bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (460) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (51) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge

• Charlie Cianciolo  User Photo
    Charlie Cianciolo • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I have been in the Bloc program since July of 18. I have learned so many new skills/useful skills that I believe will take me into my job search and beyond. My mentor sessions have been fantastic and super useful in gauging my progress, my skillsets and where I need to make improvement or strides. Bloc's success team and technical coaches have provided supports whenever I needed.

I am looking forward to building my portfolio and really getting into the nitty gritty of applying for jobs. Great experience so far!!!

• Brayden Aldrich • Student

I have really enjoyed Bloc so far. My mentor is incredibly nice, helpful and knowledgeable. He always supplies me with a ton of outside information to either help me grasp a concept or learn more about things I’m interested in. I look forward to the meetings each week. The course is challenging, but it is an enjoyable challenge.

• Jamie • Associate Application Developer • Graduate

The curriculum is organized really well into checkpoints to help guide you along the course. Bloc gives you all the resources you need to learn. The only time I have trouble is when I am not focused myself to do all the steps and read the resources that they provide carefully.

• Great value
    - 9/23/2017
    Paul Hurrle • Student

A current student in Bloc's Part-Time Web Development track, I am really pleased with what I've experienced since beginning the program in June. I researched several bootcamps before ultimately choosing Bloc because of the promise of flexibility (100% online), support (mentoring), and career preparation (Job placement guarantee), all for a comparatively good value. Having very little programming background plus a full-time job and a family that demand so much of my time already, I was more than a little nervous that I would not be able to maintain progress or that I would lose motivation and quit. Fortunately, Bloc eased my anxiety in a number of ways, starting with an orientation experience where I got all my questions answered about the program, followed by mentor selection. I have to say that my front-end development mentor, Junior, was amazing! He made me feel so comfortable and gain confidence, responded super quick whenever I reached out for help, any day of the week, and pushed me to learn even more than what I would have through the curriculum alone. Junior helped me to power through during stretches where I hit a wall, never allowing me to feel stuck or alone for long. I don't know how I would have made it this far without him. The rest of the support staff have been great, too, promptly responding and resolving any issue that has come up along the way. I find the curriculum challenging, which I expected it to be, and I've learned how to research solutions and become more confident tackling problems that initially seemed impossible. In this student's opinion, Bloc is a great value for anyone with similar constraints of a job/family, who is serious about learning to become a web developer.

• wolfgang truong • Student

Before I tried any bootcamp I tried self teaching through free schools and it wasn't until I joined Bloc that I realized how little progress I was making on my own. compared to my friends who've done other bootcamps else where; Bloc sets you up for success and I feel confident saying that.

With their mentorship and portfolio building curriculum not only will you feel confident by the time you finish the course but you'll have dozens of projects to show for it.

• Marka R. • Student

I am wrapping up my fifth week in the part-time web development program. I cannot express how happy I am I chose Bloc.

1- My mentor is absolutely incredible. I always feel comfortable asking him questions and he is thorough enough for someone with no background in web development to fully understand the content. I leave our meetings motivated and feeling really good about what I’m working on!

2. The curriculum is perfect for my learning style. A good mix of visuals, practice, and reinforcement has been so helpful in retaining information week to week. It’s also a perfect pace for working full-time!!

3. When shopping around for a web development program, price is always a concern. This is hands down the best value out there. Plus, the interest-only option is what made this program possible for me!

I’m only a few weeks in, but I feel like I’ve already learned so much! I’m actually excited to come home from work every day and continue my learning with Bloc!

• Joseph Ripple • Student

Currently 8 weeks into the Software Developer Track (@ 15hrs/wk pace), and so far so good. I am coming into this program with very little to no coding experience, from the perspective of career change after already obtaining a BA.  I took a few codeacademy courses (HTML/CSS) prior to starting the program to help make the transition more smooth.

Going into the program, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but everyone at Bloc was extremely helpful and supportive in the beginning phases of orientation.  Once I started the first Module and began working through everything, I started to see how well laid-out everything for the program is.  In the 8 weeks since I've started, there have already also been 2 updates to 2 of the modules, which is one of the best parts in my opinion.  Things are constantly changing in the tech world around us, so to be able to have access to a curriculum that is so adaptive is reassurring.  Addtionally, the mentorship is a very valuable aspect to going through this program.  As my only con is that the program can be quite difficult and challenging at times, which everyone at Bloc and all the testimonials attest to.

The farther that I am getting into the program the more excited I am becoming about what I'm learning and being able to put practical use to the skills I am learning throughout the process.

• Eric Ramirez • Student

I decided to join the Designer Track at Bloc and that's probably one of the best decisions I've made in my life.

EVERYONE is busy these days. Peronally, I have a full time job and a part-time job. Not to mention everyday responsibilities and activites.

Learning with Bloc has been at my pace, on my time, in the comfort of my home and/or office.

Could not be happier and I'm really looking forward to continuing my education with Bloc as  not only a UX/UI Designer but other areas of the field as well.

Can't speak highly enought about Bloc; ENROLL NOW!!!

• Naser Jamal Al-houti • Student

I'm on the Software Developer Track and almost done with the first module and this genuinely how I felt about the program so far.Right off the bat I'll let you know that this program is tough if you join this program without any prior programming experience  you will struggle, a good analogy of this would be learning Spanish or any other language for that matter you could learn it in a classroom and forget about it later on or you could visit the country and be forced to learn the language. this is what the Software Developer Track will make you go through.For example, in the first module, you are assigned to learn HTML CSS and JS.prior to taking this program I have spent two months learning HTML but in the program, they will expect you learn HTML and use it within the second week, which really enforces you to get into the habit of programming as oppose to doing it on and off.Secondly, the first thing you will learn in the SDT is terminal I had no prior experiences with terminal, and normally if I don't know something I would  watch a video on it, but when I started learning terminal on this program I ended up reading text and applying what they asked me to do (basically like reading a textbook) and that enforced me to google a lot of things I didn't know and that alone is what 80% of programmers do so it's a good habit to develop while you are in the program.The bottom line is this because it is an expensive program they will try to force you to learn as much information as possible in a short amount of time and by doing so if you survive the program you will be a much more suitable candidate than any other programmers who graduated from different boot camps.In other words, becoming a great programmer isn't easy so if you get into this program don't half ass it otherwise you won't even complete the first module.

• Gahee Heo • Graduate

I enrolled Full Stack dev course initially. I liked the curriculum and kept me going further so I transferred to Software Dev course. I learned rails, js, jquery, ajax, heroku, so many gems and so many more at Bloc.

Things I like about Bloc

- The curriculum is really great and thorough. And I love the projects that I can actually practice skills that I learn from Bloc. Later I got a job, I found these experiences are really, really helpful. I have CS degree but didn't learn the actual stuff that many companies are using in reality.

- My mentors are really really amazing. It was a really great experience to pair with senior developers. I learned so much from them. They were dedicated to help me improve skills. And very supportive specially when I was discouraged by challenges along the way.

- I can choose the learning pace. And I can pause for vacations. Sometimes I needed to have a break from coding. It was no problem to pause my program and then come back after fully charged.

- Great support team. They are so kind and supportive. Any questions or concerns about the program, they helped me promptly and continuously kept me updated until it's solved.

With the skills and knowledges that I gained from Bloc, I was able to work on a Rails project for some company on the side while taking the program even before I got a job.

As a junior developer now, I still need to learn. But Bloc helped me build the solid foundation and taught how to learn more.

Happy coding!

• Carlos Gomez • iOS Developer • Graduate

This is a great introduction to iOS and Objective-C, having no prior real world programming skills, i got enough skills to get an actual iOS dev job (entry level), very very quickly, strong foundations, and great mentorship.

I'd recommend this course to anyone interested in iOS!

• web dev student
    - 8/1/2017
    Luis Pineda • Student

I recently started the Web dev program at Bloc and I have not had any bad experiences. I have to stay that this is not like any other web dev bootcamp out there and it is more challenging, which is great! and you also meet with a mentor twice a week and they will show you real world experience code. I am really happy with Bloc and I look forward to the challenges in the coming weeks :)

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here