alchemy-logo

Alchemy

Online, Portland

Alchemy

Alchemy offers a full-time, 25-week professional software development course live online. Alchemy is an innovation-driven code school where students learn from industry-experienced instructors. Daily interaction with senior developers means that students graduate proficient in the most in-demand tech stacks at a professional level including HTML, CSS, JavaScript, NodeJS, ExpressJS, Postgres SQL, Jest, and the React ecosystem, while also having the skills and mindset to move comfortably into new technologies. Students graduate with the skills vital to becoming a valuable part of a professional engineering team, including problem-solving, remote collaboration, emotional intelligence, and interpersonal communication.

Alchemy also integrates career development services for all students, and graduates earn an average starting salary of $80,000 and mid-level career placements (not internships or entry-level). The Alchemy team works closely with each student to create their own authentic, effective approach to career development. Career development support is provided to all students and alumni, both in the classroom and in one-on-one coaching, both during and after the program. Alchemy also collaborates with experts and organizations that are powering the tech community in Portland and beyond, providing students insider access to the industry.

Alchemy was formerly known as Alchemy Code Lab

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript
    OnlineFull Time30 Hours/week1 Week
    Start Date May 02, 2022
    LocationOnline, Portland
    Developer 101 is 30+ hours of interactive training - definitely not a fluff preview or a DIY online course. This is a full week of full throttle developer school with full day sessions and live instructors showing you how it’s done. Why? It’s the best way to find out if coding is the career for you and if Alchemy can help you get there. In just one week, you’ll... - Experience how you can use HTML, CSS and JavaScript to solve problems like a software developer. - Experience Alchemy’s live, interactive, connected online classroom style. - Work with senior software developers and code-curious peers. - Hear from Alchemy alumni about how their transition to a career in software development has positively impacted their lives. - Gain familiarity and comfort with remote work, which is here to stay. - Get professional developer grade tools set up on your computer and understand how those tools relate to doing web development.
    This is a free class!
    Tuition Plansn/a
    Refund / Guaranteen/a
    Scholarshipn/a
    Minimum Skill LevelBeginner, self taught, CS degree new graduates
    Prep WorkRequires pre-work (a few assignments you complete before the first class; provided after registration)
    May 02, 2022 - Online Apply by April 29, 2022
    June 13, 2022 - Online Apply by June 10, 2022
    August 01, 2022 - Online Apply by July 29, 2022
  • (online, live) Professional Software Development Program in Full Stack JavaScript with Comprehensive Career Services

Start Date February 28, 2022
    LocationOnline, Portland
    Great tech careers start with strong trajectories. That's why Alchemy's program was designed by and is taught by our instructional team of senior developers. You'll learn in a hands-on, iterative progression that simulates what will be expected of you as a professional software developer. This training is live, online, and full-time. This intensive approach launches grads toward exponential opportunity and salary growth. Whether you've never looked at code or have already completed a bootcamp or online course, Alchemy graduates emerge as industry-ready software developers after 25 weeks of rigorous training from industry-experienced staff. In our novel approach to software development education, lessons are organized around a series of learning objectives—clear statements of what you will be able to do—and a combination of deliverables you progressively complete, fix, build from scratch, and improve. By avoiding limited tutorials, sandboxes, or pre-recorded videos, you'll be able to quickly connect concepts to application, ask questions, and apply what you learn to real software development applications outside the classroom (where it matters). Alongside learning these specific technologies, you'll develop the problem-solving skills, and technical design and architecture thinking that you'll need as a professional software developer. Career support is integrated from day one so that every student is fully supported in planning and achieving their career and job obtainment goals. Graduates of our program move directly into rewarding careers as full time software developers without the need for an internship, unlike junior developers from typical code bootcamps. Languages and tooling you'll learn in this course include: FRONT END: React, React hooks, Redux, React Router, Webpack, Jest, Mock Service Worker (MSW), HTML, CSS, - Browser/DOM, WebSockets BACK END: Node.js, npm, Express, Jest, SQL, Postgres, Supabase, JWT, OAuth, WebSockets TOOLING / DEPLOYMENT: VSCode, git, GitHub, Postman, BeeKeeper Studio, Heroku, Netlify
    1 Self Funding in advance or installments
    2 Veteran Benefits: Utilize Veteran benefits to cover up to 100% of tuition
    3 Financing through Alchemy loan partner: Climb Credit
    4 Scholarships: Apply for our diversity based tuition scholarships
    5 Income Share Agreement (ISA): Start payments after you're hired with an ISA through Social Finance, a non-profit dedicated to social impact.
    Tuition PlansInstallments, ISA, GI Bill, and private lending
    Refund / GuaranteePro-rated per the State of Oregon's recommended refund schedule
    ScholarshipMultiple diversity scholarships available! Kindly inquire with admissions.
    Minimum Skill LevelBeginner or junior developer
    Prep WorkFree Dev101 to start. Git, JavaScript, HTML and CSS online tutorials required prior to starting the program.
    February 28, 2022 - Online Apply by February 21, 2022
    April 18, 2022 - Online Apply by April 08, 2022
    May 31, 2022 - Online Apply by May 20, 2022
    July 18, 2022 - Online Apply by July 08, 2022
    September 06, 2022 - Online Apply by August 26, 2022
    October 24, 2022 - Online Apply by October 14, 2022
    January 02, 2023 - Online Apply by December 16, 2022
  • Claire Follett • Web Developer • Graduate

I graduated from Alchemy Code Lab in March of 2017. I can say with great confidence that going through the program at Alchemy was one of the best life decisions I have ever made. Marty and Megan strive every day to make it the top bootcamp in Portland with continuous encouragement and support. They always stay on top of the trending frameworks/texhnologies and it is seen through out the whole entire curriculum. If you are considering a code school in the Portland Metro-Area and are on the fence about which one to choose, I highly suggest you check out Alchemy Code Lab.

I graduated when I was only 20 years old with no experience in the software industry and I am now a web developer full time at an awesome company. And I would not be here without Alchemy.

• Stephanie F. • Software Developer • Graduate

I went through the entire Full-Stack JavaScript certificate program at Alchemy Code Lab (formerly Code Fellows PDX)—meaning bootcamp prep, bootcamp parts 1 and 2, and the advanced career track (these had different names when I went through, but the curriculum is the same. I’m using the new names for clarity going forward).

Students in my cohort came into this program from all walks of life. Some already had CS degrees or had worked in the past as software engineers but then had a resume gap and wanted to get up to speed on newer technologies. Others had absolutely no exposure to technology development or didn’t have any school after High School and were committed to a career change. I was always interested in math and loved science, but for some reason computer science always seemed mysterious and off-limits to me. I only took a couple of courses in programming basics when I got my bachelors degree, but I didn’t really consider learning to program until I had to for my last job. Then I fell in love with it and started considering changing my career.

I checked out all of the bootcamps and coding programs in Portland and settled on Alchemy Code Lab for several reasons:
    • There was a higher ratio of women and other minority groups in tech representation. It meant a lot to me to be learning in a more diverse environment. I believe this is due to the diversity scholarship program and other initiatives they pursue toward bringing in those less represented in tech.
    • I was looking for a full-time, intense experience that I could complete in 5-6 months.
    • Related to the above: I wanted to go deep on one language so that I could understand the ins and outs of it before moving on to another language. Because of that, I went with the full-stack JavaScript certificate program.
    • The environment was welcoming and professional. In class and during labs, I felt that my background, interests, and contributions were respected and appreciated. The owners of the school work hard to create an environment that works for the students as they go through the bootcamp process.
    • Students complete four large group projects if they do the whole program. This was important to me since I had spoken with several industry professionals who told me that when they consider less experienced hires they pay attention to evidence that they can work well in teams. This program let me have ample experience coding individually, pair programming, and working in teams of 3-4 to build working apps from start to finish.
    • Size of the classes. My cohort generally had 12 students (it varied somewhat between the courses), and it didn’t take long for us to become very close. In addition to the instructor, we had a TA that had been through the program.

That said, a coding bootcamp is an all-consuming experience. I met with several students, TAs, and alumni before I chose this program, and everyone told me that I would be working from 9am through 6pm every weekday, then doing more homework each night, and also working one or two days of most weekends. Somehow I still didn’t really believe them, but they were right. You will get out of this program whatever you put in. It is not cheap, even with scholarships, but it is worth that money if you go in committed to putting forth the effort.

Other thoughts:
    • I took the full-time version of the bootcamps, but I know plenty of students who took the night classes and loved having that option. They are also quite grueling, since the course length doubles and you give up one full weekend day for class/study for the length of those courses. It is an important option for those who can’t afford to quit their day job right away and dive into a career change. The advanced career track is always full-time, as far as I know.
    • The instructors collect feedback from students every week, with an anonymous section of the survey for comments you don’t want associated with you. Most of the time I didn’t have too much to say, but the couple of times I did, it was addressed right away. They are quite responsive to the feedback they get—the direction of the week can change on a dime (within reason) to include a general course interest or address a lack based on those comments.
    • They have a floating advisor/experienced pair-programmer who is there at certain times to help you on labs and projects. This was immeasurably useful, not just for the advice from a senior engineer, but also so that I could learn different ways of doing things from what the instructor might show.
    • The career services involved set times to work on resumes and cover letters, have presentations from industry leaders and recruiters on breaking into the Portland Tech job market, networking, and all things job hunt-related. There is no internship associated with this program, but on the other hand, most of the graduates I spoke with (who went all the way through the advanced career track) landed a job that was above internship or junior-developer level. Interviewing, white boarding, and algorithms practice is also part of the advanced career track curriculum, which I felt was pretty important practice. There is also a new consultancy practice that they are starting with some of the alumni, which is kind of like an in-house internship on lower price tag projects, as far as I know.
    • Since I had some experience with HTML and CSS (and C#, but I didn’t think that would apply) beforehand, I considered skipping the first bootcamp level and testing into the second bootcamp. I didn’t end up doing that and instead took the full set of courses from start to finish. There were a couple students in my cohort who did that at either the second bootcamp or the career track level. Though there were some things we had learned by then that those students weren’t really familiar with, they caught on fairly quickly. In any case, I was glad I had gone through the whole program.
    • The school is really involved in the Portland tech scene—they host regular events like DonutJS and the Women Who Code Algorithms study night, and then other sporadic events. It makes it easy to stay a little later at the school and then attend an event and practice networking.
    • When I went through the program, Full-Stack JavaScript was the only advanced career track, but I know they are adding two more in 2018—Devsigner and Python. There are also professional development courses, which I think are two or three week night classes.

There was definitely stress. Don’t go into a program like this thinking that it will be a cakewalk, because you are setting yourself up for disaster. Even coming in with some prior knowledge of HTML, CSS, and C#, there were times I was struggling to get through and topics that were harder for me to understand. It seemed that everyone in my cohort struggled at different times throughout the courses, so it was really important that we could rely on each other for help in understanding.

So where am I after all of this? I didn’t find a job right off the bat, but I was lucky not to have the financial pressure that would require me to get one immediately. Still, it has been less than three months since I finished, and I have one offer on the table and other jobs for which I am in various stages of the application pipeline. It is a different kind of stress, but a good position to be in. They are all regular, full-time positions with the title Software Developer or Software Engineer.
  • Chris Wallace • Mobile engineer • Graduate

My experience with alchemy code lab was nothing short of awesome. Their curriculum is intense and if your a new comer to coding definitely learn some basics before going because they do move fast. The instructors are very experienced and know any question you can throw at them. I got a job shortly after graduating and have nothing but thanks to them for preparing me to succeed.  —Chris

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

Alchemy Code Lab was a unique expierence. Like any bootcamp it requires a lot of dedication, late hours, and persistance. The courseload is heavy and you will need to be accountable otherwise you will struggle. This bootcamp is not for everyone. If you are truly interested in taking a deep dive into full stack web development this is the bootcamp for you.

I attended Alchemy Code Lab and completed the 401 Advanced JS course.  It was the best decision I could have made for my career.  I was offered a job in tech within one month of graduation....and my salary is higher than it's ever been!  I know that finding jobs like the one I have now is what leads most people to coding bootcamps.  And while I am very grateful to ACL for positioning me to land such a job, the new career is not the most valuable reward that I received from ACL.

By far, the greatest benefits of choosing ACL over other bootcamps in PDX are the top notch education and unwavering support that students receive.  This is a code school that values community and goes to great lengths to support students.  And the support does not stop at graduation.  Just last week I received an email from a career specialist at ACL who wanted to share some new job opportunities with me.  Alchemy Code Labs goes above and beyond to help students meet their career goals.

Additionally, the education that you will receive at Alchemy Code Lab is unparalleled in PDX.  I recently attended a meet up where four of us in a group were all recent bootcamp grads (one from Epicodus, one from PDX Code Guild, and one from the Tech Academy).  We all swapped bootcamp stories.  The other boot campers were pretty envious when I started explaining what it was like to be a student at Alchemy Code Lab.  They were envious because of the community support and the school's commitment to equity and diversity in tech.  They were also struck by the deep knowledge and thorough skillset that ACL students possess. ACL provides a solid foundation of basic CS principles and plenty of white-boarding practice....I learned that these are lessons you will not receive at other bootcamps.  These are skills that set ACL grads apart from other bootcamp grads.  It may require a little more up front investment, but I can tell you, first hand, if you're serious about a career in tech, investing in training at ACL is well worth it.

In fact, one of the boot campers from the meet up remarked, "I discounted ACL because of the price tag.  I wish I had understood that what ACL was offering was a higher level experience than my bootcamp.  I'd probably have a job right now."

If you're on the fence about code schools in PDX, yes, ACL is more expensive....but if you're looking to be career ready and grab the higher paying jobs after graduation, ACL has every other school in town beat.

NOTE: Coding bootcamps are super intense no matter which one you choose.  Buckle up.  It's worth the ride!

Alchemy Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Alchemy, 91% graduated. 94% of graduates were job-seeking and 96% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $80,000. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 45 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

View full data on all students & years at AlchemyCodeLab.com.

Important differentiators from typical bootcamp data:
  • All students receive career services support, even after 180 days
  • People are only excluded from data if they explicitly tell us they are not seeking a job