concordia-bootcamps-logo

Concordia Bootcamps

Montreal, Online

Concordia Bootcamps

Concordia Bootcamps partners with universities to offer online coding and data science bootcamps. These bootcamps prepare students for careers in tech, and offer a university certificate upon graduation. The bootcamps also teach students how to navigate the job market, how to market themselves, and how to network. Concordia Bootcamps is headquartered in Montreal, Canada.

Concordia Bootcamps formerly went by the name DecodeMTL and Journey Education.

Recent Concordia Bootcamps Reviews: Rating 4.76

all (94) reviews for Concordia Bootcamps →

Recent Concordia Bootcamps News

Read all (6) articles about Concordia Bootcamps →
  • Data Science Diploma (Online)

LocationOnline, Montreal
    Master the skills necessary to become a successful Data Scientist - from fundamentals of math & stats to machine learning, data engineering, and so much more. As a graduate, you will earn a university certificate, as well as gain access to our career services team and employer partnerships.
  • Web Development Diploma (Online)

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End, GitHub
    LocationOnline, Montreal
    Our flagship 12-week online coding bootcamp focuses on teaching you full-stack web development, with a heavy focus on JavaScript. As a graduate, you will earn a university certificate and have access to our team of career coaches and employer partners.
  • Eddy Drew  User Photo
    Eddy Drew • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had a solid experience with Decode despite having very little programming experience. The stacks that were taught are extremely relevant in my opinion. I landed a job as a Wordpress developer after graduating, and with my experience in sales and management, I feel comfortable leading a team of developers.

Pros:

-Intense and gruelling; best way to learn

-Project-based (you're writing code all the time and producing original applications)

-Job placement services: it shows that Decode puts their money where their mouth is

Cons:

-Not enough TA's (although this forces you to be more independent and figure things out on your own)

My two sense: this coding bootcamp works best for people who have strong fundamentals in programming and who want to find a job as a junior web developer. If you're thinking about enrolling, my suggestion is to spend at least 3-6 months learning to code on your own in Javascript and get comfortable with it. This way you won't feel like you are punching above your weight. Fortunately Decode offers a free bootcamp prep course that you can finish in that time.

Good luck!

• Great experience.
    - 9/19/2017
    Armel-Styuart Chiza  User Photo
    Armel-Styuart Chiza • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Good experience. A high value was taken from only 8 weeks of the Bootcamp. Good assistance, and job application support.  Great location and overall coding vibes.

• Paul  User Photo
    Paul • Full-stack Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I was skeptical about bootcamps in general. Comp sci students take a minimum of three years to be ready to apply for software development jobs.

However, the 8 week program really gave me enough practical knowledge to be able to do well in the position I'm in now (funded, high-growth startup). To my own surprise, I passed the technical interview "with flying colours". Most comp sci graduates finish school with really good theoretical knowledge of how to build algorithms and the like. That's really interesting knowledge, but most jobs don't require too much of this type of skill. They require knowledge of modern libraries and methodologies, all of which I learned through Decode.

So, if you already have a university degree (like I did), don't go back to school. Do a bootcamp. If you're in Montreal, do Decode. They've been around the longest, and the Kevin/Ziad combo probably know more people recruiting software developers than anyone else in the bootcamp business in Montreal. This part is really important for organizing a proper demo day (I found my current gig there).

I also want to give a shout-out to the post bootcamp job assistance. The support doesn't end after 8 weeks. They do mock interviews (both technical and culture fit), they help review your CV, and put you in touch with a bunch of different recruitors. It's surprising how much this can help out in your career change.

• Eric  User Photo
    Eric • Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

TL;DR - Before Decode, I had no experience with coding. 10 weeks later, I had a job.

If you're considering DecodeMTL, I would highly recommend it. There is seemingly endless ways of learning web-development, but for me Decode made the most sense.

Decode is an intense two months, but if you throw yourself into it, you will be in a good position to succeed afterwards.

Everyday, you have tutorials for several hours in the morning, and then the rest is spent on workshops that build off that material. The projects that you end up doing are fun and portfolio worthy. We built everything from a weather app, to a reddit clone.

One of the things I most appreciated about it was the fact that we as students, had 1-on-1 teacher access for about 11 hours everyday, and they never hesitated to answer your questions via slack outside of school hours. They won't straight up tell you how to solve your problems, but they will help steer you towards figuring it out on your own and will always make sure you understand why you got the result you did.

The final Demo-day was a unique experience. This is a very cool part of the course. You end up presenting your work to a room full of potential employers, and it was through this I met the company I now work for.

They don't just kick you out the door at the end of the 8 weeks. The next week - if you want it - is for helping you with the job search. They do mock interviews both regular and technical, and help you currate your portfolio, resume, and linked in.

If you want a program that asks a lot of you, but gives you a lot in return, Decode is it. From the top down, they genuinely care about you succeeding, and if you put in the effort, you will.

• Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Graduate Verified via GitHub

My experience at DecodeMTL was extremely rewarding. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to launch their career in web development, regardless of your background. The class size is small and very dynamic. You will learn a lot and work a lot - expect to spend your days and evenings there. If you are looking for an easy pass into learning how to code, this is definitely not it. Decode will teach you everything you need to know, and have a really good support system with the TA's, but they will not hold your hand. They will make sure you are really understanding what you are doing and why you are doing it. The more work and focus you put in, the more reward you will get out of it.

I would recommend going into the program with as much javascript knowledge as possible. This will greatly assist with the learning curve and will allow you to understand the more difficult concepts much quicker. I would recommend doing the Decode prep course, as well as an extra month or two of hard study, prior to starting the bootcamp - you will get much more out of the program.

The quality of instruction is really good. Ziad and the TA's do a really great job of simplifying complicated topics. Ziad loves what he does and really wants his students to understand and succeed.

If you're disciplined and driven, you will thrive at Decode. Clear your schedule for 8 weeks and make the most of it.

10/10 recommend.

• Ivan Escalante • Full Stack Developer • Graduate
    In 2019, I had decided that I wanted to do something better for myself and I had seen the Concordia Bootcamps show up in my feed a couple of times on Facebook until one day I checked out the website and found out the possibilities that could be waiting ahead for me. So at that moment I evaluated my budget and I was good to go.
    From the moment I started the bootcamp, I had access to a multitude of resources and the only thing that could set me back was actually just me. Being part of the part-time cohort, it allowed me to keep my full-time job as well as reserving some time in the evening and weekend to code away. It had been a while since I was challenged to this point in my professional life and that is what I was longing for.
    After graduating, I followed the advices from the career services and my career coach/ technical coach to improve my chances  to secure a job. 2 months later, I was able to get my 1st developer job and I have never felt so accomplished since it took less than a year to achieve this goal that I had set up for myself which was to change careers!
    I definitely would recommend this bootcamp to anyone that is serious and committed to go through the multiple hurdles that comes in a career change and you won't regret it! The instructors and technical coaches are very accessible as well as the career services in case we have questions or need help. My career coach also was invaluable to me as I was able to be accountable for my actions and the support was priceless.
    The curriculum was well-organized and the logic to it made sense in how  it develops you from the fundamentals in order to understand more complex ideas. In the end, everything becomes interconnected which helps to solidify your understanding and are able to work more independently.
  • Gia Thinh Nguyen • Full-Stack Developer • Graduate
    I was initially skeptic at any chance of success jumping into a bootcamp, but after meeting the very dedicated staff there, I take it back. It was far more efficient to learn in this environment than taking any number of online courses, I received detailed feedback on my understanding of topics and my instructors were an amazing source of technical and career knowledge that no MOOC could offer (as far as I've seen). The tech stack is very relevant to the job market as of this review, and I believe in the program's aim to keep the curriculum as modern as possible. I was in the part-time cohort working full-time and time was not my friend. You have to put in the work in and out of the class to truly grasp the concepts and practice your newfound abilities as well as pursue your own interests in coding outside the scope of the course. Your peers are also a great source of learning and motivation. The careers services team delivered great webinars to keep you motivated and to help you prepare your mindset/profile for the jobs you'll be hunting for. We also received updates about the job market during the pandemic and post-graduation. I definitely recommend this route of if you have the determination and commitment to change careers!
  • Mrwan • Full-Stack developer • Graduate
    The curriculum flow is well elaborated. You progress logically, build upon what you learned in the previous lessons and use it directly in workshops to properly assimilate what you learned. Be ready to devote a really big portion of your time to learning, especially if you're new to programming. I did not enlist as a total beginner, but I could see it to be extra demanding and overwhelming for one.

The instructors and teacher are very good at what they do. Tailored technical help is available at your fingertips whenever you feel stuck, albeit in a queue :P. This plays a big part when learning something new and demanding.

After graduating, it is not over. You are offered job support to help you ease your way into a developer position if desired. CV tailoring, mock interviews, building online presence: you can expect things of the like.

My only cons is the steep price for tuition. Though the quality was very good, I believe in my opinion the suggested price is very high.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed my experience and recommended it. Even more if it was a bit less expensive.
  • Kolby • Front End Developer • Graduate
    I was nervous when I first started the Bootcamp, I had next to no knowledge of development (extremely minor html + css). The instructors (Josh + Scott) and Technical Coaches though help you every step of the way. Josh was amazing at delivering the content in such a way that made tricky subjects seem simple. The Technical Coaches (Bryce and Guillaume), would spend however long it took to help me understand a problem during the workshops. Even after hours they would send me documentation to help me further understand. The entire team was welcoming, and made me feel comfortable asking questions and reaching out, which was very important! After graduating, career services took over and we hit the ground running - touching up my resume, LinkedIn, advice for interviews, and weekly goals were set. I truly believe one of the biggest values from Concordia Bootcamps is the incredible Career Services that are offered. From start to finish, the entire team was there to help!
  • Highly recommended
    - 11/4/2020
    Johnny
    I very much enjoyed my time in the Bootcamp. The workshops were practical and challenging. The instructor was very clear and highly knowledgeable. The technical coaches were always willing to help. Career services offers many useful webinars and resources. I was nervous about jumping into a new career after working many years in finance but I have no regrets. I highly recommend this Bootcamp!
  • Paolo Drago • Front end developer • Student
    Bootcamp:
    I took the Concordia Bootcamp Full-Stack Immersive course. I had zero prior coding experience and actually came from a bachelor of arts degree in psychology.. So yeah, no math, intensive sciences etc.. The bootcamp portion of the journey was very hard. But also extremely rewarding. We covered the fundamentals of Javascript and its most used libraries and frameworks (React, Node, Express and more). The teaching assistants that were provided were excellent and knowledgeable about the topic and material which made asking questions simple and helpful. I only which we covered relational databases (MySQL), instead of non-relational databases (MongoDB), however, the team at the bootcamp are very dynamic, so I would not be surprised if they have updated their curriculum or plan to:)!

Career Services:
    I graduated right in the middle of the pandemic. Therefore, the job search was quite challenging, however, the career coach I had (Penny) was truly amazing. She helped me with applications and drastically changed my perceptions on the job search. I owe so much credit to her. We also receive a  technical coach who are usually awesome at helping you with future projects and coding bugs. My technical coach was awesome, she helped me pick up/ learn new coding languages and libraries (MySQL).

All in all, this program would be a great place to learn the fundamentals of coding web applications. It's very challenging but fulfilling in the end. However, for those applying, the team at Concordia Bootcamps expects you to give 100% and they will offer all the support they can in return. You can't just lounge around during the course, you need to give it your best shot. I would recommend this program to anyone willing to work hard and have an open mind about the process!

• Charles • Full Stack Developer • Graduate
    Concordia bootcamps teaches you exactly what you need to know to be relevant in the growing software industry. At the beginning it can be hard to think but at the end it's amazing how much you can learn in 3 months. Take the course was the best decision of my life. I've made so many connections that I won't forget. Scott and the Tc's are amazing and I can't thank them enough. For the career stuff Natasha in incredible. I learn a lot of things that I won't forget. Unfortunately, I started the Bootcamp on campus but COVID-19 happened so we finished the course online. Personally, doing it online was smooth like if I was in class.