turing-logo

Turing

Denver

Turing

Turing School of Software & Design is a federally accredited, 7-month, full-time online training program based in Denver, CO turning driven students into professional developers. Students who take their Back End Engineering Program or their Front End Engineering Program will be surrounded by a supportive team dedicated to their career success. Turing's mission is to unlock human potential by training a diverse, inclusive student body to succeed in high-fulfillment technical careers, while Turing's vision is a world powered by technology where the people building it represent the people using it. Turing is the brainchild of Jeff Casimir and Jumpstart Labs (you might recognize these names from Hungry Academy and gSchool, among other achievements). The staff at Turing emphasizes their educational experience, not just their years as developers, and promises that successful graduates of the school will be valuable contributors to the company they choose to work for through community-driven education.

The application process is rolling and requires written answers to reflection questions, and a logic challenge. Students in the Turing program will learn TDD with Ruby, Ruby Web Applications with Sinatra & Rails, Professional Web Applications, and High-Performance Applications with APIs and Services. In addition, Turing now accepts the GI Bill and offers M-1 visa assistance.

Recent Turing Reviews: Rating 4.79

all (199) reviews for Turing →

Recent Turing News

Read all (60) articles about Turing →
  • Back-End Engineering

Ruby, Rails, Git, CSS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Sinatra, SQL
    LocationDenver
    Moving from the basics of object-oriented programming and software execution to building database-backed web applications in Sinatra and Rails, our Back-End Engineering program provides the fundamental skills to launch your career in programming.
    Deposit$1,200
    Tuition PlansAlternative Financing available for students who are not approved by our lending partners.
    Refund / GuaranteeDeposit is fully refundable. Students may return their issued laptop for a refund of the deposit. Tuition is refundable on a pro rata basis.
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship
  • Front-End Engineering

LocationDenver
    Students in our Front-End Engineering program build the skills and knowledge to be a professional front end developer. They start by building a solid foundation with JavaScript and HTML/CSS, then layer on React and related libraries. They mix in some APIs and data storage, and FEE students are building production-ready web applications.
    Deposit$1,200
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship
  • Calaway  User Photo
    Calaway • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I'm seven months into my first job outside of Turing, and I can tell you it's the best decision I've ever made in my life.

This CodeNewbie podcast interview with Turing's founder, Jeff Casimir, is what drew me to the school originally: https://www.codenewbie.org/podcast/the-not-bootcamp. I would highly recommend giving it a listen. Jeff was a tenured educator who started his career teaching with Teach for America before founding one of the very first immersive code schools, Hungry Academy, before the term bootcamp was even applied to them. Hungry Academy had a specific purpose and once that was completed Jeff co-founded G-School (now Galvanize) and then went on to start Turing as a non-profit organization.

Here are just a handful of things that sets Turing apart:

• They are a non-profit organization.
    • The curriculum is exemplary. They keep all the best practices and material from their many years of experience, and then also continue to iterate on it for continual improvement.
    • The community and alumni network is filled with incredible people who are all willing to help one another, be it with mentorship, helping set up a job interview at their work, or even just to meet for coffee and talk shop.
    • They have a great focus on diversity, which the tech industry will benefit greatly from.
    • They teach more than just code; they teach process. When you get to your first job out of Turing you'll know how incredibly important this is. In this industry the hot new programming language or framework changes quickly, but good, solid process is consistent and you'll be able to use it wherever you end up.
  • Chris Concannon  User Photo
    Chris Concannon • Project Associate - Software Engineering • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I think the investment of time and money into Turing is worthwhile, but I was fortunate enough to complete the program without repeating any modules. This isn't true for a huge portion of students. I think that anyone applying to Turing needs to know that, from what I've seen, it is one of the more difficult coding schools out there. They'll throw students in the deep end and let them drown for a while, but help is there when anyone asks. Students struggle together and create a support network for each other. Every single week has at least 50-60 hours of commitment between project work time and class time. It can be more than that during the final week or two of each module. When I say it's hard, I mean that in order to succeed, you need to expect to take a break from everything else in your life.

I also like to mention that although Turing is very transparent about reporting their graduation and placement statistics, their metrics measuring these numbers have changed multiple times in the past couple years. In general, they have declined. For example, when I decided that I would apply to code schools in late 2015, Turing claimed to accept 8-14% of their applicants while placing well over 90% in careers that paid on average more than $80,000/year within 3 months of graduation. They also offered a tuition reimbursement guarantee if you didn't get an offer of at least $65,000/year in the first couple months after graduating. These are written in my notes from code school research, and they came from Turing's website in 2015. Those numbers have continuously declined, both while I was a student and after I graduated. They stopped guaranteeing tuition reimbursement just before I started in May 2016. The code school market is much more competitive now.

I still think Turing is a great life-changing experience. Is it worth the investment? Depends what you must sacrifice to get there. I obviously can't speak for the other coding schools, but Turing has competitors that claim better job placement, better starting salaries, and even competitors that don't make you pay any tuition until your first offer comes along. If you're located in Denver, I believe Turing would be a solid (and probably the best) choice. If you're planning to move in order to attend Turing, I'd weigh more options and look thoroughly at each one.

One additional component worth mentioning is that Turing takes to heart it's mission of developing not just skilled developers, but developers that are aware of social issues and how the web development world is engaged with, or impacts these issues. Everything from the gender wage gap, to accessibility for disabled persons, to examination of workplace stereotypes is covered in school-programmed discussions and activities. I don't know that this element exists at other coding schools. I appreciate what I gained from engagement in these discussions.

• Life Changing
    - 5/18/2017
    Lacey  User Photo
    Lacey • UI/UX Designer and Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Deciding to apply for, and attend Turing School was quite honestly the BEST decision I've ever made not only professionally, but personally. When you attend Turing you receive a top notch education from incredibly passionate instructors and staff, make a group of lifelong friends and mentors, and leave with a supportive network of web developers, and most likely an incredibly fulfilling job and career.

Keep in mind, this program is not for the faint of heart. It's really really hard and there will be a handful times when you question whether or not you can do it and even if you've made the right decision. You'll spend hours sitting at a computer not seeing the light of the day, feeling like you're going to pull your hair out and I'd be lying if I said it gets easier as you get further through the program. It doesn't. But, the light at the end of the tunnel is having a solid skill set of web development and the ability to shift or expand upon your current career.

I graduated from the Front-End Engineering program (as the second cohort) where I gained a strong fundamental knowledge of front-end languages, libraries, and frameworks and accepted a job offer 2 weeks before graduation. And although they needed some adjustments to the curriculum when I attended, they had already started to implement big changes by the time I graduated. Aside from the curriculum, you also receive an invaluable education on soft skills, the impact you can have in the world of technology, and how to be a strong member of a community.

Overall, Turing was a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone who thinks web development is something they could truly be passionate about, who wants to pivot their career or, like me, expand on the one they already have.

• Matt  User Photo
    Matt • Ruby on Rails Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I love my classmates and hope we're friends forever. I got a job that pays better than anyone could reasonably expect and much more importantly that I actually enjoy. I learned a lot during my time at Turing, both technically and about the world.

There were some things I didn't like about Turing. But what can you remove? The worst experiences were the ones that brought me closer together to my cohort and the other students.

The main reason I went for a lengthy face-to-face training was to learn things that wouldn't be in a curriculum or textbook, and to get a leg up in job hunting. I think Turing delivered on both big time. I see others rate the job assistance lower, and certainly it could be better. But I got leads. Good ones. And I feel like I got into the right group of people and we can continue to find each other work for hopefully many years to come.

Turing was an interesting life experience, I like showing up to work now, and I met some great people. Good luck in your journey.

• Jeremy • Software Engineer • Graduate
    Turing fully prepared me for a career as a software engineer including job support and advertising student work to employers. The curriculum is holistic enough to fully prepare students to tackle computer science concepts in any language or framework, but accelerated enough to not get hung up on academic technicalities. I highly recommend Turing's BE course for anyone considering a career as a software engineer.
  • Joshua H • Frontend Software Engineer • Graduate
    I graduated early this year, and I can't begin to express how much this program has helped me. Beyond teaching me to code, Turing provided valuable professional skills that allowed me to find a job quickly after graduating. When I was going through the program, I often treated professional development as a secondary priority; now, having graduated, I understand why there was such an emphasis on it.

To be clear: this program is not easy. Turing is a full-time commitment that will challenge you daily, and it can often feel overwhelming. However, this difficulty is mitigated by a faculty of skilled, friendly, and encouraging instructors that want nothing more than for you to succeed. Even remotely, Turing has an environment of shared success where students and faculty alike celebrate each other's wins, motivate one another to overcome hurdles, and work together to solve complex coding issues.

It's hard to imagine that one year ago, I didn't even know how to declare a JavaScript variable; yet today, I am working as a full-time software engineer for an established company. The best part? I love it! I never could have landed such a fulfilling and financially rewarding job without Turing.

If you consider applying, rest assured that it will be worth it. It will be hard, but it will be worth it. Attending Turing was, in all senses, truly life-changing.
  • Angela Guardia • Software Engineer • Graduate
    While considering a few schools, Turing caught my eye for two reasons:
    1. I considered it the “best bang for my buck” - it is the longest bootcamp I could find (7 month) at similar prices to much shorter bootcamps
    2. It is a non-profit which made me feel confident that they would prioritize student success over revenue

I was right on both counts. The length of the bootcamp allowed me to really dig deep into topics that some bootcamps don’t cover like a heavy focus on testing, developer empathy, and personal career development. Additionally, the ethos of the school was a good fit for me. The curriculum is designed to not leave anyone behind no matter what educational background you start with.

The result of my experience there was incredible. I was hired as a Software Engineer I by a major social media company a month after graduation and have been successful at my role for over a year now.

I recommend this school to absolutely anyone who is thinking of making this career move. Especially to anyone who is doubtful and maybe doesn’t see themselves as a Software Engineer.
  • Kyle S. • Junior Web Developer • Graduate
    I heard about Turing through a good friend who's an alum. A few of the things that really pulled me in:
    - It's a non-profit so i wasn't concerned with it being a scam
    - I deeply agree with their social mission
    - The social mission means the students self select and are a really solid group to be going through an intense program with
    - The instructors are paid better than other bootcamps and do it because they enjoy helping others learn and succeed
    - Bang for your buck. Many camps are the same price for half the time. 7 months is long but totally worth it.
    - You're setup with a mentor from week one
    - They don't just pass everybody, many students have to repeat mods, but I think this is beneficial
    - Their job and alumni network is extensive
    - They have an on staff therapist and support groups for students struggling with different things

pros
    - Great education that's thorough and from experienced instructors, including more CS education than other bootcamps
    - Focusing on BE or FE allows for a deeper dive into a specific part of the stack
    - The program builds resiliency and resourcefulness(it's not without painful struggle)
    - Made some awesome lifelong friends i still keep in touch with
    - Got a job offer within a month of graduating
    - Healthy focus on non-technical skills like communication, empathy, and genuine collaboration
    - How well they were able to educate and build community via zoom

cons
    - It was incredibly difficult(also super satisfying)
    - Sometimes the line between instructors wanting you to figure it out on your own and not being helpful felt blurred
    - The therapist is only available for Colorado residents

The program is not without it's challenges. I had many long nights troubleshooting staring at a screen in a zoom room with 3-5 group mates. At times I was frustrated that I was trying my hardest and still felt like I wasn't going to succeed. It can be lonely spending so much time staring at a screen when you don't have a lot of other time to be social. The stress and pressure could occasionally be overwhelming(there's also a lot of great support built in too). Instructors wanted you to struggle with the content so sometimes they weren't super helpful(this is in cons because in the moment it's frustrating but overall it's a pro because it made us better programmers).

This program was easily one of the most challenging experiences of my life and also one of the most gratifying. This was much more challenging than my undergrad. The program helped me rediscover a hunger for education(especially collective education) that i'm grateful for.  After Turing I feel more capable and motivated in other aspects of my life. One of the best parts of this program is people in your cohort. My cohort was a super solid crew with really awesome supportive folks. When things were hard I was supportive and also received support. Most cohort mates and myself were offered a job within a month of graduation. I've already recommended this program to friends who aren't satisfied with their jobs and If given the choice i'd do it all over again.
  • Richard • Frontend Engineer • Graduate
    The course was a non-stop thunderdome of learning but it was totally worth it. The instructors and staff are kind, knowledgable, and professional. You'll work somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 hour weeks, but you learn so much that it eventually gets really fun, even when it's stressful. They set you up pretty well with professional coaching and advice and wisdom with your job search. They won't give you a job or anything, but they will teach you how to make a fire resume, and you'll probably impress the interviewers with how much you know at your experience level.
  • Success
    - 7/28/2021
    Rob Morgan • Software Engineer • Graduate
    My overall experience was great.  The instructors were very knowledgeable and mostly great to work with—their feedback was consistently challenging, encouraging, and helpful.  Turing is laser-focused on helping you find a job in the industry and teaching you what you need to know to make it happen.

They’re quite political, which is the part that I could do without.  But without a doubt, their expertise/advice/coaching when it came to finding employment was worth the price.

Turing is difficult and you will be challenged every day—and that’s exactly how it should be.  Don’t settle for an easier curriculum.  Turing is effective because it is difficult—you’ll be required to learn how to program and how to think on your feet.  You won’t believe how much it is possible to learn in a short time.
  • Katy La Tour • Software Engineer • Graduate
    If you would have told me a year or two ago I would be able to transition from the wine industry as a consultant and wine educator into a career in software development in just seven months, I would've probably not believed you and turned down the opportunity. Having done a lot of research and having friends who went through the program and had attested it's curriculum as being a game changer in the tech industry, Turing, in every facet, changed my perspective on what a solid coding school is capable of offering and an assurance for career changers that you, too, will become a successful software developer despite your previous career background.

That being said, Turing School of Software & Design is no walk in the park. As many of the previous reviews allude to, it is a rigorous seven month program designed to teach you everything from the fundamentals of programming within your respective program(either the Front-End or Back-End track) to how to be more than just a software developer and focus on the interpersonal aspects of this industry. Most of this is organically learned and built upon through each module(6 week cycle) by interacting with cohort peers in small and large team projects and learning how to communicate these fundamental concepts to one another given one's perspective and understanding of the material. Aside from the work, there are many groups one can participate in to expand upon one's understanding of the tech industry outside of the Turing School community and how to prepare for the eventual transition from coding school to the job. In many ways, the curriculum at Turing sets you up for success beyond the programming language, and for that, I can honestly say I am truly grateful.

Turing at the end of the day is what you make of it; You get out of it what you put into it. While it certainly challenges you to expand upon different concepts, languages, frameworks, perspectives etc., you are never alone in the journey. The amount of support the community offers from instructors, mentors and alumni, to professional development coaches, community engagement coordinators and, perhaps most importantly, your cohort peers(mainly because you all dive deep into this experience together and are each other's crutches along the way) is unparalleled and unlike anything else you may ever experience. This community was ultimately one of the largest deciding factors for me to choose Turing over any other coding school or bootcamp across the country because of the connections made here are more than a seven month's term; Many of them are lifelong friendships.

Having personally gone through the remote Back-End program, I felt the necessity of leaning on this community and my peers as I progressed through this program. There is this inherit sense of isolation and disconnect in the remote setting, so finding ways to engage with the community more by attending events, setting up coffee meetings to check in with peers and mentors, and finding time to connect with cohort peers outside of class and projects was critical to my success and well being in the remote setting, and made Turing more fun despite being timezones away from one another!

To finish this review, I want to highlight one piece of advice that resonated with me the most throughout my time at Turing and thereafter: Trust the process. Everybody has their own story of how they got to Turing, what their strengths are, where they can improve upon in order to get them pointed in the direction they want to go. The more you choose to waiver and be apprehensive about your ability to do this, the more it will shake your confidence and result in a potential miss on such an awesome opportunity. While it might sound arduous to transition careers and start from a blank slate, just remember, you can do this! You just have to trust in yourself and your ability to persevere and continue pushing forward. Patience will fuel progress if you allow yourself time, an open-minded approach and forgiveness for those roadblocks you may eventually come across during your time at Turing. Learn to be kind to yourself throughout this process and realize that you have a whole team of folks cheering you on. We are all here in your corner to see you succeed!

So, if a wine consultant/wine educator could make the transition in seven months turn-around, what's holding you back?

• Tashia • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I decided to join Turing after I lost my job during the pandemic. It felt risky at the time, but now I truly believe it was the best decision I ever made and I wish I’d done it sooner! I came out of the pandemic with a new career in a high-paying field and am so excited about my future and the opportunities this will bring me.

I chose Turing for 2 main reasons. First, I liked the length (7 months) and the focus on only front end or back end (not both). There is so much to learn as it is and other programs cram full stack into an even shorter amount of time. I started my first job as an engineer already and feel totally prepared for it. Second, the community at Turing really stuck out to me. I love Turing’s mission, I’ve made life long friends there, and the alumni network is SO, so valuable.

Turing Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 68 graduates included in report:

97% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.