alchemy-code-lab-logo

Alchemy Code Lab

Online, Portland

Alchemy Code Lab

Alchemy Code Lab offers a full-time, 21-week course in Full Stack JavaScript both in-person in Portland, Oregon and live online. Alchemy Code Lab is an innovation-driven code school where students will engage in an advanced curriculum under the guidance of a team of industry-experienced instructors. The coding bootcamp covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, JQuery, SQL, and more, and includes a free, 30-hour interactive prep week taught by senior developers. Alchemy aims to ensure their course offerings evolve and expand alongside innovations in software development, to allow students to hit the ground running with the most current toolsets in the field. Alchemy instructors don't want to just teach “getting it to work.” Instead, they aim to encourage the practice of writing quality code that can be sustained and maintained now, and by developers down the road. The team at Alchemy endeavors to live what they teach, and supports each other in passion projects and creative pursuits. The bootcamp strives to generate real opportunity for the next generation of professional developers to drive Portland's creative future.

The application process involves a long-form questionnaire detailing the applicant's work, educational background, and coding experience, along with informational and technical interviews. Students must complete 25+ hours of bootcamp prep before class starts.

Alchemy Code Lab seeks to collaborate with the experts and organizations that are powering Portland’s tech community, providing insider access to the industry. Career development support is provided to all students and alumni, both in the classroom and in one-on-one coaching. Students will establish a compelling online brand, network, and resume featuring professional knowledge, experience, and practices gained during the course, and will be able to demonstrate the skills to drive a successful job search.

Alchemy Code Lab (formerly Code Fellows PDX) is powered by Code Fellows.

Recent Alchemy Code Lab Reviews: Rating 4.96

all (51) reviews for Alchemy Code Lab →

Recent Alchemy Code Lab News

• (free, online-live) DEVELOPER 101

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS
      OnlineFull Time30 Hours/week1 Week
      LocationPortland
      Developer 101 is 30+ hours of interactive training - definitely not a fluff preview or a DIY online course. This is a full week of full throttle developer school with full day sessions and live instructors showing you how it’s done. Why? It’s the best way to find out if coding is the career for you and if Alchemy can help you get there. In just one week, you’ll... Experience how you can use HTML, CSS and JavaScript to solve problems like a software developer Experience Alchemy’s live, interactive, connected online classroom style Work with senior software developers and code-curious peers Hear from Alchemy alumni about how their transition to a career in software development has positively impacted their lives Gain familiarity and comfort with remote work, which is here to stay Get professional developer grade tools set up on your computer and understand how those tools relate to doing web development
      This is a free class; n/a
      Tuition Plansn/a
      Refund / Guaranteen/a
      Scholarshipn/a
      Minimum Skill LevelBeginner, self taught, CS degree new graduates
      Prep WorkRequires pre-work (provided after registration)
    • (online-live) Professional Software Development Program in Full Stack JavaScript with Comprehensive Career Services

Start Date January 4, 2021
      LocationPortland
      Online-Live training, Excellent curriculum, and all day access to expert instruction and your cohort. Great tech careers start with strong trajectories. Alchemy's professional software development training program launches grads toward exponential opportunity and salary growth. Whether you've never looked at code or have already completed a bootcamp or online course prior, Alchemy graduates emerge as industry-ready software developers after 6 months of rigorous, in-person training from industry-experienced Senior Development instruction.
      Full tuition available through our partner Skills Fund.
      Tuition PlansInstallments, ISA, GI Bill, and private lending
      Refund / Guaranteepro-rated per the State of Oregon's recommended refund schedule
      ScholarshipMultiple diversity scholarships available! Kindly inquire with admissions.
      Minimum Skill LevelBeginner or junior developer
      Prep WorkFree Dev101 to start. Git, JavaScript, HTML and CSS online Tutorials required prior.
      January 4, 2021 - Portland Apply by December 4, 2020
    • Tommy  User Photo
      Tommy • Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Alchemy Code Lab was probably one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life. Prior to this, coding was something I was interested in but never really planned on pursuing. That was until one of my best friends took the program. Before coming to Alchemy, I already had a good impression because my friend had been trying to convince me to take it from when he was in the program up until the point when I finally said yes. I gained confidence in Alchemy’s ability to prepare people for tech careers when my friend got his first job where he was referred to by another Alchemy graduate, and after talking to Megan, my decision was made.

If your only interest is to learn web development, then I would suggest much cheaper alternative resources like Khan Academy, Udemy, Codecademy, YouTube, etc. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of other resources that are much cheaper than Alchemy Code Lab that you can use to learn web development. Alchemy Code Lab isn’t just about teaching you web development, it’s about preparing you for a career in tech starting with web development. You’ll get tech industry-related experience with teamwork and communication, project planning and management, and best practices as well as career-related experience with networking, resume writing, interviewing, and salary negotiation. When you join Alchemy Code Lab, you won’t just be enrolling in a class, you’ll be joining a positive and supportive community that will support you during your time at Alchemy and will continue to do so long after you’re done with the program.

While the cost of doing Alchemy Code Lab is obviously higher compared to other programs in the Portland area and keeping in mind that I can’t really compare the Alchemy program to other programs (because I didn’t have to take other programs), I would say that it’s totally worth it for the experience and the amount and quality of support you get from the staff. I would dare say that you can get your money’s worth just from having access to Shannon in Career Services but that wouldn’t be fair or right to Megan, Marty, Ryan, and the other staff members (I haven’t met the others) because they are all amazing and supportive. Shannon will help you with networking, interviewing, and negotiating salary. She will give you advice on your resume and even set you up with recruiters for positions that she thinks would be a good fit for you. Her goal isn’t just for you to get a job, it’s for you to get a job that you’re happy with and pays well. Marty and Ryan are veterans in the tech industry and are very up to date on the latest and most popular technologies. They always make sure that the curriculum they teach you is reflective of the demand in the job market. Megan is basically Alchemy’s mom. She’ll support you emotionally if you ever feel down, and she’ll also work with you to get financial aid. Before the pandemic when the classes were in-person, she made sure that the class environment was comfortable and gave out snacks everyday.

I want to be clear, just doing the program isn’t going to guarantee you a job nor will it guarantee that you will be an amazing developer. You’ll have to put in the work to get results. However the work you put in at Alchemy will have amplified results with their support.
    • Casey Martell  User Photo
      Casey Martell • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
      At the time I joined Alchemy, I had past experience coding, but I wanted to bring my skills current with an in-demand tech stack. I was fully prepared to go out of state to get the best bootcamp education. Alchemy, being a smaller school, didn't happen to cross my radar until the very last minute. Thankfully, it did, and I was able to join a cohort that had just completed their prep week.

I found the coursework to be very challenging and I really appreciated the strength of the Alchemy community in supporting each other through it. I really feel like I made some true friends in the coding crucible there. I was able to continue on with a small study group after the program ended in order to keep up and build on my skills.

Six months later, I've accepted an offer for a great job with a startup after receiving a great deal of interest from several potential employers.

So wait, why only 4 stars for curriculum? As a cohort, we expressed some concerns about the timing and methods for the introduction of React.JS into the coursework. To Alchemy's credit, they listened and adjusted things for the very next cohort. This wasn't a huge deal and curriculum in a good bootcamp should always be evolving to fit the needs of the market and the students. If I could give 4.5 stars I would, it's just difficult to be perfect in this area.

One thing that I've heard from other bootcamp grads in town is that they are a little jealous with the career support that Alchemy offers. Job hunting can be very emotionally challenging and it was nice to know that I could always reach out and get help when I needed it. I frequently reviewed materials we'd been provided with prior to interviews in order to be well prepared. And, as an alumnus, there were fireside chats and other events to keep me in touch with developer life and the job market in a more direct way.
    • Dannie Schumaker  User Photo
      Dannie Schumaker • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      tl;dr
      Challenging (and fun!) program with really strong network/community. Unparalleled instruction quality and career support. Went from having virtually no programming knowledge to being a confident software engineer in about 5 months. Found first role within seven weeks of graduating despite having completely unrelated professional background and seeking work in the midst of a global pandemic. Couldn’t be more grateful for decision to attend Alchemy.

Instruction and Curriculum
      Depth
      What drew me most to this program was the depth of the instruction — learning one language from front to back through hands-on experience. Bootcamp timelines are short; by spending that time diving deeper into JavaScript instead of scraping the surfaces of several languages, Alchemy students develop a strong foundation in the engineering processes and practices that make us successful finding jobs and in the field. We have a deeper understanding of fundamental concepts, are able to write better quality code and can adapt to new languages and tools quickly.

Process
      During the technical interview for my current role, I was asked to architect an app based on product requirements from imaginary project managers, wireframe it, and build it out on the spot. For an Alchemy grad, this is a breeze; I did a version of this every day for months and really deepened my skills during project sprints. What really sets Alchemy students apart is our ability to break down a process and execute each step from start to finish. The language itself could be learned through online courses; it would take longer, and the lack of accountability would limited the format’s effectiveness for me personally, but it would be possible. But becoming really comfortable with processes — through demos in iterative practices, projects and many hours of hands-on experience every day — is not an ability I think I could have learned through other means.

Staying up to date
      Alchemy’s curriculum is always changing to keep up with the industry. My current software engineering role is with an established retail company that is transitioning its model to focus more heavily on software. At my job, we use the most popular library for building UI components and the most up-to-date syntax. The fact that my current role is using a similar tools to what I learned at Alchemy — and is using them the same way that I learned — highlights Alchemy’s strengths. When the latest JS version was nearing release, we knew what to expect and were able to implement some of its features immediately.

Instructor quality and support
      I felt so supported throughout the program by Alchemy’s primary instructors, Dani and Ryan. They are skilled at finding ways to present information that can be absorbed by different learning styles. Several TAs were also available to offer assistance, and one was officially designated to review my work. When I needed assistance, I was always be able to connect with a member of the instruction staff — both while the program was in person and after the pandemic abruptly shifted us to remote learning. This is a huge asset compared to other programs, where you may find yourself beating your head against the wall for hours.

Projects
      Among the greatest strengths of this program are the one-week sprints on small teams. During each of these four sprints, you will collaborate with your peers to design, build and deploy an impressively professional app. These experiences prepare you for working on teams at software companies: You pair- and mob-program to build features and squash bugs; put test-driven development principles into practice; learn how to implement effective project management strategies; navigate snags in a high-pressure environment; learn new technologies really quickly; and develop approaches for working with colleagues who don’t always share your style or perspective.

These projects become professional portfolio pieces and provide real-world experiences to discuss during interviews. But even more, they prepare you for your future job. In my opinion, they put Alchemy head and shoulders above other bootcamps.

Career Services
      Shannon is an impassioned advocate for grads in the network that she is diligently growing. (I have her to thank for my acquiring the interview that led to my current role.) But she also teaches you how to advocate for yourself as a software developer. She provides you materials to consider your strengths and weaknesses and how you’ll fit in the tech community. This helps you grow your confidence about what you have to offer, which in turn allows you to converse comfortably at both networking events and interviews.

Community
      The Alchemy community believes in you when you have doubts. Megan and Shannon will always remind you of just how uniquely awesome you are. That sort of personalized attention simply doesn’t exist at most bootcamps and figured prominently into my decision to attend Alchemy. The community of grads is also ridiculously supportive of current students. (That includes me! Please reach out if you have any questions. I did the same before choosing a program.)

Remote Learning
      My cohort transitioned to remote learning almost halfway through our program due to COVID-19. I could not have been more impressed with how seamlessly and professionally Alchemy handled the pivot at a really ambiguous moment. Communication channels were completely open with students to ensure that we were well supported, and staff were quick to heed our suggestions. Our actual schedule was unchanged; we simply switched to Zoom lectures in the mornings and worked on labs from home in the afternoons. “Zoom rooms” were available during lab time for students who wished to simulate the in-person experience, when we would often work independently at the same table.

As someone who had to commute at least an hour each way to reach Alchemy’s physical location, I found that I had more time to complete labs and maintain work-life balance. I also found it easier to focus than I did when we were in person. That said, those of you with families at home may have a different experience.

So is it worth it?
      Alchemy is more expensive than many bootcamps. Given the depth I wanted from a program and the networking that I considered imperative, that expense was well worth it. The tuition was a big chunk of change that I didn’t have, and as someone with a master’s degree that was already going unused, I wasn’t willing to increase my debt unless I was really confident that I would 1) enjoy the work, 2) be trained adequately to actually do the work, and 3) find a job after graduating.

Through my time at Alchemy, I developed not only the technical skills to be a competent software engineer, but also the ability to collaborate effectively on software teams and confidence in myself as a woman in this male-dominated field.

I was offered a job within two months of graduating that almost tripled my previous salary — and I was actively interviewing for other positions at the time of the offer. I expect to pay off the loan I took out for this program in six months.

So yes! Alchemy was so, so worth it. If you are confident that software development is the right fit for you, then look into Alchemy.
    • Great School
      - 8/12/2020
      Evan Andrewson  User Photo
      Evan Andrewson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I came into the program with no prior programming experience. You quickly pick up how to use vanilla JavaScript and HTML as well as CSS before moving into working with databases and libraries such as React. It's a very fast paced program where you learn a ton in a short amount of time. The instructional staff are top tier and the TA's are super helpful in answering any questions you have an providing feedback for your assignments. The career services are also top tier. I would highly recommend this program to anyone - in fact I recommended it to my brother and he completed the course as well!
    • Chelsea Spangler  User Photo
      Chelsea Spangler • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Enrolling at Alchemy was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The coursework is extremely rigorous, with built-in support systems to help students succeed. It’s pretty amazing that in less than half a year, students can gain a very solid found­­ation in both the fundamentals and cutting-edge technologies. The curriculum is updated for every cohort to reflect the most sought-after technical proficiencies.

More than anything else, what sets Alchemy apart from other schools is their stellar career services. They have spent years forging relationships with companies, and have built up a strong reputation for graduating students who are ready to hit the ground running and be contributing members of engineering teams. They go above and beyond to make sure students are prepared not just technically, but also ready to translate their existing skills for a new tech career. I graduated Alchemy feeling 100% ready to interview successfully and thrive in a technical career.

• Luke Donahue  User Photo
      Luke Donahue • Engineer (Expensify) • Graduate Verified via GitHub
      Alchemy Code Lab is by no means your average code bootcamp experience. While many code school graduates might feel like they're ready to enter into the tech industry, I think few of them really are. As an Alchemy grad, I felt like I had a huge leg up over other code school graduates. Alchemy doesn't just cover foundational web dev concepts. The curriculum changes to reflect the rapidly evolving landscape of modern frameworks. Another incredibly important facet of this program is that on day one they are honest with you in that most of what you learn will eventually be obsolete. The most valuable asset you take away from this course is an understanding of how to learn new code concepts. For a 6 month course, I'm still shocked at the amount of hard and soft skills students acquire here. If you're worried about the cost, google "average full stack web dev salary".
    • Chris Ficht  User Photo
      Chris Ficht • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Prior to my enrollment at Alchemy Code Lab, transitioning to a career in software development was something I had been considering for quite some time. Having spent over a decade as a working musician provided very little stability, both in terms of income and time, for my family and I was ready for a new direction in life. Following a lengthy discussion with the Director of Development for a successful local business and spending some time evaluating a number of schools across the country, I made the decision to attend Alchemy Code Lab and I am so glad I did.

The curriculum is centered around the programming language, JavaScript, and the current frameworks, libraries, and practices that are used with it. The courses are as tough as they should be, but the instructors and teaching assistants do a phenomenal job of ensuring that you understand the material and the ways in which you can use it. They also make sure you are well prepared to independently continue your education, a necessary skill in the continuously evolving world of technology.

Alchemy’s incredibly personable staff ensure that you’re confident and ready to begin your new career, not only as a programmer but also as a tech professional thanks to the provision of career services that start right as your studies begin and continue well after you’ve completed the program.

If you are considering making the transition to a career in software development, I can assure you there is no better choice for making the change than Alchemy.
    • Dirt Deodara  User Photo
      Dirt Deodara • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I couldn't recommend Alchemy more.
      I came in with zero coding experience and I had a rough, but rewarding time. It's a very challenging course that really encourages the students to grow as much as they are able to. It was scary and overwhelming for me to risk so much on an unknown, but the tightly knit crew of faculty were always willing to hold space, offer support, and help keep my head above water. With their help, and that of the greater Alchemy community, I was able to emerge after 6 months as a competent developer with a relevant tech stack in my toolbox. Then, with help from their amazing Career Services Director, Shannon Rasimas, I was able to land an internship and then a fantastic fulltime role as a Software Engineer.
      The teaching staff is extremely knowledgable, compassionate, and up to date with the modern state of development. Alchemy truly cares about the success of their students and they work very hard to cultivate a strong community that helps connect all students and alumni into a network of mutual support.
      Again, I couldn't recommend Alchemy more.

• Mike Grace  User Photo
      Mike Grace • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Attending this school was the best decision of my life.  I had just gotten back from a 7 month bike tour through Europe and had been working in Ohio for a few months before making the decision to apply to Alchemy.  I moved here about a week before the course began and didn't know anybody in Portland, but the program changed that quickly.  I made some great friends!  My cohort was filled with exceptional people from diverse backgrounds. One of the best parts of the experience for me was to be able to see how my classmates would approach a particular problem completely differently than me, but with the end result being the same.  This really helped with my understanding of coding in general. Also, the staff at this school genuinely cares about the students.  The owners are some of the best people you'll meet and not only care about your career success, but also make a huge effort to be sure everyone feels as comfortable and happy as possible while going through one the most hectic times they'll face.  Career services is also amazing!  You are really given direction that will help you succeed not only throughout the program, but afterwards as well.  One thing that really stands out was when I thought I had created a good resume.  I was told to give it another go and I'm happy I was told that because it looks soooo much better :).  The TAs are great as well and will always have your back when you're struggling.  Lastly, the instructors are extremely knowledgeable and really patient, kind people.  I'm gonna miss them!

Beyond the people, the curriculum at this school is wonderful.  Everything you learn will be what is in the highest demand at the time you attend.  I feel that the knowledge we received at Alchemy is greater than that of other schools.  My roommate attended a different bootcamp and said that he was impressed by all that we had learned and that he felt I was at an advantage for having chosen Alchemy.

As for the cons, they are hard to come by.  All I can really say is that if you choose this program, be prepared because it is definitely not easy, but if you're ready to put the work in then I don't think you can make a better choice.
    • Software Engineer
      - 7/10/2020
      Abbey Masters  User Photo
      Abbey Masters • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Prior to starting at Alchemy Code Lab, I investigated many bootcamps in LA and then in Portland after moving here. None felt right until I stepped into Alchemy and had an interview. One of the main reasons I chose Alchemy was the length of the course (6 months compared to a lot of 3 month programs) which I believe allowed for a much broader range of concepts to be taught that would enable me to quickly jump in to a job after graduation. The other was that from stepping through Alchemy's doors, you can tell that it's a community of inclusion. Everyone is incredible and wants to see you succeed in the tech world, and that's priceless. From incredible instructors, to career coaching and resume building—you truly get the full experience at Alchemy. After graduation, I joined Alchemy as a TA for the next cohort where I continued to build more confidence in talking about code, debugging code, and helping transition to virtual education through COVID. This experience was so meaningful and integral to me pursuing job opportunities post TAing. I was able to sign a job offer one month after finishing TAing at Alchemy.
    • Alex Ramirez de Cruz  User Photo
      Alex Ramirez de Cruz • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I researched very diligently when I decided to make this career change, and Alchemy was at the top of my list not only for their in depth program and their ability to remain agile and add to the curriculum as trends in technology change, but also for the diversity. They had the most diversity of  methods (pair programming, mob programming, TA assistance, teachers, singular study, reading, lab projects, sprint projects, etc), but as a gay woman of color they were able to cultivate the most diverse room of humans to learn along side of. They also made the program more accessible to me through their offering of scholarships. On top of that, they allowed plenty of room for me to advocate for what I needed and took the time to get to know me individually and what my goals were so they could push me toward them and tailor their support of me.
      After completing their full-stack program, (with ZERO technical or computer knowledge previously), I was able to land a dream job as a software developer just two months after my graduation.
      Alchemy gave me such a gift and I enjoyed my time there so much that I frequently return to catch up with teachers, talk with new students, and make myself available to meet with students who are considering the program or wanting some support while in the program. And I am only one alum that is part of a larger network who does the same. If that doesn't speak to the lasting community they are building, I don't know what does.
    • Easton Gorishek  User Photo
      Easton Gorishek • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I joined Alchemy Code Lab with no prior programming experience and no undergraduate. I was sort of the free spirit type who travelled and held various types of jobs. I mention this because it does not matter what your background is - if you commit and dedicate yourself to this program it will provide the knowledge and skillset needed to obtain a fulfilling career in software development in a relatively short period of time. I've done it and have watched several others do the same.

The school provides an excellent learning environment and an amazing community. It's open, bright, filled with plants, offers a variety of sitting arrangements, and located in a cool location. Beyond the facility you'll be surrounded with an amazing team that is passionate, knowledgable, kind, and there to provide the education and resources needed to reach your goal of becoming a software developer. Within the six months you'll go from not knowing how to open your terminal to writing full-fledged full-stack web applications that incorporate frameworks, component architecture, testing, servers, databases, and APIs. I can personally state that you'll leave with the skillset to contribute day one on the job, and have a solid foundation to continually build upon. Not only will you leave with the ability to build web applications, but you'll receive invaluable insight and resources on how to market yourself, network, and interview.

Lastly - I'll mention, for your success, it's important you are in a situation you can fully commit to the time obligations and are mentally in a place where you want to change your life, be challenged, continuously learn, and solve puzzles. The program moves quick and you'll most likely experience highs and lows. That being said - it's DOABLE and well worth the grind. Alchemy Code Lab has helped many lives (mine included) accelerate in obtaining rewarding careers in tech - now it's time they help accelerate yours. Best of luck!