bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (453) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Bloc student
    - 7/22/2017
    Matt Nichols

Disclaimer: I am currently only two months into the program.

I work as a carpenter full time. I looked at many different bootcamps before deciding on Bloc. Some were very appealing, but were limiting due to having to relocate, or requiring prior programming skills to be accepted. Bloc seemed to have the best online program, which was perfect for me. The mentor system is another huge pro, I dont typically learn well in traditional classroom settings. I can only speak for my particular mentor, he is not only an adept programmer but an excellent teacher. It really is more like an apprenticeship than a class.

What they claim for job assistance after graduating is incredible. They seem to live up to that promise from what I can see. As I said I am only a couple months into my program, but I browse the career slack channel and observe people on the other side.

Overall I am thoroughly enjoying my time with Bloc. You will get out 100% of what you put in. Expect to be frustrated and learn to celebrate the small victories. It is very challenging but oh so fulfilling.

• A. Byrd  User Photo
    A. Byrd • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The course work covers a great breadth of languages and libraries, including some of the most relevant to the field currently: JavaScript, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, jQuery, Angular, and more. Part way through the program, I began to question the overall value of it, considering that much of the material is available online for free. But the fact is, without the structure of Bloc, I would have had no idea in what order to learn the endless amount of material out there, nor which topics are the most relevant to the field.

Bloc's curriculum updates regularly, which shows that they are keeping pace with the ever-changing industry. The great benefit of the online format (other than the obvious convenience of working from home) is the structured meetings with your personal mentor. Your mentor will help keep you accountable to do the work, as well as illuminating some of the more vague concepts and processes that don't come so easily by just reading material online.

The software engineering track lasts about 36 weeks, which gives time to cover a wide range of material. Ultimately, your portfolio, which by the end of the program will have at least 6-8 robust projects, is what will sell you as a potential employee. I still think the price is a bit high, but it is still comparable with most of the other bootcamps out there. I can recommend Bloc to the aspiring coder.

• My Bloc Experience
    - 7/21/2017
    Matt • Student

I started seriously investing time into programming and web development about a year ago. I was making decent progress but felt like I kept getting distracted by different languages, frameworks, and tools. I didn't want to keep running around in circles and decided it was time to begin a structured program.

I spent a long time researching the different bootcamps that are out there and ended up deciding on Bloc. The main reason for my initial interest in Bloc was because a friend of mine had gone through the program and was able to build a very successful career in web development afterwards with minimal prior experience in the industry. When I started comparing Bloc to similar programs that are out there the main factors that I focused on were the ability to go through the program at a part-time pace, career services, rigor of the cirriculum, and online reviews. In all of these categories Bloc was always at the top of the list.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the program right now and there are many great things about the program but I'll touch on a couple that I feel have been most beneficial to my learning. First, I can't say enough about the mentorship and community involved in this program and how helpful it has been to have such a wealth of knowledge available basically whenever you need it. My mentor has always been able to help me through tough assignments or give me great constuctive criticism on the code I've been writing. The assessments that are administered at the end of each module are a really great way to test how well you learned the material. The assessments are challenging but within reach and are a great way to get you used to talking about technical subjects with someone you haven't met before. Bloc also does a great job of integrating career oriented challenges throughout the whole curriculum by giving you resources and assignments that help you focus your job search and set you up for success.

All in all I am extremely pleased with the whole program so far and think that both the skills learned through the curriculum and the focus on the job search will allow me to transition into my new career with relative ease.

• Isaac P  User Photo
    Isaac P • Coordinator of Educational Technology • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I live and work full time in a very remote location (rural Alaska) so I had some very specific criteria when selecting a bootcamp. I was looking for something remote and part time. Bloc handily met both criteria. The program is entirely online so it can be done from anywhere, and I am able to complete the curriculum at a part-time pace. The timeframe can be quite long (mine is two years for the Software Developer Track) so I can do a little bit of work while not at my full time job and still learn a ton of new information. On the other hand, the work is independent enough that I can work ahead at a faster pace when I am able, which I love.

The curriculum is a mix of outside-created online tutorials and projects crafted by Bloc. The one minor drawback is that during the projects, which are the heart of the program, one is expected to do quite a bit of independent learning, but this is fine with me for two reasons. For one, the project-based approach simply works for learning new skills; and for the other, there is a mentor to guide you through the process.

I love learning new skills independently online, but this approach often leaves me frustrated by the lack of human touch and interaction within the process. Sometimes it's nice to talk through the things one is learning. Bloc provides the best of both worlds by allowing students to go through the bootcamp remotely, but having a mentor to work with. The presence of a mentor was the number one reason I chose Bloc from among the online boot camps, and I am not disappointed. I enjoy working with my mentor and had a difficult time choosing from among the many qualified candidates.

I can't speak to the final quality of the job assistance because I am not quite to that phase of the program, but the job prep I have done so far has been insightful and seems to be preparing me well. Overall, I would recommend Bloc to anyone who is able to accept the price tag of an online bootcamp and who is willing to put in the independent work.

• Drew  User Photo
    Drew Verified via LinkedIn

If you're looking for an online learning experience for coding, you should definitely consider the Bloc approach. But, before you even click accept, make sure you have done your homework and worked through as many free/cheap tutorials as possible.

Your time in the course is a WAVE of information. You'll be in a much better place psychologically and economically if you understand the basic concepts of what you are about to get into. Plus, if you work one-on-one with a mentor (pretty sweet) you're not wasting his/her time by having to walk you through a ton of basics.

Learning to code is a challenge. Don't make the decision lightly about who helps elevate you closer to a level of mastery. Stay cool and remember that if you do choose Bloc, you always have somebody at your back.

• Jade • Student

I am a month into Bloc and have to say that it's an amazing curriculum with a very passionate team. My mentor, Mike Branski, who I meet every week, is an expert at explaining down complicated ideas, focusing on my weak spots in my knowedge, and is genuinely a pleasure to learn from.

I have previously done General Assembly's Web Development Immersive, so I'm coming in from experience with the in-person bootcamp model to gaining more skills from just a junior software engineer to getting the skills as a more experienced and high-level software developer.

I'll be updating my review as I go through the curriculum, but 4 months in, I'm very happy with my experience at Bloc.

• Javier Jacome • Graduate

I'm a graphic designer, currently obtaining my B.F.A., and one of my career goals is to become a product designer and eventually a creative director. Though back then, I knew I needed more than just graphic design. Thus, I decided to take this course to separate me from other designers. Honestly, the course has truly elevated my designs and personal knowledge, also I feel confident it has pushed me in the right direction. Not only did I learn UX/UI, but I got a taste of HTML, CSS and JS during this course. Which I must say, has been a massive aid for creating my online portfolio. I'm a college student, though I'm actively looking for a job to start my career early. Hopefully, I can find one with the experience I gained from this course.

--- I put N/A for the job assistance, because I personally haven't reached out to them for help and I don't know how that process works.

• Mashauna V • Student

Im currently enrolled in the UX Design track, I  am scheduled to complete the program February 2018. I sincerely love this program and my mentor is great.

Pros:
    Love how flexible the program is. You are able to adjust the pace as well to be able to work a full time job or do the full time course and finish faster
    Easy to read checkpoints.I love how the program is allows you to read the lesson, do hands on work and then submit an assignment. So your not just reading and getting bored.
    Mentors are awesome.  My mentor Zach is awesome, he is so thorough when we go through the checkpoints together. He gives me positive feedback as well as critique my work to make it better. He also makes sure that all my questions are answered and I'm not confused about anything. Also having the meeting with the mentor keeps you on track and keeps me motivated not to slack off because I know I have my meeting coming up.
    Support is always available. When enrolling you will have access to slack which is like one big chatroom full of help.  So if you message your mentor and they aren't available .Ask your question on Slack and someone always answers rather quickly.
    Tuition reimbursement guarantee. I love that if I don't find a PAYING position within 6 months of graduating from Bloc , that they will refund my entire tuition. Plus they say they have never had to do that so that just lets me know that the curriculum is awesome. AND IT IS, I'm telling you its great.
    I feel like I'm learning so much and Im only a month in. its awesome

Cons
    there aren't really any cons except the normal online environment and trying not to procrastinate

Make sure you have time to study and really absorb the material. Try not to be distracted.The program is what you make it. so if you slack off .you can't really blame anyone but yourself because bloc makes sure you. Im still pretty early in the curriculum so I'm not sure about the job support yet but  I will write another review when I complete the program.

• Bloc star
    - 7/16/2017
    Jared T  User Photo
    Jared T • Student Verified via GitHub

Before selecting Bloc I reviewed several programs and their respective preview courses. I found that every online boot camp had one thing that they excelled at. But these boot camps also seemed to focus so vehemently on that one thing, that other areas of the program suffered. That is not to say that these other programs were bad, but for me, they didn't strike a good balance of affordability, support, education, and potential results.

My biggest reason for choosing Bloc was the overall balance of their program. Everything is executed well with a great blend of all the elements that were important to me. Not only that, but the frequency of one on one meetings with my mentor is awesome. I could write substantially more about how great this program is, but let’s face it, you don’t want to read a five page review, and I’ve still got a ton of code to write; this code’s not gonna’ ship itself (totally stole that line from my mentor).  Do yourself a solid: If you're serious about a code school, check out Bloc, you'll be happy you did.

-- This post was written while enrolled in the program, although I have seen great support from their job assitance team already, I chose to give a score of "N/A" as I have had little need to use all the support they provide.

• Jose Torres  User Photo
    Jose Torres • UX/UI Designer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I can seriously say that Bloc helped me get out of a job and gain a career. After going to college for two years wasting money on courses I was never going to use in real life situations. I decided to seek a better alternative. I researched boot camps and landed on Bloc's site. Being able to learn from home and having a mentor with years of experience in the real world of UX/UI Design, was awesome. My mentor was always available for any concerns or help I needed. Creating work that I could actually put on my resume was the key in getting my foot in the door and being considered for job opportunities, above other graduates with just a degree to show. My mentor helped me understand that companies and recruiters want to see actual work that you've done that will speak for itself about what you're knowledge of UX/UI Design is. Natalie Hatter was my Bloc Mentor and I recommend not on her as a mentor but also Bloc as the perfect fit for those looking to gain not just a job but a career. After I finished Bloc I immediately had interviews. 3 months later got my first job at Unikey Technologies where I learned a lot before moving onto a more stable role at FanHero where I just celebrated my 1year anniversary. Hope my review/testimony will help those needing guidance on their decision to join Bloc and become a Bloc alumni.

• Brandan Hummell • Student

**Disclaimer - I have been asked to write a review on Bloc, but I am not getting any particular advantage from doing so at this moment. I have given them positive feedback in the past, which may have prompted them to ask me to write a review, but these are my genuine opinions and experiences thus far. I get the feeling that my experiences are not atypical though.

My Context

• I am about 3 months into the program at this time on a 12 month track.
    • I have a full-time job, and I was looking for a way to keep working and break into the field of web development.
    • I did not want to pay an exorbitant amount of money.
    • I wanted flexibility built into the program to accomodate my current living situation.
    • My highest priority was to find a program that would set me up for success when applying for jobs in web development.
    • I had a little bit of experience in JS and HTML/CSS through a couple of books and online tutorials. Not enough experience that would qualify me as a 'coder' by any means.

• The overall experience has been great so far. I am constantly learning, and I would have had a significantly harder time learning all of this by myself from a book.

• They let you pick your mentor from long list with personal bios as well as their proficiencies
    • My mentor is great. He answers questions, and we go through code and concepts via screen sharing all the time. If I get stuck, he helps me understand the root of the issue. Bloc is of the mentality to teach a person how to fish camp.
    • If you don't jive with your mentor, for whatever reason, you can always get another one. This flexibility is nice.

• It seems to me that they put a lot of thought into the sequence and the content of the curriculum. It all flows pretty naturally, and I have not felt overwhelmed at any one point with completely new concepts.
    • Everything is project based, which is totally the way to go. I am a learn-by-doing kind of person, so this works perfectly for me. Bloc does not follow an academic approach (thankfully) in which they teach you a ton of theory, and then you get some chances to put that theory into practice later. Bloc is more akin to a trade-school I would say (or at least that is how I describe this program to my friends and family)
    • I've had my brother (who is a software engineer) and a couple of my coder friends look through the curriculum before I signed up. They gave their thumbs up, and I have not been disappointed so far.

• This is the once category that I have the least amount to write about so far. I am only 25% of the way through the program.
    • What I can say though, is that they interweave job workshop checkpoints throughout the program to get you thinking/learning early about job prospects. I am a big fan of this approach so far.
    • My mentor (and every other mentor I saw on the list) has been in the industry for many many years. My mentor has already given me advice on how to break into the industry.
    • Bloc has you set up a portfolio as part of the curriculum. I can't emphasize enough how much I like that part of the program, since your portfolio (as I surmised from my brother and friends) is one of the key elements in your job application.

In conclusion, based on my experiences thus far, I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to break into the field at their own pace. This is not one of those 9 week crazy bootcamps that charge you $15 grand and try to cram as much knowledge as possible. This kind of bootcamp is well suited for my needs, and I think it is priced right.

• Tara Briggs  User Photo
    Tara Briggs Verified via LinkedIn

As a 54 year old female with a computer science degree programming in Cobol, I was ready to learn new skills and learn about web development.  I thought the Bloc online program was perfect for me as I am self-motivated and have good time management skills.  The program was perfect.  I have almost completed the program and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in web developement.  Not only did I learn front-end and back-end programming, Bloc also helped me with career development.  I learned how to network, how best ro apply to jobs and was given guidance with my resume and cover letter.  I had a terrific mentor who helped me along the way.  My success in the program is directly linked to my mentor.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here