The program has no pre-requisites and is designed for beginners to learn from scratch. Students can enroll and start the course at any time.
Career Path students receive resume guidance, networking tips, and technical interview preparation. Altcademy works with partners in Silicon Valley to keep up-to-date with the latest technology trends. The quality of graduates is the only measure of success. Altcademy aims to go the extra mile to ensure students get the best out of their programs.
Recent Altcademy Reviews: Rating 5.0
Recent Altcademy News
Start Date Rolling Start Date Cost $650 Class size 20 Location OnlineLearn Ruby and Ruby on Rails and build multiple back-end API applications in 16 weeks. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
Minimum Skill Level No Prerequisites Placement Test No Interview No
- In PersonPart Time1 Hours/week
Start Date Rolling Start Date Cost N/A Class size N/A Location OnlineThis 5-day free course is designed for beginners. This is for someone who knows nothing about coding. This course is non-technical. You don’t need to know anything about programming. By the end of Day 5, you will learn enough to feel comfortable with coding.
Minimum Skill Level No prerequisites required. Placement Test No Interview No Start Date Rolling Start Date Cost $950 Class size 20 Location OnlineLearn Full-stack Web Development in 36 weeks. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
Minimum Skill Level No Prerequisites Placement Test No Interview No
48 reviews sorted by:
- Only Applicants, Students, and Graduates are permitted to leave reviews on Course Report.
- Post clear, valuable, and honest information that will be useful and informative to future coding bootcampers. Think about what your bootcamp excelled at and what might have been better.
- Be nice to others; don't attack others.
- Use good grammar and check your spelling.
- Don't post reviews on behalf of other students or impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Don't spam or post fake reviews intended to boost or lower ratings.
- Don't post or link to content that is sexually explicit.
- Don't post or link to content that is abusive or hateful or threatens or harasses others.
- Please do not submit duplicate or multiple reviews. These will be deleted. Email moderators to revise a review or click the link in the email you receive when submitting a review.
- Please note that we reserve the right to review and remove commentary that violates our policies.
Click here to log in or sign up and continue.
- Standard program with good support- 9/5/2018Lavinia • Graduate • Course: Full-stack Web Development • Campus: Online
First of all, the program doesn't promise any jobs at the end, or offer any job support. But the program did help me gain a solid foundation in full-stack development. I continued to work on my capstone project after finishing the program to improve my skills and managed to find an internship at a startup.
I would say for the money they charged, which is a huge discount compared to other similar bootcamps, they delivered an excellent experience. If you are looking to get hired immediately, you have to work a bit more after the program to prepare for interviews and polish your skills. You also need to research on the local job market on your own.
In total, I spent about a year from starting to learn how to code to getting my first job. It's a long process that not everyone should venture into. I give this program a 5 star because I got what I was looking for, which is good curriculum and support to help me build a out my full stack skill base.
- Good for beginners- 9/4/2018Leonard • Graduate • Course: Front-end Web Development • Campus: Online
- Professional and worthwhile- 9/3/2018Lilly Harrison • Student • Course: Full-stack Web Development • Campus: Online
The decision on choosing a professional paid program with mentorship vs learning on my own using free materials wasn't an easy one to make. But I am glad I went with Altcademy. There are just so many kinks and blocks when it comes to learning how to code. And the benefits of having a pro to ask for help when you need it is completely worth the money.
- Tough exercises and assignments- 9/1/2018Artur • Graduate • Campus: Online
- Great program- 9/1/2018Tommy Lam • Graduate • Course: Front-end Web Development • Campus: Online
- Great mentors and solid curriculum- 8/30/2018Aubree Park • Student • Course: Front-end Web Development • Campus: Online
- As good as a full time program- 8/30/2018Camille • Graduate • Course: Full-stack Web Development • Campus: Online
I took this course thinking it would be a great prep course before joining a full time bootcamp. But, now that I have finished, I think I might not need to go to a full time bootcamp anymore. This course covered almost all the materials that is in the bootcamp I was planning to go for. And the level of detail was just astonishing. I am now working on my capstone project, and I plan to apply for some junior level jobs soon.
- Challenging yet enjoyable- 8/28/2018Bonnie • Graduate • Course: Full-stack Web Development • Campus: Online
- Learning to learn- 8/28/2018Elia Z • Graduate • Course: Full-stack Web Development • Campus: Online
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". This is how I would summarize my experience with Altcademy. I am very grateful for the patience and heart the instructors demonstrated in mentoring me. They taught me the most important thing, which is learning how to learn.
- API with Ruby on Rails- 8/27/2018Christina B • Graduate • Course: Back-end Web Development • Campus: Online
- An alternative career- 8/27/2018Michele J • Student • Course: Back-end Web Development • Campus: Online
I am learning to break from a 9 to 5 job so I can work at home and spend more time with my children. And I didn't want to quit my job before learning enough to get a freelance job. That's why I chose this course, it is online and flexible, and the mentorship was what sold me.
- Great value for money- 8/24/2018Jack K • Graduate • Course: Full-stack Web Development • Campus: Online
I tried to learn programming on my own for a couple of years but I never managed to get very far. Looking back, it was probably due to the lack of a structured curriculum and motivation to carry on. Altcademy's nanomajor program was very well planned out. It covers all the nitty gritty details and had plenty of examples and alternative explanations for harder concepts. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with them. The mentors were extremely responsive and accommodating when I asked them for help. They even gave me a nudge when I was slacking and got me to keep going. Shout out to Xiao! The only thing they don't offer is job support. But I guess you can't have everything, especially at such an affordable price.
- Good Fullstack Course- 8/23/2018Alejandro Cash • Graduate • Course: Full-stack Web Development • Campus: Online
- Useful feedback from experienced mentors- 8/23/2018Lilia Chang • Graduate • Course: Front-end Web Development • Campus: Online
I have always been curious about coding. So I decided to try and learn it while I had the spare time from work. I started out learning on free platforms. It was ok, I learned some basics. But I needed more depth and structure. Altcademy's program covered the fundamentals in details I have never seen. It was a completely different learning exeperience from before. But the best thing about this program is the feedback I got from the mentors, the fact that I can get help from an experienced mentor was really worth it.
- Best mentors- 8/21/2018Collan Krause • Student • Course: Front-end Web Development • Campus: Online
- GREAT AND UNDERSTANDING EXPERIENCE ALTCADEMY- 8/13/2018Yomade Baki • Graduate • Course: Coding 101 • Campus: Online
- Very logical and clear contents- 9/8/2017Nicole Zhang • Student • Course: Full-stack Web Development • Campus: Online
I really appreciate how logically the course materials are structured, and it saved me so much time undertanding the hirearchy of each programming language. The course offers a lot of exercise, instead of remembering the commands mechanically, I can literally learn by doing. The clone projects were very helpful to train my independency, that being said, whenever I need help, Xiao has been very quick to respond. The freedom of the course also leaves me time and room to explore related subjects and further my skills, being more of an independent learner, this is the perfect rhythm for me. I think I can finish enough projects by the end of the course, to complete my portfolio.
I really look forward to complete this project and become a good full-stack developer.
- Amazing experience for new programmers- 9/6/2017McKenna Lewis • Student • Course: Full-stack Web Development • Campus: Online
Previous to Altcademy, I had never coded before, and was timid to approach this subject which I thought to be extrememly difficult. However, after statring the Full- Stack Developement course on Altcademy, I was able to expand my knowledge about coding, and become confident in my programming skills. The course is difficult, but the mentors are phenomnal in answering questions, and making the concepts more understandable. I have enjoyed this course so much, and especially that you can work as slow or fast as desired, based on your own schedule and skill level. It has been a great course, and I am pleased with my knowledge so far and can't wait to contiue to learn more!
- Professional Development- 6/20/2017David D • Voice Engineer I • Student • Course: WebDesignium - HTML CSS Development • Campus: Online
This course is deffinately student oriented but what I love the most about it is that it gets you ready for real world scenarios. One of the ways it gets you ready for real world scenarios is by giving you tips on what ish the most efficient way to code and the most common practices, then you have exercises to apply your new knowledge. Other ways that it prepares you for real world scenarios is by showing you code, explaining each part of the code in simple, logical terms. Then by showing you the proper and bad ways to code it prevents you from making alot of the first time coder's mistake. I think anyone from any level can pick up their courses and become a professional Programmer.
- Awesome Program!- 3/24/2017Jacob Pang • Student • Course: Front-end Web Development • Campus: Online
A big part on why Altcademy worked for me is their instructors. Both instructors, Xiao and Harry were very generous with their time and make it easy for me to reach out to them. Between the chatgroup, email, 1 on 1 office hours. You can learn on your own pace and also be able to reach out to them at any time. Posting your problem to them at the chatgroup will usually yield some answers, URL links to where you should follow up.
In some ways the online only aspect allowed a right balance of letting me struggle, figure out my "syntax" errors and then understand how I can correct them. I remember 1 particular moment when I was doing a particular assignment and was having some problems understanding where I went wrong. During the 1 on 1 office hour, Xiao was very patient with me and went above and beyond to make me understand where I was going wrong. After finishing up, I realized we have gone for about 2.5 hours on that 1 issue I had!
I am thankful that I had the opportunity to learn through Altcademy and can't say enough good things about their program and offerings. In fact I so enjoyed myself that I will be taking their Back-end Development course in May 2017.
- Great Learning Experience- 1/5/2017Nadim Rai • Student • Course: Frontendium Front-end Web Development Online • Campus: Hong Kong
I am taking Front-end Web Development Online right now(almost completing ) and it has been a very rewarding experience. Harry and Xiao are very knowledgeable and dedicated mentors. Hack Pacific has its own Q&A platform and Slack channel where I am able to post any questions I have or whenever I get stuck at any problems. Mentors are very quick to reply too so that you do not feel lost which can impede your progress which is often the case with other online courses. In addition to that there is video conferencing twice every week which gives me opportunity and ample time to discuss and interact with mentors and check on my progress. Their feedbacks on my assignment has been very helpful. It has been such a great learning experience that I have signed up for their Backend web development online course as well.
I absolutely recommend this course for anyone wanting to learn front end web development.
- Coding is not easy- 2/10/2020Anonymous • Student • Course: Full-stack Web Development • Campus: OnlineCoding isn't easy to learn and I can tell they tried their best to make the process less daunting. The mentoring is what keeps me going. Without my mentor's help, I probably would have given up in the first month.
The learning platform is easy to use. It has a calendar schedule to help you keep pace. There is progress tracking and email updates. The questions bank has a lot of resources and is my first goto place when I run into issues.
This is actually my third attempt trying to learn coding. I enrolled in two other online schools before. The first time I gave up because I was lazy and not motivated enough. The second time I was not absorbing the content well, it was a video based curriculum, so I dropped out after two weeks. This time I feel like I will be able to get through as everything seems to be falling in place. I find that I can retain a lot more information with text based content and my mentor's support makes a huge difference.
P.S. I didn't sign up for the personalized option that comes with office hours. So far I feel getting help from chat and the Q&A portal is enough for my needs.