austin-coding-academy-logo

Austin Coding Academy

Austin, Austin, San Antonio

Austin Coding Academy

Austin Coding Academy is a 9-month part-time programming school in Austin, Texas teaching courses in Full Stack JavaScript, C#/.NET, and UX/Freelance. The school teaches a research-based curriculum delivered by professional developers working in the industry, with a mission is to make careers in technology accessible to everyone. Austin Coding Academy’s Full Stack Web Development tracks are broken into Intro, Intermediate, and Advanced courses with separate student outcomes for each track. Students meet twice weekly in the evenings and will have homework and study material assigned between classes. All courses are challenging and project-based.

Full Stack JavaScript graduates build full stack web applications utilizing React/Redux, Express, MongoDB, and Node. Austin Coding Academy JavaScript graduates work at companies like Verizon, Walmart, and Austin Startups.

C# / .NET graduates will be trained in the Microsoft Stack including C#, Object-Oriented Programming, the .NET framework, and Visual Studio along with all its tools. Students build SQL databases with the Entity Framework and learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to perfect the front end. ACA C# .NET graduates work at companies like Frost Bank and military defense contractors.

UX/Freelance graduates learn HTML, CSS, Flexbox, CSS Grid, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Sass. Students explore the Principles of Design to build mock-ups and sitemaps, and learn how to find and build relationships with clients, construct personas, and customer journey maps, and more. Many graduates from this program earn their living as Freelance Web and UX Designers.

Recent Austin Coding Academy Reviews: Rating 4.74

all (23) reviews for Austin Coding Academy →

Recent Austin Coding Academy News

• Full Stack JavaScript Track

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, MVC
    LocationAustin
    Our Full Stack JavaScript Track is one of two full stack sequences offered at Austin Coding Academy. Classes meet twice per week from 6:30 – 9:00 p.m. (M/W or Tu/Th), and students are expected to spend 10 – 15 additional hours/week coding on their own or taking advantage of unlimited tutoring sessions. The total length of the track is 36 weeks, broken down: -Web 101 (8 weeks) -JavaScript 211 (8 weeks) -JavaScript 311 (8 weeks) -JavaScript 411 (8 weeks) -Job Placement Course (4 weeks) At the end of the program, students will be able to deploy a functioning Full Stack JavaScript application and will have received job readiness training covering everything from building a resume to mock technical interviews.
    DepositA $490 deposit is required to reserve your seat and gain access to your textbook
    Lending partners available, including our primary financing partner: Skills Fund
    Tuition PlansGive us a call at (512) 827-8498 to discuss our flexible tuition options
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience required.
    Prep WorkAfter enrolling in class you will be required to complete pre-work in your inline textbook
  • Intro to Web: HTML & CSS (8-week Seminar)

HTML, Git, Design, CSS
    LocationAustin
    Our 8-week "Intro to Web" class is an introduction to the basics of web development. During this course you will: -Learn how to use a code editor (Visual Studio Code) -Build a site using HTML, CSS, and Vanilla JavaScript -Deploy your site using Git, Github, and your terminal -Explore basic design, DOM manipulation, input control, and form submissions This course is perfect for someone looking to gain a practical understand of the basics of web development. After this course you will be able to build a responsive web page and understand the foundations of software development. This course is also the first course of both of our Full Stack Tracks.
  • WordPress Development Track

HTML, Design, Sales, User Experience Design, CSS, Wordpress, SEO, Linux, Front End
    LocationAustin
    Austin Coding Academy's 10-week WordPress Development Track is part of a unique collaboration between Austin Coding Academy and WP Engine, the global leader in WordPress hosting. During this track, students will dive deep into WordPress development and design, developing all of the necessary skills to graduate ready to pursue a career in WordPress Development. In addition to learning technical WordPress skills, students will also develop customer support skills and be offered a guaranteed interview with WP Engine for the position of Technical Support Specialist. This full-time role is a part of WP Engine's Customer Experience team and is responsible for providing WordPress support to WP Engine clients. In addition to working for a premier tech company based here in Austin, this role provides a competitive salary, full medical insurance, opportunities for upward mobility, and many other employment perks.
    Tuition PlansWe offer payment plans and financing options.
    Minimum Skill LevelNone.
    Prep WorkYes. Provided after admittance.

• Abby Gottlich  User Photo
    Abby Gottlich • Associate Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I'm so incredibly happy I chose Austin Coding Academy for several reasons. The staff is awesome. They are very personable and the class sizes are pretty small, so your teachers know who you are, your strengths, and what you need help with. They are up-to-date on all of the latest technologies. I had an internship during my time at ACA and there were some new things that I had learned in class that the senior developers at the company had not even learned yet. Class times are optimal. They don't have any courses (that I know of) that meet during regular business hours, so it's very manageable if you also work a full-time job. ACA also prepares you for your job search. They have an extra job placement course at the end of all of your coding courses that preps you for interviews and helps you get your portfolio site/LinkedIn/Resume looking good for employers. Finally, the curriculum is very challenging, but this is a good thing! You REALLY get what you pay for. I HIGHLY recommend ACA to anyone interested in starting a career in technology!

• Ronald Hajewski  User Photo
    Ronald Hajewski • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I am a recent graduate of ACA's Full-Stack Web Development bootcamp. I learned essential skills to build web applications, design websites and most importantly - how to find work. I am now one week into my new job as a web developer.

If you're thinking about becoming a developer but not sure where to start, I recommend contacting ACA to sit in a few classes and see if it's right for you.

• Cynthia Williams  User Photo
    Cynthia Williams • Junior Software Engineer Verified via GitHub

One year ago I was doing the same research as anyone reading this review.  The questions I wanted answers to were: Can I do this?  Is the investment worth it?  Can I get a job after this program?  The answer to all three is yes!  As a recent graduate who has landed my first job in the field,  I would make the exact same choice again with Austin Coding Academy. I am a career-changer who after years of job hopping was tired of not feeling fulfilled with my career choices.  With the help and unwavering support of everyone on the ACA team, I now feel prepared to begin my new career.  ACA provides all the tools anyone could possibly need to be successful in the program. The staff goes above and beyond to make sure students have every opportunity for success.  Great teachers, great staff, solid curriculum, a sense of community, tutors for assistance outside of class, and help to find a job.  What more could you ask for?  ACA provides everything needed to acquire the skills necessary to move into a career as a developer.

• Darwin Risser • Software Support Analyst • Graduate

If you are serious about changing careers, Austin Coding Academy will get you there. With the help of the fantastic teachers and other faculty at ACA, you WILL achieve your goals if you work hard and stay committed. This is not an easy program and you shouldn't expect to be successful if you aren't willing to work hard, sacrifice lots of free time, and struggle along the way, but if you commit to the program and follow the advice of the people trying to help you get a job, it WILL happen. I graduated at the end of April and had two job offers by mid June. All it takes is the right mindset and work ethic and you can do the same.

• Katie Macaulay • Web Developer/ Manager • Graduate

Austin Coding Academy is one of the most unique and wonderful education experiences I have had in my life. Before I started ACA I was a teacher for 9 years, and my mission was to (and still is) to express my deep loving commitment towards my student's success and advocate for their voice in the community and choices the school makes for them. Austin Coding Academy breaks the barrier between students, instructors, administration and the larger community to insure that students who take the effort to attend classes and commit to learning (even if they might not know how), are successful in finding a new career. Of those who graduated, all are finding new opportunities that are exciting and challenging to them in the Web Development World and getting paid well to do it! Most of my peers have become my greatest support and closest friends. ACA offers continuous support to students after graduation to help students from networking to interview advice, and has helped me create great connections. To sum it up: ACA builds community, grows and evolves with quickly changing Tech, and commits to helping each student be successful.

• Laurie Hansson • Developer • Graduate

Attending ACA opened a lot of new doors for me. I was trying to break out of a series of dead end jobs and pursue something more. Development was a foreign subject to me, but I had a passion for designing and discovered that so much of coding is just as creative as it is technical. I learned the fundamentals of web design through the introductory course, and after pursuing internships & community events, I was able to utilize the knowledge gained through ACA to pursue my dream career before graduating. I highly reccomend this school.

• Greg Swan • Web Developer • Graduate

I took Austin Coding Academy's JavaScript Full Stack course. I began the course in January of 2017 and graduated the following December and could not be happier with their program.

The curriculum is constanly changing to keep up with the fast pace of the industry. As a developer, It's critical to keep up with new web development trends and technologies. ACA did such a great job of helpping me hit the ground running by teaching the same tech I'm now working with on a daily basis.

I cannot say enough about the quality of this program because I would not be where I am today without it. After graduating the program, the staff at ACA really worked hard to help me land my first development job. I've been in that job for almost nine months now and couldn't be happier. I would reccomend this bootcamp to anyone looking to learn the foundation of modern web development— ACA is good people!

• Aubrey L. • Account Manager • Student

Great teachers & all around staff who are dedicated to helping you succeed! I am taking the Full-stack Javascript route and loving every bit of Austin Coding Academy. TA's, tutors, and the instructors and there to help you every bit of the way. 10/10 would recommend if you are dedicated to learning technical skills!

• Mehmet • Software Developer • Graduate

If you are looking for dedicated people who are passionate about teaching  programming and assisting you in every way, ACA is the right place for you...They will give you the right tools and show you the way to become a good developer. You’ll still be putting all the effort but the experienced instructors will always be there when you need them. When I got my first programming job, I was very grateful for Austin Coding Academy who connected me with right people. Thanks to ACA, I now work as a software developer, love my job, and do amazing things with ambitious  people.

• Karen Davis • Student

I entered the UX/Freelance track already having a background in web design.  This track has helped me to improve my skills and bring them current.  I have also learned new skills and applications that will definitely help me be more successful.  The instructors and staff are great and I couldn't have chosen a better program to be in!

• Eric Robert Walz • Client Care Specialist • Student

The teachers and staff are very friendly, outgoing, and supportive.  Throughout my time in their program, I rarely had any issues that weren't immediately addressed, or help immediately offered.  I greatly enjoyed working with everyone from ACA.  The ability to still hold a job while attending a web design course is a huge plus, too!

• Stu • Student

The instructors at ACA are very knowledgeable and truly enjoy teaching.
    10/10, Would recommend to anyone in the Austin area wanting to get into coding. I went into the course knowing very little about coding, and after only the introductory course, I was already applying to jobs in the tech industry.

• Manny Hagman • Student

I have completed both the intro and intermediate course at Austin Coding Academy (Austin Campus) and it has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.

In 20 weeks I have gone from knowing some VERY limited HTML( I knew what a few tags were) to being able to design an interactive, good looking, web page with HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

I understand the fundamentals of computer programming and have developed a passion for learning multiple languages and getting deeper and deeper into the subject matter.

I have already had two interviews for developer positions even though I have yet to complete the entire curriculum. While I was not accepted for these positions, I never would have had the opportunity to interview were it not for

1. The skills aquired during my time at ACA and
    2. The AMAZING job network and support provided by ACA.

They truly care about what their students learn and are always there to listen and provide support.

My classmates are amazing.

I've never been surrounded by such serious and determined students.
    Their hunger and determination servers as great motivation to study and study often.

The course work and cirriculum are demanding, but never overwhelming and someone is always available to point you in the right direction.

The administration at ACA are so incredbly helpful and are always open to feedback.

I highly recommend Austin Coding Academy to anyone and everyone interested in coding and beyond.

I can't wait to start the Advanced course.

• Program Review
    - 9/10/2016
    Ernie T. • Student

I researched many schools in the Austin area before choosing the Austin Coding Academy.  The reason I chose them was because they offered the best quality at an exceptional price.  I come from a Finance background and I have never worked in IT before. The intro course is very informative and detailed.  As soon as you begin classes the school brings in guest speakers and IT recruiters.  I love the field trips we take as well.  Halfway thru my Intro course the career services team placed me in a new job within the IT industry.  It occurred very fast and I am very grateful for all their instruction and help.  My goal is to have a better work-life balance and the Austin Coding Academy has already helped me get my foot in the door. I am very excited to see what opportunities will be presented to me once I complete the entire Full Stack Developer program. Choosing to attend the Austin Coding Academy has proven to be one of the best decisions I have ever made.

• Callie • Web Applications Developer • Graduate

I came in to Austin Coding Academy's course with a feeling that the things I had been learning on my own were missing some large fundamentals and I was right. Austin Coding Academy helped me understand every step of the process for making a website not just the coding language. Luke and Chris, the founders, go above and beyond for the students and alumni by offering more than just qualified teachers. Students are given every chance to succeed with office hours, study groups and one-on-one tutoring if needed. The teachers who have years of experience in the industry, will challenge you with problems that will make you a better coder, improve your google-fu and stretch your knowledge base. The school is dedicated to not only with providing you in-depth knowledge, but also by helping you out on your future career path. Many students continue to be involved with the school after graduating going to alumni events, mentoring, and going to office hours. I am proud to stay that I got my first job in the web development industry as a Web Applications Developer because of Austin Coding Academy.

Monday, Jun 13 2016
    Thanks so much for the kind words, Callie! You're the best and I'm stoked to hear about the new job! We're all proud of you and the hard work you put in. Let us know if there's anything we can do.
  • Natalie Doucet • Systems Engineer • Graduate

I love Austin Coding Academy and can not say enough good things about them!  ACA not only teaches you Full-Stack Web Development, but also provides you with crucial skills to aide you in finding a job upon (or even before) graduation.

During my time there, ACA offered field trips to hot tech companies in Austin actively hiring, networking events, job fairs, and resume and interview workshops.  Not only did I learn skills like whiteboarding and how to interview for a tech job, but I gained confidence in my own abilities that I would not have had otherwise.  One of the owners actually personally helped me craft my resume in the middle of SXSW.  Because of all this, I was able to land a job as System Engineer before I had even completed the final course.

Everyone involved with this school is passionate about learning and is completely invested in helping all the students succeed.  I was able to build a fantastic network of people not only from the teachers, but from other students as well.  Hands down, there is not another coding bootcamp out there where you get this much bang for your buck.

Thursday, Apr 28 2016
    Hey Natalie,
    So happy that you're digging your new job! You're always welcome back whenever you're nearby.
  • A Great Education
    - 11/18/2015

I love Austin Coding Academy.  I just finished the front end intro course and had an overwhelmingly positive experience.  The teacher, Erik, is a hilarious guy who is also great at his job.  He presents the subject matter in a way that's easy to understand.  Jake, the TA, is a super nice guy who is always willing to help.  Erik’s classes were very organized and well thought out.  In class, we learned about one subject a day.  We’d do a few exercises with Erik together and then were left on our own for homework.  Mondays had smaller homework assignments and Wednesdays had bigger homework assignments.  Office hours are there if you need help.  Teachers and TAs always responded to emails.  Class moved at a pace that was just right for me.  I felt challenged by the work but never like it was beyond my capabilities.  I felt confident walking into it and out of it.  I also never felt overloaded by the homework or study requirements.   I felt I had time to focus on my responsibilities outside of class.  I dedicated, at least, ten hours a week to study without problems.

What I loved most about ACA is that they're doing education in a different way.  I came to ACA after some difficult years in college as a disabilities student.  I made a very serious decision to drop out and find some other way to start a career.  I tried learning to code on my own for a while, but it wasn’t easy without teachers and some structure in place.  I walked into ACA half-thinking I would have the exact same downward spiral as I did when I was in college.  Instead, I walked out with the best learning experience of my life.  At ACA, your work is assessed rather than graded.  If you don't understand something, it's not the end of the world.  Their priority is helping you learn.  I really think that made all the difference.  It made learning a truly positive experience rather than one based on negative motivation.  Most people with my issues have low rates of high school and college graduation.  Most go into adulthood never finding full-time employment and financial independence.  It has meant the world to me walk away from just one class at ACA knowing I can start to put that fear behind me and knowing that dropping out of college wasn’t the biggest mistake of my life.  Now I have a real skill and I can make a real career that pays while doing something I love.  My friends and family have never been happier for me.

I took one star off just for the little things they’re dealing with as a new company.  They could be a little more organized and communicative.  Office hours are sort of required and I'd appreciate more flexibility there.  It would also be nice to see more women working at ACA.  As I point out these things, I cannot go without saying that the founders and teachers clearly are always trying to work out any kinks in the system and that matters so much.  They’re invested in student opinion (anonymous surveys, discussion), doing what’s best for the students, and changing stuff when they see it needs changing.

I would highly recommend ACA.  It’s absolutely worth the money.  It cost me a lot less than college and I walked out with a lot more.  I also had a lot of fun.  I’m looking forward to taking the intermediate class.

Thursday, Apr 28 2016
    I just wanted to say thank you for the happy review. We're always working to get better and since this review have improved office hours and organized the classes to be even more effective. Additionally, we've been fortunate enough to find some really amazing female instructors that have joined our team. Looking forward to seeing you in the future!

The advanced class (working with Mongo, Express, React and Node ) instructor did a phenomenal job of guiding us along the way while teaching you to be independent and job-ready.  In addition, the career services team is an exceptional asset to the program, as they give you personal feedback on your resume/cover letters/etc. to be job search ready. Thanks to their help and the modern curriculum, I accepted a job offer less than a month after graduation! This program is tough, but anyone willing to work hard will be successful.

• Wonderful School!
    - 4/26/2017

This is a great school that puts students first. All instructors are professional developers and learning from their experience is tremendously useful. This school requires a lot of work, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're dedicated to working hard and really want to become a developer.

• ACA Intro
    - 3/2/2017

Kevin and Manny are fabulous instructors who are ever-helpful and great at what they do.

• ACA Review
    - 2/16/2017

I have a lot of great things to say about ACA, but want to leave an honest review for other individuals like myself who are looking to take courses in coding.

First off the entire factulty and staff is awesome. If you're looking for 1:1 attention this is the place for you. They make sure every issue, question, and conern is addressed.

I've taken all three classes. The intro class was fantastic. Learned a ton, the instructor and the TA were great too. They really did everything they could to make sure we were learning the material.

The intermediate and advanced class, I can't say the same thing. This is where things went south for me in this program.

The hardest part that I found about going through ACA is that they put way too much emphasis on you actually understanding what is going on in the prework. They expect you to go into class understanding everything. For myself, without a technical/coding background the prework to me was very confusing in itself. By the time you start your first class they expect you to be an expert on prework and jump right into the material. For people with a coding background, I'm sure that's great because you're probably looking to take this class to expand what you already know and don't want to sit around waiting for a beginner like myself to get up to speed. But for someone like myself who knew nothing, I didn't understand anything a lot of the concepts and was already behind on the first day of class. I was playing catch up the entire time. I ended up having to pay for tutors and online material to teach me the basic fundamentals that ACA assumed you understood from the prework. My understanding was that my tuition money was going to actually go towards an instructor teaching me fundamentals, but it wasn't.

For me, this method of teaching wasn't what I needed. I needed to start from nothing and build up from there with an actual instructor, not from a free codeschool class. I honestly learned more for Udemy and my tutor than I did from ACA.

For those of you who already have a good background with coding, then I would highly suggest this course. Everyone I was in class with that already had a good background in it loved the classes and were really succesful in learning everything.

Hope this review helps!

Response From: Dan Cumming of Austin Coding Academy
    Title: Campus Manager
    Friday, Mar 03 2017
    We appreciate you choosing our coding academy. I'm truly sorry that you had the experience that you describe here. As you know, we're always finding ways to improve, and every bit of feedback is valuable to us. I would like to ask you more about your experience and work to make things right with you. We're committed to making sure that students get what they came for, and I'd love to talk with you further about how we can do that. Please email me at dan@austincodingacademy.com.
  • Great School!
    - 2/15/2017

I'm really happy with my experience at Austin Coding Academy. They taught me a lot and made me apply my learning to solve problems. I enjoyed the hands on experience and collaboration with others. I feel prepared to start a career as a web developer.