journey-education-logo

Journey Education

Cleveland, Montreal

Journey Education

Journey Education partners with universities to offer online coding and data science bootcamps. These bootcamps prepare students for careers in tech, and offer a university certificate upon graduation. The bootcamps also teach students how to navigate the job market, how to market themselves, and how to network. Journey Education is headquartered in Montreal, Canada.

Journey Education formerly went by the name DecodeMTL and Concordia Bootcamps.

Recent Journey Education Reviews: Rating 4.76

all (93) reviews for Journey Education →

Recent Journey Education News

Read all (6) articles about Journey Education →
  • Coding Bootcamp

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End, GitHub
    LocationCleveland, Montreal
    Our flagship 12-week online coding bootcamp focuses on teaching you full-stack web development, with a heavy focus on JavaScript. As a graduate, you will earn a university certificate and have access to our team of career coaches and employer partners.
  • Jeremy Cohen • Graduate

Going to Concordia Bootcamps was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made! Before attending the bootcamp, I was a graduate from Concordia with a Bachelors in Political Science not knowing what I wanted to do after University had ended. Programming peaked my interest and it was something I had previously dabbled with but had never been willing to take the full leap into the world of coding. After doing some basic HTML and CSS courses online I knew that this is what I wanted to do and began researching different options to see how I could enter the field. After looking through my options I stumbled upon coding bootcamps and started researching what they were and whether it was the right move for me or not to enroll in one. After reading many online reviews about different bootcamps, I decided to enroll at Concordia Bootcamps as it was the one that peaked my interest the most. The school is constantly updating its curriculum to try and incorporate the latest technologies in the world of programming and it was something I felt would be best suited for a completely new programmer like myself. After going through the 3 step admissions program, I was admitted for the June 2019 cohort. Going in to the Cohort I still had a bit of skepticism as I wasn’t sure how I’d be able to go from nothing to ready to be employed in 4 months. However, as time kept going on and with Jacques as the teacher as well as the help of the TC’s I began to gain more and more confidence in myself and my programming abilities. It got to the point where I was not only able to work in a group to make a full working website, but I was also able to work on a solo website as the final project and was able to do so better than I could have imagined before starting this course.

After graduating, there’s the worrisome feeling of will you be able to get a job or not. However, with the help of Natasha and my Career Coach Quinn I was able to secure a job 6 weeks after graduation which I couldn’t have been happier with. Enrolling at Concordia Bootcamps was the best decision I have made and am excited to see what the future holds for me as a new programmer!

• Full Stack Program
    - 10/7/2019
    Jesse • Front-End-Dev • Graduate

Prior to joining Decode, I had tried my hand at University and College and felt like I was not cut out for academic work. Slowly but surely I started to get interested in Web Development, and I ended up taking this program in January. Much to my surprise, the hands-on nature of the program, made my negative feelings of studying in the past, melt away. Instead of being conventionally graded, I was instead forced to judge my own work, on my own terms. And in all honesty, that in specific, allowed me to excel. I felt like the public school system had failed me, as I started to get better at coding. As I left this program, I was met with a fantastic assistance in not only code and theory, but also the job search. This program changed my life, and every single penny put into it was well worth it. It also took some time (a couple months), but I have now found a pretty fantastic position as a front-end dev :)

Special shout-out to Richard and Natasha for being so god damn helpful.

• Bobby Connolly • Software Developer • Graduate

Before I started this immersive full-stack Javascript program, I was feeling anxious about my professional future. By the end of the first week, all my anxiety was blasted away thanks to the best teacher named Jacques. Yup, he's the best!

If you want to become a modern software developer, then look no further because I believe that this is the most direct path out there. Yes, it costs a lot of time, money, and effort but this is all peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Make sure you are ready before jumping into this course. You cannot afford distractions. Drop your phone down a sewer if you have to. Every day you must awaken with the fullest intention to be a student of software development.

I start my new Software Developer job next Monday.

Thank you, Jacques and Kevin, for creating this pathway.

• Anthony • Front-end Developer • Graduate

I enrolled in DecodeMTL while having a 12 years old but never used degree in computer sciences about which I felt very insecure. In the past, I had often been looking into going back to programming, but all I could find were lengthy university programs.

In only 2 months, I gained most of the up to date knowledge needed to land a job in this effervescent industry.

Everything, from the instructor, curriculum and teaching assistants, to the post-bootcamp support in finding a job and practicing for interviews was flawless! I always felt strongly supported through the whole process.

Learning with 14 other super motivated students was also a wonderful experience. At the end of the bootcamp, even those who had no prior experience in IT were able to deliver awesome projects.

I'd recommend DecodeMTL to anyone who is interested in programming and is tempted by a career in the field.

• Ramata Soumounou • Student

I've heard about this boot camp long ago, and only did it this summer, and I have absolutely no regret. Throughout the eight weeks, students are taught JavaScript technologies such as the React, Express, and Node. During the first weeks, there are daily lectures where each student is expected to complete a set of related exercises that follow. The teacher and his assistants are always available to answer any question. During the last two weeks, each team works on a project of their choice, where they are encouraged to use technologies that were taught during the previous weeks. The day of the final presentation, students have the chance to talk to recruiters, which was an amazing opportunity for networking, and hear about different companies. After the completion of the boot camp, each student is given assistance on how to effectively seek a developer position. In summary, this boot camp is definitely worth the time and the money. Everybody has the chance to become successful programmers, regardless of their coding background prior to this course.

• Well worth it!
    - 10/1/2018
    Lisa • Graduate

The program was very intense, and provided me with a great foundation for the world of web development. The teacher and TA's were super helpful - I never had to wait to have my questions answered. It felt very relevant to the real world.

• Yazid • Graduate

I was very concerned before going into this that it would be too much to absorb in 2 months time, that I wouldn't be able to keep up or that it would be too stressful.

Do not be intimidated by this. You will be surrounded by a cohort who is going through the exact same thing as you and the comraderie you will develop will get you through it. DeCode provides supportive T.A's every step of the way to get you over humps and over all the fun of problem solving and the reward of success proves to be a fantastic driver expecially in a group environement.

You will stay late and you will work hard, don't get me wrong. Other reviewers saying you only get out what you put in are 100% on the money. But putting in the work and the long days is much easier than you think it will be.

As for absorbing all of the material in 2 months it's certainly a lot but the course pacing is very good. Be sure to stay on it after you're done and the knowledge will become concrete.

Finally Decode sets you up with an amazing networking opportunity at the end. Within a week of the course I had a number of interviews and several job offers and ended up with excatly the job I wanted.

In short. If you're on the fence, don't be. Go for it.

• Daniyar • Junior Software Developer • Graduate

When I was searching for a bootcamp, I wanted to find something that would match my goals which were to learn the industry standard technologies and find a job as a web developer. That's why I chose Decode and I have no regrets. In only 2 months, I have a solid understanding of JavaScript, React, Node, and Express! Less than 2 weeks after graduation I found a job as a Junior Software Developer! The teaching staff are very professional and helpful. They know the material very well. The admin staff really helped us with the job hunting process and prepaired us for interviews while providing us with local contacs.

• Nelson • Software Developer • Graduate

If you've found your way here while prospecting your application to DecodeMTL - you've likely got that in common with every graduating student from the program.

Know this; you'll have an awesome supporting cast. The class I was apart of was the very first cohort with their new instructor, Jacques, who has a decorated academic and professional background in computer science. He is extremely patient throughout his lectures and isn't afraid to stop at any point to make sure no student is stuck before moving on. Jacques is most interested in drilling home the fundamentals of how you write code and the best way to approach a new project. You'll have tons of assignments to get your hands dirty and my suggestion is you practice each one of them more than once. Try writing them up in different languages, implementing different features. Unfortunately, just showing up to class won't be enough to get your money's worth with this type of endeavor. You'll need to stay late, work from home and even come in on weekends to take full of advantage of the material given to you. Luckily the TA’s are also, in my opinion, professionals within their own niche. Luke, Jordan and Nadim are all super guys who will go the extra step in helping you anyway they can. None of my questions were left unanswered and they each complemented the lectures in their own way. I found a lot of value was given from the TA's and that's something you can't get by learning online.

The space at WeWork is great, not only students surround you but small businesses as well - there is no shortage of motivation to stay late and catch up on some work. Kevin's interview process to get into the program is improving each cohort, funneling down the students most motivated to succeed. You'll be surrounded by people who want to be there and that will push you to do better. The post-camp job assistance is what I think sets this course apart. Kevin messaged me almost every day after graduating, checking in on my job hunt, giving advise on ways to go about changing my approach and offering his insight all the way up until I accepted an offer. His job isn't done once you graduate - that alone speaks volumes on his commitment to you.

If you're on the fence about the material, don't worry about it. You'll learn how to learn to code. Do some research on Montreal’s job market before applying and really convince yourself this is right for you. I landed a job using a language we weren't taught - but because my fundamental foundation was solid, it's much easier to pick up new languages once you know how to think like a programmer. With that being said, I would 100% recommend taking this course. It isn’t for everyone but if you use your resources wisely, there shouldn’t be any surprises. Don’t be afraid to message any past students on LinkedIn, or even schedule a meeting with Kevin prior to discussing your concerns, anyone would be happy to help. Good luck!

• Michael

tl;dr: Decode is great. Do it.

Want to learn to code useful things? Decode is for you. Want to understand how web technologies work? Decode guides you quite far down that path. Want to specialize an a particular field or technology, well, you'll need to go beyond what Decode offers, and don't expect to come away a senior programmer. But you will come away with all of the fundamentals you'll need, a solid understanding of web technologies in general (and a deeper understanding of a several mainstream tools), and the confidence and know-how to jump in and start building anything any app you have in mind.

Decode offers excellent instruction and lots of access to resources and TA's. The classroom format offers plenty of information and theory, but also opportunities to test and challenge what you think you know, and lots of discussion so you can learn with and through your classmates. It's intense and will keep you busy, but if you put in the work, you'll definitely be able to stay on top of the fast-paced structure. The curriculm is in-depth and relevant, focusing on the trends in tech as well as some staple-tools of the industry.

I came to Decode with a prior high-level understanding of programming. I left Decode with a solid grasp of how to put that knowledge into practice. (I also found a job within a month!)

If you're on the fence about this program, my advice to you is to stop thinking about it and just do it. You won't be disappointed.

• Worth Every Penny
    - 12/11/2017
    Diana • Junior Web Developer • Graduate

About Staff:

- Very caring staff: The owner, the instructor (Jacques), TAs (Luke, Nadim, Jordan) are all very attentive and helpful. They always make time for you when you're asking a question, or trying to solve a problem. They are never impatient and will sit down with you as long as they can, to make you understand the concept/problem/solution.

-very competent TAs and Instructor: They know their subjects very very well. Each all have their own specialties, be it in HTML, CSS or Javascript, so if you have any questions regarding a very specific problem, you have your own expert at any time.

-good communication. decodemtl uses slack to have staff and students all communicate with each other. So even if the TA or Instructor is not present physically, you can always still reach out to them.

About the course:

-course material. Very in line with what's hot in the market. This past cohort (10), we were learning mostly React.js for front-end, but also learned Node.js and express for backend, with firebase database. We also touched on jQuery a little bit, HTML and CSS. What I would add, is perhaps learning mongoDB, since it seems to be very popular.

-level of difficulty. This depends on an individual basis. For people with prior experience in coding (even just a little), it was not at all difficult. For people with less experience, it might take some time to get used to, however, after spending the first week getting the basics down, it gets easier.

-process of learning. With 2 hour lectures, a lunch break and 4-7 hours of coursework, there's a lot of time commitment. However, spending this time to solve and work through projects with TAs on hand, has helped me a whole lot, and other students alike. When you're stuck for 30 minutes on a problem, you can just go see a TA to solve it, instead of going through hours of errors and bugs. It's very efficient in helping you learn.

projects. 3 weeks of projects. After learning the tools for the first 5 weeks, you are ready to make your own application. Time goes by really fast, and you have a lot of fun building your own application. This is great for not only your learning experience, but also lets you figure out what you like doing -front end? back end? or maybe even both. At the end, your project is showcased to an audience of employers, who want to see what you are capable of, and possibly hire you.

Job Prospects:

demo day is a great way to meet future employers and network. With the projects that you demonstrate, the employers can see your potential. I happened to get an on-site interview right there and then, which is pretty cool. Happened to get an offer the next week. For me, it moved pretty fast.

decodemtl's job prep process. Kevin is very keen on getting his students a job, and will spend time with you to fix your resume, look over your linkedin profile and cover letter. He has used his network to get us connections, which is fantastic. Also, if there are classmates who have been in the tech field, they can also help you network with the companies they know too.

This co-hort, Kevin hired professional tech interviewers to do mock interviews, which is great, as it helps people who get nervous, some practice.

The fact that they have a job guarantee within a 6 month period tells us a lot about how they are confident about the students job prospects.

Atmosphere:

DecodeMTL is situated at wework place-ville marie. Great location, as you have access to Montreal's infamous underground mall with shopping and food all around. Not only that, but wework is a great place to study, as it offers free beer and coffee, as well as fresh fruit water everyday. The environment helps students feel comfortable, with the optimal setting for success.

Students:

The people whom you will be working alongside are probably going to be likeminded, as they are spending the time, money and effort to do something out of the norm. They will be curious, and hard-working, which will motivate you as well. This isn't university, so the quality of people you will meet are the people who WANT to be there, and are making the most of their effort.

• Ben • Software Developer Intern • Graduate
    I graduated in late August 2017 and found a paid internship as a software developer in November 2017. I only started learning JavaScript 2 months prior to joining, placing me at a very beginner level.

The course is difficult, you won't have time for anything else really for 8 weeks. Significant information is thrown your way and you will feel frustration and confusion. You just have to put in the time and things will eventually fall into place. I would dedicate at least 11 hours a day during the week and work on material on the weekends too (there are no days off).

Their job assistance was amazing. You could tell Kevin and the rest of the staff really want you to find work after finishing the boot-camp. They helped with our resumes, cover letter and set up a mock interview for practice. They also put together a speed interview session with actual employers looking for new talent, nothing came from it but I really appreciated the effort DecodeMTL put into helping all of us out.

I would recommend this course to anyone who has a decent foundation of JavaScript and an intense drive to learn code.