grand-circus-logo

Grand Circus

Detroit, Grand Rapids

Grand Circus

Grand Circus offers 12-week, full-time, and 26-week, part-time coding bootcamps, along with short workshops in Detroit, Michigan. Grand Circus’ mission is to elevate the city's tech community and is a center for learning, co-working, and events in Detroit. Students can choose between bootcamps covering Java, C#/.NET or Front End, and the workshops include introductions to coding, front end, back end, and web development fundamentals. Grand Circus instructors are experienced professionals, and focus on training students with a purpose and project-based instruction that delivers real-world experience.

Although no coding experience is required to attend Grand Circus coding bootcamps, students must be smart, tenacious, resourceful, hardworking, self-motivated, and committed. Students should also know how to work with programs like Google Drive and Microsoft Office. To apply, candidates should fill out an online application form, then Grand Circus will set up an interview either in-person or over Skype. Once admitted, students will need to complete a 2-week online pre-course before day one of the bootcamp.

Grand Circus helps students develop interview skills and soft skills, and organizes networking events to introduce students to employers in Detroit. Students receive a certificate of completion upon graduation.

Recent Grand Circus Reviews: Rating 4.48

all (42) reviews for Grand Circus →

Recent Grand Circus News

Read all (14) articles about Grand Circus →
  • After-Hours C# .NET Bootcamp

LocationGrand Rapids, Detroit
    This programming bootcamp will introduce you to the fundamentals of enterprise development (.NET), the use of Visual Studio, SQL databases, and how to design and deploy object-oriented applications.
    Deposit$800.00
    ScholarshipAutomatic $1,500 scholarship for veterans, women, and anyone who is a part of an ethnic minority group underrepresented in tech.
    Minimum Skill LevelWe ask that our students exhibit a growth mindset, accountability, and autonomy. We also like to see that applicants have attended at least one in-person workshop at a Grand Circus campus.
    Prep WorkUnit 1 must be completed at home and passed successfully prior to bootcamp start date.
  • After-Hours Front-End Bootcamp

LocationGrand Rapids, Detroit
    During this Front-End web development course, you’ll train with a whole host of programming languages and skills – in addition to JavaScript – as you work your way through every level of a web application, from the front-end to the server-side code.
  • C# .NET Bootcamp

C#
    LocationGrand Rapids, Detroit
    OVERVIEW C# .NET is a programming framework developed Microsoft and used the around the world in enterprise development. More importantly, it is in high demand among employers in Michigan. Our C# .NET Developer Bootcamp is 12 weeks - two weeks are at home self-paced lectures, followed by 10 weeks Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm in downtown Grand Rapids. It is intense, but in this bootcamp you will learn fundamental programming concepts necessary to apply to junior web developer positions. TELL ME MORE Our C# .NET Developer Bootcamp will introduce you to the fundamentals of enterprise development (.NET), the use of Visual Studio, methods using SQL databases, and how to design and deploy object-oriented applications. We cover the core software development skills that all .NET based web developers need. Units are divided by tiers and cover core server-side business logic and client side programming, and similar server side programming and persistence. To provide sufficient depth, concepts are taught using one of the most popular tools for a given tier, with an overview of other similar tools that are also popular in today’s job market. By graduation day, you’ll not only know the difference between ASP.NET and ActiveX, but you’ll graduate with a project you’ll be proud to show off to employers at Demo Day.
  • Front-End Bootcamp

LocationGrand Rapids, Detroit
    Our Front-End Bootcamp focuses on JavaScript (or JS), a dynamic programming language most often used to create interactivity in web pages. JavaScript supports object-oriented programming and is highly adaptable. It’s even used in non-browser environments like cars and microwaves!
    ScholarshipDiversity Scholarship Available
  • Java Bootcamp

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Java
    LocationDetroit
    Java is one of the most popular programming languages in the US and is one of the most in-demand languages from employers nationally. Whether you want to create a mobile app or learn the language used to build LinkedIn, Java is a great place to start. It’s a programming language that can be used across platforms, scale without compromising security, and handle extreme traffic. That’s why Google uses Java to handle the (on average) 60,000 searches per second. Over the course of 12 weeks, students will establish a strong, work-ready understanding of Java and be positioned to start their career as an entry-level Java developer.

• Adrean O'Halloran • Digital Analyst • Graduate

I'm an alumni from the September bootcamp 2018.

Ultimately the goal of these bootcamps is to find a job post bootcamp - mission accomplished. I think that most of my Front-End cohort are in the same position just a few weeks after the bootcamp.

The coursework can be pretty difficult at times but if you put in the effort you will do well. The precourse work is a small precursor for what to expect. I'd recommend coming prepared to the class. Maybe do a Udemy course or FreeCodeCamp work.

The stimulus was matched to much of the greater Detroit market and up to date with the industry. This was one of my biggest concerns but there is a flow and a progression to the course work from the ground up.

There's much more to Grand Circus than just work in a class room. There's a real emphasis on soft-skills and a structured method to get you in your first job. There's some real talented people guiding you along the journey. Just like with your class work you're going to put in the hard work yourself. The school's network opened up the potential to meet with employers. This led to the vast majority of my employment leads.

Would recommend for motivated folks.

• Cam Couch  User Photo
    Cam Couch • Implementation Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am 30, I hold a bachelors in business, and have +10 years of management experience.

I coded as a hobby, and believed that I could make a living doing it.

Grand Circus was an amazing experience. It felt like a great work/learning environment, mixed in with a group of learners from different backgrounds that you quickly become close with.

If you are making the financial investment, ensure that you are ready to do what needs to be done to succeed. Slacking shouldn’t be in your vocabulary. You can’t have a victim mentality.

My instructor and TA were very down to earth and helpful. The rest of the staff provide a comfortable atmosphere and a home away from home.

In my experience, no entry level positions were looking for AngularJS experience, so I do hope that the curriculum adjusts to React/Vue/Angular 7 quickly. I know my instructor was making the case for adding A7 to the main curriculum.

I was able to find meaningful employment within 3 weeks of graduating from the Front End bootcamp.

I do recommend looking at what jobs are most plentiful, mixed in with what you actually want to do for work. You don’t want to go on a learning path that won’t be fruitful.

Words of wisdom. Be engaged, be early, swallow your pride, prep your loved ones, do meaningful job research, practice self efficacy, CODE CODE CODE.

• Kristy  User Photo
    Kristy • Software Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Going to Grand Circus was one of the best choices I have made in my adult life. I went from staying at home with my kids to working as a software developer. I attended the after hours .Net/C# program.

The classes were excellent and prepared me for my first job. Our instructor worked as a senior architect during the day, so he knew what was going on in industry and expected a lot of us. There is a lot of work required outside classroom hours and a lot of independent research needed. GC will help you, but students had to really put the effort in to succeed.

The biggest positive about GC is the career network. There are a ton of alumni who want to help and career services actively goes out and talks to employers about the program and students. I actually got my first position through a connection I made there.

I'd highly recommend going to check out the school or talking to alumni, it was a great move for me.

• Software Developer
    - 3/11/2019
    Gabrielle Blackman  User Photo
    Gabrielle Blackman • Cloud System Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had an awesome experience with Grand Circus Detroit. I attended and graduated from the Java Bootcamp in September 2017. My teacher was Peter Guenther and my TA Alexandra Born were awesome in helping with understanding core Java principles and with working with me on projects. I came to Grand Circus with minimal front-end experience and they pushed me to have an open mindset to challenge myself to become a back-end developer.  Grand Circus gives you all the soft skills you need to achieve any job in Software Development. Cody Grant was awesome with his job skill trainings and giving different approaches with interviews. My program manager Charlene Donelson was one of the most awesome, dynamic people I worked with and she encourages you that no matter what, YOU CAN achieve anything you want with dedication.  Last but not least Kim Driscoll our Director of Learning was full of life and great energy to help you through those long days of learning and coding!!! In Conclusion, I LOVE GRAND CIRCUS!!! GC MADE ME WHO I AM TODAY!!

• Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had a fantastic experience with Grand Circus. I completed the Java full-time bootcamp in 2018. If you’re looking to make a career change, GC can make it happen. I had little coding experience going in (had been through a few online tutorials), but the curriculum at GC is designed to give you everything you need, not just to learn how to code, but how to handle the emotional ups and downs, and how to eventually find a job. For me personally, it was a lot of hard work, but absolutely worth it.

Some details: The instructors are great! They are friendly, supportive, work really hard, and are great at what they do. The staff is welcoming and fun. GC felt like more than just a class, it’s a community you can become a part of. It’s also great to belong to a cohort of students, a chance to meet lots of good people and form friendships, and be able to learn from each other.

In addition to programming skills, GC offers additional guidance, including how to find the right jobs, how to apply, and how to interview. GC has a great asset in Cody Grant, who was really helpful with all of these essential extra-curriculars. They bring in employers for you to meet and host events where you can meet alumni. GC is a community with a lot of knowledge and a lot of enthusiasm, and you just have to remember to take advantage of it. This is the kind of thing where you get out what you put in. There are a good deal of resources made available to you, but you have to be active, take ownership of your education and your career transition.

The experience can be intense, intellectually and emotionally. For me, it was long hours, and I was fortunate to have a spouse who supported me. You learn a lot in a short amount of time. You really need to have a growth mindset, be able to endure those moments of self-doubt and feeling totally lost, and be able to keep going. And then you’ll surprise yourself, you will push through, and you’ll feel amazing.

The time-to-employment part varies, and depends on luck and timing and finding the right fit, but that’s the case with any endeavor. I was able to get a job about 6 weeks after camp ended, and not just any job, but a job that I love. To me, that’s remarkable, and I feel grateful to everyone at GC for making it happen.

• Zaineb  User Photo
    Zaineb • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I loved every aspect of my Bootcamp experience, and would recommend Grand Circus to anyone who has interest in software development. Everyone on the Grand Circus staff team is amazing at their job. They are incredibly passionate, knowledgeable, and supportive. They are always looking out for their students best interest,  and they treat you like family.

The instructors and teaching assistants are extremely knowledgeable and willing to help all students to reach their goals.

In addition to the technical training, we had soft skills training helped us to create a better resume, LinkedIn and improve our interview skills.

I liked the weekly surveies they gave us, and how they take actions on the feedback they recieve. They always enhance the program for the best results for the students.

The Bootcamp was a wonderful experience, and I am so glad I did it. I'll start my new job on Monday!

• James Jackson  User Photo
    James Jackson • Jr Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Hey, my name is James Jackson, I graduated the q1 full-time asp.net boot camp and I just wanted to share my experience.  first of all, I came into this boot camp with plenty of programming knowledge, I taught myself front-end technologies for the past 6 months before joining this boot camp.  that being said I still felt like on the education front, my teacher did a good job keeping me challenged.  we would start the day 9 am, do some class code review then learn a new topic then we were pretty much left to code and talk about our code the next day.

Personally, the most challenging part of the boot camp for was the soft skills, so on one side we had technical, where we would learn to code and improve our skills, and on the other, soft skills.  So soft skills are just the idea of being able to communicate effectively with your teammates/co-workers and well anyone really. We also learned how to market ourselves as professional developers and mingle at meet up events.  This was difficult because coming into this boot camp I was pretty new to this whole shmoozing world.  Overall this part was challenging, but they gave me the skills I needed to land a job after the boot camp.  I start my first job as a jr intern developer at Quicken Loans April 23rd, 2018 and honestly, I owe to the opportunity offered by Grand Circus.

• Alex  User Photo
    Alex • Mobile Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Grand Circus was an incredible experience where I picked up innumerable technical and life skills. The crew at Grand Circus go over and beyond to make sure that you feel comfortable with the material you're learning and provide every thing you may need to be successful in finding your future job.

In addition to the technical training, we also had Soft Skills seminars where we took the time to learn how to present ourselves as practicing professionals covering topics such as linkedin, interviews, resumes, and writing the perfect email.

The most benefical part about Grand Circus was the amount of resources available to us. While we had incredible teachers, great peers to work with, and access to coding meetups in the building, the people at Grand Circus were more than helpful, post-bootcamp and during, to check-in on our job search and forge any connections with potential employers.

I would most definitely reccommend Grand Circus to anyone considering a change.

• Hilary  User Photo
    Hilary • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Grand Circus was one of the biggest leaps I have taken but well worth it! At Grand Circus I found a great environment and support group that wanted to see me succeed. The course work was hard and relevant but pushed you to learn how to code and think like a developer. I am so happy with my new career! I am able to be creative and use my problem solving skills I gained from my Fine-Arts Degree and bridge the gap between developers and designers. Without Grand Circus's curriculum, job assistants and great support I would not be where I am today. THANK YOU GRAND CIRCUS! P.S. Detroit is growing and Grand Circus is a great place to be apart of Detroit's growth.

• Jenna   User Photo
    Jenna • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended the October 2017 Java Bootcamp. I have a computer science degree, but I had been working IT and wanted to switch to software dev.

My teachers were great: friendly, patient and knowledgeable. GC creates a culture where you feel like you can suceed, which honestly in tech, is 75% of it. If you show up and do everything they are asking, give 105%, you will get a job. If you don't have a math or computer science or technical background, you will study outside of school, or stay late. They have plenty of resources to help you. You absolutely can do it, you have a work a little.

I am also amazed at the community I have become apart of beyond Grand Circus through meetups and networking. This was a wonderful experience and I am glad I did it. I have a job and I start on Monday!

• Java Bootcamp Grad
    - 1/12/2018
    Trina Chowdhury   User Photo
    Trina Chowdhury • Junior Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

If you’re curious about a job in tech, CHOOSE GRAND CIRCUS. I’ve learned so much from my instructors and peers, and have made lifelong friends as well. I went from HATING my job in sales to a junior software developer within months of graduating, and the coolest part about this is the fact that I didn’t know how to write a single line of code prior to GC - and now I work for a very reputable company in Metro Detroit as a developer. Enroll in one of their programs. It’s worth it.

• CHUCK KNEBL  User Photo
    CHUCK KNEBL • Marketing Coordinator • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

"Sometimes it's the journey that teaches you a lot about your destination."  That is a reflection by Drake, the musician, that I found superbly sums up my experiences at a 10-week Grand Circus .Net (C#) bootcamp in Grand Rapids, Michigan, which convened on a full-time basis from March to May 2017.

Let’s begin by briefly highlighting the circumstances that spurred me to attend the bootcamp.   A career shift to backend coding was on the horizon for me after 32 years in the workforce as a writer and journalist, a stint of self-employment as a consulting web developer/marketer, a webmaster for an agricultural engineering association, and as a webmaster as well as communications manager for a nonprofit workforce-development organization.  My progress on this track was derailed in mid-2016 when my communications post was axed in a budget cut; thus, I began a year-long stint of unemployment.

During this period, I discovered a couple of gigantic themes about being jobless:  first, the circumstances drained my self-confidence; and, additionally, the situation compelled me to wrap my head around my complete lack of control over the job elimination I’d endured.   Both of these themes self-confidence and gaining a feeling of control played prominent roles in my Grand Circus experiences, as I’ll discuss shortly.

The bootcamp was rigorous in terms of the amount and complexity of new information presented in lectures, coding exercises (both solo and team-based), voluminous reading and, finally, in the pace of networking events and job-seeking activities.  All told, the experiences were like attempting to drink from a firehose!

I decided early to make a strong effort and invest lots of energy in the bootcamp, and there was a point during week six when concepts and coding exercises crystallized for me.  At this juncture, with new information and coding practices beginning to dovetail and make sense -- my confidence soared and I was heartened to see positive results produced by taking control and making a strong effort.

In addition to lots of reading and lab work, I got to know Visual Studio 2015 as well as how to frame coding questions for Google searches.  I invested plenty of time using Github to post and get code.

The strengths of the Grand Circus bootcamp I attended far outweighed the weaknesses, of which I found only one.  On the strength side of the ledger would be my interactions with Grand Circus staff members, who were knowledgeable and good communicators.  The instructor, Tommy Waalkes, was excellent in large part because he evolved from being tentative at the beginning to delivering solid, well prepared lectures after a couple weeks.  Tommy was well versed in the material and regularly delivered thoughtful, practical instruction.

In addition, he wisely used the Socratic method of asking questions of me when I needed help with a coding problem, thereby nudging me to come up with a workable answer.  Tommy’s method was acutely beneficial in helping me to see how various aspects of C# and .NET linked together, thereby empowering me to make big strides forward to complete the bootcamp.

Another strength I found was the emphasis of Grand Circus on encouraging bootcampers to network extensively, and the laser focus by Grand Circus on job-hunting abilities (from resume writing, to learning vital soft skills, to polishing your LinkedIn profile) was wonderful.

The lone weakness I’d like to report is that the physical space in Grand Rapids was a bit too small for a class of 10 students, two instructors and associated equipment.  The setting was too cramped at times.

My chief goal in attending the bootcamp was to secure employment.  I’m very excited to have started a new job in August 2017 and while it is not in coding or technology (I’m working in business-to-business (B2B) marketing for a parent operating group that runs several caster and wheel manufacturing companies), the bootcamp experiences contributed immensely to my landing this position.  How so?

By successfully completing the rigors of the Grand Circus C# .NET bootcamp, my confidence received such an enormous boost that I performed extremely well in the job interviews.  I was relaxed, made good eye contact, communicated well, provided thoughtful yet concise answers and confidently promoted myself as fully capable of accomplishing all duties of the B2B marketing job.

Thus, I found that my journey through the challenging yet superb Grand Circus bootcamp taught me much about myself – and helped enormously in reaching my current destination!

• Zalika Ockleberry  User Photo
    Zalika Ockleberry • UX Technolgist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated Grand Circus last year, full time for 2 months. I was also apart of one of grand circus's free bootcamps. We were promised if we worked hard, we would get interveiws. When it came time after graduation, we were given an excuse and told they would keep up updated. We did not hear from our program organizer until she found HER new job. 3 months later, there's a new cohort of fools like us who had interveiws afterwards. Our cohort not getting interveiws was a "fluke" according to the staff when I revisted, but other cohorts would. I ran dry my savings after going here, for nothing but very basic knowledge and disrespectful, condescending attitudes from people who aren't very diverse. The only reason I HAVE a tech job because I had to enter another program with a better cirriculum and onsite job training. I hear their paid bootcamps are better since they treat them like people instead of the way they treated us, so go here at your ow risk.

• Why Not?!
    - 3/11/2019
    Tremell Lowell • UX Designer • Graduate

Before Grand Circus I was a pretty successful Hospitality manager. I left hospitality for a tech career because I wanted a change that would be useful in the future and would give me the option to freelance. I quit my job and walked into Front End bootcamp. Its called bootcamp for a reason and its worth all of it. I could barley write a line of code before walking into the doors of GC now I'm working in design at IBM.

• Carl Jones III • Graduate

My time spent in the java cohort ended with not only the training in developing software ranging from simple utilities to web applications, but also a skillset to network myself in the it/software industry. The fundamental teachings of these skills also left me able to grow and adapt to the changes in these techniques and practices over time which has also led to a continuous growth of my network of professionals. If you are hardworking and can take the time outside of class to study the concepts or even better, a self teacher. This is one of the greatest institutions of its kind to solidify your skills and make the right connection with a recruiter to begin or elevate your career!!!

• Derien Stephens • Software Developer • Graduate
    I was a part of the December 2018 Java bootcamp and now currently work as a software developer - I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend Grand Circus. Excellent preparation/learning environment!
  • Amanda • Software Developer • Graduate

Prior to bootcamp, I used a computer for such activities as buying things on Amazon and watching videos on YouTube. Obviously, I knew little about development when I started this bootcamp. I didn't know if I'd even like development, but I was determined to start a new career. In 10 weeks Grand Circus packed into my brain everything that I needed to switch my career to something I truly enjoy.

Grand Circus doesn't just take anyone - they make sure that you are prepared to enter a coding bootcamp. They spend the time providing you the tools you will need to succeed as a developer. They teach you the core concepts of the language. They teach you how to think and solve problems. They show you multiple ways to solve the same problem. They teach you how to look things up on Stack Overflow to find a solution (because you are not the first person with that question). The class sizes are small so you can ask your questions. They appropriately plan their courses with enough time to stop and thoroughly answer questions. They will go over the same piece of information until you and all your classmates understand it.

As if attending a bootcamp with such a well executed program wasn't enough, it's the people that really make it. Think of the staff like your friends teaching you something new. They make jokes with you and you get to know each other through out the course. They make becoming a developer relatable. Then the staff treats you like family when you come back. Because you will go back. Your class becomes your network. Even the classes learning other languages becomes part of your network. I still talk to the people that went through my bootcamp, as friends and for help. You can show up for help with what youre working on, you can ask them for resources and they will hook you up. They help you search for and prepare for jobs. They genuinely want you to succeed, and you can tell they actually want to help.

I had no idea what to expect going into this, but I would say it was totally worth it.

• Jr. Developer
    - 2/7/2019
    Bryan Hallman • Jr. Developer • Graduate

I am a December 2018 graduate from the full time Java Bootcamp at Grand Circus. Overall, I had a very good experience during my time at the school. The program is very challenging, but my instructor and assistant were very knowledgeable, and the staff was completely supportive. I have recently started a position as a Junior Developer with a company that frequently hires Grand Circus graduates, and am getting the opportunity to continue to build my skills in the material that I learned in the full time program. I would recommend a Grand Circus bootcamp to an interested student, but only if they are prepared to make a strong committment to the educational effort. The programs are very challenging. The students will be expected to take responsibility for their education and their own success. If a prospective student is passionate about coding, and is willing to take on the rigorous demands of the school's program, they will be well positioned to make a career change to technology, and I would recommend for them to evaluate/consider the Grand Circus program.

• Frankie Ma • Graduate

I graduated in June 2018 from the Front-End Development Bootcamp at Grand Circus. The curriculum was challenging, and I enjoyed the growth I experienced throughout the course! You get hands on experience building projects that are very practical and fun. My cohort was exceptional! I would advise collaborating and being open to feedback, it makes a world of difference.

I was exposed to the company I recently accepted a job from through an employer info-session at Grand Circus!

• Tim H • Web Developer • Student

I've completed two bootcamps at Grand Circus, which basically says all there is to say about my experience, but in case you're hangry for a side of details:

Grand Circus' instructors are competent, friendly, and very helpful. The curriculum covers all the relevant skills and tools you'll use on the job (I've been a web developer for 2+ years). The course, as a whole, is a crazy value proposition; you receive a mountain of instructional hours, great soft-skills (interview prep, networking, etc.) training, and a network that rivals earning a master's from a university for a tenth (or less) of the price.

But, it is important to remember that a bootcamp is not a silver bullet. Unless you are a literal clone of Jeff Bezos, no one is just going to hand you a job because you can put 'Developer' on your resume. A bootcamp will turn you into a (hire-able) little sapling of a developer, but the responsibility for finding your first job and growing into a big, beautiful oak tree of a coder lies with you. Don't be scared though, little code padawan, because Grand Circus prepares you to be a lifelong learner (Hey there, Stack Overflow), which is arguably the most important skill a developer can have.

So, if you're ready to go on a little adventure, be your own champion, and put in the work—definitely enroll in a bootcamp. Anyone can learn to code, it's just a skillset, and being a developer is an insanely rewarding career for anybody that likes to solve problems, build things, and continually be learning.

(P.S. - The Unity3D VR/AR bootcamp was my second course here—equally great experience—I’m just not sure whether they’re planning to offer it again)

• Kevin Naughton • Front End Developer • Graduate

Future Grand Circus Students,

I am an alumni of the Grand Circus Front End Coding Bootcamp from June to August 2017. I attended Grand Circus to learn software development and was also hoping to transition into a new career. I was ready to make a switch after working in education as a math teacher for ten years. Attending Grand Circus was hands down one of the best personal and professional decisions I’ve made to date!

The entire Grand Circus staff, top to bottom, is wonderful. The instructors and teaching assistants are extremely knowledgeable and willing to help all students master the content. In addition, Grand Circus has employees in roles designated to provide an extensive amount of soft skills training, resume refining, and interview support to each of their students.

Since graduating from bootcamp I have transitioned into a full-time position as a Front End Developer and I have seen first hand that the curriculum at Grand Circus is relevant and aligned to the work that is being done in the field. I highly suggest attending one of Grand Circuses Bootcamps if you are looking to make a career change like I was!

• Samuel Bernardy • VoC Software Implementation Engineer • Graduate

Honestly, I don't think I have a single thing to complain about. I loved my time at Grand Circus. I left with more friends than I went in with, I learned invaluable skills that directly got me hired after the course, and it got me to fall back in love with learning. I'm more productive than I've ever been and it's because my time in Grand Circus tought me to consistently strive for more. Beside the wealth of technical skills I gained, Grand Circus also helped me be a more effective leader and team member.

After graduating, I was offered a salary that exceeded my last wage by 30% and I love where I am now. The staff at GC knows exactly how to bring you into the workforce and help you find your happy place. I found mine and I can't thank them enough.

• Sarah T. Cummings • Front-End Developer/Designer • Graduate

Before entering this program, I was a Higher Education professional with an M.Ed specializing in educating adults. I'm familiar with the best practices for long-term gains in learning, current research in the brain science behind education and the co-curricular programming that makes a school work. After a decade and a half in higher education, I was consistently suprised, impressed and inspired by the educational community at Grand Circus. It has been the best learning experience in my adult life. For real.

Here's why they are so good:

1. They regularly solicit feedback and they take action on the feedback they recieve. This means the program is always improving, always being tweaked to get the best results for their students.
    2. The program educates you as a whole person. Going to a bootcamp isn't just about learning code. It's about pivoting your career, being brave in a new industry, demonstrating confidence, resiliiance and a wilingness to learn. You recieve ample support on these adjacent skills.
    3. The career support is unparralled. Grand Circus builds relationships with companies and alumni for on-site interviews, insight on how to build their programs and even first shot at job openings before the job is publicly listed (which is how I got my job).
    4. The teachers are dedicated to your learning and smart as heck. They all also have several years industry experience.
    5. The community is welcoming, for everyone. Let's be real, no matter what the bootcamp is going to be exhausting and challenging. But it makes it soooooo much easier to perservere when there is a spirit of camraderie and you can be comfortable to be yourself.

I'm not really sure if this site will publish my name, but if it does, feel free to find my info on the alumni profiles on GC, I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

• Life changing
    - 1/22/2018
    Kyle Apsey • Front end developer • Graduate

My time at Grand Circus was so much better than I could have anticipated.  I was given support before the course preparing, during and after for material surrounding the course as well as job assistance and soft skills that have been instrumental in my success finding a perfectly fitting job placement as a developer.

• Java Bootcamp
    - 1/19/2018
    Joe • Student
    I took the Java Bootcamp with Grand Circus in August. Antonella is a great instructor and is very calm and collective even when helping students who don't pay attention and ask a question she just got done answering. I pick up on things very easily. The first 5 weeks were not difficult to me. The last 3 were a little more so. But as time went by, picking up the more difficult tasks became easier. I had no coding background prior to GC. But I will say there were some people that struggled a lot with learning new concepts. I just got offered a position after being done with school for a full month. I will say it wasn't easy. Most employers are looking for someone with at least 3 years of experience for an entry level role. And most want a 4 year degree. I applied to over 100 companies. Granted, a lot of that was during the holiday times and it honestly seemed like no one was hiring or given responses to applicants during that time at all. My biggest advice I can give if you decide to go through a bootcamp, is to have perseverance. If that isn't a quality you have, it may not be for you. The only companies I actually got interviews with, were companies I personally reached out to by phone call, message on LinkedIn or networking events.
  • Ashlei Jones

I can't speak for the tution-based program, but the 'free'/sponsored program was not good at all. I am actually very convinced that we received less the experieced instructors (which I believe ultimately led to many student downfalls).

I joined GC in Fall of 2016 with 20-something other individuals. Most of us came in with little-to-no experience and relied heavily on guidance from our instructors. I very quickly realized that this was not a great option, as our instructors often proved they were not experienced enough to handle all of our errors. And when I say that, I don't mean that they didn't know how to solve the problems (as they were very experienced in code itself)-- they were just terrible at teaching code to beginners.

I opted to learn via Google and found myself at the top of the class and a lot farther along than anyone at GC has ever helped me. If you go into this program, be prepared to work and learn as independently as possible.