altcademy-logo

Altcademy

Hong Kong, Online

Altcademy

Altcademy (formerly Hack Pacific) is an education institute offering intensive online programming courses. Courses cover back and front end technologies including JavaScript, HTML, CSS, Node.js, React, React Native and Ruby on Rails. The school was founded to meet the huge demand for programmers in the Asia startup community. It is aimed at beginners with no experience, and has a selection of online courses that help students become software developers. Students can choose between an Immersive Path that includes all curriculum materials, online chat, and a Q&A database, or a Personalized Career Path, that includes additional 1-1 mentorship, career guidance, interview prep, and more.

The program has no pre-requisites and is designed for beginners to learn from scratch. Students can enroll and start the course at any time.

Career Path students receive resume guidance, networking tips, and technical interview preparation. Altcademy works with partners in Silicon Valley to keep up-to-date with the latest technology trends. The quality of graduates is the only measure of success. Altcademy aims to go the extra mile to ensure students get the best out of their programs.

Recent Altcademy Reviews: Rating 4.98

all (51) reviews for Altcademy →

Recent Altcademy News

• Back-end Web Development

Rails, Ruby
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      Learn Ruby and Ruby on Rails and build multiple back-end API applications in 16 weeks. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo Prerequisites
    • Coding 101

In PersonPart Time1 Hours/week
      This 5-day free course is designed for beginners. This is for someone who knows nothing about coding. This course is non-technical. You don’t need to know anything about programming. By the end of Day 5, you will learn enough to feel comfortable with coding.
    • Front-end Web Development

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Front End
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      In 20 weeks, you will learn HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, jQuery, Git and build multiple front-end projects. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours of work on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo prerequisites required.
    • Full-stack Web Development

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Front End, Ruby, SQL
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      Learn Full-stack Web Development in 36 weeks. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo Prerequisites
    • Charlie Wong • QA Engineer • Student

If you are looking for a good web development program with support, and finding a job is not your priority, then this is the right program for you. As it won't cost you an arm and a leg, but still provides an education that is robust, practical, and comparable to other popular platforms.

• Marissa Benton • Software QA • Student

I compared the curriculum of this program to other popular schools and this curriculum covers most of the common topics in web development. The content is easy to read and the exercises are just challenging enough to push my limits without being overwhelming.

My mentor is friendly, knowledgeable, and encouraging. I got very indepth feedback on all my coding projects from my mentor. All in all, I am happy with the program.

• Varun • Designer • Student

I have done some programming courses on other platforms before Altcademy. But I wasn't able to learn comprehensively because there were just too many choices, and choices are bad for beginners. Altcademy's strict syllabus helped me focus on learning the right things in the right order. I would recommend this to anyone who needs guidance in learning web development.

• Lyla • Online Marketing • Student

I am learning to rekindle my childhood interests in computers and programming after years of working in online marketing. I am still working full time, so I can only spend nights and weekends to learn. And I prefer to learn from home, so my critera is an online program that is self paced. I spent quite some time researching different online coding schools. Most are very very expensive, in the 5k range even for a part time program. But then I found Altcademy, which offers pretty much the same syllabus as everyone else, and it's way more affordable. I have to say I was a little skeptical at first, but after I finished the first course, I knew I made the right choice. I have one warning though, their content is like 95% text, so it's not the regular video course like everyone else. You need to be sure you can learn from text before you sign up with them.

• David Lee • Student

I come from a non science background so learning how to code has been pretty hard. The algorithm exercises are really painful, I spent twice the time than the average student to complete the JavaScript part of the course. And I wouldn't have done it without the help of my mentor. If you don't have a science background like me, definitely try a few free coding courses before joining any paid programs. So you know if it is something you want to pursue. And make sure you join a program that has mentor support.

• Danica Blackmore • Student

I chose Altcademy because it's online, self paced, and at a price point that I can afford. With a full time job and kids, I can only spend about 5 to 10 hours a week learning, but still I feel that I am making enough progress and I don't have to backtrack too much. My mentor is very responsive and helpful, and is happy to answer things beyond the curriculum. This has been a very fruitful experience so far.

• Coding for fun
      - 11/12/2019
      Darmini • Student

Pros: This course is very enjoyable. The curriculum has both breadth and depth, lots of exercises and real world assignments. At the price they are offering, it's a steal.

Cons: The community is not as active as I would like. But the mentors are fast in their responses when I needed help, so I didn't have to struggle too much on my own.

• Athena • UI • Student

I am a digital graphics designer and I work with web developers a lot in my job. So learning front-end development is an obvious choice for me. I found this program to be well rounded, practical, and in depth. I am now capable of implementing my design in actual code, which is what I aimed to achieve.

• Tomas Perry • Student • Student

This course does a really good job covering the fundamentals. Apart from learning how to build websites, I also learned how to solve many common algorithm questions. I am confident that I have at least achieved the beginner level in programming and web dev. And I plan to continue to grow after this.

P.S. There is some career help where they help you with resume and interview questions, but no job referrals so I gave it a 3 star for that.

• Ruth • Self-employed • Student

There was a lot of material covered in this course. I spent on average 15 hours a week studying and managed to finish 80% in 4 months. I am nearing the end now and my mentor agreed to help me build a website for my business. I learnt a lot of practical things from this course and I am feeling more confident about building and managing an online business now.

• Michael Ryan V. Alimagno • Student

I just completed the Coding 101 course. I would say this is a good program to learn coding specially for beginners. I am amazed how the mentor is prompt in answering your question and it really is effective specially when you are stuck in a problem. I look forward to enrolling to nano major course.

• Indigo • Student

I joined to refresh my knowledge as I haven't been practicing my profession for many years. I think they did a pretty good job on explaining many of the concepts, and I majored in CS, so I don't say that lightly. Some improvements could be done on data structures though, as I can see this is can be hard for some beginners to grasp. Probably adding explainer videos with animation for certain concepts would be good. The mentors were really helpful as well when I asked them about more advanced topics that weren't covered in the curriculum. Overall, I really enjoyed the program.