altcademy-logo

Altcademy

Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Online, Singapore

Altcademy

Altcademy (formerly Hack Pacific) is an education institute offering intensive online programming courses. Courses cover back and front end technologies including JavaScript, HTML, CSS, Node.js, React, React Native and Ruby on Rails. The school was founded to meet the huge demand for programmers in the Asia startup community. It is aimed at beginners with no experience, and has a selection of online courses that help students become software developers. Students can choose between an Immersive Path that includes all curriculum materials, online chat, and a Q&A database, or a Personalized Career Path, that includes additional 1-1 mentorship, career guidance, interview prep, and more.

The program has no pre-requisites and is designed for beginners to learn from scratch. Students can enroll and start the course at any time.

Career Path students receive resume guidance, networking tips, and technical interview preparation. Altcademy works with partners in Silicon Valley to keep up-to-date with the latest technology trends. The quality of graduates is the only measure of success. Altcademy aims to go the extra mile to ensure students get the best out of their programs.

Recent Altcademy Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (34) reviews for Altcademy →

Recent Altcademy News

• Back-end Web Development

Rails, Ruby
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      Learn Ruby and Ruby on Rails and build multiple back-end API applications in 16 weeks. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo Prerequisites
    • Bitcoin 101

In PersonPart Time1 Hours/week
      This 5-day free course is designed for someone who knows nothing about programming or economics. By the end, you will feel comfortable around the topics of Bitcoin and perhaps capable of explaining it to your friends and family. I have broken down each day’s agenda to cover different aspects of Bitcoin.
    • Coding 101

In PersonPart Time1 Hours/week
      This 5-day free course is designed for beginners. This is for someone who knows nothing about coding. This course is non-technical. You don’t need to know anything about programming. By the end of Day 5, you will learn enough to feel comfortable with coding.
    • Data Science 101

In PersonPart Time1 Hours/week
      This 5-day free course is designed for someone who knows nothing about programming or Data Science. By the end, you will feel comfortable around the topics of Data Science and perhaps capable of explaining it to your friends and family.
    • Front-end Web Development

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Front End
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      In 20 weeks, you will learn HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, jQuery, Git and build multiple front-end projects. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours of work on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo prerequisites required.
    • Full-stack Web Development

HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Front End, Ruby
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      Learn Full-stack Web Development in 36 weeks. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo Prerequisites

• codinng 101
      - 1/8/2018
      coinmaster4you  User Photo
      coinmaster4you • Student Verified via GitHub

Gave me great insight in coding. I had some html knowledge beforehand, but it was still very eye opening course on how you attack problems with as a coder or programer

• Michelle S Lee  User Photo
      Michelle S Lee • Student Verified via GitHub

The best thing about this program is how committed and helpful the mentors are! Students are given personal attention and contsantly provided with critical personal feedback on their work. The 1 to 1 mentor and student set up also allows for the curriculum to be wondefully flexible under the recommendation of the mentors and needs of the student. I've struggled to learn programming myself through other online courses and this mentorship really makes a world of a difference.

The curriculum itself is also well structured and makes use of the best freely available online resources. It also is more relevant and applicable than other courses I have taken before on programming.

• Coding for fun
      - 11/12/2019
      Darmini • Student

Pros: This course is very enjoyable. The curriculum has both breadth and depth, lots of exercises and real world assignments. At the price they are offering, it's a steal.

Cons: The community is not as active as I would like. But the mentors are fast in their responses when I needed help, so I didn't have to struggle too much on my own.

• Athena • UI • Student

I am a digital graphics designer and I work with web developers a lot in my job. So learning front-end development is an obvious choice for me. I found this program to be well rounded, practical, and in depth. I am now capable of implementing my design in actual code, which is what I aimed to achieve.

• Tomas Perry • Student • Student

This course does a really good job covering the fundamentals. Apart from learning how to build websites, I also learned how to solve many common algorithm questions. I am confident that I have at least achieved the beginner level in programming and web dev. And I plan to continue to grow after this.

P.S. There is some career help where they help you with resume and interview questions, but no job referrals so I gave it a 3 star for that.

• Ruth • Self-employed • Student

There was a lot of material covered in this course. I spent on average 15 hours a week studying and managed to finish 80% in 4 months. I am nearing the end now and my mentor agreed to help me build a website for my business. I learnt a lot of practical things from this course and I am feeling more confident about building and managing an online business now.

• Michael Ryan V. Alimagno • Student

I just completed the Coding 101 course. I would say this is a good program to learn coding specially for beginners. I am amazed how the mentor is prompt in answering your question and it really is effective specially when you are stuck in a problem. I look forward to enrolling to nano major course.

• Indigo • Student

I joined to refresh my knowledge as I haven't been practicing my profession for many years. I think they did a pretty good job on explaining many of the concepts, and I majored in CS, so I don't say that lightly. Some improvements could be done on data structures though, as I can see this is can be hard for some beginners to grasp. Probably adding explainer videos with animation for certain concepts would be good. The mentors were really helpful as well when I asked them about more advanced topics that weren't covered in the curriculum. Overall, I really enjoyed the program.

• John Wang • Graduate

The reason I went with a bootcamp is because I want to be able to get help when I need it. I tried learning on my own, and it would get quite demoralizing at times when I couldn't figure out things for days. I know there are many free resources and forums out there, but I would just rather have a dedicated mentor that can help me. These guys were very responsive and they helped me solve my problems quickly. And their prize is amazing! No job assistance though.

• Ivan Pan • Student

I work in the finance industry but I wanted to learn another skillset. The course is very good, especially since I can learn at my own pace. The mentors are friendly and helpful.

• Coding 101
      - 9/6/2018
      Robbie • Student

I really like the little course for people who have little to or no experience with coding. It's a great gateway to learn a little bit of coding and how it can open up to more job opportunities because a lot of things are already done by computer. This was a great exposure of what is coding and such.

• Christos • Graduate

I joined to learn some skills to improve the web aspects of the family business. And I got what I was looking for.

• Lavinia • Graduate

First of all, the program doesn't promise any jobs at the end, or offer any job support. But the program did help me gain a solid foundation in full-stack development. I continued to work on my capstone project after finishing the program to improve my skills and managed to find an internship at a startup.

I would say for the money they charged, which is a huge discount compared to other similar bootcamps, they delivered an excellent experience. If you are looking to get hired immediately, you have to work a bit more after the program to prepare for interviews and polish your skills. You also need to research on the local job market on your own.

In total, I spent about a year from starting to learn how to code to getting my first job. It's a long process that not everyone should venture into. I give this program a 5 star because I got what I was looking for, which is good curriculum and support to help me build a out my full stack skill base.

• Leonard • Graduate
      The material goes from easy to advanced in a pretty steady curve. It was challenging but not too hard that it would drive someone crazy. Most of the curriculum is well written and the explanations easy to understand. Recommend to complete beginners.
    • Lilly Harrison • Student

The decision on choosing a professional paid program with mentorship vs learning on my own using free materials wasn't an easy one to make. But I am glad I went with Altcademy. There are just so many kinks and blocks when it comes to learning how to code. And the benefits of having a pro to ask for help when you need it is completely worth the money.

• Artur • Graduate

The course is definitely not easy. Some of the exercises can be quite challenging. Such as the algorithm exercises. The assignments involving HTML, CSS and JavaScript are also quite tough. But the material does offer walkthrough if you are really stuck. I feel that I had built a great foundation from this experience, and I have gained a lot of confidence in my programming skills.

• Great program
      - 9/1/2018
      Tommy Lam • Graduate

I recently graduated with a master's degree in design. I wanted to gain some solid skills in front-end development so I can work in digital agencies. And this program gave me exactly what I needed.

• Aubree Park • Student

I am currently taking the Front-end program and am having a great experience. Material is well written. Mentors are supportive and helpful. The material is mostly text based which suits my study style. Better than the video based courses I took before.

• Camille • Graduate

I took this course thinking it would be a great prep course before joining a full time bootcamp. But, now that I have finished, I think I might not need to go to a full time bootcamp anymore. This course covered almost all the materials that is in the bootcamp I was planning to go for. And the level of detail was just astonishing. I am now working on my capstone project, and I plan to apply for some junior level jobs soon.

• Bonnie • Graduate

Great all round program. Clear and structured curriculum, plenty of exercises. Good support from mentors. Material can be challenging at some points but feels good to overcome. Recommend to newbies.

• Learning to learn
      - 8/28/2018
      Elia Z • Graduate

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". This is how I would summarize my experience with Altcademy. I am very grateful for the patience and heart the instructors demonstrated in mentoring me. They taught me the most important thing, which is learning how to learn.

• Christina B • Graduate

Backend web dev is a solid foundation course for learning how to build api servers. Also a good intro to programming with Ruby. Loved it. Thank you Altcademy

• Michele J • Student

I am learning to break from a 9 to 5 job so I can work at home and spend more time with my children. And I didn't want to quit my job before learning enough to get a freelance job. That's why I chose this course, it is online and flexible, and the mentorship was what sold me.

• Harvir O • Student
      I came in to this program already knowing some HTML and CSS. So the first part of the material was a really good review of my existing knowledge, as it revealed some of the holes I had. The JavaScript part had a comfortable learning curve, it started from the absolute basics and slowly progressed to high level (some times difficult) concepts. There were plenty of exercises for practice, which was important. Part 3 combined HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to create websites that would call external APIs, and create interactive game features. It really painted the picture well of how a website is put together. In summary, it was a very rewarding experience and I have learned a more logical and stretigic way to think by learning how to code.
    • Jack K • Graduate

I tried to learn programming on my own for a couple of years but I never managed to get very far. Looking back, it was probably due to the lack of a structured curriculum and motivation to carry on. Altcademy's nanomajor program was very well planned out. It covers all the nitty gritty details and had plenty of examples and alternative explanations for harder concepts. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with them. The mentors were extremely responsive and accommodating when I asked them for help. They even gave me a nudge when I was slacking and got me to keep going. Shout out to Xiao! The only thing they don't offer is job support. But I guess you can't have everything, especially at such an affordable price.