Devlogo black sq

devCodeCamp

Full-Time Employee
Full-Time Apprenticeship, internship or Contract Position
Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Unemployed and still seeking a job
Unemployed and not still seeking a job

Non Reporting

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.

View Our Salary Data Representative of the Milwaukee Market http://devcodecamp.com/outcomes/

Recent devCodeCamp News

Read all (6) articles about devCodeCamp →

Recent devCodeCamp Reviews: Rating 4.56

all (49) reviews for devCodeCamp →

1 Campus

Milwaukee

1 Course
333 North Plankinton Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53203
AngularJS, Python, JavaScript, .NET, HTML, Git, C#, ASP.NET, SQL, CSSIn PersonFull Time50 Hours/week

What does it mean to be a software developer? At devCodeCamp, we believe it means you dream big, want to solve problems, and think creatively. Here, we walk you though the entire process of making applications that people can use every day. This not only includes the functionality of the software, but how do you write it in a flexible, robust way so that your code may even outlive you. To dive into software development on your own can be overwhelming. There seem to be countless libraries, frameworks, and programming languages out there. Beginners get lost in big words, complicated problems, and the slew of technologies used to bring ideas to reality. We, at devCodeCamp, simplify the process for you with an easy to understand curriculum and personal lectures and projects. Learn more: http://devcodecamp.com/software-development-bootcamp/ From the start, you will dive into programming languages and tools used by major corporations and tech companies. Our projects harness the fun of coding along with the challenges commonly faced by software developers. Good software development stems from good software design, and we take full advantage of that aspect to make learning as entertaining and enticing as possible. After all we want you to love learning and spending time in our coding community.

Course Details

devCodeCamp has a network of financing partners.
Visit http://devcodecamp.com/grants
Interview
Beginner
2 weeks (10-15 hours per week)

Please submit this review with a valid email

You must provide a valid email to submit your review. Your review will not appear on the live Course Report site until you confirm it.

7/7/2017
5/11/2016

Our latest on devCodeCamp

• September Coding Bootcamp News Roundup

Liz Eggleston10/7/2015

Welcome to the September News Roundup, your monthly news digest full of the most interesting articles and announcements in the bootcamp space. Do you want something considered for the next News Roundup? Submit announcements of new courses, scholarships, or open jobs at your school!

This Week on Course Report:

Aquisitions, Fundraises & Regulation

New Campuses + Courses:

September Must-Reads

Have a great October!

• August Coding Bootcamp News Roundup

Harry Hantel9/3/2015

Welcome to the August News Roundup, your monthly news digest full of the most interesting articles and announcements in the bootcamp space. Do you want something considered for the next News Roundup? Submit announcements of new courses, scholarships, or open jobs at your school!

• Student Spotlight: Erik, DevCodeCamp

Liz Eggleston7/17/2015

Erik had a degree in Aviation and an MBA when he decided to change careers. He had enough experince with traditional education to know he didn’t want another 4-year degree, so Erik researched coding bootcamps in Milwaukee, and enrolled at DevCodeCamp. We chat with Erik about the “sub-level program” during DevCodeCamp’s application process, the AngularJS project (called ThisIsPrettyNeat, which is actually pretty neat) he created, and going on interviews for his first job as a developer.

What you were doing before you started at Dev Code Camp?

I have a Bachelor of Science in Aviation. Before joining DevCodeCamp, I was a corporate pilot for a small company based out of Naperville, Illinois.

What motivated you change careers?

After spending seven years in the aviation field, this past January I decided to make a career change into software development and computer programming. The development field has always interested me and I found myself exploring it further. I loved what I saw! I made the change to foster this love, and, also, to "future-proof" my life. Software development is the future and I want to be right with it!

When and why did you start doing research about coding bootcamps?

I started my education research this past January.

Since I already have a college degree, I did not want to go back to a 4-year school for Computer Science because I knew I would need to retake the same general education requirements I had during my undergrad. With cost-of-education being an issue, I decided the traditional route was not a viable option as I would have to pay for education I already had.

I read an article on LifeHacker.com about three different education paths I could take to get into the development field: through a traditional 4-year educational program, through self-study, and through a bootcamp. After exploring all three options, I decided that a coding bootcamp sounded like the best fit for me; especially since I already had a Bachelors and Masters degree.

With a traditional 3-credit college course, a student spends, roughly, three hours in that class each week. By those same standards, in one day at DevCodeCamp, we cover about three weeks of that course’s material. After 12 weeks, I completed 4 years of Computer Science courses.  This intense immersion is what I was looking for.

Were you in Illinois when you started researching boot camps?

I found out about DevCodeCamp when I moved back to Wisconsin. Prior to that, I was researching coding bootcamps in the Chicago-area. One focused on iOS and app development and the other was a front-end development boot camp. But, since I had already moved to Wisconsin, when I found out I could attend a bootcamp close to home at DevCodeCamp, I felt it was a good opportunity.

What was your technical experience like? Did you ever take a computer science class in your undergrad?

Coming in to devCodeCamp, I had very limited technical experience. I took a Computer Science class in high school, but it only taught me how computers physically work.

After college, I took some courses on Codecademy, which were very informative, but I found some material to be slightly outdated. Plus, when I had questions about the topics, I did not have someone to ask.

Do you have specific career goals when you graduate or are you keeping your options open?

With regards to a career, I just want to develop...and know I will be happy anywhere I can do that! As for my interests, I’m personally drawn to the front-end. I love design and making products look great. I’m also very interested in mobile app development. That being said, I’ve challenged myself, a lot, to work on the back-end because I understand being a full-stack developer is crucial to getting a good job. It is also crucial to allowing myself to develop as a developer and becoming the best I can be.

DevCodeCamp teaches web development, right? Or are you learning iOS as well?

This course predominantly focuses on back-end development...especially C#.Net. That is what employers are looking for in the Milwaukee area, which is why devCodeCamp chose it as a focal point rather than Java or C++ or another language.

In addition to C#, we also focused on Python for 2 ½ weeks and JavaScript for 3. HTML and CSS were briefly touched on, but a majority of what I know about them came from my own personal study.

As for other languages, our instructors encouraged us to dive into any we were interested in. After learning core development concepts, I found picking up new languages in this immersive environment became much easier.

Tell us about the application process at DevCodeCamp. Did you do a technical interview or was it a culture interview?

There were a number of steps in the application process. After expressing interest in the school, the first step was getting my application in. From here, I had an in-person interview with the head instructors, and they asked about my background, why I wanted to take the course, and where I wanted to go with it.

The next step places applicants in a Sub-Level program. The sub-levels are designed to ensure that any student accepted at devCodeCamp is mentally capable of completing the course. It checks for basic math knowledge, reading comprehension, and the ability to find patterns in cognitive puzzles...a lot of which is logically relevant in development. The Sub-Level program also brings applicants to the same knowledge level...we learned about basic computer terminology, such as debugging and compiling, and some other useful knowledge so on Day One, instructors had a base-line to teach from.

After completing the Sub-Levels, I had my final interview. In it I was tested on comprehension of my Sub-Level knowledge, which I passed, and was given further information about the content of the course and what was expected of me as a student. By the end of the meeting I was formally accepted into the program.

Did you ever do a technical coding challenge?

There was no technical coding challenge required to be accepted into devCodeCamp. Most of the students in my cohort had not written a line of code before their first day. We just possessed a desire to learn.

How many people are in your cohort?

Five.

This is a small class, but is it diverse?

To be honest, we are all white men between the ages of 21-40. It’s not particularly diverse, but I know there are a number of scholarships out there for women who want to get into development. I know that devCodeCamp is trying to stress that.

Who are the DevCodeCamp instructors?

Dave is the head of instruction. He’s the one we go to with a majority of our problems, questions, and concerns. That being said, there are many instructors here who specialize in certain languages, teaching their respective knowledges to us. But outside of lecture, every instructor is available to help.

What does a typical day look like? Do you have lectures or is the curriculum project-driven?

Our days vary depending on what we are working on.

At the start of learning each language, there were a lot of lectures because we had to absorb a lot of knowledge. Those lectures were then paired with labs that reinforced the concepts we had just learned.

After core-concepts had been absorbed, we were given both individual and group projects to complete using the language we were learning. These projects allowed us to apply our knowledge in a real-world application interest.

But despite the lack of a “standard day,” we are coding every single day, continually building upon that which we already know. In an immersion setting, learning comes very quickly.

Do you like learning .NET and C#? Are you satisfied with that curriculum?

I do! It may not be my favorite language out of the three that we’ve learned, but it has allowed me to focus on very important components of development; namely object-oriented programming, which is huge in software development.

I am very satisfied with the curriculum at devCodeCamp! By the time I am finished here, I will have focused on Python and JavaScript for 2 ½ - 3, each, and C# for about 6-7 weeks. I found as I started learning more languages, each new language I learned became exponentially easier because I already had the core concepts of development down. As a student, that is very comforting to experience because I know I am developing as a developer. Another big component of this course I enjoyed was career placement development. This included dedicated help with resume building and interview tutoring. As someone who has not had much of that and is switching careers, I feel, it was one of the most helpful and informative parts of this course.

How many hours would you say you’re spending on DevCodeCamp?

10 to 12 hours a day. We get here at about 8 in the morning and many of us stay until 7 or 8 at night. Over the 12 weeks of this course, I will have spent 600+ hours in an immersive coding learning environment.

Have you felt burnout at all working 12 hours a day for 12 weeks?

I’d call it “temporary burnout.” For example, yesterday I was very frustrated because I was in a deadlock trying to figure out a problem I had. I kept looking at the same code over and over again but could not come to a resolution. When this happens, though, I find taking a 10 minute break and approaching a problem with a fresh outlook usually helps. As a developer, I understand that this frustration will happen. I think it’s important to figure out how to personally overcome it.

You’re not quite finished with the course yet, but have you had a chance to reflect on your experience? Has there been a good feedback loop?

At the end of each language, we were given an evaluation sheet to fill out and an opportunity to talk about the things we liked/didn’t like, along with any suggestions for future courses. No matter the type, these are always taken with enthusiasm by our instructors.

I think the instructors are definitely passionate about teaching. I always feel like I can approach them whenever I need to ask a question. One of our instructors, I know, can read uncertainty on my face when I don’t understand something...and he’ll explain things to me over and over again until I do. I think that persistence is very important, especially when we’re learning something that we’re not familiar with, and I appreciate it.

Can you tell us about a project that you worked on while at DevCodeCamp?

Yes! When we were learning JavaScript, I developed the web-app www.ThisIsPrettyNeat.com. It is a subscription-based service that aggregates daily inspirational and positive news stories using Pocket's API, JavaScript, PHP, and HTML/CSS. One of the requirements for that project was using minimum 4 JavaScript libraries.

Which libraries did you use?

jQuery was the main one. In addition, I used an API integration with Pocket’s JavaScript/Python API, Smooth-Scroll.js, which automatically scrolls a page rather than chopping it from one page view to the other, and multiple hover libraries that allowed attractive mouse-over animations with the page links.

It looks great. Did you work on it alone or as a class?

Thank you! That was an individual project.

So did you do a JavaScript project, a Python project and a C#/.Net project?

Yes. We did a Python group and individual project, a JavaScript individual project, and we are, right now, in the middle of a C# group project. In addition, before the course ends, we will probably have an individual C# project as well.

Tell us about approach to job prep.

There has been a lot of emphasis on job prep in our course. One day each week we meet with a career development counselor; a dedicated instructor who is familiar with the components of how to get a job in the tech field. He comes in and talks with us for about 2 ½ hours on all topics relating to career placement. Through this, we’ve developed our resume, social media presence, and are currently learning how to interview.

For many of us, this path is a career change. The idea of a technical interview is very nerve-wrecking if you don’t know what to expect before going in. That’s what they are helping us with here.

I’ve done a number of interviews so far and, aside from general butterflies, have not felt unprepared or like I did not belong in them. I think the course has done a good job preparing me.

How many interviews have you gone on?

I am hoping to have a job by the time we graduate! That would be my ideal situation. I’ve been on 5 phone interviews and two technical interviews so far.

Were those interviews set up by Dev Code Camp?

Two of them were set up through devCodeCamp. The other three were through me.

For the ones that were set up yourself, can you give us any secrets? How did you get those interviews?

I went online and searched “development jobs in Milwaukee.” There are SO many websites dedicated to this particular search! With them, I looked for jobs I was qualified for or that interested me and applied.

I have really enjoyed the interview process! I find it is kind of like dating...you go out with someone and then wait, eagerly, for that first text or phone call after saying they had a fun time...that’s the same feeling I get after receiving an email from a company I applied to saying, “We’ve seen your application and we’d like to talk to set up an interview.”

Do you have an idea of the type of company that you want to work for?

Right now I’m looking for a developer position and I do not care where that is! I just want to develop!

Where is the DevCodeCamp classroom?

It is on the top floor of a building just outside of Milwaukee, WI.

As for the setup, they spared no expense here! They did it right! There are smart boards, top of the line computers, and anything we need for learning. There is even free Starbucks coffee, on demand, every single day! That is such a luxury for me!

To learn more about DevCodeCamp, check out their School Page on Course Report or the DevCodeCamp website

• Instructor Spotlight: Dave Gold, devCodeCamp

Liz Eggleston4/24/2015

When Dave Gold was approached by Milwaukee coding bootcamp devCodeCamp to teach software design, he jumped at the chance to build a coding curriculum from the ground up. As devCodeCamp prepares for their first cohort in April, we talk to Dave about preparing a curriculum around the demands of the Milwaukee job market, the rigorous process of accreditation, and how he plans to create a realistic working environment with project-based learning and job preparation from day one.

Tell us about your background in programming and education.

I graduated with a degree in Computer Science and got a job working in C# and .NET that took me to Shanghai. There, I learned to develop in an enormous ERP product from a team of Chinese developers who I looked up to. I came back to the Milwaukee office of my company and I taught that knowledge to existing developers to help sharpen their skills.

Next in a senior development role I worked on leading projects and coordinating with multiple developers at a time.  Next I did a some functional product design and finally project management to gain perspective of software I designed used by customers.

How were you introduced to DevCodeCamp?

Linked-In, it all happened as a development bootcamp should-> through technology.

Is there a demand for jobs in Milwaukee for .NET?

Yes, and that was determined through a market analysis. devCodeCamp reached out to all sorts of recruiters and companies and asked their opinions on it and they said, “Yes! We love C-Sharp/.NET!” We’re also teaching JavaScript because it’s on the rise.

Since you learned to be a developer in a traditional 4-year Computer Science degree, did you have to be convinced of this bootcamp model?

No, I didn’t really have to be convinced. It’s something that I knew could be done. When I went through my 4-year degree, I didn’t really learn about modern development tools and I think this is an opportunity to show people that there are better ways; you don’t have to hit your head against the wall trying to figure things out. It’s a supportive environment.

Do you think it’s important to incorporate some of the theory learned in a CS degree into the bootcamp or are the two siloed?

I think they’re siloed in some respects. I think that what we’re trying to do is find the happy medium, where we take everything that’s valuable out of a 4-year degree and combine it with real world experience and create a very valuable educational experience.

Have you been involved in developing the devCodeCamp curriculum from the beginning?

Absolutely; it’s my baby.

How have you decided what to include and exclude?

The main thing I wanted to do is make sure what the students learn is in-demand. We’re partnering with employers in and outside of the Milwaukee area. We plan to keep talking to them about the technologies that they use, and the languages that they use.

That being said, we’re creating software developers regardless of what language they write so that they’re adaptable and can work in another technology if their role requires it. I think that gives our graduates a little bit of an edge.

And what language does devCodeCamp teach?

We teach JavaScript, Python, C#, and .NET for our pilot program. We started building this program at DevCodeCamp, and started with Python because it’s a great introductory language for programming as well as data science. We’re also teaching JavaScript and then we’re going to move into C# and .NET which is huge in the Milwaukee area.

Does devCodeCamp have to meet a minimum placement rate?

We have to meet a threshold. For everybody who is admitted to devCodeCamp, we have a minimum 70% graduation rate and we have an 70% job placement rate of those graduates.

Will you all be publishing those numbers regularly?

Absolutely; we’re very transparent. And just to be clear, those numbers are minimums. Of course we’re striving for 100% but at the very bare minimum, we have to meet those numbers.

You’re starting your first bootcamp on April 13th. How many people will be in that first class?

We’re still figuring out the final roster, but we’re keeping it purposefully small because we recognize that we’re new and we want to make sure that the first cohort goes well and that we can make changes if we need to. Our maximum is 24

Are you the main instructor?

This time around I’m going to be the main instructor. We have a few other instructors who are revving and ready to go, and will help out with teaching in the future.

Have you found an ideal student at devCodeCamp? Are there technical requirements to get in?

Beginners can absolutely excel at devCodeCamp. I think being able to write software requires more of a personality than a knowledge base. If a person is driven and can sit in front of a desk and not leave until the problem is solved, they can be successful. They must have that drive and persistence.

Do you have a coding challenge in the application for admissions?

We do have something called “sub-level” and it’s part of our admissions process. It’s a series of small coding challenges emailed to applicants.

Will you be doing assessments or exams throughout the coding bootcamp? What’s your approach to evaluating students?

Each section – so the JavaScript, Python and C# sections – will have an oral exam at the end where we’ll assess whether or not they’re ready to go to the next one or whether we need to do some work.

What is the DevCodeCamp teaching style? Is the class project-based or driven by lecture?

Both. We’re going to start with a lecture in the morning. I really don’t want to be talking for hours because I believe that people learn by doing, especially in software. The lecture will be about half an hour long, in which we’ll bounce topics back and forth, show real world examples, and why we’re going to use these concepts.

Then we’ll go into the lab, where we enforce that knowledge that we just talked about; we jump to the lab so that they get that practice. After the lab, students then go back to the project work where they get to their projects and features and incorporate what they just learned into it.

Are those projects collaborative?

Students pair programming and also work collaboratively in groups.Collaboration, Communication, and Creativity is key to a successful software developer.

Are you incorporating job preparation into the curriculum?

From the first couple of weeks, students are going to meet with our student outcomes department. There’s also dedicated class time set aside every other week where students will work on their resumes and practicing interviewing.

Job prep is really well integrated into the program. I want it to be fluid and give them time to think about how they want create their own personal brand, present themselves and contrive their resume. It is very important for students to think about how they want to talk to employers and present themselves.

Do you have hiring partners already?

Yes! We’ve gotten a lot of positive reactions and excitement, our advantage right out of the gate is the fact that we have been placing graduates for over 10 years in IT related positions and another 10 years beyond that in IT and software corporate training so our hiring network is wide and developed.  Those relationships are a big bonus for our students

Will devCodeCamp students do a capstone project?

Yes, and they will work several projects throughout the entire bootcamp.

Are you teaching full time with devCodeCamp? Do you have time for other projects like your own personal projects or freelance work?

Absolutely. I’m a full time employee and we’re looking for full time instructors.

I’m making it a point to all of our instructional staff that we spend 10% - 20% of our time working on our own personal projects. I think it’s important because you can talk code all day but the world keeps evolving and we need to stay updated.

Learn more about the Milwaukee coding bootcamp on Course Report or the devCodeCamp website!

• February Coding Bootcamp News Roundup

Harry Hantel12/15/2016

Welcome to the February News Roundup, your monthly news digest full of the most interesting articles and announcements in the bootcamp space. Want your bootcamp's news to be included in the next News Roundup?

Submit announcements of new courses, scholarships, or open jobs at your school!

• Exclusive Course Report Bootcamp Scholarships

Liz Eggleston8/12/2014

Looking for coding bootcamp exclusive scholarships, discounts and promo codes? Course Report has exclusive discounts to the top programming bootcamps!

Questions? Email scholarships@coursereport.com