alchemy-code-lab-logo

Alchemy Code Lab

Online, Portland

Alchemy Code Lab

Alchemy Code Lab offers a full-time, 21-week course in Full Stack JavaScript both in-person in Portland, Oregon and live online. Alchemy Code Lab is an innovation-driven code school where students will engage in an advanced curriculum under the guidance of a team of industry-experienced instructors. The coding bootcamp covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, JQuery, SQL, and more, and includes a free, 30-hour interactive prep week taught by senior developers. Alchemy aims to ensure their course offerings evolve and expand alongside innovations in software development, to allow students to hit the ground running with the most current toolsets in the field. Alchemy instructors don't want to just teach “getting it to work.” Instead, they aim to encourage the practice of writing quality code that can be sustained and maintained now, and by developers down the road. The team at Alchemy endeavors to live what they teach, and supports each other in passion projects and creative pursuits. The bootcamp strives to generate real opportunity for the next generation of professional developers to drive Portland's creative future.

The application process involves a long-form questionnaire detailing the applicant's work, educational background, and coding experience, along with informational and technical interviews. Students must complete 25+ hours of bootcamp prep before class starts.

Alchemy Code Lab seeks to collaborate with the experts and organizations that are powering Portland’s tech community, providing insider access to the industry. Career development support is provided to all students and alumni, both in the classroom and in one-on-one coaching. Students will establish a compelling online brand, network, and resume featuring professional knowledge, experience, and practices gained during the course, and will be able to demonstrate the skills to drive a successful job search.

Alchemy Code Lab (formerly Code Fellows PDX) is powered by Code Fellows.

Recent Alchemy Code Lab Reviews: Rating 4.97

all (38) reviews for Alchemy Code Lab →

Recent Alchemy Code Lab News

• (free, online-live) DEVELOPER 101

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS
      OnlineFull Time30 Hours/week1 Week
      Start Date August 31, 2020
      LocationPortland
      Developer 101 is 30+ hours of interactive training - definitely not a fluff preview or a DIY online course. This is a full week of full throttle developer school with full day sessions and live instructors showing you how it’s done. Why? It’s the best way to find out if coding is the career for you and if Alchemy can help you get there. In just one week, you’ll... Experience how you can use HTML, CSS and JavaScript to solve problems like a software developer Experience Alchemy’s live, interactive, connected online classroom style Work with senior software developers and code-curious peers Hear from Alchemy alumni about how their transition to a career in software development has positively impacted their lives Gain familiarity and comfort with remote work, which is here to stay Get professional developer grade tools set up on your computer and understand how those tools relate to doing web development
      This is a free class; n/a
      Tuition Plansn/a
      Refund / Guaranteen/a
      Scholarshipn/a
      Minimum Skill LevelBeginner, self taught, CS degree new graduates
      Prep WorkRequires pre-work (provided after registration)
      August 31, 2020 - Portland Apply by August 27, 2020
    • (online-live) Professional Software Development Program in Full Stack JavaScript with Comprehensive Career Services

Start Date September 21, 2020
      LocationPortland
      Online-Live training, Excellent curriculum, and all day access to expert instruction and your cohort. Great tech careers start with strong trajectories. Alchemy's professional software development training program launches grads toward exponential opportunity and salary growth. Whether you've never looked at code or have already completed a bootcamp or online course prior, Alchemy graduates emerge as industry-ready software developers after 6 months of rigorous, in-person training from industry-experienced Senior Development instruction.
      Income Share Agreement (ISA), and
      Private lending:
      Tuition PlansInstallments, ISA, GI Bill, and private lending
      Refund / Guaranteepro-rated per the State of Oregon's recommended refund schedule
      ScholarshipMultiple diversity scholarships available! Kindly inquire with admissions.
      Minimum Skill LevelBeginner or junior developer
      Prep WorkFree Dev101 to start. Git, JavaScript, HTML and CSS online Tutorials required prior.
      September 21, 2020 - Portland Apply by August 20, 2020
      January 4, 2021 - Portland Apply by December 4, 2020

• Dirt Deodara  User Photo
      Dirt Deodara • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I couldn't recommend Alchemy more.
      I came in with zero coding experience and I had a rough, but rewarding time. It's a very challenging course that really encourages the students to grow as much as they are able to. It was scary and overwhelming for me to risk so much on an unknown, but the tightly knit crew of faculty were always willing to hold space, offer support, and help keep my head above water. With their help, and that of the greater Alchemy community, I was able to emerge after 6 months as a competent developer with a relevant tech stack in my toolbox. Then, with help from their amazing Career Services Director, Shannon Rasimas, I was able to land an internship and then a fantastic fulltime role as a Software Engineer.
      The teaching staff is extremely knowledgable, compassionate, and up to date with the modern state of development. Alchemy truly cares about the success of their students and they work very hard to cultivate a strong community that helps connect all students and alumni into a network of mutual support.
      Again, I couldn't recommend Alchemy more.

• Chris Ficht  User Photo
      Chris Ficht • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Prior to my enrollment at Alchemy Code Lab, transitioning to a career in software development was something I had been considering for quite some time. Having spent over a decade as a working musician provided very little stability, both in terms of income and time, for my family and I was ready for a new direction in life. Following a lengthy discussion with the Director of Development for a successful local business and spending some time evaluating a number of schools across the country, I made the decision to attend Alchemy Code Lab and I am so glad I did.

The curriculum is centered around the programming language, JavaScript, and the current frameworks, libraries, and practices that are used with it. The courses are as tough as they should be, but the instructors and teaching assistants do a phenomenal job of ensuring that you understand the material and the ways in which you can use it. They also make sure you are well prepared to independently continue your education, a necessary skill in the continuously evolving world of technology.

Alchemy’s incredibly personable staff ensure that you’re confident and ready to begin your new career, not only as a programmer but also as a tech professional thanks to the provision of career services that start right as your studies begin and continue well after you’ve completed the program.

If you are considering making the transition to a career in software development, I can assure you there is no better choice for making the change than Alchemy.
    • Mike Grace  User Photo
      Mike Grace • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Attending this school was the best decision of my life.  I had just gotten back from a 7 month bike tour through Europe and had been working in Ohio for a few months before making the decision to apply to Alchemy.  I moved here about a week before the course began and didn't know anybody in Portland, but the program changed that quickly.  I made some great friends!  My cohort was filled with exceptional people from diverse backgrounds. One of the best parts of the experience for me was to be able to see how my classmates would approach a particular problem completely differently than me, but with the end result being the same.  This really helped with my understanding of coding in general. Also, the staff at this school genuinely cares about the students.  The owners are some of the best people you'll meet and not only care about your career success, but also make a huge effort to be sure everyone feels as comfortable and happy as possible while going through one the most hectic times they'll face.  Career services is also amazing!  You are really given direction that will help you succeed not only throughout the program, but afterwards as well.  One thing that really stands out was when I thought I had created a good resume.  I was told to give it another go and I'm happy I was told that because it looks soooo much better :).  The TAs are great as well and will always have your back when you're struggling.  Lastly, the instructors are extremely knowledgeable and really patient, kind people.  I'm gonna miss them!

Beyond the people, the curriculum at this school is wonderful.  Everything you learn will be what is in the highest demand at the time you attend.  I feel that the knowledge we received at Alchemy is greater than that of other schools.  My roommate attended a different bootcamp and said that he was impressed by all that we had learned and that he felt I was at an advantage for having chosen Alchemy.

As for the cons, they are hard to come by.  All I can really say is that if you choose this program, be prepared because it is definitely not easy, but if you're ready to put the work in then I don't think you can make a better choice.
    • Software Engineer
      - 7/10/2020
      Abbey Masters  User Photo
      Abbey Masters • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Prior to starting at Alchemy Code Lab, I investigated many bootcamps in LA and then in Portland after moving here. None felt right until I stepped into Alchemy and had an interview. One of the main reasons I chose Alchemy was the length of the course (6 months compared to a lot of 3 month programs) which I believe allowed for a much broader range of concepts to be taught that would enable me to quickly jump in to a job after graduation. The other was that from stepping through Alchemy's doors, you can tell that it's a community of inclusion. Everyone is incredible and wants to see you succeed in the tech world, and that's priceless. From incredible instructors, to career coaching and resume building—you truly get the full experience at Alchemy. After graduation, I joined Alchemy as a TA for the next cohort where I continued to build more confidence in talking about code, debugging code, and helping transition to virtual education through COVID. This experience was so meaningful and integral to me pursuing job opportunities post TAing. I was able to sign a job offer one month after finishing TAing at Alchemy.
    • Alex Ramirez de Cruz  User Photo
      Alex Ramirez de Cruz • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I researched very diligently when I decided to make this career change, and Alchemy was at the top of my list not only for their in depth program and their ability to remain agile and add to the curriculum as trends in technology change, but also for the diversity. They had the most diversity of  methods (pair programming, mob programming, TA assistance, teachers, singular study, reading, lab projects, sprint projects, etc), but as a gay woman of color they were able to cultivate the most diverse room of humans to learn along side of. They also made the program more accessible to me through their offering of scholarships. On top of that, they allowed plenty of room for me to advocate for what I needed and took the time to get to know me individually and what my goals were so they could push me toward them and tailor their support of me.
      After completing their full-stack program, (with ZERO technical or computer knowledge previously), I was able to land a dream job as a software developer just two months after my graduation.
      Alchemy gave me such a gift and I enjoyed my time there so much that I frequently return to catch up with teachers, talk with new students, and make myself available to meet with students who are considering the program or wanting some support while in the program. And I am only one alum that is part of a larger network who does the same. If that doesn't speak to the lasting community they are building, I don't know what does.
    • Easton Gorishek  User Photo
      Easton Gorishek • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I joined Alchemy Code Lab with no prior programming experience and no undergraduate. I was sort of the free spirit type who travelled and held various types of jobs. I mention this because it does not matter what your background is - if you commit and dedicate yourself to this program it will provide the knowledge and skillset needed to obtain a fulfilling career in software development in a relatively short period of time. I've done it and have watched several others do the same.

The school provides an excellent learning environment and an amazing community. It's open, bright, filled with plants, offers a variety of sitting arrangements, and located in a cool location. Beyond the facility you'll be surrounded with an amazing team that is passionate, knowledgable, kind, and there to provide the education and resources needed to reach your goal of becoming a software developer. Within the six months you'll go from not knowing how to open your terminal to writing full-fledged full-stack web applications that incorporate frameworks, component architecture, testing, servers, databases, and APIs. I can personally state that you'll leave with the skillset to contribute day one on the job, and have a solid foundation to continually build upon. Not only will you leave with the ability to build web applications, but you'll receive invaluable insight and resources on how to market yourself, network, and interview.

Lastly - I'll mention, for your success, it's important you are in a situation you can fully commit to the time obligations and are mentally in a place where you want to change your life, be challenged, continuously learn, and solve puzzles. The program moves quick and you'll most likely experience highs and lows. That being said - it's DOABLE and well worth the grind. Alchemy Code Lab has helped many lives (mine included) accelerate in obtaining rewarding careers in tech - now it's time they help accelerate yours. Best of luck!

• Jack McConnell  User Photo
      Jack McConnell • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

My experience might be a bit different from some others who traditionally come through Alchemy Code Lab’s program. I had recently graduated with a B.S. in Computer Science when I had to take some time off from programming in order to focus on a health issue. Once I had gotten that sorted out, I decided I wanted to move out West in order to expand my job prospects in the tech industry. I found out about Alchemy after doing some research on programs in the area where I could take some time to refresh my skills as well as learn some things I had never been exposed to in college. I really liked how Alchemy structured their curriculum by focusing on full-stack JavaScript and a lot of project work. After interviewing with Alchemy and doing some more research I decided that they were going to be the best fit for me.

Even with a programming background, I was encouraged to start from the beginning with Alchemy’s curriculum and I’m glad I listened. Within the first week of the program I was already being introduced to test driven development, which was something that hadn’t been touched on in college and ended up being really valuable to use and talk about during interviews. Trying to pick up concepts like that while being introduced to something like Node or React would have been quite a bit more difficult than while we were learning the basics of JS. The instructional staff is really great. Alchemy has some very experienced industry professionals teaching, who are super passionate about the students. One of the most valuable parts about Alchemy Code Lab was the amount of time spent working on projects with your peers. Building projects is one of the best ways I learn things and I was often able to draw on my experiences working with my peers during interviews.

Alchemy also provides a lot of non technical opportunities and education as well. During the Career Track, there is a Career Week where the students learn all about the job hunt from industry professionals who are often graduates of the program. From the beginning students are heavily encouraged to explore the tech meetups in Portland to grow their network. Alchemy does a lot to help with this by hosting tech meetups in their space after class is over. They also host monthly socials for current students, graduates and employers in the area. Talking with other engineers about their experience was really valuable for me and only made the job search and interview process easier. Alchemy was able to do a lot for me during my job hunt from scheduling mock interviews, to introducing me to hiring managers or recent graduates to network with.

I just recently accepted an offer as an Associate Software Engineer a few months after graduating and if I could go back in time, I would still make the same decision to attend Alchemy Code Lab. I learned a lot of really valuable things and made great connections with some wonderful people.

• Software Engineer
      - 12/13/2019
      Mark Greenwood  User Photo
      Mark Greenwood • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

When I transitioned into software development I evaluated several code schools available in Portland, and chose Alchemy. It was definitely the right choice for me, and the best thing I've done for my career satisfaction.

I talked with people at Alchemy (Code Fellows PDX at the time) early on, and had a really good feeling about it. But I wanted to understand what I would get for the somewhat higher cost than other options. I already had a strong technical background and programming experience, but no web development. Self-study was not a problem for me, but the field was so wide open that deciding what to focus on was problematic. Here's why I feel Alchemy stood out above the rest:

First, Alchemy provides instruction (in addition to lab and project work) from industry-experienced developers. While self-study and learning from peers are great things to do, experienced developers have valuable knowledge to share. For example, one thing prospective employers are often concerned about is the ability to write not just code that works, but code that's suitable for production in a large-scale application. It's very beneficial to have coaching from someone who's been on enough projects to impart that knowledge and wisdom.

Second, Alchemy focuses on full-stack JavaScript development, not a broad overview of technologies. While most developers will learn multiple stacks in their careers, they can learn best by getting a good foundation with the whole process in one stack and then later applying that knowledge to others. The focus on Node, React, etc. enabled me to be immediately productive in both jobs I've had since graduating, even though I've learned other stacks since then.

Third, your time at Alchemy will be split between classroom instruction, lab work, and group projects. The labs and projects are great opportunities to work collaboratively on a codebase, and the skills (technical as well as interpersonal) to do that are critical on real software development teams.

Finally, Alchemy provides guidance and assistance not just with technical education, but also with the whole process of finding opportunities and managing your development career. The decent-sized cohorts provide a great "starter network" of people who are or will be working in the software community in Portland. And Alchemy provides guidance on interview preparation, the tools for the job search, and how to deal with the offers you receive.

While the job search is always a potentially stressful experience, I can attest to Alchemy's placement track record. This is a field with very high demand, and graduates are certainly finding work that pays quite well. I've continued to be involved with Alchemy's students - networking, mock interviewing, mentoring - and they are certainly well-prepared to venture out into the industry and make their valuable contributions.

• Bobby Thompson  User Photo
      Bobby Thompson • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Alchemy bills itself as the toughest bootcamp in Portland, and it certianly lives up to that expectation. If you are interested in getting a great start in tech and you are willing to work for it, this is your place. Staff are super helpful, community is great, and the curriculum is rigorous. Highly recommend!

• Henrique Oliveira  User Photo
      Henrique Oliveira • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I decided to pursue programming as a career because I lacked mental stimulation and the ability to make an impact in my day to day job. I researched all the bootcamps in the Portland area and it took one conversation with Megan, the school director to make my decision. The questions that were asked were so different than other schools and were focused around me and my learning style-- I knew this place was special. Alchemy's commitment to diversity and inclusion in making everyone feel welcomed despite your background was a huge indicator to me that this was the right place for me.

The curriculum was difficult and challenging, but no one's ever built a six pack by sitting on the couch. And this is the secret to Alchemy's success. The program does an excellent job by forcing you to become comfortable with being uncomfortable. It's a bootcamp in every facet of the word, constantly pushing you to learn and overcome. You have support available to you at every step of the way-- instructors, TAs, fellow classmates, adorable doggies, school director, and career services.

Oh yeah, career services. Shannon is a magician behind the scenes pulling strings to get you in the door and nail the interview. I've had two jobs post-graduation, and both interviews were secured because of-- you guessed it, Shannon.

If you have the opportunity to be a part of this wonderful family, don't hesitate. It was truly a special experience, one I only wish I could go through again.

• Susan Puckett  User Photo
      Susan Puckett • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Coming from a microbiology background in academia and transitioning to coding, I learned a ton of things at Alchemy that I didn’t learn in a traditional school setting or coding by myself online. For example, I learned how to code using agile practices with a variety of people in creative group projects with deadlines. I learned how to talk about code, not just to do it. I learned about the Portland tech scene and got a much better idea of how I fit into it. I learned to expand my network and push myself out of my comfort zone to make meaningful connections. Finally, I learned a ton about the job application process. Mock interviews and a week of career prep wasn’t easy or fun for me as an introvert, but it really helped prepare me for the job hunt.

Alchemy gave me the knowledge and confidence to get and perform well in job interviews. My Alchemy experience allowed me to have a much better idea of the salary I could ask for. Shannon was such a positive support throughout the process that I always felt someone had my back. Both Megan and Marty also provided invaluable support and advice even after I completed the program.

A huge plus was the Alchemy community. My fellow cohort (19 people total) was such an interesting and wonderful group of people from all different backgrounds and ages. A highlight of my experience was mob programming with them, in groups of 3-5. The TAs were graduates of the program and also provided emotional as well as instructional support.

It is a big money investment and there are times when you feel the collective struggles of the group and individuals. There are times when you may struggle a lot yourself. It’s not easy, and outsiders (like your friends and family) may not understand what you are going through. However, I found it to be a huge personal growth experience that has paid off. I just accepted a job offer (with higher salary than I have ever made before) this past week, and I am so excited to continue to code because I feel like I can actually contribute and excel at it.

• Noah Puckett  User Photo
      Noah Puckett • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This wasn't an easy ride, let me tell you! I had never set foot in a school before and Alchemy kicked my butt! It was really worthwhile, they supported me through my most difficult days and my "I don't understand, aaahhh!!!" moments, always pushing me to be the best I could be while understanding that sometimes I just needed a few words of encouragement to get me through to the other side of competency. I left with a community of peers, mentors, and friends, excellent technical competency, and the confidence to take on any challenges that come my way.

• Injoong Yoon  User Photo
      Injoong Yoon • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I attended Alchemy Code Lab from April 2018 to September 2018, taking the full course - Bootcamp Part 1, Bootcamp Part 2, and the fullstack JavaScript Career Track. We learned the basics of vanilla HTML/CSS/JavaScript, the fundamentals of component architecture, modern web application design patterns, and so much more. By the end of it, I could spin up a full-fledged web app (both frontend and backend), as well as be able to explain coding principles and what every line of code I'd written was doing.

The course itself is extremely rigorous and intense - more than fulltime, Monday thru Friday from 9am-6pm, and I often found myself doing additional work or studying after I came home. However, I can't imagine it working as well any other way, since you're learning an enormous amount of specialized and complicated skills in an extremely condensed timeframe. Knowing your own limits and taking care of yourself when you need to are key to succeeding in the program.

The people are wonderful. I was lucky enough to be in an amazing cohort and my peers were all extremely supportive of each other. Marty and Ryan were both great instructors, patient and helpful and able to explain the more difficult concepts well. Shannon, the career services director at the school, was vital in helping us stay connected to the larger tech community in town and make the connections necessary to get our foot in the door for job interviews. I was able to land a job at a software development firm roughly three months after I'd finished Alchemy, and I apply what I've learned from the program on a daily basis. I genuinely don't believe that I'd be where I am today without having attended Alchemy. The price is high (in terms of money, time, and work required) but I found it to be absolutely worth it.