devpoint-labs-logo

DevPoint Labs

Las Vegas, Provo, Salt Lake City

DevPoint Labs

DevPoint Labs teaches 11-week full-time and 11-week part-time full stack web development coding bootcamps in Salt Lake City, Utah, and Las Vegas, Nevada. The full-time class is part of the University of Utah Professional Education school, and covers HTML, CSS, Ruby on Rails, SQL, JavaScript, React, Redux, and more. The part-time class is available at the DevPoint Labs Salt Lake City campus and at the University of Nevada, and covers a very similar curriculum. DevPoint Labs' approach to learning combines pair programming with traditional lectures and a mix of group projects, lean methodologies, hackathons and one-on-one mentorship from instructors.

DevPoint Labs is aimed at students with little to moderate experience in web development. To apply, candidates fill out the short application on the website, then chat with a staff member about their motivations. Once accepted students will need to complete pre-work before the first day of class.

Leading up to graduation, DevPoint Labs prepares students for finding a job with mock interviews, workshops, guest speakers, and a Launch Day to showcase their projects to potential employers. Full-time students at the University of Utah Professional Education program will receive a completion certificate. Part-time students at the University of Nevada will receive a UNLV Continuing Education certificate.

DevPoint Labs offers student housing to all out-of-state students on a first come, first serve basis. The house is located less than a mile from the campus, and comes furnished with all utilities paid for the duration of the camp.

Recent DevPoint Labs Reviews: Rating 4.86

all (128) reviews for DevPoint Labs →

Recent DevPoint Labs News

Read all (24) articles about DevPoint Labs →
  • Part-time Web Development

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationSalt Lake City
    This course puts a heavy focus on JavaScript, React, and front-end web development. We are one of the nation's highest reviewed program in accelerated web development with emphasis in the most desired and growing skills like javascript, react.js, git, mongodb, react native and more in web development. Even though the course is part-time, the pace is rigorous (bootcamp for a reason) and only for the motivated individuals that wants to gain skills that will add value to their career and life. Our campus is at Church & State co-working, a collaborative environment for students to get their CODE ON before and after class. Taught by industry experts, you'll learn from passionate instructors co-instructors, and TA's who are contributors & leaders in the development community. DevPoint Labs is unmatched in the nation when it comes to student experience, value, community, and advanced curriculum.
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union
    ScholarshipWomen In Tech Scholarship & Opportunity in Tech Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • UNLV Part-time Web Development Coding Bootcamp

MongoDB, HTML, Git, PHP, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, Xcode, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Front End, Ruby, MVC, Agile
    LocationLas Vegas
    Partnered with University of Nevada, Las Vegas - DevPoint Labs is powering a part-time web development coding bootcamp. This 24-week program is geared towards working individuals with a flexible schedule of nights and weekends. Learn from one of the top coding programs in the nation in the latest web development technologies and tools. Curated curriculum will cover full-stack web development.
    Student Loans through MACU
  • U of U ProEd Full-time Web Development

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Ruby
    LocationSalt Lake City
    In today's digital economy, coding skills are the most demanded across all types of careers and professions. Forbes and LinkedIn noted that those with full-stack web development skills dominate the pay scale and employer desirability. University of Utah Professional Education is excited to bring our students a full-time Web Development Certificate Program, powered by DevPoint Labs. DevPoint Labs was founded by University of Utah graduates as the first full-stack web development program in the state. This course will be held at the DevPoint Lab's Campus in downtown Salt Lake City, located in Church & State Co-working. This full-time, intensive program creates proficiency in back-end and front-end web development through hands on training. Learn multiple programming languages and programs centered around web development like HTML, CSS, Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, ReactJS, React Native, Git and more. https://devpointlabs.continue.utah.edu
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union
    ScholarshipWomen In Tech & Opportunity In Tech Scholarships available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge GED or Equivalent
  • User Experience Design

HTML, User Experience Design, CSS
    LocationSalt Lake City
    *THIS COURSE IS CURRENTLY NOT OFFERED* Being able to express design ideas by utilizing sitemaps, user flows, and wireframes is a skill that is in increasingly high demand, and a requirement for any serious career in interactive design or product management. In this course, you’ll receive knowledge and skills in topics like: how to analyze business and usability requirements from a user perspective, drawing solutions with Sketch and best practices for common design patterns such as home pages, forms, search and navigation.
    Student loans available through: Mountain America Credit Union

Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge & some design experience.

• Valerie • Graduate

DevPoint Labs provides a structured, logical, and meaningful 11 week bootcamp course. I was surprised at how much I learned and was able to do on my own in a short amount of time. You definitely get what you put into this course! It was challengin,but there is so much help and assistance available to help you through your journey in the course. The instructors are very knowledgable and patient in their approach to teaching, and the TA's are always happy to help!

DevPoint Labs has built a positive and encouraging learning environment, and I'm very happy to be a part of the alumni. I would absolutley recommend DevPoint Labs to anyone who is looking to make a change!

• Jake S. • Full-stack PHP/Moodle Developer • Graduate

DevPoint Labs full-stack Ruby on Rails course is taught by two amazing coders and teachers.  That is a hard combination to come by, and Jake Source and Dave Jungst do a fantastic job of bringing you from zero to coding hero in a little less than 12 weeks.  It's intense and not for people who are not serious about changing their career paths. Despite the difficulty level, I garuntee that if you do take each day seriously and try your best anyone, I repeat, ANYONE, can come out on top.  I took the class in from February - April 2016 and my life has only improved as a result of the new skills I learned at DevPoint.  As an individual I am able to take a more analytical approach to problem-solving, and as an employee I have the skills needed to compete in a changing workforce.  If you are looking to change your career without the traditional 4 year degree, DevPoint is for you!

• Top Notch Program
    - 4/18/2017
    Andrew P. • Junior Web Developer • Graduate

I had a great time at DevPoint Labs getting the foundation I needed in order to become the person I wanted to be. Great instructors and support system ensure that you are well on your way to a great career.

• Lindsay • Graduate

I had a really incredible (and really difficult) time doing the full-time Ruby on Rails course.  If you are not expecting the course to be difficult, challenging, make-you-question-everything, this might not be the best fit for you.  If you think it will be worth the rewards you reap, then you're right!  I cannot believe how much I have learned and absorbed over the last 11 weeks.  And don't let the difficult part hold you back because DPL offers tons of support not only through teachers, TAs, and other staff, but also a wonderful network of alumni.  Dave and Jake are both incredible instructors and great complements to each other in their coding and teaching styles.  I look forward to remaining a part of this community.

• Great Bootcamp!
    - 4/9/2017
    Heidi • Graduate

No, you won't be able to retain every single thing you learn so quickly, but I'd guess what I did learn in 11 weeks would have taken me three or four years to learn on my own,  floundering around with online courses. Without DevPoint I wouldn't have gotten the big picture of how it all works together.

I left with a good concept of how to learn whatever coding skills I might need at a new job and something you can't put a price on- confidence. I did the evening course and there are two instructors. They are both very talented. They never got stumped or seemed like they were winging it. On top of that, it was obvious that they loved what they were doing.

Very positive and supportive environment. Plus the networking during and after the course really makes the difference in connecting you with a job after the course. Definitely recommend doing this over trying to do it on your own. Lots of diversity in age and gender in my cohort- don't be intimidated!! ;)

• Paul Carrillo • Graduate

I completed the After Hours Full-Stack JavaScript course at DevPointLabs. DPL has opened my mind to a complete new world and community that I wish I could have been part of earlier. The eleven week's were challenging, it has been one of the toughest thing's that I have ever done. I had to put in a lot of extra time and made a lot of sacrifices. It was hard, overwhelming but the knowledge that came from completing the course has re-directed my career path.

I would highly recommend DevPointLabs to anyone interested in becoming a developer. Dave and the whole staff are amazing. They are there help you along every single step. I am glad I had the opportunity to attend DevPointLabs and would not hesitate to go back.

• Best Decision
    - 1/15/2017
    Spencer • Graduate

I just completed the full-time Rails course at DPL and had a wonderful experience. I went into the course with only knowledge of HTML/CSS and found the course challenging and very rewarding. As I was thinking about making the decision to take the course I was worried that I may not be able to do well as logical concepts like math have always been difficult for me. Don't even worry about that. If programming interests you and/or you are tired of not knowing what to do with your life/career then I highly recommend DevPoint Labs. It isn't easy by any means. There were days the content felt so overwhelming I wanted to just give up and cry. However, I never gave up and just pushed through.

You will get what you put into it. I can honestly say I averaged 70+ hours a week and I absolutely do not regret it. If anything I regret not coding more!  I have now graduated and I feel like I have the foundation needed to get out there and get myself hired.

The staff is amazing. The instructors are extremely qualified and teach the content very well. The TAs are awesome, happy to help, and are a great resource. The community at DevPoint Labs is incredible too. Tons of alumni are there to mentor and help however they can. If you ever get stuck, and you will... a lot, there are always people there to help you figure it out.

Honestly, going to DevPoint Labs was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. It has given me a career path, friends, and a constant challenge. I highly recommend DPL to anyone wanting to learn programming.

• Kenyon • SEO Manager / Product Manager • Graduate

I really loved my time at dev point labs. I had tried to learn JS on my own and kept hitting roadblocks. My understanding is now far beyond where I would've have gotten to own my own. The course is hard and you will get out of it what you put into it.

I was able to learn from (instructors) and with (students) some crazy smart taleneted people and build great projects. Dave was a great instructor, while the course and cirriculm moves fast he was always wililng to give insight on where to go to learn more and go over topics learned in class. In reality you find out that it's hard and frustrating to learn to code in such a short time you really have to practice, practice and practice more to pick it up.

I gave five stars for experience, instructors and cirriculm and an NA for job assistance. I came into the course happily employed so I didn't participate in any of the job assistance activites. So I can't speak on the job assistance aspect.

I will say that going through the course has made me way better at my job as a SEO Product Owner. I've nerver found working with developers more rewarding. In that sense it has defintey helped my career. I also am working on my own application that I intend to complete all the front end and back end dev for, which is something I would have never been able to do before the course. I still gave NA for job assistance becuase I think my job feedback is probably not relevant to what most prospective students are looking for.

If you are thinking about dev point I highly reccomened and advise to make a time committment, to attend all the classes and do homework, do good prep work before cohort and don't get discouraged when it gets difficult. You will be successful if you work at it and you will be very glad you did!

• William Winger • Graduate

Going into this course with little to no knowledge about code, I was blown away by how much they were able to help me understand so quickly!  What I had expected was completely different from what I got, and I can assure you that I'm not disappointed in the slightest! I'm forever grateful to the staff here at DPL!

• Robert Bell • Student

I had very little knowledge of coding and was introduced to the idea of coding bootcamps. During my research I came across DevPoint Labs and was impressed with how greatly my friends talked about it. The class emphasised best best practices for the software industry and had many people to help you along your knowledge jorney. I could tell how much the teachers loved coding. They have a lot of passion for programming. I had a great experience.

• Josh Terry

I recently graduated from DevPoint Labs. I can honestly say it was the best decision I could have made for my education. It is fast paced and extremely difficult at time but if you give it your all then you won't be disappointed. The instructors here are amazing... and patient. They will help you become your best regardless of your skill level. I'd recommend DevPoint Labs to anyone who is willing to work hard and get into the industry

• Marco Moreno • Retail Operation/Logistics Coordinator • Graduate

I went into DevPoint Labs' Immersive Afterhouse FullStack JavaScript course in the winter of 2016 having almost no experience coding. I had done some minor QA and UAT working in my previous job, but nothing prepared me for what I was about to get into. In retrospect, I wish that I had devoted two to three months of preparing for the course than just jumping into it the way that I did. The course was killer. I had a blast but it was filled with sleepless nights and a lot of frustration. The instruction was awesome however, I do wish that there would have been text material to study from and more guided tutorials to SLOWLY take us through some of the basics so that we could have a solid base before moving on to some of the more advanced frameworks and libraries. Having had no experience in coding whatsoever, I was pleased to be able to tackle building responsive and beautiful apps with the skill set that I learned.

This being said though I do wish that I would have had more of a base for learning the actual context and meaning behind a lot of the syntax in JavaScript. I am one of those people that need to do things over and over again in order for them to stick so sometimes the speed at which we covered the material was really intense for me.

The only downer for the course that I would have to bring up is the Job Assistance factor. I had a lot of help on putting my resume together but when it came to getting ready to apply and prepping for interviews, I have to say in the most constructive and honest way possible that we really didn't cover interview prep all that well. Looking good on paper is one thing but being able to answer interview questions intelligibly and confidently is vital to scoring a job in web development. Interviewers will probe your knowledge of libraries, frameworks, and how you interpret basic syntax to make sure you really understand and that you aren't just copying and pasting code from the web. They will question you relentlessly to find any weakness..it's not something you can bullshit your way through.  You can't google your way out of an interview.

• Kirby Yardley • User Experience Designer • Student

This course was great. We managed to cover an immense amount curriculum in a very short time. Ty and Dan were fantastic instructors and kept us challenged and on our toes while still ensuring we had the proper guidance we would need.

• Reece Bisel • Jr Developer • Graduate

First off this should be a 4 1/2 star review for overall experience but they don't do 1/2 stars. I loved my experience at DevPoint Labs, I will say that learning style can be rough for some people. If you need to learn how to program for less money than a traditional computer science degree, this is definitely the place you should attend.

I had 3 different instructors during my 11 week course at DPL. All of which gave me a different perspective on how things can be done. I've stayed in contact with almost all the professors that I had. All the instructors that taught me were more than willing to provide help with any issues I had, this includes real problems, like balancing an grueling work load and spending time with loved ones.

DPL does a wonderful job of teaching the bleeding edge of the tech world, which is great, albeit a double edge sword. This is an 11 week course, so obviously they can't teach everything. I would love to see a stronger push into the foundations of the course, I was in the FULL stack rails course, and going into my first job I was lacking some more basic understanding of Ruby, and even javascript. That being said, if you dive into this course and do extra coding in your spare time you can make up for this.

As far as job assistance goes, DPL excells at this. They do everything they can to help each student fullfill their goals, if that student wants to be a developer within a year, that's what they help them achieve. I actually got my first job from being on the DPL alumni forum, and I can guarantee that I wouldn't have heard about it without being part of their amazing community. The school will give a series of mock interviews that will help the students prep for the real world, which helped me immensely.

• Stephen Thomas • Software Engineer • Graduate

DevPoint Labs is an excellent program set up to really get your career started in the technical world. Its been invaluable to me and I'd highly recommend it to just about anyone. I say "just about" anyone because it's not for anyone. This course takes a lot of hard work, and if you're not willing to put the work in, then you shouldn't bother coming. When I attended, I went to class from 9 to 5. I spent every minute trying to absorb all of the information that we're given. After I went home I coded some more. I finished every homework assignment and built every program we were challenged to build. As a result, I leared the skills I needed.

The instructors are amazing. I had a bunch of different instructors when I attended and I learned great things from all of them. These instructors are super bright. During projects including the capstone, if I was ever stuck on an error that I couldn't figure out, it wouldn't take long for the instructors to see what I was doing wrong and help me fix it.

The DevPoint community is really set up to help you succeed at finding a job after graduation. It's all about networking and meeting people in the Dev community. If that doesn't intrest you, then I'd reconsider your coming to DevPoint. This company will help you to find the job that you need, but they're not going to do all the work for you.

I am super grateful for the opportunity I had to go to DevPoint. In a year and a half, after knowing barely anything about coding or html/css, I'm at close to a 6-digit salary and loving my job. It hasn't been an easy road, but if you're willing to put in the hard work it will pay off.

Some things DevPoint can improve:

Their TA's weren't very helpful to me. It seemed that no matter how often I went to a TA for help,  they couldn't help me solve my problem. They did however provide good walls to bounce my ideas off of, and I ended up just figuring out most problems on my own.

The DevPoint guys really want each student to succeed, but as time of graduation approaches they really focus in on those students who are most likely to move on faster in their career. They set up special interviews with a select number of students in the course (I wasn't one of those because I was planning on getting a part-time job to continue my formal education at college) to meet with a future employer. I felt like it was unfair that they were excluding me from that opportunity. I ended up getting that employers contact info from another student in the cohort, applied and got the position. (Like I've been saying, its set up to make you succeed, but YOU have to make it happen. It's not just going to happen upon you.)

Despite these flaws, I give DevPoint Labs 5 stars because if I had the chance to do everything again, I definitely would. I've refered lots of friends and family. Great job DevPoint, and thank you for the wonderful opportunities!

• Software Enginner
    - 12/18/2016
    HP • Software Enginner • Graduate

I just can't thank DevPoint Labs enough for the opportunity to attend their great bootcamp. With the skills I learned at DevPoint I was able to secure a junior software engineer position less than a month from graduating. If you have the drive and passion, then DevPoint's proven curriculum and instructions will prepare you for your first job in the tech industry. Another factor to consider is the amazing community DevPoint has created, from the meetups to hosted chat you can always find a helping hand with any industry questions you may encounter. There is no doubt that I would not be where I am at today if it weren't for taking the plunge and enrolling in DevPoint's full-stack course. Thanks to everyone at DevPoint.

• Kelsie Garcia • Graduate
    • I wanted skills that could elevate my career —I had no experience in coding
    • I find coding fun, challenging, and satisfying —DevPoint has taught me how to think like a developer
    • DevPoint came highly recommended from a friend who is a graduate and currently working as a Software Engineer
    • Curriculum is challenging and current
    • Instructors are invested in the curriculum
    • Access to a network of DevPoint Alumni working in the field

Go in prepared to push yourself every day for 11 weeks and you will see yourself grow beyond measure.

• Cody Stringham • Ruby Team Lead • Graduate

I had been teaching myself HTML/CSS/Javascript for over a year before looking into a bootcamp. I can tell you that when i started attending, my development capabilities absolutely skyrocketed. The inside tools and tips you learn by attending are invaluable.

My experience with DevPoint Labs could not have been any better than it was. They have always been amazing at bringing talented people in to teach and mentor their students. The environment at DPL is so uplifting and inspriing. Even when i go back to mentor a hackathon I am always leaving with an amazing feeling – wanting to build something awesome.

• I'm a DPL success
    - 12/16/2016
    Danny Glover • Web Developer • Graduate

I went into DPL on a whim. I was sorta' doing nothing with myself. 25, single, was doing the typical Utah work... (call center, customer service, alarms, etc.)... My buddy called me one day and asked if I wanted to do this course. Didn't have anything else going on. So I said "sure". I went in, met with them, got accepted, started the first day, and fell in love with it.

Jake Sorce and Dave Jungst are excellent teachers. "Let me Google that for you" became a mantra in my life (thanks Jake, really turned things around for me). I loved going to class every day. I was learning a lot and from two people who teach very differently than each other, which I think was pivotal for me to not get stuck doing things a certain way.

Nhi, Will, and Ty are awesome founders and administrators for the program. They really care about you succeeding and will resourcefully help you find a way "in" if you're willing to put in the effort. Mark Anthony was super helpful in helping me tailor my resume into something that left potential employers with a desire to meet with me.

My first job out of school was in C#. Now I work in WordPress, Joomla, and some static sites. But, I build custom software for some of our clients and I do most of it in Ruby on Rails. My employer and clients are happy with the approach that I take to both web and software. They appreciate that I have instilled in me the desire to become better. I'm the only web developer here and they hired me over people with more experience and similar salary requirements because of the way I was taught and the way I approach my dev work.

Major shout-out to the fellas at DPL who helped me become a developer and hone in on skills and talents that I knew I had (or could have) but wasn't doing anything with.

• Eric Durr • Software Developer • Graduate

I was stuck in a job that I was over-qualified for and that I, frankly, did not like. DevPoint Labs was presented to me as a solution to my career-track head ache. It was not easy or convenient for me to attend because of where I lived, but, oh, was the sacrifice worth it. I finally found something that I enjoyed. If I could impart just one piece of advice to those that are considering this as an option - it isn't easy,  but it is worth every penny and every second.

• 0-60
    - 12/13/2016
    Addison • UX Designer • Graduate

DevPoint Labs a UX course that is two months long and provides you with the foundation that is needed to become a great entry level UX Designer. I had no experience, and in only a couple of months landed a full time job with a fintess software company, and am also creating a healthcare platfrom on the side that I wish to eventually turn into a company. And I accredit all of this to the staff, instructors and class mates who we're all so supportive and inspiring during the cohort.

• Brady Mason • Content Strategist - UX Designer • Graduate

I took the UI/UX design course offered by DevPoint Labs about 8 months ago. Coming from a backgroud in digital marketing with a heavy focus on content strategy, this course was just what I needed to improve and add additional skill sets to my career.

First and foremost, the ability to create digital interfaces and curate design tasks/ projects for personal or company needs was a huge help. I've now been involved in refacing mobile apps, landing pages, logo design, and other tasks that I would have normally had to outsource.

In addition to the creative production, the in-depth knowledge of user research and user experience that was gained has been monumental for my career/ personal development. Understanding human behavior has always been a major interest of mine and being able to apply that type of physcological study to the digital world has opened a variety of new doors for me.

My instructors were very hands on and involved in the entire process. Their ability to understand our needs and level of competencies helped our class achieve goals and objectives that we may have been overwhelmed with the first week of the course. Our objecitves were also tied to actual companies and stakeholders that were building or iterating live products.

In all, the course was very useful and worth while. It's a perfect course for those seeking new learning environments or those in pursuit of a new career path. From a critical stance, this course is not set up for those already experienced with UI/UX. Many of my classmates - including myself - had no prior design/ dev experience. It would still be a beneficial course for someone with a moderate level of design, dev, or UX understanding. However, it's an introductory level course and someone with prior experience might feel too ahead of the curve for it to be worth the cost (at least until the last few weeks of class).

Like I said above, I'm glad I had the opportunity to take this course. The instructors were great and I have/ will continue to recommend it to friends, family, and co-workers.

• brock beuch • Freelance Designer • Graduate

APPLICATION PROCESS:

Easy and straight forward. once I met with Will, I knew that it was the program I wanted to attend.

INSTRUCTORS:

At the time of attending we had to instructors Ty Hatch and Dan Hatch, they offered a very unique dynamic to the design process with a mix of lecture/discussion and hands on activities.

CLASS AND SCHEDULE:

The class itself was challanging and rewarding because we focused on a real world project with a tough problem to solve in only 8 weeks. The 3 day a week schedule was perfect with my daily work schedule.

OVERALL:

Dev Point Labs offered a great learning experience at an affordable price. I would and have recommended Dev Point to a ton of people.

• Great Experience!
    - 12/9/2016
    Sean • Graduate

DevPoint Labs has everything you need to jump start your developer career. I took the full-stack JS course and was really impressed with Dave's enthusiasm and knowledge of JavaScript. It is obvious that he enjoys teaching and being involved with the JS community. The rest of the DevPoint staff is extremely supportive and helpful in advancing your developer career. If you put in the work, you will get a ton out of it. It's no secret that all the material you need is out there, for free, on the net. DevPoint Labs is about the people, experience, connections, and all that in-between that you can't get from an online course... and that's why it's worth it.