devcodecamp-logo

devCodeCamp

Madison, Milwaukee

devCodeCamp

devCodeCamp delivers a choice of programs focused on relevant skills and technologies needed in Software Development in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The full-time, full-stack 12-week Software Development program focuses on C# and .Net. The program also covers the fundamentals of computer science and software engineering so there is no need to go it alone online before the program starts.

From day one, students are taught how to think like software engineers, working on real-world projects in a collaborative environment. The devCodeCamp instructional team brings knowledge and passion as well as patience and empathy. The curriculum was designed with the demands of the market at the forefront, yet their core philosophy is to teach software concepts transferable to any programming language. Both programs also cover job seeking strategies, personal branding, resume and interview workshops.

devCodeCamp's locations were constructed to replicate real-world software development firms in downtown Milwaukee in the Ward4 Startup Hub.

Recent devCodeCamp Reviews: Rating 4.7

all (91) reviews for devCodeCamp →

Recent devCodeCamp News

Read all (8) articles about devCodeCamp →
  • Full Time Software Development

HTML, Git, C#, Python, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, SQL, CSS, Data Structures, Front End
    Milwaukee
    What does it mean to be a software developer? At devCodeCamp, we believe it means you dream big, want to solve problems, and think creatively. Here, we walk you though the entire process of making applications that people can use every day. This not only includes the functionality of the software, but how do you write it in a flexible, robust way so that your code may even outlive you. To dive into software development on your own can be overwhelming. There seem to be countless libraries, frameworks, and programming languages out there. Beginners get lost in big words, complicated problems, and the slew of technologies used to bring ideas to reality. We, at devCodeCamp, simplify the process for you with an easy to understand curriculum and personal lectures and projects. Learn more: http://devcodecamp.com/software-development-bootcamp/ From the start, you will dive into programming languages and tools used by major corporations and tech companies. Our projects harness the fun of coding along with the challenges commonly faced by software developers. Good software development stems from good software design, and we take full advantage of that aspect to make learning as entertaining and enticing as possible. After all we want you to love learning and spending time in our coding community.
    Skills FundClimb CreditForever GI Bill
    Beginner
    Interview

• Disappointing
    - 12/7/2015

Program was unorganized, particularly the curriculum. Instructors were knowledgeable but less than helpful. Seemed like they were more concerned about growing their business than helping students learn. Essentially a $15k course on how to use Google.

Would not recommend.

• Challenging
    - 11/10/2015

This program challenged my like no other schooling. Worth the work

• Not amazing
    - 10/26/2015

I cannot recommend this program.  Google is your primary instructor.

• Amazing!!!!
    - 9/24/2015

Amazing atmosphere, learned a lot in such a short time

• Anonymous • Digital Consultant • Graduate

My experience with devCodeCamp was very positive. The instructors are helpful, and they teach in a way that forces you to learn the core principles of programming. DevCodeCamp also teaches from the ground up (they assume you have little-to-no experience with coding), but they offer extra projects for those that finish early on assignments. The best part about devCodeCamp is the learning environment. Everyone here wants to learn, which helps give you motivation to push yourself while you are here!

As a freelance photographer and graphic designer, I had been thinking about what I my skillset was missing. After doing some research, I found that learning to code would be the most advantageous. The trio of photography, design, and coding (full stack) could work so well together.  The problem was I didn't know where to start or what everything meant in the coding realm.

A friend recommended devCodeCamp. After the initial tour, I scheduled a follow up, where I asked 30+ questions about the program, what skills were taught, and what the expectations were.

This program is a bootcamp. You need to be dedicated, you need to work hard, and you need to basically put life on hold until you’ve finished. It makes the world of difference and the reward is worth it.

All to say dCC gave me the foundation I was looking for.

• Changed my Life
    - 9/29/2016
    Anonymous • Application Software Developer • Graduate

In 14 weeks I went from knowing NOTHING about coding becoming a competent and knowledgable software developer. 8 weeks later, I accepted an offer for a little bit over what devCodCamp lists as the average salary. It was extremely difficult for me, even though school had always been easy in the past, but the immersive nature of the program, combined with the project-based curriculum ensured that if I actually completed the work, there was no way I didn't learn the concepts. The instructors are very knowlegdable and extremely helpful, and the deployment staff was there for me 100% as I looked for jobs. Basically, everything they advertise on the website about the program turned out to be correct: It was very hard, the learning style works for the content, the deployment process is no joke and will get you plenty of opportunities for employment. If you can swing the cost, and you're willing to put the rest of your life on hold for a few months, this program will change your life.

• I recommend dCC
    - 9/27/2016

I recently attended the full time fullstack C# .Net boot camp. Like half my class I was a college grad wanting to add coding skills to my resume because I felt it would get me the kind of job I'd like and have the opportunity to vastly improve what I was earning.

dCC delivered as I received several job offers each offering salaries in the 50's with benefits.

I'm not going to reiterate what many of the reviewers have said about the class as they accurately portray what the program is about. What I will say is I'm glad I didn't buy into the controversy regarding the other school you read about online. I found the school environment in terms of instructors, space and what I learned to be top notch and even more than what was advertised. dCC doesn't participate in federal fafsa loans so the news story was like comparing apples to oranges to me.There's nothing like dCC in Milwaukee to my knowledge and I'm very thankful that I trusted what I saw and heard from students in my visits to dCC prior to enrolling.

• Honest review
    - 9/15/2016
    Anonymous • Developer • Graduate

When I was reading these reviews before I joined dcc, I was a little hesitant, the program being new, it being such a big investment, and some reviews being negative. I was lucky to have the ability to take a chance and join the camp, and I'm glad I did. I got out what I put in. I'm now in the position of a Course Report reviewer, and I want to leave the most honest review I can -- so that I can help you, just as these reviews helped me make my decision.

Overall, I think if you come in to this bootcamp committed, determined, positive, and as prepared as you can be, you have a good chance at becoming a developer and finding a job.

I came to devCodeCamp (dcc) after looking for a different career path. I was lucky enough to have the support of friends and family that helped both logistically and financially.

Before I started, I had already been teaching myself Javascript, Java, and some Ruby with online resource like Treehouse, Codecademy, and online tutorials. I had also been fiddling around on a Terminal (a computer application that most developers use everyday). Exposing myself to this world is when I started to fall in love with software and web development. I loved the researching, trying things over and over in different ways, and creating new things.

So, when I began the camp, I knew a few things, but nothing compared to what I've learned. The most important thing going in was that I knew this was what I wanted to do -- I already knew I enjoyed coding/development. I loved working my brain through the logic of code, as a computer would. Dcc then gave me a space to continue that learning process, as well as a support system via my classmates and instructors to help me when I got stuck and to supply challenging project ideas, lectures, and daily coding tasks.

The instructors do not hold your hand. They know the concepts and how to supply you with the resources and knowledge to help you understand difficult computer programming topics like data structures, time complexity, relational databases, and functional programming. But they don't write code for you. One really helpful thing they did during lectures was to write code in front of me, so I could see how they might tackle a feature.

It's true, a lot of the learning process is googling, and dcc is very honest about that -- the reason being that most real-world development is solving problems and debugging, often getting help from online. If you don't know how to research what you're trying to do or a problem you're trying to solve in code, you won't be a good developer. For me, I liked this -- learning by doing and researching. I didn't particularily want instructors to tell me how to write code. I wanted them to show me ways it can be done -- best practices -- and then send me off to do it my way. Dcc and it's instructors do that, but they will also help you with errors you encounter that make absolutely no sense to you. Most importantly, they help you understand the error, where it came from, and how to prevent it next time.

If you are good with this style of learning, then you'd do well there. If you are a committed learner, and have any interest in programming, you'd do well there. Frankly, if you do not dedicate yourself, you may not get what you want out of this course. It shows: there were a few people in my class that slacked off. They don't have jobs yet.  Almost all the others in my small group do.

Personally, I worked super hard at dcc. Often I programmed through lunch break, then went home and continued teaching myself by working on a web app project or doing online tutorials and watching video lessons. I probably spent 10-12 hours a day doing coding/learning related things. Again, I was committed.

The curriculum shifts each group. This is because dcc is still pretty young and is adjusting their curriculum to see what works best and what the community needs. We learned some Python and Javascript, but focused mainly on C# and ASP.NET MVC. All three of these tech stacks are widely used and applicable in the real world and in the MKE/Madison area. I'm very happy they chose to focus on these technologies.

During the deployment part of the program -- post graduating -- they help you look for jobs and hold hiring days -- days where one or more companies come in and see a few presentations from graduates and do short interviews.

The dcc job coordinator recognized that I worked very hard, created good projects, and that the instructors saw potential in me. About a month after the program, he got me a phone interview with a local software company. I did that interview, did a follow-up coding exercise, and then was brought in for a formal technical and in-person 2-hour interview. One week later they made me a job offer and I took it. Whereas before I was uncertain about my future, today I'm positive, grateful, and excited.

It would've taken me a long time to get to this point trying to teach myself coding. Dcc sped up this process and supplied the environment for my success. This is my story and I can't speak to anyone else's. If you are uncertain about your motiviations to learn coding, think twice. But If you see yourself in anything I've said here and have the means, take a chance with this bootcamp.

I started with no background in software development. While the 12 week bootcamp was intense, it was definately worth it. Instructors were helpful but didn't hold my hand the whole time.  Hiring day was held a few weeks after I finished the bootcamp.  This is where a bunch of companies came in, we presented our projects and met with each company.  I received a job offer from one of these companies as a Jr. Developer.  Excited for what my future now holds!

They will tell you what you want to hear to get your money.

I was in the class and was struggling very early in the program, but was repeatedly assured that I would be able to get through the program to prevent me from dropping or refunding. Come to find out at the end that they have difficulties placing me for a position and that I wasn't qualified the whole time. Good thing I wasted my time away from my family to try and provide for them.

The instructors were not helpful and reffered the students to Google all the time. Seems to be a lack of real world knowledge, all answers are very vague. The lead instructor quit while I was there. All these other good reviews were the rockstars of the class that had more knowledge and help from the instructors. Fox 6 news was distracting during class too. Search for the article if the link doesn't work. http://fox6now.com/2016/02/18/breaking-the-codes-tough-lesson-for-frustrated-students-they-closed-the-doors-on-us/
  • Got refund
    - 6/29/2016

I think they're charging too much for what they're offering.  It's on the side of amateurish in the classes I attended.  Some time wasting and unorganization which is completely inappropriate for the price tag.  They gave me a refund after waiting forty days, but most students are taking student loans so they don't see it the same way as someone paying out of pocket.  The 'admissions' process is a joke and I suspect there will be many unprepared people entering programming bc it's cool and they'll be out their money fast.  Maybe they'll get a job that's better than the one they had.  In a sense devcodecamp is cornering the desperation present in Milwaukee.  I don't like the owner and the management.  Instructors should start their own without them.

• Anonymous • Applicant

I'm writing a brief review of my experience in choosing to attend devcodecamp. 1) The classroom environment is so non traditional and awesome and that fits into the bootcamp style of learning 2) the most important to me was the instructors I met in the admissions interview wanted to make sure I was a fit, they were knowledgable, made tech concepts understandable for me and overall seemed to put my outcome of a job over just getting me to enroll 3) I spoke to students already in the course and what I was told by Paul about the course they verified 4) I was able to speak to 2 hiring companies that actually had hired devcodecamp grads and learned that they were impressed by the knowledge of the student grads they had interviewed. The .net program is in-demand and needed in the Wisconsin area. Excited to begin

• devCodeCamp review
    - 6/13/2016
    Anonymous • Web/Application Developer • Graduate

devCodeCamp from top to bottom does an excellent job in preparing students and graduates for success in the professional market. From the intense and in depth subject matter to the most relevant technologies and how to use them. It is my opinion that the best thing I took away from devCodeCamp was not just the ability to learn the content that is presented but to be a better learner in general. This is an ever changing market and fast moving career. Being able to keep pace is crucial. You will only get out what you put in, but the instructors are there to push you as far as you want to go.

• Scott M Tracy • Graduate

After only a week into the program I felt like Neo from "the Matrix", Except instead of knowing Kung Fu, I knew HTML.  It was amazing to see how fast we could learn each new concept or language.  The instructors were masterful in keeping us engaged and helping us push ourselves.  After Completing the course I am confident I have the skills to gain employment as a junior developer,  my developer friends have confirmed this.

• Scott M Tracy • Graduate