bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.66

all (450) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (48) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge

• Holly  User Photo
    Holly • Experience Designer • Student Verified via GitHub

My name is Holly, and I'm a career changer who is about 3/4 of the way through Bloc's Design program.  I came to the school with a background in the fine arts, and way too many years of dead-end administrative support jobs washed under the bridge.  I was definitely in need of a drastic change, and Bloc brings it without hesitation!  I was fortunate to be able to benefit from the Close The Gap scholarship - which supported female and female-identifying students interested in breaking into tech.

When you sign up for Bloc, you are gradually introduced to a wide-ranging and constantly evolving discipline.  There is a vast, interconnected variety of topics to explore in the curriculum.  In addition to covering Experience Design, Visual Design, and Front End Development, there are also ample opportunities to get your hands dirty with branding and content strategy, UX writing, presentation skills, networking, crafting your own personal brand and drafting a solid plan for growing your career.  It is truly a comprehensive program in a way I did not anticipate, and I am so thankful for it.  Students learn extremely valuable skills, and then do the equally important work of learning to share these skills with the world.

Don't get me wrong - it can feel daunting once it occurs to you exactly how much you're about to learn, and exactly how much work you'll need to do in order to make the most of the resources available at the school  - and pull off the career change you're aiming for.  Still, I've had the support of my mentor every week - whether I was crushing it or really struggling to find my footing with some challenging material.  He has always greeted me and whatever I'm going through with a huge knowledge base, real-life experience, honest and valuable feedback, an affable nature and an irreverent sense of humor.  This has been invaluable in helping me on my journey!

Bloc also offers interesting and fun group sessions, and technical support is available on Slack whenever you may need it.  I'll miss studying at Bloc once I graduate, but until then I get more confident each day that I'll be able to do great work in my new field when it's all said and done.  Thanks for reading!

• Raina  User Photo
    Raina • UX Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I chose Bloc because of their flexibility, self-paced coursework, and because they were offering a Close the Gap scholarship for women. I had had previous UX and coding experience, which helped a lot, but even so, it took me 5-ish months of full time work to complete the course. However, I was able to land a lot of interviews and even ended up having the option of choosing between two job offers in my chosen field before my program ended. The technical coaches are great in helping you when you're stuck, and I'm glad I enrolled with Bloc. It was a great choice for me--just be sure you have the motivation and the self-discipline to keep yourself on track.

• Pankhil Mistry   User Photo
    Pankhil Mistry • UX/UI Designer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I recently graduated from the designer track program. The Bloc experience fueled my knowledge about the subject matter to that of a person with decade long mastery in the same. The mentors have been super helpful and super critical in shaping the outcomes of my projects and my portfolio. I have got multiple freelance projects and landed a job within 3 mos of graduation just by putting up my portfolio out there and on LinkedIn. It was quite a journey. Although I am an international student, the amount of skills injected during the program has been a great support for making design decisions at a fresher level. Don't think any other code school provides such a wholistic experience.
  • Sasha F. • Associate UX Designer • Graduate

I reached the end of my time at Bloc a few months ago and this has been my first week as a designer at an enterprise software company. I'll break down my review into the aspects I found most helpful when searching for a bootcamp.

Background: I had no previous experience in tech or design. I worked in education as a teacher and counselor before deciding to enroll in Bloc to make a career switch into UX Design. I worked full-time while completing Bloc.

Tools: Most students use Figma or Sketch. The Bloc team generally encourages Figma because of its collaborative capabilities and because it's free but this is left open-ended. Get what works for you! I used Figma throughout the program and had to switch to Sketch for my job but the platforms are similar enough where I didn't have too much trouble making the switch. When interviewing, I found that there was no real preference for tools but most were using Sketch in my area.

Curriculum: The Bloc program is broken down into mainly three areas: design, front-end development, and a capstone project (if you have time left in your program, you can do 1-3 different capstone projects). The introduction to design really gives you both a historical and theoretical look at design; they provide several videos and external resources to supplement your learning which is great. The front-end portion of the program is really what helps separate Bloc from other bootcamps, and I can't stress enough how helpful it's been for me in understanding basic aspects of development (HTML, CSS, Javascript, Git/Github, the DOM, etc.) Knowing how to prototype with code is a valuable skill in the industry and made some companies more interested in me as an interviewee. But outside of the job market, it also helps you to be able to communicate effectively with engineers on your team and understand where they're coming from.

The capstone projects are really great because you, as a student, determine what you're going to design and really what problem you are going to solve. Some common complaints from hiring managers about bootcamps are that all bootcamp grads end up with the same portfolio. This is absolutely not the case at Bloc! We each have a very different portfolio because of these projects and are able to develop a portfolio that plays up our skills in design. Are you coming from a different industry? Do a design project that solves a problem you faced within your last role. In this way, you develop your story as a designer which is key in the job search process and you also show how your skills are transferable into a different career.

Concerning portfolios, Bloc students design and code their own. This means no Squarespace, Wordpress, Wix or other similar sites. So again, your portfolio can stand out and you can showcase your front-end skills.

Mentorship: While all of this can seem somewhat intimidating, hands down what I loved most about Bloc was the mentorship and the community. Bloc has such an active Slack community with mentors available at almost any time. There are dedicated channels with technical coaches to help you solve whatever is challenging to you. This is especially life-saving when you’re coding your portfolio and your code breaks. On top of the curriculum, there are also live video sessions dedicated to different topics: Design Systems, Designing Instagram, Coding with Javascript, talking to alumni, etc. The most helpful session for me was always the Daily Design Critique. Students submit their work and get feedback from a senior designer and their peers for improvement. Being able to respond to feedback is a very important skill as a designer and Bloc helped me develop a thicker skin when accepting criticism. But at the same time, it was always in a helpful and supportive manner.

Job Search and Career Support: Another great aspect of Bloc is the personal career coach you receive after completing your curriculum. Since its Thinkful acquisition, Bloc has been really great about sending your application to different companies to help you. Just from Bloc introductions, I was able to get to the final stage at a company in Mountain View and several introductory calls with hiring managers or recruiters. My career mentor was extremely helpful and supportive. If I came across a role, I would ask her if she could make an introduction, and she would always do her best to make it happen. Also, when completing design assignments as part of the interview process, I had access to any mentor with experience pertaining to the role. Though one mentor was based all the way in South America, he went out of his way to review my design assignment before I submitted it to the hiring manager. I received such positive feedback from that interview and made it to the final stage despite their trepidations about my lack of experience because of the feedback he provided me.

Final Thoughts: Bloc was really great, but any student signing up should be mindful that the program alone isn’t always enough to get a role. For myself, because I live in such a competitive area (San Francisco), competition was high and I had to freelance for a bit to build up my portfolio and experience before a company was willing to take a chance. My ability to get freelance roles, however, would not have been possible without Bloc. And with their help and that of my mentor, I landed a position in about 3 months.

There are definitely certain areas I think Bloc can improve, but overall I think it was well worth the money and the time. I hope within the curriculum, web developer track and designer track students can collaborate to design and build a capstone because it gives students real practice with handoffs. Bloc should also develop a doc of Slack channels dedicated to Design because jobs are often posted there and it's a great way to network off Twitter.

It took me a year to complete the program and was stressful at times but it was worth it to make such an incredible career transition. Thank you, Bloc team!

• Designer Track
    - 4/1/2019
    Rachel • Associate Product Designer • Graduate

Choosing Bloc as my way into the UX/UI design field was hands-down the best decision I ever made. I learned a tremendous amount of information in a relatively short amount of time, and I feel that I got real exposure to the world of digital product design and UX/UI. I chose Bloc out of other online bootcamps because unlike other bootcamps, Bloc focuses on front-end development in addition to UX/UI design. Learning HTML and CSS was definitely a challenge, but I have become proficient and was even able to code my design portfolio from scratch. This is only one example of the application of Bloc's curriculum and being a designer with the ability to code was something that really impressed potential employers.

I finished Bloc in 11 months and took about 3 months to find a job. One of my most favorite parts of the Bloc experience was working with the career services team, and I found them to be invaluable to the entire experience. I got regular, personalized career advice from proven professionals in the field as well as a whole lot of emotional support. My career coach helped me with things like phrasing cold emails and follow up messages as well as "professional etiquette" such as figuring out the appropriate amount of time to reach back out to an employer, navigating tricky interview questions, and so much more. I think that the information and resources that the career team provides are definitely not something that someone can get from a university/higher education career center.

I just started my new design position at a NYC startup, and I could not be more grateful for the Bloc experience and everyone who helped me get here!

• I have a job!!
    - 3/28/2019
    Emily S. • Front End Engineer

Okay so I could sit here and write about how nice Bloc's program is- how it's flexible, great to be able to learn the material online, and how they have a great support system, but let's face it. The REAL reason I went to bootcamp was to switch careers. I'm not going to lie, I was skeptical about the whole idea of "changing careers in 8 months". But low and behold, I DOUBLED my salary and have a job at a startup. I landed the 5th job I applied for, 2nd that I interviewed for, and I had the offer paperwork signed within a month and a half of graduation. They aren't kidding when they say skills are more important than a degree. While the job search process was pretty seamless, they have an AMAZING career support team that helps with interview prep, negotiation, applications, etc. upon graduation. If those of you working dead end jobs like I was before this program, I highly reccomend making the switch.

• Jessica • Student

I have been enrolled in Bloc's Web Development course since January, and I must say, I'm loving it. Is paying for an online program necessary to learn web development? Absolutely not. But for me, it was without a doubt the right decision. The biggest value I get from Bloc is that it keeps me on track, and it gives me a clear path of what I should be learning, and at what pace. My self-study would probably take twice as long if it wasn't for the curriculum constantly moving me forward. Plus, it introduces me to concepts that I wouldn't necessarily think to learn about on my own. Aside from that, the feedback I get from the grading coaches is great, it really helps me see what I am doing right and wrong. I also look forward to my weekly calls with my mentor. I learn a lot about the practical aspects of being a developer in those meetings.

There's also other support channels, such as the student slack channel, and the daily group sessions (plus tons of recorded videos to go through), so the support in this course is second to none.

Another support-related aspect that drew me to this course was the career component. And now that I am in the course, I can say that it truly is as helpful as I expected. What I didn't want from paying for a 'boot camp' of sorts was for them to teach you a bunch of code, and spit you out. That's not the feeling I've gotten from Bloc at all. It seems that student success was built into the model, and that everyone involved really wants to see you succeed.

I don't even want to call what I am about to say critiques, because it is at no fault of Bloc, but they are more just things to be aware of before entering the program:

- I find that at times, Bloc does not provide every single resource you need to learn the material. I end up spending about as much time on Bloc material as I do learning from other resources. I believe that I read somewhere that is intentional. It is no way a bad thing, especially for me as I enjoy learning from different sources with different teaching styles, it's just something to be aware of.

- Second, this program is HARD. Don't expect that because you are paying for a program, it will suddenly become easier. I am lucky enough to find myself in a situation that allows me to study full-time, and I have no idea how people do this part-time. I feel that even putting in 40 hours per week, I still always feel like I should be doing more. Granted, at the pace I am on, it is estimated that I will finish 2 months before my "end date", so I'm not running out of time; there's just SO much to learn. Also, take this with a grain of salt. People pick up on things at different paces. But if you are brand new to programming, make sure you have AT LEAST the minimum amount of time per week that Bloc recommends, I think it's 20 hours?

This program is a lot of hard work, but there really is no better feeling than when your code starts working. I can't wait to see where the rest of my journey with Bloc takes me, and then to my career beyond. I absolutely recommend Bloc to anyone that is not going the traditional CS degree route, as I find it reasonably priced compared to other online programs, and the experience thus far has been superb.

• Fantastic!
    - 3/12/2019
    Alexander Vela  User Photo
    Alexander Vela • Student Verified via GitHub

I've finally reached the end of my time with Bloc and I have had nothing but a positive experience with them. MY mentors and the student success were always helpful and ready to assist me. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

• Love this place!
    - 3/7/2019
    Austin MacAdam  User Photo
    Austin MacAdam • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am mad at myself for not finding this place faster. i love the style and the speed as well as the work load! the mentors are FANTASTIC and everyone is there to help you. you dont have to know what you are doing to start...it will help, but not needed. Bloc is with you and will help you whenever you need the help. Be that through Slack or mentors! overall love this bootcamp and would recomend it to anyone interested !

• Horacio Gutierrez • Student

Bloc has an amazing methodology to ramp up students into the world of UX/UI design.   The quality of content and instructors is wonderful to help you move forward when you get stuck.  Bloc offers a tuition reimbursement guarantee because they know that once you graduate from their program, you will find a job for sure!  In my opinion, with the high quality of content and instructors, it would be unfair to ask Bloc for my money back because I've learned more than I thought I could learn in this short period of time.

• Oliver   User Photo
    Oliver • Student Verified via GitHub

PROS:
    The learning process is project based, meaning you learn through creating real-world projects (ie. a Reddit Clone, a Wiki site) that will not only give you a great learning experience but will give you a basis of work for your portfolio when it comes time to apply for jobs.

The Slack channel runs 24/7 with tech agents that are there to help you work through any bugs or confusion you are having. They don't give you the answers, they teach you how to debug and solve it yourself so you can learn how to get unstuck in the future.

You have a mentor meeting once a week to get one on one help from Bloc alums who are actively working in the field.

Bloc forces you to learn to network and then to put it into practice. You will have to attend in person events, do some cold outreach emails to get in touch with local professionals, and write to companies you are interested in. It's stressful at first, but it is worth it, and it also allows you to create an in-person community which makes up for the fact that you are learning online.

Each module ends with a career development section where you spend a few checkpoints working on things like resumes, active networking, interview practice, and doing research on the job market where you are applying. Having this spread out across your time at Bloc is really useful and is a great primer for the final job search module.

The assessments at the end of each module are structured like a technical interview. Which like the rest of the Bloc curriculum is great practice for when you are going into the professional world.

CONS:

It is self paced, there is no given timeline and no one setting deadlines for you to finish checkpoints. I actually liked the self paced nature, but you are someone who needs more structure in order to stay on track then Bloc is not the best choice for you. However, if you are able to self-motivate and keep yourself on track and accountable then you will be fine.

• Zully  User Photo
    Zully • Product/UI Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Bloc was my first experience with an online bootcamp but I have to say I doubt it gets much better than this. I was very careful with my selection and reviewed many programs before I made my choice because it is a pretty significant time and money investment. I have been really impressed with the thoughtfulness and relevance of the curriculum and depth of knowledge you can obtain if you put in the time. That said, it is definitely not a course for people not willing or able to put in the time. If you work full-time it's challenging to keep up but it's definitely worthwhile. The mentors are knowledgeable and great to work with and I've definitley learned a lot.

• Bloc Review
    - 2/24/2019
    Jacob Yun • Graduate

Bloc was my choice for a bootcamp for web development. The course itself was very organized and the curriculum covered a lot of material. I chose Bloc since unlike some other bootcamps, there was a mentorship system where I was able to dive into web developer fundamentals with senior level engineers. The mentors provided guidance and essentially led me through the curriculum and were easy to communicate with through Slack.

Post grad job assistance was helpful, but it mainly was on you as the grad to make your own progress, it's not like the Bloc team is going to find a job for you, they'll be there to help you out with resume questions, cover letters, as well as interviews. The Bloc team is easy to reach out to and they get back to you pretty quickly if you have any urgent questions.

• Colson Crim • Student

I am about halfway through Bloc's Web Developer track and I've had a great experience so far. The curriculum is up to date and is constantly being updated to the tech industry standards. You will learn programming essentials like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and React. Not to mention computer science fundamentals and the server side portion of the course, where you will learn the fundamentals of Node.js. Once you begin looking for a career as a web developer, you will find that most job listings are searching for individuals with this exact skill set! Bloc is determined to set you up for success and prepare you for your new career.

If you are concerned about taking a fully online course, don't be. Bloc's mentors and Slack community full of industry experts will be there to help you through any sections of the curriculum that you find to be difficult. For anyone who needs a flexible school schedule, and is looking for a relatively inexpensive education in web development, I highly recommend Bloc.

• So Innovative
    - 2/20/2019

I had another career and really didn't enjoy what I was doing but didn't want to go back to school for another 4-8 years to switch careers. I looked into software design programs and realized this is something I really wanted to do but when I found Bloc, I was blown away at how hands-on the program was and how it truly prepared you for real-world experience. It also is continually being updated changes it's curriculum based on what's currently going on in the tech world. My mentor has supported me along the way and I'm so excited to get a job once I finish. Bloc place has changed my life!

• Design Track
    - 2/19/2019

I have a lot of previous design experience but I wanted to learn UX design inside and out. I'm still in the early part but I feel like I made a great decision choosing Bloc. It's a great fit for me and it's been very flexible which is exactly what I needed as I juggle other responsibilities. The curriculum isn't easy but the instructors are great and they give you plenty of help when you get stuck.

• My Bloc Experience
    - 2/14/2019
    Christian Reyes • Student

Bloc has been a tremendously fantastic experience for me. All throughout the program, I've received nothing but help when I needed it and great course material. The program material is easy to read and very easy to follow along with and it pushes you to dig a little deeper on your own to fully grasp what it's saying.

The technical support team is extremely fast and they work with you throughout the problem or the question you have. I've never had a negative experience or one where the code coaches couldn't relay the information or help to me in a way I couldn't understand. The mentor meetings help tremendously and the one on one weekly meetings help solidify areas where I may feel a little wobbly on.

I recommend Bloc 100% for the go-to code school to anyone looking to learn web development. The fact that it's online and not very pricey is the cherry on top.

• So far so good!
    - 2/13/2019
    Renuka • Student

Hi, I started with Bloc in November. So far its been good. I wanted to get into programming and learn how to be able to build my own websites, build some for friends etc while being able to understand all the programming concepts that go into web development. I am only in my second module so I cannot give any review on how this program helped me with job search yet. Also, several people learn web programming on their own, I have tried learning some tools on my own in the past, but when I am stuck, I didnt know how to go about it and then eventually my desire to learn it would fizzle it. Yes, inspite of searching for answers on StackOverflow, Reddit, Medium etc. Bloc still makes you do that, makes you search for answers (because one should be able to find your way out, you are not going to have a mentor in realtime getting you out of situations) but if you are absolutely stuck then the grading team members point you in the right direction. They almost always respond promptly and when you need explanations about concepts then you have the weekly mentor sessions where you can get them clarified.

The reason I went for a online option is because I am also searching for a job, and had I found one or if I find one even now, then I dont want to take the job but leave the web development learning or leave the job and do the course. I want to be able to do both.

Bloc also gave me a scholarship-woman in tech!:) which was great too because I wasnt ready to spend $16K yet which some of the other coding bootcamps charge.

The online Slack community is great too!

• Designer Track
    - 2/13/2019
    Alexandra • ELA Instructor

I have so enjoyed my experience at Bloc. They really put their money where their mouth is and support people who don't usually find a place in this male-dominated industry. My mentors have helped me find my niche and allowed me to tailor the program to best suit my needs. The program is mastery-based, so you don't simply get pushed and passed through. Very impressed and glad I went with this option.

• Emily   User Photo
    Emily • Photographer/Full Stack Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

I am nearing the completion of my Bloc program (only one week left!) Bloc has been a great experience for me all around. When you sign up for the program, they say that you will be able to keep your current job and complete the program at the same time. For me personally, I kept my 9-5 current job for the first 2 months with the plans of quitting after that. When I did that, I temped/freelanced (I was a photographer before my 9-5) which worked perfectly with the program since I was able to choose how much I wanted to work.

Once you get past the first module, I am not sure if it is realistic to keep up the 40-50 work hour pace on top of the 25-30 hour a week dedication time, although I am sure some people do it! For me, it was better to work part time and focus on not only my studies, but learning beyond that. I think that to get the most out of your experience you need to attending their group sessions. Attending meetups. Practice online tutorials. There are so many resources out there and you should be ready to embrace them, beyond what is taught through Bloc. The great thing about this program is that they encourage you to learn beyond what is taught in their material.

In terms of jobs, I have had several interviews, which I am sort of in the middle of so I can't say whether I do/don't have a job because I am still completeling that process. What I CAN say that before I attended Bloc, I had tried to apply to soft skill marketing jobs and didn't hear back from ONE company (even with several years of experience). Now, I have gotten interviews from 25% of the applications I have put out which is a HUGE progression.

The only cons I can think of are that the program is going through some growing pains right now so some of the resources that I have depended on (like their career assistance team and student success team) have been understaffed/slow to reply to emails. I am hoping they fix that up soon because I think they are a huge perk to the program, but I think it's because they are currently going through some transition/growth issues. Otherwise, the mentors have been great, the material is good, and I have had an overall fantastic experience.

• Good school
    - 1/24/2019
    Soheb • Student

The main thing I like about Bloc is the support structure they have in place. You never really feel like you have to go through this alone. The assignment grading is very helpful and so is the staff. The path makes sense and I learn something new with every assignment.

• Sean Sullivan • Web Developer • Student

At Bloc, the apprenticeship-style curriculum makes for a great learning experience. I find that I'm able to learn the material and actually understand how it works rather than just memorize concepts. Having Slack support and weekly mentor meetings have really helped me. I have been a student at Bloc in the Web Developer track since September 17 and I would recommend it to anyone who is serious about becoming a web developer, as it provides hands-on experience working with technologies and concepts that are necessary and also relevant to what real world developers are actually using.

• Honest Review
    - 1/23/2019

Hello There!

I'm currently a student with Bloc and finishing up the last leg of my assignment/apprenticeship with the UX Design program and I must say that it has been quite a ride.

The amount of support you get in the program is on point - the slack channel is a large community on a global scale all pushing each other to finish, the technical coaches are almost always a key stroke away from getting you "unstuck" from a problem, the recorded and live class sessions are an extremely helpful resource, the student success team constantly check on your progress to ensure you are getting the best out of the program, and the mentors you meet have years of experience behind them to help you unlock your potential into a career you will break into at the conclusion of the program.

When I was researching a program to enroll with, I came across a TON of them online, but ended up narrowing down my options to two:

1. Bloc

2. Thinkful

And at the end of it all, Thinkful ended up acquiring Bloc, so that in itself speaks great volumes as to what Bloc has been achieving alongside the reputation it has built throughout the years since its inception. I'm glad I chose Bloc!

• Christina  User Photo
    Christina • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm halfway through the Designer track, and I have been enjoying the course so far! Everything they teach is relevant, and I love that you will finish the program with three case studies under your belt. My mentor, Lauren Smith, is amazing and willing to help wherever she can. I can talk to her about the course, job advice, and anything else related to UX design!

If you're thinking about choosing a Bootcamp for UX Design, I highly recommend Bloc. This isn't to say that the coursework is easy, but I truly find UXD fun. What you put in is what you get out. You have to make sure you don't slack off. I supplement this education by going to Meetups and meeting professionals in the industry.

• Great Opportunity
    - 1/22/2019
    Lena • Student

I'm in the UX/UI Designer program with Bloc and I have to say I've been very impresse with how much they've taught me. I'm in my final weeks with the class and have started applying for jobs. I've been pleasantly surprised to see that the education I've received allows me to check off almost every single requirement in a job description. I started applying to jobs just 3 weeks ago in Charlotte, NC and I have two interviews set up for this week at a much higher pay rate than expected (both are above 75K annually!).

I'd recommend Bloc to anyone. The technical coaches are available to answer any of your questions and the mentor sessions are invaluable. The only thing I would say is that if you are not 100% dedicated you WILL fall behind in your course. Stay on top of it and keep your eye on the prize!

Bloc Outcomes

77% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 23% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 40 graduates included in report:

93% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here