devcodecamp-logo

devCodeCamp

Madison, Milwaukee

devCodeCamp

devCodeCamp delivers a choice of programs focused on relevant skills and technologies needed in Software Development in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The full-time, full-stack 12-week Software Development program focuses on C# and .Net. The program also covers the fundamentals of computer science and software engineering so there is no need to go it alone online before the program starts.

From day one, students are taught how to think like software engineers, working on real-world projects in a collaborative environment. The devCodeCamp instructional team brings knowledge and passion as well as patience and empathy. The curriculum was designed with the demands of the market at the forefront, yet their core philosophy is to teach software concepts transferable to any programming language. Both programs also cover job seeking strategies, personal branding, resume and interview workshops.

devCodeCamp's locations were constructed to replicate real-world software development firms in downtown Milwaukee in the Ward4 Startup Hub.

Recent devCodeCamp Reviews: Rating 4.74

all (103) reviews for devCodeCamp →

Recent devCodeCamp News

Read all (8) articles about devCodeCamp →
  • Full Time Software Development

HTML, C#, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Data Structures, Algorithms, Front End, MVC, Agile, SQL, GitHub
    LocationMilwaukee
    What does it mean to be a software developer? At devCodeCamp, we believe it means you dream big, want to solve problems, and think creatively. Here, we walk you though the entire process of making applications that people can use every day. This not only includes the functionality of the software, but how do you write it in a flexible, robust way so that your code may even outlive you. To dive into software development on your own can be overwhelming. There seem to be countless libraries, frameworks, and programming languages out there. Beginners get lost in big words, complicated problems, and the slew of technologies used to bring ideas to reality. We, at devCodeCamp, simplify the process for you with an easy to understand curriculum and personal lectures and projects. Learn more: http://devcodecamp.com/software-development-bootcamp/ From the start, you will dive into programming languages and tools used by major corporations and tech companies. Our projects harness the fun of coding along with the challenges commonly faced by software developers. Good software development stems from good software design, and we take full advantage of that aspect to make learning as entertaining and enticing as possible. After all we want you to love learning and spending time in our coding community.
    Lending partners include SkillsFund and Climb Credit. Also, accept the Forever GI Bill.
  • Part Time Web Development

LocationMilwaukee
    With devCodeCamp's Web Development Program you will be learning and using the most modern technologies so that you can hit the ground running at a company. The majority of your immersive online Bootcamp is project-based learning. You will have immediate access to instructors to get the mentoring you need when you need it.
    Skills Fund, Climb Credit

• Game changer
    - 1/25/2019
    Steve White  User Photo
    Steve White • Software Test Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

What kind of thinker are you? How hard can you push yourself to grow when there is immense pressure mountained against you? You need to ask yourself these quesitons and answer honsetly if you're considering attending devCodeCamp.

For myself, it worked out quite well. I sit, writing this in my sleek, downtown office, sipping free cold brew during a break from coding some node.js. Now that it's been 4+ months since I've graduated from the Software Engineering bootcamp at devCodeCamp, I can give an honest assessment of devCodeCamp and the tools and opportunities that I have gained as a result of completing the program.

Let me tell you about where I was when I first considered attending devCodeCamp. At the time, my twin boys were 1 and a half years old, I wasn't making enough money managing a coffee shop, and I felt that I was not utilizing the talent for problem solving that I new I had. While it would've been impossible to stop working to attend the 3 month, full time development program, I luckily was able to enroll in the part time program, which met 3 nights a week and several Saturdays for 6 months.

Before enrolling officially, I completed the recommended pre-course materials. **DO NOT SKIP THIS** Also, I took a free Udacity intro to javascript course. If you are considering choosing software engineering as a career and want to attend, you HAVE to make sure that you can enjoy the type of problem solving that coding can present. I was confident that I loved coding- symbollic logic was my favorite course in college and there's nothing to me like a good whiteboard challenge. My biggest peice of advice would be to learn some javascript and see if you like coding before making a huge financial commitment.

So, about my actual experience at devCodeCamp... First, the campus is very cool. Its got the feel of a hip startup - exposes brick in the classroom, rows of monitors on every tabke, some pretty weird artwork on the walls, lots of young people eager to build something new - it feels good to be in the space. Located in the Pritzlaff building of Milwaukee's 4th ward, its a really slick location.

Second, there are some outstanding instructors there. One of the challenges with the PM part-time program was that its hard to staff a good developer as a part-time, evening instructor, and that is why I believe they no longer offer the Part Time Software Development course. I had a few different instructors as a result of this, which would've been a big challenge if it weren't for the daytime instructors being as supporting as they are. I know the daytime instructors well, and they are all outstanding. They're super positive and knowledgeable, but most importantly, they aren't going to spoon-feed you the answers. They are going to make you work through the problem, and that is truly the best way to learn.

The curriculum was satisfying and mostly prepared me for what to come. The biggest challenge is that in a 3 month FT or 6 month PT program, the bootcamps must pick and choose the most important this to teach. The first third of the course is basic: html, css, vanilla javascript -learning the basics. Then we moved on to C# for OOP and finally we spent the last chunk of the cousre learning ASP.NET MVC 5. We learn SQL querying and we got a lot of exp with GitHub.

Now that I am in a new position working primarily with node.js, I think I would advise devCodeCamp to consider shifting away from ASP.NET and using more of a node/React stack in the future. Node.js has become such a massively popular development language and there is such demand for node.js developers. Regardless, languages themselves are less important that the actual problem solving skills you receive from the cours.

Lastly, job assistance was fantastic. I was incredibly anxious when I graduated as I was stepping out into the unkown. Technical interviews are terrifying, but they do practice interviews/whiteboard challenges at the end of the course, so I felt decently prepared. More importantly, I participated in a "demo day" where I was able to showcase my capstone project for a company. They were interested in interviewing me after, but it was already after I had completed another interview (set up via devCodeCamp) for Northwestern Mutual. I got the position at NM less than 4 weeks after graduation.

You may have read that bootcamp grads struggle mightily in their first IT positions. I can say with certainly, than anyone in their first IT position will have to stay on their toes, because there is SOOO much to learn as a developer. the curve is massive. Now that I've been in this position for 3 months, I've become confident in my abilities, but eager to learn more. Experienced developers know that newcomers have so much to learn. If you can succeed at devCodeCamp you can be a highly successful developer.

The key is knowing yourself well enough to know if software development is right for you. This is a HUGE investment; one that I'll be paying off four 4+ more years. I've seen people fail - people who probably should've quit when they fell behind. Ultimately, be honest with yourself - if you're don't like algorithms, puzzles, logic, this isn't right for you- however, if you're like me, and can sit and problem solve for hours on end, and you have the mental toughness to grind through the pressure and stress of building something in a very short period of time, than this can be the game changer that you're looking for. devCodeCamp didn't chage my life - I changed my life and devCodeCamp provided the tools for me to do so.

• Aaron Madison  User Photo
    Aaron Madison • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Absolutely awesome experience, would recommend to anyone looking to break into the Software Development field. Their curriculum is very in depth and fast moving, everything works together to bring you to a deep understanding of the stack their working in. The instructors are awesome, it's a perfect mix of serious knowledge and fun wittiness. The in class environment is great, the building is very accessible and easy to work in. Overall an amazing experience for anyone who is looking for a new career, or just looking to pick up some programming skills.
  • Awesome Experience
    - 5/11/2020
    Justin Haldeman  User Photo
    Justin Haldeman • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    This program was an awesome experience. It taught me not only how to code but how to solve problems. I'm better at solving problems by breaking them down. The instructors were awesome. They always wanted to help. I highly recommend this program.
  • Experience
    - 5/9/2020
    Victor Meza  User Photo
    Victor Meza • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Working closely with instructors that actually cared about your projects. My personally assigned instructor Michael H, took all the necessary steps to in-depth explain programming principles, good writing conventions and conceptual background of some algorithms and data structures.

For our personal projects Michael T. Helped tremendously, helping guide my decision making and project direction when things inevitably got complicated. While at times some concepts were difficult to grasp; the instructors made an effort to go over the concepts again in a different way to really ensure we're ready to implement them in the real world.

While at times, it was frustrating they would have limited involvement; the skill of learning how to research on your own will set me up to learn endless programming languages, with the added benefit of having them as a support team for concept that are increasingly difficult to grasp.
  • Jeff A Cate  User Photo
    Jeff A Cate • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Not what I was expecting but definitely worth the work. Their process of retraining the mind to think like a developer is pretty impressive. Including whiteboard challenges into a fully immersive and intense agile environment gets you ready for whatever the future holds.
  • Look no further!
    - 1/10/2020
    Amelia Szymanek  User Photo
    Amelia Szymanek • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

The best advice I received before my course began was to fully immerse myself into the program because the time flies when you're at devCodeCamp. By choosing to immerse myself and soak up as much information as possible, I know my time spent here was worthwhile. I cannot believe the amount of personal growth I experienced throughout the course. I am grateful for the instructors and leadership for their support throughout the course.

• Andrew Szymanek  User Photo
    Andrew Szymanek • Graduate • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

The instructors and VP are very much interested in your learning and success. They provide assistance even outside of normal work hours if you are working on a project and trying to meet a deadline. I came here as a veteran using the GI Bill and the process to use that resource was absolutely seamless. I can't say enough good things about this place, so please give this one a look!

• Great experience
    - 12/10/2019
    Jake Gambino  User Photo
    Jake Gambino • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Summary: I went from working in janitorial work for almost a decade, with minimal development/coding experiences to accepting a job at a Fortune 500 company as a Full Stack Engineer. The instructors are great. They are relatable, accessible, and generally fun to be around.

The funding options seem to be very flexible, especially with the ISA option (income share agreement). My plan was to attend devCodeCamp back in late 2017/early 2018, but I couldn't make the funding work. When they introduced the ISA as an option, I returned and am very glad I did. With the ISA, they only get paid if I get paid over a certain threshold and there are limits (both in time and amount).

The program was challenging and engaging. Every time I felt like "I got this! No problem!" we would get a new assignment and I'd be right back to "I guess I have no clue what I'm doing." It's a constant up and down as you are introduced new topics. And make no mistake, there are a LOT of areas covered.

After graduation, the support was excellent. When I received my Associate's Degree (in a different field), it felt like I graduated and got thrown to the pits. This was NOT the case at devCodeCamp. In the month it took me to interview/accept a position, I was in constant contact with the individuals involved with the program, including being able to stay in the classroom and continue working/applying for jobs.

The environment they cultivated is truly impressive. It's collaborative, challenging, and there's never a dull moment. It is hard work and some weeks will require you to work beyond the normal class hours (looking at you, capstone projects), but it is worth it. With my new role, I will be almost doubling the salary I was earning just 16 weeks ago (12 for program, 4 to find job).

HIGHLY recommended

• Matt Washington  User Photo
    Matt Washington • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Going into the program I was a bit skeptical like most people I'm sure. However, this camp is outstanding and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to get into coding/developing as a career. I came into the camp with no coding/developing experience and after 3 months I am able to build a full application with front end and back end functionality. The camp is intense and does not give you time to procrastinate on projects, but is still kept at a pace that you can still learn if you put in the effort. The major benefit of a program like devCodeCamp is that the instructors are all really knowledgeable on all the languages/programs that you learn. If you get stuck or don't understand something they are all willing and able to answer pretty much any questions you have and explain it in a way to help you understand it. If you are a veteran you can use the GI Bill to pay for the program like I myself did which helped support me so I didn't have to work in my free time so I could focus on the program. I recommend at least coming in for a tour to check it out and ask any questions you may have about the program.

• Jackpot
    - 7/29/2019
    Charles Erickson  User Photo
    Charles Erickson • Associate Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I went into devCodeCamp with no real knowledge or experience. I am still floored by how much I was able to learn in the 14 weeks I was a student here. The entire course is built around teaching the technical aspects and the abstract ones. This means that instructors will help you learn code languages, structures, and techniques as well as learning new ways to approach problems and where to look to learn new things and solve issues yourself. My advice to anyone thinking of coming is to take the leap and gamble on yourself. With the experience and staff at devCodeCamp it's a sure thing.
  • Worth it!
    - 6/20/2019
    Deja A  User Photo
    Deja A • Associate Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

From day 1 you will dive right into coding! This isn't the traditional "sit down and learn from a textbook" classroom environment, this is very hands on and you will always be learning something new. After finishing college with a 4-year degree in something that has nothing to do with coding, I was looking for a change. I heard about devCodeCamp from word-of-mouth and decided to give it a try and I never looked back. There will be times where it feels like a roller coaster,  you will have days where everything is clicking in your mind and there will be days when you will need to focus a little bit more. When there was times where I felt like I was getting lost, the instructors was there to help me with each project. They want you to succeed! Looking back 4 months ago I never thought I would accomplish this much! Going in without a coding background, and now looking back I am glad I took the leap of faith and joined devCodeCamp. The process to enroll into the program  was very smooth and easy! In devCodeCamp you are provided with a great knowledge of coding as a foundation to go forth and learn any other language or create more applications. I was able to find a job quickly, jump starting my career as an engineer. If you are on the fence about this program, jump off the fence and dive in!

• Stephen McDonnell  User Photo
    Stephen McDonnell • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I had a rather unique experience at DevCode Camp as I entered as both a veteran and had significant schooling in Computer Science prior to attendance.

AS A VETERAN:

Support could not have been better. There were many former service members like myself from all different branches that were able to easily transition into careers with the skills obtained from DevCode Camp. As one of the few programs that accept the GI Bill, tuition was fully covered and I was even able to take advantage of housing on-site in one of the Pritzloff's Loft apartments with other students at no cost.

AS A COMPUTER SCIENCE MAJOR:

Being just short of my degree with no software development or engineering experience I found it hard to compete with peers in my field. Despite the shortage of developers and programmers companies rage about, finding a job even with a degree is extremely challenging without the skillsets or experience desired by each specific company. Through DevCode Camp I was able to hone already learned skills, learn best practices, and gain some very intense experience in technologies I never would have touched in an academic environment but are common practice in today's industry. The ability to properly apply skills/technologies learned is crucial and yet severely lacking in most academic programs but is instilled in each graduate at DevCode Camp.

• Worth It.
    - 6/6/2019
    Felipe Perez  User Photo
    Felipe Perez • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I checked out devCodeCamp a while ago and was skeptical at first. I saw some reviews that turned me away. My friend decided to sign up to later in the year and showed me what he was working on. I was amazed to say the least. I had two classes under my belt; languages not taught at the camp, and was still hazy on actual programming and software development.

I signed up and was blown away at the help the instructors gave, how they taught, and how the curriculum was laid out to give us the foundation and stack on it. You really don't need any experience before coming here, but you do have to work hard. I am glad I signed up, now I can deliver quality software and begin my journey as a software engineer.