turing-logo

Turing

Denver

Turing

Turing School of Software & Design is a 7-month, full-time training program in Denver, CO turning driven students into professional developers. Students who take their Back End Engineering Program or their front End Engineering Program will be surrounded by a supportive team dedicated to their career success. Turing's mission is to unlock human potential by training a diverse, inclusive student body to succeed in high-fulfillment technical careers, while Turing's vision is a world powered by technology where the people building it represent the people using it. Turing is the brainchild of Jeff Casimir and Jumpstart Labs (you might recognize these names from Hungry Academy and gSchool, among other achievements). The staff at Turing emphasizes their educational experience, not just their years as developers, and promises that successful graduates of the school will be valuable contributors to the company they choose to work for through community-driven education. The application process is rolling and requires a resume, writing sample, video response, and logic challenge. Students in the Turing program will learn TDD with Ruby, Ruby Web Applications with Sinatra & Rails, Professional Web Applications, and High-Performance Applications with APIs and Services. In addition, Turing now accepts the GI Bill and offers M-1 visa assistance.

Recent Turing Reviews: Rating 4.78

all (164) reviews for Turing →

Recent Turing News

Read all (54) articles about Turing →
  • Back-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Ruby, SQL
    LocationDenver
    Moving from the basics of object-oriented programming and software execution to building database-backed web applications in Sinatra and Rails, our Back-End Engineering program provides the fundamental skills to launch your career in programming.
    Deposit$1,000
    Tuition PlansAlternative Financing available for students who are not approved by our lending partners.
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship
  • Front-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, User Experience Design, CSS, Express.js, Front End
    LocationDenver
    Our front-end program provides the necessary skills to build a career in front-end development. From UX/UI principles to strong foundations on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, our curriculum provides the framework and tools to build effective desktop, mobile and web applications.
    Deposit$1,000
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship

• Tough and Rewarding
    - 10/15/2019
    Katy Welyczko  User Photo
    Katy Welyczko • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had wanted to attend Turing for a long time. After watching some friends go through and succeed I talked to my husband about it and I jumped in. I was treading water for seven months, and I began to swim VERY slowly.

I now have more grit than I thought possible. I've stuck with things I never thought I could do and now I'm getting paid doing what I've always loved to do. Turing is the best and most challenging thing I've ever done. I still keep in touch with my cohort mates who are killing it in the business as well. I highly recommend Turing for anyone looking to change their life.

• Backend Student
    - 10/9/2020
    Eric Larson  User Photo
    Eric Larson • 2003 BE • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Apologies if a little log winded, I decided to attend Turning mainly based off of the course reports, so this is my contribution for the future me. This is all from memory, and Turing changes quite frequently, so you it will probably be a bit different when you attend.

Intro
    I was a backend student in the 2003 cohort. We were the first cohort to go online, and I have only been the the physical building twice. All the perspectives below are about the online program. About a quarter of my class did Turing in person at some point. For the most part they said that the experiences in person were similar to online, with some liking online more and some liking in person. They said for in person it was easier to get help, as they only needed to turn to the person next to them to solve a problem, whereas with online it is harder to reach out to initiate contact to get help. With in person they said it was easier to bond as a cohort, though I feel we did a good job of bonding online. Turing is broken into four mods, five if you count the job search mod which I am in. I will detail my experience in each mod below, they also have a mod 0 to ramp you up for Turing.

Turing's Approach:
    Turing's focus is on problem based learning and self learning They don't give you endless lesson after lesson where you regurgitate the content back to your teacher. They give you a bit of information and a project to challenge you and make you use that information, and the resources and knowledge to figure out what else you need to complete the project on your own. You are given maybe 70% of what you need to know to solve the project, and the tools and resources to figure out the other 30% on your own. You are taught how to research something, how to reach out to peers and mentors, and techniques to solve problems. There will be many times that you are stuck with a deadline approaching, and the desire to throw your labtop out the window. The best thing Turing teaches is how to move forward on a problem and figure out the answer on your own.

Help Turing Gives:
         Turing does a superb job of providing mental and technical assistance to students. They have a councilor/therapist, Jun, who I never used, but have heard unanimous praise from. Students have 2-3 hours each mod with him, should they choose, and he does several lunch talks, which I never attended.
         Turing's mentor system is peerless. They have a list of alumni and professionals working in the industry which their pair with students for meetings every week or two throughout a students time at Turing. Student's can go over technical topic's with these mentors, job support with the mentors, ask questions about software development, and any other things they want to discuss. All mod 1 students get a mentor and students can get additional mentors (more than one if they wish). I only had a mentor for mod 1, and not the other mods, as I did not utilize mine as much as I should have. I know students who had 5-mentors at one time.
        Turing actively encourage community among your cohort, you will use them to help with your projects, learn the material, and unwind after a hard day of coding. They are you best resource at Turing, and the relationship that Turing fosters between cohorts is one of the best things about Turing.
         They have A LOT built in reflect for the program
         Teacher's may help you, but they are more likely to guide you to other resources like your cohort or other Turing students in higher mods, or mentors.

A large number of the instructors at Turing where Turing Students at some types, most have worked in the industry for a few or many years. All are professional, with different teaching styles. It seemed that Turing gave them the freedom to teach and conduct the mod as they wish (up to a certain point). Overall the instructors were good, some great, some ok. The emphasis of the program centers more on self-learning then attending class for 8-hours, so even ok instructors contributed to a really great program.

Mod 1:
    This mod involved learning basic ruby for us. We learned how to structure code into different classes. We learned how to test code, and got proficient writing methods in ruby. We had 4 projects for this mod, two individual projects, one paired project, and one group project. For the individual projects we made the card game war, and the WW2 enigma machine. For the group project we processed CSV files and make a stat tracker app for hockey, and the paired project we made the battleship game. There were 3-4 tests this mod involving creating classes, attributes, for those classes, and methods, then hooking several classes together and writing tests for everything. This was probably my favorite mod. For the first 2 weeks or so I was probably putting in 70-80 hours. Then maybe 60 for weeks three and four, maybe 70 for week 5, and 50 for week 6. Then 20 for the intermission week. Those those number are only an estimate. Lessons were more heavy in this mod with 3-4 hours of lessons in the first few weeks. Then 2-3 hours of lessons in the latter weeks, with some days saved for project reviews.

Mod2:
    This mod centered around making rails web applications, working with databases, active record, rspec testing, and authorization, and authentication. We had the same format of 2-individual projects, a paired project, and a group project. We worked on two websites, a dog application, and an Ecommerence site. We had a few test involving making a basic website, and making relationships between databases and testing such relationships and the website. For the first couple weeks I put in probably 70ish hours, then maybe 60 on the next two weeks, and 50 on the last couple. Usually the time investment for each mod is heavier on the first few weeks as you learn the basic material, the potentially lighter on the last few weeks as you prep for the finials and finish the bigger projects, though you can make the later weeks harder as well by doing additional learning.

Mod3:
    This mod centered around api's and some additional features in rails. We were tested on our ability to consume api's and interweave the json data together, and send that to other apis. This had the same format of two solo projects, a paired project, and a group project. We built onto an existing site for one of the projects, we made an api that integrated with an already built frontend for another. We also had a project that where we could pick what we wanted to build, and had to option to show off the project in a competition. The time investment here was similar to the other mod with the first weeks being time heavy around 70-80 hours. Then the rest being a bit easier around 60, with may a 50 hour week thrown in somewhere.

Mod4:
    This mod was less useful. We had only 2 projects and no tests. For the first we were building onto an existing codebase using node.js and graphql, which were 2 languages we never used. This mod combined the frontend and backend. So we had the front end team working on displaying the data and making the website look nice and interactive, and the backend team stored the data, and made any database relationships. There we very few lessons for this mod, only a few computer science ones. For the first project, the goal was to get us familiar jumping into a brand new codebase, we wrote no code in the first week, which I did not enjoy, then made only a few contributions to the code. The second project was much more enjoyable. it was our capstone project, which we could pick. We worked with the frontend team in a language of your choice to built out an application of our choice. The finials projects all turned out really solid and were presented at demo-comp.

Extra Notes:
    We did a lot of presenting though-out the mod, with at least one presentation each mod, and later mods having several presentations. Turing taught a bunch of practices that a great in a professional environment such as git workflow, project management, and how to work in a team, those skills are probably just as useful if not more so than the code. The program was also structured so that there were more lessons in earlier mods than later ones, and more lessens were given at the start of the mod than the end, allowing more time for exploration.

Job Search and Professional Development:
    Turing had a professional development/job search lessons at least once a week. In later mods it was twice or even three times a week. They have 3-career development councilors who you can meet with whenever. While a job is not thrown in your lap, they do hold your hand throughout the entire process, providing lessons on resume, linkedin, code interviews, negotiations, networking, and 1 to 1 meetups with the career development team to help you in your search. It takes about 2ish months on average to find a job after graduation, some get one before graduating, some a bit later. The Turing network greatly helps with this. They started a fellowship program for those have a bit more trouble in the job search to get them some work experience. They throw resources with you, and as long as you put in the time, and work with the career development team weekly, you will find a good high paying job.

Overall:
    Most who attend Turing say it is life changing, and I, having just finished the program agree. If you are even thinking about switching careers, or trying software development, go to Turing, you will love it, have a great time there, and with a bit of work, get a great job afterwards.
  • Software Engineer
    - 10/2/2020
    Trisha Langlois  User Photo
    Trisha Langlois • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Turing exceeded my expectations in all aspects:
    - The curriculum is thoughtful and is constantly changing to meet the needs of the job market
    - The teachers, many of whom are former educators, are kind, supportive, and are experts in their content areas, as well as teaching methodologies
    - The nonprofit status, mission and overall culture is one that supports people holistically rather than just pumping out developers for a profit
    - Included in the curriculum is professional development, which covers networking, job hunting, developing your past career as an asset to an employer
    - The length of time, which is longer than most bootcamps, gives students more time with the material, allowing them to go deeper into the content, ultimately better equipping graduates compared to other bootcamps
  • Carla  User Photo
    Carla • Front End Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Turing is tough but so worth it! I went through the front end program and landed a job as a front end developer a week after graduating. It really does consume your life for 7 months but your reward is being an employable developer at the end! I had amazing teachers and co-hort mates... some days I really miss that basement. If you are willing to work hard and learn fast - Turing is the place to be!
  • Tyla Gillings  User Photo
    Tyla Gillings • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    7 month, Backend or Frontend specific programs. I participated in the Backend program. Backend focuses on Ruby on Rails, API's, TDD, CI/CD, Agile processes, Career Development, and Professional Development. Really amazing school that really cares about student success all the way through getting your first dev job.
  • Nick Nist  User Photo
    Nick Nist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    In my 'past life' as a middle school teacher, I was looking for an organization that would accelerate my career in front end engineering while putting their people first. This includes students, instructors, staff, and everyone involved. Turing is a place to truly be yourself while you learn. Turing is also place where you will lean into discomfort and talk about the ethics of AI and what your code could REALLY impact. Once I attended a Try Turing I didn't even look at any other coding schools. I knew this was the one.
  • Beyond worth it!
    - 1/23/2020
    Vanessa Randall  User Photo
    Vanessa Randall • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Of all the bootcamp style programs, this is by far the most in depth and beneficial. After seeing friends go through the program and after a few years they were still employed and happy, I knew I was going to get the support I needed as someone who was completely new to tech. The curriculum is insanely fast paced, but ingrains a tenacious work ethic, and leaves you with the confidence and abilities to teach yourself anything new. Most bootcamp style programs don't teach their students anywhere near as much of the content that Turing provided me with. The community is so supportive, and the rapid growth of the program is proving to thoroughly benefit their graduates. Everyone I have met in the Turing alumni network has said attending Turing was the best decision they have ever made. Turing provides their students with the materials and resources they need to succeed, and I have no doubts in my worth as a junior coming into the field.

• Michael Clampett  User Photo
    Michael Clampett • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Software is a very difficult field to enter because you're competing with other bootcamp graduates and people who have Computer Science backgrounds. Every job in the marketplace wants 3-5 years of experience and your resume gets thrown into a pile of 400 other applicants. If you understand this, you can still succeed at Turing. They do a pretty good job of letting students know the jobs aren't going to miraculously land in your lap - you will have to work incredibly hard, excruciatingly hard, to land that sweet gig at the end.

Originally I wrote a pretty negative review of the program because I was upset about having to deal with the alt-left politics present in the curriculum. I took the review down because I decided it wasn't fair to the employees who provided so much support for me during my time there. Looking back, my verdict now is that Turing was a pretty valuable experience - if anything, because it allowed me to become more resilient and understand that I'm much more capable than I thought I was. The only things I wish they would change are to not have politics in the program, and to teach a more marketable stack of languages (Python/Django/PHP/Kubernetes/Docker/JIRA) instead of Ruby on Rails/Knex/Node.JS since those languages aren't really used in the industry anymore.

Shout outs to Ian, Sal, Dione and Allison for being a pillar of support for me during the more challenging parts of the program. If you're thinking about applying to Turing, 100% do their free try coding events, and be sure you are ready to work harder than you ever have in your life for 7-10 months. You will get out of Turing exactly what you put into it.

• Justin P  User Photo
    Justin P • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I myself tried to learn through self-teaching avenues, and I found that there is an obsurd amount of content out there. So much so that it's hard to get a clear path of what you want to learn and should learn, let alone what foundational skills are needed before learning something else.

I had choices of choosing a school in Virginia/DC and with family in Denver I also could attend there. After weeks of research I decided upon Turing and based my decision on several factors: 1) Length of the program was huge, I knew that if I wanted to make a life change that it couldn't simply be done in a 6week course. 2) Reviews from the alumni students, where several students had glowing reviews of their experience attending the school. 3) Being a non-profit was huge! I knew that not having to impress investors and having only one location that this school cared about the success of both students and staff.

I'm so proud to call myself an alum of Turing. I couldn't even dream of a better teaching staff! Each and every teacher had their own little quirks that made grind of bootcamp worth while and fun. Not only the teachers but the supporting staff also played a big role in our community, helping students through thick and thin and bringing everyone together as collective of aspiring developers. Turing believes changing the Tech landscape one dev at a time and strives to help us find our own way to make the world a better place, piece by piece.

Although you could certainly find the resources to any bootcamp available online and self-teach, it really helps to have a strong and thriving community to help you get through the turmoil and applaud your little victories. If I could go back I would do it all over again. BIG SHOUTOUT to all of the staff on the Frontend Engineering team (the program I took) for helping me and all of your other students to become confident developers and reach our potential. I love you all, peace out ☮️

• Nathan Froehlich  User Photo
    Nathan Froehlich • Contract Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I'm a former electrical engineer that graduated the front end program on 11-19-2019 and this is by far the best thing I have ever done. I have the skills to be able to go after big goals and I can literally get a job anywhere in the world with internet.

Turing has been way more valuable that engineering college and does so much more to prepare you for a real job, not some BS a college professor thinks is fancy on a resume. Turing instructors are real developers and they are always changing the classes to keep up with the times so you always learn the newest technology and best practices, and every week through Turing they ask for advice on how to improve the program.

Turing is a 7 month course made up of 4 modules aka "mods", each mod is 6 weeks of FULL time work. You will be working over 70 hours a week so I recommend getting yourself situated and say goodby to your friends and family for 7 months, but it goes by incredibly fast and by the time you get out you will feel totally capable of getting and developer job.

So far I'm working a contract job and looking for a full time position but the CEO of the company I'm working with said this about a team of myself and 2 other Turing grads from my class 'Holy shit, these guys are like, legit!'.

• Life changing
    - 10/15/2019
    Rose  User Photo
    Rose • Front-end Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

After a lot of research on teachers, curriculum, course length, and alumni feedback, I decided to go to Turing.  It was everything I had anticipated and more: teachers who truly cared about their students understanding what they were doing and often going above and beyond to help out, a well thoughtout curriculum, and some of the hardest work I've ever put into anything.  Turing is incredibly challenging, but it prepares you for what's to come when you start working as a developer in the real world.  It was through school connections that I also got my first and second jobs, and I couldn't be happier.  A side benefit of going to the school has been all of the life-long friendships I made along the way.  Turing is truly a family, and I'm incredibly grateful for what I got out of my experience there.

• Corey S  User Photo
    Corey S • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

After following the advice of a good friend and mentor of mine, I began my Turing journey in January '19. This friend had gone to another bootcamp five years prior, and recommended Turing due to the positive experiences that he had in hiring several Turing graduates himself.

I knew that Turing would be challenging, and it certainly lived up to that expectation - in fact, I would say that it’s the most challenging thing that I have done up to this point. That being said, I also believe that it is going to be the most rewarding thing that I have done.

Turing takes an iterative and agile approach to its curriculum, making changes and improvements as necessary to ensure that you are learning what you need to know as you prepare to enter the real world as a junior developer. From an outsider’s perspective, this same friend and mentor was impressed by the amount of content which was covered, and the things that we were being exposed to.

All of the instructors that I had were great - each bringing different experiences and backgrounds to the classroom. While many places may talk about culture, at Turing I experienced a strong sense of community, and a feeling that I was taking part in something special.

Seven months after starting at Turing, I was fortunate enough to graduate with a signed job offer. While I feel confident that I now have the needed skills to start my career as a software developer, I think the fact that I went to Turing likely helped me in the process of securing a job - as many companies who have hired a Turing graduate have had positive experiences.

Kudos to Jeff and the rest of Turing team for the great program that they have built, and many thanks to the Turing Alumni who are paving the way for graduates like me to find that first developer job.

If you are up for the challenge and ready to fully commit to a program like this - then I would absolutely recommend looking into Turing.

Response From: Jeff Casimir of Turing
    Title: Executive Director
    Thursday, Aug 29 2019
    Having that signed job offer at graduation is living the dream, for sure. Thanks for being a part of Turing!
  • Sekhar Paladugu  User Photo
    Sekhar Paladugu • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Hi, I'm Sekhar, I graduated from Turing about 3.5 years ago and enrolled back in August 2015 when Turing was pretty new. I graduated from college in 2012 with a BA in History, and spent three years working in sales and marketing in both California and Colorado. In the summer of 2015, I quit my job and decided to go to Turing to become a software engineer. Course Report actually interviewed me back when I was a student, so for my detail on my story check that out here:

Turing changed my life. I came from a sales and marketing background, having majored in the humanities in undergrad, and I got a second shot at trying out a technical career years after I left undergrad. Programming has been such a joy at a deep level, and I'm totally satisfied in my current career, which is something I was unable to say whatsoever in my first three jobs out of college. Turing allowed me to build the basic skill set and learning patterns that is the foundation of my engineering career.

I now work as a Software Engineer at a fast-growing startup based in New York, and I work remotely from my home in Denver. I've been at the same company for three years and the time has flown by. On every vector, my current career is the polar opposite of my time in sales and marketing. My work is engaging, an intellectual challenge, my hours are flexible, I can easily work remote, I get paid more than triple my last job in marketing... the list could go on.

Every day I feel grateful for the fact that this surreal experience of getting paid to solve problems, collaborate with colleagues, build my craft in coding, and more is what I get paid to do! One myth about engineering that I'm so glad is untrue is that you work alone and don't work with other people. I'm a social animal and extreme extrovert, and every day I'm working with at least a half-dozen colleagues, and if I wanted to, all my work could be pair programmed. Meaning, there's no solo work in many cases unless you seek it.

I'm so glad that my apprehension in college that this wasn't for me didn't lead me to never try out coding. I was so fortunate that at a crossroads in my career early on bootcamps came up as an alternative model and I didn't have to go into six figures of debt to go back for a second bachelors, only to then try out and see if this career was for me.

I talk plenty in my Course Report interview above about the school, educational quality, and various other experiences at Turing, so I don't want to cover that redunantly here. It was a five-star operation all around. There were certainly roadbumps, and running any complex organization you'll encounter those. Overall though, I'm totally satisfied. I can hopefully give a bit of a window in sides of the post-Turing life that aren't covered as much in these reviews, since I'm four years out from when I started.

I paid off my loans for living costs and tuition (~$40k total) from Turing within about ~18 months. Changing careers allowed me to save for retirement, buy a home, have the wedding I wanted (and plan said wedding, given my flexible remote schedule!), and have a solid future ahead of me in an in-demand career I love and that gets me excited to come to work every week. I no longer have the Sunday blues before a terrible week of office politics and aggressive deadlines with unreasonable goals.

Four years out, I'm now highly competitive as a candidate in the engineering job market. While getting the first job can be tough, once you have a few years under your belt, you will see what the term "career capital" really means. We have a #salaries Slack channel where folks post their job offers, raises, promotions, and more. My pay has increased over 50% from when I first started working as a Software Engineer three years ago fresh out of Turing (70k to 117.5k). In past jobs, no matter what track record I had, getting a raise of even 2-5k could be brutal, and there was a line of candidates out the door to replace me in every job I left.

Having been in a former career where it was a struggle to get entry- and mid-level experience and to get any company to call you back, I feel grateful for the feeling of security I have working as an engineer and having recruiters reach out to me almost daily. I've put my resume on Hired and Vettery recently (headhunting services for engineers) and get so many requests from companies I've had to take down my candidacy after getting a dozen plus inquiries within a week, for job offers substantially above what I already make.

My parting piece of advice is, if you are strongly considering going to a code school like Turing, I'd say just make the jump and don't second guess yourself. The field of software development is growing rapidly, and it's a great fit for many different types of people, backgrounds and skill sets. I've seen many hesitate and pass up the chance to really change their lives due to fear of the unknown. I've been through this myself and all I can say is I highly encourage folks to make the leap and become a software engineer (and, of course, go to Turing!).

Response From: Jeff Casimir of Turing
    Title: Executive Director
    Thursday, Aug 29 2019
    Your work always comes down to your persistence. The industry is better off for having you in it: working, advocating, and making things better.

Turing Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 67 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Turing CIRR report here