code-institute-logo

Code Institute

Dublin, Online

Code Institute

Code Institute offers upskilling in software development through flexible, full-time and part-time, online bootcamps. The Full Stack Software Development diploma covers HTML, CSS, Python, Django, JavaScript, and competencies such as agile development and project management. Students can choose between part-time and full-time study, and will become a member of an online community of learners. All Code Institute mentors have extensive experience in tech and many of them are professionals in the industry. Code Institute equips students with remote working skills and also provides support services, such as 1:1 mentorship and career services, such as portfolio guidance and job interview preparation. Through Code Institute’s industry contacts and proprietary analytics platform, the Code Institute recruitment team can match a student's strengths and ambitions to an employer's needs.

To apply, candidates can fill out an online form on the Code Institute website. Expect to receive a call from the Code Institute team within 24 hours. After the call, candidates will receive a notification about whether they have been accepted into the program.

Code Institute is a university credit-rated bootcamp in Europe, and validated by the Ministry of Education in Ontario, the Higher Education Authority in Sweden, the Ministry of Communications in Singapore, and the Higher Education Authority in Ireland. Graduates can also earn university credit rated by Edinburgh Napier University. Code Institute graduates have been hired by tech companies like Accenture, Paypal, and Salesforce.

Recent Code Institute Reviews: Rating 4.35

HTML, JavaScript, CSS
    OnlinePart Time5 Hours/week1 Week
    Cost0
    Class size2000
    The 5 Day Challenge allows you to understand coding from both a theoretical and practical point of view. We do this through covering the three pillars of modern front end software development – HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Over the five days, you will receive online access to Code Institute’s world-class Learning Management System (LMS). The course content is structured around the concept of microlearning. Each day you’ll be given a new coding challenge to complete with supporting videos and detailed notes to aid you. You will need to set aside roughly 60 minutes per day (Evenings and Weekend if preferred) to complete each challenge. On completion of all challenges, you’ll learn the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. More importantly – you’ll find out if becoming a software developer is the next step for you. Start Date: Every Monday. Duration: 1 hour per day for 5 days.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required.
  • Part-Time: Diploma in Software Development

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Python
    Our 9-module programme is delivered through our world-class Learning Management System (LMS). Our support pillars will guide you through these modules and throughout, you will be building your portfolio of four milestone projects. These milestone projects are what your results are based on, and they are what makes your portfolio. Ultimately, they will help you change your career. On successful completion, you will be a qualified software developer within 12 months and in a position to apply for a developer role. This is made easier for students with the assistance of our world-class support from our student care, mentors, tutors, facilitators, and professional software developers. Code Institute’s Part-Time Software Development learning track was created to combine the best features of the classroom and online experiences. This is the fastest way to become qualified and change career to software development. This full stack software development programme provides part-time students with tailored support and a team-learning environment - all with a view to help students push forward and graduate in less than 1 year. Students receive access to world-class support to make their learning journey as effective and satisfying as possible. This includes daily check-in’s, tutoring, mentoring sessions, along with access to community engagement channels such as Slack.
    Tuition PlansPayment Plans Available
    Minimum Skill LevelA basic level of coding knowledge is required.
    Prep WorkAll applicants must complete our free 5 Day Coding Challenge.
  • Mrs
    - 11/24/2020
    Yvette  User Photo
    Yvette • SAP Consultant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
  • Stay away
    - 11/14/2020
    Michael G.   User Photo
    Michael G. • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    The support always answer in the same way, they don't listen and they let information slip, vital at that one to.

Not so much student care when they just repeat same message and not listening, no student caring at all.

They really don't care about you, they will press you, hunt you like crazy for the money.

This is a band of burglars salesman rather than a institute or school.

You can use their slack, support, or your mentor, but everything is so slow, takes days at worse for a response, yeah sure, time difference, but I'm a student, I need to be taken cared of and not abbadoned in the code jungle.

They don't pay attention to your private life or any thing that could happen.

You can get an extension if you're near death for free at best, otherwise pay up for the whole course sum again.

Screw these guys, they fake most of their stuff, they put a lot into marketing and no support or care at all.

You're better of studying on your own and use free lessons/tools.
    Response From: Code Institute of Code Institute
    Title: Student Care
    Monday, Nov 23 2020
    Hi Michael,

We are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your experience. However, we dispute your claims.

We have a deferral process in place for students who are experiencing exceptional circumstances. As with any educational body, we require documentation to be provided for extensions to be granted.

We also have a wide range of support in place to help students along their journey:

- A global team of tutors, who are available 24 hours a day on weekdays and 9-5 at weekends to assist in problem-solving.
    - A dedicated Student Care team to support students in everything from onboarding, to pastoral care, to general queries, while also providing regular check-ins throughout the course.
    - A community support team that facilitates our global community of learners, alumni and developers in our Slack support network.
    - A Careers team that connects students and alumni with employers, provides consultations and arranges interviews for all our students
    - A large team of experienced mentors to provide project planning assistance, advice and tech interview prep.

We track our response timings to ensure that a student does not have to wait too long for a response. When a student requires assistance for example from our tutors, they are informed straight away as to their approximate wait time. Our mentor meetings are scheduled in advance.

Please feel free to engage further with our Student Care team.

Kind Regards,
    The Code Institute Team.
  • Igor B  User Photo
    Igor B • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Code Institute's Diploma in Software Development is a full-stack web development bootcamp, which you can take full-time (4 months) or part-time (up to 14 months). Although I was unemployed at the time, I eventually chose the part-time option as I didn't want to commit to a full 8-hour-a-day obligation. It eventually took me just over 7 months to complete the course, precisely the time I set myself in the beginning.

TL;DR: my experience with the course, the topics covered, the support offered, the student community, and with Code Institute in general, has been overwhelmingly positive. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in web development, with only one caveat: if you're a complete novice to the computer world, don't quite know the difference between Windows, Word and Explorer yet, or have never used the word "variable", then you might find yourself struggling with certain course topics.

Intro

Code Institute (CI) has a nice "demo course" for aspiring applicants, called the 5-Day Coding Challenge. It is designed to give the prospective applicant a taste of the coding world, of the teaching approach the full course takes, and an opportunity for the person to ascertain whether their aptitude and interests are really aligned with what the course has to offer. I ran into the challenge by fortune (or by search engine wizardry? :)) and completed it just to see what it was all about. I enjoyed it, it was fun and interesting, but as I hadn't made a serious decision to change careers at that particular time yet (I had worked in the aviation industry for 18 years prior), I didn't give it much thought when I finished it.

Pre-course

A couple of months later - and by then I was already seriously contemplating leaving my then-current job and changing careers - I was contacted by CI's Educational Advisor and asked if I'd be interested in taking the course. Our first conversation (over the phone) lasted for over half an hour, during which he explained to me the types of support offered during the course, the financing options, and addressed all questions I had. It was not one of those generic phone sales calls where the person just reads a written advertisement in robot-like voice spouting their perfect product - it was an open and honest personal conversation involving many questions from my part, and at no time did I have the feeling that he was just trying to sell me his product.

What really “sold” me for the course – even in comparison with other similar courses I had looked at – were these promises:
    - a university-credited diploma upon successful completion of the course,
    - a curriculum built upon technologies in high demand by the industry,
    - four-pillar in-course support (Student Care, Tutors, personal Mentor, Slack community)
    - career support upon course completion.

Price

The price of EUR 5500 (I think it's slightly higher now) was not negligible by any stretch, but once I had made the final decision to change careers, and comparing the above promises to other courses of similar content/scope and their prices, it was more than reasonable. So I quit my job, and decided to jump in head-first. And I never looked back.

Start

On the first day of the official course start (new part-time students officially start on Tuesday) I received a personalised welcome call from Student Care, followed by an email containing a bundle of useful student brochures (welcome pack, Student Charter, support guide), and a personalised course schedule based on the time I had said I'd like to complete the course in. The schedule is very useful for tracking one's progress as it tells you exactly what lesson you should be at on which date, thus helping you plan your studying and preventing you from falling behind on the schedule. Really helpful.

Contents

The courses Learning Management System is an online application enabling access to all the course materials, plus links to Tutor Support and Slack (although Slack definitely works better when downloaded as a standalone desktop app).

The course contents are divided into modules of two general types:
    - "Fundamentals" modules - teaching the syntax of the particular language covered (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python),
    - "Practical" modules - providing practical application of the theoretical concepts learned in the Fundamentals.

Thus the HTML and CSS modules are followed by a User-Centric Frontend module (introducing Bootstrap), JS is followed by an Interactive Frontend module (introducing jQuery), and Python is followed by Practical Python (introducing Flask), Data-Centric Development (introducing SQL and MongoDB), and Full-Stack Frameworks (introducing Django).

As a general rule, the Fundamentals modules are a mix of text lessons, runnable examples and auto-graded challenges or quizzes, while the Practical modules are video/tutorial-based (with occasional challenges) and involve theory (e.g. UI/UX design concepts or database design) and code-along mini projects.

I found most of these lessons very intuitive and easy to follow; some challenges were really challenging and there are some individual points that perhaps could be explained more clearly (although that is really completely subjective), but I can honestly say that I never encountered any issue that I wasn't eventually able to resolve with some own research or, when that failed, using one of the available support options

What bears pointing out is that at the end of every module (be it Fundamentals or Practical) there is a Student Feedback Form which enables every student to leave feedback on the module they just completed. Student feedback is clearly important to CI, and the course is undergoing constant improvements -  just as an example, around the time I started, they changed the “official” course IDE to replace an outdated one, and around the time I was finishing, the Django module was fully remade to use Django 3, and is IMHO currently the best module in the course. Minor bugs or problems (which can also be reported through Slack) are usually resolved (or at least worked around) within hours or days at most.

A single weak point  (but again, this is a completely personal opinion) I was able to identify in the course, is the transition from JavaScript fundamentals to practice. While the JS Fundamentals module is really solid, and the Practical part covers some essential topics like API handling quite well, what I felt was lacking was a code-along project that would build a working JS app from scratch, a demonstration how to apply all the little pieces of the puzzle that are JS syntax and put them together into a working app. The feeling I had was that of a person holding a large set of Lego bricks and knowing exactly what each one does separately, but having no idea how to put them together. By its very nature, JS is a significant difficulty increase from HTML/CSS, and I found myself really struggling to put my theoretical JS knowledge to practice, as did a significant number of other students I conversed with. This is the single point I think really should be improved in the course, and I wrote that in my Feedback Form.

Projects

Every major Practical module ends with a Milestone Project, which has clear official requirements and is graded by an external expert. Thus at the end of the course the graduate has a portfolio of four major apps (HTML/CSS, HTML/CSS/JS, Flask/MongoDB, Django/SQL) that they can demonstrate their knowledge and skills with. The value of the Milestone Project work is immense - one learns to use a real IDE (Gitpod is the official one for the course, but the student is free to choose any alternative IDE if they want to, albeit with limited support), to use Git and GitHub, to search for solutions online (one learns that "Google is your best friend" is so much more than just a catchphrase), to use online tools (validators etc.) and resources (Stack Overflow and beyond) and, most important of all, one sees the result of their theoretical knowledge being materialised into something working and usable. Priceless.

Support

The "four pillars" of support, as advertised, are:

Student Care
    A service for general student matters (LMS access, mentor assignment, progress tracking etc.).  But the level of care they demonstrated (at least to me) far exceeded my expectations. Every six weeks or so I would receive a phone call asking me how I was, acknowledging my progress, my good use of Tutor Support and Slack activity, asking if I was ready for my Milestone Project and/or if I had any difficulties. When my hometown was struck by an earthquake in March 2020, they even called me to ask if there was anything they could help me with - may seem like just a nice gesture, but to me, that's more student care than what I received during my polytechnic studies.

Tutor Support
    A chat-based instant support for day-to-day course-related issues. Primarily intended for lesson clarifications or help with challenges, they will also never refuse to answer even project-related or debugging issues. I only contacted them five or six times during the entire course, three of those times in relation to my Milestone Project, and only when I was really really stuck, but every single time they came through incredibly and helped me resolve my issue or at least pointed me in the right direction. One time the lady Tutor even set up a one-to-one screen-sharing live call to help me debug my code using Dev Tools.
    The best part? Tutor Support is available 24h on weekdays and 9-17h on weekends. It doesn't really get much better than that.

Mentor
    Each student is assigned a personal mentor, a professional programmer whose primary purpose is to guide the student through their milestone projects. Three half-hour sessions per project are foreseen, and the mentor is there not so much to help with coding issues, but to provide ideas on code improvements, suggestions on best practices, advice on app features etc. Apparently some mentors get more involved, some less, but I'd say that how much you get from your mentor is mostly up to you - I for example have a feeling now that perhaps I could have gotten much more had I asked, but at the time I was too busy just getting my apps to work and submitting my projects on time.

Slack
    Current students, alumni, some of the mentors, and some of the CI staff (mostly Tutors and the Community Manager) are what makes up the CI Slack Community.
    Each course module has a dedicated channel where students can ask questions about specific course-related issues they encounter, and what is so invaluable is that they will often get not only peer-level answers (e.g. from a "senior" student who had struggled with the same challenge before them) but also expert-level clarifications from alumni and/or mentors who already work as professional programmers. Some mentors and alumni go so far to occasionally host live educational calls they see students struggle with, and these calls are an immense additional learning opportunity.

I can say without a shred of doubt that the Slack community is the most valuable non-coding part of the course. The amount of support, friendliness and positivity in the channels is incredible, and I have made some really good friends there even though I have never met any of those people before.

Career support

I must say I was the most skeptical about this part. Yes, there is a Careers module at the very end of the course, with some really useful contents (what a CV should look like, why a LinkedIn profile is important, how to write a good cover letter). Also, many third-party vacancies are regularly posted in Slack, and also CI cooperates with several renowned companies who look for developers. But as a career-changer I really felt I would need more "personalised" assistance as I had never attempted a job hunt before, much less in the programming market. I was afraid the module and the job posts alone would be woefully insufficient.
    All my fears were alleviated in my first Google Meet call with the Career Support lady. Not only did she help me remake my CV and advised me what to change in my LinkedIn profile on the spot, she also gave me "homework" (with instructions how to do it) to look for prospective employers/vacancies and make a list.
    In the next call, we reviewed the list and she told me to start applying from the bottom of the list while she would start contacting the HR/recruiting departments in the companies, with the aim of introducing me so I would not be just another anonymous application. We continued through email correspondence, where she provided me with more very valuable advice e.g. on how to respond to application rejections. In the first three weeks of a serious job hunt, I managed to land three interviews. And while I haven't received any job offers yet (it's been only four weeks now, and it's vacation season), I feel that the career support I have received so far has been nothing short of stellar.

Course difficulty

You will hear some people complain that there is too much self-study and outside research required, that for the attached price tag you shouldn’t need to do that. I disagree. Yes, some individual research is needed. But I say with full confidence that there is no obstacle that the course puts in front of the student that couldn’t be overcome using own efforts, Google + outside resources, , Tutor Support, and Slack – at least I haven’t encountered one. And I really appreciate the moments when I was forced to do some own “digging”, as these have taught me the invaluable skill of looking for solutions, asking questions and Googling properly – I know that all this sounds like a joke, but if you’ve ever talked to a programmer, you’ll know it isn’t. I’m glad I wasn’t handed all the answers on a silver platter – I truly believe it has made me a better future programmer. It has also helped me overcome some personal insecurities, which is also a point not to be thrown away.

There will also be people who feel that they are struggling too much, that the lessons are too difficult or too unclear and that the amount of support available is insufficient. While I can appreciate the sentiment - I had my struggles during the course, especially with JavaScript as mentioned above, and there will be the odd lesson that could have been worded better - I have to disagree again. As a former Air Traffic Controller,  I can provide this parallel: while probably almost anyone could be taught to eventually work as an Air Traffic Controller, the time required to achieve that, and the quality of one's work afterwards, would vary wildly from person to person. But the bar has to be set somewhere. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and I don't think it's fair to expect the bar to be set at the level of our weakness. Personally, I have zero talent for visual arts. Could I then blame a painting course for failing to make a Picasso out of me?

Conclusion

What I feel I have received from the course:
    - solid grasp of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, Flask, Django, MongoDB and SQL, and the corresponding documentation,
    - familiarity with Bootstrap, Materialize and jQuery,
    - ability to plan, design and execute a web project from start to finish,
    - ability to troubleshoot, debug and fix my code,
    - solid knowledge of code versioning,
    - ability to use a professional-level IDE, and the ability to grasp any alternate one in the future,
    - ability to ask good troubleshooting questions,
    - ability to search online resources quickly for solutions and/or clarifications,
    - ability to help others resolve their code issues.
    - immense support on all levels, from coding assistance to career to community/friendship.

All said and done: worth every cent and every minute invested.

• Asif Rana  User Photo
    Asif Rana • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    when I started to learn to code in 2018 I had little hard time in the beginning, mostly because i had no roadmap how to start and where to start. While i was exploring different options, i came across Code Institute Curriculum. Instantly it was an appealing option. They have offered me a course with complete structure, starting from HTML and CSS to all the way JavaScript and Python along with all relevant frameworks. This is the path i completed,

HTML
    Git / Github
    Django
    Sql
    Travis CI/CD

And there are few more technologies on the way. The great thing is , there is 7 Days tutor support available, and they are always helpful if you are stuck at any task or code review. I was also assigned to my Mentor who would advise me on completing compulsory 4 Milestone Projects on 3 stages or on demand whenever you need to connect for help. There is great community on Slack and help is available almost 24 hours. You learn a lot from other student's experience. Career support has advised me how to target job search and helped me to make a tailored CV, Cover letter and LinkedIn Profile. Overall i was very happy and delighted to complete my course. Please feel free to checkout my portfolio website and some of the projects .Thank You  https://asifrana.ie/
  • Sophie Wickham   User Photo
    Sophie Wickham • Freelance Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Outstanding course - Diploma in Software Development, covers everything you would need to begin a career in coding, which is actually very hard to do, and involves learning a hell of a lot of new skills. The Code Institute manages to fit everything in whilst giving you amazing support. Thank you sooo much to the tutors, you wouldn't be able to do it without them, literally there at all times, and insanely clever, you will always sort out your problem and learn a lot at the same time. I finished the course in May and have already started working freelance. One of few courses you gain this much practical experience, and a credit-rated qualification if stick to your deadlines (like you would in the job) and listen to your mentor/tutors and Slack community. Another kudos is they let you stay on the Slack community once you have graduated, networking is very important and the support is priceless. Thanks very much, it's been great!
  • Terence Logue  User Photo
    Terence Logue • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Code Institute's website is easy to navigate around which I was pleased with. The tutors were very helpful with technical questions even when helping other students. My mentors were great at helping with projects and gave me their experiences of coding. Student care influenced me to join here and made it easy for me to begin.

Criteria which I learnt was modern and beneficial as I continue to study deeper into the technologies which I learnt here.

Personally, I would recommend Code Institute as it teaches the latest technologies and the support I got was fantastic and beneficial. I enjoyed creating projects and getting feedback from other students to help improve my work. I have no regrets by joining Code Institute and it's opened up a lot of doors for me in the future!
  • Wasted money
    - 5/31/2020
    Peter  User Photo
    Peter • Student Verified via GitHub
    Absolutely terrible. Do not pay so much money for a course unless you are some kind of gifted student in the field, as there is no help if you struggle with the content! You really are on your own.
    Response From: Neil Kavanagh of Code Institute
    Title: Student Care Lead
    Wednesday, Jun 10 2020
    Hi Peter,

We are very disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with your course experience and we would like to talk to you to resolve your issues.

There is no doubt that accelerated coding bootcamps are challenging by their very nature, and we are sorry to hear that you struggled with the course content.

Our support system is designed to assist students in progressing through the course. This includes 24/5 one-on-one tutor support, 14 mentoring sessions with an experienced developer, support from our dedicated student care team, access to our peer-to-peer online community, and guidance from our careers services team.

We would very much appreciate it if you could arrange a call with our student care team so that we can further understand and resolve any issues you may have had.

Thank you for your feedback.

The Code Institute Team
  • Brilliant Diplomas
    - 5/11/2020
    Feddie  User Photo
    Feddie • Dermesonoglou • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Code Institute is an amazing organisation that is very interested to assist people to expand on their career. From the very first day, from their core modules (very structured) to their tutor and community support, it makes you not only learn a lot, but also enjoy this entire journey. They are so prepared to help a person from even a beginner level to become very confident in programming. They focus on python frameworks but also on being very keen to javascript and front-end, to make a person realise then where they want to turn on. It is based on submitting projects rather than doing an online examination, which in my opinion is more efficient. Bottom line, it is a career-based and accredited diploma and I fully recommend to anyone to enroll at their courses and become part of it... It is a win-win and a career highlight !!!
  • Geert van Kaathoven  User Photo
    Geert van Kaathoven Verified via GitHub
    I got in contact with Code Institute when I went to one of the open evenings in Amsterdam. Soon after this I decided to join and start on my career change.
    The course itself is divided in different modules and along the way you do 4 milestone projects. Which you can showcase on your portfolio along the way.

If you are stuck you always can ask you question to the tutor support. And they will guide you in the right direction. Or there is the slack community with all the current and past students answering question. As you start on each milestone you get a assigned a mentor that will help you along the way.

Code Institute does also have hackathons  to take part in(ex: Easter, Halloween, Christmas) to get the feel of working in teams/sprints.

After your graduated you still be part of a great community!

• Robin Kaal  User Photo
    Robin Kaal • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The best reason to do this course is that you can study from anywhere and still have a great tutor support at almost any time on the day. It gives you all the knowledge to continue learning more and start a career in software development.
  • Les  User Photo
    Les • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I found this to be a fantastic course and an excellent challenging experience.  Coming from a sales background with little to no knoweldge of coding I found it significantly challenging.  Luckily the support that is offered reallys helps you and it does it in a way that lets you find the answer yourself without just providing it straight up.  The support tools include a mentor assigned to you for the whole duration, who was excellent, basically a 24/7 tutoring team, who were also excellent, an awesome slack community that includes students going through the same course with channels specific to the stage you are at and a general student care team who check in with you regularly to ensure everything is ok and on track. And again everyone who I dealt with whether it was student or staff couldnt be more helpful.  Dont get me wrong there are times when my head was completely melted from trying to grasp the concepts, and as you dig deeper you realise that there is so much to learn and it can sometimes be overwhelming, but if you stick at it and leverage the help at hand then you can do well.  Dont underestimate the time you need to set aside too, the course assessment is based on four milestone projects that are designed to implement your learnings along the way and get progressively more advanced as each new concept is integrated, with the culmination reaching a project needing the full stack suite of skills and tools to complete successfully.  Now freshly finished I do feel like I have come along way, however, I would say that whilst I have a broad new skillset, I do have the desire to practise practise practise to become much more proficient and polished in each new skill I have, to get to the standard that I am pursuing, but that might be just my personality. The fact I could only study part time (about 15-20hrs per week) might also mean feel I need to do more in my own time now.  You could easily give this course 40 hours plus per week with all the areas that it covers if you have the time and the desire to go deeper into it.  Overall, I highly recommend it and it does get you job ready if you are accountable and disciplined. I am now about to see what the job assistance process is like so as this stage I am assuming it also a good process based on the other areas of the course.
  • PRANITA GANDHI  User Photo
    PRANITA GANDHI • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Really good course - covers front end and back coding really well. Excellent 24/7 tutor support and supportive slack community.  Perhaps a Front-end Javascript framework like React or Node.JS could be included in the course curriculum to make students more employable.