bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (442) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (48) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner Skills Fund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner, Skills Fund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge

• This is great.
    - 7/26/2016
    Ben Kline • Student

I needed an online school with a proven track record that could replace getting a traditional 2nd Bachelor's degree. The Software Engineering track is doing exactly that. The mentor sessions quickly fill in the inevitable gaps that come from solo learning. The solo learning ensures that I am learning at my pace and never feel rushed or held back! The curriculum is always being tweaked and the team responds immediately to any requests or concerns. Private school is expensive, but I can already see that the time and money invested will be quickly made back with a good job.  Bloc has been a great fit.

• My Story
    - 7/22/2016
    Tim • Student

**Quick note about this review: I wrote quite a bit about myself. If you do not care for this and just want the points about Bloc feel free to skip down to the eighth paragraph (entitled Bloc Review) (Yikes, did I really write that much?).

#### Background

The reason I wrote so much about me is that while doing my own research I found that the most helpful reviews were the ones of this nature. If someone wrote, "Bloc is great. It fit my lifestyle" well that may be true... but I'm left with questions such as, "What is their lifestyle? Is it similar to my life situation? Are they working full-time? Part-time? Are they able to spend time away from the computer?" My hope in providing this context is to provide possible similarities and connection points that may help you decide which direction you wish to go. Making decisions like these can be stressful, I know, I just made mine recently! Just remember that it's never, ever too late to start something new or change directions once you do (Whew, that takes a lot of the pressure off, doesn't it?).

Currently I am enrolled in Bloc's Full Stack Web-Developer track (I believe it's now called the Part-Time Web Developer Track) and am about 1/3 of the way through the program. I'm having the time of my life.

I have always loved the idea of coding, but for various reasons never decided to give it my full attention. Very recently I took deeper look at it while taking an online classes and it sparked such an interest I decided to make a career switch and go for it.

Having gone through periods of attempting to learn C++ through Stanford lectures on YouTube and programming books, basic HTML via online tutorials, Codecademy for various languages, self-paced courses from Udemy for web development, and an online course for Python, I never found a path that _gave me direction_. I learned things from them, but it all felt very basic and narrow (hurray, I can make a very specific set of games using Python using a specific browser-based tool made to run Python code). I was never given any context as to where and when I could use these skills. Yes, I understand a large part of being a developer is honing the skill of being able to self-teach and come up with solutions, but everyone learns a little differently and personally I need to be given a little direction and context in order to build a solid foundation to be free upon. During my time going through the self-paced, online web dev course from Udemy, I learned many great skills through it, but I always had this nagging feeling of, "is this going to get me where I want to go?" This is when I looked into programming bootcamps.

I was extremely hesitant at first. I talked to many, many people and read many, many sources and articles about the pros and cons of bootcamp versus traditional college. I'm 24 and graduated with a BA in Psychology (Why not computer science? Because... well, I don't know. Life changes.) not too long ago and recently paid off my loans, so the idea of going back for another X amount of years and acquiring more debt wasn't too appealing. Also it meant potentially moving and probably classroom/commute time, so it was either that or finding something solely internet-based. For this reason I wanted the bootcamp to be the better of the two options (though in my head I still felt like college is the "official" way to go). After more discussions with various individuals and hiring managers it sounded like the majority of companies are more concerned with what you can do than how many years you've been to school for (save for a few exceptions regarding higher positions and specializes roles). Sweet. Bootcamp is a go.

Now... Which one? Well, that was actually a really easy decision. Not only was Bloc mentioned to me by a friend, but after comparison it seemed like a no-brainer (for my situation). The other bootcamps were extremely expensive, required in-person classes, which meant moving to extremely expensive places regarding housing- this is separate from the tuition cost (Bloc is very affordable, by the way), and were for many, many, many hours per week; this meant that I wouldn't be able to work and that my brain would be overloaded. I know what a "bootcamp" is and I know there is value in being able to persevere through it. However, I know myself and my beliefs. I know that I would get burnt out being in a classroom staring at a computer for 70 hours a week. I know that I often solidify information in my head and things start to click when I take breaks. For my own happiness and sanity I believe in balance for all things. Yes, I'm positive I could have succeeded doing an insane amount of hours per week, but why do that when I can work part-time to keep a steady flow of income, have a day or two here and there to still visit with friends and relax over dinner, and still be on my way to becoming a web developer? Bloc makes this possible? How? Well, I'm glad you asked. Let me tell you!

#### Bloc Review

Bloc is truly phenomenal in that it provides everything I wanted, had been looking for, and need. I like being shown exactly what I need to do: They have a set curriculum you go through that takes you step-by-step through what you need to know and do for building web applications. However, I also learn better by struggling through it myself: Each checkpoint has an assignment that you work through on your own and builds off of what you learned. It doesn't stop at just the lessons though. They teach you the necessary and usable resources. Whereas my Python class taught me Python and only that (what if I wanted to use a different GUI than the simple one they provided? Too bad. So sad. Go search for that other GUI on your own that you don't even know the name of.), Bloc integrates Git/GitHub for version control, Heroku for deployment of your projects and websites, various Ruby/Rails gems, and so much more while simultaneously mentioning and encouraging you to find your own resources to use; to be creative. What if the curriculum doesn't go over it? Ask your mentor!

Yes, you get a mentor. You even get to choose who you want (don't worry, you can switch if it's not working out)! As so many people have said this is invaluable. What does having a mentor do? Well, for me having a mentor means accountability! Some days I'm on fire and others... I just want to watch Netflix all day. Knowing I have a meeting with my mentor, personally, keeps me motivated and on-track out of respect for not wanting to waste his time. I'm also relieved at the idea of having someone extremely experienced (Bloc has a high standard for their mentors) looking over my code _and_ practices. Someone who is working in the field and knows what is and is not expected. It's also a great opportunity to ask questions that you may have from your checkpoint or assignment and dive deeper into a particular area. Also, they're just fun. I really enjoy my meetings with Matt.

Bloc is online and at your own pace. Ten hours a week? Forty hours a week? Yes. It's whatever you choose and whatever works for you. This is perfect for me. I'm currently at 25-30 hours a week. It means that, as I said earlier, I am able to balance having a part-time job, being out and away from the computer for a bit, and also continue on my path to becoming a web developer. I get the best of all worlds. Also did I mention that it's _entirely_ online? Which means, save for meetings with your mentor (which you can work out a time that works best for both of you), you can do it wherever, whenever. I've had days where my focus has been completely shot and I completed nothing I should have, and still others where I didn't move for the entire day because I was on a roll. This also makes it easy to fit your life. Bloc accounts for life. They allow you to "freeze" your program for a while if you have a family emergency, are sick, or just need a vacation. This extends your estimated finish date without shorting you any meetings with your mentor or putting you behind. They also let you change paces if you decide you want to put on more hours or take on fewer. Even if you do pick a pace, you're free to rush ahead as well. It's up to you.

Direction and career services. As I mentioned earlier one of my biggest struggles with typical online courses or other resources was the isolated learning. I had no path and no direction with them. Once I completed whatever I was going through I only felt slightly accomplished as the knowledge I had slowly died out due to inuse. Bloc has career services (even a tuition guarantee if you take the Software Engineer Track- which you can 'upgrade' to if you're already in the Web Dev track, which I really appreciate) that help you out after you're done. I can't speak too much to this as I'm currently in the program and have not yet taken full advantage of it, but I plan to! They have extensive resources that include teaching you how to build your resume and portfolio, how to present them once you have them, what to expect in interviews, and so much more. They also are constantly hosting webinars and other talks about web development, careers, and again -so much more- that they welcome you to attend.

It's for everyone. Another of my concerns was if I would succeed with what I had, which was very little programming knowledge. I felt very intimidated and outmatched by going into a bootcamp. Spoiler alert; you'll be just fine. I'm roughly three months into the program and have learned far more than I could have ever thought possible in such short amount of time! Regardless of your background, given that you are attentive to your work, you will succeed.

#### Conclusion and My Experience

My time at Bloc has been absolutely incredible. It has been challenging, fun, rewarding, and I have not regretted my decision in the least to go with the program and track that I chose. My goal of being a web developer and having a programming job as a career has seemed much more obtainable and realistic since joining Bloc and looking back I can see the progress I have made in such a short amount of time. The other students have been extremely encouraging and going through this with the Bloc community has truly made my experience great.

Okay. That's quite a bit. If you stuck with me; congratulations, I'm impressed and thanks for reading! I hope it helped you. If not, well, I don't blame you! It's a lot to read. I know there's quite a about Bloc that I missed and resources that I didn't expound upon (like their awesome Slack community- super awesome and helpful, full of students going through the same track as you. Heck, we may even cross paths if you join!), but as you've already discovered for yourself the Bloc employees and advisors themselves are invaluable! They are extremely pleasant to talk with and love answering your questions. My student advisor, Andy, was incredible and always replied to my emails and questions within mere hours, helping me make my decision and informing me of helpful tools and resources.

Bloc provides so many options, opportunities, and (yes, this word yet again) resources, both for those considering their program and those currently enrolled; use them all!

• I Love Bloc!!!
    - 7/21/2016
    Zayne • Student

I started Bloc in the summer of 2015 on the Full Stack Web Dev Track. The aim of my studies was to change my career from the boring day to day accounting world into something exciting that gets me thinking out of the box on a daily basis. I wanted a career that allowed me to push the boundaries, create and conquer. A little bit about me and my background of tech ... Well it's pretty simple, I have never worked in IT and my IT skills were probably the same as your average high school grad. Needless to say my knowledge of development was extremely little to none, so as you can imagine changing a career is daunting enough but changing your career into the complete unknown is extremely scary!

I started by doing allot of research, I was desperate to get out of my routine and current situation so I was plugging away trying to find a course asap. I came across many many online boot camps and even tons of free online resources all of which I discovered would have been useless without the help and guidance from a mentor that has years of industry experience. Something I have learned from programming is its not a subject or career that you can pick up on or simply learn and regurgitate text book style which is where Bloc has been abslutely amazing!!! The guidance and mentorship I have recieved from hours of online collaboration and Skype share sessions with an industry proffesional is something I have gained massively from! It's learning you can't put a price tag on as it is a life skill used in the real world as a programmer. From the very beggining working with Bloc has been like living in a 5* resort. The team make you feel welcome from the minute you start, always availale to help out with any information needed. For someone who was at the time completely new to the sector I was seriously looked after. The other great benefit of studying with Bloc is the flexibilty of weekly meetups. As I am still working full time in a demanding job I sometimes have a week or two where there was no way I was going to be getting any studies done which I thought was going to be an issue as I would be cutting into study time and losing out on money invested into the course BUT the great team at Bloc were as always eager to help and simply advised me that I have the freedom of "freezing" my account for a while and when I was ready I could resume as per normal.

All I can say is, I have no regrets and cant believe you can change your career with such ease and I wish I had done it sooner.

• Dan Schutte • Software Engineer • Student

I joined the Bloc Bootcamp program in November 2015 to restart my software development career. While I started my career in software development, my path has included time as an IT leader and most recently, client-facing IT project manager. I’ve enjoyed the twists and turns of my career, but found I  missed the opportunity to solve problems creatively, using software.  It was hacking I was missing.

Early in my career, a friend said something to me that has stuck: ”Always keep your toolbox close at hand”. It meant, if you are in a technical role, keep learning new languages and technologies. I tried to stay current through the years but it became more difficult with the demands of managing projects, resources, and clients. So when I decided to leave my position last year (due to personal family matters), I remembered that piece of advice and realized it was time to add some more tools to my toolbox.

Coming from a application development background, I knew I was interested in web development, specifically Ruby and JavaScript. Talking to friends and doing online research, I discovered online coding bootcamps. Given my personal situation, this was the perfect path for me to update my skills - working at my own pace, in my own space.

But deciding to go with an online boot camp is one thing. Deciding WHICH boot camp is a whole other story! Course Report helped with my search. I originally  narrowed it down to Firehose, BLOC, Code Academy, and Dev Bootcamp. I wanted more guidance than a self-pace­­­­d program like Code Academy. I liked Firehose, with their focus on back-end skills and team development. I knew from my own experience how critical these skills are to becoming a well-rounded developer.

In the end, the marketing and promotion quality of Bloc won me over.  During a intro to Bloc webinar, one of the instructors said to me, “what is the point of certification? That does not mean much; what counts is building a portfolio of projects on a source repository like Github and showing that to a potential employer.  That is a much better way to demonstrate your skills.” With their commitment to education, one-on-one mentoring, and ability to help me build my portfolio, I was sold.

I started the Bloc full-stack course in November 2015 and will be finishing in July 2016.  I started with the Ruby on Rails (RoR) track that was followed by the front-end portion. Jon Linowes led me through my Ruby training and John O’Connor through the front-end portion.

I am thrilled  with the experiences and knowledge that both these mentors provided. They work with this technology every day and have many many years of experience. They were also a great source of information beyond just “how does this work” or “why isn’t it working”.  We discussed things like, “how is this really used in business”, “how did you select that tool”, and so on.

Jon provided solid corrective guidance through code walkthroughs and helped me when I really got stuck. He had a rich set of experience to draw from to answer my questions. I enjoyed his style and in the end he turned me into a real fan of Ruby.

John was a great cheerleader. He made me feel confident in what I was learning and always had suggestions, expertise, and tips to improve my projects. He would often challenge me to add something else make it more fun (albeit more difficult!)  He knew I would gain so much by getting stuck and ultimately figuring it out on my own or working together as a team.

If you are looking for a mentor, I highly recommend Jon and John.

Bloc’s online tutorials were excellent. Many times, I could have sworn something was wrong with the tutorial and came to realize I missed something. I believe these tutorials have improved over the past few years after speaking with previous graduates.

Each track started with the basics of the lessons, followed by a complete walk-through of how to build an online application. For RoR it was a Reddit clone and Javascript was an online music player. Much of this training was typing in code into your local development platform and running your tests from there. Next up, you pick several projects they recommend to develop with some general guidance. Creating a capstone project is part of the curriculum, as well as job preparation tutorials. The Bloc mentors conduct mock technical interviews which helped me get comfortable with using tools like CodePen or JSBin to write sample code on demand during a video interview session.

I highly recommend Bloc if you can afford it. It’s pricey, and takes a strong commitment and effort on your part...but it is totally worth it.

Here’s my short list of pros and cons:

Pros

·      Online and self-paced within a selected track

·      Can freeze the program if your schedule changes

·      One-on-one mentoring sessions with a person you choose

·      Interactive code reviews using technologies like Screenhero

·      Gradual build of complexity

·      Focus on building a portfolio of your projects

·      Ability to build a capstone project of your own

·      Proven track record and many reviews online

Cons

·      Not cheap

·      The full stack course can be overwhelming as you go deeper into the program if you don’t have a foundation of knowledge and/or background in development

·      No paired-programming or sense of working with other student developers but they do have a great development community with learning and connecting with other Bloc attendees

• Noel D • Project Manager • Student

Bloc is one of a few, in my opinion, coding bootcamps that offer a fully online program.  When you're working full-time AND trying to change careers, this is the only way to go.  I've researched several programs and found that this program had the best price to content available.

I opted for the full-stack, Ruby, course.  I was able to take it part-time - 36 weeks vs 12 weeks.  This was huge.  working full-time, meant just a couple hours during the week nights and 10-12 hours on the weekend.  My pace was slow, but being able to take my time, helped me to grasp and remember more concepts than if I was in a full-time 12-week course.  The course, was not watered down either.  I do a good amount of programming (VB/SQL) in my current job, but this was no easy task.  I was learning a new technology stack, current development concepts, test driven development, and building real-world programs from scratch.

After I completed the Full-Stack Ruby program, I went on to enroll in their Software Engineering Track.  This adds Front-end Development (HTML, CSS, Javascript), Databases and Algorithms, and  Open Source Apprenticeships.  The idea is to give students the same computer science education that is offered at a four year university in less than half the time.

I'm about halfway through the program.  It really has enriched my life.

My mentors are good.  I think I could've used more help, but I don't know if that was on purpose.  It did force me to rely on help from my peers and coding forums and Google searches for the answers I needed.  My current mentor has been Awesome!  He has been extremely encouraging and on top of making sure I have steady progress.  I've completed 90% of the Front-end course under him, and because I'm ahead of schedule, for my capstone project, he added me to his team on a start-up concept he is working on.  It's like a internship where I'm learning more frameworks such as (Meteor, Blaze, MongoDB, responsive web design, etc.)

If you are looking for a good online coding bootcamp, you simply won't be disappointed with Bloc.  The content is comprehensive.  They want you to learn and to succeed.

• John McIntosh • Graduate

In May 2015, I enrolled in Bloc's Mobile Developer Career Track* so that I could learn how to make mobile games, specifically for Android. My track consisted of Android first then Rails Web Development.

I enrolled in Bloc because of their mentorship, online availability, and they were the only bootcamp offering Android at the time. I had researched other bootcamps, but they did not meet my criteria.

Android: 12 weeks, mentor: Michael Lustig

In hindsight, I should have taken 36 weeks for this course. 3 mentor meetings a week is nice if you're not working (I wasn't), but I did not get much out of my later meetings as I was able to cover most of my questions and challenges in 1 meeting.

Michael is a great mentor. I liked his teaching style. He explained concepts and ideas succinctly so that I could understand. I liked that he was willing to exceed the 30 minute mark for mentor meetings if I was struggling or if he needed extra time explaining things. He regularly replied to my messages and rescheduled with me as needed. We still keep in touch.

As I mentioned above, my driving factor to take Android was so I could learn how to make mobile games. Bloc did have a project that walked you through making games for Android, but it was outdated. For my capstone project, I learned enough Unity to make a game called Color Words. It is a color matching game that is easy to learn, and challenging to master. Currently, I'm diving deeper into Unity in my spare time to improve my game development skills.

Rails: 36 weeks, mentor: Jess Rodriguez

Originally, my track consisted of a mobile/mobile component, however, through some solid advice from Stan I was able to switch from iOS to Rails.

The best part about taking the slow path is that you have time to absorb the material and you don't have to rush.

If you like patient people, pick Jess as your Rails mentor. He enjoys teaching and seeing his students succeed. He'll encourage you and suggest outside resources to reinforce concepts and explore new ones. Additionally, if you feel 30 minutes is not enough for a mentor meeting, he usually goes over the limit. I highly recommend him.

The Rails course is great. I liked that videos are included in almost every checkpoint because I like seeing things done before I try them. There is constant reinforcement from project to project and you'll learn relevant concepts to make you marketable.

Since enrolling and completing Bloc, many other bootcamps have adopted mentorship and have added online offerings. I can't stress enough that it is important to find the right bootcamp for you if you decide to go this route. I found Bloc in early to mid-2014, but kept doing research until early 2015 to find something comparable to what they offered. I didn't find anything to sway me from Bloc, but that's probably because I made up mind about committing to this bootcamp.

*This Track was discontinued by Bloc. Ask me about it if you're curious.

• Jacob Jackson • Student

Although there have been times where I've been completely frustrated with the curriculum and my mentors, overall I've had a fantastic experience with Bloc. They do a great job of "hand-holding" you through most of the fundamentals of each language by teaching you the basics and helping you through your first project in the foundation portion of each track, and then take the training wheels off with projects that give you specifications but don't tell you exactly how to accomplish the desired result.

I started Bloc in November 2015 on the Full Stack Web Developer track. After completing some pre-work on Codecademy, I began learning Ruby and selected a mentor, Joseph Caudle. Joseph was very effective at explaining some of the behind-the-scenes logic with Ruby and teaching me how to problem solve more effectively by using Google, Stack Overflow, and other resources. As I was completing the first project within the foundation, he helped me troubleshoot any problems that I was stuck on and gave me hints for where to look as opposed to outright telling me what I was doing wrong.

Once I got to the projects stage of the Backend (Ruby on Rails) track, I hit a wall. My first app took me forever to get through and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I was pretty close to quitting completely out of frustration, but he helped keep my spirits and motivation up, and I finally finished that first project sans training-wheels. The next two projects I did in Ruby on Rails were a breeze and by the end of that track, I felt like I was a decently capable Ruby on Rails programmer.

Armed with some knowledge of how to problem-solve and troubleshoot, I began my front-end (javascript/html) track. I switched mentors to John Uke, and he has been very good about helping me solve problems myself instead of just giving me the answer. He has also been immensely helpful in tempering my expectations for the job market after I finish up, as well as giving me pointers on the ins and outs of freelance work. He also encouraged me to design my own portfolio using HTML/CSS/JQuery as opposed to using the templates given. This helped my creativity immensely and taught me how to create a website from scratch as opposed to modifying what has already been given to me.

I ran into some of the same roadblocks whenever I started my first javascript and angular projects, but this time around I knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel and it would likely get easier after I completed a couple of them. I'm looking forward to doing some freelance work for a couple of months to build up my portfolio before applying for junior developer jobs with the confidence that I'll have the tools necessary to succeed as a web developer.

Really my only gripes with Bloc are the cost (although it beats the hell out of a 4 year degree) and some minor inconsistencies in the foundation and project work. Usually, they're pretty quick to fix these, and they really haven't hindered my progress along the way. I would definitely recommend Bloc to anyone who is interested in pursuing a career in web development.

• Alvaro Mangual • Student

In 2013, I decided to turn a twenty-year-old hobby into a career.  Many of you may know that there are essentially two ways to become a software engineer, web developer, UX designer ( and many other IT careers).  One, you pick a skill you want to develop and get out to the internet to find the countless free tutorials, challenges, and short lessons.  Two, you enroll in a formal training program (Bootcamp, technical school, college).  In the 20 plus years that I have been experimenting with software design and more recently web development, countless experts have encouraged me to always keep an open mind ot the how I learn best.  They also are quick to point out that few truly successful developers are completely self taught.

Whay explain any of this?

Choosing to become serious about a career change meant that I needed a guide into the industry.  Is a technical course or bootcamp a guide?  Well, it is if it is designed as such from the ground.  When I found Bloc, one of the first things I did was speak to  mentor.  Even before sending a penny, I was able to ask countless questions about the real-life of a developer and the real process of getting into the industry.

In my opinion, Bloc cirriculum exceeds all expectations from beginner to advanced developers.  Adding the regular direction and coding interactions with developers from Amazon to free-lance, and everything in between moves Bloc to the top of the pack of coding bootcamps.  I almost think it is unfair to call it a bootcamp as the knowledge you will gain is much more complete.

Look around, you will find more and more bootcamps following the mentor-lead training of Bloc.  My mentors have been a perfect match for my learning style.  They are always available to me and never let me get stuck (well sometimes when they see that it is something very simple, they will challange me to push through and I end up learning a great deal).

My current mentor, Matt, and I have developed a great relationship.  Our calls are casual, but on task.  When I succeed in mastering a subject, Matt gives me a look at how he uses that in his daily coding work.  I really enjoy seeing lessons applied to real challenges and that motivates me to work harder to understand lesson concepts.  Matt also directs me to extra knowledge to expand on the lessons when he sees that I would like to write code that would add to any given lesson plan.  Did I mention that Matt makes himself available to me at all times!  I know that mentors have families, jobs, and other responsibilities; but, I regularly hear from other Bloc students that their mentors make themselves equally available.

Bottom-line: you are making an investment not only through money but your time.  Might as well invest in a Bootcamp that is committed to giving you every bit as much back as you give.  Seems to me that you can only fail at Bloc by deliberately sabotaging yourself.

• Great Experience!
    - 5/27/2016
    Jordan Epps • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate

Bloc does a fantastic job making sure you hit the ground running with the full stack developer track. You beging writing code from day one and I think that's absolutely imperative for anyone looking to make a career transition into software development.

Both of my mentors were extremely knowledgable and always available to give me feedback and talk things through with me if/when I would get stuck. At the end of the program I really felt well equipped to enter the workforce as a web developer.

• Awesome Program
    - 5/27/2016
    Valorie • Student

The software engineering course is very well designed to cover frontend, backend, and engineering principles. They also incorporate career prep to help you build a personal portfolio and interview skills. The mentorship aspect is awesome! They pair you one on one with an experienced professional to help you all along the way and it is invaluable. It is also soo convenient that it is all online and you can choose what pace to go at. Overall, I've had an awesome experience!

• Michael Medis • Student

Bloc has changed the course of my life and I never had to leave my hometown. Computer Programming and Web Development have been something that I always wanted to do but never had the right direction to follow and always ended up feeling very lost and intimidated. Bloc changed that perspective completely. I chose the full stack web development track. My first mentor and I studied the Backend curriculum first which included a Ruby Foundation and then the Ruby on Rails framework to build web applications. After 6-8 weeks I really felt like a different person in front of a keyboard. Programming was no longer intimidating it was fun and it was all I thought of day in and day out. I went to sleep thinking about my code then woke up wanting to get back to the program. Bloc gave me an opportunity to have a career in something I am completely passionate about, thats more I could ever ask for. I digress, Finishing the Backend with Ruby on Rails my mentor took two weeks to help me learn ReactJS because he knew I was going into the frontend after our mentorship and he really explained to me why I was doing certain things in my codebase to help me understand the framework and language correctly. I felt really happy with just the backend experience itself, I almost wanted to start to apply for Ruby positions. LOL. I couldn't do that I had 3-4 months of Frontend curriculum to learn. I was completely blown away with my frontend mentor he was so educated and had taught physics and almost every subject I had ever heard of, he wasn't only an amazing programmer he was as good or better as a teacher. My frontend mentor made me think of web applications and coding languages in a completely different way, I was challenged and tested at every turn and that made all the difference not only did he teach me JavaScript, jQuery, AngularJS, and even how to build an Alexa Skill for Amazon he taught me how to solve my own problems in my programming and how to test and how to think first then act my way out of the bug. The entire Bloc experience has changed my life for the better and they have helped with every part of getting prepared for the interviewing process and how to get employed with your new skill. I would recommend Bloc to anyone who wants to become a Web Developer. 10/10

• Anna Mack Severn • Student

I'm nearly finished with the Bloc UI/UX track and I absolutely love it.  The curriculum is top notch, and weekly meetings with my mentor allow me to get feedback quickly.  I've learned a ridiculous amount and feel confident putting it into practice. My mentor has so much valuable experience that I'm just 100% grateful every day that he considers mentoring other folks! I've already created a rather full portfolio and I couldn't have done it without Bloc.

The only thing I would caution is that if you aren't a good time organizer or self-starter Bloc may be hard. You have to find the time to dedicate to your work and be prepared for your meetings. If that skill is difficult for you then you should consider a traditional classroom. For me I wanted something virtual and remote, so Bloc was perfect.

I couldn't recommend Bloc any more highly!

• Great Course
    - 5/26/2016
    Ross Waguespack • Student

I'm currently 2 months into the Full-Stack Web Development Track.  I have found Bloc to be the perfect fit for my learning style.  I started learning web development on my own about a year and a half ago and have struggled grasping concepts with no one to really explain the why some piece of code should work like it does.  Bloc has helped with that and more.  One of the biggest selling points for me was the Mentor that I was assigned to.  He has helped me so much over the last 2 months, not by giving answers but guiding me to the answer so that it sticks in my mind better.

The curriculum so far has been great.  They explain a concept and walk you through it then turn around for an assignment and have you work the same type of concept on a diffrent part of your app.  I know for a fact that I am farther along the journey to becoming hirable than I would of been without Bloc.  I have a strong understanding of a Rails application and create most features that I like to see in apps.  The projects focus on more specific topics than do the foundation app.

I honestly can not speak about the job assistance as I have not get to that until later in the course, but I will update this review upon graduation from Bloc.  Overall it has been a greate experience so far.

• shannon • UX Copywriter

I'm a copywriter who works closely with designers, and for a long time, I've wanted to learn UX & design skills myself. So far, Bloc has done a fantastic job of equipping me with the knowledge and skills I was looking for. The course moves quickly while still honoring the complexities and nuances of the discipline — from user research, to wireframing, to prototyping, to full-fledged design and coding, we've spent time in each part of the process. I'm actually as competent as my designer coworkers now in newer tools like Sketch & InVision.

My mentor is awesome and responsive — he's an experienced UX designer & "digital nomad" with unreal design chops, and he goes above & beyond to send me extra resources and inspiration.

I can't recommend Bloc highly enough. You obviously have to be self-motivated, but if you keep your eyes on the prize, you'll get a ton out of the course. In my opinion, there's no better education for your $$.

• Jigesh Parekh • Software Developer • Student

Like many people jumping into the bootcamp world, I entered the realm with suspicion... making any sort of investment to an institution is a big leap of faith and requires a lot of research and pre-work before you place your name on the dotted line.

With that said, all of my hesitation was soon washed away when I was greeted with Blocs student advisors and technical staff, of whom have demonstrated world class technical expertise in full stack and software engineering fundamentals. As a current student, I cannot speak any higher than I am right now when I say these people will support you and your efforts to better yourself in development. This program is intensive and requires a very large chunk of your day every day to see progression, but you WILL see progression and you WILL succeed if you put the time in.

That is where Bloc differs from the other bootcamps I have experienced. Bloc holds you to a high standard of work ethic and supplements that drive. You must have the hunger to learn, Bloc like any other educational institution can only support your pursuits - but they do it with grace and a level of patience I have never seen in any formal classroom.

• Charles Massey • Web Developer • Graduate

I have recently completed the RoR full stack course and I must say that it has definitely been worth the money. More than anything, having a mentor helped me get over the hump of learning to code. Not only that, but the tips and reccomendations my mentors gave me where invaluable.

I give job assistance 2 stars because bloc didn't really help me. Most of the connections are on the west coast and I live in Atlanta, Ga. This hasn't been too much of a problem for myself (I'm outgoing), but I just wanted to be clear what this rating was directed toward.

• Career Change!
    - 5/12/2016
    Boban

I've been doing the same job for the past 5 years and the question of what's next for my career path has been popping up in my head of what's next for me? I couldn't afford to work part time or quit my job so I enrolled in the full stack developer bootcamp. Since than I had to take a break for holidays, unexpected events by Bloc team has been very helpful! Going through the curiculum can be quite challanging but simple googling or Slack chat room and some of your questions will be answered. Mentors though, I've had two. Quite amazing. The first one was quicker to respond to any quesitons than the second. I still have about half of it to go through, but would highly suggest! Go for it! Happy hacking!

• Anonymous • iOS Developer • Graduate

I left my 15 yr career as a sales profesional 2 years ago with the thought that I would teach myself and become a remote iOS dev.  After a year and a half I was starting to get interviews, but when it came time for the technical interview I was always being told that I needed a bit more knowledge and skill before I was hireable.  So I started looking at bootcamps.

bloc.io seemed like the best situation for me because I live far from a major metropolitan area and I liked the idea of 1 on 1 mentorship.  I carefully looked at the mentors and chose one(Brandon Alexander) who looked like they were living the career I wanted.  Turns out my choice could not have been better.  My mentor, though tough, was a wealth of knowledge and went above and beyond when it cam to helping me learn the skills I needed.  I credit him with my ability to land the job I did.

I would highly recomend bloc.io if you are self motivated and willing to put in the time.  The support structure is great.  Thank you bloc!!!

• Katelyn Hertel • Student

I enrolled in the 3 month intensive Ruby and Rails bootcamp through Bloc. I have to say I honestly thought that I wouldn't be as prepared as I am. I still have 2 weeks left and I am currently on a plane to San Francisco from NYC for a job interview. I couldn't have gotten here without Bloc and my mentor, Brittany. (HIGHLY RECOMMEND HER!)

I've been able to work on several projects including one that is close to my heart. My favorite part about Bloc is that I am able to find my own solutions for problems. We all know in coding that there is always more than one way to solve a problem. Some schools want you to learn one way and they really try to drive that way into your head. At Bloc I am encouraged to learn ALL the solutions and then use which one I think is most useful.

I also love their mentors. I meet with mine 3 times a week and even through severe sickness she kept on me and encouraged me to do my best. She has become more than just a teacher but a friend. Bloc really puts a lot of effort into the mentor mentee relationship and I think that is a huge reason why I've been so successful!

The lessons are easy to follow and keep up with. Even when they get hard and you inevitably fall behind, your mentor will work with you to catch you up and make sure you are truly understanding everything rather than just finishing the lesson to get it over with.

I really can recommend Bloc enough. I might have a job by the end of the week and I haven’t even graduated yet. You won’t be sorry, trust me!

• In-Progress Review
    - 5/11/2016
    Noel Worden • Student

I started the Full Stack Developer program in February and I am happy with the progress I have made so far. I am taking the course part time (15-18 hours a week) while still working a 40+ hours a week job M-F. I haven't completed the program, so I cannot attest to every single aspect, I wanted to write a review about what I have experienced so far in order to help others looking into a program like Bloc make an educated decision.

The coursework is thorough and they step you into new elements gradually. I am a week away from completing the foundation block of the  Ruby course which means I will soon be getting into the projects phase, and I feel that I have been adequately setup to complete those projects.

When starting the program you are able to chose which mentor you would like to work with. I was able to choose from 8 different people, all of which appeared to fit many different student personalities. My mentor is incredibly knowledgeable, he responds to my messages in less than a day, and makes the most of our weekly Screenhero meetings.

I looked in depth at several other online mentor-led programs, with Thinkful and Careerfoundry also rising to the top of my list. In the end I felt like Bloc had the best combination of total classroom hours (many programs are much shorter) and a good price structure. You most definitely have to be self-motivated to succeed with this, or any other, online program, but if you have the drive Bloc gives you the tools. What is nice about a program like this is that if you have the momentum you can work beyond the 18 hours a week and finish the foundation block ahead of the pace, which leaves you more time for the projects.

In summary, I am happy with everything I have experienced up to this point. I would -and have- recommend Bloc to anyone wanting to learn to program. I will update this review as a progress through the program. If you want more details I am also keeping a weekly blog about my experience noelworden.com.

• Kelson • Operations manager

i started the full stack track at Bloc around 4-5 months ago.  I enrolled in the part time 15-20 hours a week.  I am currently working full time, 40/ hr a week, on top of my Bloc curriculum.  This is why I picked Bloc.  I didn't want to quit my job or give up my life, but I still really wanted to enroll in a dev boot camp.  Bloc gave me this opportunity.  I have learned so much since I first started, and my mentor is an awesome guy.  I am currently working on my first project with backend!  Super excited about that.  The only problem I've found with this program is that with the mentor meetings only occurring once a week for 30 minutes (because I'm in the slowest program), I often wish I could have a session sooner or more frequently.  Overall I am extremely pleased, and I will be sure to post an update the further I get in the program!!!

• Cameron • Graduate

Bloc’s Ruby on Rails program provided an excellent introduction to the field of web development.  Bloc really makes an effort to return a good value for your investment by making the most of the Ruby gems and the capabilities that they provide in the Rails framework.  The program covered a lot of ground.  I took the course after retiring from the Marine Corps and it was a steep learning curve.  What I would recommend to anyone taking the Ruby on Rails course is that you have some HTML/CSS/JS/front-end skills as part of your foundation, it will help to make the most of the instruction.  The mentorship part of the course is where the real value lies; as a beginner there were things I wouldn’t have known to ask, and then later the pair-programming really tied it all together.  My mentor was professional and very helpful, in terms of providing insights, engaging in dialog and responding quickly; I always felt part of a solid program going through the course.

• Virginia • Student

I had very little coding experience before joining Bloc's full stack web developer track. It has been a very challenging course, however, I am satisfied with my progress thus far. It's amazing to see the fruit of your efforts during the project and capstone project phases.

I've completed the backend portion and am halfway through the frontend. I've worked with several mentors and have found each one to be very knowledgeable, helpful and unique in their teaching approaches.

I work full-time, so Bloc's flexible schedule was very appealing to me. I also like Bloc's ongoing course improvements and offerings such as the new software engineering track. I'd strongly recommend Bloc for busy working professionals looking to make a career change.

• Raja • Software Architect • Student

I'm currently enrolled in the full stack program at Bloc.io. Bloc is an awesome bootcamp that really believes in you learning the material. I did months of research prior to choosing a bootcamp and Bloc checked all the boxes for me. Little did I know that it would exceed my expectations even further once I started.

The course material itself is very informative and challenging (in a good way). It really challenges you in a way that makes you actually learn the concepts. There are many websites out there where you can code Ruby on Rails and other languages but when it's all done, you quickly forget some of the important features of that specific language. Bloc's course requires you to code it in a way that makes it "stick" in your head.

Blocks maintains the rhythm of learning and the Rspec material is latest and the best. No other sources has such a material on Rspec up-to-date.

• Great Bootcamp!
    - 5/8/2016
    Tucker Mullen • Student

I'm currently enrolled in the full stack program at Bloc.io. I just finished the back end portion and I'm getting ready to start the front end here in a few days. Bloc is an awesome bootcamp that really believes in you learning the material. I did months of research prior to choosing a bootcamp and Bloc checked all the boxes for me. Little did I know that it would exceed my expectations even further once I started.

If you still struggle with the material, you have a mentor available to help you 1-on-1 which is a priceless tool in my opinion. I've attempted to learn programming on my own with constant failing attempts. Having a mentor available to ask questions and talk to really helps me get over those rough times where I get stuck on certain code. I'm not sure on the different options you can choose from on meeting with your mentor but I meet with mine twice a week which is perfect in my opinion.

Overall, like I said earlier, I researched a lot of bootcamps prior to starting last fall and I'm glad I did because Bloc really is the camp you should choose over the rest!

Bloc has an acceptance rate of 100%, of which 100% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Bloc, 41% graduate. 73% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $65,411.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.

Bloc students reflected in this report as Enrolled are students who continued after 4 weeks of starting in the Part-Time Web Developer Track, Software Engineer Track, and Full Stack Track.

Read the verified report here: https://www.bloc.io/employment-and-completion-rates