devpoint-labs-logo

DevPoint Labs

Las Vegas, Provo, Salt Lake City

DevPoint Labs

DevPoint Labs teaches 11-week full-time and 11-week part-time full stack web development coding bootcamps in Salt Lake City, Utah, and Las Vegas, Nevada. The full-time class is part of the University of Utah Professional Education school, and covers HTML, CSS, Ruby on Rails, SQL, JavaScript, React, Redux, and more. The part-time class is available at the DevPoint Labs Salt Lake City campus and at the University of Nevada, and covers a very similar curriculum. DevPoint Labs' approach to learning combines pair programming with traditional lectures and a mix of group projects, lean methodologies, hackathons and one-on-one mentorship from instructors.

DevPoint Labs is aimed at students with little to moderate experience in web development. To apply, candidates fill out the short application on the website, then chat with a staff member about their motivations. Once accepted students will need to complete pre-work before the first day of class.

Leading up to graduation, DevPoint Labs prepares students for finding a job with mock interviews, workshops, guest speakers, and a Launch Day to showcase their projects to potential employers. Full-time students at the University of Utah Professional Education program will receive a completion certificate. Part-time students at the University of Nevada will receive a UNLV Continuing Education certificate.

DevPoint Labs offers student housing to all out-of-state students on a first come, first serve basis. The house is located less than a mile from the campus, and comes furnished with all utilities paid for the duration of the camp.

Recent DevPoint Labs Reviews: Rating 4.86

all (120) reviews for DevPoint Labs →

Recent DevPoint Labs News

Read all (25) articles about DevPoint Labs →
  • Part-time Web Development

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Salt Lake City
    This course puts a heavy focus on JavaScript, React, and front-end web development. We are one of the nation's highest reviewed program in accelerated web development with emphasis in the most desired and growing skills like javascript, react.js, git, mongodb, react native and more in web development. Even though the course is part-time, the pace is rigorous (bootcamp for a reason) and only for the motivated individuals that wants to gain skills that will add value to their career and life. Our campus is at Church & State co-working, a collaborative environment for students to get their CODE ON before and after class. Taught by industry experts, you'll learn from passionate instructors co-instructors, and TA's who are contributors & leaders in the development community. DevPoint Labs is unmatched in the nation when it comes to student experience, value, community, and advanced curriculum.
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union
    Women In Tech Scholarship & Opportunity in Tech Scholarship
    Basic computer knowledge
  • UNLV Part-time Web Development Coding Bootcamp

MongoDB, HTML, Git, PHP, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, Xcode, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Front End, Ruby, MVC, Agile
    Las Vegas
    Partnered with University of Nevada, Las Vegas - DevPoint Labs is powering a part-time web development coding bootcamp. This 24-week program is geared towards working individuals with a flexible schedule of nights and weekends. Learn from one of the top coding programs in the nation in the latest web development technologies and tools. Curated curriculum will cover full-stack web development.
    Student Loans through MACU
  • U of U ProEd Full-time Web Development

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Ruby
    Rolling Start Date
    Salt Lake City
    In today's digital economy, coding skills are the most demanded across all types of careers and professions. Forbes and LinkedIn noted that those with full-stack web development skills dominate the pay scale and employer desirability. University of Utah Professional Education is excited to bring our students a full-time Web Development Certificate Program, powered by DevPoint Labs. DevPoint Labs was founded by University of Utah graduates as the first full-stack web development program in the state. This course will be held at the DevPoint Lab's Campus in downtown Salt Lake City, located in Church & State Co-working. This full-time, intensive program creates proficiency in back-end and front-end web development through hands on training. Learn multiple programming languages and programs centered around web development like HTML, CSS, Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, ReactJS, React Native, Git and more. https://devpointlabs.continue.utah.edu
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union
    Women In Tech & Opportunity In Tech Scholarships available.
    Basic computer knowledge GED or Equivalent
  • User Experience Design

HTML, User Experience Design, CSS
    Salt Lake City
    *THIS COURSE IS CURRENTLY NOT OFFERED* Being able to express design ideas by utilizing sitemaps, user flows, and wireframes is a skill that is in increasingly high demand, and a requirement for any serious career in interactive design or product management. In this course, you’ll receive knowledge and skills in topics like: how to analyze business and usability requirements from a user perspective, drawing solutions with Sketch and best practices for common design patterns such as home pages, forms, search and navigation.
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union
    Basic computer knowledge & some design experience.

• Yurie Lorange  User Photo
    Yurie Lorange • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

DevPoint Labs' instructors and staff are dedicated to your success in every way. The React, JavaScript, Ruby on Rails stack is a good entry point into the world of web development, and the instructors are always researching new and exciting ways to implement new libraries and technologies. Definitely recommend this bootcamp.

• Part Time Bootcamp
    - 9/10/2019
    Kristoffer Keene  User Photo
    Kristoffer Keene • Customer Success Manager • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I completed another bootcamp previous to this one, and thoroughly enjoyed this program more.  The instructor and TA were exceptional, very friendly and willing to help you solve your problems (both big and small debugging), including before and after class.  I especially appreciate the community that DPL provides, you really feel like you're part of something.  But most importantly the content and course structure was very organized and I'm excited that I can add Ruby on Rails and React to my resume, among other new skills.

• Serena  User Photo
    Serena • Student Verified via GitHub

I made a decision to change my career when I moved to the States. My law degree wasn't worth much until I am able to spend a couple hundred thousand dollars in a Master degree and I would still need to move to another state (and I love Utah).

With so many resources online, I was kinda lost. I was wasting my time trying to figure what everyone thought it was the best material to study and everyone had a different opinion about it. Also, it was difficult to find how applicable was the material towards a project. I researched about the coding bootcamps across the country and applied for scholarships where I could.

I got accepted here and it was my first choice because I know a lot of people who graduated from Devpoint Labs and was able to find a job and work as kick-ass developers, including where I work at. I also liked the fact every day we are focused on learning and applying on a small project that we would need to finish by the next morning. Being able to finish small projects like that was super rewarding and kept me motivated every day. Tinkering and being able to think through was one of the biggest lessons that I've learned and obviously never give up! We also did bigger group projects where it took a couple of days or even weeks that we had to finish as well. WE LEARNED SOOO MUCH!

For everyone out there trying to learn this new skill, I would definitely recommend a bootcamp. Not any bootcamp, Devpoint was the best choice when I did my research.

First, bootcamp might be expensive at first but it saves time when it comes to learning. Instead studying by yourself, you are maximizing your time and being able to apply on the market faster and do the math *(you are able to have a return on your investment quicker). They teach you what the companies are using out there and guide you through so many technologies. Keeps you motivated and it is a great resource for networking. Second, I chose Devpoint because I went ahead and ask people who actually are developers and graduated from the bootcamp. They all said it was the best first step to the right direction. Some mentioned having bad experiences with other bootcamps. I actually never met anyone from my network that graduated from other bootcamps, this isn't a good sign when I am surrounded by developers at work. Do your research, find people on linkedin and start a conversation. I loved Devpoint Labs because my peers were actually my peers. There was a sense of comradery where we were always helping each other before going to a TA.

I highly recommend for those who are thinking about applying. Be involved, research and prepare for an intense bootcamp, but so rewarding.

• Peter Chung  User Photo
    Peter Chung • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had been searching coding bootcamps all over the valley and doing my research while working night shfits as a bartender downtown. I started with V school and was halfway getting ready to start with my foot already in the door, when i realized how unorganized it seemed there. This might've been just a one off, but for me my experience was more important than any other review i read about the place. I set up an appt with Mark Price and he was wonderful, going over the campus and the curriculum and what to expect, i was sold. Even waited 3 additional months to start.

This was one of the most intense, yet rewarding experiences of my life. I only knew what i knew from freecodecamp and codecademy, but the tutorials rarely have you build an application with the content that you learn unless you are paying for the classes. I knew i needed something structured and also needed to know where the bar would be set in order to be confident to go out there and apply for software engineer positions. Devpoint Labs provided all of that.The structure, working collaboratively in group settings (how a professional setting would be very similar to), building projects and getting the hands on assistance that i would not have seen otherwise online.

I highly recommend this bootcamp, as i do believe the accredidation with the University of Utah does provide the crediability to go to an employer and show them its not just any coding bootcamp. You will realize just how much you will need to know, but if you have the desire to learn and absorb, this will be a good thing because the direction you want to go will seem much clearer.

Study on your free time and redo the assignments over and over until you feel comfortable with the content. This is one thing i regret not doing enough of and because of the pace of the course, it will be pertinent to your success.

The review i saw below titled "you will not get a job" was interesting to me. That is true that this course will not automatically get you a job. YOU yourself will be responsible for getting that job, nobody can do that for you, and if you put in the work and have the desire to pursue this as a career, YOU will get a job. I recieved a ton of "We will be moving on with another candidate" emails, more than i could count, but i also just recieved an offer letter for my first Software Engineering position and accepted. There's no way i wouldve gotten a call/interview without the skills and certificate i recieved from Devpoint Labs.

• Willard Cron  User Photo
    Willard Cron • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I took the Full-Time Web Development Summer 2019 Course at DevPoint Labs. This course is perfect for a person looking for an intesive immersion program that is willing to commit most (if not all) of their freetime to making a major pivot in their career.

Key words: INTENSE & IMMERSION

I came in as a hobbyist with a background in Online Banking and Software support. I was tired of passing my clients over to the IT/HelpDesk to resolve issues I KNEW I could resolve given the resources. I looked at other bootcamps; DevPoint Labs spoke to me because of the affiliation to the University of Utah (as well as the reputation of the program), and its Full-Stack curriculum. This 11-Week program puts you THROUGH IT, it is full of peaks and valleys of accomplishments and challenges. The course exposes you to the numerous paths that you may take on your journey as a developer. As a student, you get what you give in this course. It teaches you to trust yourself, to know when to ask for help, and practical technical skills for your career.

I recommend this course for those serious about a career change and encourage you to use all resources offered by the staff! That meaning, utilize the TA's when you cant figure out an error message, use the lab time to ask other students their methods, involve yourself online through the slack channels, re-do assignments or the pre-course work and eat a bowl of cereal! The course is rich with information, it is difficult, and fully worth the time, money and effort required.

• Dylan Taft  User Photo
    Dylan Taft • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Was a great course. I highly recommend this course to anyone whether you have experience or not. I came into this course with some experience and the course did wonders for my coding knowledge. Curriculum is full stack, meaning you learn front end and back end application development. The curriculum includes a lot of things that are popular in the professional world. I went into this course with a fairly weak resume, and now I am getting noticed by employers. If you are a complete beginner, there is some short prepwork you have to complete before starting, which will get you up to speed. Instructors are very patient and helpful. Be prepared to work and lean fast, and remember, you only get back what you put in work wise. Great Course!

• Liv  User Photo
    Liv • Cella • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I went into DPL with a handful of coding courses under my belt, but what I felt was a complete lack of understanding in coding. I prepared for what I thought would be an extremely rigorous and difficult 3 months for me.

To my surprise, I excelled at DPL. The instructors were fantastic. Any question I had was answered, but not in a way that just spoon-fed me the answer. I learned how to research, how to find my own answers, how to critically think my way through code, and how to ask for help when I really did need it. This was critical for me.

The curriculum covered exactly what it needed to. I knew enough JS coming out of the camp to work on web apps, I knew enough Ruby to start scripting, and I knew enough ReactJS to continue my education on my own.

Honestly, coming out of DevPoint, I did not feel ready for a development job. I thought for sure no one would hire me and that I would take another year or two of self-study before I was taken seriously as a developer.

How wrong I was. Within a month of graduation, I found myself writing scripts for a major tech company and learning entirely new languages. My education was that good. Though I did not know the language starting out, I was able to pick it up quickly and efficiently. I was able to think my way through problems and that was what made me a valuable part of an engineering team. Though I am now in SalesForce development, DPL was what jump-started my career.

It was absolutley worth it.

• Heather Garbe  User Photo
    Heather Garbe • QA Engineer - MX • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

What an amazing journey and experience, I learned so much during my time at DevPoint Labs! I started with some basic knowledge and with the the assistance of the intense course curriculum and the incredible staff, instructor and TA’s, I was able to build an amazing foundation and understanding of programming. I am very excited for the new and life changing opportunities ahead! I would recommend DevPoint Labs to anyone who is considering attending a coding bootcamp.

• Evan  User Photo
    Evan • Application Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I personally had some programming experience in other non-web languages as well as quite a bit of experience in teaching and tutoring STEM subjects before heading into DevPoint's full-stack bootcamp and found that it was extremely well run. When learning how to program, having the ability to get help quickly makes a big difference, and the teachers and TAs at DevPoint were pretty much always available to jump in and help.

The "I do, we do, you do" learning philosophy they use also really helped me quickly get a feel for the concepts, and then they provide many bonus objectives on every assignment to test and push your understanding without fear of failing.

Overall, I have already recommended this program to several friends and would recommend it as a great way to build your own foundation in coding, from which to propel you into a fast-moving and exciting career.

• Nicholas Dyer  User Photo
    Nicholas Dyer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

As a recent graduate from DevPoint Labs, I have nothing but respect for their incredible program. Not only was the curriculum extensive and very well taught, the people I was able to meet through this program were always helpful and very kind. I would recommend DevPoint for anyone looking to improve their development skills, or get their foot in the door of the development industry.

• Dan  User Photo
    Dan • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I graduated from DevPoint Labs in January '18, and just over a year later it's proven to be one of the best decisions I have ever made in my career. The DPL fulltime full stack course offers quality, relevant content and tons of hands on experience and mentorship over the course of an intensive 11 weeks.

As with any course like this what you will get out of it is entirely dependent on what you put into it. A DevPoint Labs education isn't something you get, its something you do. If you take this course seriously and work you ass off, the staff at DPL will go above and beyond to help you succeed.

• Dirk Dobson  User Photo
    Dirk Dobson • Musician at Holland America Line • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

As of writing this 4 out of 25 people  in my cohort got a job after graduating. Two more people got jobs as TAs but I don't believe being a TA leads to getting a job in the real world and it only pays $50 a day. My source is our alumni slack channel and Linkedin. 3 of the 4 had previous experience with programming and the 4th person got an internship. That is the reason I gave this course the score that I did. 4 out of 25 is less then 1 star  out of 5 and if you count the TAs 6 out of 25 still rounds down to 1 out of 5 stars.

In my opinion DevPointLabs is a scam. Not only do they not have any job assistance but they did not teach how to design websites for moblie. None of our launch day projects had any responsive design.

Response From: Nhi Doan of DevPoint Labs
    Title: Founder
    Friday, Feb 15 2019
    Hi Dirk,

We are sorry to hear about your current situation. I’d like to see if we can help, please reach out to me. nhi@devpointlabs.com

Job assistance in the course consisted of resume, LinkedIn, and various industry panels. You’re always welcome to come see us after the course if you need help while looking for a job. Our support is always open ongoing for alumni. You can drop in on any classes and personally meet with us to go over any issues you may have job prospecting. Please reach out so we can help
  • Daniel Bailey  User Photo
    Daniel Bailey • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

A little under 4 months ago, I was living in Birmingham, AL, working at a bank building boring reports for management and playing with Excel spreadsheets all day knowing I had no future here. I had always had an interest in software development and convinced my wife to move across country to pursue this career. I had spent the previous year or so getting myself familiar with basic web technologies such as HTML, CSS, Sass, JavaScript, and a little bit of Node JS (backend), but never truly had an understanding of it all and how it all worked together. But I knew that I had the drive and the passion to be in this industry if I could only completely immerse myself in the development enviroment surrounded by like minded individuals.

I applied to DPL for the winter cohort 2018, and got accepted a few weeks later after a few interviews and prep-work. That was it, getting accepted was my ticket out of Birmingham and my confirmation that it was my time to do something I truly believe I should be doing. I packed up, left Alabama with no regrets and headed for Salt Lake City with my wife and my doofus golden retreiver. The same week I arrived, living in Airbnb's until I found an apartment for my small family, I met with Nhi Doan (co-founder of DPL) for the opportunity in tech scholarship interview. A week later I got the email saying that I have been awarded the scholarship for the program, after showing Nhi my passion to be in this industry, and a few portfolio projects I had built prior to attending DPL. I have been asked several times why I attended DPL, if I had already had experience prior to attending, but the real answer is that I didn't have "true" experience. Sure, I had a few small projects that I had built with JavaScript, and even some React projects, but none of them were solid enough evidence I knew what the heck I was doing, or if I could even work with a team.

I had been applying and interviewing with companies all across the country prior to attending DPL, even for basic front end development positions, but every time a question came up such as, "Do you have any experience on the backend?", or "Have you ever had any experience on a dev team?" my answer was always "No". Each and every one of this interviews were followed by a rejection letter with the words, "sorry, we are looking for someone with a little more experience". I was always strong to enough to land an interview based on some of the projects that I built because my design/art background always made things look decent, but when I got in the weeds with an interviewer and they asked me to solve a simple algorithm counting vowels in a string, I would clam up and it would be over.

Prior to the start of class, I did my homework. When I say I did my homework, I mean I truly DID my homework. I spent several days if not weeks reviewing every single algorithm on free code camp. Dev Point doesn't directly focus on algorithms, but teaching your brain how to solve algorithms, by breaking them up piece by piece and learning to solve them programmatically will put you leaps and bounds ahead of your peers looking for jobs. Plus, knowing how to solve them in general, will make every programming language so much easier to learn, because you will start to learn patterns that appear in every single language. I'm not saying you can't make it through DPL, without being a professional at solving algorithms, I for one am still learning and I am still actually terrible at them, but I am 300% more confident in job interviews now, knowing what I know.

Attending Dev Point was the absolute best decision I have ever made in my professional and personal life. The instructors are fairly new but are absolutely capable of getting you where you need to be if you take the program seriously. You will hear this a million times, but the result you get out of the program will be a direct representation of the work that you put into this program. I didn't enter DPL expecting them to spoon feed me every single ounce of information or get upset when my instructor didn't know how to solve a problem I had. You learn to eventually talk yourself out of your own problems, sometimes I solved a problem just sitting next to an instructor like they had some kind of answer aura around them even though they didn't even have to say anything. Dev Point was an excellent fit for what I wanted out of a bootcamp. I knew coming in they were going to cover some topics, that I had already been exposed to, but that's ok. I knew it would just solidify what I already knew, plus maybe even touch on something I didn't even know was possible!

Dev Point did an excellent job structuring it's curriculum in such a way where everything compounds on what you learned the previous day. There were projects almost every single day, projects that not only reinforced topics covered in the lecture, but were amaing projects to showcase in interviews upon graduation to potential employers. We had two hackathons in our cohort, which if you haven't ever attended one, I highly recommend it. Plus, if you are in the Salt Lake City area, message Marc Price(admissions counselor) and tell him you want to sit in on a hackathon to see some of the amazing things students are able to put together in a few hours, after only learning how to program for a few weeks! Prior to attending (once I arrived in SLC from AL), I attended launch day, which is the program's graduation day, and the final hackathon from the prior cohort. It was an awesome experience and I got to meet some really awesome people who are still friends / contacts to this day, so I highly recommend it.

There are a few helpful tips to consider if you are planning on attending DPL that I would like to share:

1. Take this program seriously, and employers will take you seriously. The one thing I cannot stress enough to people is take this program seriously, SERIOUSLY. Dev Point will provide the structure for you to learn, and will even provide the tools to help you learn, but it is on you and YOU alone to actually learn what you are doing. They will provide projects every night to reinforce the lecture for the day, or even some additional resources online to continue to learn. Our cohort was over the Christmas break, and our instructor even provided a "12 days of coding" curriculum to keep us busy and coding during the break. There will be plenty of opportunities to learn and be pushed if you give yourself the opportunity.

2. Show your passion through every project that you build in class. Dev Point will assign a new project almost daily to help you build your skills through programming. You will never get where you need to be if you just worry about the lecture and the lecture alone. If you only focus on learning how to code and not on actually coding throughout the program it will show later on in the course when you are building projects with your peers, or even in an actual interview. Every project that is assigned to you take it seriously and treat it like you have been given a coding challenge from an employer, that has to be turned in the next day. Once you feel like you are "finished" with it, (it's never actually finished), think to yourself whether you would be proud to show this to an employer, if not keep at it. If you keep this mindset throughout the entirety of the program, you will have a plethora of amazing projects to stack your resume and your portfolio site.

3. Code, code ALOT. I have spoken at a few QA sessions for Dev Point Labs while I was a student and students always chuckle when I tell them I went to bed before 1 or 2 a.m. maybe a handful of times when I was in the cohort, but I am dead serious. I coded so much during my cohort I was waking up in the 5 hours of sleep that I got writing lines of code in my sleep and solving bugs while I was asleep. There were several times I woke up in the middle of night, went to my office, and solved an issue I had a previous day. You have to be living, breathing and eating code to fully understand everything that you are learning. You have to be applying the previous days lecture in some form or fashion, whether it be helping others learn by teaching, or contuniuing to build your own personal projects.

4. Put life on hold. During your time at DPL, you have to put your life on hold and just hold out for a few months on doing extracurricular activities while you focus 100% on the program. Besides, you are paying $10k for the program, so why would you waste any time you have on something, atleat until you graduate. I am married, and just moved to Salt Lake City during winter months, so you can believe me when I tell you it was hard to not go snowboard every weekend with friends or just explore the surroundings! I am also a huge gamer, so telling my friends, "hey man, I know winning the FIFA world championships would be cool and all, but I gotta do this homework", was a huge challenge for me, but in the end, we still won the championship after I finished school, so it was a WIN WIN.

5. NETWORK. One of the main downfalls, of becoming a developer is that alot of us are introverts and get night sweats thinking about meeting someone new or having a normal conversation with someone, that you have never met. In the end, networking is what is going to get you your first job as a developer. Not saying it isn't possible, maybe you are just a resume wizard, who got paid in college to write resumes for other people, but it is an extremely competitive market, so show casing your abilities to people on one sheet of paper, is the equivalent to the browns winning the super bowl, possible, but highly unlikely.

a. LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the obvious first way to meet people with similiar interests in the same industry. Connect with people, bug them, ask them to meet with coffee. I once met up with a guy from LinkedIn when I first moved to Salt Lake City, who I had never met (it's actually possible), at a coffee shop he requested. I didn't ever mention to him that I despise coffee, not the smell, but the taste. I showed up and he had a coffee pre-ordered for me. I held my nose and chugged the thing and tried my hardest to keep a smile on my face. It will be awkward, but the more times you do this, the easier it will be.

b. Slack. If you haven't been exposed to the development world yet and have never heard of Slack, you should go ahead and google that one. Download it, find some communities that mean something to you, whether it be UtahJS (if you live in Utah), DenverDevs, several others loaded full of developers ready to answer any questions you may have. It is actually surprisingly a tremendously effective networking tool, without being the suited up, title heavy, word explosion that LinkedIn can be sometimes. Just get involved in the communities on Slack, and eventually people will get to know you and you can meet up with some of the other Devs or work on projects with them. Alot of these channels have a job postings channel, where recruiters post daily job postings for you to apply to. And the best part, you can send them a message DIRECTLY and express your interest.

c. Meetups. Meetups, if you are new to the community are mostly organized through the Meet Up app, or through slack channels. But they are usually like minded groups of people who meet once a month, or week, to discuss a certain topic in the tech community. GO TO THESE. Attending Dev Point, there is little time to really be doing anything other than sleeping, but if you can make it to one or two of these during the three months I highly suggest it.

6. Show your passion. Last tip I have to end this review for Dev Point is just to show your passion that you have. If you truly want to be in this industry and are excited about your future in development this will come natural to you. If you are in this industry solely for the money, then it will eventually show and you will get weeded out by employers fairly simple. You will notice during interviews, they will ask you questions like "What side projects are you working on, or what open source project is your favorite. They ask these questions because they want to gauge your interest level, and see if you are passionate about the things that you build, or whether you are contributing to the community.

I say all these things to tell you that if you choose Dev Point Labs to jump start your career in development, you won't be dissapointed as long as you follow the tips that I suggested and work HARDer than you ever have before. Their curriculum is perfect, and they are always doing their best to keep it current with up to date technology. After graduation I was able to land a software engineering position a few weeks after I graduated, only because I took every project seriously and it in turn, grew my skills light years ahead of where I was when I first came into the program. DPL provides all the necessary support to get you where you need to be, but in the end, it is up to you to determine where you land.

If you have any questions about the program or anything at all please feel free to reach out to me.

Website

LinkedIn

Github

Good Luck!

Daniel B.

• Brittanie Pham  User Photo
    Brittanie Pham • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

DevPoint Labs was such an amazing experience. I've learned much more than I ever thought possible over the past 11 weeks. Coming from practically no coding experience, this was one of the hardest things I've done, but it was also one of the most rewarding and DEFINITELY WORTH IT. The staff here is amazing and they make sure you get the most out of this experience. Dave, whom was my instructor, is so great at what he does! All while making class fun and exciting.

A regular day at DPL has 3 hours of lecture, then lunch, then project time. 3 hours of lecture everyday might seem like a lot, which it is, but Dave makes it extremely enjoyable and interesting. He truly cares about each and every student and their future. Even off the clock, he's always on Slack answering questions. There are also TA's available to answer your questions during project time which was extremely helpful since it was more of a one on one situation.

10/10 would recommend. No doubt!

• A whole new world
    - 5/16/2018
    Chris  User Photo
    Chris • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

tl;dr <ahem> DPL is well worth it, tough, it does feel like being thrown in the deep end but they won't let you drown.  DPL & UofU top-notch with providing ASL interpreters and other accessibility needs. Career/job assistance services could use some beefing up.  And would I do it again? See the bottom for that answer.

Details:

My background:

BA degree in Education, worked in social service field, switched careers completely- graduated from a 7 month business school type program in COBOL, DB2, Visual Basic etc. Many jobs as a QA Tester in the mainframe environment.  I decided to jump into Web Development (possibly connect to automated testing)- which lead me to researching bootcamps and ultimately DevPoint Labs.

The program itself

This is truly an intensive 11 week course. BUT it is, as so many has already mentioned, well worth the time.  The 'classroom model' is set up so that lectures are in the morning and "lab" time- work on projects and homework of the day solo or with teams in the afternoon.  I think most people learned best with the lecture part; I felt like I learned best with the afternoon 'free' time- though I tended to stay by myself as I learn best that way with a helping hand often from the instructor, the TAs and other classmates (and a huge Thank you to all).  The assignments were great and varied, the Portfolio project I enjoyed as it was something you'd see out there in the world and something people would use (all 5 offered were in that vein). Oh and the two hackathons were great in utilizing what we learned while making it fun.  Mornings were spent in the classroom but we could go anywhere in the building for our afternoon "sessions"- quite often I found myself in the basement- quieter than the Chapel and classroom were. The lectures covered a different topic every day with a few refreshers in there as well.  You could ‘code along’ or take notes or just follow along. With the live coding we got to see how the code worked- and even when there were errors- we learned how to deal with it and why it happened.

Housing

The housing offered to out of state or out of town students was certainly a big perk and a plus in my decision to go with DevPoint - part of it at least.  15 minute walk to class- longer if you had to deal with snow/ice *cough*.  Best part of my day to be honest- decompress and rest my poor brain/eyes.  I can't say anything to parking/driving as I didn't have a car there (I flew in) but the public transportation system in SLC is GREAT.  DPL did offer a discounted "Hive Card" but I stayed with the "FarePay Card" as I didn't use the system as much as I thought I would.  Only spent 25ish bucks the entire 3 months (I didn't venture out much....).

Accessibility

• I don't think I've ever read any reviews from former students of ANY bootcamp talking about accessibility and how the bootcamp dealt with it.  Full disclosure- I am Deaf and also have 'low vision'(in other words I still need some extra "support" mostly with font size, distance and color).
    • I enrolled 1.5 months prior to the start; in that time there was a lot of discussion.  It helped a ton that University of Utah had their own disability services department.  Between DPL and UofU they went the extra mile and were able to provide ASL interpreters for the entire 11 weeks (4 regular and over the course of 11 weeks 6 subs as needed on such short notice- it was less than 2 weeks before my arrival before I got confirmation on that.
    • vision wise, I didn't need a ton of support  but they did make sure I  had the same access as everyone else.  The instructors bumped up the text size and changed to dark themes or high contrast colors (99% of the time they made sure to remember lol) for the projected code we followed along with.  I am betting it was a side benefit to many of the hearing/sighted students as well. :).  The classroom seemed like it was in 'reno mode'...I don't know.. but the lighting wasn't the best.  One of the DPL staff swapped the bulbs in the front of the class AND in the projector for brighter ones- MUCH better. (We won't mention the high ceilings-- not the best acoustics lol - did not help for the case of the "mumblers" ;) ).
    • DPL made every effort to make sure the classroom, environment, events and material accessible to every single person in the class and I'm grateful to them and UofU for going the extra mile.  I have no doubt they'd do so again.  I hope it did raise better awareness for both the DPL staff and the folks in my cohort.

Final thoughts

For me another reason why I went with DevPoint is that it was out of my comfort zone...and I discovered that I did better discipline/routine wise away from my usual home- less distractions!  That method may not work for everyone but it happened at the right time for me. That and my original plan fell through with the closure of my choice in my home state.

Yes I was anxious in going - and learning at a breakneck pace.  Turns out I worried for nothing- my interpreters were great (they even kept  a 'cheat sheet notebook' FULL of how to sign all the "techy" terms- there aren't many signs in ASL for all the stuff we learned), I did pretty well with the set up and pace though many times I had trouble keeping up in the AM - look at my laptop, watch interpreter(s), look at projector- something had to give LOL so I tended to just "listen"  but afternoons/nights I was able to catch up.  The instructor and all the TAs at times were hard to catch but they were always there when you did need them. And even though I, along with many, dealt with Imposter Syndrome- heck went through that when I started in mainframe QA- it was a wonderful and challenging experience.

Would I do it again?  Hell yes.

</SEND>

• Ray S  User Photo
    Ray S • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The full time web development course at DevPoint Labs was one of the most rewarding 11-weeks of my life! The instructor, staff, and students made this experience totally worthwhile. It did take me a couple weeks to come out of my shell, but interacting with my fellow developers was something I couldn't have imagined! It was pretty tough, but it was so satisfying to learn. If I did have any issues, the instructor and the TA's were always available to help me clear up any confusion and help me become a proficient developer. I was at the end of my rope with my previous career choices and wasn't making progress/feeling unpassionate about my degree program at the University of Utah, and DevPoint Labs helped me find something I'm truly passionate about. Be prepared to pour all you've got into the course, but the reward is there for those who do!

• Awesome Course!
    - 5/10/2018
    Lindsay B  User Photo
    Lindsay B • Student Verified via LinkedIn

This program was awesome! I'm so happy with my decision to leave my old career and join the dev world. I had no previous experience with coding before this bootcamp and I am impressed with how much I learned in just a short amount of time. Dave was an amazing instructor and the TA's were awesome too. Even after my class has ended Dave continues to help with questions and he genuinely cares about your success.

• Andrew Locke  User Photo
    Andrew Locke • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was apprehensive when trying to decide if I should make the leap into Web Development. I am so thankful I found DevPoint.

The DevPoint Labs team has gone above and beyond to create an inclusive experience that challenges and prepares you to confidently make the step into a career in technology. I was fortunate to have been granted the "Opportunity in Tech" scholarship, which allowed me to attend.

One of the biggest perk was that they also offered free housing during my time in the cohort.

While I know that I still have a lot to learn, I feel confident in my ability to join the Dev community thanks to the instruction and network that DevPoint has provided.

• Usong Cho  User Photo
    Usong Cho • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This course is diffiult but rewarding if your willing to put in the effort and time. Instructor and the staff is awesome but if you dont give it your all that all means nothing. It was an awesome experience for me overall. I highly recommend this course !

• Leveled up!
    - 4/25/2018
    Tiffany Bigelow  User Photo
    Tiffany Bigelow • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    I am in the field but hadn't learned some of the new standards and codes. This class really help bring me up to speed quickly. It was fun, relaxed but intense. Would do it again!
  • DPL!
    - 4/25/2018
    D Street  User Photo
    D Street • Graduate Verified via GitHub

DPL was the best choice i could have made for a bootcamp. The teachers and assistants know more than enough to help you become a junior developer right after the 11 weeks are up! Yes it's a very challenging 11 weeks but with all the resources DPL gives you, they fly by! I highly recommend DPL to anyone looking to make a career change or just learn valuable skills. The teacher Dave really cares about each of his students and it shows!!

• Devin Parkinson  User Photo
    Devin Parkinson • Student Verified via GitHub

I came into the course with no background and no experience, and at the end felt I felt like I could accomplish anything. They do such an amazing job creating an actual learning environment where you know that help will be found wherever you look. It’s rough, because it should be, but they will guide you all along the way and as long as you are willing to put in the effort, you can finish it.

• Rachel Miles  User Photo
    Rachel Miles • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I just finished the 11 week full-stack bootcamp at DevPoint Labs and it was a remarkable experience. Dave is an incredibily patient and adept instructor and he is constantly trying to keep the curriculum as up to date as possible. He and the TA's were willing to cater to many different types of learning styles.

I came to this course with zero background in tech and development, so I was ready for the worst and was pleasently surprised at the outcome and my understanding. Although it was VERY challenging, I felt like Dave always made a point to give everyone the attenteion they required to understand certain topics and he made sure each student knew he belived in their abilities to succeed in the class.

Do not expect to be spoonfed in these 11 weeks. It is hard work, and the design of the course is to help each person become self-sufficient in learning topics and finding answers on their own while guiding only when absolutely necessary. It can feel like you're plopped in the deep-end while youre just learning how to swim at times, but this is the quickest and most efficient way to get you on your feet as a developer. If you show up, work hard, ask questions, and dont give up, you will succeed.

I would do this again in a heartbeat.

• Nathan Hubner  User Photo
    Nathan Hubner • Sales Lead • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

DevPoint is a place where you feel as though your learning and your understanding are the things that are truly valued. I never felt as though they were just trying to make themsleves look good, but rather I felt like the instructors and everyone at DevPoint cared about my education and the knowledge I was gaining. I had awesome TA's who were willing to answer ANY  questions that I may have had. They were extremely helpful and kind. DevPoint offeres many wonderful things aside from education. One of the most amazing things I recieved was connections and friendships. I strongly believe that I was able to succeed because of the care that the staff put in. Not only were my instructors and TA's skilled and knowledgeable in what they were doing, but they were also my friends. That made all the difference. I highly reccomend this course to anyone looking to advance their skills in this ever growing field. You will not be disappointed by the education you recieve, nor by the friendships you gain.

• Reviewed.
    - 2/17/2018
    Max Winslow  User Photo
    Max Winslow • Junior Front-End Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was once like you.

Trying to deicde how best to make the career change.

Skeptical and anxious looking at the various reviews and articles...

and of course, the toxic marketing from bootcamps promising: 'Job Guaranteed' and 'Our Grads Make 100k and work for Google!'

So let me preface this by saying I do not work for DevPoint Labs, and I was not paid, cajoled, threatened or bribed to make this review for DevPoint Labs.

First the bad news, no one is going to be able to determine whether you get a job coming out of your bootcamp experience, or what that job might be, except for you. Period. Any bootcamp you attend will require the overcoming of obstacles such as stress, burnout and uncertainty, unfamiliar teaching styles and apathetic students. All of these thing are possible and you're likely to experience almost all of them.

If any of those obstacles dissuade you from the idea of attending a bootcamp then I would encourage you to take a few days and really consider whether this is something you want to do. Self teaching? Online courses? All of these are valid options for pursuing a career change into software development. Are you really in need of the discipline and structure that a 3-4 month bootcamp imposes upon your life?

I was in need of that, and I am grateful I ended up at DevPoint Labs. I initially enrolled in another 'Dev' bootcamp in Utah that will remain nameless and I am so glad I switched to DPL. My reasons for choosing DevPoint Labs were:

A: Devpoint Labs accepts tuition funds from a variety of sources. If you are ex-military or if, like me, you have leftover funds in a 529 account then DevPoint can work with you to apply those funds towards tuition. A tuition, I might add, that is $1,000 to $5,000 less then comparable programs in the area. The reason they are able to offer this flexibility leads me to my next reason for attending.

B. DevPoint Labs full-time course is partnered with the University of Utah. This means that the course, curriculum, and academic policies are fully vetted by an accreddited public university. This may not mean a lot to you. But in a world where the same for-profit colleges that are being accused of false advertising and fueling a student loan debt crisis, are also buying up bootcamps left and right (*cough Mev *cough Dountain), I appreciate this oversight. In addition, being able to graduate with a certificate from a nationally recognizable institution has its own advantages.

C. While the program does have backing from 'the U', the actual academic experience at DevPoint is nothing like attending college and, for me, that was a very good thing. Mornings consisted of a brief lecture and code-along that was routinely interrupted by questions and discussion related to the material. Afternoons were reserved for group and/or solo work with multiple TA's and the instructor available to answer questions. Halfway through the course, the class pivots to working on actual commercial software products for customers. Being able to come out of the program already having this experience was absolutely essential to the success of my job search.

There's lots of other reasons that I am glad I chose DevPoint Labs. The hackathons, the bowling and movie nights. But above all, I'm glad because it accelerated my transition into a new career field faster than I ever really thought was possible.

If you are on the fence, or you have any other questions about my bootcamp experience, I encourage you to reach out to me on Linkedin. Thanks for reading.