devpoint-labs-logo

DevPoint Labs

Las Vegas, Provo, Salt Lake City

DevPoint Labs

DevPoint Labs teaches 11-week full-time and 11-week part-time full stack web development coding bootcamps in Salt Lake City, Utah, and Las Vegas, Nevada. The full-time class is part of the University of Utah Professional Education school, and covers HTML, CSS, Ruby on Rails, SQL, JavaScript, React, Redux, and more. The part-time class is available at the DevPoint Labs Salt Lake City campus and at the University of Nevada, and covers a very similar curriculum. DevPoint Labs' approach to learning combines pair programming with traditional lectures and a mix of group projects, lean methodologies, hackathons and one-on-one mentorship from instructors.

DevPoint Labs is aimed at students with little to moderate experience in web development. To apply, candidates fill out the short application on the website, then chat with a staff member about their motivations. Once accepted students will need to complete pre-work before the first day of class.

Leading up to graduation, DevPoint Labs prepares students for finding a job with mock interviews, workshops, guest speakers, and a Launch Day to showcase their projects to potential employers. Full-time students at the University of Utah Professional Education program will receive a completion certificate. Part-time students at the University of Nevada will receive a UNLV Continuing Education certificate.

DevPoint Labs offers student housing to all out-of-state students on a first come, first serve basis. The house is located less than a mile from the campus, and comes furnished with all utilities paid for the duration of the camp.

Recent DevPoint Labs Reviews: Rating 4.85

all (113) reviews for DevPoint Labs →

Recent DevPoint Labs News

Read all (27) articles about DevPoint Labs →
  • Part-time Web Development

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Salt Lake City
    This course puts a heavy focus on JavaScript, React, and front-end web development. We are one of the nation's highest reviewed program in accelerated web development with emphasis in the most desired and growing skills like javascript, react.js, git, mongodb, react native and more in web development. Even though the course is part-time, the pace is rigorous (bootcamp for a reason) and only for the motivated individuals that wants to gain skills that will add value to their career and life. Our campus is at Church & State co-working, a collaborative environment for students to get their CODE ON before and after class. Taught by industry experts, you'll learn from passionate instructors co-instructors, and TA's who are contributors & leaders in the development community. DevPoint Labs is unmatched in the nation when it comes to student experience, value, community, and advanced curriculum.
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union
    Women In Tech Scholarship & Opportunity in Tech Scholarship
    Basic computer knowledge
  • UNLV Part-time Web Development Coding Bootcamp

MongoDB, HTML, Git, PHP, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, Xcode, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Front End, Ruby, MVC, Agile
    Las Vegas
    Partnered with University of Nevada, Las Vegas - DevPoint Labs is powering a part-time web development coding bootcamp. This 24-week program is geared towards working individuals with a flexible schedule of nights and weekends. Learn from one of the top coding programs in the nation in the latest web development technologies and tools. Curated curriculum will cover full-stack web development.
    Student Loans through MACU
  • U of U ProEd Full-time Web Development

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Ruby
    Rolling Start Date
    Salt Lake City
    In today's digital economy, coding skills are the most demanded across all types of careers and professions. Forbes and LinkedIn noted that those with full-stack web development skills dominate the pay scale and employer desirability. University of Utah Professional Education is excited to bring our students a full-time Web Development Certificate Program, powered by DevPoint Labs. DevPoint Labs was founded by University of Utah graduates as the first full-stack web development program in the state. This course will be held at the DevPoint Lab's Campus in downtown Salt Lake City, located in Church & State Co-working. This full-time, intensive program creates proficiency in back-end and front-end web development through hands on training. Learn multiple programming languages and programs centered around web development like HTML, CSS, Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, ReactJS, React Native, Git and more. https://devpointlabs.continue.utah.edu
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union
    Women In Tech & Opportunity In Tech Scholarships available.
    Basic computer knowledge GED or Equivalent
  • User Experience Design

HTML, User Experience Design, CSS
    Salt Lake City
    *THIS COURSE IS CURRENTLY NOT OFFERED* Being able to express design ideas by utilizing sitemaps, user flows, and wireframes is a skill that is in increasingly high demand, and a requirement for any serious career in interactive design or product management. In this course, you’ll receive knowledge and skills in topics like: how to analyze business and usability requirements from a user perspective, drawing solutions with Sketch and best practices for common design patterns such as home pages, forms, search and navigation.
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union
    Basic computer knowledge & some design experience.

• Great School!!
    - 4/18/2017
    Nathan   User Photo
    Nathan • Student Verified via GitHub

Just completed the full stack web development course and am very happy with my experience. It was a lot of information but was laid out in a very logical way that allowed my skills to build rapidly. With the help of the staff at DevPoint Labs, I went from knowing very little about HTML and CSS to deploying full functioning applications to the web using Ruby on Rails and React.js. I felt DevPoint Labs provided me with a very supportive atmosphere during my 11 week course and taught me a curriculum that made me confident and qualified enough to apply for a junior developer job. I definitely recommned attending this school over the other options SLC has to offer.

• Software Enginner
    - 12/18/2016
    HP • Software Enginner • Graduate

I just can't thank DevPoint Labs enough for the opportunity to attend their great bootcamp. With the skills I learned at DevPoint I was able to secure a junior software engineer position less than a month from graduating. If you have the drive and passion, then DevPoint's proven curriculum and instructions will prepare you for your first job in the tech industry. Another factor to consider is the amazing community DevPoint has created, from the meetups to hosted chat you can always find a helping hand with any industry questions you may encounter. There is no doubt that I would not be where I am at today if it weren't for taking the plunge and enrolling in DevPoint's full-stack course. Thanks to everyone at DevPoint.

• Kelsie Garcia • Graduate
    I wanted skills that could elevate my career —I had no experience in coding I find coding fun, challenging, and satisfying —DevPoint has taught me how to think like a developer DevPoint came highly recommended from a friend who is a graduate and currently working as a Software Engineer Curriculum is challenging and current Instructors are invested in the curriculum Access to a network of DevPoint Alumni working in the field

Go in prepared to push yourself every day for 11 weeks and you will see yourself grow beyond measure.

• Cody Stringham • Ruby Team Lead • Graduate

I had been teaching myself HTML/CSS/Javascript for over a year before looking into a bootcamp. I can tell you that when i started attending, my development capabilities absolutely skyrocketed. The inside tools and tips you learn by attending are invaluable.

My experience with DevPoint Labs could not have been any better than it was. They have always been amazing at bringing talented people in to teach and mentor their students. The environment at DPL is so uplifting and inspriing. Even when i go back to mentor a hackathon I am always leaving with an amazing feeling – wanting to build something awesome.

• I'm a DPL success
    - 12/16/2016
    Danny Glover • Web Developer • Graduate

I went into DPL on a whim. I was sorta' doing nothing with myself. 25, single, was doing the typical Utah work... (call center, customer service, alarms, etc.)... My buddy called me one day and asked if I wanted to do this course. Didn't have anything else going on. So I said "sure". I went in, met with them, got accepted, started the first day, and fell in love with it.

Jake Sorce and Dave Jungst are excellent teachers. "Let me Google that for you" became a mantra in my life (thanks Jake, really turned things around for me). I loved going to class every day. I was learning a lot and from two people who teach very differently than each other, which I think was pivotal for me to not get stuck doing things a certain way.

Nhi, Will, and Ty are awesome founders and administrators for the program. They really care about you succeeding and will resourcefully help you find a way "in" if you're willing to put in the effort. Mark Anthony was super helpful in helping me tailor my resume into something that left potential employers with a desire to meet with me.

My first job out of school was in C#. Now I work in WordPress, Joomla, and some static sites. But, I build custom software for some of our clients and I do most of it in Ruby on Rails. My employer and clients are happy with the approach that I take to both web and software. They appreciate that I have instilled in me the desire to become better. I'm the only web developer here and they hired me over people with more experience and similar salary requirements because of the way I was taught and the way I approach my dev work.

Major shout-out to the fellas at DPL who helped me become a developer and hone in on skills and talents that I knew I had (or could have) but wasn't doing anything with.

• Eric Durr • Software Developer • Graduate

I was stuck in a job that I was over-qualified for and that I, frankly, did not like. DevPoint Labs was presented to me as a solution to my career-track head ache. It was not easy or convenient for me to attend because of where I lived, but, oh, was the sacrifice worth it. I finally found something that I enjoyed. If I could impart just one piece of advice to those that are considering this as an option - it isn't easy,  but it is worth every penny and every second.

• 0-60
    - 12/13/2016
    Addison • UX Designer • Graduate

DevPoint Labs a UX course that is two months long and provides you with the foundation that is needed to become a great entry level UX Designer. I had no experience, and in only a couple of months landed a full time job with a fintess software company, and am also creating a healthcare platfrom on the side that I wish to eventually turn into a company. And I accredit all of this to the staff, instructors and class mates who we're all so supportive and inspiring during the cohort.

• Brady Mason • Content Strategist - UX Designer • Graduate

I took the UI/UX design course offered by DevPoint Labs about 8 months ago. Coming from a backgroud in digital marketing with a heavy focus on content strategy, this course was just what I needed to improve and add additional skill sets to my career.

First and foremost, the ability to create digital interfaces and curate design tasks/ projects for personal or company needs was a huge help. I've now been involved in refacing mobile apps, landing pages, logo design, and other tasks that I would have normally had to outsource.

In addition to the creative production, the in-depth knowledge of user research and user experience that was gained has been monumental for my career/ personal development. Understanding human behavior has always been a major interest of mine and being able to apply that type of physcological study to the digital world has opened a variety of new doors for me.

My instructors were very hands on and involved in the entire process. Their ability to understand our needs and level of competencies helped our class achieve goals and objectives that we may have been overwhelmed with the first week of the course. Our objecitves were also tied to actual companies and stakeholders that were building or iterating live products.

In all, the course was very useful and worth while. It's a perfect course for those seeking new learning environments or those in pursuit of a new career path. From a critical stance, this course is not set up for those already experienced with UI/UX. Many of my classmates - including myself - had no prior design/ dev experience. It would still be a beneficial course for someone with a moderate level of design, dev, or UX understanding. However, it's an introductory level course and someone with prior experience might feel too ahead of the curve for it to be worth the cost (at least until the last few weeks of class).

Like I said above, I'm glad I had the opportunity to take this course. The instructors were great and I have/ will continue to recommend it to friends, family, and co-workers.

• brock beuch • Freelance Designer • Graduate

APPLICATION PROCESS:

Easy and straight forward. once I met with Will, I knew that it was the program I wanted to attend.

INSTRUCTORS:

At the time of attending we had to instructors Ty Hatch and Dan Hatch, they offered a very unique dynamic to the design process with a mix of lecture/discussion and hands on activities.

CLASS AND SCHEDULE:

The class itself was challanging and rewarding because we focused on a real world project with a tough problem to solve in only 8 weeks. The 3 day a week schedule was perfect with my daily work schedule.

OVERALL:

Dev Point Labs offered a great learning experience at an affordable price. I would and have recommended Dev Point to a ton of people.

• Great Experience!
    - 12/9/2016
    Sean • Graduate

DevPoint Labs has everything you need to jump start your developer career. I took the full-stack JS course and was really impressed with Dave's enthusiasm and knowledge of JavaScript. It is obvious that he enjoys teaching and being involved with the JS community. The rest of the DevPoint staff is extremely supportive and helpful in advancing your developer career. If you put in the work, you will get a ton out of it. It's no secret that all the material you need is out there, for free, on the net. DevPoint Labs is about the people, experience, connections, and all that in-between that you can't get from an online course... and that's why it's worth it.

• DPL Rails Course
    - 11/22/2016
    Jordan Ott • Application Support/QA • Graduate

I didn't fully know what to expect when I went to DPL and thought to myself 'it can't be that hard'. It was challenging to say the least. I was up into the wee hours of the night all the time trying to grasp all of the concepts taught in this course that I could. I don't know where Nhi Ty and Will found them, but Jake Sorce and Dave Jungst make DPL the best bootcamp in the state hands down. I have little doubt anywhere else you look will not have comparable assetts.  They are like walking information machines that will get you the answer to any question if they don't alreadt know it. There is a lot of information to learn going through, but Jake and Dave have made a course and teach in a way that will allow you to learn it. There is almost 'round the clock access to help with the T.A.'s and the instructors will answer questions however dumb you think they may be.

• Patrick Marshall • PHP/SQL Developer • Graduate

To preface, I attended the Full-Stack Rails course (not the JS like it says), but this review and the space allotted will not do justice for how amazing that I believe DevPoint Labs to be. Writing as a recent graduate who quit his job in a completely different field, moved to a different region of the U.S., took a chance on DevPoint Labs praying it would work out every step of the way, and is now comfortably 3 months into his job as a PHP and SQL developer, I can say that I owe everything I have achieved thus far to what that I learned and who I met at DPL. To start—the teaching staff. Jake Sorce and Dave Jungst were two of the most knowledgeable, understanding, and passionate instructors I had ever met in any given industry. Even amongst all of the trivial questions thrown their way, or the countless hours they invested back into students learning outside of the classroom, they both still remained incredibly patient, passionate, and caring for every lost student in the classroom. Most of us came in with little to no background in out cohort (including me), but they emphasized the pre-course work as your most beneficial tool, and my cohort seemed to have taken that to heart.

Next: the curriculum was organized in such a way that it was meant to push you, but down a thought process that most are not used to thinking—like that of a developer. The constant push was to not focus so much on the languages being taught and the syntax that exists in just those specific languages, but the thought process that occurs while solving those problems. This has proven to most valuable piece of information that I took away from the class and it alone allowed me to sell myself better when I got out. Thankfully, that didn’t long at all. I met my future employer on the Launch Night that DPL puts on every cohort to showcase our capstone projects. So, if you read before that people land jobs on Launch Night, and you are still somehow a skeptic, contact me and we will chat.

DPL provided everything that I needed to successfully transition into not just an industry that I had no background in, but to work daily in languages that I wasn’t ever specifically trained in as well. I can’t stress how well DevPoint is at providing the intangibles that you need, but there are many proven cases that prove this for me already. I would recommend choosing DevPoint time and time again.

• Taylor Wu • JavaScript Developer • Graduate

After my Spring 2016 semester ended I was wondering what I can do over the summer. I decided to take the Ruby on Rails course and it was honestly one of the best decisions I have made in my life. Coming in to the course I thought it was going to simple web developement that can compliment my IS degree at the U. The instuctors teaching styles are very distinct from one another and its great to be able to learn from these different teaching styles. This course gave me a passion in web development, I was hungry to learn more after the course, so after the course I became a TA(Teaching Assistant) at DevPoint Labs and started taking the JavaScript course during the night time. The JavaScript course made me want to work towards front-end development. Currently I am a full-time student at the U, also I'm the TA for the Ruby on Rails and JavaScript course. I will graduate in the Spring of 2017 and hopefully I will be able to find a full time developing job after that.

• Great investment
    - 10/13/2016
    Phil Walker • Software Developer • Student

I decided to attend Dev Point 2 years ago after years of trying to work my way into a programming position at my previous job. It was the best professional decision I've made. If you work hard, and I mean hard, and devote yourself, then it will pay off. The staff genuinely cares that you succeed and will give you a lot of help after the course.

Be aware, this isn't a guarantee for getting hired. The job market, especially if you're in Utah where DPL is located, is tough for junior developers. But this is a great way to get started and become involved with the community.

• Rachel Prows • Graduate

One of my biggest hesitations about quitting my job to attend a bootcamp was just the initial investment. However, having gone through the course I can say that it is 100% worth it.  I looked into several other local programs and felt that DevPoint was the best fit for me. I liked the culture, the location, and the technologies that were being taught. The intsructors are super knowledgable and are really great about helping students navigate their way through the course work. I loved that the Rails course had 2 intrusctors with different styles. I was able to learn a ton from both of them and appreciated the variety. I had no coding experience prior to starting at DPL and now feel very ready for the job market. I think that the thing I valued most about my experience is that the education went beyond just learning the technologies. There a heavy emphasis on learning to think like developers. We are taught to be problem solvers. I think that helps set the graduates of DPL apart from other candidates in the job search. The learning environment is fun and supportive. The staff are cool and want their students to succeed and are willing to go out of their way to ensure that happens. They also have someone designated to help students with LinkedIn profiles, resumes, and networking. I would not hesitate recommending DPL to anyone.

• GAMECHANGER!
    - 9/14/2016
    Charles David Brown • AWS Engineer • Student

I've been into computers in many ways as we all have in this tech direction, but DPL is a school that took my dreams and life seriously to make sure my needs were met, and asked me how they could assit me, and that was a wrap! I felt DPL had all the tools to polish my already deep knowledge in tech and transform my 'in my head coding career' not only into a salary, but a career direction that could go 'full steam ahead'. I'm about to graduate in just a few weeks, and already have the confidence to apply for work, and I feel very confident I could actually 'do this'. I'm already employed, and have three paid consutlant projects off the ground. I could not have done this without DevPointLabs and there amazing staff!

• Jake Day Williams • Ruby on Rails Developer • Graduate

The good: You'll want to read this.

I took DevPoint Lab's Full Stack Ruby on Rails course and was blown away by the rigour and thought put into their curriculum. I've taken lots of online programming courses. DevPoint's curriculum is superior in every way.  Sidenote: I make a living teaching online. I always thought a bootcamp wasn't neccessary. Hellboy was I wrong. I learned more in one week at DevPoint than I have in two years of learning on my own. The instructors (Dave Jungst and Jake Sorce) are veteran and are actively creating world class products being paid for and used by real people. (Not those fake people you see on Glee. Although I love me some Glee.) Now get this: Not only do they have real developers teaching this stuff, they have at least half a dozen TA's that are there Every. Single. Day. that helped me whenever the intstructors were with others. I'm not sure when or if they ever go home. But they're a fantastic resource that as far as I know no other school or bootcamp provides. Hackathons. Oh, you thought 9:30 - 5:30 Monday - Friday for 12 weeks was plenty? No, they also have weekend hackathons where they provide breakfast and lunch that all the DevPoint Labs Alumni come to. Now that I'm done with the course I get to keep using those hackathons as a learning and networking resource. (Keep it on the DL in case they decide to start asking us to chip in on the meals.) Now I know what you're wondering my dear reader. Did I get a job as a programmer after I finished the course? No. No I did not. I got a job as a programmer two weeks before I finished the course. I rocked my...  no, I Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnsoned every new hire test and whiteboard interview. I channeled my inner SQL and injected myself right into the workforce. The bad: The cereal dispenser. How many must we break before an industrial one is bought? I believe this is a game at this point. Someday someone will find a closet full of broken cereal dispensers and make a Franken-Dispenser out of them. You've brought this upon yourselves. The coffee maker: It's like the coffeeshop owners accross the street sneak in at night and jack it up so it won't filter. "Yeah, you're gonna have to buy coffee from us now."  If it's not them it's the Mormon students. Trying to lead us down the path of rightousness. Conclusion: I recommend DevPoint Labs because I know you will too once you're done with their program. Just look at the other reviews. The data is clear.

• DevPoint
    - 3/1/2016
    Corey • Graduate

It was a great learning experience that DevPoint offers.  It is very intense, and in depth knowledge of what people are using to make apps and website in this day and age. The TA's were great in helping us when you are stuck on a problem and everyone is friendly.

• Brian Phelps • Graduate

Attending DevPoint Labs was a great decision for me. I went into the school with virtually no experience with computere code and left being able to make and design web pages. It was a great decision for me coming out of college to choose. Graduated just a few weeks ago - and still keeping up with  code I've been working on. Highly recommend.

• Anonymous • Applicant

I never ended up attending Devpoint, but I thought I'd make others aware of what I experienced because I had only read positive reviews on Devpoint. My interview was rescheduled 3 separate times, all last minute. There was no technical interview when I finally did speak with one of the co-owners and I was accepted 2 weeks later, after being told I would hear back in a week. I do not live in Utah, but was ready to relocate to attend the cohort I was accepted into. All I needed was the smallest effort from the owners to send me a single document to obtain a loan from their partners, which they were not even aware of the conditions. One of the co-owners repetedly told me that I couldn't get a loan because I lived out of Utah, but my loan processor told me I certainly could. After finally being told I would be e-mailed the document, I never heard from anyone at Devpoint again. I gave up at that point, too stressful dealing with lack of communication and being left in the dark. Perhaps the program is great, I cannot say anything about that or the instructors, but I do feel this is worth noting for future applicants. I hate to be a downer and I am a very understanding person in most situations, but I was honestly offended by the lack of effort I experienced while working with Devpoint Labs.

Response From: Ty Diamse of DevPoint Labs
    Title: Founder
    Wednesday, Feb 24 2016
    Hi Anonymous, First, I would like to apologize for your poor experience with the application process. It sounds like we had some issues on our end and I can assure you this is not a typical experience. I'm glad you brought up the issue with our financing partner. We will address this with them and clear up their financing requirements. You're right there is no technical interview. We actually focus on the individuals soft skills while considering candidates. We're very good at teaching students the hard skills, but teaching someone the right soft skills is a little more difficult. If there is anything we can do for you please email me directly at Ty [@] devpointlabs.com.  Thanks,-Ty
  • Anonymous • business analyst ; agile transformation coach • Graduate

I did some extensive competetive analysis prior to applying at DevPointLabs. Their program appeared to offer the very best value in the market. We all hear how looking back in the rear view mirror is always 20/20. Well now I can say with absolute conviction, my analysis proved out in spades. My experience at DevPointLabs was beyond even my somewhat quixotic expectations. I experienced full engagement and support from the entire administration right on through the teaching staff. I sincerely appreciated the "up-front" authenticity and candor, as the administrators enumerated the level of rigor associated with this course. The full-stack rails course is suited for people commited to putting forth a level of focused effort beyond most other endeavors.

• Jen Baguley • Graduate

Going to DevPoint was one of the best decisions I've made for myself and my career. The teachers were incredibly knowledgeable, and I learned a great deal in a short amount of time. The support provided during the program and after is unmatched. I had a full time job offer within weeks of finishing the class. Definitely a great place to be.

• Brayden Green • Student • Student

I am in the Full Stack class and it is very good. I am 6 weeks in, and am learning industry leading techniques quickly.

• DPL!
    - 9/3/2015
    Bradley Hintze • Student

I attended DPL between May 18th, 2015 and July 31st, 2015.   It was a great experience for me.

I went in with some programming experience from college courses and also teaching myself some stuff.   The course jumped right into coding and didn't stop for 11 weeks.  My brain felt like mush most days after class from all the learning I was doing.   I was able to get an internship the last two weeks of class working for a new startup company and then was hired by them as a Jr. Dev on the last day of class.   I recommend this course to anybody who wants a change in their life and career!

• Worked for me
    - 9/3/2015
    Ryan Holdaway • Software Engineer • Graduate

I got a great job. Highly recommend.

• Justin R. • Software Engineer • Graduate

I was a part of the 2014 spring cohort at Devpoint Labs, and I had a great experience. First of all let me get this out of the way, programming is hard. You are going to have to work your butt off to get it down, but it is such a great feeling when you build cool stuff or figure out a problem that had you stumped.

The staff at Devpoint Labs is great. They were all very helpful and enthusiastic about helping their students to learn and grow. Throughout the entire course, I felt like they were very concerned for my progress and improvement as a developer. The instructors definitely know their stuff, and they were very willing to take extra time to explain concepts or provide extra help to anyone who needed it.

I would recommend Devpoint Labs to anyone who is serious about development. The experience will either help get you on the developer path, or it will help to fine tune your skills if you are looking to pick up a new language.