bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.62

all (470) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Brandon Richie  User Photo
    Brandon Richie • Student Verified via LinkedIn

"Bloc Rules! "

I started the course 8 weeks ago and have enjoyed it all. They mentors and student success team have all been super supportive and the community on slack is always a great reference point if you are stuck. I would recommend this course to anyone looking to begin a career as a web developmer.

• Great course!
    - 6/15/2018
    Charlie Wang  User Photo
    Charlie Wang • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I joined 2 months ago and have had a fantastic run. Mentors are helpful in providing high level advice and working with you on numerous projects, grading team is super responsive and helpful in not only getting the answer but also making sure you understand the concept well, and the community is very helpful in keeping up the motivation and sharing ideas. Great course overall!

• Sergio Ghibellini Steixner   User Photo
    Sergio Ghibellini Steixner • Digital Innovation Manager • Student Verified via LinkedIn

The seventh week into the Designer's track program. This program has been a dream course ever since I found about it. The support received from Slack, the community, and the mentors are on the spot.

Just put the effort and hours you need to succeed, but the Bloc team is always looking forward to helping you, on whatever problem you have.

The curriculum is the right amount of information you need. The course builds on it, so you don't have to worry about looking for more info. I say this because in today fast paced world and living you get overwhelmed with all the information you receive, especially in your email and your smartphone, its an issue Bloc has foreseen and embedded into their program.

I highly recommend this program!

• Paul  User Photo
    Paul • Web Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

This program has already exceeded my expectations and I'm only 1 month into the program! What's incredible about Bloc is that they give you the flexibility and affordability unlike many other bootcamps. I am planning to complete the program in approximately 5 months, so I will only pay ($1250 x #months enrolled). This pro-rated concept within the framework of a bootcamp is very empowering! Not only to influence you to finish within the time frame you'd like, but to save a lot of money as compared to other programs that force you into a set number of months for a set amount of many thousands more than this programs' average rate. Highly recommend this program!

• Jedediah Arnold  User Photo
    Jedediah Arnold • Student Verified via LinkedIn

The Bloc course has been awesome so far! I am 6 weeks enrolled in the Web Developer Track. It has done a great job of building community, mentorship, career preparation, and knowledge. I would definitely suggest this to anyone who has 20-25hrs/week to learn. The reason 'cirriculum' was given a 4star was because I do not feel like each concept is given enough required practice to learn. This is where the instructors and community had a huge impact on me in getting me more resources to truly learn the concepts that I needed to progress.

I will try to post another update as I progress further in the course!

• Student at Bloc
    - 5/18/2018
    Brooke   User Photo
    Brooke • Student • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Having a bit of a technical background ( Tech Support/Community Manager) I was thrilled to be awarded a Diversity scholarship from Bloc - which was the only thing that enabled me to attend a coding bootcamp! I am now leveling up my skill set and already interviewing for Jr. Dev jobs - my mentor is really great and the curriculum is interesting so far!

- 4/23/2018
    John Morandarte  User Photo
    John Morandarte • Nurse • Student Verified via GitHub

Hi all! I am currently a student with bloc for two months now for web developing. I am a complete beginner when I started and I dont even know how to write a single line of code. But now, I am learning a lot and writing all these complicated codes in just a short period of time while working in a full time job. Its really amazing and I highly recommend bloc!

• Shelby B  User Photo
    Shelby B Verified via LinkedIn

I've been enrolled in the Design Track at Bloc for about 4 months now, and I am so happy I did. I shopped around for a design bootcamp for months, but the fact that I held a full-time job I couldn't take a break from and that I didn't live in a massive metropolitan area was really limiting my options. The only thing available locally required a lot of money up front and total M-F, 8-5 commitment.

Bloc lets me pace my curriculum in a way that allows me to work my full-time job while still letting me work towards my future. They also offer payment plans and scholarships - which seemed pretty rare when I was researching similar programs.

I won't lie, you will work hard! There's a lot of commitment even at the slowest pace. And be aware of any changes to your coursework. They're constantly updating and that can sometimes tweak an assignment. However, there's a large community available to help you. As long as you communicate with your mentor and the student success team, they will do as much as they can to help you reach the finish line!

• Jazz Bohgal Software Developer Track  User Photo
    Jazz Bohgal Software Developer Track • Student Verified via GitHub

I've had a slow start with Bloc thus far, but the knowledeg I've gain has been tremedous witht the time I've deciated to studying. The enrollment process is and straight forward. Mentors are great uplifting peole that keep you motivated and focuese, and also exmaples of software engineers you'd inpsire to become very soon. I'd recommend Bloc tp anyone with a busy schedule, but still enough time to dedicate at least 20 hours a week to help advance your create your start a new career.

• Stephanie  User Photo
    Stephanie • none • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I deeply recommend Bloc. I am in their UX Design program after owning my own business for 14 years and was nervous to start over at 40. You get from the program what you are willing to put into it. The challenge level is high but not unattainable. The informations is pecied into succinct digestible chunks. I am super excited to get started in my new career!

• Livia I  User Photo
    Livia I • Student Verified via GitHub

I majored in Finance and was working in Finance for a couple of years with ZERO experience in coding. I realized that I need to move to a different direction. I want to work in the Web Development field because I love problem solving, the challenge, and I can be creative on my technical skills! I was rigorously researching for bootcamp programs that's best suited for me and that's when I stumbled upon Bloc. What makes Bloc different than any other Bootcamps is that you can still keep your full time job while on the program. Right now, I'm at 50% of the curriculum and learned so much already. It is very fast paced and challenging. You have to put in the time, work hard and don't give up if you're stuck. Bloc provides the tools and teach the materials that you will be seeing in a real work environment. The mentors are great and very flexible. If you are stuck on the exercises or have general questions about the material, the technical support team on Slack responds within minutes. Bloc also provides different online group sessions. If you have zero experience in coding and want to pursue this field, definitely try Bloc. Put the time and your maximum effort! :)

• Rico Pananganan  User Photo
    Rico Pananganan • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm currently enrolled in Bloc's Designer Track and have been going at it almost full-time since starting it 6-weeks ago. I'll say this... I've first started teaching myself how to code (on and off) for the past year before deciding to double down and take it seriously. I've researched a bunch of coding bootcamps and narrowed it down to a finalist panel of two - Bloc and #@$ (don't want to name drop because each choice or selection is different from one prospective student to another). I chose Bloc. And I'm glad I did.

The one item that really differentiated itself from the competition was the mentorship benefit, which I take it to be more of an apprenticeship style. Having those one-to-one meetings are really beneficial (in my opinion) as you can pick their brain about the various projects you are undertaking; these mentors have been in your shoes before and the information they share is invaluable, not to mention, they hold you accountable for the work set before you and push your limits.

Bloc is really invested in its students' success throughout the program. I make it a habit of reading through a handful of conversations in the student Slack channel and what goes on there is really motivating. I see a number of current students helping each other push through the projects, not to mention alumni jumping in to assist as well. It's as if the Bloc Community has taken on a culture of its own - no developer gets left behind

I'm really excited and optimistic about this journey with Bloc and cannot wait to pay it forward.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here