bitbootcamp-logo

BitBootCamp

BitBootCamp

BitBootCamp training programs consist of intense and effective curriculums designed to address the need for solid technical talent in the decision sciences industry. BitBootCamp offers efficient courses in data science, machine learning, big data, and advanced analytics. Applicants can be seasoned academics looking to jump into industry, or weekend data enthusiasts that build models in their free time. Either way, BitBootCamp works with students during their transition into analytics. The course consists of four weeks of coding and data science lessons, including essential skills in Computer Science and statistics, Hadoop, Java Map Reduce and Classification.

BitBootCamp's mission is to train the next generation of Data Scientists.

Recent BitBootCamp Reviews: Rating 3.56

In Person
    Evening course (6 weeks)
  • Data Science and Machine Learning Immersive

New York City
    Full-time course (8 weeks)

• Víctor  User Photo
    Víctor • García • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Thanks to the support of two excellent teachers, one focused on Python and the other focused on ML, as well as 3 more specialists in the field who in all classes knew how to answer all my questions, not only could I conclude the Bootcamp but we also acquired the practice and The knowledge necessary to start in this field of data analysis, we have an excellent environment and at all times we have direct communication with the entire Ironhack Mexico team.

During the Bootcamp course we had a first ML teacher who did not have the necessary skills, so we requested a new teacher and the Ironhack team sent us an excellent machine learning teacher, which was Yonatan Rodriguez Alvarez, which I highly recommend; and with respect to the previous teacher, don't worry because he doesn't teach on campus anymore.

• Joshua Hawthorne-Madell • Graduate

They do not help place you in a job. The "best" they offer is to unpaid intern for them with the vague offers of unpaid work later. The content is okay, but you could find the same online with a little digging. I could not even get a letter of completion/recomendation from them.

I think its a poor program for the money, and mainly a way for the owner to keep his data science company afloat. I'd look for other bootcamps, or maybe just suck it up and learn on your own. The course material was okay, and did help my accelerate the progress of my learning, but that wasn't really worth all the time and money I spent on ths course.

• Excellent Bootcamp
    - 9/30/2016
    Katherine Bueno • Graduate

I am a former educator transitioning into Data Science, and this course has been an excellent foundation. The course has exceptional instructors, and an impressive curriculum to match.

I've had 4 different instructors throughout my time here, and every single instructor is professional, extremely knowledgeable, approachable, and always patient.

I appreciated that the course really hones in on real-world applications of Data Science, very similar to how it would be done in the work place. No nonsense! It is intense from beginning to end, with lots of relevant and exciting lectures, so definitely be prepared to be challenged and put in the effort!

Overall, it was an wonderful experience. I highly recommend this course to data aficionados, as well as the beginners (like myself) trying to move toward Data Science and Machine Learning.

• Hadoop / Big Data
    - 9/20/2016
    John • Graduate

This course was awesome and worth every minute.  The balance between lecture and lab/project time was perfect.  Looking back, there would be no way I coudl have learned as much as I did on my own.  My eyes are now fully open to the world of big data!

• Kevin

Hadoop and big data are not subjects that are easy to digest. This course really put me to the test. The instructor is no nonsense and has over a decade of big data experience. You can't learn data science from anyone better. He has connections and job assistance shouldn't be a problem if you have the right stuff. I don't come from a technical background so it took some time and dedication but I was able to receive my Hadoop certification and it was only through the help of this course. I had to put in 10-12 hours/day 5 days a week for 3+ weeks to really get a good understanding. If you're serious about data science, take the leap of faith with this school.

• BitBootCamp
    - 11/18/2014
    Mathi

The BitBootCamp is very good, I learned lot about big data tecnology with experienced professional instructor,lot of real world use cases. The course help to understand big data easy, which you won't get in online courses. I stongly recommand this course who want to learn and get a Job in big data.

• Awesome
    - 11/11/2014
    Nick • Graduate

The Bit Bootcamp is awesome. I learned a lot of Big Data tech and Machine Learning algos from this bootcamp.

• Charles Henick • Graduate

Fresh out of university and looking for employment, I stumbled upon an ad for Bit Bootcamp. It promised that I could learn how to converse with big data and solve real world problems in only one month. At first I thought it must be a scam, but it turns out that promise was kep and moret. After spending a month working through a thorough curriculum with an incredible instructor, I was able to pass the Hadoop certificiation exam and find a job working at one of the largest companies in NYC. The whole process could not have gone any better. If you are prepared to work hard for a high reward, sign up for this program as soon as possible.

• Jose Escolano • Big Data Architect Developer • Graduate

After 12 years working in academia, I decided to move to the industry and I found big data can require of people with similar skills than mine. But in a very competitive job market, if any specific experience on the sector, I could be very hard to put a foot inside.

I found by chance an advertisment about bitbootcamp. After scheduling an interview with the instructors, they accept my candidature to join the course. During three intense weeks we review, in a very practical sense, aspects related to Linux, SQL and Java. Despite I had experience on some of these topics, I found myself improving my skills by applying my knowledge in very oriented way. The most interesting part was the dedicated to Hadoop (HDFS, Mapreduce, Hive,...). I had tried several times to learn by myself, but the topic is pretty complicated. However, this course help me to understand the Big Data principles, and how Hadoop is the right solution. Furthermore, during those intensive weeks, I found myself solving real problems with real data, and specially, enjoying the process.

Few days later after finishing the course, I found, with the assistance of the instructors, a position in a big company in the Big Data Development time. And I apply everyday all what I learned here.

I strongly recommend the course for those who want to start on this challenging topic and are decided to work hard. Of course, this course only make sense if the student is really committed to make a considerable effort to learn a complex discipline in few weeks.

• Big Data Training
    - 11/4/2014
    Course was the full package from beginning to end. I was taught everything I needed to know for real world big data analytics. No boring powerpoints, theory lessons...pure real world application skills. Simple as that. Instructor has years of experience leading a big data team at a top company in NYC. The best part about this course was the job placement. I highly recommend this course to everyone. If you put in some serious time and effort, you'll become fully marketable to big data positions that pay very nicely.
  • Engineer
    - 6/14/2017

Extremely poor value for the money we pay., More than $5000 of my own hard earned money (+ lots of money to travel to and fro from NYC) to get instruction from couple of instructors who just were not the experts. They would hand out notes and programming assignment text every class, and take questions. There WAS NO attempt ot even link real industry use-cases to the classes. No deep insight or anything... One can simply take courses on Coursera which was far better. No attempt to provide real datasets (large). No attempts to teach real problem solving. No industry experts even came for the class. Finally, absolutely no career guidance!! And no certificate either.

In short, complete waste of hard-earned money. I took this course only because some site mentioned it is a great place - probably paid by this useless bootcamp.

• bootcamp 2016
    - 11/21/2016

Waste of time, money, no job placement, not hiring partners, all lies.  They don't help you at all with jobs it's like yeah we have hiring partners, you don't need projects for github etc...lies.  They don't answer emails...Save your money go to a real data science school.    You would think that they would believe in their own program to the point where they would at least give you an internship with their consulting company to at least gain some experience nope...they just sell you crap....SAVE YOUR $$$ you will not get a job through these people.

• think again..
    - 11/12/2016

I wrote a previous review which I spent some time on that got deleted....so to keep this one short incase it gets deleted again, this program is not worth your money.

Yes things are tought in this class but not worth the cost of the program. I felt scammed almost by the end of it, as if it were just a moneymaking scheme for the main company. I would not recommend these classes unless they were almost free. Things can be learned online at a better pace/depth and efficency than anything you will pick up here. At the end of the program there is no job assistance dont get tricked into thinking there is.

I regret taking the part-time hadoop and big data analytics course at BitBootCamp and would advise against it in it's current state. In fact, my theory is that the whole BitBootCamp business is mostly a way for the founder to help fund his sister big data consulting startup, Hudson Data.

Also, apparently they occasionally try to use the classes as a recruitting tool, as the teacher said that a few former students currently worked with Hudson Data. Be wary, though. A couple of students in the class were asked to work on projects for them with the possibility to get hired if they did a good job. They said later that they were jerked along with future promises but that they were never payed or hired because at the end of the day, the projects they worked on weren't revenue generating and so they couldn't justify hiring them to work on it. I suppose the lesson is if they do ask you, make sure you work on Big Data technologies that are a core part of their business. Otherwise, they seem to be trying to get free work out of you for various ideas they have but don't want to dedicate time to themselves. The students said they would have been better off just applying to jobs in their free time.

ANYWAY, about the class itself. The teacher was a previous student at the Bootcamp who had very little teaching experience and didn't seem to prepare very much beforehand. Don't be fooled by the professional looking presentation of the course on their website. The actual content was very surface level and very little learning took place in class. He basically introduced subjects at a very general level but didn't go into many details (and when he did, he would occasionally fumble it) nor did he have good examples/exercises to help the students learn. Their were some exercise sheets handed out for unix and sql, but they were never discussed later so it was just up to the students to do on their own (these resources are online for free btw). Also, he would often ramble on about his work experiences or give us platitudes about how if you learned some technology, you will have no problem finding a job, all of which was essentially time wasting so he could fill the three hours. Even then, he often would stop 30-60 minutes early.

Despite their class description, there was very little cohesiveness to the class nor direct skill building. Regarding big data, the teacher skimmed over the hadoop documentation and basically rotely instructed us to set up a one-node cluster with the free trial on AWS (again, there are free resources to do this online, which they probably themselves used), and gave us some vaque ideas of things to try. No detailed learning module or cool projects that you develop through the class that you can put on your resume.

Lastly, the professional development regarding resume reviews, interview practice, or job network is non-existent. One of the students said they talked to a guy who used to work at Hudson Data, and he said that the founder had connections to American Express, but they have sinced dried up.

I took a bunch of outline courses before diving into the bootcamp scene, but never really felt comfortable with various topics.  Soo...I took the plunge...

Very happy with my experience at Bitbootcamp.  Took the Data Science and Machine Learning course part time and got a lot out of it.  The instructors and material were top-notch and I got a lot of assistance working through weekly and longer projects.  Everyone was very friendly and patient.

I actually did not want to write negative review as I am not a jerk and although I was not happy with the delivery of the course, I just figured to see it as a bad experience as I only attended one class and I knew that there were others who paid a lot more because they attended other classes at the same time.

But, I just did not want others to have similar experience and waste thousands of dollars of hard-earned money for something wasteful.

Curriculum: the learning roadmap was top notch, and this was actually the reason I joined the class, but the delivery was not even close. If you think that you would actually build your own cluster of 5 to 10 nodes, fuhgetabutit. Learned about AWS, not a chance. When we asked about this, one of the instructors (who also happened to be the founder) responded that it would take a lot of times to do that and that it would just not be possible with the allotted time (I attended the part time class), but ... if you know that it is not possible why they were listed on the curriculum (and they still are). Also,everything in the class were just instructional introductory material, except for the unix commands and sql syntax, there were practices, but here is the caveat: they just gave you practice questions but there was no answer or even discussion. Heck, how do I know if I was doing it correctly or not? again, cliche answer: they wanted us to practice on our own.

Instructors: all of the instructors were either graduates from the previous classes or employees of their sister company hudson data. This fact was not the issue, the issue was that they did not have prior teaching experience and some of the instructors told us that they were actually contacted by the founder to teach the class at the last minute so they asked us to excuse them a bit if somehow they missed one or two. Don't get me wrong, most of the instructors were nice people, they tried to do the best they could given the circumstances, I just think they are not up to the task.

Job Assistance: nope, not even resume preparation as mentioned on the curriculum.

Overall experience: just one of those classes which you feel that you just wasted a lot of money for nothing. Classes often ended before the scheduled time around 8.15-8.30pm (schedule: 6-9pm), again, here is the excuse: well, why prolong something that can be done quicker?

I noticed some of good reviews the school received in the past were from the early classes where they could still get job assistance because the founder happened to know some folks in American Express in the nearby location, but those folks had master degree in related field, some even have phd degree (just so you know)