bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (463) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (51) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Pankhil Mistry   User Photo
    Pankhil Mistry • UX/UI Designer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I recently graduated from the designer track program. The Bloc experience fueled my knowledge about the subject matter to that of a person with decade long mastery in the same. The mentors have been super helpful and super critical in shaping the outcomes of my projects and my portfolio. I have got multiple freelance projects and landed a job within 3 mos of graduation just by putting up my portfolio out there and on LinkedIn. It was quite a journey. Although I am an international student, the amount of skills injected during the program has been a great support for making design decisions at a fresher level. Don't think any other code school provides such a wholistic experience.
  • Fantastic!
    - 3/12/2019
    Alexander Vela  User Photo
    Alexander Vela • Student Verified via GitHub

I've finally reached the end of my time with Bloc and I have had nothing but a positive experience with them. MY mentors and the student success were always helpful and ready to assist me. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

• Love this place!
    - 3/7/2019
    Austin MacAdam  User Photo
    Austin MacAdam • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am mad at myself for not finding this place faster. i love the style and the speed as well as the work load! the mentors are FANTASTIC and everyone is there to help you. you dont have to know what you are doing to start...it will help, but not needed. Bloc is with you and will help you whenever you need the help. Be that through Slack or mentors! overall love this bootcamp and would recomend it to anyone interested !

• Oliver   User Photo
    Oliver • Student Verified via GitHub

PROS:
    The learning process is project based, meaning you learn through creating real-world projects (ie. a Reddit Clone, a Wiki site) that will not only give you a great learning experience but will give you a basis of work for your portfolio when it comes time to apply for jobs.

The Slack channel runs 24/7 with tech agents that are there to help you work through any bugs or confusion you are having. They don't give you the answers, they teach you how to debug and solve it yourself so you can learn how to get unstuck in the future.

You have a mentor meeting once a week to get one on one help from Bloc alums who are actively working in the field.

Bloc forces you to learn to network and then to put it into practice. You will have to attend in person events, do some cold outreach emails to get in touch with local professionals, and write to companies you are interested in. It's stressful at first, but it is worth it, and it also allows you to create an in-person community which makes up for the fact that you are learning online.

Each module ends with a career development section where you spend a few checkpoints working on things like resumes, active networking, interview practice, and doing research on the job market where you are applying. Having this spread out across your time at Bloc is really useful and is a great primer for the final job search module.

The assessments at the end of each module are structured like a technical interview. Which like the rest of the Bloc curriculum is great practice for when you are going into the professional world.

CONS:

It is self paced, there is no given timeline and no one setting deadlines for you to finish checkpoints. I actually liked the self paced nature, but you are someone who needs more structure in order to stay on track then Bloc is not the best choice for you. However, if you are able to self-motivate and keep yourself on track and accountable then you will be fine.

• Zully  User Photo
    Zully • Product/UI Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Bloc was my first experience with an online bootcamp but I have to say I doubt it gets much better than this. I was very careful with my selection and reviewed many programs before I made my choice because it is a pretty significant time and money investment. I have been really impressed with the thoughtfulness and relevance of the curriculum and depth of knowledge you can obtain if you put in the time. That said, it is definitely not a course for people not willing or able to put in the time. If you work full-time it's challenging to keep up but it's definitely worthwhile. The mentors are knowledgeable and great to work with and I've definitley learned a lot.

• Emily   User Photo
    Emily • Photographer/Full Stack Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

I am nearing the completion of my Bloc program (only one week left!) Bloc has been a great experience for me all around. When you sign up for the program, they say that you will be able to keep your current job and complete the program at the same time. For me personally, I kept my 9-5 current job for the first 2 months with the plans of quitting after that. When I did that, I temped/freelanced (I was a photographer before my 9-5) which worked perfectly with the program since I was able to choose how much I wanted to work.

Once you get past the first module, I am not sure if it is realistic to keep up the 40-50 work hour pace on top of the 25-30 hour a week dedication time, although I am sure some people do it! For me, it was better to work part time and focus on not only my studies, but learning beyond that. I think that to get the most out of your experience you need to attending their group sessions. Attending meetups. Practice online tutorials. There are so many resources out there and you should be ready to embrace them, beyond what is taught through Bloc. The great thing about this program is that they encourage you to learn beyond what is taught in their material.

In terms of jobs, I have had several interviews, which I am sort of in the middle of so I can't say whether I do/don't have a job because I am still completeling that process. What I CAN say that before I attended Bloc, I had tried to apply to soft skill marketing jobs and didn't hear back from ONE company (even with several years of experience). Now, I have gotten interviews from 25% of the applications I have put out which is a HUGE progression.

The only cons I can think of are that the program is going through some growing pains right now so some of the resources that I have depended on (like their career assistance team and student success team) have been understaffed/slow to reply to emails. I am hoping they fix that up soon because I think they are a huge perk to the program, but I think it's because they are currently going through some transition/growth issues. Otherwise, the mentors have been great, the material is good, and I have had an overall fantastic experience.

• Honest Review
    - 1/23/2019

Hello There!

I'm currently a student with Bloc and finishing up the last leg of my assignment/apprenticeship with the UX Design program and I must say that it has been quite a ride.

The amount of support you get in the program is on point - the slack channel is a large community on a global scale all pushing each other to finish, the technical coaches are almost always a key stroke away from getting you "unstuck" from a problem, the recorded and live class sessions are an extremely helpful resource, the student success team constantly check on your progress to ensure you are getting the best out of the program, and the mentors you meet have years of experience behind them to help you unlock your potential into a career you will break into at the conclusion of the program.

When I was researching a program to enroll with, I came across a TON of them online, but ended up narrowing down my options to two:

1. Bloc

2. Thinkful

And at the end of it all, Thinkful ended up acquiring Bloc, so that in itself speaks great volumes as to what Bloc has been achieving alongside the reputation it has built throughout the years since its inception. I'm glad I chose Bloc!

• Christina  User Photo
    Christina • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm halfway through the Designer track, and I have been enjoying the course so far! Everything they teach is relevant, and I love that you will finish the program with three case studies under your belt. My mentor, Lauren Smith, is amazing and willing to help wherever she can. I can talk to her about the course, job advice, and anything else related to UX design!

If you're thinking about choosing a Bootcamp for UX Design, I highly recommend Bloc. This isn't to say that the coursework is easy, but I truly find UXD fun. What you put in is what you get out. You have to make sure you don't slack off. I supplement this education by going to Meetups and meeting professionals in the industry.

• Charlie Cianciolo  User Photo
    Charlie Cianciolo • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I have been in the Bloc program since July of 18. I have learned so many new skills/useful skills that I believe will take me into my job search and beyond. My mentor sessions have been fantastic and super useful in gauging my progress, my skillsets and where I need to make improvement or strides. Bloc's success team and technical coaches have provided supports whenever I needed.

I am looking forward to building my portfolio and really getting into the nitty gritty of applying for jobs. Great experience so far!!!

• Excellent!
    - 11/24/2018
    Yulia  User Photo
    Yulia • Fashion Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

This school will give you the skills by putting you to work from class one.  I believe in learning by doing and this is exactly what Bloc is offering.

The program is hard and challenging, but stay focused. The support from the fellow students and coach team is always there for you.

This is one of the few programs that I found after an extensive research that gives you an opportunity to study online without quitting your current job.

I liked that they offer scholarship and a very comprehensive loan plan.

I so thankful and only looking forward to taking charge of my future career.

Yulia

• Kelly  User Photo
    Kelly • Aspiring Jr. Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I really found Course Report useful when looking at Bootcamps and I am a couple weeks from completing Bloc's Web Developer Track and wanting to give back to the community here!  Being a self-employed person in TV/Film production for years, I had been considering a coding bootcamp for a while to get into a bigger job market with more career options and room to grow professionally.  I have a 3 year old daughter and a pregnant wife and juggling life and Bloc has been pretty good, you have to give up most nights and weekends for 8-9 months, but the outcome will be worth it to provide a better life for my family.

First off, I love Bloc's 12-14 hours a day of technical coaching on Slack, there is a whole team ready to help you everyday.  The live group sessions on a variety of topics are really a great way to interact with Bloc Mentors and hear from other students which is nice when you feel confused about a topic and realize most other students are too!@#$  They have many live sessions every week on a variety of topics and I haven't been able to do as many as I would like, honestly, so if you have time, do a couple a week.  It establishes a connection with Bloc that is sometimes lacking due to it being an online only school.  The student success and career services teams have all been so easy and great to communicate with.  Also, I like that Bloc is a larger bootcamp and they have Slack channels for many cities in the US so you can organize a Meet-up with other students, like I have done.  The curriculum I would say is challenging and makes you work hard and learn how to forage, which is what developers do all day in their jobs I'm told.  The amount of work you do on career preparation is waaaay more than I expected, but I now see the value and appreciate how much they have you work on presenting yourself to the industry besides knowing how to code.

Bloc does a good job setting expectations of what you can expect from them and what you need to do to make your time a success and that balance is what it takes to have a good experience I think.  If you work for it, they will work for you and with you.  Cheers!

• Sami Birnbaum  User Photo
    Sami Birnbaum • Ruby on Rails Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I guess you could say I am now on the other side.

I finished the web developer track 4 months ago and things could genuinely not have been better!

I was lucky to secure a job the day after I finished my course, not only this but the company were so impressed that I was able to command the highest junior salary.

I have now been working at the same company for 4 months and I love it. I work remotely and am building some really cool projects.

It is incredible to think that before I started with bloc I knew ZERO about coding or about how the internet works.

But the course was genuinely incredible, I learnt so much and everything was practical down to helping me secure a job.

My mentor was great and I still keep in touch with him!

Moreover, at times when I was struggling on the course, as well as my mentor, the student success team were such great help and when I was freaking out about jobs the careers team were always on hand.

Living in London and a different timezone was completley fine and I was surprised about how easy it was to schedule a video call with anyone from Bloc.

I highly recommend Bloc, they are a great team of people doing the right thing!

Bloc Outcomes

77% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 23% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 40 graduates included in report:

93% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here