altcademy-logo

Altcademy

Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Online, Singapore

Altcademy

Altcademy (formerly Hack Pacific) is an education institute offering intensive online programming courses. Courses cover back and front end technologies including JavaScript, HTML, CSS, Node.js, React, React Native and Ruby on Rails. The school was founded to meet the huge demand for programmers in the Asia startup community. It is aimed at beginners with no experience, and has a selection of online courses that help students become software developers. Students can choose between an Immersive Path that includes all curriculum materials, online chat, and a Q&A database, or a Personalized Career Path, that includes additional 1-1 mentorship, career guidance, interview prep, and more.

The program has no pre-requisites and is designed for beginners to learn from scratch. Students can enroll and start the course at any time.

Career Path students receive resume guidance, networking tips, and technical interview preparation. Altcademy works with partners in Silicon Valley to keep up-to-date with the latest technology trends. The quality of graduates is the only measure of success. Altcademy aims to go the extra mile to ensure students get the best out of their programs.

Recent Altcademy Reviews: Rating 4.98

all (49) reviews for Altcademy →

Recent Altcademy News

• Back-end Web Development

Rails, Ruby
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      Learn Ruby and Ruby on Rails and build multiple back-end API applications in 16 weeks. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo Prerequisites
    • Coding 101

In PersonPart Time1 Hours/week
      This 5-day free course is designed for beginners. This is for someone who knows nothing about coding. This course is non-technical. You don’t need to know anything about programming. By the end of Day 5, you will learn enough to feel comfortable with coding.
    • Front-end Web Development

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Front End
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      In 20 weeks, you will learn HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, jQuery, Git and build multiple front-end projects. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours of work on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo prerequisites required.
    • Full-stack Web Development

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Front End, Ruby, SQL
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      Learn Full-stack Web Development in 36 weeks. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo Prerequisites
    • Michele J • Student

I am learning to break from a 9 to 5 job so I can work at home and spend more time with my children. And I didn't want to quit my job before learning enough to get a freelance job. That's why I chose this course, it is online and flexible, and the mentorship was what sold me.

• Harvir O • Student
      I came in to this program already knowing some HTML and CSS. So the first part of the material was a really good review of my existing knowledge, as it revealed some of the holes I had. The JavaScript part had a comfortable learning curve, it started from the absolute basics and slowly progressed to high level (some times difficult) concepts. There were plenty of exercises for practice, which was important. Part 3 combined HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to create websites that would call external APIs, and create interactive game features. It really painted the picture well of how a website is put together. In summary, it was a very rewarding experience and I have learned a more logical and stretigic way to think by learning how to code.
    • Jack K • Graduate

I tried to learn programming on my own for a couple of years but I never managed to get very far. Looking back, it was probably due to the lack of a structured curriculum and motivation to carry on. Altcademy's nanomajor program was very well planned out. It covers all the nitty gritty details and had plenty of examples and alternative explanations for harder concepts. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with them. The mentors were extremely responsive and accommodating when I asked them for help. They even gave me a nudge when I was slacking and got me to keep going. Shout out to Xiao! The only thing they don't offer is job support. But I guess you can't have everything, especially at such an affordable price.

• Alejandro Cash • Graduate

The Full-stack program is great for a beginner. I learned how to create responsive websites and API backends. Now I have the knowledge to work on my own website.

• Lilia Chang • Graduate

I have always been curious about coding. So I decided to try and learn it while I had the spare time from work. I started out learning on free platforms. It was ok, I learned some basics. But I needed more depth and structure. Altcademy's program covered the fundamentals in details I have never seen. It was a completely different learning exeperience from before. But the best thing about this program is the feedback I got from the mentors, the fact that I can get help from an experienced mentor was really worth it.

• Best mentors
      - 8/21/2018
      Collan Krause • Student

The best thing about this course is the mentorship. Honestly, learning how to code was hard for me. But the support from the mentors got me through to the end. Couldn't have done it without them.

• Yomade Baki • Graduate

excellent , brief , sweet and understanding lectures and notes i would advice everyone not to miss out ...great assignments too to help you more ..kudos to you guys

• Nicole Zhang • Student

I really appreciate how logically the course materials are structured, and it saved me so much time undertanding the hirearchy of each programming language. The course offers a lot of exercise, instead of remembering the commands mechanically, I can literally learn by doing. The clone projects were very helpful to train my independency, that being said, whenever I need help, Xiao has been very quick to respond. The freedom of the course also leaves me time and room to explore related subjects and further my skills, being more of an independent learner, this is the perfect rhythm for me. I think I can finish enough projects by the end of the course, to complete my portfolio.

I really look forward to complete this project and become a good full-stack developer.

• McKenna Lewis • Student

Previous to Altcademy, I had never coded before, and was timid to approach this subject which I thought to be extrememly difficult. However, after statring the Full- Stack Developement course on Altcademy, I was able to expand my knowledge about coding, and become confident in my programming skills. The course is difficult, but the mentors are phenomnal in answering questions, and making the concepts more understandable. I have enjoyed this course so much, and especially that you can work as slow or fast as desired, based on your own schedule and skill level. It has been a great course, and I am pleased with my knowledge so far and can't wait to contiue to learn more!

• David D • Voice Engineer I • Student

This course is deffinately student oriented but what I love the most about it is that it gets you ready for real world scenarios. One of the ways it gets you ready for real world scenarios is by giving you tips on what ish the most efficient way to code and the most common practices, then you have exercises to apply your new knowledge. Other ways that it prepares you for real world scenarios is by showing you code, explaining each part of the code in simple, logical terms. Then by showing you the proper and bad ways to code it prevents you from making alot of the first time coder's mistake. I think anyone from any level can pick up their courses and become a professional Programmer.

• Awesome Program!
      - 3/24/2017
      Jacob Pang • Student

First off, I have to say this program isn't easy. The added fact that it is online only makes it quite daunting  but have no fear Altcademy makes the course both easy to approach, learn and then allow you to apply your skills at the various challenges and projects. By the end of the program you should have a good understanding of CSS, HTML, Javascript.

A big part on why Altcademy worked for me is their instructors. Both instructors, Xiao and Harry were very generous with their time and make it easy for me to reach out to them. Between the chatgroup, email, 1 on 1 office hours. You can learn on your own pace and also be able to reach out to them at any time. Posting your problem to them at the chatgroup will usually yield some answers, URL links to where you should follow up.

In some ways the online only aspect allowed a right balance of letting me struggle, figure out my "syntax" errors  and then understand how I can correct them.  I remember 1 particular moment when I was doing a particular assignment and was having some problems understanding where I went wrong. During the 1 on 1 office hour,  Xiao  was very patient with me and went above and beyond to make me understand where I was going wrong.  After finishing up, I realized we have gone for about 2.5 hours on that 1 issue I had!

I am thankful that I had the opportunity to learn through Altcademy and can't say enough good things about their program and offerings. In fact I so enjoyed myself that I will be taking their Back-end Development course in May 2017.

• Nadim Rai • Student

I am taking Front-end Web Development Online right now(almost completing ) and it has been a very rewarding  experience. Harry and Xiao  are very  knowledgeable and dedicated mentors. Hack Pacific has its own Q&A platform and Slack channel where I am able to post any questions I have or whenever I get stuck at any problems. Mentors are very quick to reply too so that you do not feel lost which can impede your progress which is often the case with other online courses. In addition to that there is video conferencing twice every week which  gives me opportunity and ample time to discuss and interact with mentors and check on my progress. Their feedbacks on my assignment has been very helpful. It has been such a great learning experience that I have signed up for their Backend  web development online course as well.
      I absolutely recommend this course for anyone wanting to learn front end web development.