bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (442) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (48) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge

• Anonymous • Sr Technical Communicator • Student

I've been in Design Track about two months, and it's been alternately challenging and rewarding. The year before Bloc, I took related college courses but could tell that that route would take years because I work full-time and can only manage two courses at once. The Bloc program is very focused on exactly what a designer needs. I also talked with a lot of people before making the commitment.

One friend of mine graduated from the UX/UI course (one half the length and content of Design Track) and quickly found work at a startup. After a year, she began working on a UX team at a well-established company. I also spoke with students who graduated from academic online masters degree programs but didn't have much of a portfolio to show and seemed less directed.

The two things I value most about Bloc are that

• Students finish the program with a solid portfolio to show to potential employers.
    • Each student is paired with an experienced mentor to meet with at regular intervals for one-on-one sessions.

It's been great having a mentor who works in the field. My mentor Zach is encouraging, gives great, detailed feedback, and answers my many questions. Bloc members also have access to a Slack channel, which is where I go when I'm stuck on technical questions. The mentors hang out there, and I get answers quickly.

They don't hold your hand. Be prepared to work, maybe more than the program estimates you see on their site. (It does takes me longer to get through the modules.) As other reviewers have stated, you'll get out of it what you put into it. My advice: If you're considering the program, get a copy of the syllabus and look at the tools you'll be using; the more you can prepare in advance, the better off you'll be.

• Pretty great
    - 9/25/2017

I'm a month into my Designer Track program and can say I'm impressed. The layout of the checkpoints in the roadmap makes everything very easy to follow. Albeit some of the content can be ambiguous at times, having the mentor meetings is truly the most helpful component. The mentors make you feel more connected/involved and less alone in an online program.

- 8/26/2017

I have been enrolled in Bloc's Full-Time Designer Track for about a month and I am really loving my experience. Everything is online, which makes the course really flexible and has allowed me to continue working part-time as a result. What makes Bloc stand out to me, is the fact that I get one-on-one mentor meetings three times a week. My first mentor was awesome and I just got introduced to my second mentor. Additionally, I have met and chatted with mentors who aren't even assigned to me. The mentors really seem to care a lot about the success of the students and are so encouraging while still pushing you to become the best designer you can be.

Bloc also is continuously making improvements to their curriculum which I think illustrates that you can trust they are always up-to-date with industry standards.

Before enrolling, I did a lot of research and I am so happy I chose Bloc. It is more affordable and more flexible than most other Bootcamps, and their curriculum is more comprehensive.

I highly recommend Bloc to anyone thinking about enrolling in a Bootcamp!

• Anonymous • Web Developer at Facebook • Graduate

At first I was really skeptical when joining an online coding Boot Camp. I think the one on one mentor ship is what gravitated me towards Bloc. My mentor helped me gain the confidence and skills needed to become a web developer.

while the curriculum can be kind of difficult, I found that using slack and my mentor as a resource went a long way.

this program is not for people who like handholding, you really have to put in the work and remain dedicated.

that being said, I was able to find a developer job 2 weeks after I finished the program, so I do credit bloc for my success.

• Empowering
    - 7/7/2017
    Anonymous • Internet Engineer • Student

So far, the course has had me wanting to pull my hair out at some points, but the people within the actual program are SO helpful. There's a community, a vast amount of web programs that help you take care of things, there's the vast amount of tools, and everything is virtually free. Even with the tuition reimbursement. A few links havent worked for the tutorials, and the language is sometimes hard to understand, but they have a guarantee system that motivates you to push yourself to make the most of the money AND opportunity.

I am roughly half way through the Part Time Web Developer track and could not be happier with Bloc. My mentor has proven to be invaluble in my learning.

I can from a backgorund of mobile development but zero web deveolpment knowledge. Even without being complely through my program, I have used skills from the course for real (and deployed) web soultions. This is the great program for anyone who cannot commit to not working or taking projects for a span of months for an in person boot camp.

The curriculum was mediocre at least. You can buy a book from amazon and get better results ! The mentors are just awful i had Mathew Maxwell and he always make excuse about our meetings.

Overral you can learn something if you are new and dont have any experiance in the field but there are better alternatives out there and they are free.

• UI/UX Track
    - 9/15/2016
    Anonymous • Graphic designer • Student

Hello, before I choose Bloc, I had really done my research as to the schools both on ground and online that would give me the necessary skills to be more competitive in my field. My background is in print - graphic design and I felt that I was lacking in the skills that are required in todays market.

7 Weeks in I am glad I took the plunge and learning new things every day, whether its sharpening my skills in Illustrator, Photoshop or research. I have a passion for learning and can say I'm pretty strict on the hours I spend on bloc. I am currently freelancing and taking bloc classes on a part time basis, which is great, because I have the flexibility to accelerate or de-accelerate depending on my freelance projects.

My mentor is great, has a wealth of knowledge in graphic, web design and coding that I can always lean on for support.

To summarize, know what you want, work hard and you will be rewarded.

• iOS Course Review
    - 8/22/2016

I am currently halfway through the iOS development track and would definitely recommend enrolling in Bloc! I started out with basically no programming experience (besides doing various online exercises and videos over the past few years). I always had a desire and interest in learning to code, but didn't get far until I had the structure and mentorship that a Bloc program provides.

As others have said, it is critical that learning to program be something you are committed to and enjoy given the investment that this program will require (with both time and money). I have found that having a very tangible goal (such as getting a job or launching an app) to be a helpful motivator when you hit a tough patch.

Though there are a lot of resources for beginners available for free online, the Bloc curriculum and mentors are invaluable as you get further along and the amount of resources drops off. My mentor has been so helpful when I get stuck or want to think through how to best tackle a problem. The mentor sessions also help to keep you accountable and moving forward each week (I am enrolled in the course with a full time job - it is important to set time aside for Bloc).

It is not a good program. I had a nightmare experience with this online bootcamp. The mentors are really not helpful at all. Two sessions per week. 30 minutes each cannot answer all your questions and concerns. Mentorship vs Apprehensive ? It is ridiculous. You could save your money and keep learning through Code Academy. Not highly recommend!
  • Excellent Course
    - 8/17/2016
    Anonymous • Director of Information Technology • Student

I selected bloc based on reviews like this one and I have not been disappointed. The mentor led self paced learning is a perfect for my needs. My mentor is empowered to customize the course as needed to fit my exact learning needs as well. I am not looking to get another job, only to expand on my existing career, but the job focus that Bloc provides is excellent. Everything is about you. Making sure that you know the concepts and teaching what to expect when looking for a job and preparing you as best as possible. It is a very well rounded course and I have enjoyed it immensely.

Like you, I was out there looking to take my love for programming to the professional level. I did a lot of research about the various boot camps out there and Bloc was the perfect fit for me.

I wanted something in depth, but also flexible, as I could not afford to relocate and spend weeks going to seminars at a traditional boot camp. I needed something that worked around my schedule and Bloc provided just that.

While that was the main thing that drew me to Bloc that certainly wasn't the only thing. I really liked the mentor style teaching that they do and I believe it is a lot more effective than a traditional classroom setting. Not only are the mentors extremely knowledgeable but they're very understanding and friendly.

Not only do you develop a great relationship with an experienced programmer, but you also have access to the entire Bloc community of students and staff that you can discuss literally anything with. (This was a huge unforeseen plus for me)

As for the curriculum a lot can be said but, I'll just hit the highlights. Probably the best part about it is the amount of project/portfolio-building work you do. You can jam through tutorials just about anywhere and feel like you know how to program, but it's the projects where you really get to see what your made of AND where you get to really exercise your creativity. And this is where Bloc excels.

Even though the development stuff is mainly Ruby on Rails, your mentor can probably help you learn about other popular frameworks that you might be interested in, so really the sky is the limit in terms of what you can learn. (But trust me the curriculum will give you PLENTY of good stuff to learn so you will not be left wanting in knowledge)

There's so much more that I could discuss but I just wanted to make sure I covered the stuff that was important to me when I was at your stage. The bottom line is: Bloc is a great program and well worth the money (especially if you choose a job guaranteed track) I highly recommend it.

If you want a more thorough discussion of boot camps in general, here's a great video of some the big names in the industry talking about them vs. CS degrees (which you might also be considering) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=48D2ZcBHunQ

If you want get more info on Bloc I definitely would encourage you to sign up for an info session on the track you're interested in. They're immensely helpful.

Mentor, Mentor, Mentor…

It’s all about the mentor you have. I’m doing the full-stack course and changed my mentor twice at the beginning until I found my current mentor. The experience very different depending on your mentor. Just try to get a mentor who cares, because they are all skilled to teach you the material.

Material

Mentor is super important because the curriculum is extremely well designed and will teach you fundamentals thoroughly.  I believe the biggest growth happens during the project section and it’s the hardest part. But you will be amazed how much you learn.

Support

I was able to reach a human being every single time I have a question or issue. They really care and seem to want to do everything at their disposable to help you out. I bet you they would try to find you a babysitter if that’s what’s keeping you from coding.

• Anonymous • Applicant

I've been doing my research on boot camps recently and I just wanted to advise people that Bloc's Front-End Web Developer is $8800 base plus financing.

The 12-18 mo. Software Engineering/Software Development Track is now a whopping $24000 with financing taking it up to $30,000! For an online bootcamp. This is a 25% increase over the most recently listed tuition on their website and here. The timings has also changed from the website: 40 hrs/28wk 25hr/72wk and 15hr/144wk (nearly three years).

I am going to take a pass -there are other much more affordable programs reviewed here. I think Bloc increasingly sounds like it's for the person who simply "has to have the best" and measures that quality on price/cost.

5Star reviews are not applicable.

I've had an overall pretty good experience with Bloc so far.  I love the curriculum and the fact that I can do it all online (I have a 4 month old baby, so anything else was not an option).  I really feel like I'm learning things both well and in the right order.  It took my mentor and I a little while to "click" but I really get a lot out of our weekly sessions now and I feel like the face-to-face (or face-to-screen-to-face) interaction is what makes this different from doing projects on sites like CodeAcademy.

• So Helpful!
    - 7/4/2018
    Elena • Student
    Bloc was one of the best decisions I've ever made. They've taught me so much that I certainly wouldn't have thought to learn if I was self taught. Of course they go very in depth on using Figma, Sketch, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and so much more. The feedback I get on my submissions is invaluable, and being able to ask questions on Slack is a game changer. Trying to Google answers is a nightmare but having one on one help for 12 hours a day is making my education relatively low stress and fun! They've helped me grow as a designer and I have nothing negative to say. There's also a scholarship for women, so sign up ladies!!!
  • So Helpful!
    - 7/4/2018
    Elena • Student

Bloc has an acceptance rate of 100%, of which 100% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Bloc, 41% graduate. 73% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $65,411.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.

Bloc students reflected in this report as Enrolled are students who continued after 4 weeks of starting in the Part-Time Web Developer Track, Software Engineer Track, and Full Stack Track.

Read the verified report here: https://www.bloc.io/employment-and-completion-rates