this with full time work, so my free time was prescious and couldn't justify spending hours and hours on weekends and evenings just waiting for assistance.

In the majority of cases, after wasting literally hours of time, I'd be told the issue I was experiencing was caused by a typo in the checkpoint's code and to just move on and ignore it. Since Slack is a chat community where you can see other threads from other students looking for support, I'd often see students running into the exact same problems with typos I had run into, only to be told the same thing by the technical coach - that it's just a typo and to move on. There were times I saw this happen MONTHS after I had encountered the same typo, which tells me Bloc is not interested in the feedback they receive from their students as these problems are not being fixed in a timely manner.

Although Bloc offers "Group Sessions" (live and prerecorded video content focused on specific topics), the videos are subpar. All of the videos I tried to watch, simple technical issues, like the host's screen share being so zoomed out you can't see any actual code, made it frustrating and pointless to attempt to learn this way. I often found myself relying on YouTube and Udemy for far superior content.

My recommendations would be:
    1) Pay the money and go to a program with an actual campus so you can get quality assistance as needed (like Turing or something...)
    2) Purchase a handful of Udemy courses for cheap (and or use other free programs like Odin Project, Free Code Camp, Codecademy, etc) and find some help at codementor.com for one on one support. You'll save money AND likely have a better experience than Bloc can offer.

Lesson here is you get what you pay for and Bloc is just about the cheapest program out there.  So I guess it shouldn't be surprising this was my experience.

• Greg Wheeler • Student

I started the Bloc program in October of 2018. This has been one of the most rewarding and challenging seasons of my life. I am working full time while doing the boot camp in the early mornings and late evenings. The one thing I can tell you is that it’s on YOU to make it happen. You have to get disciplined and set up routines and systems especially if you’re doing this on top of another job.

What I love about the program is that it’s set up for you to succeed even if you don’t have design experience or design background. I also love that it covers all things UX/UI and some front-end stuff. It’s an all-encompassing boot camp! By allowing myself to get my feet wet in all aspects of design, I’ve been able to identify which path I want to pursue.

Another great thing is the once a week 30 minute one on one mentor sessions. SO worth it. I’ve been able to dive deep and cover so many topics with my mentors and they are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

They also do a great job of assisting you in marketing yourself for when you’re applying for jobs.

Overall, it's been a really awesome experience!

• Totally worth it!
    - 5/10/2019
    Julian • Product Manager • Graduate

An amazing time. The way I think through problems and designed solutions has changed dramatically for good. While I am not a pure UX/UI Designer, having developed these skills has helped me get a dream job as Senior Product Manager in Munich.

A core component of the program is the Daily Design Critique, where you can submit your work (no matter your level) and get very actionable feedback on how to improve it. You can also attend those sessions and see how other students are doing, what they had designed and what feedback they get.

My only feedback right now has to do with job assistance: My plans where to get a job in Europe, but the service was only available for US & Canada. If you plan to rely on the institution to increase the likelihood of getting a job, please keep that in mind!

• Katie • Student

I went into Bloc.io wanting to completely change careers and had no prior knowledge of software design. I have had the most amazing experience through Bloc's program. Not only is the mentorship aspect amazing but I've learned a brand new skill and about to start applying for jobs. I am beyond grateful for the experience I've had and would recommend this program to anyone. In fact, my brother is about to go through the program because of the awesome results Bloc.io produces.

• Sasha F. • Associate UX Designer • Graduate

I reached the end of my time at Bloc a few months ago and this has been my first week as a designer at an enterprise software company. I'll break down my review into the aspects I found most helpful when searching for a bootcamp.

Background: I had no previous experience in tech or design. I worked in education as a teacher and counselor before deciding to enroll in Bloc to make a career switch into UX Design. I worked full-time while completing Bloc.

Tools: Most students use Figma or Sketch. The Bloc team generally encourages Figma because of its collaborative capabilities and because it's free but this is left open-ended. Get what works for you! I used Figma throughout the program and had to switch to Sketch for my job but the platforms are similar enough where I didn't have too much trouble making the switch. When interviewing, I found that there was no real preference for tools but most were using Sketch in my area.

Curriculum: The Bloc program is broken down into mainly three areas: design, front-end development, and a capstone project (if you have time left in your program, you can do 1-3 different capstone projects). The introduction to design really gives you both a historical and theoretical look at design; they provide several videos and external resources to supplement your learning which is great. The front-end portion of the program is really what helps separate Bloc from other bootcamps, and I can't stress enough how helpful it's been for me in understanding basic aspects of development (HTML, CSS, Javascript, Git/Github, the DOM, etc.) Knowing how to prototype with code is a valuable skill in the industry and made some companies more interested in me as an interviewee. But outside of the job market, it also helps you to be able to communicate effectively with engineers on your team and understand where they're coming from.

The capstone projects are really great because you, as a student, determine what you're going to design and really what problem you are going to solve. Some common complaints from hiring managers about bootcamps are that all bootcamp grads end up with the same portfolio. This is absolutely not the case at Bloc! We each have a very different portfolio because of these projects and are able to develop a portfolio that plays up our skills in design. Are you coming from a different industry? Do a design project that solves a problem you faced within your last role. In this way, you develop your story as a designer which is key in the job search process and you also show how your skills are transferable into a different career.

Concerning portfolios, Bloc students design and code their own. This means no Squarespace, Wordpress, Wix or other similar sites. So again, your portfolio can stand out and you can showcase your front-end skills.

Mentorship: While all of this can seem somewhat intimidating, hands down what I loved most about Bloc was the mentorship and the community. Bloc has such an active Slack community with mentors available at almost any time. There are dedicated channels with technical coaches to help you solve whatever is challenging to you. This is especially life-saving when you’re coding your portfolio and your code breaks. On top of the curriculum, there are also live video sessions dedicated to different topics: Design Systems, Designing Instagram, Coding with Javascript, talking to alumni, etc. The most helpful session for me was always the Daily Design Critique. Students submit their work and get feedback from a senior designer and their peers for improvement. Being able to respond to feedback is a very important skill as a designer and Bloc helped me develop a thicker skin when accepting criticism. But at the same time, it was always in a helpful and supportive manner.

Job Search and Career Support: Another great aspect of Bloc is the personal career coach you receive after completing your curriculum. Since its Thinkful acquisition, Bloc has been really great about sending your application to different companies to help you. Just from Bloc introductions, I was able to get to the final stage at a company in Mountain View and several introductory calls with hiring managers or recruiters. My career mentor was extremely helpful and supportive. If I came across a role, I would ask her if she could make an introduction, and she would always do her best to make it happen. Also, when completing design assignments as part of the interview process, I had access to any mentor with experience pertaining to the role. Though one mentor was based all the way in South America, he went out of his way to review my design assignment before I submitted it to the hiring manager. I received such positive feedback from that interview and made it to the final stage despite their trepidations about my lack of experience because of the feedback he provided me.

Final Thoughts: Bloc was really great, but any student signing up should be mindful that the program alone isn’t always enough to get a role. For myself, because I live in such a competitive area (San Francisco), competition was high and I had to freelance for a bit to build up my portfolio and experience before a company was willing to take a chance. My ability to get freelance roles, however, would not have been possible without Bloc. And with their help and that of my mentor, I landed a position in about 3 months.

There are definitely certain areas I think Bloc can improve, but overall I think it was well worth the money and the time. I hope within the curriculum, web developer track and designer track students can collaborate to design and build a capstone because it gives students real practice with handoffs. Bloc should also develop a doc of Slack channels dedicated to Design because jobs are often posted there and it's a great way to network off Twitter.

It took me a year to complete the program and was stressful at times but it was worth it to make such an incredible career transition. Thank you, Bloc team!

• Designer Track
    - 4/1/2019
    Rachel • Associate Product Designer • Graduate

Choosing Bloc as my way into the UX/UI design field was hands-down the best decision I ever made. I learned a tremendous amount of information in a relatively short amount of time, and I feel that I got real exposure to the world of digital product design and UX/UI. I chose Bloc out of other online bootcamps because unlike other bootcamps, Bloc focuses on front-end development in addition to UX/UI design. Learning HTML and CSS was definitely a challenge, but I have become proficient and was even able to code my design portfolio from scratch. This is only one example of the application of Bloc's curriculum and being a designer with the ability to code was something that really impressed potential employers.

I finished Bloc in 11 months and took about 3 months to find a job. One of my most favorite parts of the Bloc experience was working with the career services team, and I found them to be invaluable to the entire experience. I got regular, personalized career advice from proven professionals in the field as well as a whole lot of emotional support. My career coach helped me with things like phrasing cold emails and follow up messages as well as "professional etiquette" such as figuring out the appropriate amount of time to reach back out to an employer, navigating tricky interview questions, and so much more. I think that the information and resources that the career team provides are definitely not something that someone can get from a university/higher education career center.

I just started my new design position at a NYC startup, and I could not be more grateful for the Bloc experience and everyone who helped me get here!

• I have a job!!
    - 3/28/2019
    Emily S. • Front End Engineer

Okay so I could sit here and write about how nice Bloc's program is- how it's flexible, great to be able to learn the material online, and how they have a great support system, but let's face it. The REAL reason I went to bootcamp was to switch careers. I'm not going to lie, I was skeptical about the whole idea of "changing careers in 8 months". But low and behold, I DOUBLED my salary and have a job at a startup. I landed the 5th job I applied for, 2nd that I interviewed for, and I had the offer paperwork signed within a month and a half of graduation. They aren't kidding when they say skills are more important than a degree. While the job search process was pretty seamless, they have an AMAZING career support team that helps with interview prep, negotiation, applications, etc. upon graduation. If those of you working dead end jobs like I was before this program, I highly reccomend making the switch.

• Jessica • Student

I have been enrolled in Bloc's Web Development course since January, and I must say, I'm loving it. Is paying for an online program necessary to learn web development? Absolutely not. But for me, it was without a doubt the right decision. The biggest value I get from Bloc is that it keeps me on track, and it gives me a clear path of what I should be learning, and at what pace. My self-study would probably take twice as long if it wasn't for the curriculum constantly moving me forward. Plus, it introduces me to concepts that I wouldn't necessarily think to learn about on my own. Aside from that, the feedback I get from the grading coaches is great, it really helps me see what I am doing right and wrong. I also look forward to my weekly calls with my mentor. I learn a lot about the practical aspects of being a developer in those meetings.

There's also other support channels, such as the student slack channel, and the daily group sessions (plus tons of recorded videos to go through), so the support in this course is second to none.

Another support-related aspect that drew me to this course was the career component. And now that I am in the course, I can say that it truly is as helpful as I expected. What I didn't want from paying for a 'boot camp' of sorts was for them to teach you a bunch of code, and spit you out. That's not the feeling I've gotten from Bloc at all. It seems that student success was built into the model, and that everyone involved really wants to see you succeed.

I don't even want to call what I am about to say critiques, because it is at no fault of Bloc, but they are more just things to be aware of before entering the program:

- I find that at times, Bloc does not provide every single resource you need to learn the material. I end up spending about as much time on Bloc material as I do learning from other resources. I believe that I read somewhere that is intentional. It is no way a bad thing, especially for me as I enjoy learning from different sources with different teaching styles, it's just something to be aware of.

- Second, this program is HARD. Don't expect that because you are paying for a program, it will suddenly become easier. I am lucky enough to find myself in a situation that allows me to study full-time, and I have no idea how people do this part-time. I feel that even putting in 40 hours per week, I still always feel like I should be doing more. Granted, at the pace I am on, it is estimated that I will finish 2 months before my "end date", so I'm not running out of time; there's just SO much to learn. Also, take this with a grain of salt. People pick up on things at different paces. But if you are brand new to programming, make sure you have AT LEAST the minimum amount of time per week that Bloc recommends, I think it's 20 hours?

This program is a lot of hard work, but there really is no better feeling than when your code starts working. I can't wait to see where the rest of my journey with Bloc takes me, and then to my career beyond. I absolutely recommend Bloc to anyone that is not going the traditional CS degree route, as I find it reasonably priced compared to other online programs, and the experience thus far has been superb.

• Horacio Gutierrez • Student

Bloc has an amazing methodology to ramp up students into the world of UX/UI design.   The quality of content and instructors is wonderful to help you move forward when you get stuck.  Bloc offers a tuition reimbursement guarantee because they know that once you graduate from their program, you will find a job for sure!  In my opinion, with the high quality of content and instructors, it would be unfair to ask Bloc for my money back because I've learned more than I thought I could learn in this short period of time.

• Bloc Review
    - 2/24/2019
    Jacob Yun • Graduate

Bloc was my choice for a bootcamp for web development. The course itself was very organized and the curriculum covered a lot of material. I chose Bloc since unlike some other bootcamps, there was a mentorship system where I was able to dive into web developer fundamentals with senior level engineers. The mentors provided guidance and essentially led me through the curriculum and were easy to communicate with through Slack.

Post grad job assistance was helpful, but it mainly was on you as the grad to make your own progress, it's not like the Bloc team is going to find a job for you, they'll be there to help you out with resume questions, cover letters, as well as interviews. The Bloc team is easy to reach out to and they get back to you pretty quickly if you have any urgent questions.

• Colson Crim • Student

I am about halfway through Bloc's Web Developer track and I've had a great experience so far. The curriculum is up to date and is constantly being updated to the tech industry standards. You will learn programming essentials like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and React. Not to mention computer science fundamentals and the server side portion of the course, where you will learn the fundamentals of Node.js. Once you begin looking for a career as a web developer, you will find that most job listings are searching for individuals with this exact skill set! Bloc is determined to set you up for success and prepare you for your new career.

If you are concerned about taking a fully online course, don't be. Bloc's mentors and Slack community full of industry experts will be there to help you through any sections of the curriculum that you find to be difficult. For anyone who needs a flexible school schedule, and is looking for a relatively inexpensive education in web development, I highly recommend Bloc.

• My Bloc Experience
    - 2/14/2019
    Christian Reyes • Student

Bloc has been a tremendously fantastic experience for me. All throughout the program, I've received nothing but help when I needed it and great course material. The program material is easy to read and very easy to follow along with and it pushes you to dig a little deeper on your own to fully grasp what it's saying.

The technical support team is extremely fast and they work with you throughout the problem or the question you have. I've never had a negative experience or one where the code coaches couldn't relay the information or help to me in a way I couldn't understand. The mentor meetings help tremendously and the one on one weekly meetings help solidify areas where I may feel a little wobbly on.

I recommend Bloc 100% for the go-to code school to anyone looking to learn web development. The fact that it's online and not very pricey is the cherry on top.

• So far so good!
    - 2/13/2019
    Renuka • Student

Hi, I started with Bloc in November. So far its been good. I wanted to get into programming and learn how to be able to build my own websites, build some for friends etc while being able to understand all the programming concepts that go into web development. I am only in my second module so I cannot give any review on how this program helped me with job search yet. Also, several people learn web programming on their own, I have tried learning some tools on my own in the past, but when I am stuck, I didnt know how to go about it and then eventually my desire to learn it would fizzle it. Yes, inspite of searching for answers on StackOverflow, Reddit, Medium etc. Bloc still makes you do that, makes you search for answers (because one should be able to find your way out, you are not going to have a mentor in realtime getting you out of situations) but if you are absolutely stuck then the grading team members point you in the right direction. They almost always respond promptly and when you need explanations about concepts then you have the weekly mentor sessions where you can get them clarified.

The reason I went for a online option is because I am also searching for a job, and had I found one or if I find one even now, then I dont want to take the job but leave the web development learning or leave the job and do the course. I want to be able to do both.

Bloc also gave me a scholarship-woman in tech!:) which was great too because I wasnt ready to spend $16K yet which some of the other coding bootcamps charge.

The online Slack community is great too!

• Designer Track
    - 2/13/2019
    Alexandra • ELA Instructor

I have so enjoyed my experience at Bloc. They really put their money where their mouth is and support people who don't usually find a place in this male-dominated industry. My mentors have helped me find my niche and allowed me to tailor the program to best suit my needs. The program is mastery-based, so you don't simply get pushed and passed through. Very impressed and glad I went with this option.

• Good school
    - 1/24/2019
    Soheb • Student

The main thing I like about Bloc is the support structure they have in place. You never really feel like you have to go through this alone. The assignment grading is very helpful and so is the staff. The path makes sense and I learn something new with every assignment.

• Sean Sullivan • Web Developer • Student

At Bloc, the apprenticeship-style curriculum makes for a great learning experience. I find that I'm able to learn the material and actually understand how it works rather than just memorize concepts. Having Slack support and weekly mentor meetings have really helped me. I have been a student at Bloc in the Web Developer track since September 17 and I would recommend it to anyone who is serious about becoming a web developer, as it provides hands-on experience working with technologies and concepts that are necessary and also relevant to what real world developers are actually using.

• Great Opportunity
    - 1/22/2019
    Lena • Student

I'm in the UX/UI Designer program with Bloc and I have to say I've been very impresse with how much they've taught me. I'm in my final weeks with the class and have started applying for jobs. I've been pleasantly surprised to see that the education I've received allows me to check off almost every single requirement in a job description. I started applying to jobs just 3 weeks ago in Charlotte, NC and I have two interviews set up for this week at a much higher pay rate than expected (both are above 75K annually!).

I'd recommend Bloc to anyone. The technical coaches are available to answer any of your questions and the mentor sessions are invaluable. The only thing I would say is that if you are not 100% dedicated you WILL fall behind in your course. Stay on top of it and keep your eye on the prize!

• Nick Noel • Robotics Process Automation Developer • Graduate
    The overall experience was great. The track, I felt, was very good but could have a few tweeks made. For an example, the UX track included a portion to teach JavaScript to students. While I can understand the intentions, JavaScript is something where the foundations should be really well taught and basic programming principles and methodologies should be coupled with it. I felt the program went through it very quickly with minimal introductory concepts. Although I do believe that JavaScript/OOP is a great skill for anyone, the time spent could have been used more appropriately to drive a deeper understanding of UX methodologies or even concepts like SEO or CRO. My last 'issue' is the job seeking. They do a pretty good job with resume and CV building, but there didnt seen to be enough help making connections or bridging the gap between employer and candidates. After 5 months of consistent searching (doing what Bloc recommended for weekly applications and consistently doing projects) I did land a job and 3 offers in 1 week. Blocs advice is very good and should be used. Overall, I would do this all over again. What I mentioned above are my biggest issues which both can easily be overcame with discipline and a will to succeed and learn. The more time and work you put into the course, the more you will get out.
  • Curt Hargis • Student

I am about two months in to Bloc's Designer Track and my experience so far has been great. The checkpoints in the course cover all of the concepts and skills one needs to master to succeed as a Web Designer, and the information contained in the checkpoints cover the subjects in depth and detail. The assignments at the end of each checkpoint are challenging, but Bloc provides plenty of resources and the Tech Success Team in Slack is always available to help. If you're looking for a program to join to learn Web Design i'd highly recommend Bloc.

- 11/15/2018
    Lucy N. • Student

My Bloc experience has been amazingly rewarding to say the least. I had abit of a background with code but after moving to a new country, trying to settle in and getting into a totally different industry, I found it difficult to get back into programming and going through the hurdles on my own, as I updated myself with the many different technologies that have come up. Mid 2017, I started doing my research, looking for a school to help me update my skills. I was fascinated by Bloc from the time I first went through their website. Being as curious as I am, I decided to schedule a call and ask a few questions. I needed to be sure of what Bloc was about - and not just going by what I saw on their website. Their response was quick, and I got satisfactory answers to my questions. I still had my fears...what if things have changed so much in the tech industry that it’s not what I thought. After a few more questions and conversations with my contact at Bloc, I decided to enrol. The 1-on-1 sessions with my mentor were full of insight on whichever topic we were discussing about. He was and still is such an inspiration and consistently encouraged me when I doubted myself. The technical coaches on Slack have been a great help when I’m stuck and blinded by frustration. More often than not, they taught me something new. The group sessions are a great chance to gain deeper understanding on a topic. Plus, they are regularly updated with current technologies. The program has a lot of work and requires dedication. The student success team is always an email away and they are ever warm and ready to help where they can. I am now on the career stage - and the feedback and assistance I have received so far, makes me confident in trusting the process and know that I will soon get to join the tech industry as a full time professional. I honestly, wish I had joined Bloc earlier on.

• Cherie Marquez • Marketing and Communications Director

I'm almost 75% complete into my bloc program for in the design track and I've been very happy so far. Bloc has really allowed me to explore new opportunities, learn new things, challenge myself and all with the support of an incredible team. Every mentor at Bloc truly cares and wants all their students to achieve the very best. In addition, the community at Bloc is extremely supportive and collaborative.

I know once I complete the Bloc program it will open the door to many new adventures of my career. A program that I highly encourage anyone to be a part of.

• Bloc is awesome.
    - 10/21/2018
    Laura • Student

I definitely recommend Bloc if you are looking into getting into web development. Prior to becoming a student, I took a lot of time researching which bootcamp I wanted to attend so I thought I'd start there. I read tons of reviews on coursereport touching on at least twenty different bootcamps. I first narrowed the plethora of options down by choosing an online school versus an in-person school because I do work and did not want to quit my day job. Second, I really narrowed it down further by deciding to go with a school that did a job guarantee. For me, I am looking to do a career change and wanted a school that taught current/relevant languages and tools to help me get there. And for a school to do a job guarantee told me they really stand by their 'product.' Pretty much the last main deciding factor was the length of time to complete the program. Originally I liked the idea of finishing as quickly as possible but realistically that would be difficult for me. I work, I have two young children (ages 2 and 4) who require a lot of my attention and care, and a house to maintain. So that's why I decided to go with Bloc. It should take about 8 months to complete the web developer route, which is still fast in terms of school. But it does not require me to put in 40 hours of school each week like some of the other schools which I simply can not afford to give. So now I am a few months in and learning tons. As a current student, I will give you a breakdown of my experience with a pros and cons list. :)

Pros:

1. I've learned sooo much in such a short amount of time. I tried learning on my own but my progress was so slow and I really didn't know the best order of which I needed to learn everything in. I realize now it would have taken me years to get where I am at now had I tried to do this on my own.

2. I've had two great mentors that really know their stuff and have been able to explain the harder to understand concepts. It is very difficult to learn this on your own, so to have someone that helps you when you get stuck and makes sure you keep on track is so important.

3. The slack team is also immensely helpful. You only 'meet up' with your mentor once a week but when you're working on assignments the other six days of the week that's where this team is awesome. Whenever I get stuck on a checkpoint or assignment and I've tried everything I can but I can't seem to get my code to work, then I reach out on slack and get the support I need. I only wish that once I graduate and get my first job, that I could take this team and my mentor with me. :)

4. The tools are also a major plus for me. Web development isn't just about knowing HTML/CSS/JavaScript. You've got to learn things like Github, React, and other things as well which will make your life easier.

Cons:

1. Now this pertains to the curriculum, for every new topic that we are learning, I only wish that we had more time and practice with it. To really learn something and to get good at it, you need repetition. So what I would like to see is extra practice questions/scenarios on each topic just to make sure you have it down. I wouldn't even want to necessarily be graded on them. And I find myself having to do a ton of outside research as well to try to understand what I am learning here. But I did sign up for a bootcamp. There is sooo much to learn in such a short amount of time, you really only get to see the tip of the iceberg on each subject. I know it's up to me to put in as much time in as I possibly can during school and even after it to truly master it.

Now I have not utilized the job assistance as of yet so I can not give a positive or negative review on this subject. There have been these career prep assignments and reading materials to go through that I have found very helpful though so far.

Overall, I've had a great experience so far and would recommend this school.

Bloc has an acceptance rate of 100%, of which 100% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Bloc, 41% graduate. 73% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $65,411.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.

Bloc students reflected in this report as Enrolled are students who continued after 4 weeks of starting in the Part-Time Web Developer Track, Software Engineer Track, and Full Stack Track.

Read the verified report here: https://www.bloc.io/employment-and-completion-rates