journey-education-logo

Journey Education

Cleveland, Montreal, Online

Journey Education

Journey Education partners with universities to offer online coding and data science bootcamps. These bootcamps prepare students for careers in tech, and offer a university certificate upon graduation. The bootcamps also teach students how to navigate the job market, how to market themselves, and how to network. Journey Education is headquartered in Montreal, Canada.

Journey Education formerly went by the name DecodeMTL and Concordia Bootcamps.

Recent Journey Education Reviews: Rating 4.75

all (85) reviews for Journey Education →

Recent Journey Education News

Read all (6) articles about Journey Education →
  • Coding Bootcamp

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End, GitHub
    LocationCleveland, Montreal
    Our flagship 12-week online coding bootcamp focuses on teaching you full-stack web development, with a heavy focus on JavaScript. As a graduate, you will earn a university certificate and have access to our team of career coaches and employer partners.
  • Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Graduate Verified via GitHub

My experience at DecodeMTL was extremely rewarding. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to launch their career in web development, regardless of your background. The class size is small and very dynamic. You will learn a lot and work a lot - expect to spend your days and evenings there. If you are looking for an easy pass into learning how to code, this is definitely not it. Decode will teach you everything you need to know, and have a really good support system with the TA's, but they will not hold your hand. They will make sure you are really understanding what you are doing and why you are doing it. The more work and focus you put in, the more reward you will get out of it.

I would recommend going into the program with as much javascript knowledge as possible. This will greatly assist with the learning curve and will allow you to understand the more difficult concepts much quicker. I would recommend doing the Decode prep course, as well as an extra month or two of hard study, prior to starting the bootcamp - you will get much more out of the program.

The quality of instruction is really good. Ziad and the TA's do a really great job of simplifying complicated topics. Ziad loves what he does and really wants his students to understand and succeed.

If you're disciplined and driven, you will thrive at Decode. Clear your schedule for 8 weeks and make the most of it.

10/10 recommend.

• Highly recommended
    - 11/4/2020
    Johnny
    I very much enjoyed my time in the Bootcamp. The workshops were practical and challenging. The instructor was very clear and highly knowledgeable. The technical coaches were always willing to help. Career services offers many useful webinars and resources. I was nervous about jumping into a new career after working many years in finance but I have no regrets. I highly recommend this Bootcamp!
  • Paolo Drago • Front end developer • Student
    Bootcamp:
    I took the Concordia Bootcamp Full-Stack Immersive course. I had zero prior coding experience and actually came from a bachelor of arts degree in psychology.. So yeah, no math, intensive sciences etc.. The bootcamp portion of the journey was very hard. But also extremely rewarding. We covered the fundamentals of Javascript and its most used libraries and frameworks (React, Node, Express and more). The teaching assistants that were provided were excellent and knowledgeable about the topic and material which made asking questions simple and helpful. I only which we covered relational databases (MySQL), instead of non-relational databases (MongoDB), however, the team at the bootcamp are very dynamic, so I would not be surprised if they have updated their curriculum or plan to:)!

Career Services:
    I graduated right in the middle of the pandemic. Therefore, the job search was quite challenging, however, the career coach I had (Penny) was truly amazing. She helped me with applications and drastically changed my perceptions on the job search. I owe so much credit to her. We also receive a  technical coach who are usually awesome at helping you with future projects and coding bugs. My technical coach was awesome, she helped me pick up/ learn new coding languages and libraries (MySQL).

All in all, this program would be a great place to learn the fundamentals of coding web applications. It's very challenging but fulfilling in the end. However, for those applying, the team at Concordia Bootcamps expects you to give 100% and they will offer all the support they can in return. You can't just lounge around during the course, you need to give it your best shot. I would recommend this program to anyone willing to work hard and have an open mind about the process!

• Charles • Full Stack Developer • Graduate
    Concordia bootcamps teaches you exactly what you need to know to be relevant in the growing software industry. At the beginning it can be hard to think but at the end it's amazing how much you can learn in 3 months. Take the course was the best decision of my life. I've made so many connections that I won't forget. Scott and the Tc's are amazing and I can't thank them enough. For the career stuff Natasha in incredible. I learn a lot of things that I won't forget. Unfortunately, I started the Bootcamp on campus but COVID-19 happened so we finished the course online. Personally, doing it online was smooth like if I was in class.
  • I loved it!
    - 2/5/2020
    Alla • Graduate
    When I started the Bootcamp, I had zero coding experience. I didn’t really know what to expect but wanted to give it a try anyway.

I really loved Wakata, the platform I used to get ready for the course. It helped me understand how to read code as a computer would. This tool also gave me the fundamentals I needed; I don’t know how it is even possible to learn to code without it.

I also had a great teacher (*Jacques, you are the best! Thank you for everything!*), and I loved our TCs (*Micah, Richard, Michael, I already miss you guys!*) :)

Everyone was very patient and did their best to explain everything to us. It wasn’t only coding support but also a psychological one.

During the Bootcamp, I had tons of homework and I didn't have a single minute for myself at all, which was very difficult to handle at the time but I am very grateful now that the curriculum was this demanding!

I finished the program on December 16th, and 7 weeks later received a very good job offer which I accepted. *Thank you Natasha for your help!* :) I was also well accompanied by my career coach who gave me precious tips as to how to change my CV and LinkedIn. She also helped me find jobs which were a good fit for me. (*Thank you Rachel!!*)

Overall, I had a great experience. I am just very sad that Jacques left Concordia but am very happy I studied there while he was still the Head of Education. I am still using the tools he created (Wakaread and Wakarithm) because I believe they can actually make me a better developer.
  • Jeremy Cohen • Graduate

Going to Concordia Bootcamps was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made! Before attending the bootcamp, I was a graduate from Concordia with a Bachelors in Political Science not knowing what I wanted to do after University had ended. Programming peaked my interest and it was something I had previously dabbled with but had never been willing to take the full leap into the world of coding. After doing some basic HTML and CSS courses online I knew that this is what I wanted to do and began researching different options to see how I could enter the field. After looking through my options I stumbled upon coding bootcamps and started researching what they were and whether it was the right move for me or not to enroll in one. After reading many online reviews about different bootcamps, I decided to enroll at Concordia Bootcamps as it was the one that peaked my interest the most. The school is constantly updating its curriculum to try and incorporate the latest technologies in the world of programming and it was something I felt would be best suited for a completely new programmer like myself. After going through the 3 step admissions program, I was admitted for the June 2019 cohort. Going in to the Cohort I still had a bit of skepticism as I wasn’t sure how I’d be able to go from nothing to ready to be employed in 4 months. However, as time kept going on and with Jacques as the teacher as well as the help of the TC’s I began to gain more and more confidence in myself and my programming abilities. It got to the point where I was not only able to work in a group to make a full working website, but I was also able to work on a solo website as the final project and was able to do so better than I could have imagined before starting this course.

After graduating, there’s the worrisome feeling of will you be able to get a job or not. However, with the help of Natasha and my Career Coach Quinn I was able to secure a job 6 weeks after graduation which I couldn’t have been happier with. Enrolling at Concordia Bootcamps was the best decision I have made and am excited to see what the future holds for me as a new programmer!

• Full Stack Program
    - 10/7/2019
    Jesse • Front-End-Dev • Graduate

Prior to joining Decode, I had tried my hand at University and College and felt like I was not cut out for academic work. Slowly but surely I started to get interested in Web Development, and I ended up taking this program in January. Much to my surprise, the hands-on nature of the program, made my negative feelings of studying in the past, melt away. Instead of being conventionally graded, I was instead forced to judge my own work, on my own terms. And in all honesty, that in specific, allowed me to excel. I felt like the public school system had failed me, as I started to get better at coding. As I left this program, I was met with a fantastic assistance in not only code and theory, but also the job search. This program changed my life, and every single penny put into it was well worth it. It also took some time (a couple months), but I have now found a pretty fantastic position as a front-end dev :)

Special shout-out to Richard and Natasha for being so god damn helpful.

• Bobby Connolly • Software Developer • Graduate

Before I started this immersive full-stack Javascript program, I was feeling anxious about my professional future. By the end of the first week, all my anxiety was blasted away thanks to the best teacher named Jacques. Yup, he's the best!

If you want to become a modern software developer, then look no further because I believe that this is the most direct path out there. Yes, it costs a lot of time, money, and effort but this is all peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Make sure you are ready before jumping into this course. You cannot afford distractions. Drop your phone down a sewer if you have to. Every day you must awaken with the fullest intention to be a student of software development.

I start my new Software Developer job next Monday.

Thank you, Jacques and Kevin, for creating this pathway.

• Anthony • Front-end Developer • Graduate

I enrolled in DecodeMTL while having a 12 years old but never used degree in computer sciences about which I felt very insecure. In the past, I had often been looking into going back to programming, but all I could find were lengthy university programs.

In only 2 months, I gained most of the up to date knowledge needed to land a job in this effervescent industry.

Everything, from the instructor, curriculum and teaching assistants, to the post-bootcamp support in finding a job and practicing for interviews was flawless! I always felt strongly supported through the whole process.

Learning with 14 other super motivated students was also a wonderful experience. At the end of the bootcamp, even those who had no prior experience in IT were able to deliver awesome projects.

I'd recommend DecodeMTL to anyone who is interested in programming and is tempted by a career in the field.

• Ramata Soumounou • Student

I've heard about this boot camp long ago, and only did it this summer, and I have absolutely no regret. Throughout the eight weeks, students are taught JavaScript technologies such as the React, Express, and Node. During the first weeks, there are daily lectures where each student is expected to complete a set of related exercises that follow. The teacher and his assistants are always available to answer any question. During the last two weeks, each team works on a project of their choice, where they are encouraged to use technologies that were taught during the previous weeks. The day of the final presentation, students have the chance to talk to recruiters, which was an amazing opportunity for networking, and hear about different companies. After the completion of the boot camp, each student is given assistance on how to effectively seek a developer position. In summary, this boot camp is definitely worth the time and the money. Everybody has the chance to become successful programmers, regardless of their coding background prior to this course.

• Well worth it!
    - 10/1/2018
    Lisa • Graduate

The program was very intense, and provided me with a great foundation for the world of web development. The teacher and TA's were super helpful - I never had to wait to have my questions answered. It felt very relevant to the real world.

• Yazid • Graduate

I was very concerned before going into this that it would be too much to absorb in 2 months time, that I wouldn't be able to keep up or that it would be too stressful.

Do not be intimidated by this. You will be surrounded by a cohort who is going through the exact same thing as you and the comraderie you will develop will get you through it. DeCode provides supportive T.A's every step of the way to get you over humps and over all the fun of problem solving and the reward of success proves to be a fantastic driver expecially in a group environement.

You will stay late and you will work hard, don't get me wrong. Other reviewers saying you only get out what you put in are 100% on the money. But putting in the work and the long days is much easier than you think it will be.

As for absorbing all of the material in 2 months it's certainly a lot but the course pacing is very good. Be sure to stay on it after you're done and the knowledge will become concrete.

Finally Decode sets you up with an amazing networking opportunity at the end. Within a week of the course I had a number of interviews and several job offers and ended up with excatly the job I wanted.

In short. If you're on the fence, don't be. Go for it.