altcademy-logo

Altcademy

Hong Kong, Online

Altcademy

Altcademy (formerly Hack Pacific) is an education institute offering intensive online programming courses. Courses cover back and front end technologies including JavaScript, HTML, CSS, Node.js, React, React Native and Ruby on Rails. The school was founded to meet the huge demand for programmers in the Asia startup community. It is aimed at beginners with no experience, and has a selection of online courses that help students become software developers. Students can choose between an Immersive Path that includes all curriculum materials, online chat, and a Q&A database, or a Personalized Career Path, that includes additional 1-1 mentorship, career guidance, interview prep, and more.

The program has no pre-requisites and is designed for beginners to learn from scratch. Students can enroll and start the course at any time.

Career Path students receive resume guidance, networking tips, and technical interview preparation. Altcademy works with partners in Silicon Valley to keep up-to-date with the latest technology trends. The quality of graduates is the only measure of success. Altcademy aims to go the extra mile to ensure students get the best out of their programs.

Recent Altcademy Reviews: Rating 4.99

all (85) reviews for Altcademy →

Recent Altcademy News

• Back-end Web Development

Rails, Ruby
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      Learn Ruby and Ruby on Rails and build multiple back-end API applications in 16 weeks. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo Prerequisites
    • Coding 101

In PersonPart Time1 Hours/week
      This 5-day free course is designed for beginners. This is for someone who knows nothing about coding. This course is non-technical. You don’t need to know anything about programming. By the end of Day 5, you will learn enough to feel comfortable with coding.
    • Front-end Web Development

CSS, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, Git, jQuery
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      In 20 weeks, you will learn HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, jQuery, Git and build multiple front-end projects. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours of work on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo prerequisites required.
    • Full-stack Web Development

CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Rails, Ruby, SQL
      In PersonPart Time10 Hours/week
      Learn Full-stack Web Development in 36 weeks. You will meet via live video chat weekly with your Coach in sessions called Office Hours. During Office Hours, your Coach will check on your progress and answer any question you may have. In addition, there are private chat rooms where you can talk to your classmates and your Coach. The curriculum is scheduled for 1 hour of work on Monday to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday. The course is conducted completely online.
      Minimum Skill LevelNo Prerequisites
    • Tyler Russell  User Photo
      Tyler Russell • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
      I have been learning to code for a while before I joined Altcademy, my criteria for selecting a program is online, flexible schedule, mentorship, affordability. If you tried to learn to code before, you know there isn't a lack of free or extremely cheap material. But what you get for free, will usually lack structure, quality, and mentorship. Altcademy hits all the right spots, at a reasonable price point. The curriculum is text based, easy to follow, and code along. There are hundreds of exercises to practice on their platform. Projects are marked by experienced mentors and useful feedbacks is given. There is a slack channel and a q&a platform to get help from. Other students are friendly, and conversations, though sparse, are usually about coding and course content. This has been a wonderful experience, and I would like to specifically thank my mentors David and Harry for their patience and guidance.
    • Arthur LACHAT  User Photo
      Arthur LACHAT • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      My path : Full stack Web Development option Immersive Path ( without career guidance and portfolio building)
      My Background: Used C++ at uni, Python(Flask). Math major uni. Love tech and things related to the web.

My Experience :

- Price : Affordable, while working i could've go for a more expensive bootcamp I decided that since you can learn everything that bootcamp offer for free a cheaper price would be better. it's either cheap or free, except for the alumni network  expensive bootcamp aren't worth your money in terms of curriculum. You can pay monthly and have 2 different option a cheaper one without the career guidance. If you're not sure about how to land the job and build your portfolio I recommend you to take the personalized path. Altcademy mix a good pricing and an overall very good program so why spending more when you can have it for cheaper.

- Curriculum:
      Full stack Web Development is composed of different modules from html,CSS, Vanilla JS, JQuery, React, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Full stack Rails + React.

Plenty of exercises and assignments to do. Nothing fancy but it's solid and well written with clear explanations. The curriculum is overall well updated but Hooks are missing for the React part. You'll learn to build stuff from scratch and it's very rewarding. The big advantages of a curriculum is that you simply have to follow it without thinking what to learn next.

Each topics are brought in a very gentle manners till you have enough knowledge to understand what you are doing. I found great that you spent some time with vanilla JS and JQuery before to jump directly to React.
      The assignments are all very cool to do and bring you definitely some knowledge and new skills.
      Even I'm not a fan of Ruby the advantage to learn Rails is that you'll grasp how the MVC pattern works so you can jump to another framework without much difficulties.

- Mentors/Social:
      Since I picked the option without the mentoring face to face I had less interactions with the mentors. Both are knowledgeable, kind and will help you during your studies and assignments. Altcademy use Slack with different channels depending the topic. It's not very active and there isn't many exchange between students but it's mostly due to the students who aren't talkative.
      Mentors are reactive and will always reply in a short amount of time. Since it's online you'll be alone at home but they can motivate you. The hardest part for some peoples is the feeling to feel lonely when doing remote programs but you'll always get their help very fast and with good explanations.

- Job Support:  Since I don't have the option for that I can't review it but you'll be in good hands for sure !

- Interface/UI: Simple, clean. Very easy to navigate in your program. That's the job of an UI, I like it a lot!

Overview: An affordable bootcamp with flexible learning(remote), a solid curriculum, good mentors. If you decide to go through a bootcamp you won't be mistaken. Before to choose Altcademy I was in another bootcamp which I left, so I can confidently say that Altcademy is a good investment.

• Mind opening
      - 3/4/2020
      Olivia Hillis  User Photo
      Olivia Hillis • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      Coding 101 made me finally realize that coding is not this scary monster I always thought it was. Coding is learnable and actually super exciting to be learned! The lessons are fun and well explained. It was the push I needed to have the courage to take a full coding course. 100% recommend!
    • codinng 101
      - 1/8/2018
      coinmaster4you  User Photo
      coinmaster4you • Student Verified via GitHub

Gave me great insight in coding. I had some html knowledge beforehand, but it was still very eye opening course on how you attack problems with as a coder or programer

• Michelle S Lee  User Photo
      Michelle S Lee • Student Verified via GitHub

The best thing about this program is how committed and helpful the mentors are! Students are given personal attention and contsantly provided with critical personal feedback on their work. The 1 to 1 mentor and student set up also allows for the curriculum to be wondefully flexible under the recommendation of the mentors and needs of the student. I've struggled to learn programming myself through other online courses and this mentorship really makes a world of a difference.

The curriculum itself is also well structured and makes use of the best freely available online resources. It also is more relevant and applicable than other courses I have taken before on programming.

• Jorge • Student
      Before joining Altcademy, I read many reviews and compared their pricing with other similar programs. It turns out they were actually the most affordable. Then I compared their curriculum and support with other programs, the material coverage is very similar to the well known bootcamps. Altcademy provides less face time, but after contacting a couple alumni on linkedin, they said the included office hours were enough to last through the whole duration. Altcademy seems to be a middle ground between the more expensive bootcamps and the cheaper self-learning courses. I have now gone through 2 out of 7 courses of the program. The curriculum is beginner level and very well written. It has both auto graded assignments and more in-depth mentor graded assignments. Feedback from my mentor have been very helpful. I am really enjoying my time here.
    • Mark • Student
      My decision to pursue a coding bootcamp is influenced by a desire to improve my job prospects. I am working and don't want to quit my job to join a fulltime bootcamp. So I chose an online part time bootcamp to learn at my own pace and continue working. I am happy with this decision, I am now studying 15-18hrs a week, about 2 hours on work days, and 3-5 hours on days I don't work. I just finished the first course on HTML and CSS and I am happy with the experience so far.
    • Casey • Student
      I chose Altcademy for the price and the support. After studying part-time for 7 months, I am about 80% through the curriculum. It is really an amazing experience and I really recommend it to anyone who wants to learn web development but does not have the luxury to pay 10k or sign an ISA. My mentor is responsive, helpful and smart. The content is good, complete, and detailed. The exercises are fun and challenging. I am now working on the rails course and learning to build APIs. There is so much more to learn, but I now know what it would take and I know I can do it.
    • great experience!
      - 12/31/2021
      Wesley • Student
      I am currently taking the fullstack program, and it is very challenging yet satisfying. I was impressed with the curriculum and can confidently say that they have one of the best content out there. The mentors are very responsive and helpful, which I really appreciate. Great experience!
    • Chris • Student
      I chose this course because I had a budget I had to adhere to. I really like that there are so many learning tools available for such an affordable price. There is an AI code debugger which is super helpful, a coding exercise platform, a Q&A platform with lots of questions from other students. The material is very beginner friendly, and I learned a lot of practical knowledge. There were a lot of exercises and assignments that really increased my understanding of the topics taught. If you are committed and put in the work you will learn a lot of useful web development skills.

Pros: very affordable, beginner friendly, lots of exercises and assignments, online and remote, self-paced learning.
    • Overall great
      - 12/28/2021
      Miguel • Student
      Before joining Altcademy, I had taken some online courses on JavaScript, HTML and CSS. It was a struggle going through most of them, and I lacked motivation at some point. So I thought it's time to buckle down and learn how to code. I also thought it's good to have some mentorship to keep me on track. My research led me to Altcademy. Overall, the program is great. I really like the way it is taught, and a flexible schedule is essential for me, so I can go at my own pace.