turing-logo

Turing

Turing

Turing School of Software & Design is a 7-month, full-time training program in Denver, CO turning driven students into professional developers. Students who take their Back End Engineering Program or their front End Engineering Program will be surrounded by a supportive team dedicated to their career success. Turing's mission is to unlock human potential by training a diverse, inclusive student body to succeed in high-fulfillment technical careers, while Turing's vision is a world powered by technology where the people building it represent the people using it. Turing is the brainchild of Jeff Casimir and Jumpstart Labs (you might recognize these names from Hungry Academy and gSchool, among other achievements). The staff at Turing emphasizes their educational experience, not just their years as developers, and promises that successful graduates of the school will be valuable contributors to the company they choose to work for through community-driven education. The application process is rolling and requires a resume, writing sample, video response, and logic challenge. Students in the Turing program will learn TDD with Ruby, Ruby Web Applications with Sinatra & Rails, Professional Web Applications, and High-Performance Applications with APIs and Services. In addition, Turing now accepts the GI Bill and offers M-1 visa assistance.

Recent Turing Reviews: Rating 4.79

all (148) reviews for Turing →

Recent Turing News

Read all (56) articles about Turing →
  • Back-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Ruby
    Rolling Start Date
    Denver
    Moving from the basics of object-oriented programming and software execution to building database-backed web applications in Sinatra and Rails, our Back-End Engineering program provides the fundamental skills to launch your career in programming.
    Skills Fund (Cost of Living Financing Available)Climb (Cost of Living Financing Available)Earnest
    Alternative Financing available for students who are not approved by our lending partners.
    $4,000 Diversity Scholarship
    Interview
  • Front-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, User Experience Design, CSS, Express.js, Front End
    Rolling Start Date
    Denver
    Our front-end program provides the necessary skills to build a career in front-end development. From UX/UI principles to strong foundations on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, our curriculum provides the framework and tools to build effective desktop, mobile and web applications.
    $4,000 Diversity Scholarship
    Interview

• Mark Miranda • Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated from the back-end program in August 2016. I currently work as a Software Developer in Rails + Angular 2.

I chose between Turing and Galvanize and the main reasons that swayed me towards Turing were:

Jeff Casimir's reputation in the industry The non-profit status, which I didn't have a lot of concern for their mission at the time, but more that they couldn't sell my educational experience to investors to expand the program further and further. The ability to repeat modules. I was terrified to make a career change and afraid that I wouldn't be able to make it through the program on my first try and didn't want to be dragged along for 6 months not understanding anything past a certain point because I didn't understand a specific concept. (I didn't repeat any modules in case you were curious). After visiting the (old) basement (the new one is really nice too) for my interview, I was blown away by the energy that went through the space, people in every available space, extremely focused and concentrated working through projects and helping each other.

The program is constantly changing and my review is probably hideously outdated when compared to the processes / curriculum, but I love the ability for them to change when something doesn't work. The teachers have your best interest at heart and want to see you succeed and learn, even if it means calling you out when they know you're not giving your all. The community is amazing and the network of mentors is uncomparable. I graduated and it took me 87 days to receive my first offer. That might seem like a long time, but in the end not coding bootcamp can hand you a job at the end of the program. There were people in my cohort that had job offers before graduation, but they put in the work of networking and making those connections early. You graduate and show up as someone with no professional experience. Turing helps you with professional / personal development and how to approach and overcome the hurdles of entering a new industry.

I also now work in a framework we weren't taught at Turing (Angular 2), but didn't have any trouble diving in and learning. I know it sounds cliché, but you really do learn how to learn different programming patterns and aren't pigeonholed into a specific language.

Turing was great. They helped me transition from a career I disliked and become a better person along the way. I'll be in their debt forever.

• Corey S  User Photo
    Corey S • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

After following the advice of a good friend and mentor of mine, I began my Turing journey in January '19. This friend had gone to another bootcamp five years prior, and recommended Turing due to the positive experiences that he had in hiring several Turing graduates himself.

I knew that Turing would be challenging, and it certainly lived up to that expectation - in fact, I would say that it’s the most challenging thing that I have done up to this point. That being said, I also believe that it is going to be the most rewarding thing that I have done. Turing takes an iterative and agile approach to its curriculum, making changes and improvements as necessary to ensure that you are learning what you need to know as you prepare to enter the real world as a junior developer. From an outsider’s perspective, this same friend and mentor was impressed by the amount of content which was covered, and the things that we were being exposed to.

All of the instructors that I had were great - each bringing different experiences and backgrounds to the classroom. While many places may talk about culture, at Turing I experienced a strong sense of community, and a feeling that I was taking part in something special. Seven months after starting at Turing, I was fortunate enough to graduate with a signed job offer. While I feel confident that I now have the needed skills to start my career as a software developer, I think the fact that I went to Turing likely helped me in the process of securing a job - as many companies who have hired a Turing graduate have had positive experiences. Kudos to Jeff and the rest of Turing team for the great program that they have built, and many thanks to the Turing Alumni who are paving the way for graduates like me to find that first developer job.

If you are up for the challenge and ready to fully commit to a program like this - then I would absolutely recommend looking into Turing.

• Sekhar Paladugu  User Photo
    Sekhar Paladugu • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Hi, I'm Sekhar, I graduated from Turing about 3.5 years ago and enrolled back in August 2015 when Turing was pretty new. I graduated from college in 2012 with a BA in History, and spent three years working in sales and marketing in both California and Colorado. In the summer of 2015, I quit my job and decided to go to Turing to become a software engineer. Course Report actually interviewed me back when I was a student, so for my detail on my story check that out here:

Turing changed my life. I came from a sales and marketing background, having majored in the humanities in undergrad, and I got a second shot at trying out a technical career years after I left undergrad. Programming has been such a joy at a deep level, and I'm totally satisfied in my current career, which is something I was unable to say whatsoever in my first three jobs out of college. Turing allowed me to build the basic skill set and learning patterns that is the foundation of my engineering career.

I now work as a Software Engineer at a fast-growing startup based in New York, and I work remotely from my home in Denver. I've been at the same company for three years and the time has flown by. On every vector, my current career is the polar opposite of my time in sales and marketing. My work is engaging, an intellectual challenge, my hours are flexible, I can easily work remote, I get paid more than triple my last job in marketing... the list could go on.

Every day I feel grateful for the fact that this surreal experience of getting paid to solve problems, collaborate with colleagues, build my craft in coding, and more is what I get paid to do! One myth about engineering that I'm so glad is untrue is that you work alone and don't work with other people. I'm a social animal and extreme extrovert, and every day I'm working with at least a half-dozen colleagues, and if I wanted to, all my work could be pair programmed. Meaning, there's no solo work in many cases unless you seek it.

I'm so glad that my apprehension in college that this wasn't for me didn't lead me to never try out coding. I was so fortunate that at a crossroads in my career early on bootcamps came up as an alternative model and I didn't have to go into six figures of debt to go back for a second bachelors, only to then try out and see if this career was for me.

I talk plenty in my Course Report interview above about the school, educational quality, and various other experiences at Turing, so I don't want to cover that redunantly here. It was a five-star operation all around. There were certainly roadbumps, and running any complex organization you'll encounter those. Overall though, I'm totally satisfied. I can hopefully give a bit of a window in sides of the post-Turing life that aren't covered as much in these reviews, since I'm four years out from when I started.

I paid off my loans for living costs and tuition (~$40k total) from Turing within about ~18 months. Changing careers allowed me to save for retirement, buy a home, have the wedding I wanted (and plan said wedding, given my flexible remote schedule!), and have a solid future ahead of me in an in-demand career I love and that gets me excited to come to work every week. I no longer have the Sunday blues before a terrible week of office politics and aggressive deadlines with unreasonable goals.

Four years out, I'm now highly competitive as a candidate in the engineering job market. While getting the first job can be tough, once you have a few years under your belt, you will see what the term "career capital" really means. We have a #salaries Slack channel where folks post their job offers, raises, promotions, and more. My pay has increased over 50% from when I first started working as a Software Engineer three years ago fresh out of Turing (70k to 117.5k). In past jobs, no matter what track record I had, getting a raise of even 2-5k could be brutal, and there was a line of candidates out the door to replace me in every job I left.

Having been in a former career where it was a struggle to get entry- and mid-level experience and to get any company to call you back, I feel grateful for the feeling of security I have working as an engineer and having recruiters reach out to me almost daily. I've put my resume on Hired and Vettery recently (headhunting services for engineers) and get so many requests from companies I've had to take down my candidacy after getting a dozen plus inquiries within a week, for job offers substantially above what I already make.

My parting piece of advice is, if you are strongly considering going to a code school like Turing, I'd say just make the jump and don't second guess yourself. The field of software development is growing rapidly, and it's a great fit for many different types of people, backgrounds and skill sets. I've seen many hesitate and pass up the chance to really change their lives due to fear of the unknown. I've been through this myself and all I can say is I highly encourage folks to make the leap and become a software engineer (and, of course, go to Turing!).

• Ricardo   User Photo
    Ricardo • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

And that makes all the difference in the world.  The fact that Turing has an eval system at the end of each module that is a simple pass or fail is ultimately what separates Turing from any other coding camp that I've yet encountered. They will make you repeat a module and if you cannot make it through the second time around then you are simply asked to leave. This is key.  Imagine being in class and feeling that pit of insecurity that you might not make it through the program. What if I wasted my time? Did I waste my money? What if I'm not smart enough? What if I've been lying to myself? Do I really deserve this? This isn't going to work! Now imagine how loud those questions become should Turing, in fact, hold you back a module. It happened to me.  That was by far the biggest challenge that I and believe many others actually contend with while at Turing. I'm convinced those who failed to make it through the program are those who let those questions overwhelm their thoughts. It's also why I believe your average Turing grad is stronger than most any other boot camp or CS degree grad.  This is why I'm currently working as a software developer at Salesforce. This is how I had the confidence to step into an hour-long whiteboarding session with an interviewer who has a PhD in CS, followed by 3 more hours of back to back to back coding and culture fit interviews. This is why I'm not having trouble keeping up with my co-workers, some of whom graduated with masters degrees in CS from Cal Poly, School of Mines or Stanford to name a few.  I'm still terrified. I still deal with imposter syndrome on a daily basis. I still doubt most everything that I say or do while at work. But I know I can deal with it. I can deal with it because of what Turing forced me to work through. I shudder to think of walking into this office without having already faced those inner demons.

Thank you, Turing. You fundamentally altered the course and direction of my life and more importantly the lives of my family. You've given me security by making me face insecurity. You set a standard that for myself that I'm still trying hard to reach.  For those of you who read this far...  You might fail. It's what makes Turing worth it.

• Carrie Walsh  User Photo
    Carrie Walsh • data engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

When I decided to make the change from teaching to programming, originally I wanted to do an apprenticeship in Boulder. Then a friend made me go to a Try Coding for Teachers. I knew right away that I had met my people.

Fast-forward and I'm graduating today. It's so surreal. Turing provides such a unique experience and you can feel how much they care and want you to succeed. Don't get me wrong, it is a difficult 7 months. There are a lot of late nights and a lot of times you reach a wall and can't see how to get over it. But the skills they provide you to plan and climb those hurdles is beyond what I expected. I've felt nothing but support and the community both in the basement and beyond is more than I could have hoped for.

The more you put into your time at Turing, the more you get out of it.

• BE Graduate
    - 6/6/2019
    Nick  User Photo
    Nick • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The program is advertised as a 7 month program.  The program is broken into four 6 week modules.  In many cases, students have to repeat one or two of these modules.  The program will then take you and extra 3 months. That being said, the program was the best thing I have ever done.  It is NOT for everyone.  I spent an average of 60-70 a week either on campus or at home working on projects, in class or studying.  There are very few opportunities to take a day off.  If you remember that this program is less than a year, it makes the long hours easier.  Go to a try coding event if you want to check it out.

The school is in a cool location in Denver.  Take public transportation if you have the option.

• Mike L.  User Photo
    Mike L. • Web Client Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

TLDR: If you are ready for a dev-related career, can afford to take 7+ months to learn and are prepared to WORK HARD, go to Turing! I made a career switch from Marketing to Frontend Development and went through the 3rd wave of the frontend program (1610). I wanted a career where I could solve challenging problems, work hard to improve my skillset and work remote. Programming (with Turing's help) gave me just that. Turing was an incredible place to learn. The facility is great (you might think windows would be nice but when you need to stay heads-down on a project, a basement is the best place). The staff is incredibly knowledgable and does everything in their power to set you up for success. The curriculum was great then (2016/2017) and prepared me well and has been iterated on and vastly improved in the years since. Lastly, you are going through it with a bunch of other people learning the same things you are. These people will become invaluable resources for your learning, sanity and even job prospects down the road. **If you work hard, the skills will come...but the community you immerse yourself in with Turing is the greatest value you will receive. ** The outcomes of Turing were incredible. They were supportive with the job search, helped prepare me for interviews and provided the resources necessary to build an attractive resume. Plus when you have access to hundreds of Turing graduates, networking is kind of fun. Within a few months after attending I was able to increase my salary by 40% and now on my 2nd dev job (almost 2 years since graduating) I have essentially doubled the salary I had before attending Turing. Not to mention I work remote which was a big incentive I sought out when switching careers (keep in mind it can take a while after Turing to establish the necessary skills to be successful in a remote environment).  On top of the technical skills, Turing does an amazing job of reinforcing and enhancing what the industry calls "soft skills". Through weekly "Gear Ups", you learn a better sense of respect and how to navigate differing opinions. Code is written for human eyes at the end of the day and your ability to collaborate and effectively communicate with others will make you more attractive to companies, better to work with and let's be honest, a better person in general.  So I'll repeat it here - If you are ready for a dev-related career, can afford to take 7+ months to learn and are prepared to WORK HARD, go to Turing! The admission cost is a tiny price to pay for what you get in return. Some final thoughts and opinions:

Be ready to WORK! The classtime/worktime hours are only part of it. I put in 60-80 hour weeks regularly while attending Turing.  Don't try to work while attending Turing (if you can help it). Things will get intense quickly and the stress levels are high enough. If you can manage to take out a loan to afford your cost of living on top of Turing, the average salareis being reported from graduates will be more than enough to pay it back quickly.  I've seen some folks drop out because they feel they didn't get what they paid for...First off the cost is nothing when you think about what you're getting. More importantly, going to Turing does not guarantee you a career in programming. They will do everything in their power to help you succeed. What you get out is what YOU put in. You can't "buy" a new career. You will need to work your ass off and earn it.  ​Turing is an "All In" experience. If your plan is to pick and choose the lessons you attend and skip out on others, Turing is not for you.

If you're still reading this I hope you found it helpful. Turing changed my life. I love what I do for work, am constantly learning/growing and am able to live where I want to because of the skils they helped me acquire. If you are prepared to work for it, Turing will get you there.

• Tim Tyrrell  User Photo
    Tim Tyrrell • Developer Verified via GitHub

They gave me a sense of purpose.

They taught me what hard-work looks like, what it leads to, and why it's important.

They challenged me to be a better me. They asked me to challenge others to be a better them.

They gave me a sense of empathy for those I assumed had always had had a similar experience to mine, which was a wildly inaccurate assumption.

They gave me a skill. Then, they gave me another skill. They gave me skills that build on skills.

They gave me their effort. They gave me their support.

They gave me a community to be inspired by. They gave me people I can depend on. They gave me better firends.

They gave me an opportunity to be proud of my self. They gave me the chance to lift up others.

They gave me a chance to contemplate impact and responsibility.

They gave me tough love when I needed it. They gave me perspective.

They didn't give me a choice to do it my way, instead, they showed me the right way to do it.

They gave me a chance to help make the community feel more like it was mine when I was a student.

They gave me a career.

They gave me ladder.

They threw me a life preserver when I was floundering.

They listened to me.

They gave me a hand when I was down.

They cared about me and my success. They care about me and my success.

They gave me an opportunity to change my life. They gave me an opportunity to change the lives of my grandchildren.

I don't have any grandchildren.

They gave me a place to belong. They gave me a sense of what equality actually looks like.

They gave me advice on how to grow. They grew me.

They keep giving to me. They will never stop giving to me.

Every day this community grows in size, so do my future prospects within this industry. Every time a Turing alumni does their job well, my name gains respect by association. And, every time I represent myself well, I have the opportunity to fuel that respect as well.

What else will Turing give me in a year? In five? In ten?

These are questions I feel privileged to ask.

How can I ever give enough back to them?

Truthfully, I can't. They've given me a new life. A better life. How do you repay that?

But, I will still keep giving, keep trying, keep growing, because I know they will never stop doing the same for me and our community at large.

I am but a small slice of Turing. But, I am Turing. And, Turing is an extension of me. But, more importantly it is an extension of many who are not me. And, it is an organism that will never be complete. It will grow and evolve and iterate to become more than any one person ever could be. It already has done that, and it will only grow stronger.

Thinking about what Turing might give you? All the above and more.

But, more importantly, one should be thinking about what one can give to Turing. For this is the mindset that will enable one to obtain the most successful outcome.

Giving yields getting in this community.

If you give yourself, your effort, your trust, your energy, and your mind to Turing, you will get more than you had ever dreamed a "code-school" could possibly provide.

Thank you, again and again, thank you Turing.

• Charlie C.  User Photo
    Charlie C. • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the backend program at Turing school in March 2017 (1703). I worked in public libraries for about a decade before discovering a passion for coding. Code school seemed to be the most efficient way to accomplish a career change. I chose Turing because it was the longest, most in depth, and most well-reviewed of Denver's options. I also appreciated that it was non-profit.

I did the backend program, graduated after 6 months or so, had a job within a couple weeks of graduation. I'm about a year and a half into my software engineering career now. I’m a full stack engineer, which means I do front end, back end, and devops. Turing prepared me for this. I am absolutely loving every moment if it.

Of course, while I was in the Turing basement, I don't think I'd describe it as love. I worked 12-16 hours a day, seven days a week throughout the entire program. For seven months, I didn't have a day off, I didn’t see my family or friends, I didn't read or hike or have any hobbies. I’m not usually a crier, but for seven months, I coded and I cried; and, because Turing time is precious, I coded while crying because it’s more efficient! Part of that is my fault for being overly intense about achievement and learning, but part of that is the stressful nature of the program (there’s a row of small rooms near the kitchen that are officially called “phone booths” but are unofficially referred to by students as the “crying rooms”). But, I learned what I needed to learn, I finished, got a job as an actual software engineer, have the tools I need to be good at my job. And, you guys: my job is super dope.

I absolutely recommend the program, but feel the need to point out that my cohort lost about half of its students along the way. Either they left the program entirely or stayed back to repeat a module. It is one of the hardest code schools — that’s why it has such a great reputation with employers — but not everyone makes it through. That’s part of the stress of the program is seeing this happen to other people and being terrified that it might happen to you in a few weeks. What if you work as hard as you can and it’s not enough?

I don't say so to discourage you from attending, but rather if you choose to attend, I encourage you to set yourself up for success: Do all the pre work, including the extra extensions. Don't plan long hikes on weekends or camping trips during intermissions. Say “farewell for now” to your family and friends. Budget for eating out a lot if you don't have someone to cook for you. Invest in dry shampoo. Listen to the teachers and don’t get mad at them when they tell you to Google it. You need to hear that. And show up every day ready to work harder and longer than you probably have ever before. It's a long 7 months, but it's only 7 months.

If it’s what you want and you’re willing to put in the work, it’s totally worth it.

• Adam Lusk  User Photo
    Adam Lusk • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I was a struggling musician with a Master's. Now I'm a well-paid software engineer thanks to Turing, and I couldn't be happier. If you are considering a boot camp to learn software, look to Turing first.

The program lives up to its reputation. It is very difficult and time consuming, and the staff is extremely knowledgeable and caring. If you get through it, you'll have a portfolio full of web apps to show to potential employers that students coming out of universities with CS degress lack. And there is a very inclusive atmosphere that invites a diverse group of people to share ideas and experiences with each other to develop all kinds of empathy, a desparately needed skill in any industry.

Just go there already and make your life better while making everybody else's life better with the technology you will build.

• Gray Smith  User Photo
    Gray Smith • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I very much enjoyed my time at Turing and got an amazing new job a little more than a month out from graduating. I considered several different bootcamps and the thing that sold me on Turing was the staff and the commitment to excellence. Turing is a single-location non-profit and the founders are down in the basement day in and day out critically analyzing everything they do and continuously improving the curriculum. I’m actually jealous of the current students because I feel like the curriculum has gotten markedly better even since I’ve been there a few months ago.    Turing also has a very good reputation with employers because their graduates are actually job ready. Turing is very hard especially if you’ve never done any previous programming (most students haven’t so its normal). Prep work before starting is crucial to your success in the program in my opinion. They are currently working on Module 0 to help people prepare. As hard as it is, Turing is a lot of fun! The projects are awesome and you will make some really good friends. The camaraderie and mutual support in the basement is infectious. The teachers are also excellent and very committed to the students.    You will get a job after Turing and a lot of graduates are making really good money right out of school. However, you have to work hard for it and make sure all your ducks are in a row (networking, projects, personal site, interview skills, LinkedIn). The alumni network is strong and the career services people are great. They will help you with all this stuff if you put in the work.   I would highly recommend Turing to anyone who is interested in programming as a career. If you’re not sure, go check out a ‘Try Turing’. If you like it, sign up for the program and start preparing right away! 10/10 would enroll again.
  • Life Changer
    - 1/24/2019
    DW  User Photo
    DW • Frontend Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I know its been repeated in review after review, but the decision to enroll as a student in Turing's frontend program completely changed my life. To anyone looking to make a career switch into software development, I highly recommend attending the Try Turing weekend to get a feel for the instruction style and atmosphere. It won’t be easy, and it will take everything you’ve got for all 7 months, but if you put in the hard work, the benefits of this program are incredible!

• Josh Thompson  User Photo
    Josh Thompson • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated from college in 2011 with a major in Political Science and a minor in "International Studies", whatever that is.

I have never, ever used the "skills" I gained in college. No one has ever asked to look at my resume, or asked me about my college education.

The skills I gained in Turing, on the other hand, are extremely relevant. I'm now a software developer, and I'm about 1.5 years into my first job.

I suspect my entire working career will fall into two categories:

Pre-Turing Post-Turing

I'm feeling really good about my post-Turing career. I enjoy the work I do every day, and I'm well paid. I have significant growth opportunity in my career, and I have a healthy work-life balance. I can spend time with my wife and family, friends, etc.

I appreciate what Turing does every day, and contribute time (and money!) to their efforts. I mentor students, I donate to the school, I refer many friends to Turing. To date, FOUR of my friends have gone through the program, and all are equally thrilled with it.

After I finished Turing, I paid off the $15k I owed for Turing, and the $15k I had left in student loans, in less than a year. Now all the extra income just goes straight to savings.

I wrote up a bit about my experience here: https://josh.works/turing-retrospective

I think Turing is a great use of time and money. I strongly suggest you do the work of setting yourself up for success at Turing, across financial and emotional domains. Take out a loan if necessary, but don't try to work a job while in Turing. Plan on putting your regular life on hold while at Turing. Work hard to get through the prework, and then some. Work hard, and sleep at least eight hours a day. When you're done, do what they say to get a job, and you'll get a job. Your life will be changed.

• Eric Wahlgren-Sauro  User Photo
    Eric Wahlgren-Sauro • Software Engineer Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated from Turing in June of 2017. I attended the program for eleven months after having repeated two modules. I'm currently at work and want to be quick so if I don't mention something assume it was amazing, 5/5. The professional development I found to be mostly busy work. I already had a LinkedIn set up and in a healthy state. I knew, given my personality, using Twitter wasn't how I was going to find connections and therefore wasn't valuable. College had taught me already how to assemble a decent resume so that wasn't a learning curve. The most valuable part of all the PD was the mod 5 content. I'll link to part 1/3. That put a fire under my butt to really nail my interviews and treat each with great care. Those videos basically showed me to never assume you've made it until you've made it. The only other thing I thought wasn't maximum potent value add were weekly gear up sessions. Every Friday we would take a couple hours to dive in on a topic of controversy and while this is a fun exercise at best you leave it being on the "right" side of the argument and at worst you lose ground with peers and instructors. I think just leaving that off the table for consideration would be a benefit to Turing.

Briefly, let's talk about the amazing. Turing is hands down, the best education regarding any subject matter I have received. Everyone at the program is there because they want to be and that makes a world of difference in how much effort I put into the work. There are no games around work that can be skipped and work that really matters. No, it all matters and someone has thought deeply about why that content shouldn't end up on the cutting room floor.

• Kathleen Yruegas  User Photo
    Kathleen Yruegas • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

8 months ago, I was working as a financial aid officer at a small school and I was bored out of my mind. Career growth was small and I knew I wanted to do something that challenged me and elevated my current level of living. Through a lot of research and talking to alumni, I settled on Turing School. I started in June 2018 in the Back End Engineering program and just graduated a few weeks ago (January 2019). The down and dirty is Turing was the most difficult, yet rewarding thing I have ever done.

The work load is intense. I spent the better of 50-70 hours per week working on projects and studying. Stress levels were high, work-life balance was very very hard to maintain and most of us really didn't have much of a life outside of Turing. We were in it together though and the support amoung my classmates and the staff was amazing. The friends I made over those 7 months will be my friends forever, no doubt! I have a family and kids and juggling those responsibilites with school was very very difficult. But holy crap I learned so much!!! More than I thought I was capable of! I didn't have a background in software, just some exploring here and there, but I can now create full web apps! I surpassed all expectations I had of myself and Turing surpassed all expectations I had of the school. The community is amazing, there is tons of support and resources if someone is needing technical help, emotional help, job search help, etc. The mentor and alumni community is strong and they are almost always willing to help however they can.

From my graduating cohort of 16 people in the Back End program, one of us had a job offer at graduation. Many have had multiple interviews and are progressing in the job search. Turing has great support in this area and if you do the things they tell you, you will be successful!

If I had to do it again, I would in a heartbeat. Those 7 months were emotionally strenuous, stress levels were crazy, I cried many a time, but Turing helps you push through, dig in, and learn how to code. The program is extremely immersive as it needs to be to teach you so much in such a short period of time. The in-person structure was key for me. Having that community and accountability was the reason for my success. We did individual and group projects which allowed us to learn more from our peers and to build our collaborative skills as well. (Read: great for employement!!!)

I could go on forever about why Turing was so great, but if you really want to see what it's like, talk to an alumni, attend a Try Turing event, or attend some sort of information event.

I would absolutely recommend Turing, but one who might attend should be aware of the time commitment. If you have questions, you can find any Turing alumni on LinkedIn and they will most likely be happy to talk to you about the program!

• :thumbsup
    - 1/23/2019
    Nicholas J  User Photo
    Nicholas J • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Plenty has already been said about this program in other reviews so I'll keep this brief.

My life will forever be divided in my mind into two distinct periods: before I attended Turing and after I attended Turing.

It was a transformational experience for me in ways I never expected, it's impact going far beyond just my career or salary. I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend.

• Jesse Pinkman  User Photo
    Jesse Pinkman • Software engineer • Student Verified via GitHub

I attended Turing for eight months. I had a decent overall experience, and ended up getting an amazing job after only completing 3/4 of the program. I learned what I needed to in order to excel in my current job. I think that there are several things that could be changed at turing however. Firstly, Turing promotes transparency, yet doesn't release statistics on how many students end up repeating a module. Most of the students that I knew ended up repeating one or more modules. Turing should release these statistics and realize that in order for people to save up an appropriate amount of money and plan ahead, they need to be honest about the module repetition system. I also think they should re-evaluate how they assess and deal with possible cases of academic dishonesty, especially when it comes to accusing entire classes of cheating. My entire class was accused multiple times, even though we all knew that the accusations weren't legitimate, and as far as I know, no one was actually singled out(which would be pretty easy to figure out in that its CODE). Overall, I met a lot of amazing people, learned a lot, but was dissapointed in the general management.

Response From: Jeff Casimir of Turing
    Title: Executive Director
    Wednesday, Jan 23 2019
    Keeliana,I'm excited to hear that your job has been amazing and leads to more great things in your future.In our industry-standard CIRR reports linked on this page or findable on https://cirr.org/data , there are lines for "How many students graduate within 100% of published program length (on-time)?" and "How many students graduate within 150% of published program length". The difference between those, currently about 8%, represents the percentage of students who repeat or take time off and still graduate. Amongst the students who don't graduate there are, of course, a high percentage of repeaters. The typical ratio is for a Module 1 class of about 28 students to see four repeat Mod 1. Then the numbers typical go down each mod with 2-3 repeaters in Mod 2, 1-2 in Mod 3, and none in Mod 4.Personally, the module-repeat system is one of the things I am most proud about at Turing. Few other programs have any meaningful assessments or checkpoints in their academic program. Over the years we have seen many students struggle, repeat, and succeed. In another program, they would have either just dropped out or, worse, spent their entire time at the bottom of the class always a bit behind. That's bad for their skill development, bad for their psyche, and bad for their classmates. We've also implemented the Mod 0 curriculum to cut down some of the reasons people dropout early or need to repeat modules: insufficient life planning (budgets, scheduling, etc) and foundational technical skills (using files and folders, text editors, etc). As you mentioned, some students don't make a realistic budget for their time at and after the program (allowing for both potential mod repeats and time to job hunt). Financial pressure/stress typically undercuts their academic progress, leading to poor results. My hope is that Mod 0 will mean more students have a healthy financial life leading to better academic performance and a dramatic change in the stats for 2019 and beyond.On the topic of Academic Dishonesty, it's surely complicated. We have a documented academic integrity policy in our student handbook and review it with students in the early days of the program. Nevertheless, in a world where everything is posted to GitHub, it's tempting for students to short-circuit their own learning by copying code. When we find situations of suspected copying, we always have multiple staff members look at the submitted code and the suspected source. It's usually pretty clear.In most cases we're able to give students a private/confidential warning, they're terrified, and it never happens again. Occasionally it can become a trend amongst a cohort, in which case we choose to both have individual/private conversations and whole-group discussion. From there, a second violation will usually lead to dismissal from the program. Thankfully we've only had to dismiss about six students for multiple violations of the academic integrity policy.I hope this clears up some of your concerns.
  • Life Changing
    - 9/19/2018
    Melena S  User Photo
    Melena S • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Making the decision to go to Turing was terrifying but I've never felt better about a decision in my life.

The curriculum is intentionally designed to give you the skills and underlying understanding that it takes to succeed as a developer. The instructors and staff are passionate and lovely people. The program is very demanding (60 hrs a week minimum to get by, and you'll probably want/need to do more), but with dedication is totally doable and the community really comes together to support each other.

I absolutely love the job I have now, but I miss that basement.

• Erin B.  User Photo
    Erin B. • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Attending the backend program at Turing was hands-down the most challenging and rewarding educational experience of my life (previously I completed undergraduate and master's degrees from a large state university). I chose this program for its strong curriculum, educational integrity, and non-profit mission, and I am so happy I learned to code at Turing. With any immersive/intensive experience, you must go into it expecting to do nothing else while in the program; you cannot work outside of the program, you must line up help with childcare and household duties, you should not plan any trips or weekend getaways over the seven-month period, and you must put your entire focus on your learning (and in many cases relearning how to learn in a context like Turing). I basically told my friends and family, "see you in seven months." If you cannot manage your time in that way while also getting 8 hours of sleep each night and other self-care you may need, you may struggle in this program. You must limit distractions and become incredibly self-reliant when it comes to asking for help (from other students, mentors, etc.) and seeking solutions outside of class. If you are the type who always did well in school, this program will humble you (which I find appropriate given how humbling the career of software developer can be). You will learn how to communicate well and collaborate with a team through group projects.

You will be expected to manage your own job hunt (there is no "placement service" although Turing is well-known/respected among hiring managers and employers often come to Turing to find candidates), but the Turing curriculum includes great professional-development sessions and resources to prepare you to do so successfully. Turing provides excellent instruction and a lot of wonderful resources, but in the end, you are in charge of your success in the program and job hunt. If you get behind or need more instruction, you have the option to repeat a module (there are four modules in the seven-month program) for an additional charge.

Turing is hard, stressful and relentless in ways I'd never experienced before, but it's also fun, inclusive and definitely worth it. If I had to do things over again, I would have done considerably more pre-work and online learning before starting the program—possibly like six months' worth of part-time solo studying since I didn't come from a technical background. I also highly recommend attending one of the "Try Coding" workshops Turing runs on weekends before deciding to enroll. Once you're in: Keep repeating to yourself, "This is really hard, but I can do this" because it's true, and just keep going.

• 10/10 Do It Again
    - 8/31/2018
    Jon  User Photo
    Jon • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Before attending Turing, I researched a lot of bootcamps. I transitioned my career from a completely different field and wanted to make sure I made the right choice to launch my new career as a software developer. After all the research, it still felt a bit like a leap of faith, but I could not be happier with my choice to attend Turing. My impression of most bootcamps is that they are "pay-to-play" and regardless of whether you retain any meaningful knowledge or skills, they ship you out in to the world and call you a developer. That is not the case with Turing and you will be thankful for it later. The Turing program is rigorous and ever changing to keep up with the latest technology. Their staff is unbelievably skilled and knowledgeable and if you want to move forward through the program you have to pass legitimate assessments. You will see some of your new peers/friends fall behind, or even drop out - this is a good thing. The academic rigor and refusal to graduate someone who is woefully unprepared is what has set Turing apart from their competition and, at least in the Denver, I think the tech scene has recognized that. Turing is doing a great job of breaking the stigma around bootcamps with employers that other camps have created by churning out underqualified devs in the name of profit (Turing is a non-profit).

Turing does a great job with professional development and preparing you to find a job, but they won't just hand you a job. That being said, most developers bounce around within the 'gig economy' that is software development and taking the time to learn how to craft your resume and a nice portfolio is worthwhile when you are ready to put your name back out in the market for your 2nd or 3rd opportunity. The teachers are great, but a special shoutout goes to the supporting players that run the professional development and personal growth side of the curriculum.

10/10 would do it again.

• Awesome experience
    - 8/31/2018
    Adrian Lara  User Photo
    Adrian Lara • Associate DevOps Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

TL;DR - This isn’t a place you come to just to get good grades and earn a certificate; this is a place to get job ready. Along the way, you’ll likely be part of an awesome community and meet some amazing people.

Before continuing, I’ll preface my more detailed review with a reminder that this comes from own experiences which, of course, can/will be different from others’.

Regarding the technical curriculum, I think it was generally well structured in that there’s an initial focus on the basics of programming before they dive into more practical and applicable skills. Throughout the program, there’s a common theme that I think worked very well - that is, they often position students to explore a topic on their own before formally teaching it. As difficult as this was, this did two things for me. The first is that it allowed me to have context for any particular lesson/topic being taught. The second is that it allowed me to be confident in exploring unknowns and being self-sufficient as a developer. I think the second is a necessary skill for developers to practice.

The instructors and staff are an amazing group of people who really care about the growth of their students. They range from Turing alumni to individuals with years of experience in the field. As an aside, for those like me, I initially had some concern about being taught by alumni with no experience in the field. But not only was this a non-issue (they were all very knowledgable), looking back, I’d now view this as a positive.  It was great to learn topics from someone who could easily “meet me where I was”, which I think the alumni-turned-instructors were all very good at doing. Lastly and maybe most importantly, all of the staff (including Jeff) are not afraid to make changes to the their teaching styles or curriculum based on student feedback or relevant changes in the field.

Finally, I’ll speak very briefly about the overall community. I really felt like this is a place designed to push individuals to grow personally as well as technically. There are plenty of non-technical sessions that explicitly did this, and I think those were extremely useful. But aside from those, I think the personalities of the staff and students collectively add up to a community of people that want to make a positive impact on the tech and larger community.

(Like a lot of things in life) Turing is what you make it, but the school's done a great job of providing the environment for you to grow in a lot of ways. Overall, I really appreciate my experience at Turing.

• Seamus Quinn  User Photo
    Seamus Quinn • QA Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I want to preface this by stating that these are my experiences.  I can only speak for myself, and hope that this review is seen as singular, not an accurate portrayal of every experience at Turing.  These are my opinions and should be consumed as such.

Turing is a special place.  A strong, tight-knit community where there is almost a 1:1 ratio of giving and recieving.  When I started here, I had zero experience working with computers.  I was worried that I wouldn't be successful, or able to perform to the standards of Turing, my instructors, or my peers.  I did not come from a math or science background, and was worried, especially as the first week passed, that there were others who might be more successful than me, due to their previous experiences, or their "programming-brain-type".

What it really came down to was putting in the work.  For someone like me where things did not necessarily come right away, I had to put in the work.  I had to study every day before and after school.  It wasn't easy.  It wasn't glamorous, but I eventually ended up having a lot of fun doing it, and looked forward to practicing concepts I had learned.

If you're thinking about taking the leap, know that you are landing in a community of people who care about your development as a learner, a thinker, and a human being.  This is not a place for a quick fix.  It is a place to build a foundation that allows you to learn whatever you set your mind to.  That being said, the time required (in my experience) to be successful is huge, and should not be taken lightly.  If you are not sure if you will be able to devote the majority of your time to learning, Turing might not be the place for you.

• Jordan Quinn  User Photo
    Jordan Quinn • Software Developer @ AlsoEnergy • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I am who I am today, in large part, because of my experiences at Turing. Coming into the program, I had a very slight "edge", in that I had taught myself some code over the period of about 6 months. By the end of the program, though, that edge was non-existent. We were all equals. I have never so consistently felt that I was surrounded by individuals (staff and students alike) that wanted nothing more than to better themselves and those around them. It's absolutely infectious and I can guarantee that,  if nothing else, Turing will inspire you to transcend your former self and you will try to become something more. As many of the other reviews have stated, you can expect 70-80 hour work weeks here. There will be incredibly intense struggles, moments where you feel like you can't.

But then you will.

And out of that process of living somewhere between the edge of success and failure for 7 months, you'll become a well rounded software developer who is more than ready and capable to join the work force. More importantlty than that, though, you'll become a well rounded human being. The relationships I developed while at Turing are some of the most dear I've had over the course of my entire existence. It's a family. I walked away with numerous mentors, people I know will be in my wedding party someday, endless professional contacts, and a sense of pride I had never previously experienced. My perspectives were challenged, my paradigms shifted, and I became a little bit more of the type of person I'd truly like to be. That said, you can absolutely expect to make intense sacrifices. Friends from outside the program, family, and other relationships will become strained. At the time of writing this, I am the 10th or 11th known (thanks for loosely keeping track of this stat, Jeff) engaged person to leave the program no longer engaged to their former fiance. While this may sound like a tragedy, it's the best thing that ever happened to either one of us. We both grew due to my experience at Turing, into individuals that no longer fit in a pair. And out of that, came the opportunity to pursue who we truly are.  I use that example to (hopefully) paint a picture of just how intense this program is. You will leave different than you came.

But, it'll be the best thing you've ever done.

• Veterans Warning
    - 7/26/2018
    Angi C  User Photo
    Angi C • amcolling@gmail.com • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Hi- I was hesitant to leave this review, as I do not want to scare people away from applying to Turing. Turing is a good school, it is boot camp style, so essentially you are thrown in the deep end when you can barely swim, then throughout the module, you are thrown more and more material, sinking you deeper, as you struggle to keep your breath. The staff wants you to struggle, as a big part of becoming a developer is solving your own problems using Google, and various other resources such as classmates, and staff.

I came into Turing with a solid education, I have a master's degree and a BS in Science. However, this school is geared towards people with mathematical or engineering degrees (arts degree as well, it is the left side of your brain used mainly for object orientated programming)- those are the people that really excel. I am not saying that you cannot go through this school successfully when you have any other types of backgrounds, I am just saying the majority of people that move on without repeating modules have those types of backgrounds typically.

The cost of tuition is roughly $20,000, that includes a laptop. As a veteran, you should know it is $20,000 for four modules, so if you repeat that is an extra cost on top of that $20,000. When I went through the repeat rate was 35%!!!! 10 of us out of 28 repeated, with three dropping out for various personal reasons. I used my post-911 GI bill for this school. The VA paid the full $20,000 upfront to Turing. Turing has a policy if you fail a module twice, you are not cut out to continue in Turing, this happened to me. In the end, Turing took roughly $10,000 and some change (admin fees) from the VA. You will still owe the VA. I was warned by a staff member that people tend to have to pay BAH back, as the VA takes awhile to process withdraw paperwork.

This school is really tough. Turing has a very lax acceptance process compared to say Galvanize (interview, portfolio, coding examples, etc). To get accepted, I basically just had to answer why I want to pursue this field, and then solve an algorithm. So yes, you will probably get accepted easily. This is easy money for the school. The instructors are great, and they will help you in any way they can, but keep in mind that any extra help you ask for, they are outweighing your progress in the back of their minds.

Some of my classmates that repeated continued through, those that repeated prior to and were in my first module continued to module two, however, two of them are repeating module two. Can you imagine that is $15,000 in the hole already? So outweigh this decision and do not take this lightly, you only have so much GI bill to use. If you make it through, I have heard it is life changing. You gain great friends and a great career.

With all of this being said, reading this review before starting I probably would have still enrolled. I trust in my abilities to adapt to stressful environments and I was always an A student, but look where I am now. I can say that I put in everything I had into this program, I was there 12 hours a day and barely saw my family. Time does not equal success in this program. You need to be able to grasp object orientated programming fully- I was there, I was on the edge- but they would not allow me to continue. So before deciding to spend your hard earned, sweat and tears funding from the VA- really weigh your options.

• Co7  User Photo
    Co7 • Software Support Specialist • Student Verified via GitHub

Full Disclosure, wasn't able to finish at Turing for reasons that had nothing to do with the School, but was able to complete 3 of the 4 modules and even repeated the 1st module so in some ways I got extra experience only some see.

Like you will read from most, this place is challenging. There is no ceiling for any student and everyone has a rough time. Be prepared for long, sleepless, frustrated nights and mornings that come too soon, only to have more information crammed down your throat. The first module can be quite the wake up call and it only continues. The pace is fast and vigorous, but so is your learning curve. Sadly the first few weeks there didn't go quite as smoothly for me as it did others and so I was forced to repeat. While feeling like failure, the staff and other students made it known I wasn't. Like many others I was able to pick it up, and progress on.

All in all, the school is great. It fosters a community that is there to help out and support you. The staff is fantastic and without a doubt there only to see you succeed. If you're able to make the commitment, you will not regret it. The amount of information and experience you gain is incredible. Not just from a coding side either.

Many people say, "This school is life changing". When I first heard that, I honestly cringed from the cheese-ness. However I can attest it's the truth. While everyone of course will take different things away from the program, I can only speak to what I took from it. I absolutely became a much more driven, efficient and focussed person. I learned to communicate with co-workers/students better and also learned to know when to push through a problem, and when to ask for help. These traits, paired with vast coding knowledge you'll learn made transitioning into my first developer position easier than others who came from different boot camps or backgrounds.

My advice to perspective students, get your life situated and ready to be completely hijacked for the time there. Had I prepared more for the full immersion that is Turing, I can honestly say things would have gone smoother. Do the pre-work and be ready to be committed to the program. Relationships and a life outside of Turing is virtually non-existent, or at least when I was there. But once again, it's well worth it on the other end.

While I didn't necessarily fit in the best there socially, I'd say everyone there looks out for each other and there is very strong since of camaraderie and teamwork. So don't let that keep you away from what is something amazing.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

95% of job obtainers reported salaries.

• 71 enrolled students are covered in this report.
  • View Turing's Detailed Outcomes Summary here.
  • CIRR is a coalition of coding bootcamps that have adopted a standard for reporting, publishing, and marketing student outcomes. Read more about CIRR