concordia-bootcamps-logo

Concordia Bootcamps

Concordia Bootcamps

Concordia Bootcamps partners with universities to offer online coding and data science bootcamps. These bootcamps prepare students for careers in tech, and offer a university certificate upon graduation. The bootcamps also teach students how to navigate the job market, how to market themselves, and how to network. Concordia Bootcamps is headquartered in Montreal, Canada.

Concordia Bootcamps formerly went by the name DecodeMTL and Journey Education.

Recent Concordia Bootcamps Reviews: Rating 4.78

all (118) reviews for Concordia Bootcamps →

Recent Concordia Bootcamps News

Read all (6) articles about Concordia Bootcamps →
  • Web Development Diploma

Express.js, Front End, Git, GitHub, HTML, JavaScript, MongoDB, Node.js, React.js, CSS
    Our flagship 12-week online coding bootcamp focuses on teaching you full-stack web development, with a heavy focus on JavaScript. As a graduate, you will earn a university certificate and have access to our team of career coaches and employer partners.
  • Web Development Diploma (Part-Time)

CSS, Express.js, Front End, Git, GitHub, HTML, JavaScript, MongoDB, Node.js, React.js
  • Learn by doing
    - 12/1/2017
    Sadnan  User Photo
    Sadnan • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    DecodeMtl does exactly what it promises. It is a high intensity bootcamp, where they will provide all the necessary tools and resources for you to come out as a competent web developer. They provide you with great instructors, resources and teaches you by making you write lots and lots of code. I am a software engineering student and had a fair bit of coding experience before joining the bootcamp (not in JavaScript though). So naturally, at first I was worried if this course was too basic for me but on our first meeting Kevin had assured me that I would be challenged. They kept their word. I got to learn a lot in a very short span of time. If I had to teach myself all this through online resources, it would have taken at least a couple years more. They also focus on the latest technologies which traditional schools or universities don't in my experience. While you won't learn about time and space complexity of algorithms and data structures, instead you will learn relevant practical coding skills needed to build actual deployable products. I certainly came out as a programmer with a lot more confidence in my coding abilities regardless of the language I am working with. After you graduate, they provide a lot of assistance to you for landing a job. I personally had to go back to school but Kevin assured me I could come back whenever I was looking for a job in the field. My only criticism would be, I thought the bootcamp was a week to short. As you really learn the most and the fastest near the end. Also the TAs stay up to 6 everyday, sometimes till 9. It would be even better if they stayed till 9 more often but then again no one wants to stay in office that late :p. My final advice would be, if you do decide to do this, understand that it is a huge time commitment and expect to stay late into the night. While Decode does their part, it is upto you to grind out the results. You got to do your part to get the best results. 10/10 would recommend.
  • Eddy Drew  User Photo
    Eddy Drew • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had a solid experience with Decode despite having very little programming experience. The stacks that were taught are extremely relevant in my opinion. I landed a job as a Wordpress developer after graduating, and with my experience in sales and management, I feel comfortable leading a team of developers.

Pros:

-Intense and gruelling; best way to learn

-Project-based (you're writing code all the time and producing original applications)

-Job placement services: it shows that Decode puts their money where their mouth is

Cons:

-Not enough TA's (although this forces you to be more independent and figure things out on your own)

My two sense: this coding bootcamp works best for people who have strong fundamentals in programming and who want to find a job as a junior web developer. If you're thinking about enrolling, my suggestion is to spend at least 3-6 months learning to code on your own in Javascript and get comfortable with it. This way you won't feel like you are punching above your weight. Fortunately Decode offers a free bootcamp prep course that you can finish in that time.

Good luck!

• Great experience.
    - 9/18/2017
    Armel-Styuart Chiza  User Photo
    Armel-Styuart Chiza • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Good experience. A high value was taken from only 8 weeks of the Bootcamp. Good assistance, and job application support.  Great location and overall coding vibes.

• Paul  User Photo
    Paul • Full-stack Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I was skeptical about bootcamps in general. Comp sci students take a minimum of three years to be ready to apply for software development jobs.

However, the 8 week program really gave me enough practical knowledge to be able to do well in the position I'm in now (funded, high-growth startup). To my own surprise, I passed the technical interview "with flying colours". Most comp sci graduates finish school with really good theoretical knowledge of how to build algorithms and the like. That's really interesting knowledge, but most jobs don't require too much of this type of skill. They require knowledge of modern libraries and methodologies, all of which I learned through Decode.

So, if you already have a university degree (like I did), don't go back to school. Do a bootcamp. If you're in Montreal, do Decode. They've been around the longest, and the Kevin/Ziad combo probably know more people recruiting software developers than anyone else in the bootcamp business in Montreal. This part is really important for organizing a proper demo day (I found my current gig there).

I also want to give a shout-out to the post bootcamp job assistance. The support doesn't end after 8 weeks. They do mock interviews (both technical and culture fit), they help review your CV, and put you in touch with a bunch of different recruitors. It's surprising how much this can help out in your career change.

• Eric  User Photo
    Eric • Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

TL;DR - Before Decode, I had no experience with coding. 10 weeks later, I had a job.

If you're considering DecodeMTL, I would highly recommend it. There is seemingly endless ways of learning web-development, but for me Decode made the most sense.

Decode is an intense two months, but if you throw yourself into it, you will be in a good position to succeed afterwards.

Everyday, you have tutorials for several hours in the morning, and then the rest is spent on workshops that build off that material. The projects that you end up doing are fun and portfolio worthy. We built everything from a weather app, to a reddit clone.

One of the things I most appreciated about it was the fact that we as students, had 1-on-1 teacher access for about 11 hours everyday, and they never hesitated to answer your questions via slack outside of school hours. They won't straight up tell you how to solve your problems, but they will help steer you towards figuring it out on your own and will always make sure you understand why you got the result you did.

The final Demo-day was a unique experience. This is a very cool part of the course. You end up presenting your work to a room full of potential employers, and it was through this I met the company I now work for.

They don't just kick you out the door at the end of the 8 weeks. The next week - if you want it - is for helping you with the job search. They do mock interviews both regular and technical, and help you currate your portfolio, resume, and linked in.

If you want a program that asks a lot of you, but gives you a lot in return, Decode is it. From the top down, they genuinely care about you succeeding, and if you put in the effort, you will.

• Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Graduate Verified via GitHub

My experience at DecodeMTL was extremely rewarding. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to launch their career in web development, regardless of your background. The class size is small and very dynamic. You will learn a lot and work a lot - expect to spend your days and evenings there. If you are looking for an easy pass into learning how to code, this is definitely not it. Decode will teach you everything you need to know, and have a really good support system with the TA's, but they will not hold your hand. They will make sure you are really understanding what you are doing and why you are doing it. The more work and focus you put in, the more reward you will get out of it.

I would recommend going into the program with as much javascript knowledge as possible. This will greatly assist with the learning curve and will allow you to understand the more difficult concepts much quicker. I would recommend doing the Decode prep course, as well as an extra month or two of hard study, prior to starting the bootcamp - you will get much more out of the program.

The quality of instruction is really good. Ziad and the TA's do a really great job of simplifying complicated topics. Ziad loves what he does and really wants his students to understand and succeed.

If you're disciplined and driven, you will thrive at Decode. Clear your schedule for 8 weeks and make the most of it.

10/10 recommend.

• changed my life
    - 6/9/2022
    Janette • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate
    When they say the course is intense, they are not kidding around. I do wish they were a bit more organized and cohesive between the instructors but over all the experience helped me to grow as a person and I did learn a LOT of new information.

However, I would have to say that the best part for me was definitely the career services after the program had ended. I worked with a woman named Penny and she really made me feel supported and heard. She went above and beyond to make sure that I was able to find a job that I really like and get access to the companies that I deserved to connect with. Penny rules.
  • Rahin • SDR • Graduate
    My overall experience was amazing and I would highly recommend the course to anyone interested in tech, likes to help people and is ready for a challenge. A change in a career takes a lot of work and determination. The Bluebird team is really there to guide you and help you with a life-changing experience.  Everyone is so friendly and supportive!

Instructors: My instructor Scott Tower was an amazing teacher. He was open and understanding. He went above and beyond with great actionable support. He really helped in any way he could to land a tech sales role.

Curriculum: The class was quite a fun challenge but really prepared me to 100% jump into a tech sales role and be successful.  It was always very interesting and Scott always answered everyone's questions and dug deep into the material.

Job Assistance: Having a career coach is a huge difference maker, between regular post-secondary and Bluebird.  My career coach Penny Mancuso helped me stay on track and build up my weaknesses. She was open, kind, supported and helped me gain a new perspective on job hunting. I had an awesome experience doing interview prep and would recommend her to anyone trying to land a role.
  • Hard but worth it!
    - 3/19/2022
    Amelia H • Graduate
    Prior to this course, I had never written a single line of code. I think most people in this course would definitely agree that the course is hard! It was one of the most difficult things I have ever done in my life. However, it was well worth it. The instructors are incredibly supportive and if you're giving your best, they are with you every step of the way. While it was a lot of work I could see myself learning and building on previous skills. What I ended doing for my final project was something that me on day one would have never believed.

Finally, the job coaches are fantastic. My coach helped me prepare for interviews, how to make my linked-in more attractive, told me off(gently) when I doubted myself, and all-around was a great support for a time that is known to be stressful. The career week was helpful in understanding the jobs I was looking for, and was a nice introduction into the industry. I would recommend!
  • Jide O. • Graduate
    The bootcamp was quite intense. Since I did the full-time option, it really was 10-12 hours a day, 5-6 days a week of hard work. By the end of the third week, you get used to sitting in front of your computer screen solving hard (real-life) problems. Luckily, you also get incredible support from the instructors who will try to help you figure things out when you get stuck (and not give the answers away). So, despite the spartan schedule, it was actually fun. It wasn’t hard, and I felt like everything was within reach.

Pros:
    The curriculum covers most major machine learning techniques so you get to work on a lot of relevant projects throughout your course.
    You make friends along the way - as people are just in the same boat as you are, figuring things out together makes you a sort of "band of brothers".
    Your determination is tested immensely and if you match up to it, you will absolutely make headway.
    The lectures had so much knowledge and information, and instructors were frequently available to clarify things during the workshops.
    Your programming skills are sharpened in a relatively short time

This program was really worth the investment in myself as the value that students get from it is pretty astounding in terms of the content. However, it works well if you work at it. There's only so much the instructors can do by way of information, you are required to solve the problems yourself.

• Charlotte • Graduate
    It was the best decision I could take!
    It is really intense and as long as you work hard you got this. I did the Data Science Bootcamps, I learnt so much about Data Science while I was a complete beginner didn't know much about code. We see Python, visualization, algorithm, regression, clustering, classification, time series, SQL, predictive modelling. We can work together on workshop and we have group project. The instructors were awesome, tried to explained and break down complex things.
    The coach and technical coach are awesome and really help with your resume, your cover letter, your LinkedIn profil, trained you to passed interview.
  • Ned Marafawi • Graduate
    Before the bootcamp I did a little of bit of HTML, CSS and JavaScript but never went too deep. I think learning the basics is very important. Otherwise, you will struggle a lot. Now, the structure of the workshops, the projects and all the instructors are all absolutely gold and so well organized. Plus, once you graduate the carrier service and the events is something that I've never experienced before. They really take care of you and help you till the end. It is totally worth the money as long you take it serious and remember to ask questions if you don't understand something. Don't be shy!