bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.62

all (472) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Paul Harris • Student

I am in the process of transitioning out of the military into software development. I was in a rut with self-learning. I really needed a structured program that would put me on a timeline and trajectory for success. Bloc has a set curriculum that will help me start a career I always dreamed of in about 8 months. It was right on time and exactly what I was looking for because I needed to start a job within the year and was starting to stress out of wether I would be ready while self-learning. I am married with a three year old working full time and I have been able to stay on track. I am not losing sleep about wether I am on pace or not on my journey to start a new career in tech. I will graduate in a few more months with a portfolio that will get me a well paying job. At Bloc I have particularly liked the mentors and Slack group available. These were things I couldnt get while self-learning and have proved very valuable. My mentors have brought items to my attention about the software/web development sector that I wouldn't have learned otherwise. I would seriously reccomend Bloc to anyone looking for what is almost a gateway to a software dev career.

- 4/23/2018
    John Morandarte  User Photo
    John Morandarte • Nurse • Student Verified via GitHub

Hi all! I am currently a student with bloc for two months now for web developing. I am a complete beginner when I started and I dont even know how to write a single line of code. But now, I am learning a lot and writing all these complicated codes in just a short period of time while working in a full time job. Its really amazing and I highly recommend bloc!

• Kurt Zikaras • Software Engineer • Graduate

Bloc is a challenging, but completable coding boot camp for those of us who cannot attend an in-person program. Bloc has used it's years of experience to craft a proven program that will turn you into an industry-ready developer. Bloc is constantly evolving according to student feedback, and they always put their students' interests first. Thanks to bloc I was able to transition into a role as a software engineer 4 months after completing the program. Not only that, but my new employer was actually impressed with the skills and portfolio I had to show thanks to Bloc. I highly recommend considering Bloc.

• Shelby B  User Photo
    Shelby B Verified via LinkedIn

I've been enrolled in the Design Track at Bloc for about 4 months now, and I am so happy I did. I shopped around for a design bootcamp for months, but the fact that I held a full-time job I couldn't take a break from and that I didn't live in a massive metropolitan area was really limiting my options. The only thing available locally required a lot of money up front and total M-F, 8-5 commitment.

Bloc lets me pace my curriculum in a way that allows me to work my full-time job while still letting me work towards my future. They also offer payment plans and scholarships - which seemed pretty rare when I was researching similar programs.

I won't lie, you will work hard! There's a lot of commitment even at the slowest pace. And be aware of any changes to your coursework. They're constantly updating and that can sometimes tweak an assignment. However, there's a large community available to help you. As long as you communicate with your mentor and the student success team, they will do as much as they can to help you reach the finish line!

• Jazz Bohgal Software Developer Track  User Photo
    Jazz Bohgal Software Developer Track • Student Verified via GitHub

I've had a slow start with Bloc thus far, but the knowledeg I've gain has been tremedous witht the time I've deciated to studying. The enrollment process is and straight forward. Mentors are great uplifting peole that keep you motivated and focuese, and also exmaples of software engineers you'd inpsire to become very soon. I'd recommend Bloc tp anyone with a busy schedule, but still enough time to dedicate at least 20 hours a week to help advance your create your start a new career.

• Laura Szumylo • Assistant to Area Vice President @ a VNA • Student

This course is exactly what I had expected it to be.  It is designed to get you ready for the real world.There are definitely some days that take a toll on you but the Bloc community and mentors are always there to help cheer you on and help out anyway they can.

You definitely need to put in the time and effort but I believe this is all preparation for a great career  My graduation date isn’t until August and I have a lot of work to get done, but I’m excited for my future and thankful for the folks at Bloc for all they have taught me  I have come a long way from day 1 and I have so much more to learn :)

• Stephanie  User Photo
    Stephanie • none • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I deeply recommend Bloc. I am in their UX Design program after owning my own business for 14 years and was nervous to start over at 40. You get from the program what you are willing to put into it. The challenge level is high but not unattainable. The informations is pecied into succinct digestible chunks. I am super excited to get started in my new career!

• Cherie M • Marketing Director • Student

I've been in the Bloc Designer Program for a little over a month now and have truly enjoyed every minute of it. The program challenges me on many levels while learning from those around me, through students, mentors and advisors. You really feel a sense of accomplish after going through each checkpoint and those checkpoints then carry you on each step to build those skills, understanding of design, prepare you for the future and provide you with opportunities beyond and give you the confidence. Love my mentor she is absolutely great and has helped me from day 1, we meet weekly. Great people here, highly recommend this program at any stage in your career.

• Livia I  User Photo
    Livia I • Student Verified via GitHub

I majored in Finance and was working in Finance for a couple of years with ZERO experience in coding. I realized that I need to move to a different direction. I want to work in the Web Development field because I love problem solving, the challenge, and I can be creative on my technical skills! I was rigorously researching for bootcamp programs that's best suited for me and that's when I stumbled upon Bloc. What makes Bloc different than any other Bootcamps is that you can still keep your full time job while on the program. Right now, I'm at 50% of the curriculum and learned so much already. It is very fast paced and challenging. You have to put in the time, work hard and don't give up if you're stuck. Bloc provides the tools and teach the materials that you will be seeing in a real work environment. The mentors are great and very flexible. If you are stuck on the exercises or have general questions about the material, the technical support team on Slack responds within minutes. Bloc also provides different online group sessions. If you have zero experience in coding and want to pursue this field, definitely try Bloc. Put the time and your maximum effort! :)

• Excellent Program!
    - 3/28/2018
    Garrett • Salesforce Administrator • Student

I am currently finishing the Bloc Web Development track this week.

My experience through the entire program has been extremely positive, and I will say up front that Bloc's mentorship program was the reason and I started and the reason I was able to be successful. Learning to program is extremely difficult, and sometimes seems downright impossible, but having an experienced developer to help guide you through those difficult moments is quintessential to the learning process. WIth this said, there is a mutual expectation that you will do the hard work, and ask for guidance when needed.

While I was not using this program for a career change, I can tell you that there are many excercises throughout the curriculum that help prepare you and get you confident for your interviews. The assessments (Bloc's 'test' more or less) at the end of each module are done in an interview style, and after each assessment you receive the recording of the session to go over with your mentor.

The curriculum is well balanced between front end and back end programming, and teaching you the fundamentals you need to be successful. It's constantly changing and being updated as you go, and having access to the roadmap even after you complete the course is a great addition. With this said, I would recommend checking in with your mentor regularly regarding your roadmap, especially if your start date and enroll date are spaced out. There were a few times that I ended up doing older modules without realizing, only to find out new ones were available (and the new ones were much better).

For anyone looking to to learn about Web Development, I would absolutely recommend Bloc. The mentors, students, and Career Services team are all very enthusiastic about helping you achieve your goals.

• Rico Pananganan  User Photo
    Rico Pananganan • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm currently enrolled in Bloc's Designer Track and have been going at it almost full-time since starting it 6-weeks ago. I'll say this... I've first started teaching myself how to code (on and off) for the past year before deciding to double down and take it seriously. I've researched a bunch of coding bootcamps and narrowed it down to a finalist panel of two - Bloc and #@$ (don't want to name drop because each choice or selection is different from one prospective student to another). I chose Bloc. And I'm glad I did.

The one item that really differentiated itself from the competition was the mentorship benefit, which I take it to be more of an apprenticeship style. Having those one-to-one meetings are really beneficial (in my opinion) as you can pick their brain about the various projects you are undertaking; these mentors have been in your shoes before and the information they share is invaluable, not to mention, they hold you accountable for the work set before you and push your limits.

Bloc is really invested in its students' success throughout the program. I make it a habit of reading through a handful of conversations in the student Slack channel and what goes on there is really motivating. I see a number of current students helping each other push through the projects, not to mention alumni jumping in to assist as well. It's as if the Bloc Community has taken on a culture of its own - no developer gets left behind

I'm really excited and optimistic about this journey with Bloc and cannot wait to pay it forward.

• So far so good!
    - 3/26/2018
    Evan Medeiros • Student

So far I've been enjoying my experience in the Web Developer track with Bloc. What's great about it is that they give you just enough in curriculum to get an idea of how it's done, but not enough to just blow through the homework. You really do have to stretch those research and google muscles. The Slack channel is full of helpful folks in your same position, more than happy to help you out. Also, having a mentor meeting once a week has been great when there are those moments that you just can't wrap your mind around a concept. Plus, if you're in the middle of a project and can't seem to get a concept right, they respond to queries very quickly.

If affordabilty is an issue, one of the reasons I chose Bloc was their partnership with Skillsfund. In the past, development "bootcamps" have been really only for a select few people who could afford the high price tag, and kind of felt like a club you had to buy your way in to, and only those who could afford it need apply. I can't thank Bloc enough for that partnership. Without it, having a single income family and a child with special needs, I would have never been able to foot the bill.

Overall, I highly reccomend it. You will only benefit from your experience.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here