bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (453) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Love this place!
    - 3/7/2019
    Austin MacAdam  User Photo
    Austin MacAdam • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am mad at myself for not finding this place faster. i love the style and the speed as well as the work load! the mentors are FANTASTIC and everyone is there to help you. you dont have to know what you are doing to start...it will help, but not needed. Bloc is with you and will help you whenever you need the help. Be that through Slack or mentors! overall love this bootcamp and would recomend it to anyone interested !

• Horacio Gutierrez • Student

Bloc has an amazing methodology to ramp up students into the world of UX/UI design.   The quality of content and instructors is wonderful to help you move forward when you get stuck.  Bloc offers a tuition reimbursement guarantee because they know that once you graduate from their program, you will find a job for sure!  In my opinion, with the high quality of content and instructors, it would be unfair to ask Bloc for my money back because I've learned more than I thought I could learn in this short period of time.

• Oliver   User Photo
    Oliver • Student Verified via GitHub

PROS:
    The learning process is project based, meaning you learn through creating real-world projects (ie. a Reddit Clone, a Wiki site) that will not only give you a great learning experience but will give you a basis of work for your portfolio when it comes time to apply for jobs.

The Slack channel runs 24/7 with tech agents that are there to help you work through any bugs or confusion you are having. They don't give you the answers, they teach you how to debug and solve it yourself so you can learn how to get unstuck in the future.

You have a mentor meeting once a week to get one on one help from Bloc alums who are actively working in the field.

Bloc forces you to learn to network and then to put it into practice. You will have to attend in person events, do some cold outreach emails to get in touch with local professionals, and write to companies you are interested in. It's stressful at first, but it is worth it, and it also allows you to create an in-person community which makes up for the fact that you are learning online.

Each module ends with a career development section where you spend a few checkpoints working on things like resumes, active networking, interview practice, and doing research on the job market where you are applying. Having this spread out across your time at Bloc is really useful and is a great primer for the final job search module.

The assessments at the end of each module are structured like a technical interview. Which like the rest of the Bloc curriculum is great practice for when you are going into the professional world.

CONS:

It is self paced, there is no given timeline and no one setting deadlines for you to finish checkpoints. I actually liked the self paced nature, but you are someone who needs more structure in order to stay on track then Bloc is not the best choice for you. However, if you are able to self-motivate and keep yourself on track and accountable then you will be fine.

• Zully  User Photo
    Zully • Product/UI Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Bloc was my first experience with an online bootcamp but I have to say I doubt it gets much better than this. I was very careful with my selection and reviewed many programs before I made my choice because it is a pretty significant time and money investment. I have been really impressed with the thoughtfulness and relevance of the curriculum and depth of knowledge you can obtain if you put in the time. That said, it is definitely not a course for people not willing or able to put in the time. If you work full-time it's challenging to keep up but it's definitely worthwhile. The mentors are knowledgeable and great to work with and I've definitley learned a lot.

• Bloc Review
    - 2/24/2019
    Jacob Yun • Graduate

Bloc was my choice for a bootcamp for web development. The course itself was very organized and the curriculum covered a lot of material. I chose Bloc since unlike some other bootcamps, there was a mentorship system where I was able to dive into web developer fundamentals with senior level engineers. The mentors provided guidance and essentially led me through the curriculum and were easy to communicate with through Slack.

Post grad job assistance was helpful, but it mainly was on you as the grad to make your own progress, it's not like the Bloc team is going to find a job for you, they'll be there to help you out with resume questions, cover letters, as well as interviews. The Bloc team is easy to reach out to and they get back to you pretty quickly if you have any urgent questions.

• Colson Crim • Student

I am about halfway through Bloc's Web Developer track and I've had a great experience so far. The curriculum is up to date and is constantly being updated to the tech industry standards. You will learn programming essentials like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and React. Not to mention computer science fundamentals and the server side portion of the course, where you will learn the fundamentals of Node.js. Once you begin looking for a career as a web developer, you will find that most job listings are searching for individuals with this exact skill set! Bloc is determined to set you up for success and prepare you for your new career.

If you are concerned about taking a fully online course, don't be. Bloc's mentors and Slack community full of industry experts will be there to help you through any sections of the curriculum that you find to be difficult. For anyone who needs a flexible school schedule, and is looking for a relatively inexpensive education in web development, I highly recommend Bloc.

• So Innovative
    - 2/20/2019

I had another career and really didn't enjoy what I was doing but didn't want to go back to school for another 4-8 years to switch careers. I looked into software design programs and realized this is something I really wanted to do but when I found Bloc, I was blown away at how hands-on the program was and how it truly prepared you for real-world experience. It also is continually being updated changes it's curriculum based on what's currently going on in the tech world. My mentor has supported me along the way and I'm so excited to get a job once I finish. Bloc place has changed my life!

• Design Track
    - 2/19/2019

I have a lot of previous design experience but I wanted to learn UX design inside and out. I'm still in the early part but I feel like I made a great decision choosing Bloc. It's a great fit for me and it's been very flexible which is exactly what I needed as I juggle other responsibilities. The curriculum isn't easy but the instructors are great and they give you plenty of help when you get stuck.

• My Bloc Experience
    - 2/14/2019
    Christian Reyes • Student

Bloc has been a tremendously fantastic experience for me. All throughout the program, I've received nothing but help when I needed it and great course material. The program material is easy to read and very easy to follow along with and it pushes you to dig a little deeper on your own to fully grasp what it's saying.

The technical support team is extremely fast and they work with you throughout the problem or the question you have. I've never had a negative experience or one where the code coaches couldn't relay the information or help to me in a way I couldn't understand. The mentor meetings help tremendously and the one on one weekly meetings help solidify areas where I may feel a little wobbly on.

I recommend Bloc 100% for the go-to code school to anyone looking to learn web development. The fact that it's online and not very pricey is the cherry on top.

• So far so good!
    - 2/13/2019
    Renuka • Student

Hi, I started with Bloc in November. So far its been good. I wanted to get into programming and learn how to be able to build my own websites, build some for friends etc while being able to understand all the programming concepts that go into web development. I am only in my second module so I cannot give any review on how this program helped me with job search yet. Also, several people learn web programming on their own, I have tried learning some tools on my own in the past, but when I am stuck, I didnt know how to go about it and then eventually my desire to learn it would fizzle it. Yes, inspite of searching for answers on StackOverflow, Reddit, Medium etc. Bloc still makes you do that, makes you search for answers (because one should be able to find your way out, you are not going to have a mentor in realtime getting you out of situations) but if you are absolutely stuck then the grading team members point you in the right direction. They almost always respond promptly and when you need explanations about concepts then you have the weekly mentor sessions where you can get them clarified.

The reason I went for a online option is because I am also searching for a job, and had I found one or if I find one even now, then I dont want to take the job but leave the web development learning or leave the job and do the course. I want to be able to do both.

Bloc also gave me a scholarship-woman in tech!:) which was great too because I wasnt ready to spend $16K yet which some of the other coding bootcamps charge.

The online Slack community is great too!

• Designer Track
    - 2/13/2019
    Alexandra • ELA Instructor

I have so enjoyed my experience at Bloc. They really put their money where their mouth is and support people who don't usually find a place in this male-dominated industry. My mentors have helped me find my niche and allowed me to tailor the program to best suit my needs. The program is mastery-based, so you don't simply get pushed and passed through. Very impressed and glad I went with this option.

• Emily   User Photo
    Emily • Photographer/Full Stack Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

I am nearing the completion of my Bloc program (only one week left!) Bloc has been a great experience for me all around. When you sign up for the program, they say that you will be able to keep your current job and complete the program at the same time. For me personally, I kept my 9-5 current job for the first 2 months with the plans of quitting after that. When I did that, I temped/freelanced (I was a photographer before my 9-5) which worked perfectly with the program since I was able to choose how much I wanted to work.

Once you get past the first module, I am not sure if it is realistic to keep up the 40-50 work hour pace on top of the 25-30 hour a week dedication time, although I am sure some people do it! For me, it was better to work part time and focus on not only my studies, but learning beyond that. I think that to get the most out of your experience you need to attending their group sessions. Attending meetups. Practice online tutorials. There are so many resources out there and you should be ready to embrace them, beyond what is taught through Bloc. The great thing about this program is that they encourage you to learn beyond what is taught in their material.

In terms of jobs, I have had several interviews, which I am sort of in the middle of so I can't say whether I do/don't have a job because I am still completeling that process. What I CAN say that before I attended Bloc, I had tried to apply to soft skill marketing jobs and didn't hear back from ONE company (even with several years of experience). Now, I have gotten interviews from 25% of the applications I have put out which is a HUGE progression.

The only cons I can think of are that the program is going through some growing pains right now so some of the resources that I have depended on (like their career assistance team and student success team) have been understaffed/slow to reply to emails. I am hoping they fix that up soon because I think they are a huge perk to the program, but I think it's because they are currently going through some transition/growth issues. Otherwise, the mentors have been great, the material is good, and I have had an overall fantastic experience.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here