devcodecamp-logo

devCodeCamp

Milwaukee

devCodeCamp

devCodeCamp delivers a choice of programs focused on relevant skills and technologies needed in Web and Software Development. The full-time, full-stack 14-week Software Development Bootcamp focuses on the in-demand Microsoft Stack. C#, .NET, ASP.NET, ASP.NET Core, Python, JavaScript, and more. The program also covers the fundamentals of computer science and software engineering so there is no need to go it alone online before the program starts. Our part-time, full-stack Web Development Bootcamp teaches the modern MERN Stack. React.js, MongoDB, Node.js, Express.js, JavaScript, and more.

From day one, students are taught how to think like software engineers, working on real-world projects in a collaborative environment. The devCodeCamp instructional team brings knowledge and passion as well as patience and empathy. The curriculum was designed with the demands of the market at the forefront, yet their core philosophy is to teach software concepts transferable to any programming language. Both programs also cover job-seeking strategies, personal branding, resumes, and interview workshops.

Recent devCodeCamp Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (139) reviews for devCodeCamp →

Recent devCodeCamp News

Read all (10) articles about devCodeCamp →
  • Full Time Software Development

LocationMilwaukee
    What does it mean to be a software developer? At devCodeCamp, we believe it means you dream big, want to solve problems and think creatively. We take you through the entire process of making applications that people can use every day. This not only includes the functionality of the software but how do you optimize it to run efficiently and in the manner it was intended. To dive into software development on your own can be overwhelming. There seem to be countless libraries, frameworks, and programming languages. We, at devCodeCamp, simplify the process for you with an easy to understand curriculum and personal lectures and projects. Learn more: http://devcodecamp.com/software-development-bootcamp/ From the start, you will dive into programming languages and tools used by major corporations and tech companies. Our projects harness the fun of coding along with the challenges commonly faced by software developers.
    Lending partners include SkillsFund and Climb Credit. We also accept VA Benefits for veterans.
  • Part Time Web Development

LocationMilwaukee
    With devCodeCamp's Web Development Program you will be learning and using modern technologies (MERN FullStack) so that you can hit the ground running at a company. The majority of your immersive online Bootcamp is project-based learning.
    Skills Fund, Climb Credit, VA Benefits for veterans
  • Hands on Learning
    - 6/13/2016
    JamesG • Graduate

devCodeCamp is defiinetly a boot camp and not a school. Although there are some lectures, the majority of the time is spent working on projects and you are expected to learn most of the course work on your own. Believe it or not, this is a good thing. When you have to figure out something on your own you tned to remember it better and are able to explain better. Programming is not something that can be taught easily, it is best learnied by doing and you will get plenty of practice here. Overall I had a great experience.

As a recent graduate of devCodeCamp, I can honestly attest that the course was very tough but all worth it in the end.  Prior to starting the course, they will present you with a short screening test to make sure that you know your keyboard from your mouse in a sense, not very hard. However, the test is not a preview of the actual course.

They often stressed that it would be a tough course as I went through the admission process. This is a reality that will not hit you until you are actually going through the course later on. Before devCodeCamp, I had general experience of computers and some coding languages such as javascript. I liked to dabble online here and there in the area, but devCodeCamp was a serious decision and commitment to make coding into a successful career. They definitely do not hold your hand through the class. I honestly felt like I was learning to teach myself how to code most of the time. Google will become a valuable asset in this course.

Despite, the challenges, there are valuable experiences that you can gain. DevCodeCamp will provide workshops where you can interview with employers and get a chance to present your final project. They help you draft a resume and refine your interviewing and presentation skills. You learn all this by doing it. It's a really hands on experience. In the beginning, all of this will seem appealing because of the testimonials and statistics of successful graduates. But I want to stress the reality that it is also not as easy as it seems to become that story of success that is promoted. It is really ultimately up to you to take this opportunity and make it a success through your dedication, determination, skills, and your final project.

Therefore, I think that devCodeCamp is not for everyone. You have to be passionate about coding and love it. You also have to go in it risking a lot as well as believing you can come out gaining so much more. If a traditional 4 year college is not for you, and you don't mind cramming all of that into 14 weeks, and won't cave under that pressure, this can also be a great opportunity for you.

This was the mindset and the picture of the path I was taking as I deciding to join devCodCamp, and because I went in with a realistic, yet determined to succeed despite the challenges outlook. I can testify that I am one of those success story.

• It's about money
    - 5/11/2016

Although I consider my experience at devCodeCamp a success, I would definitely not recommend it to anyone. The curriculum was disorganized and it became apparent the staffs’ primary concern was pushing us through rather than actually teaching us. I was also constantly hassled for being late or leaving early regardless if I had a legitimate reason. Most of what I learned I taught myself with the occasional help of asking an instructor a question, if I could can find them. These things are pretty nitpicky but by far the most egregious aspect of this program is their emphasis on placing their graduates. Before you actually enroll they will use the promises of a salary of $55,000 and an expansive hiring network to entice you to enroll. They did bring employers in for us to present ourselves to, but most of the time I felt like I was selling devCodeCamp rather than myself. In my experience most employers in the Milwaukee area will not seriously consider a graduate of devCodeCamp as a candidate. Not to mention that they charge hiring partners a placement fee and strongly discourage you of going outside of their network because they won’t get paid for it. In the end I don’t regret my choice of attending devCodeCamp but my expectation of a new, dynamic, and immersive program was not met. I instead found myself in the middle of a startup business that was far more concerned with making a profit than actually producing software developers.

• Chris • Graduate

The course is primarily project based learning with a focus on C# and object oriented programming. The time I spent here was about 20% lectures and 80% coding. Working on projects doing actual coding means that you will learn how to overcome real-world problems while creating functioning apps and games. This also means that it is truly up to the student to put in the work and effort to apply material being taught and to seek out answers for problems that material has not covered. Having projects to show was invaluable while looking for a job.

devCodeCamp has developed some great connections with employers in the community. There were employers who came in to see project presentations on occasion during the course and and who came to interview recently graduated students on site. Employers looking for software developers in the Milwaukee area are very likely to have heard of devCodeCamp.

The program is relatively new and while I was here the curriculum was still under development and unorganized at times. This is a comment on the order and pacing material was presented, not the material itself. Core lessons on object-oriented programming, relational databases, data structures, time complexities, and so forth were all present. While I was here we started with Python, moved into C#, and finished up learning some JavaScript (all while learning plenty of HTML and CSS along the way). It's quite a lot of information for 14 weeks.

The instructors are all great people, extremely smart, and very passionate about helping students learn to code. They were always there to answer any questions I had. However, the freedom given with ceratin projects meant that a student could choose whatever language/framework/technology they wanted to in order to accomplish their goal, and instructors might not have experience with that technology.

I started the program with a little bit of coding experience (a semester introduction class) which helped, because the program moves very fast especially in the beginning. We covered more material in those first two weeks then my semester class had. After completing the program, I found a job as a software developer in the Milwaukee area within a month thanks to the knowledge I was taught, the projects I had to talk about, and the community connections devCodeCamp has developed.

This course requires hard work and is not for everyone. Coding is difficult. I love to code, but even with that passion staying focused and coding for 10 hours a day or more while learning vast amounts of new information is not easy. You won't learn and retain the knowledge through some magical process of osmosis by just being here. If you are willing to put in the work, this course will turn you into a software developer.

• DevCodeCamp
    - 4/7/2016
    Daniel Vang • Graduate

I previously had no experience with software development. Entering the course I wasn't sure what to expect. For those who don't want to work hard or struggle through tough times, this isn't the course for you. I got my degree in business management and that felt like a breeze. Here at DevCode you spend majority of the time coding and doing projects/assignments, so you're always learning and applying right away.

• Matt • Graduate

With background in finance - having graduated from a 4 year degree and working at a bank for 2 years, I wanted to expand my career with technology. What I did not want was to spend a few more years in school and miss out on years of real world experience. With this program I was able to put in the 600 hours in 3 months - constantly learning new material and working on projects that apply to the real world. A good investment. It was not easy, but in the end worth it if you have the drive and motivation. DevCodeCamp's network of employers offers a great opportunity to connect with great companies. I definitely recommend this program to anyone willing to give up 3 months to expand their career.

• Charles Ciezki • Student

Before I came to devCodeCamp I was floating along, never really doing anything that I felt proud of in any aspect of my life. However one day a good friend of mine told me about devCodeCamp and I couldn't pass up the opportunity of getting an education and a job. I chose to come here of all places, because I wanted to code, I didn't want to sit in a 4 year school, and I admired the honesty at devCodeCamp, because they're open and honest about the aspects of their program, how hard it is, and how much work it is. devCodeCamp has already changed my life, and how I think in just seven weeks, I came in here not knowing anything about coding, and now I can look at all problems objectively, and now I can code as well. This place is a game changer for schooling, devCodeCamp goes the extra mile and beyond for their students, they will always challenge you and support you through the tough time that is learning coding.

• Robert Starrett • Student

After taking a tour and seeing for myself what the program entailed I couldn’t wait to get started! I haven’t been disappointed either. Every week I reflect on how far I have come from day 1, and I am constantly amazed at how much I have learned and how much I have created in a few extremely quick weeks. Not only has the staff shared valuable information in lectures, projects, and 1 on 1 development, but they have also instilled an entire new learning paradigm in me. I feel confident when researching new and unknown topics when working on projects, which is something that will carry on into a valuable job skill. While it is not for the faint of heart (It will test your determination and perseverance), DevCodeCamp gives learners of all styles a chance to succeed and tools for success.

• Keith Hetzel • Student

My name is Keith Hetzel, the second I found out about this class I was interested in it. not just because of the future salary, but because I loved coding. Last August I started doing web development on my own and I really enjoyed doing it. I wanted to be better at it, for many reasons.

I'm here because I was going to college at MATC but I wasn't enjoying what I was doing. I was going to switch my major in college but I was too deep in my program to change. I came to their infosession about the class, then the next day I dropped out of college to come here instead.

I love this program, I have learned more here in the past 12 weeks than I learned in 3 semesters of college. It's fun, it's rewarding, and now I will be able to call myself a Software Developer. Every single day I come here I learn, I can't say that about college, it was too slow for me, I was bored. I'm not bored here, you don't have time to be bored. The instructors teach us what we need to know, we learn, they challenge us, help us, and then we create awesome projects. They're available for contact after hours when we're at home, and they'll take time out of their personal schedule to reply. The students are important to the instructors, there is no doubt about that, no matter what position you're in, every instructor is ready to help. I have nothing bad to say about devCodeCamp, just that programming isn't for everyone, just like medical science isn't for everyone, this is exactly what I want, and I love it.

• Michael Mueller • Student

My name is MIchael Mueller, and a soon-to-be 55-year old student at devCodeCamp in Milwaukee, WI.  I enjoyed a successful 30-year career at a large Fortune 500 company, and as my peers with similar years of experience started to retire or leave for better opportunities, I realized something was still missing when I looked back at my career.  Moving up early in my career to senior management positions, I now wish more of my time would have been spent rolling up my sleeves and getting my hands dirty, so to speak.  While I have no regrets, I saw the opportunity at devCodeCamp as way to fill that hole in my career, to get back to problem solving and making a real difference in people's lives.  It also allows me to do what every self-help magazine and career blog recommends - make a career change.

As the main income for a family of six, the decision to join devCodeCamp came with some consternation and the realization it would require a huge sacrifice from my spouse and kids. The main factors convincing me it was the right decision were the coding opportunities in the software development area, my younger kids' love of games and other computer-related devices, and the great impression the devCode people left on me during the initial interviews.  I was allowed access to their amazing space in downtown Milwaukee, and was ready to start as soon as the next class of 20+ students were scheduled to begin.

During my several weeks so far, I am continually impressed at the caliber of students (both intellectually and emotionally) and the knowledge and diversity of the teachers.  Every day is a challenge, and as they emphasized in the informational meetings and interviews, as well as the first two weeks of class, coding is very, very hard.  I have faced many challenges in the past, but never have I worked so hard at trying to learn something new in such a short timespan.  Having seen the students who have graduated from devCodeCamp deliver their final Capstone projects, it is also very evident the devCode process works.  Based on these results, it is very evident this method of learning software development works.  I look forward to the many light-bulbs going off in my head, as they say, and starting a new and rewarding career.

• Christian Petersen • Student

Hello, my name is Christian Petersen and this is my story.  My interest in software development started back in the MySpace days when I found myself spending countless hours editing my profile with basic HTML and CSS coding.  Back then I had no experience or knowledge of what I was doing, I just knew that I really enjoyed the creative aspect of constructing a unique webpage with code.

While I was in college pursuing my degree in Business, I took an elective in webpage development.  Taking this class solidified my interest in pursuing software development as a career, but I was too far into my degree that it did not make sense to switch majors.

It was not until I was visiting a friend in Milwaukee, WI that I stumbled upon a devCodeCamp advertisement on my FaceBook newsfeed.  I started to do research on the program and was unable to find reviews so I took a chance and went to an open house to get more information.  I was incredibly skeptical given the cost were pretty high and the lack of feedback, but still found myself curious on what they were all about.  Going to the open house peaked my interest more, however the one thing that sold me on the program, was that they offered a refund if you started and decided software development wasn’t for you or if you reached the first make it or break it point and did not pass and wanted to get out.  You may want more of a reason, but for me personally I was looking for a big change and I love being creative with code so that is all I needed to take the plunge and move to Milwaukee from Orlando, FL to start my adventure.

The sign up process is pretty simple, but very thorough.  You will have to attend a couple of one on one interviews in which you will be shown the facility, possibly meet some students, and be reinforced the level of difficulty of the program.  This is not a tactic to scare you, just to help prepare you for the amount of work you will receive.  Most people in the program started it with little to no experience in coding, so do not think that you will be alone – there will be plenty of people who can relate to what you are going through.

Like I said before, my experience with coding was using basic HTML and CSS language.  To date, I have been in the fulltime program for six weeks and can honestly say that I do not regret my decision.  During my time here, we have tackled Javascript and are now learning C#.  I will not lie and say that the process has been a picnic, but what is comforting is that you are never without support when you reach a rough patch.  You can find support from an instructor, or from other students.  Everyone is super understanding and willing to help because they are your devFamily (cheesy – I know).  You will receive multiple projects, some fairly simple and some that are more comprehensive and challenging.  You will come to class one day full of confidence, and the next completely stumped on an obstacle that racked your brain for many hours.  Again, the instructors are there to help, however the most liberating feeling you will have is when you overcome the obstacle and just want to scream with joy (some do).

If you find yourself interested in software development, are looking for a change of pace, and like the idea of challenging the standards of education, devCodeCamp might be a great fit for you.  You will only know if you give it a shot.