altcademy-logo

Altcademy

Hong Kong, Online

Altcademy

Altcademy (formerly Hack Pacific) is an education institute offering intensive online programming courses. Courses cover back and front end technologies including JavaScript, HTML, CSS, Node.js, React, React Native and Ruby on Rails. The school was founded to meet the huge demand for programmers in the Asia startup community. It is aimed at beginners with no experience, and has a selection of online courses that help students become software developers. Students can choose between an Immersive Path that includes all curriculum materials, online chat, and a Q&A database, or a Personalized Career Path, that includes additional 1-1 mentorship, career guidance, interview prep, and more.

The program has no pre-requisites and is designed for beginners to learn from scratch. Students can enroll and start the course at any time.

Career Path students receive resume guidance, networking tips, and technical interview preparation. Altcademy works with partners in Silicon Valley to keep up-to-date with the latest technology trends. The quality of graduates is the only measure of success. Altcademy aims to go the extra mile to ensure students get the best out of their programs.

Recent Altcademy Reviews: Rating 4.99

all (73) reviews for Altcademy →

Recent Altcademy News

• Back-end Web Development

Rails, Ruby
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      Learn Ruby and Ruby on Rails and build multiple back-end API applications in 16 weeks. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo Prerequisites
    • Coding 101

In PersonPart Time1 Hours/week
      This 5-day free course is designed for beginners. This is for someone who knows nothing about coding. This course is non-technical. You don’t need to know anything about programming. By the end of Day 5, you will learn enough to feel comfortable with coding.
    • Front-end Web Development

CSS, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, Git, jQuery
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      In 20 weeks, you will learn HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, jQuery, Git and build multiple front-end projects. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours of work on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo prerequisites required.
    • Full-stack Web Development

CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Rails, Ruby, SQL
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      Learn Full-stack Web Development in 36 weeks. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo Prerequisites
    • Tyler Russell  User Photo
      Tyler Russell • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
      I have been learning to code for a while before I joined Altcademy, my criteria for selecting a program is online, flexible schedule, mentorship, affordability. If you tried to learn to code before, you know there isn't a lack of free or extremely cheap material. But what you get for free, will usually lack structure, quality, and mentorship. Altcademy hits all the right spots, at a reasonable price point. The curriculum is text based, easy to follow, and code along. There are hundreds of exercises to practice on their platform. Projects are marked by experienced mentors and useful feedbacks is given. There is a slack channel and a q&a platform to get help from. Other students are friendly, and conversations, though sparse, are usually about coding and course content. This has been a wonderful experience, and I would like to specifically thank my mentors David and Harry for their patience and guidance.
    • Arthur LACHAT  User Photo
      Arthur LACHAT • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      My path : Full stack Web Development option Immersive Path ( without career guidance and portfolio building)
      My Background: Used C++ at uni, Python(Flask). Math major uni. Love tech and things related to the web.

My Experience :

- Price : Affordable, while working i could've go for a more expensive bootcamp I decided that since you can learn everything that bootcamp offer for free a cheaper price would be better. it's either cheap or free, except for the alumni network  expensive bootcamp aren't worth your money in terms of curriculum. You can pay monthly and have 2 different option a cheaper one without the career guidance. If you're not sure about how to land the job and build your portfolio I recommend you to take the personalized path. Altcademy mix a good pricing and an overall very good program so why spending more when you can have it for cheaper.

- Curriculum:
      Full stack Web Development is composed of different modules from html,CSS, Vanilla JS, JQuery, React, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Full stack Rails + React.

Plenty of exercises and assignments to do. Nothing fancy but it's solid and well written with clear explanations. The curriculum is overall well updated but Hooks are missing for the React part. You'll learn to build stuff from scratch and it's very rewarding. The big advantages of a curriculum is that you simply have to follow it without thinking what to learn next.

Each topics are brought in a very gentle manners till you have enough knowledge to understand what you are doing. I found great that you spent some time with vanilla JS and JQuery before to jump directly to React.
      The assignments are all very cool to do and bring you definitely some knowledge and new skills.
      Even I'm not a fan of Ruby the advantage to learn Rails is that you'll grasp how the MVC pattern works so you can jump to another framework without much difficulties.

- Mentors/Social:
      Since I picked the option without the mentoring face to face I had less interactions with the mentors. Both are knowledgeable, kind and will help you during your studies and assignments. Altcademy use Slack with different channels depending the topic. It's not very active and there isn't many exchange between students but it's mostly due to the students who aren't talkative.
      Mentors are reactive and will always reply in a short amount of time. Since it's online you'll be alone at home but they can motivate you. The hardest part for some peoples is the feeling to feel lonely when doing remote programs but you'll always get their help very fast and with good explanations.

- Job Support:  Since I don't have the option for that I can't review it but you'll be in good hands for sure !

- Interface/UI: Simple, clean. Very easy to navigate in your program. That's the job of an UI, I like it a lot!

Overview: An affordable bootcamp with flexible learning(remote), a solid curriculum, good mentors. If you decide to go through a bootcamp you won't be mistaken. Before to choose Altcademy I was in another bootcamp which I left, so I can confidently say that Altcademy is a good investment.

• Mind opening
      - 3/4/2020
      Olivia Hillis  User Photo
      Olivia Hillis • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      Coding 101 made me finally realize that coding is not this scary monster I always thought it was. Coding is learnable and actually super exciting to be learned! The lessons are fun and well explained. It was the push I needed to have the courage to take a full coding course. 100% recommend!
    • codinng 101
      - 1/8/2018
      coinmaster4you  User Photo
      coinmaster4you • Student Verified via GitHub

Gave me great insight in coding. I had some html knowledge beforehand, but it was still very eye opening course on how you attack problems with as a coder or programer

• Michelle S Lee  User Photo
      Michelle S Lee • Student Verified via GitHub

The best thing about this program is how committed and helpful the mentors are! Students are given personal attention and contsantly provided with critical personal feedback on their work. The 1 to 1 mentor and student set up also allows for the curriculum to be wondefully flexible under the recommendation of the mentors and needs of the student. I've struggled to learn programming myself through other online courses and this mentorship really makes a world of a difference.

The curriculum itself is also well structured and makes use of the best freely available online resources. It also is more relevant and applicable than other courses I have taken before on programming.

• Katherine • Graduate
      I took the Front-end program because I wanted to add features and manage my family business's website. My experiences with learning to code were all from other online video based courses. It took some adjustment, following the text based curriculum on Altcademy. Once I got used to it, progress is much faster than learning from videos. It took me six months to finish the program, since life got in the way a few times. My mentor was very knowledgeable and assisted me through each step. I highly recommend this to complete beginners.
    • Tammy • Graduate
      The program is professionally delivered and I am very thankful they are offering it at such an affordable price. I learned the skills needed to build standard CRUD full-stack websites, using react for frontend, and ruby on rails for the backend. There is a slack channel where I can meet other students and get help from mentors. I chose the personalized plan and was able to have live 1 on 1 sessions with my mentor. Towards the end of the program, I worked on a decently in-depth project with an idea of my own. There are dozens of other smaller projects that I built along the way. I use those projects as part of my portfolio and resume for job applications. I also learned some algorithms and data structure concepts at the end of the program, plus practiced on interview questions. They also helped me polish my resume and linkedin profile. There is a lot of content to get through, don't plan on starting unless you can dedicate at least 10-20 hours a week studying.
    • Saul • Student
      The Fullstack course is a great way to get started with web development. It has a very comprehensive curriculum, along with a series of exercises that will help you understand and learn how to apply the concepts. You start by learning html, css, js, react, then ruby and rails, and finally they will teach you how to combine everything to build full stack applications. The course is designed for beginners, but it is also suitable for people with prior knowledge. I had taken a few online courses before and I found this course to be more in depth. If you are learning full-time, you can finish the whole course in 4-5 months, then you will be able to start working on your own projects, or apply to jobs.
    • Anna • Graduate
      Great program that covers the majority of topics in web development. The curriculum is clear and well structured, and there are a lot of hands-on assignments and projects. The instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful. I have learned a lot and feel very confident that I have a good grasp of the material. I have also been able to use the new skills in my job. I am very happy with the program and I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to learn web development.
    • Start a new career
      - 5/10/2021
      Isabel • Graduate
      Overall the program is very good, well worth the price. It is divided into 5 portions, frontend, backend, fullstack, portfolio building, and computer science fundamentals. There is also a career course to help you prepare for job applications and interviews. The transition from one course to another is very smooth. Concepts are well explained with examples and analogies. If you need help, you can contact a mentor. They are very good at finding out where you are stuck, and are very patient. To succeed, you are expected to put in a lot of work, somewhere between 40-50 hours a week if you can study full time. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to learn web development. It is a great way to get into the field of web development and get a job. I am currently working as a junior frontend developer after completing the program.
    • Surafel • Graduate
      This course helped me have a good understanding on the software development. The curriculum is designed to give you the best learning experience. Organization of the course are Great! Assignments and labs are to really make sure we fully understood the information.
    • Holly • Student
      Initially the exceptionally low price compared to other online schools made me hesitant as I thought it's too good to be true. But after reading many reviews, going through their website thoroughly and completing their free coding 101 course gave me enough confidence to sign up. The coding 101 course lets you see their learning platform and their content style, you should do it if you are considering. For the program, you will be studying on your own, but your homework is marked by an instructor and there is a slack channel where you can ask questions. The mentors respond fairly quickly and professionaly. The content is almost all text and images. Occasionally there are videos for harder topics, which is a nice change. The strength of this program lies in the exercises and projects. I learned the most from completing projects. They start with cloning just the frontend of famous sites. Then move on to building various frontend apps with JavaScript, jquery, and react. Then api backends with rails, and finally fullstack projects including an airbnb clone. Projects are very hard and I had to refer back to the curriculum often. But I learned a lot. I am now working on my portfolio project and after this I will go through their career course and start looking for a job. This journey has been nearly 8 months and I woudn't have believed that I could have learned so much if someone told me then. I am very grateful for my mentors who are so kind and helpful, they kept me going. This is a hidden gem, people who took it will certainly agree.