turing-logo

Turing

Denver

Turing

Turing School of Software & Design is a 7-month, full-time training program in Denver, CO turning driven students into professional developers. Students who take their Back End Engineering Program or their front End Engineering Program will be surrounded by a supportive team dedicated to their career success. Turing's mission is to unlock human potential by training a diverse, inclusive student body to succeed in high-fulfillment technical careers, while Turing's vision is a world powered by technology where the people building it represent the people using it. Turing is the brainchild of Jeff Casimir and Jumpstart Labs (you might recognize these names from Hungry Academy and gSchool, among other achievements). The staff at Turing emphasizes their educational experience, not just their years as developers, and promises that successful graduates of the school will be valuable contributors to the company they choose to work for through community-driven education. The application process is rolling and requires a resume, writing sample, video response, and logic challenge. Students in the Turing program will learn TDD with Ruby, Ruby Web Applications with Sinatra & Rails, Professional Web Applications, and High-Performance Applications with APIs and Services. In addition, Turing now accepts the GI Bill and offers M-1 visa assistance.

Recent Turing Reviews: Rating 4.77

all (159) reviews for Turing →

Recent Turing News

Read all (54) articles about Turing →
  • Back-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Ruby, SQL
    LocationDenver
    Moving from the basics of object-oriented programming and software execution to building database-backed web applications in Sinatra and Rails, our Back-End Engineering program provides the fundamental skills to launch your career in programming.
    Deposit$1,000
    Tuition PlansAlternative Financing available for students who are not approved by our lending partners.
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship
  • Front-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, User Experience Design, CSS, Express.js, Front End
    LocationDenver
    Our front-end program provides the necessary skills to build a career in front-end development. From UX/UI principles to strong foundations on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, our curriculum provides the framework and tools to build effective desktop, mobile and web applications.
    Deposit$1,000
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship

• Jason Pilz  User Photo
    Jason Pilz • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After the course of many career changes, and once I decided to pursue programming, I began spending a fair amount of time researching coding programs. From what I found, Turing seemed to be the longest, and most positively-reviewed of the 'bootcamps'. I knew I did not want to spend only 2-3 months to try to learn a new career, especially something as deep as software development. So I took a chance on Turing, which was (for me) the far more expensive and difficult path. This was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I went 'all-in' when committing to the Turing program, and what I found was that they did the same to make you the best software developer possible. I learned more in 7 months than I though possible. The staff and instructors are top-notch, and the community is incredibly strong. 2 months after graduation I began my first software position and have been highly fulfilled ever since. I feel Turing exceeded my expectations in every way for preparing me in the best career change I have ever made.

• Tyla Gillings  User Photo
    Tyla Gillings • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    7 month, Backend or Frontend specific programs. I participated in the Backend program. Backend focuses on Ruby on Rails, API's, TDD, CI/CD, Agile processes, Career Development, and Professional Development. Really amazing school that really cares about student success all the way through getting your first dev job.
  • Nick Nist  User Photo
    Nick Nist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    In my 'past life' as a middle school teacher, I was looking for an organization that would accelerate my career in front end engineering while putting their people first. This includes students, instructors, staff, and everyone involved. Turing is a place to truly be yourself while you learn. Turing is also place where you will lean into discomfort and talk about the ethics of AI and what your code could REALLY impact. Once I attended a Try Turing I didn't even look at any other coding schools. I knew this was the one.
  • Beyond worth it!
    - 1/23/2020
    Vanessa Randall  User Photo
    Vanessa Randall • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Of all the bootcamp style programs, this is by far the most in depth and beneficial. After seeing friends go through the program and after a few years they were still employed and happy, I knew I was going to get the support I needed as someone who was completely new to tech. The curriculum is insanely fast paced, but ingrains a tenacious work ethic, and leaves you with the confidence and abilities to teach yourself anything new. Most bootcamp style programs don't teach their students anywhere near as much of the content that Turing provided me with. The community is so supportive, and the rapid growth of the program is proving to thoroughly benefit their graduates. Everyone I have met in the Turing alumni network has said attending Turing was the best decision they have ever made. Turing provides their students with the materials and resources they need to succeed, and I have no doubts in my worth as a junior coming into the field.

• Michael Clampett  User Photo
    Michael Clampett • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Software is a very difficult field to enter because you're competing with other bootcamp graduates and people who have Computer Science backgrounds. Every job in the marketplace wants 3-5 years of experience and your resume gets thrown into a pile of 400 other applicants. If you understand this, you can still succeed at Turing. They do a pretty good job of letting students know the jobs aren't going to miraculously land in your lap - you will have to work incredibly hard, excruciatingly hard, to land that sweet gig at the end.

Originally I wrote a pretty negative review of the program because I was upset about having to deal with the alt-left politics present in the curriculum. I took the review down because I decided it wasn't fair to the employees who provided so much support for me during my time there. Looking back, my verdict now is that Turing was a pretty valuable experience - if anything, because it allowed me to become more resilient and understand that I'm much more capable than I thought I was. The only things I wish they would change are to not have politics in the program, and to teach a more marketable stack of languages (Python/Django/PHP/Kubernetes/Docker/JIRA) instead of Ruby on Rails/Knex/Node.JS since those languages aren't really used in the industry anymore.

Shout outs to Ian, Sal, Dione and Allison for being a pillar of support for me during the more challenging parts of the program. If you're thinking about applying to Turing, 100% do their free try coding events, and be sure you are ready to work harder than you ever have in your life for 7-10 months. You will get out of Turing exactly what you put into it.

• Justin P  User Photo
    Justin P • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I myself tried to learn through self-teaching avenues, and I found that there is an obsurd amount of content out there. So much so that it's hard to get a clear path of what you want to learn and should learn, let alone what foundational skills are needed before learning something else.

I had choices of choosing a school in Virginia/DC and with family in Denver I also could attend there. After weeks of research I decided upon Turing and based my decision on several factors: 1) Length of the program was huge, I knew that if I wanted to make a life change that it couldn't simply be done in a 6week course. 2) Reviews from the alumni students, where several students had glowing reviews of their experience attending the school. 3) Being a non-profit was huge! I knew that not having to impress investors and having only one location that this school cared about the success of both students and staff.

I'm so proud to call myself an alum of Turing. I couldn't even dream of a better teaching staff! Each and every teacher had their own little quirks that made grind of bootcamp worth while and fun. Not only the teachers but the supporting staff also played a big role in our community, helping students through thick and thin and bringing everyone together as collective of aspiring developers. Turing believes changing the Tech landscape one dev at a time and strives to help us find our own way to make the world a better place, piece by piece.

Although you could certainly find the resources to any bootcamp available online and self-teach, it really helps to have a strong and thriving community to help you get through the turmoil and applaud your little victories. If I could go back I would do it all over again. BIG SHOUTOUT to all of the staff on the Frontend Engineering team (the program I took) for helping me and all of your other students to become confident developers and reach our potential. I love you all, peace out ☮️

• Nathan Froehlich  User Photo
    Nathan Froehlich • Contract Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I'm a former electrical engineer that graduated the front end program on 11-19-2019 and this is by far the best thing I have ever done. I have the skills to be able to go after big goals and I can literally get a job anywhere in the world with internet.

Turing has been way more valuable that engineering college and does so much more to prepare you for a real job, not some BS a college professor thinks is fancy on a resume. Turing instructors are real developers and they are always changing the classes to keep up with the times so you always learn the newest technology and best practices, and every week through Turing they ask for advice on how to improve the program.

Turing is a 7 month course made up of 4 modules aka "mods", each mod is 6 weeks of FULL time work. You will be working over 70 hours a week so I recommend getting yourself situated and say goodby to your friends and family for 7 months, but it goes by incredibly fast and by the time you get out you will feel totally capable of getting and developer job.

So far I'm working a contract job and looking for a full time position but the CEO of the company I'm working with said this about a team of myself and 2 other Turing grads from my class 'Holy shit, these guys are like, legit!'.

• Tough and Rewarding
    - 10/15/2019
    Katy Welyczko  User Photo
    Katy Welyczko • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had wanted to attend Turing for a long time. After watching some friends go through and succeed I talked to my husband about it and I jumped in. I was treading water for seven months, and I began to swim VERY slowly.

I now have more grit than I thought possible. I've stuck with things I never thought I could do and now I'm getting paid doing what I've always loved to do. Turing is the best and most challenging thing I've ever done. I still keep in touch with my cohort mates who are killing it in the business as well. I highly recommend Turing for anyone looking to change their life.

• Life changing
    - 10/15/2019
    Rose  User Photo
    Rose • Front-end Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

After a lot of research on teachers, curriculum, course length, and alumni feedback, I decided to go to Turing.  It was everything I had anticipated and more: teachers who truly cared about their students understanding what they were doing and often going above and beyond to help out, a well thoughtout curriculum, and some of the hardest work I've ever put into anything.  Turing is incredibly challenging, but it prepares you for what's to come when you start working as a developer in the real world.  It was through school connections that I also got my first and second jobs, and I couldn't be happier.  A side benefit of going to the school has been all of the life-long friendships I made along the way.  Turing is truly a family, and I'm incredibly grateful for what I got out of my experience there.

• Corey S  User Photo
    Corey S • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

After following the advice of a good friend and mentor of mine, I began my Turing journey in January '19. This friend had gone to another bootcamp five years prior, and recommended Turing due to the positive experiences that he had in hiring several Turing graduates himself.

I knew that Turing would be challenging, and it certainly lived up to that expectation - in fact, I would say that it’s the most challenging thing that I have done up to this point. That being said, I also believe that it is going to be the most rewarding thing that I have done.

Turing takes an iterative and agile approach to its curriculum, making changes and improvements as necessary to ensure that you are learning what you need to know as you prepare to enter the real world as a junior developer. From an outsider’s perspective, this same friend and mentor was impressed by the amount of content which was covered, and the things that we were being exposed to.

All of the instructors that I had were great - each bringing different experiences and backgrounds to the classroom. While many places may talk about culture, at Turing I experienced a strong sense of community, and a feeling that I was taking part in something special.

Seven months after starting at Turing, I was fortunate enough to graduate with a signed job offer. While I feel confident that I now have the needed skills to start my career as a software developer, I think the fact that I went to Turing likely helped me in the process of securing a job - as many companies who have hired a Turing graduate have had positive experiences.

Kudos to Jeff and the rest of Turing team for the great program that they have built, and many thanks to the Turing Alumni who are paving the way for graduates like me to find that first developer job.

If you are up for the challenge and ready to fully commit to a program like this - then I would absolutely recommend looking into Turing.

Thursday, Aug 29 2019
    Having that signed job offer at graduation is living the dream, for sure. Thanks for being a part of Turing!
  • Sekhar Paladugu  User Photo
    Sekhar Paladugu • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Hi, I'm Sekhar, I graduated from Turing about 3.5 years ago and enrolled back in August 2015 when Turing was pretty new. I graduated from college in 2012 with a BA in History, and spent three years working in sales and marketing in both California and Colorado. In the summer of 2015, I quit my job and decided to go to Turing to become a software engineer. Course Report actually interviewed me back when I was a student, so for my detail on my story check that out here:

Turing changed my life. I came from a sales and marketing background, having majored in the humanities in undergrad, and I got a second shot at trying out a technical career years after I left undergrad. Programming has been such a joy at a deep level, and I'm totally satisfied in my current career, which is something I was unable to say whatsoever in my first three jobs out of college. Turing allowed me to build the basic skill set and learning patterns that is the foundation of my engineering career.

I now work as a Software Engineer at a fast-growing startup based in New York, and I work remotely from my home in Denver. I've been at the same company for three years and the time has flown by. On every vector, my current career is the polar opposite of my time in sales and marketing. My work is engaging, an intellectual challenge, my hours are flexible, I can easily work remote, I get paid more than triple my last job in marketing... the list could go on.

Every day I feel grateful for the fact that this surreal experience of getting paid to solve problems, collaborate with colleagues, build my craft in coding, and more is what I get paid to do! One myth about engineering that I'm so glad is untrue is that you work alone and don't work with other people. I'm a social animal and extreme extrovert, and every day I'm working with at least a half-dozen colleagues, and if I wanted to, all my work could be pair programmed. Meaning, there's no solo work in many cases unless you seek it.

I'm so glad that my apprehension in college that this wasn't for me didn't lead me to never try out coding. I was so fortunate that at a crossroads in my career early on bootcamps came up as an alternative model and I didn't have to go into six figures of debt to go back for a second bachelors, only to then try out and see if this career was for me.

I talk plenty in my Course Report interview above about the school, educational quality, and various other experiences at Turing, so I don't want to cover that redunantly here. It was a five-star operation all around. There were certainly roadbumps, and running any complex organization you'll encounter those. Overall though, I'm totally satisfied. I can hopefully give a bit of a window in sides of the post-Turing life that aren't covered as much in these reviews, since I'm four years out from when I started.

I paid off my loans for living costs and tuition (~$40k total) from Turing within about ~18 months. Changing careers allowed me to save for retirement, buy a home, have the wedding I wanted (and plan said wedding, given my flexible remote schedule!), and have a solid future ahead of me in an in-demand career I love and that gets me excited to come to work every week. I no longer have the Sunday blues before a terrible week of office politics and aggressive deadlines with unreasonable goals.

Four years out, I'm now highly competitive as a candidate in the engineering job market. While getting the first job can be tough, once you have a few years under your belt, you will see what the term "career capital" really means. We have a #salaries Slack channel where folks post their job offers, raises, promotions, and more. My pay has increased over 50% from when I first started working as a Software Engineer three years ago fresh out of Turing (70k to 117.5k). In past jobs, no matter what track record I had, getting a raise of even 2-5k could be brutal, and there was a line of candidates out the door to replace me in every job I left.

Having been in a former career where it was a struggle to get entry- and mid-level experience and to get any company to call you back, I feel grateful for the feeling of security I have working as an engineer and having recruiters reach out to me almost daily. I've put my resume on Hired and Vettery recently (headhunting services for engineers) and get so many requests from companies I've had to take down my candidacy after getting a dozen plus inquiries within a week, for job offers substantially above what I already make.

My parting piece of advice is, if you are strongly considering going to a code school like Turing, I'd say just make the jump and don't second guess yourself. The field of software development is growing rapidly, and it's a great fit for many different types of people, backgrounds and skill sets. I've seen many hesitate and pass up the chance to really change their lives due to fear of the unknown. I've been through this myself and all I can say is I highly encourage folks to make the leap and become a software engineer (and, of course, go to Turing!).

Thursday, Aug 29 2019
    Your work always comes down to your persistence. The industry is better off for having you in it: working, advocating, and making things better.
  • Ricardo   User Photo
    Ricardo • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

And that makes all the difference in the world.

The fact that Turing has an eval system at the end of each module that is a simple pass or fail is ultimately what separates Turing from any other coding camp that I've yet encountered. They will make you repeat a module and if you cannot make it through the second time around then you are simply asked to leave. This is key

Imagine being in class and feeling that pit of insecurity that you might not make it through the program. What if I wasted my time? Did I waste my money? What if I'm not smart enough? What if I've been lying to myself? Do I really deserve this? This isn't going to work! Now imagine how loud those questions become should Turing, in fact, hold you back a module. It happened to me.

That was by far the biggest challenge that I and believe many others actually contend with while at Turing. I'm convinced those who failed to make it through the program are those who let those questions overwhelm their thoughts. It's also why I believe your average Turing grad is stronger than most any other boot camp or CS degree grad.

This is why I'm currently working as a software developer at Salesforce. This is how I had the confidence to step into an hour-long whiteboarding session with an interviewer who has a PhD in CS, followed by 3 more hours of back to back to back coding and culture fit interviews. This is why I'm not having trouble keeping up with my co-workers, some of whom graduated with masters degrees in CS from Cal Poly, School of Mines or Stanford to name a few.

I'm still terrified. I still deal with imposter syndrome on a daily basis. I still doubt most everything that I say or do while at work. But I know I can deal with it. I can deal with it because of what Turing forced me to work through. I shudder to think of walking into this office without having already faced those inner demons.

Thank you, Turing. You fundamentally altered the course and direction of my life and more importantly the lives of my family. You've given me security by making me face insecurity. You set a standard that for myself that I'm still trying hard to reach.

For those of you who read this far...

You might fail. It's what makes Turing worth it.

Thursday, Aug 29 2019
    People might fairly assume we're most proud of the superstars who dominate every challenge. But they're not really the point of the work. They could have learned by reading books or getting a masters in CS. There's so much more pride when we get to support and watch somebody struggle, doubt, find their determination, and finally succeed. That's when you know we've really done something together. I'll always remember your kiddo's "first steps" video in the Turing hallway. Go build her an amazing future.
  • Carrie Walsh  User Photo
    Carrie Walsh • data engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

When I decided to make the change from teaching to programming, originally I wanted to do an apprenticeship in Boulder. Then a friend made me go to a Try Coding for Teachers. I knew right away that I had met my people.

Fast-forward and I'm graduating today. It's so surreal. Turing provides such a unique experience and you can feel how much they care and want you to succeed. Don't get me wrong, it is a difficult 7 months. There are a lot of late nights and a lot of times you reach a wall and can't see how to get over it. But the skills they provide you to plan and climb those hurdles is beyond what I expected. I've felt nothing but support and the community both in the basement and beyond is more than I could have hoped for.

The more you put into your time at Turing, the more you get out of it.

Thursday, Aug 29 2019
    There are some people who have this inexplicable light about them. When everything is hard, when everything is broken, they're somehow the ones that remind people "WE CAN DO THIS." Thank you for sharing your light with our community and lifting up everyone around you.

Turing Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 67 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Turing CIRR report here