code-institute-logo

Code Institute

Code Institute

Code Institute is an online coding bootcamp offering a FullStack Software Development diploma. The Full Stack Software Development curriculum covers HTML, CSS, Python, Django, JavaScript, and competencies such as agile development and project management.

Code Institute equips students with remote working skills and also provides support services, such as 1:1 mentorship and career services, such as portfolio guidance and job interview preparation. Through Code Institute’s industry contacts and proprietary analytics platform, the Code Institute recruitment team can match a student's strengths and ambitions to an employer's needs. With 1000+ global hiring partners, Code Institute's graduates have been hired by tech companies such as Google, Apple, IBM, and Salesforce.

To apply, candidates can fill out an online form on the Code Institute website. Expect to receive a call from the Code Institute team within 24 hours. After the call, candidates will receive a notification about whether they have been accepted into the program.

Code Institute is credit-rated by the University of the West of Scotland and validated by the Higher Education Authority in Sweden, the Ministry of Communications in Singapore, and the Higher Education Authority in Ireland.

Recent Code Institute Reviews: Rating 4.35

all (87) reviews for Code Institute →

Recent Code Institute News

Read all (5) articles about Code Institute →
  • Diploma in Full Stack Software Development & Specializations

jQuery, Django, Agile, CSS, HTML, JavaScript, Python
    The Diploma in Full-Stack Software Development with Specializations gives participants hands-on experience creating employer-ready web technologies. Our programme is 100% online delivery through our world-class Learning Management System (LMS). Content is Industry-Validated and University Credit-Rated and is suitable for beginners or those with an existing skill-set who wish to enhance their career prospects. Learners become Full Stack Software Developers through our university credit-rated programme. Then, to assist you further in successfully landing and progressing in your new career, we offer a choice of 3 specialist paths. * eCommerce * Predictive Analytics * Advanced Front End with React.js Course material is highly relevant, and you will develop the most in-demand skills that employers are looking for. 90% of graduates are hired within 6 months of completing and work for companies such as Accenture, Google, PayPal, and Microsoft. With 1000+ global hiring partners, their focus is to find you the right job and prepare you for interviews with 1:1 Career Support and Mentor sessions.
    Tuition PlansFinance & Payment Plans Available
    Minimum Skill LevelA basic level of coding knowledge is required.
    Prep WorkAll applicants must complete our free 5 Day Coding Challenge.
  • Free 5 Day Coding Challenge

JavaScript, HTML, CSS
    OnlinePart Time5 Hours/week1 Week
    Cost0
    Class size2000
    The 5 Day Challenge allows you to understand coding from both a theoretical and practical point of view. We do this through covering the three pillars of modern front end software development – HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Over the five days, you will receive online access to Code Institute’s world-class Learning Management System (LMS). The course content is structured around the concept of microlearning. Each day you’ll be given a new coding challenge to complete with supporting videos and detailed notes to aid you. You will need to set aside roughly 60 minutes per day (Evenings and Weekend if preferred) to complete each challenge. On completion of all challenges, you’ll learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. More importantly – you’ll find out if becoming a software developer is the next step for you. Start Date: Every Monday. Duration: 1 hour per day for 5 days.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required.
  • Stephen Johnston  User Photo
    Stephen Johnston • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    This was the second Hackathon that I've taken part in with Code Institute although this was the first time that Code Institute co-hosted a Hackathon with one of their external partners, Trust in SODA who are a UK based recruitment company.

The theme was "Building an Accessible Workplace" and the event was kicked-off with a very insightful SODA Social panel discussion webinar, with panelists from Ecosia, HER, Mildon & Google.

I was very lucky to have such wonderful teammates who all invested a huge amount of time and effort into this fascinating topic and it was a great experience of working in an agile development environment.

Our team used our Full-Stack knowledge to create a modular plug-in app that simplifies the recruitment and hiring process and has user accessibility at its core.  Our Tech Stack for this project included: HTML, CSS, Bootstrap 5, Javascript, emailJS, Heroku, MongoDB, Python & Flask.

We used Github's project board to breakdown all the required tasks into bite size sprints and we also utilised Github Wiki pages to organise our research & planning notes. Naturally we also used Github for our version control, with each team member forking off my main repository, working on branches within their fork and then creating Pull Requests to be reviewed and approved by the team before merging back onto the main repository.

It was an amazing learning experience with a fantastic team of developers, on a topic with such a wide scope.

I'm really looking forward to the next Code Institute Hackathon as they are a wonderful way to put your newly acquired skills into practice, a great opportunity to learn from your peers and while they can be intense you do come away from them with a great sense of achievement.
  • Iain Knox  User Photo
    Iain Knox • Student Verified via GitHub
    I had opted to make a change in my career and move into IT. After looking through a couple of resources both paid and free I chose to enrol with Code Institute. I've only been on the course since July and through our slack community, a Hackathon event was posted inviting students of all levels to participate. Having zero knowledge of what a hackathon was, let alone limited coding experience, my gung-ho attitude of "let's do this" had me sign up. Initially I thought I had bitten off far more than I could chew, but the teams were balanced with juniors and seniors, and even though my current (hospitality) job seems to demand more time than I have in the day, I quickly found myself with a group of fun, open minded and helpful peers.

I had a great time with the recent Hackathon and the team were really amazing. I did at times feel like a bit of a 5th wheel due to my inexperience and lack of aptitude, but was still able to contribute creatively and it gave me the opportunity to play around with the wireframes, which is something I hadn't done before. We utilized Kaboom, which I found at a base level, very intuitive. Overall, I got to experience what I can imagine it must be like working in a live dev team, with a real world problem to a real world deadline/crunch, which I think more than anything is invaluable ,especially at the start of the course. And of course to share a win is incredible!
  • Helena  User Photo
    Helena • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had only been attending my Full Stack Software Development course for little over a month when I decided to apply for my first hackathon. A decision I definitely not regret. It was a really fun experience and I already feel that it has given me tools which will help me through the course. It taught me a lot about working as a team together in Github and I had to push my limits when it came to coding.

My teammates were super and so supportive of us who didn't have much experience.
     I will definitely sign up for as many hackathon as I can during my course at Code Institute and I recommend all coding students to do the same.
  • Debbie Thompson  User Photo
    Debbie Thompson • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I had the opportunity to work with some great students and other alumni on the CI hackathon, to create a retro game in the style of super mario!  We used a javascript library called kaboom js and the resulting game was great! We all learnt more about javascipt, using git collaboratively and how to work together in a team to get things done.  Our supervisor from CI kept us on track, checking in with us each day to see the progress we had made -  this was really useful over each of the 5 days we were working on the project.  A really enjoyable experience overall which we were all able to learn a lot from.
  • Sarah  User Photo
    Sarah • Student Verified via GitHub
    I recently began the part-time diploma course at Code Institute. I have really enjoyed working through the HTML and CSS sections so far. There was also a fun Retro-themed Hackathon put on which I decided to take part in. The Hackathon truly made me learn so much at an accelerated pace. I learnt how to use GitHub for teamwork and other fundamental developer teamwork skills. I feel like Bootcamps can sometimes lack that flare of teamwork that people get at college. The Hackathon truly ensures that people have experience creating a project in a team environment. It's something that will definitely come in handy in interviews! I have since started back and am catching up on my course and I can say that I have more confidence with the material and more passion to move forward!! I'm looking forward to the next one!
  • Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Software developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Their course material and mentor support are fantastic. As well as that, they have fostered a great community that helps students keep learning even after finishing the course. They run coding challenges for students and alumni called Hackathons. Participating in the Code Institute Hackathons allowed me to cement my knowledge of the course material whilst allowing me to learn new technologies & further my skill set. In particular, I have gained valuable experience working with a distributed team using the agile development cycle.
  • Mr
    - 8/12/2021
    David Bowers  User Photo
    David Bowers • NOC engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Cracking school with great support network, graduates, and students alike on a vast slack group with channels to cover every eventuality. Failing the support of peers they have a responsive tutor group online who are available 24/7/during the week and during the days on weekends. The support even covers out of course areas where one might feel.they are struggling.  I recently partook in a hackathon and learnt a lot about collaboration projects in the process. Nothing prepares you for the real world like real world experience.
  • Engaging
    - 7/26/2021
    Sean Young  User Photo
    Sean Young • Student Verified via GitHub
    The course gets you working with code straight away, and builds up your knowledge in stages. The staff are helpful and approachable and there's an inclusive and knowledgeable community to support students academically and socially.
  • Mr
    - 4/21/2021
    Student I   User Photo
    Student I Verified via GitHub
    Personally, I think that a lot of negative reviews here are a bit unfair.

Before you enroll in this course you really need to acknowledge that you're about to commit to a studying grind and you need to be prepared for that. Codeinstitute presents itself really well i.e. they have all this support in place (slack, tutors, mentors, syllabus etc) but ultimately you will still be struggling a lot, and often you will be required to suss out a solution by yourself as this is how you really solidify and learn things to progress in the real world. All these promises of support will be no good to you if you're overestimating your own ability to absorb knowledge and underestimating required adaptation to the independent learning style of the course/industry. Re-skilling is really tough and I get the feeling that a lot of people get upset when they realize just how much effort they have to put into it and that the support alone is not enough to succeed.

To be fair, technical support was always good in my experience, not a long time to wait for a replies, great mentors etc (I'm based in the UK and was studying normal working hours)

However, there was a massive difference in complexity between the first few modules and JS / Python onwards. The spike was so significant that it really knocked the wind out of my sales! The motivation was gone quite quickly. They do warn their students that it is normal, and that is to be expected - after all JavaScript / Python are actual programming languages while HTML / CSS are not. That's just the nature of the beast, however, I do feel that the way they presented the information was a bit too brief and shallow based on the fact that after a few programming modules you were expected to create your second milestone project (for your portfolio) using the complex technologies you've just (briefly) covered. The jump from doing simple programming exercises to suddenly having to go out there and create your own project, using your own ideas, was very harsh. Mentors will then approve your idea or provide helpful feedback but ultimately will require you to just go out there and do loads of googling / research to create proper programming code that you've barely scratched the surface of whilst learning the modules. This disparity between having to just go along with the syllabus doing simple tasks and reading relatively digestible information to creating a full-blown project utilizing proper programming language/s, reading documentation etc was so big and extremely frustrating that I almost completely gave up. However, if you manage to get through this phase, I'm certain that you will finish the course as it would imply that you can adapt and overcome the biggest challenge this course can throw at you.

I did not manage. I've scored almost 100% on my first milestone project (HTML/CSS) but never managed to submit my second one. I got stuck because of the issue which I've described above. I've spent a lot of time trying to understand the requirements for the second project, and decide how I can tick those boxes and create something that has real-life application. It was too much for me. I've been shown examples of similar projects, I've had mentors tell me which functionality I need but there was just too big of a leap between what they expected from my code and what I've learned in previous modules, so I struggled.

I've had 2 extensions, which obviously cost a lot of extra money on top of 5k+ that I was already paying for the course. Even though I found it extremely difficult, I've never given up and always thought that there is a decent chance that I will finish the program. It came to a point when I realized that I will have to drop my full-time work (took a month off) to put all of my efforts into the course. After making the necessary arrangements with my work I reached out to Code Institute asking for a third (and in my mind - final) extension. What a surprise it was to hear that my request was being rejected and that my access to the course was going to be revoked shortly as I was approaching the end of my 2nd extension. Now, I take full responsibility for my actions and acknowledge that, at the end of the day, it's not CodeInstitute's job to babysit me, and in all fairness in their eyes I probably was never going to make it, but by then I've already spent 7k on the whole thing and I honestly believe I deserved knowing that my 2nd extension was going to be my last. But alas, nobody told me anything; which was quite a bad customer service. No previous correspondence, nor any warnings that I'm approaching my deadline for the course with no possibility to further extend. For this reason, I will never recommend CodeInstitute to anyone unless they are prepared to throw their life at this course.

Just be very careful, as this might be a goldmine that will open a lot of doors for the right people, but don't be lured and charmed by promises of support alone, high salaries etc this is a proper grind and you will have to graft to succeed if you're not IT literate (or if you don't have the right mindset - don't bother).

I did end up getting an apprenticeship with a different company, using the skills that I've learned at the start of the course with CodeInstitute. So it wasn't a total waste! But that extension rejection was painful and cost me all of my savings.

Be careful.

P.S. Just to clarify - I have been informed about course access coming to an end, but at no point has anyone ever told me that this extension will be my last.

P.P.S The actual course material felt like a work in progress - it had typos, broken links and sometimes did not follow logically. I've reported a lot of these issues which were fixed quite quickly to be fair.
    Response From: Code Institute of Code Institute
    Title: Student Care
    Thursday, Apr 29 2021
    Hi Mr.,

Thank you for your feedback; we are happy to hear that you were pleased with the support offered. We work hard to ensure that the standard of support available is exceptionally high. Also, it's great to hear that you secured a tech role due to the course you completed. Our Careers Support team would be delighted to provide you with a careers consultation if you're pursuing a career in tech. Please do get in touch so that we can arrange this with you.

As a university credit-rated programme, students are required to complete the course within the agreed timeframe. As you vitally pointed out, commitment and motivation are needed. We make this absolutely clear from the outset.

The success of our students demonstrates that the programme is achievable. However, ongoing work and use of all of our support pillars are essential ingredients to progressing along the course and graduating with a University recognised Diploma in FullStack Software Development.

We do provide students with extensions. This is based on our extenuating circumstances policy. All details are contained in your student handbook or can be discussed directly with the StudentCare team. A fair, transparent experience is delivered to all our students.

In terms of course progress, our StudentCare team checks in regularly with students. We notify students in advance if their access is coming to an end. Our Student Care team is always available to discuss your progress in detail at any time, and they'd be happy to talk through your experience further with you and answer any questions you may have.

Everything we do in Code Institute is focused on helping our students to change careers and become employable FullStack Software Developer. We provide best-in-class support to help our students progress and secure employment. However, it is up to the student to commit and complete their projects in an agreed time frame.

We would like to discuss your issues with you further - please do email our Student Care Team so that we can do so.

We wish you all the best in your tech career.

The Code Institute Team
  • zahur   User Photo
    zahur • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Working in the aviation industry amidst the covid pademic I decided to make good use of the downtime to upskill myself. Eventhough I had zero experience in programming I was always interested in software development and after a conservation with a friend I started to research online courses which finally led me to this course. After talking to the representative I decided to enroll and and was given an initial trial period since I was worried that the online learning would not be adapted for me.
    Once I started I was really impressed with the course content and how professional the online learning platform worked. The course is well adapted to people like myself,  with no programming experience, to obtain a solid programming foundation. The learning curve is quite steep at times and does require additonal research which is a must for any programmer. The course providers are great and kept in regular contact with me to check on how the course was going.
    The course content is well designed with 4 milestone projects which are well paced and supported with great tutorials. As I progressed through the course I found myself more confident in programming. I did however find myself stuck at certain times during the course and had to use one of the support sytems.  I cannot praise the support system enough. The system works extremely well and whenever I queried them for some clarification on course content  or programming issues I always got prompt help to guide me through my problems. I do encourage students to get well acquainted with the support system sooner rather than latter since you definately progress more smoothly through the course.
    I really enjoyed the whole learning experience and would definately recommend this course to anyone who want to start a career in programming.

• Stuart Cox  User Photo
    Stuart Cox • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I started with pretty much zero knowledge, and the Code Institute curriculum, framework, timescale, support, and course setup gave me more than I expected. Most importantly, it taught me how to learn more, without needing the framework of any, course and I know that this will serve me well in the future.

The course delivered what I wanted, and whilst it may have been reasonably expensive, I consider it money well spent. Great, professional and timely support available from all people doing all roles.

Top job and well done, happy to recommend.
  • Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    Steer well clear of the Code Institute unless you want to pay an exorbitant fee for resources that are available for free online. FreeCodeCamp, Udacity, Udemy, The Odin Project and many others exist so you don't have to fork out for a bootcamp, especially not this one. The Code Institute's 5 Day Coding Challenge is a marketing ploy masquerading as an introduction to web development. You barely scratch the surface of HTML/CSS/Javascript but get yourself prepared for the onslaught of sales calls for the full stack programme after you finish the challenge repeating the mantra "shortage of coders, 35k starting salary, 90% alumni employed". The Code Institute's full stack course costs about €6000 and you are locked into a contract. Once a 14 day grace period is over, you will NOT get any money back. 14 days is not long enough for anyone new to coding to realize what a colossal waste of money this is. You have 52 weeks to complete the course, I left after 5 weeks. €6000 is a substantial price to pay for many and it was an extremely expensive mistake for me. I panicked about what to do after being made redundant in a pandemic and thought this would be a good idea. It is anything but and I implore you not to make the same mistake I did. I completed about 30% of their "Learning Management System" which consists primarily of watching videos, a jigsaw puzzle (yes I know!) and copying other people's code. I only covered HTML and CSS but I learned more about these topics from FreeCodeCamp, than I did from their LMS. I did not start any of the 4 'milestone' projects. These 4 projects are what you will spend the vast majority of the course on and form the portfolio you will show to potential employers. Do you need to pay the Code Institute €6k for you to create your own projects? They will harp on about 'Student Care team, global team of tutors, careers team and experienced mentors'. I used none of these services but had to pay for all of them. Again these services can be found for free online if you have the motivation to look for them and put the effort in. If you really must fork out for a bootcamp, Makers and General Assembly have a better reputation as bootcamps and better career partners as far as I know. After I left the Code Institute, I requested a partial refund since I completed 5 of 52 allowable weeks, 30% of the LMS, started no project and used none of their support services. They declined. Since then they have blocked me from their Twitter feed and taken down my reviews from their Facebook page. Make no mistake they are a business and care more about your sweet cash money than you as a student. Becoming a coder requires daily grind, huge effort, constant learning and breaking into the industry as a junior developer is super-tough. If you are looking to pay your way into the web dev industry, you are looking to get into the wrong industry. It is all down to you and the effort you put in. Please don't pay them for your effort. TLDR: Code Institute is not worth the money. 5 Day Challenge is a marketing ploy. What they offer is available for free online, you just have to look for it and put the effort in. Cares more about your money than you as a student or alumni. You have been warned.
    Response From: Code Institute of Code Institute
    Title: Student Care
    Thursday, Apr 08 2021
    Dear Andrew,

A lot of what you have mentioned in this review is accurate. We make it clear to our students, even before the programme begins, you must be dedicated and motivated to succeed if you wish to change your career and reskill in 12 months. Students who study with us are aiming to achieve a university credit-rated level 5 Diploma in FullStack Software Development. To achieve this hard work and commitment is needed.

We also make it clear that there is a 14-day cooling-off period in place for students who decide that they do not wish to continue with the programme. This is standard with many programmes. However, 5 weeks or as you say, 30% of the programme stretches far beyond that.

Regarding our LMS, it is a world-class system based on MIT and Harvard's EdX platform. Our programme has been university credit-rated, and we are the only coding Bootcamp in Europe that can say the same. We hold our learning content is academically validated.

We would like to remind all future students who come to our programme, that reskilling for employment requires dedication and motivation. When you succeed the benefits can be amazing, life-changing. However, it's important that you're doing this for the right reasons, and that is to change your career and enhance your employment prospects.

A key element of that success is the early, consistent and effective use of our support network.
    Our supports include:
    - A dedicated Student Care team to support students in everything from onboarding, to pastoral care, to general queries, while also providing regular check-ins throughout the course.
    - A global team of tutors, who are available 24 hours a day on weekdays and 9-5 at weekends to assist in problem-solving.
    - A global community of learners, alumni and developers in our Slack support network.
    - A Careers team that connects students and alumni with employers, provides consultations and interview prep.
    - A large team of experienced mentors to provide project planning assistance, advice and tech interview prep.

Thank you, we’re here to discuss this further at any time.

Kind Regards,