devcodecamp-logo

devCodeCamp

Madison, Milwaukee

devCodeCamp

devCodeCamp delivers a choice of programs focused on relevant skills and technologies needed in Software Development in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The full-time, full-stack 12-week Software Development program focuses on C# and .Net. The program also covers the fundamentals of computer science and software engineering so there is no need to go it alone online before the program starts.

From day one, students are taught how to think like software engineers, working on real-world projects in a collaborative environment. The devCodeCamp instructional team brings knowledge and passion as well as patience and empathy. The curriculum was designed with the demands of the market at the forefront, yet their core philosophy is to teach software concepts transferable to any programming language. Both programs also cover job seeking strategies, personal branding, resume and interview workshops.

devCodeCamp's locations were constructed to replicate real-world software development firms in downtown Milwaukee in the Ward4 Startup Hub.

Recent devCodeCamp Reviews: Rating 4.72

all (98) reviews for devCodeCamp →

Recent devCodeCamp News

Read all (9) articles about devCodeCamp →
  • Full Time Software Development

HTML, Git, C#, Python, JavaScript, .NET, ASP.NET, SQL, jQuery, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Data Structures, Node.js, Front End
    LocationMilwaukee
    What does it mean to be a software developer? At devCodeCamp, we believe it means you dream big, want to solve problems, and think creatively. Here, we walk you though the entire process of making applications that people can use every day. This not only includes the functionality of the software, but how do you write it in a flexible, robust way so that your code may even outlive you. To dive into software development on your own can be overwhelming. There seem to be countless libraries, frameworks, and programming languages out there. Beginners get lost in big words, complicated problems, and the slew of technologies used to bring ideas to reality. We, at devCodeCamp, simplify the process for you with an easy to understand curriculum and personal lectures and projects. Learn more: http://devcodecamp.com/software-development-bootcamp/ From the start, you will dive into programming languages and tools used by major corporations and tech companies. Our projects harness the fun of coding along with the challenges commonly faced by software developers. Good software development stems from good software design, and we take full advantage of that aspect to make learning as entertaining and enticing as possible. After all we want you to love learning and spending time in our coding community.
    Lending partners include SkillsFund and Climb Credit. Also eligible for the Forever GI Bill.

• Robert Starrett • Student

After taking a tour and seeing for myself what the program entailed I couldn’t wait to get started! I haven’t been disappointed either. Every week I reflect on how far I have come from day 1, and I am constantly amazed at how much I have learned and how much I have created in a few extremely quick weeks. Not only has the staff shared valuable information in lectures, projects, and 1 on 1 development, but they have also instilled an entire new learning paradigm in me. I feel confident when researching new and unknown topics when working on projects, which is something that will carry on into a valuable job skill. While it is not for the faint of heart (It will test your determination and perseverance), DevCodeCamp gives learners of all styles a chance to succeed and tools for success.

• Keith Hetzel • Student

My name is Keith Hetzel, the second I found out about this class I was interested in it. not just because of the future salary, but because I loved coding. Last August I started doing web development on my own and I really enjoyed doing it. I wanted to be better at it, for many reasons.

I'm here because I was going to college at MATC but I wasn't enjoying what I was doing. I was going to switch my major in college but I was too deep in my program to change. I came to their infosession about the class, then the next day I dropped out of college to come here instead.

I love this program, I have learned more here in the past 12 weeks than I learned in 3 semesters of college. It's fun, it's rewarding, and now I will be able to call myself a Software Developer. Every single day I come here I learn, I can't say that about college, it was too slow for me, I was bored. I'm not bored here, you don't have time to be bored. The instructors teach us what we need to know, we learn, they challenge us, help us, and then we create awesome projects. They're available for contact after hours when we're at home, and they'll take time out of their personal schedule to reply. The students are important to the instructors, there is no doubt about that, no matter what position you're in, every instructor is ready to help. I have nothing bad to say about devCodeCamp, just that programming isn't for everyone, just like medical science isn't for everyone, this is exactly what I want, and I love it.

• Michael Mueller • Student

My name is MIchael Mueller, and a soon-to-be 55-year old student at devCodeCamp in Milwaukee, WI.  I enjoyed a successful 30-year career at a large Fortune 500 company, and as my peers with similar years of experience started to retire or leave for better opportunities, I realized something was still missing when I looked back at my career.  Moving up early in my career to senior management positions, I now wish more of my time would have been spent rolling up my sleeves and getting my hands dirty, so to speak.  While I have no regrets, I saw the opportunity at devCodeCamp as way to fill that hole in my career, to get back to problem solving and making a real difference in people's lives.  It also allows me to do what every self-help magazine and career blog recommends - make a career change.

As the main income for a family of six, the decision to join devCodeCamp came with some consternation and the realization it would require a huge sacrifice from my spouse and kids. The main factors convincing me it was the right decision were the coding opportunities in the software development area, my younger kids' love of games and other computer-related devices, and the great impression the devCode people left on me during the initial interviews.  I was allowed access to their amazing space in downtown Milwaukee, and was ready to start as soon as the next class of 20+ students were scheduled to begin.

During my several weeks so far, I am continually impressed at the caliber of students (both intellectually and emotionally) and the knowledge and diversity of the teachers.  Every day is a challenge, and as they emphasized in the informational meetings and interviews, as well as the first two weeks of class, coding is very, very hard.  I have faced many challenges in the past, but never have I worked so hard at trying to learn something new in such a short timespan.  Having seen the students who have graduated from devCodeCamp deliver their final Capstone projects, it is also very evident the devCode process works.  Based on these results, it is very evident this method of learning software development works.  I look forward to the many light-bulbs going off in my head, as they say, and starting a new and rewarding career.

• Christian Petersen • Student

Hello, my name is Christian Petersen and this is my story.  My interest in software development started back in the MySpace days when I found myself spending countless hours editing my profile with basic HTML and CSS coding.  Back then I had no experience or knowledge of what I was doing, I just knew that I really enjoyed the creative aspect of constructing a unique webpage with code.

While I was in college pursuing my degree in Business, I took an elective in webpage development.  Taking this class solidified my interest in pursuing software development as a career, but I was too far into my degree that it did not make sense to switch majors.

It was not until I was visiting a friend in Milwaukee, WI that I stumbled upon a devCodeCamp advertisement on my FaceBook newsfeed.  I started to do research on the program and was unable to find reviews so I took a chance and went to an open house to get more information.  I was incredibly skeptical given the cost were pretty high and the lack of feedback, but still found myself curious on what they were all about.  Going to the open house peaked my interest more, however the one thing that sold me on the program, was that they offered a refund if you started and decided software development wasn’t for you or if you reached the first make it or break it point and did not pass and wanted to get out.  You may want more of a reason, but for me personally I was looking for a big change and I love being creative with code so that is all I needed to take the plunge and move to Milwaukee from Orlando, FL to start my adventure.

The sign up process is pretty simple, but very thorough.  You will have to attend a couple of one on one interviews in which you will be shown the facility, possibly meet some students, and be reinforced the level of difficulty of the program.  This is not a tactic to scare you, just to help prepare you for the amount of work you will receive.  Most people in the program started it with little to no experience in coding, so do not think that you will be alone – there will be plenty of people who can relate to what you are going through.

Like I said before, my experience with coding was using basic HTML and CSS language.  To date, I have been in the fulltime program for six weeks and can honestly say that I do not regret my decision.  During my time here, we have tackled Javascript and are now learning C#.  I will not lie and say that the process has been a picnic, but what is comforting is that you are never without support when you reach a rough patch.  You can find support from an instructor, or from other students.  Everyone is super understanding and willing to help because they are your devFamily (cheesy – I know).  You will receive multiple projects, some fairly simple and some that are more comprehensive and challenging.  You will come to class one day full of confidence, and the next completely stumped on an obstacle that racked your brain for many hours.  Again, the instructors are there to help, however the most liberating feeling you will have is when you overcome the obstacle and just want to scream with joy (some do).

If you find yourself interested in software development, are looking for a change of pace, and like the idea of challenging the standards of education, devCodeCamp might be a great fit for you.  You will only know if you give it a shot.

• Highly Recommended
    - 12/16/2015
    Ryan Roethle • Jr. Software Developer • Graduate

Definitely an intense program. Currently in my 8th week here but the gains I've made as a programmer are worth the effort. If your willing to put the work in, you will definitely be pushed beyond your limits. Just got through learning about design patters and time complexity for various data types. This program aims not just to turn you into a successful programmer, but more importantly into a highly skilled software developer. Highly recommended.

• Rewarding
    - 12/15/2015
    Mike Terrill • Jr. Software Developer • Graduate

The amount of information regarding coding I learned and comprehended after one week was staggering. Even though the program is intense and certainly not for everyone, obtaining knowledge about coding and understanding how to apply it is its own reward. I look forward to what is in store for me going forward.

• Disappointing
    - 12/7/2015

Program was unorganized, particularly the curriculum. Instructors were knowledgeable but less than helpful. Seemed like they were more concerned about growing their business than helping students learn. Essentially a $15k course on how to use Google.

Would not recommend.

• Challenging
    - 11/10/2015

This program challenged my like no other schooling. Worth the work

• Not amazing
    - 10/26/2015

I cannot recommend this program.  Google is your primary instructor.

• Amazing!!!!
    - 9/24/2015

Amazing atmosphere, learned a lot in such a short time

• Best Decision!
    - 1/10/2020

I am so glad that I made the decision to attend the Software Development bootcamp with devCodeCamp. I was looking for a way to learn more about coding and most of the options available to me were either all online or a four year schooling. I tried an online course but I didn't like trying to get on a chat with someone when I would get stuck. One of the best parts of devCodeCamp is the instructors. They are all awesome at what they do and so willing to help. Having them as a resource made it possible for me to complete this course. It is a lot of information in a short amount of time so it is very challenging and frustrating but so worth it!

• Anonymous • Digital Consultant • Graduate

My experience with devCodeCamp was very positive. The instructors are helpful, and they teach in a way that forces you to learn the core principles of programming. DevCodeCamp also teaches from the ground up (they assume you have little-to-no experience with coding), but they offer extra projects for those that finish early on assignments. The best part about devCodeCamp is the learning environment. Everyone here wants to learn, which helps give you motivation to push yourself while you are here!

As a freelance photographer and graphic designer, I had been thinking about what I my skillset was missing. After doing some research, I found that learning to code would be the most advantageous. The trio of photography, design, and coding (full stack) could work so well together.  The problem was I didn't know where to start or what everything meant in the coding realm.

A friend recommended devCodeCamp. After the initial tour, I scheduled a follow up, where I asked 30+ questions about the program, what skills were taught, and what the expectations were.

This program is a bootcamp. You need to be dedicated, you need to work hard, and you need to basically put life on hold until you’ve finished. It makes the world of difference and the reward is worth it.

All to say dCC gave me the foundation I was looking for.

• Changed my Life
    - 9/29/2016
    Anonymous • Application Software Developer • Graduate

In 14 weeks I went from knowing NOTHING about coding becoming a competent and knowledgable software developer. 8 weeks later, I accepted an offer for a little bit over what devCodCamp lists as the average salary. It was extremely difficult for me, even though school had always been easy in the past, but the immersive nature of the program, combined with the project-based curriculum ensured that if I actually completed the work, there was no way I didn't learn the concepts. The instructors are very knowlegdable and extremely helpful, and the deployment staff was there for me 100% as I looked for jobs. Basically, everything they advertise on the website about the program turned out to be correct: It was very hard, the learning style works for the content, the deployment process is no joke and will get you plenty of opportunities for employment. If you can swing the cost, and you're willing to put the rest of your life on hold for a few months, this program will change your life.

• I recommend dCC
    - 9/27/2016

I recently attended the full time fullstack C# .Net boot camp. Like half my class I was a college grad wanting to add coding skills to my resume because I felt it would get me the kind of job I'd like and have the opportunity to vastly improve what I was earning.

dCC delivered as I received several job offers each offering salaries in the 50's with benefits.

I'm not going to reiterate what many of the reviewers have said about the class as they accurately portray what the program is about. What I will say is I'm glad I didn't buy into the controversy regarding the other school you read about online. I found the school environment in terms of instructors, space and what I learned to be top notch and even more than what was advertised. dCC doesn't participate in federal fafsa loans so the news story was like comparing apples to oranges to me.There's nothing like dCC in Milwaukee to my knowledge and I'm very thankful that I trusted what I saw and heard from students in my visits to dCC prior to enrolling.

• Honest review
    - 9/15/2016
    Anonymous • Developer • Graduate

When I was reading these reviews before I joined dcc, I was a little hesitant, the program being new, it being such a big investment, and some reviews being negative. I was lucky to have the ability to take a chance and join the camp, and I'm glad I did. I got out what I put in. I'm now in the position of a Course Report reviewer, and I want to leave the most honest review I can -- so that I can help you, just as these reviews helped me make my decision.

Overall, I think if you come in to this bootcamp committed, determined, positive, and as prepared as you can be, you have a good chance at becoming a developer and finding a job.

I came to devCodeCamp (dcc) after looking for a different career path. I was lucky enough to have the support of friends and family that helped both logistically and financially.

Before I started, I had already been teaching myself Javascript, Java, and some Ruby with online resource like Treehouse, Codecademy, and online tutorials. I had also been fiddling around on a Terminal (a computer application that most developers use everyday). Exposing myself to this world is when I started to fall in love with software and web development. I loved the researching, trying things over and over in different ways, and creating new things.

So, when I began the camp, I knew a few things, but nothing compared to what I've learned. The most important thing going in was that I knew this was what I wanted to do -- I already knew I enjoyed coding/development. I loved working my brain through the logic of code, as a computer would. Dcc then gave me a space to continue that learning process, as well as a support system via my classmates and instructors to help me when I got stuck and to supply challenging project ideas, lectures, and daily coding tasks.

The instructors do not hold your hand. They know the concepts and how to supply you with the resources and knowledge to help you understand difficult computer programming topics like data structures, time complexity, relational databases, and functional programming. But they don't write code for you. One really helpful thing they did during lectures was to write code in front of me, so I could see how they might tackle a feature.

It's true, a lot of the learning process is googling, and dcc is very honest about that -- the reason being that most real-world development is solving problems and debugging, often getting help from online. If you don't know how to research what you're trying to do or a problem you're trying to solve in code, you won't be a good developer. For me, I liked this -- learning by doing and researching. I didn't particularily want instructors to tell me how to write code. I wanted them to show me ways it can be done -- best practices -- and then send me off to do it my way. Dcc and it's instructors do that, but they will also help you with errors you encounter that make absolutely no sense to you. Most importantly, they help you understand the error, where it came from, and how to prevent it next time.

If you are good with this style of learning, then you'd do well there. If you are a committed learner, and have any interest in programming, you'd do well there. Frankly, if you do not dedicate yourself, you may not get what you want out of this course. It shows: there were a few people in my class that slacked off. They don't have jobs yet.  Almost all the others in my small group do.

Personally, I worked super hard at dcc. Often I programmed through lunch break, then went home and continued teaching myself by working on a web app project or doing online tutorials and watching video lessons. I probably spent 10-12 hours a day doing coding/learning related things. Again, I was committed.

The curriculum shifts each group. This is because dcc is still pretty young and is adjusting their curriculum to see what works best and what the community needs. We learned some Python and Javascript, but focused mainly on C# and ASP.NET MVC. All three of these tech stacks are widely used and applicable in the real world and in the MKE/Madison area. I'm very happy they chose to focus on these technologies.

During the deployment part of the program -- post graduating -- they help you look for jobs and hold hiring days -- days where one or more companies come in and see a few presentations from graduates and do short interviews.

The dcc job coordinator recognized that I worked very hard, created good projects, and that the instructors saw potential in me. About a month after the program, he got me a phone interview with a local software company. I did that interview, did a follow-up coding exercise, and then was brought in for a formal technical and in-person 2-hour interview. One week later they made me a job offer and I took it. Whereas before I was uncertain about my future, today I'm positive, grateful, and excited.

It would've taken me a long time to get to this point trying to teach myself coding. Dcc sped up this process and supplied the environment for my success. This is my story and I can't speak to anyone else's. If you are uncertain about your motiviations to learn coding, think twice. But If you see yourself in anything I've said here and have the means, take a chance with this bootcamp.

I started with no background in software development. While the 12 week bootcamp was intense, it was definately worth it. Instructors were helpful but didn't hold my hand the whole time.  Hiring day was held a few weeks after I finished the bootcamp.  This is where a bunch of companies came in, we presented our projects and met with each company.  I received a job offer from one of these companies as a Jr. Developer.  Excited for what my future now holds!

They will tell you what you want to hear to get your money.

I was in the class and was struggling very early in the program, but was repeatedly assured that I would be able to get through the program to prevent me from dropping or refunding. Come to find out at the end that they have difficulties placing me for a position and that I wasn't qualified the whole time. Good thing I wasted my time away from my family to try and provide for them.

The instructors were not helpful and reffered the students to Google all the time. Seems to be a lack of real world knowledge, all answers are very vague. The lead instructor quit while I was there. All these other good reviews were the rockstars of the class that had more knowledge and help from the instructors. Fox 6 news was distracting during class too. Search for the article if the link doesn't work. http://fox6now.com/2016/02/18/breaking-the-codes-tough-lesson-for-frustrated-students-they-closed-the-doors-on-us/
  • Got refund
    - 6/29/2016

I think they're charging too much for what they're offering.  It's on the side of amateurish in the classes I attended.  Some time wasting and unorganization which is completely inappropriate for the price tag.  They gave me a refund after waiting forty days, but most students are taking student loans so they don't see it the same way as someone paying out of pocket.  The 'admissions' process is a joke and I suspect there will be many unprepared people entering programming bc it's cool and they'll be out their money fast.  Maybe they'll get a job that's better than the one they had.  In a sense devcodecamp is cornering the desperation present in Milwaukee.  I don't like the owner and the management.  Instructors should start their own without them.

• Anonymous • Applicant

I'm writing a brief review of my experience in choosing to attend devcodecamp. 1) The classroom environment is so non traditional and awesome and that fits into the bootcamp style of learning 2) the most important to me was the instructors I met in the admissions interview wanted to make sure I was a fit, they were knowledgable, made tech concepts understandable for me and overall seemed to put my outcome of a job over just getting me to enroll 3) I spoke to students already in the course and what I was told by Paul about the course they verified 4) I was able to speak to 2 hiring companies that actually had hired devcodecamp grads and learned that they were impressed by the knowledge of the student grads they had interviewed. The .net program is in-demand and needed in the Wisconsin area. Excited to begin

• devCodeCamp review
    - 6/13/2016
    Anonymous • Web/Application Developer • Graduate

devCodeCamp from top to bottom does an excellent job in preparing students and graduates for success in the professional market. From the intense and in depth subject matter to the most relevant technologies and how to use them. It is my opinion that the best thing I took away from devCodeCamp was not just the ability to learn the content that is presented but to be a better learner in general. This is an ever changing market and fast moving career. Being able to keep pace is crucial. You will only get out what you put in, but the instructors are there to push you as far as you want to go.

• Scott M Tracy • Graduate

After only a week into the program I felt like Neo from "the Matrix", Except instead of knowing Kung Fu, I knew HTML.  It was amazing to see how fast we could learn each new concept or language.  The instructors were masterful in keeping us engaged and helping us push ourselves.  After Completing the course I am confident I have the skills to gain employment as a junior developer,  my developer friends have confirmed this.

• Scott M Tracy • Graduate