code-institute-logo

Code Institute

Code Institute

Code Institute offers upskilling in software development through flexible, full-time and part-time, online bootcamps. The Full Stack Software Development diploma covers HTML, CSS, Python, Django, JavaScript, and competencies such as agile development and project management. Students can choose between part-time and full-time study, and will become a member of an online community of learners. All Code Institute mentors have extensive experience in tech and many of them are professionals in the industry. Code Institute equips students with remote working skills and also provides support services, such as 1:1 mentorship and career services, such as portfolio guidance and job interview preparation. Through Code Institute’s industry contacts and proprietary analytics platform, the Code Institute recruitment team can match a student's strengths and ambitions to an employer's needs.

To apply, candidates can fill out an online form on the Code Institute website. Expect to receive a call from the Code Institute team within 24 hours. After the call, candidates will receive a notification about whether they have been accepted into the program.

Code Institute is a university credit-rated bootcamp in Europe, and validated by the Ministry of Education in Ontario, the Higher Education Authority in Sweden, the Ministry of Communications in Singapore, and the Higher Education Authority in Ireland. Graduates can also earn university credit rated by Edinburgh Napier University. Code Institute graduates have been hired by tech companies like Accenture, Paypal, and Salesforce.

Recent Code Institute Reviews: Rating 4.39

HTML, JavaScript, CSS
    OnlinePart Time5 Hours/week1 Week
    Cost0
    Class size2000
    The 5 Day Challenge allows you to understand coding from both a theoretical and practical point of view. We do this through covering the three pillars of modern front end software development – HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Over the five days, you will receive online access to Code Institute’s world-class Learning Management System (LMS). The course content is structured around the concept of microlearning. Each day you’ll be given a new coding challenge to complete with supporting videos and detailed notes to aid you. You will need to set aside roughly 60 minutes per day (Evenings and Weekend if preferred) to complete each challenge. On completion of all challenges, you’ll learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. More importantly – you’ll find out if becoming a software developer is the next step for you. Start Date: Every Monday. Duration: 1 hour per day for 5 days.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required.
  • Part-Time: Diploma in Software Development

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Python
    Our 9-module programme is delivered through our world-class Learning Management System (LMS). Our support pillars will guide you through these modules and throughout, you will be building your portfolio of four milestone projects. These milestone projects are what your results are based on, and they are what makes your portfolio. Ultimately, they will help you change your career. On successful completion, you will be a qualified software developer within 12 months and in a position to apply for a developer role. This is made easier for students with the assistance of our world-class support from our student care, mentors, tutors, facilitators, and professional software developers. Code Institute’s Part-Time Software Development learning track was created to combine the best features of the classroom and online experiences. This is the fastest way to become qualified and change career to software development. This full stack software development programme provides part-time students with tailored support and a team-learning environment - all with a view to help students push forward and graduate in less than 1 year. Students receive access to world-class support to make their learning journey as effective and satisfying as possible. This includes daily check-in’s, tutoring, mentoring sessions, along with access to community engagement channels such as Slack.
    Tuition PlansPayment Plans Available
    Minimum Skill LevelA basic level of coding knowledge is required.
    Prep WorkAll applicants must complete our free 5 Day Coding Challenge.
  • Excellent course
    - 10/10/2016
    Darragh • Graduate

This is a fantastic bootcamp. I took the 12 week classroom based bootcamp and have never looked back.

The first month is about everything front-end. Whats front end ? Its the look and feel of the website. Its how everything lines up and how the user feels when using your webpage. The skills taught in this area are HTML,CSS,Javascript,Jquery and more.

The main thing about this course is there is always more to learn. You are given the tools to continue learning when you've completed the course. That is such a valuable skill in this industry as web technologies continue to change every couple of years and the ability to learn them in a fast and effecient way is the most valuable thing any developer can have.

The classroom is based in Dublin city centre so was easy to commute to the class every day. You need your own laptop to do this course which is much better than having machines in the class as you can take your work with you.

The price is expensive but nothing out of the ordinary for courses like this. The way I viewed it was an investment in myself and that at the end of the course if I worked hard enough I could land a job with the advertised €30,000 and that number isn't an exageration.

Overall this course has been the best decision in my whole life. It took me out of a rut and taught me the skills to really change my career. I really want to thank everyone involved at the Code Institute for helping me get where I am today.

• Worth the money
    - 2/3/2016
    John Tangney • Graduate

I did the fulltime course. Over four or five months (if you include the pre-course materials) I went from knowing absolutely nothing about coding to being able to build a website with a registration, login, and payment facility and deploy it online. I also got loads of experience in finding out the answers to problems I encounter by looking for them online, and a sense that this is a normal part of web development, so that after the course I know how to solve problems when I no longer have teachers at hand. If I'd been trying learn to code from scratch without the support of experienced teachers, and of colleagues going through the same process, I would've given up. There's no substitute for the informal knowledge-sharing that goes on in a classroom, and the network that you develop there is a resource that lasts beyond the end of the course.

The teachers on the course were extremely conscientious and got us through all the roadblocks in our projects. The next few batches of students will have a much easier time of it because of our difficulties, but you learn as much from fixing the stuff that doesn't work the first time as from the stuff that does. I think the curriculum was basically well designed. We learnt everything the hard way i.e. by first building a webpage using basic html and css, then learning jquery, then learning flexbox and bootstrap, then Angular JS before going on to the backend languages and frameworks, so we got a sense of what underlies the amazing shortcuts that are available before we used them.

The course is expensive but similarly priced to other bootcamps around the world. If you really want to learn to code, and can afford it, I think it's worth the money. You could do it on your own using free online resources but it would've taken me a few years instead of a few months to get to an equivalent level.

• Ronan • Student

This is a coding bootcamp, not a graphic design course.

Everythin was excellent. By the end of this course I had the knowlege to build clones of most major websites on the internet today. My final project was a dating website which had practically identical features to Twitter and Facebook.

The emphasis is mainly on learning to program, which is great because its (in my opinion) the most important aspect of web design. The two star guy is obviously an idiot who doesn't know a thing about software development.

If you want to learn to paint pretty pictures with crayons and colouring pencils, do an art course. If you want to learn how to program with the big boys, this is the bootcamp for you.

• Look elsewhere.
    - 2/3/2016
    Daniel Hoksza • Student

Introduction

I'm a student now but my experiences with this course are so bad that I feel an urge to warn people before investing their money in this course. I have to also mention that I asked them to give me money back, because of my bad experiences with stream 1 I'm going to write about below. There is also stream 2 and stream 3 I've no taken yet.

Do you want to know how to make a nice responsive mobile navigation with a button to hide it? Do you want to know how to make a tooltip? Tabs? Popovers? Photo-slider with testimonials on it?

And the answer for 4500 euros? Add class to Bootstrap. Do you want to know how to make it yourself? Too bad.

I asked the director about it and he told me over the phone "I don't want students to worry about the design, that is why we chose Bootstrap". You know what their sell page says? LEARN HOW TO USE CSS3, FROM BEGINNER BASICS TO ADVANCED TECHNIQUES, BUILDING UPON YOUR HTML5 SKILLS, TO DESIGN AND BUILD BEAUTIFUL RESPONSIVE WEB APPLICATIONS FOR ANY TYPE OF DESKTOP OR MOBILE DEVICE. You won't be taught to design anything, just add a class to Bootstrap. Is it an information worth 4500 euros? Don't you want to know how to design page elements yourself? No? Than this course is for you.

There are tons of free resources where you can learn Bootstrap for free, I expected this course to have something extra considering the amount of money I paid. I got even less than I get from those free resources. Search for DevTips - Travis Neilson, he was recently hired by Google, he is the best teacher I ever had and I've learned a lot on his channel and for free. Btw. he also teaches Bootstrap.

Project for the stream 1

This is what the assignment says:

• Use bootstrap or flexbox for main navigation and grid layout.

Allright, I want to know how to design these page elements so I choose flex-box. I don't want to take any shortcuts in case I'm asked about these in a real job. There was nothing besides flexbox tutorial in the course content, that would help me to create these page elements I've mentioned above. I've searched elsewhere. I expected jQuery lessons to teach me how to create these page elements, but nothing besides pointless exercises on how to change background-color was available. Thanks to my book "Javascript and jQuery by John Ducket",  I've managed to create some tabs and accordion. Also this book is "practical examples" based which helps to remember stuff. This course just teaches you the language, it does not teach you to create anything with it. But so does Codecademy and bunch of other free courses. Is wrong from me to expect a little more for 4500 euros?

• Please use AngularJS as your framework.

After I finished designing the layout of the page which took me much longer than expected (course content was almost no help) I started integrating Angular in my project. The code that Code Institute provided on their pages didn't work. I've got an $injector error. Not sure if they fixed it yet but I've spend couple hours figuring this out. Allright, I could have asked them about it, took me bit more time, it isn't all that bad. What was bad was what happened to my tabs made with jQuery. I asked my tutor about it and he told be jQuery and Angular aren't a good match in some cases and that is not recommended to use both in one project. Yet I was asked to include both in my project. It was extremely frustrating. I got a correct code but it does not work. No warning about that in the course. Code Institute tutor told me. I've send them an open letter mentioning a lack of concept even before I encountered this problem. This just proves it. They just glued lessons on different topics together without worrying about the big picture. How is that even possible for the amount of money they ask for?

Tutors

Online tutors don't have a proper chat equipment. My last session was done over mobile phone microphone. I bought myself one of the best available web cameras to get most out of the course. How come that people paid for it didn't? The lack of common sense I have encountered in this course is mind blowing - let me remind you this is a 4500 euros course. I've had three tutors already. The first one was from India. He was more than qualified to be my tutor, very impressive resume. But the reception was so bad I had to ask for replacement - his accent didn't help. I got an Irish tutor who just started doing web development. He helped me to set up the stream 1 project with gulp and npm (not in the course content) but other than that he struck my as inexperienced and even he had heads up, he wasn't prepared for our session. That was a point when I sent Code Institute an open letter mentioning all the problems I had with this course and I respectfully asked them to either give me my money back or hire me to help them improve the course. So I could actually do something about it not just whine about it.

Won't give me my money back

Neither happened. Brian O'Grady - Code Institute director told me that it's over 30 days, so they won't give me my money back. Because I completed stream 1 I tried to be fair and asked them for 2/3 of the money I paid.  Instead he forced himself on me by saying he wants to help me. I'm basically extorted to stay. If you have any other questions about the course, please, contact me here: daniel.hoksza@gmail.com .

Look elsewhere.

A lot of content that is covered in Stream 1 is available for free in the Viking Code School.

Btw. they canceled a course with part-time classroom students, because the students weren't happy about the course. They gave them money back or let them join the online course. My reasons aren't big enough I guess.

The good?

HTML, CSS, D3 lessons and Angular were decent.

• Anonymous • Applicant
    I gave them disclosures I was vulnerable yet they still gave me information encouraging me to take out loans to do their course with a completely unrealistic 'return upon investment' advice, including how I would earn roughly £31k as a junior developer. Even in London, without a proper degree and/or years of experience, you're not getting £31k from doing a course like Code Institute.

I thought quite well of them and was genuinely considering trying to financially position myself to complete the course but given the months of being hounded by their marketing department and asking questions, when I made it clear I knew I was being manipulated in bad faith they, funnily enough, just stopped responding. I did remove myself from the mailing list but they made no effort to correct my interpretation of their actions when I made it explicitly clear I didn't think they had my best interests at heart and, as such, found it difficult to believe I'd be efficiently taught any skills I would be required to have upon taking a job after completion.
  • Poor Quality
    - 6/26/2019

I belive the content should be more up-to-date, poor content at times, and it's a lot fo money invested for services that you can get for 10 pounds on Udemy. I strongly advise other people to stay away from any bootcamp and learn on their own.

• Stay Away
    - 10/8/2016
    Anonymous • Senior Manager • Student

Don't waste your money. I've completed the 12 week bootcamp and let me tell you you will need a lot more than this to secure a decent role in Coding with a reputable employer. I'd prefer to invest my money in an established University where I can gain global recognition.

Response From: Tiff of Code Institute
    Title: Community Manager
    Tuesday, Oct 18 2016
    Hi,

Thanks for your review. We appreciate all feedback which allows us to improve our programme and create a better experience for our students.

For the sake of clarity, Code Institute is accredited by Napier Edinburgh University. Successful students are awarded a "diploma in software development", the first of its kind in Europe. This is level 6 on the NFQ and it is globally recognised.

Taking on board that you are not entirely satisfied with your experience,  we would love to lend you our full support and find out some more specifics and help you achieve your course goals.

Please contact us on 01 5397973 or email studentcare@codeinstitute.net