alchemy-code-lab-logo

Alchemy Code Lab

Online, Portland

Alchemy Code Lab

Alchemy Code Lab offers a full-time, 21-week course in Full Stack JavaScript both in-person in Portland, Oregon and live online. Alchemy Code Lab is an innovation-driven code school where students will engage in an advanced curriculum under the guidance of a team of industry-experienced instructors. The coding bootcamp covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, JQuery, SQL, and more, and includes a free, 30-hour interactive prep week taught by senior developers. Alchemy aims to ensure their course offerings evolve and expand alongside innovations in software development, to allow students to hit the ground running with the most current toolsets in the field. Alchemy instructors don't want to just teach “getting it to work.” Instead, they aim to encourage the practice of writing quality code that can be sustained and maintained now, and by developers down the road. The team at Alchemy endeavors to live what they teach, and supports each other in passion projects and creative pursuits. The bootcamp strives to generate real opportunity for the next generation of professional developers to drive Portland's creative future.

The application process involves a long-form questionnaire detailing the applicant's work, educational background, and coding experience, along with informational and technical interviews. Students must complete 25+ hours of bootcamp prep before class starts.

Alchemy Code Lab seeks to collaborate with the experts and organizations that are powering Portland’s tech community, providing insider access to the industry. Career development support is provided to all students and alumni, both in the classroom and in one-on-one coaching. Students will establish a compelling online brand, network, and resume featuring professional knowledge, experience, and practices gained during the course, and will be able to demonstrate the skills to drive a successful job search.

Alchemy Code Lab (formerly Code Fellows PDX) is powered by Code Fellows.

Recent Alchemy Code Lab Reviews: Rating 4.96

all (50) reviews for Alchemy Code Lab →

Recent Alchemy Code Lab News

• (free, online-live) DEVELOPER 101

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS
      OnlineFull Time30 Hours/week1 Week
      LocationPortland
      Developer 101 is 30+ hours of interactive training - definitely not a fluff preview or a DIY online course. This is a full week of full throttle developer school with full day sessions and live instructors showing you how it’s done. Why? It’s the best way to find out if coding is the career for you and if Alchemy can help you get there. In just one week, you’ll... Experience how you can use HTML, CSS and JavaScript to solve problems like a software developer Experience Alchemy’s live, interactive, connected online classroom style Work with senior software developers and code-curious peers Hear from Alchemy alumni about how their transition to a career in software development has positively impacted their lives Gain familiarity and comfort with remote work, which is here to stay Get professional developer grade tools set up on your computer and understand how those tools relate to doing web development
      This is a free class; n/a
      Tuition Plansn/a
      Refund / Guaranteen/a
      Scholarshipn/a
      Minimum Skill LevelBeginner, self taught, CS degree new graduates
      Prep WorkRequires pre-work (provided after registration)
    • (online-live) Professional Software Development Program in Full Stack JavaScript with Comprehensive Career Services

Start Date January 4, 2021
      LocationPortland
      Online-Live training, Excellent curriculum, and all day access to expert instruction and your cohort. Great tech careers start with strong trajectories. Alchemy's professional software development training program launches grads toward exponential opportunity and salary growth. Whether you've never looked at code or have already completed a bootcamp or online course prior, Alchemy graduates emerge as industry-ready software developers after 6 months of rigorous, in-person training from industry-experienced Senior Development instruction.
      Full tuition available through our partner Skills Fund.
      Tuition PlansInstallments, ISA, GI Bill, and private lending
      Refund / Guaranteepro-rated per the State of Oregon's recommended refund schedule
      ScholarshipMultiple diversity scholarships available! Kindly inquire with admissions.
      Minimum Skill LevelBeginner or junior developer
      Prep WorkFree Dev101 to start. Git, JavaScript, HTML and CSS online Tutorials required prior.
      January 4, 2021 - Portland Apply by December 4, 2020
    • Dan Meloy • Software Engineer II • Graduate
      Alchemy is hands-down the best coding boot camp option in Portland. The owner and instructors are all seasoned and experienced software developers, and the TAs are prior students. This is awesome because the instructors are able to answer any questions you have, and the TAs have been through what you're going through so can relate and help you with the specific work as you need. The owner regularly meets with companies around Portland to learn about what technologies are currently in the highest demand, and adapts the curriculum accordingly, meaning that when you graduated you are equipped with the highest likelihood of getting hired. The program is in-person and full-time, so be sure you are ready for the intensity of it. It's a lot of work, but that's what you should be looking for if you want to attend a boot camp. The career services is the best around. Any boot camp that says they'll place you in a job after graduation is a sham. Alchemy doesn't guarantee you anything, that's on you, but what they do guarantee you is training in how to best help yourself get work through training in how to network, how to negotiate salaries, etc., which are the skills you'll be using for the rest of your life.

PROS: In-person, full-time, unbeatable community and career services, modern curriculum based on what is in demand.
      CONS: Most expensive boot camp option (though you get what you pay for)
    • Joe Klause • Software Engineer • Graduate
      Whichever other school you are considering you can stop. Alchemy has everything you are looking for. An incredibly in-depth program that takes you from knowing nothing (at least in my case) to being hire-able as a full stack software engineer in the MERN stack in less than six months! It's that simple. Super knowledgable and empathetic teaching staff, fantastic career services, and tons of networking opportunities. The best part is probably the group projects. Working with three to five other students to build... well, whatever it is you want to build. After four weeks of studying code, my team built a music interval trainer. After eight weeks, we built a Pokemon battle game. After 14 weeks we built a Maze generator. And our final project was a crypto-currency trader. It was one of the best educational experiences I ever had. So thankful to have done it, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    • Software Developer
      - 8/19/2020
      Kamran Ali • Software Developer • Graduate
      I decided to join Alchemy Code Lab because, after 4 years of restaurant work, I was fed up with getting people ranch all day. I had a friend take the course, and convince me to try it out. I am so incredibly happy I did, I didn't know how much my life would change after the fact, being in a new career path I love, the incredible community, and the friends made along the way. This program is fast paced, but it's crazy to see where you went in knowledge from just Monday to Monday, almost by osmosis. Teaching Assistants and staff are always around and helpful. The career services part of the program with, mock interviews, resume reviews, and job assistance, is also top notch! They even bring in past alumni who are all out in the wild and working. All in all, 10/10 experience and would do it all over again!
    • worth it
      - 8/14/2020
      Janelle • Graduate
      When I decided to go to code school, it became very clear to me that Alchemy's program was special and unlike any of the other programs that were being offered in Portland. I enrolled initially because of the robust career services support, the in-person learning with a small student/teacher ratio, the relevant and up to date curriculum, and the vibrant, open, and inclusive community. Although my cohort went fully remote halfway through the program due to COVID, Alchemy coached us through the program with relative ease given the circumstances. I was glad that I had the first part of the program in person with my cohort to really build those relationships in-person first and was thankful that Alchemy takes their student's health and safety so seriously.

It is a very very hard program and I would only recommend it to folks who know they are serious about this as a career. However, for those that are ready to put in the work and be humbled in the process, this program is hard to beat. Ryan has a gift for explaining very difficult concepts and will really amplify your learning and Shannon is such a champion for Alchemy folks! The community you are welcomed into is incredible and really uplifts and supports each other not only during the program but ongoing.
    • Yuval Allweil • Front End Developer • Graduate
      I attended Alchemy Code Lab and had a phenomenal experience. The teachers are passionate and excellent at explaining difficult concepts, the staff is friendly, and the career services assistance you get is first-rate. Their curriculum is constantly iterated to better teach the material, and they make sure to cover the most in-demand technologies like React in depth.
      In the year since I graduated I have helped build a Yelp competitor app for a local startup, coded A/B tests for one of the nation's premier digital marketing agencies, and am now making well over six figures at my current job as a front end developer at a Fortune 20 company.

The support I got from Alchemy's staff was absolutely integral to my success. They helped me get all three of the jobs previously mentioned, and went out of their way to ensure that I would be working jobs I loved -- not just any job. The school is invested in every single student because they understand that a happy and successful coder is the best advertising they can get.
      I moved from San Francisco (a place full of top-notch coding bootcamps) to Portland specifically to attend Alchemy Code Lab, and it was the best decision of my life. It is hands-down the most inspiring place I've been: the level of positivity and you-can-do-this attitude is practically palpable.

On top of that, they have a beautiful and sunny campus that is filled with happy plants and delicious snacks, and is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Portland, right across the street from the world-famous Powell's Books.

I have met many graduates from other bootcamps in Portland and can confidently assert that Alchemy's training is by far the best in the city, a fact I also heard repeated in several of my interviews.

If you want to ensure your success as a developer, you should attend Alchemy Code Lab.
    • Tyler Corbett • Front End Software Engineer • Graduate
      I've attended regular college in the past but Alchemy takes education to a whole new level.
      In just 6 months I went from someone who knew next to nothing about software to having in depth conversations with industry veterans.
      I was taught by Marty Nelson and Ryan Mehta. Both were some of the best teachers I’ve had in my life.
      I had the chance to work in Alchemy's, "App Lab" upon graduation. I worked with real clients on real projects on a daily basis. This made the interviewing process much smoother. I also picked up additional skills that weren't included in the standard curriculum - and got paid to do it.
      Not only that but I had help from their career counselor to help me get hired. Shannon doesn't just give you tips on your resume - she gets you interviews.
      I remember reading these reviews before considering joining the program just like you're doing. I would highly recommend the program to literally anyone.
    • Ian Andrewson • Software Engineer • Graduate
      This program is, quite simply, amazing. Having gone into the program with zero knowledge about web and software development, I finished the program feeling extremely competent. The courses are challenging and a lot of work, but all of the effort immensely pays off. While the program has you develop a wide breadth of very in-demand skills, they also teach you how to continue developing as a programmer after the program is finished. The teachers and staff are incredibly helpful, knowledgeable, and expert in their respective fields, and continue to support students after they graduate the program. The focus on career building in particular is what made me choose this program over others in the Portland area, and I have to say the career counseling alone makes this program worth it. I landed my first coding job within a month of the end of the program, and I have yet to come across a problem I couldn't find a solution to.  You will work very, very hard in this program but it is absolutely 100% worth it. I cannot recommend this program enough.
    • Elevate your life
      - 7/31/2020
      Cody Brown • Freelance Software Engineer • Graduate
      I, like most people, was in an unfulfilling dead-end boring monotonous career living paycheck to paycheck. My long time girlfriend and I were talking about getting married and I knew it was time for a career change if I was to support a growing family. I had interests in engineering and software development but didn't want to wait the 3-4 years for a degree, so eventually I settled on going to a code school/bootcamp. Between in-person (prior COVID) to remote, there are a ton to choose from. After months of reading reviews and blogs, talking to industry professionals, attending lectures, and touring different places...there really was no competition. Given the curriculum and resources available Alchemy Code Lab was going to give me best shot I could have for making my dreams a reality. There is no easy way to put it, the course is tough. You will drink from a firehose of knowledge and information. There will be times you want to quit cause you feel you can't do it. Just remember why you're there, reach out to your peers who are struggling just as much as you, and ask for help from the staff (They Will Always Help). Alchemy Code Lab doesn't just teach you how to code (don't worry, they do a great job at that); they teach you how to learn and grow in the tech world, how to research a problem effectively, how to find new technologies to implement, how to bug fix, how to test, how to learn new languages, how to ask the right questions, how to network, how to interview in the tech world (much different than the trades)...they show you how to take anything imaginable, and make it real (week long team sprints are a game changer). I started the program in January and completed it in June. Since graduating I have participated in two major hackathons (Techlandia working with BLE relays and AWS where my team took 3rd place) working with languages and frameworks I never learned in Alchemy, but regardless I was able to pick up things up pretty quick; and I accredit it all to Alchemy. If you're considering going to Alchemy Code Lab, just do it. It's worth it.
    • Danny Suarez • Graduate
      I attended a local community college a few years prior to attending Alchemy Code Lab. The curriculum at the community college was behind what was being used out in the 'real world' and it was a pretty boring experience. Once I heard about Alchemy I did my research and met with the staff, after meeting Megan and Shannon I went home and immediately filled out my application.

The program has great instructional staff with years of industry experience who are able to explain difficult concepts in an a way that will make sense to anyone just starting out. Shannon, the career services director, is a huge asset to this school and is always hustling to ensure students feel ready to land their first engineering roles. She is available for students during the program and will continue to work with you after completing the program.

Alchemy Code Lab is truly a full stack bootcamp that will prepare you for your first developer role. You will learn some of the latest tech being used in the industry, make great connections, and have some amazing portfolio pieces to show off.
    • Jenna Goldman • Software Engineer • Graduate
      I have dreamed of becoming a software engineer for a long time. Over the years, I've tried numerous ways of making that happen - video tutorials, self-paced online courses, part-time in-person classes, etc. Ultimately, I decided what I needed in order to be successful was a full-time program that could provide both structure and accountability. While researching programs based in Portland, it was pretty obvious that Alchemy was the superior option, but the cost was initially hard for me to accept.  Alchemy's message of turning out higher-quality developers that are able to earn a higher starting salary than graduates from other schools helped me to get over that initial shock, helped along further by their supporting documentation. This was enough to get me to schedule an in-person meeting with the admissions director, Megan. I was immediately impressed when walking into the school by the lively and collaborative environment, and Megan is easily one of the kindest individuals I've ever met. I decided to take a leap of faith, and applied right after my meeting.

My time in the program was challenging, fun, and pushed me to grow every single day.  The curriculum is centered around popular JavaScript-based frameworks that are used by a lot of companies, so you're very likely to find job roles that use at least some of the same. Alchemy's instructors and teaching assistants were engaging, friendly, and willing to help whenever I needed it. The remote/virtual format that we moved to in March due to COVID-19 actually benefitted us in being able to use our time more efficiently, and get support faster. I really appreciated that when I sought help, I wasn't always just handed an answer, but rather helped along in the direction of a solution that I could arrive at on my own.  Labs, readings, and code challenges helped me to get familiar with high level concepts, continue to practice writing code every day, and build onto my growing knowledge base. The week-long team projects completed at the end of each section of the curriculum were invaluable in teaching us how to work as part of a team,  plan out a project, communicate and collaborate, research and experiment with new libraries/frameworks, and actually talk about technology to an audience. There is also a career services aspect to the overall curriculum that was crucial to helping me learn and get comfortable with talking about myself as a developer, building a network, and preparing for interviews post-program.

Six weeks after graduating, I am now employed full-time as a full-stack software engineer, working with a lot of the same frameworks we were taught in the Alchemy curriculum, and also using some of the same libraries that my teams chose to use during some of the larger projects we had to complete. I owe the opportunity to interview for my role to Alchemy's career services director who is an incredible asset to the program, but also recognize that I made it through the interviews because of what I personally learned during my time as an Alchemy student. On my very first days on the job, I was able to meet with career developers, understand what they were working on, and participate in real dialogues about how things worked, what could be changed, and what still needed to be done. Alchemy has more than prepared me to be successful out in the real world, and I will be forever grateful to the community for helping me make my dreams come true.
    • Joseph Tatum • Software Engineer • Graduate
      The program at Alchemy is fantastic. It's intense and fast-paced but super worth the effort. Folks come into the program from all walks and life (some with coding experiences and others with none) and within about 5 days the playing field completely levels out. The instructors are amazing and helpful and kind and treat all the students with respect. I can't say enough good things about them. Alchemy is set apart from other programs since there's a career services department that was quintessential in me landing a role a few months after graduating (in a pandemic no less). Other programs are cheaper and shorter, but I think Alchemy really gives students a better and deeper understanding of the foundational elements of javascript compared to folks I've met coming out of programs. You'll work hard, but the reward is worth it!
    • Joel • Software Engineer • Graduate
      A very comprehensive curriculum that not only teaches you how to code/problem solve, but how to do so on a team, and how to communicate code as well. There is a real feeling of camaraderie among the classes, and the instructors are incredibly supportive, even after you've graduated!