code-institute-logo

Code Institute

Code Institute

Code Institute is an online coding bootcamp offering a FullStack Software Development diploma. The diploma program is part-time with a flexible framework that takes 48 weeks to complete. As a global coding educator, Code Institute’s courses offer learners the skills and support to change careers and advance more quickly. The bootcamp is university credit-rated and industry-aligned so students get the credentials to get hired anywhere in the world. Code Institute combines high-quality content, technology, analytics and support to facilitate learners’ success. At Code Institute, students are guaranteed a superior learning experience and personalised support system to achieve success and land their first role in web development.

The FullStack Software Development covers the necessary skills needed for employment. The curriculum includes cutting-edge coding skills and programming languages from industry experts.

The bootcamp was designed to take complete beginners to junior software developers. Most Code Institute students do not have an IT background before doing the course. Students must be over 18 years of age. All applicants should complete Code Institute’s 5 Day or All Access Coding Challenge. This programme is offered in the English language only, and applicants may be asked to complete an IELTS level 6 English test before they are accepted on the programme.

Code Institute has relationships with 1,000+ hiring partners around the world, which opens doors to a student’s perfect web development career. Students can participate in Code Institute’s vibrant community of learners and alumni around the world sharing advice, supporting each other, and socialising at hackathons and events.

Recent Code Institute Reviews: Rating 4.2

all (102) reviews for Code Institute →

Recent Code Institute News

Read all (5) articles about Code Institute →
  • Diploma in Full Stack Software Development & Specializations

jQuery, Django, Agile, CSS, HTML, JavaScript, Python
    The Diploma in Full-Stack Software Development with Specializations gives participants hands-on experience creating employer-ready web technologies. Our programme is 100% online delivery through our world-class Learning Management System (LMS). Content is Industry-Validated and University Credit-Rated and is suitable for beginners or those with an existing skill-set who wish to enhance their career prospects. Learners become Full Stack Software Developers through our university credit-rated programme. Then, to assist you further in successfully landing and progressing in your new career, we offer a choice of 3 specialist paths. * eCommerce * Predictive Analytics * Advanced Front End with React.js Course material is highly relevant, and you will develop the most in-demand skills that employers are looking for. 90% of graduates are hired within 6 months of completing and work for companies such as Accenture, Google, PayPal, and Microsoft. With 1000+ global hiring partners, their focus is to find you the right job and prepare you for interviews with 1:1 Career Support and Mentor sessions.
    Tuition PlansFinance & Payment Plans Available
    Minimum Skill LevelA basic level of coding knowledge is required.
    Prep WorkAll applicants must complete our free 5 Day Coding Challenge.
  • Free 5 Day Coding Challenge

CSS, HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time5 Hours/week1 Week
    Cost0
    Class size2000
    The 5 Day Challenge allows you to understand coding from both a theoretical and practical point of view. We do this through covering the three pillars of modern front end software development – HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Over the five days, you will receive online access to Code Institute’s world-class Learning Management System (LMS). The course content is structured around the concept of microlearning. Each day you’ll be given a new coding challenge to complete with supporting videos and detailed notes to aid you. You will need to set aside roughly 60 minutes per day (Evenings and Weekend if preferred) to complete each challenge. On completion of all challenges, you’ll learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. More importantly – you’ll find out if becoming a software developer is the next step for you. Start Date: Every Monday. Duration: 1 hour per day for 5 days.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required.
  • Daphne  User Photo
    Daphne • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Started the course in December 2020, I was brand new to the coding world and managed to successfully complete the course. I especially liked the support of the fellow students and the teachers. There are plenty of channels you can fall back on.
    When I see what I have learned within a year and what help I have had with it, I am very happy that I did this.
  • Not worth the cost
    - 4/30/2022
    Keith  User Photo
    Keith • Student Verified via GitHub
    The short answer is the course is a full stack program, but it's absolutely not worth the money.

I completed approx 70% of the learning material and submitted 3 projects before deciding that the Code Institute boot camp was a waste of time.

Online boot camps have a lot of cheaper alternatives to contend with and that can present a problem for boot camps, who must have something special to bring them beyond someone seeking cheaper alternatives.

Right from the get go, the Code Institute has issues, it's HTML course is weak, doesn't cover some basic aspects of website design and has a challenge system that is too restrictively coded at times, so that correct code submissions come back with errors. Hints are generally not helpful, and time can be wasted trying to find errors in your code where it turns out they were looking for an rgba input even thought the instructions were to put in an rgb. Often here the issue is less with the coding but more with understanding what they want you do. It doesn't help that the course is often reams of text with a challenge on another page, meaning if you want to check something, you need to either dance between webpages or have multiple tabs open, which can throw off their progress system. Sure these are minor issues, but also they're generally unique to Code Institute. My overall experience of going through the HTML section was it was beyond lackluster, I opted to supplement my learning with another course. I found this second non Code Institute course to be vastly superior in all metrics, more complete content, better presentation, more coding challenges, better coding challenges, clearer instruction.

These issues just pile up the more you go through the course. One of the more egregious issues runs with parts of the course that are out of date. More often than not there's just a quick note attached to the top of a video to ignore a chunk of it and do something else, or the video starts with setting up a legacy coding environment Code Institute no longer uses. Some of these videos are pushing 2 years, so this patchwork of fixes becomes the norm. Again generally looking at other coding courses I've conducted, and no other course is so out of date.

The coding projects aren't particularly inspiring either, rather than provide any real instruction, it's a more free from 'do something'. Issues with really stem from a lack of clear understanding of what is required for submission. Code Institute don't present examples of pass/merit/distinction of projects and the mark scheme is vague and uninformative. It didn't help that my mentor wasn't available for 2 of the 3 projects I submitted, and was only available for the last night of the other one. The overall feeling I got was to not be adventurous or push yourself, just do a simple and safe project, which I feel is a terrible way of assessing potential.

Feedback from the project submissions is similarly vague and often questionable, but ultimately unhelpful. As someone who has teaching and mentoring experience as a postdoc, the feedback is just lazy. This should be a real strength of a bootcamp but with the Code Institute, it's just another missed opportunity turned into a weakness.

I really wanted to use the Code Institute as the core for my learning experience and entry into coding, I was drawn into the rather nicely setup and laid out 5 day coding challenge, which is a good experience. However I came away from every module with a deep dissatisfaction in the learning outcomes. More and more I found myself going to other courses to learn material that should be covered in sufficient depth in the Code Institute subject matter.

Outside the learning objectives, there is a friendly Slack environment, but this is mainly students, and I am a member of a number of similar communities. Still it's not bad. I didn't find the career crunches helpful, this may be because I've come from a professional background and have been involved in recruitment before, but they were very basic, and ultimately not helpful. They're not at a great time for people doing the course with a standard day job either.

I can't see any justification to using the Code Institute in its current form. There are far superior examples of learning objectives online, and I don't think any of the strengths of a boot camp really come up here. The fundamental issue is that the curriculum is muddled, out of date, and presented in a unique, but unhelpful fashion. Not enough care has been put into the construction and the over-reliance on proprietary systems frustrates more than supports.

There are many better systems out there to learn how to code, Code Institute could get there, but it would need a large overhaul, most of the course videos need to be updated/reshot, the learning objectives need to be thrashed out, and the courses need to be bulked. More complex coding challenges, and more implementation to real world situations. As it stands there is a long way to go before the course could be recommended, even if it was free.
    Response From: Rory Toal of Code Institute
    Title: Head of Digital
    Tuesday, May 03 2022

Hi Keith,

It’s disappointing to read your thoughts on our Full Stack Software Development programme. However, some of your comments are unfair and incorrect.

Firstly, we would like to point out that our programme is incomparable to any free online coding course. We have set our standards very high and have had our course content credit-rated to a university level. We also offer unrivaled support from Student Care, Career Services, and Mentors. Our Tutors are available to advise students 24 hours a day, five days a week and from 9 am to 5 pm on Saturdays and Sundays.

Regarding your issues, we have highlighted some points below.

• We receive very positive feedback on the HTML Essentials section of our programme, and it scores very highly. The requirements for the challenges may appear strict because we want to test what you’ve just learned in this unit, not what you may have already learned in previous units.
    • The Assessment Handbook on the LMS provides details of the requirements for each project and the criteria against which it will be assessed.
    • Mentors are available to bring their industry expertise and guidance to all students working on projects and a broad range of session times are accommodated.
    • We have an amazing Community on Slack that includes not only students, but also staff, mentors, and tutors. It is also very important to note that many of our alumni partake in our channels to continually help others through their journey.
    • Regarding our career crunches. The career seminars run live 2-3 times a week, generally at lunchtime. This time accommodates what our surveys have told us is the optimum time for most available students. Also, many of these seminars are recorded and available on-demand.

If you would like to discuss your project feedback or any other aspect of our course, please contact our Student Care team.

Kind regards,
    The Code Institute Team.

• David Thompson  User Photo
    David Thompson • Student Verified via GitHub
    Since starting the course i managed to complete the User Centric Frontend Development Milestone Project, i have then moved on to Javascript and unfortunately i've had to deal with bereavements in my family in which i needed time off from the course, to begin with Code Institute was very understanding however as time passed by they was pressing me to continue the course even after i gave them a doctors certificate, however i agreed to come back on the course not feeling 100% and to my surprise i was given less then 2 weeks to hand my JavaScript milestone in, i explained on the phone i've had a long period of time off from the course however they said you have a further 10 days after the missed date, Javascript is all very new to me and i explained i needed a bit more time however i was told i've had enough time off. Is it worth the £6k i paid for the course? definitely not. If anyone was to ask me how i would do things differently i would say, sign up to Team Treehouse Tech degree at a fraction of the cost and find a mentor on Fiverr because the mentors on Code Institute are rarely available, the best mentor i had was called Simen and the reason i say the best is because i could tell he was genuine and it pained him if you didn't aim for the highest mark.
    Response From: Code Institute of Code Institute
    Title: Student Care
    Friday, Apr 08 2022
    Hi David,

We would like to once again offer our sympathies for your bereavements.

Our bereavement and extension policies are clear and very fair. After a certain period of time, it is important for students to continue with their studies. The deadlines are set by the Student Care team based on the content that's already been completed and to make sure students have the time they need for the remaining projects. However, we do not talk about individual cases in public forums like these, so we will not be commenting on your own case or the number of extensions you have received on the programme.

If you would like to discuss this further with our team, please feel free to contact Student Care.

Kind Regards,
    The Code Institute Team
  • Suzanne Bennett  User Photo
    Suzanne Bennett • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    This course was great for teaching up to date technologies in preparation for a career change into software development. There is a really great community of students (past and present) on Slack and lots of support in case you have questions (which you definitely will!). Some opportunities have come up for me recently due to being so immersed in the community so I highly recommend it. I was required to create four milestone projects as part of this course and was set up with a mentor to guide me along the way. I started the course right before it changed so it possibly could've been a bit more up to date but as trends change in the coding world the demand changes and I understand it might be hard to fit it all in to a part time course over 12 months!
  • Hideo  User Photo
    Hideo • Nishimura • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Great experience overall. I have probably never learnt so much in one year and enjoyed it the way I did. It seems that some parts of the course were a little rushed without covering all the necessary details. However, there was always student support available to assist.
    As a final note, It is still unclear to me how much learning the Django framework can be useful to land a first job, but it is definitely a skill that will be valuable in the future.
  • Stephen Johnston  User Photo
    Stephen Johnston • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    This was the second Hackathon that I've taken part in with Code Institute although this was the first time that Code Institute co-hosted a Hackathon with one of their external partners, Trust in SODA who are a UK based recruitment company.

The theme was "Building an Accessible Workplace" and the event was kicked-off with a very insightful SODA Social panel discussion webinar, with panelists from Ecosia, HER, Mildon & Google.

I was very lucky to have such wonderful teammates who all invested a huge amount of time and effort into this fascinating topic and it was a great experience of working in an agile development environment.

Our team used our Full-Stack knowledge to create a modular plug-in app that simplifies the recruitment and hiring process and has user accessibility at its core.  Our Tech Stack for this project included: HTML, CSS, Bootstrap 5, Javascript, emailJS, Heroku, MongoDB, Python & Flask.

We used Github's project board to breakdown all the required tasks into bite size sprints and we also utilised Github Wiki pages to organise our research & planning notes. Naturally we also used Github for our version control, with each team member forking off my main repository, working on branches within their fork and then creating Pull Requests to be reviewed and approved by the team before merging back onto the main repository.

It was an amazing learning experience with a fantastic team of developers, on a topic with such a wide scope.

I'm really looking forward to the next Code Institute Hackathon as they are a wonderful way to put your newly acquired skills into practice, a great opportunity to learn from your peers and while they can be intense you do come away from them with a great sense of achievement.
  • Iain Knox  User Photo
    Iain Knox • Student Verified via GitHub
    I had opted to make a change in my career and move into IT. After looking through a couple of resources both paid and free I chose to enrol with Code Institute. I've only been on the course since July and through our slack community, a Hackathon event was posted inviting students of all levels to participate. Having zero knowledge of what a hackathon was, let alone limited coding experience, my gung-ho attitude of "let's do this" had me sign up. Initially I thought I had bitten off far more than I could chew, but the teams were balanced with juniors and seniors, and even though my current (hospitality) job seems to demand more time than I have in the day, I quickly found myself with a group of fun, open minded and helpful peers.

I had a great time with the recent Hackathon and the team were really amazing. I did at times feel like a bit of a 5th wheel due to my inexperience and lack of aptitude, but was still able to contribute creatively and it gave me the opportunity to play around with the wireframes, which is something I hadn't done before. We utilized Kaboom, which I found at a base level, very intuitive. Overall, I got to experience what I can imagine it must be like working in a live dev team, with a real world problem to a real world deadline/crunch, which I think more than anything is invaluable ,especially at the start of the course. And of course to share a win is incredible!
  • Helena  User Photo
    Helena • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had only been attending my Full Stack Software Development course for little over a month when I decided to apply for my first hackathon. A decision I definitely not regret. It was a really fun experience and I already feel that it has given me tools which will help me through the course. It taught me a lot about working as a team together in Github and I had to push my limits when it came to coding.

My teammates were super and so supportive of us who didn't have much experience.
     I will definitely sign up for as many hackathon as I can during my course at Code Institute and I recommend all coding students to do the same.
  • Debbie Thompson  User Photo
    Debbie Thompson • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I had the opportunity to work with some great students and other alumni on the CI hackathon, to create a retro game in the style of super mario!  We used a javascript library called kaboom js and the resulting game was great! We all learnt more about javascipt, using git collaboratively and how to work together in a team to get things done.  Our supervisor from CI kept us on track, checking in with us each day to see the progress we had made -  this was really useful over each of the 5 days we were working on the project.  A really enjoyable experience overall which we were all able to learn a lot from.
  • Sarah  User Photo
    Sarah • Student Verified via GitHub
    I recently began the part-time diploma course at Code Institute. I have really enjoyed working through the HTML and CSS sections so far. There was also a fun Retro-themed Hackathon put on which I decided to take part in. The Hackathon truly made me learn so much at an accelerated pace. I learnt how to use GitHub for teamwork and other fundamental developer teamwork skills. I feel like Bootcamps can sometimes lack that flare of teamwork that people get at college. The Hackathon truly ensures that people have experience creating a project in a team environment. It's something that will definitely come in handy in interviews! I have since started back and am catching up on my course and I can say that I have more confidence with the material and more passion to move forward!! I'm looking forward to the next one!
  • Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Software developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Their course material and mentor support are fantastic. As well as that, they have fostered a great community that helps students keep learning even after finishing the course. They run coding challenges for students and alumni called Hackathons. Participating in the Code Institute Hackathons allowed me to cement my knowledge of the course material whilst allowing me to learn new technologies & further my skill set. In particular, I have gained valuable experience working with a distributed team using the agile development cycle.
  • Mr
    - 8/12/2021
    David Bowers  User Photo
    David Bowers • NOC engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Cracking school with great support network, graduates, and students alike on a vast slack group with channels to cover every eventuality. Failing the support of peers they have a responsive tutor group online who are available 24/7/during the week and during the days on weekends. The support even covers out of course areas where one might feel.they are struggling.  I recently partook in a hackathon and learnt a lot about collaboration projects in the process. Nothing prepares you for the real world like real world experience.