turing-logo

Turing

Turing

Turing School of Software & Design is a 7-month, full-time training program in Denver, CO turning driven students into professional developers. Students who take their Back End Engineering Program or their front End Engineering Program will be surrounded by a supportive team dedicated to their career success. Turing's mission is to unlock human potential by training a diverse, inclusive student body to succeed in high-fulfillment technical careers, while Turing's vision is a world powered by technology where the people building it represent the people using it. Turing is the brainchild of Jeff Casimir and Jumpstart Labs (you might recognize these names from Hungry Academy and gSchool, among other achievements). The staff at Turing emphasizes their educational experience, not just their years as developers, and promises that successful graduates of the school will be valuable contributors to the company they choose to work for through community-driven education. The application process is rolling and requires a resume, writing sample, video response, and logic challenge. Students in the Turing program will learn TDD with Ruby, Ruby Web Applications with Sinatra & Rails, Professional Web Applications, and High-Performance Applications with APIs and Services. In addition, Turing now accepts the GI Bill and offers M-1 visa assistance.

Recent Turing Reviews: Rating 4.79

all (148) reviews for Turing →

Recent Turing News

Read all (56) articles about Turing →
  • Back-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Ruby
    Rolling Start Date
    Denver
    Moving from the basics of object-oriented programming and software execution to building database-backed web applications in Sinatra and Rails, our Back-End Engineering program provides the fundamental skills to launch your career in programming.
    Skills Fund (Cost of Living Financing Available)Climb (Cost of Living Financing Available)Earnest
    Alternative Financing available for students who are not approved by our lending partners.
    $4,000 Diversity Scholarship
    Interview
  • Front-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, User Experience Design, CSS, Express.js, Front End
    Rolling Start Date
    Denver
    Our front-end program provides the necessary skills to build a career in front-end development. From UX/UI principles to strong foundations on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, our curriculum provides the framework and tools to build effective desktop, mobile and web applications.
    $4,000 Diversity Scholarship
    Interview

I have mixed feelings about Turing because of what it has become.

On the one hand, it does provide a quality introduction to both the theory underpinning today's technologies and the technologies themselves. On the other hand, the administration preaches a toxic political philosophy that ostracizes people that just happen to be in the majority of the tech industry, but never harmed anyone consciously in doing so. If you're fine with regressive left ideas being thrown in your face everyday, you'll enjoy every day at Turing.

• Orion Osborn • Software Engineer • Graduate

I previously tried to teach myself programming.  I completed a number of online tutorials, I took an intermediate programming course at the University of New Mexico, and I tried building small apps in my free time to try to get enough experience to transition my career to software engineering.  When learning outside a classroom I found that getting stuck over and over again really slowed my progress and became demotivating.  While taking a university course I learned a bit more, but I never got any feedback on my code other than "I'm glad it works".  The Turing School of Software and Design helped to solve these issues in addition to teaching me skills that I use every day on the job.  We received consistent feedback on our code from peers and instructors and were consistently challenged to productively build well structured and tested software.  I struggle to provide any constructive criticism of the school because it truly was the best educational experience of my life.

• Eric • Software Engineer • Graduate

Making a career change is an incredibly difficult decision. I was eight years into a successful career when I finally decided it was time to make a change. After extensive research I put my trust and money in the Turing School led by Jeff Casimir. For anyone who may be in a similar boat and decides to make that jump I can say from my experience that you won't be disappointed with Turing. Jeff runs a challenging program staffed by instructors who are both incredible developers in their own right as well as gifted teachers (a rare blend). You will be putting in a lot of hard hours over the months of the curriculum, but in the end you will most definitely be prepared to step into a developer role.

• David Daniel • Software Developer • Graduate

A year ago, I recognized that I was unhappy with my career and decided to make a change into Software Development. After researching several programs nation-wide, I ultimately settled on Turing for a few reasons:

1. Their emphasis on the importance of pedagogy  2. A (relatively) longer program sounded appealing  3. The reputation of Jeff Casimir within the industry

Overall, I am beyond satisfied with my decision. At the risk of sounding fanatical, it's probably the best choice i've ever made.

As a student, you are surrounded by a wonderfully weird and diverse group of intelligent, driven, and empathetic individuals, all working toward a similar goal. Most of the instructors come from an education background, and do a remarkable job of patiently walking you through very complicated subjects. In addition to the teachers and more 'advanced' students, you also have access to an ever-growing network of mentors that provide one-on-one guidance.

That said, the program is incredibly demanding, and you get out what you put in. It's up to the individual student to fully utilize the resources which are provided, and often you will be thrown into the deep end without much hand-holding or direct guidance. This can be very frustrating at times, but also forces you to learn how to problem solve on your own, creating confidence to tackle problems in a professional setting.

Also a brief warning: DO NOT assume that acceptance into the program guarantees success. People often fail or drop out, and I would strongly encourage anyone considering the program to at least spend some time doing free online tutorials (codeacademy, etc) to get an idea of what you're getting into before making the plunge.

After 7 (very difficult) months, I landed my dream job. If that wasn't such a common occurrence among Turing graduates, it'd be remarkable.

• Michael Dao • Graduate

Full Disclosure: I am currently employed by Turing as an Assistant Instructor.

There's a lot that I can say about Turing, and my experiences there. It would be best to start at the beginning.

Before Turing I was a Systems Engineer at a large company, and I didn't enjoy my work. It was procedural in nature, and I started exploring Ruby to automate some of my work. Like so many others, I found that working in Ruby was actually REALLY fun. After a while I started wondering if I could somehow make a living from this.

I contacted a friend of mine who had done the same thing I had, making a career change to become a developer. I got accepted to a few programs, and wanted her input on them before I made my decision. She said to me that if I wanted to do this right, I should go to Turing. That I should spend seven months there and become a better developer than she was. She put me in contact with an alumnus.

I was not planning on spending seven months unemployed and in school. Denver wasn't even on my radar as a place I'd like to spend seven months. I had never even been to Colorado before. But I asked questions. A lot of questions. And in the answers to the questions, I came to the conclusion that yes, if I wanted to do this right, I would have to go to Turing. It was the structure of how things were laid out that sealed the deal for me. How there were warm ups to get the mind working at the beginning of each day. How there was a mix of work time for projects and class. How Fridays were more about guest speakers, learning new things in a fun way, possibly working on open source.

I applied and got accepted. If you're interested in how that all went, I wrote a lengthy blog post on it. Just Google, "Turing Application Process."

Looking back, there are just SO many adjectives I could use to describe being a student at Turing. I came to Turing thinking that it was just a tool. I would pay my tuition, I would come to class, and in return, I would get knowledge, and a better job after graduation. It turned out to be so much more. It's a community. It consists of the staff here, the students, and our incredibly amazing alumni and mentor network.

As a student, I had a lot of fun. I had a lot of not so fun. I learned an incredible amount. I worked a ton. I felt frustration. I felt triumph. I made incredible lifelong friends. I learned how to code. I learned about other people. I learned about myself.

Much can be said, and much has been said about the instruction and the curriculum, and you can see from the other reviews here actual student outcomes.

Choosing the right program is hard, but there are two imporant points to be made. First is that this is a non-profit. There are no investors or outside interests. Turing is fully committed to students and their success. Second, the staff cares deeply about the students and enabling them to succeed. More so than I suspect anyone can reasonably expect them to. They believe in the mission, they believe in what they are doing, and most importantly, they believe that you can become a developer.

• Great Program
    - 2/24/2016
    Chase van Hekken • Software Engineer • Graduate

Turing was one of the best experiences of my life. I met a bunch of great people and got a pretty good job. I learned a bunch and am doing well at work because of it. It's also worth mentioning that I was in the third cohort, so they were just getting started.

In my opinion, compared to other similar schools, I would have liked to have instructors with more professional experience, compared to teaching experience. But, I think they've done a lot to improve this by now.

I also think there should have been more JavaScript in the curriculum, or a different type of JavaScript curriculum. I thought their curriculum was lacking in this area at the time I attended. Once again, I think they have done a lot to improve this.

Even with those criticisms, I would still go here over most other programs. It was a great school for me as a beginner and I got a good job. They're constantly improving and the results speak for themselves.

• Luke Aiken • Software Developer • Graduate

Attending Turing is a privilege worth more than it's price. Simply put, the return on the investment to attend is reliable and lucrative.

This institution is sincere in its mission. While many schools are accredited, few are accountable to the students they serve. Turing is accountable, both in word and deed.

The instructors and staff are compassionate people. They are unified by the excitement of the educational revolution underway at Turing.

The curriculum is very realistic in its requirements on students; it reflects the demands of the professional world. Furthermore, it is a living curriculum that evolves out of the passion of the instructors. It is relevant.

Complaints? Certainly not in hindsight.

This is an intense container both academically as well as interpersonally. The nature of Turing's endeavour to get you and your classmates where you all need to be under a compressed timeline is such that individual student needs cannot always be satisfied. It is best to be prepared to accept this when entering the program.

• Michelle G • Software Developer • Graduate

When I began Turing I had absolutely no prior experience with programming and that was almost exactly one year ago. Today I am in my sixth month working as a Software Developer for a company that has been rated #1 on Crain's best places to work in Chicago four years in a row. I believe that speaks volumes for Turing's ability to produce quality, hireable, Software Developers in such a short amount of time. I won't repeat all of the well written reviews here but will add a few comments on what stood out the most to me.

The network Turing has built is very impressive and I did not expect going into it that I would be able to hear guest speakers of such high caliber or meet so many amazing members of the Rails community.

While I appreciate the focus on community and other soft skills and personal development I felt it was overkill. If you expect to go into Turing, put your head down and do your own work you will quickly find yourself dissapointed. Students are required to present a portfolio at the end of each Module that proves they have been helpful to their classmates, given back to the community (in ways such as teaching student-led electives or organizing activities for classmates) and participated (in events such as field days or meetups etc). As an introvert I felt this was a lot of added work/stress on top of learning to program.

As others have mentioned the program has outgrown the space it currently occupies but I did not feel it significantly impacted my abilty to learn.

Lastly, of course, it is hard. The amount of effort you are required to put in is extreme by any normal standard (the final assessment for my cohort required us to work 24 hours straight, for example). Make sure you are willing to give 7 months of your life to this experience and take the most from it you possibly can by working hard and utilizing all of the amazing resources Turing will provide. After that ridiculous final assesment when I hadn't slept in over 24 hours and was anxiously awaiting my final grade I received a phone call offering me my current job and I'd say that sums up my experience very well- the hardest and most rewarding thing I've done.

• David • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate

A year ago, I was an accountant with nearly a decade of experience.  I hated my job and was dreading doing it for the rest of my life.  I realized that life was too short to be miserable and decided to quit.  I had no idea what my future held, but I did know that I had an interest in programming.  I had done a few tutorials online and messed around with a few frameworks.  I stumbled across an article online about coding bootcamps and honestly couldn't believe the claims that were made.  I did my due diligence and discovered a substantially longer program that is the Turing School located in Denver.

The extremely intense 7 month program did deliver.  I was not only taught the programming fundamentals I would require but also how best to adapt these skills to new languages and frameworks.  My current job requires an entirely different javascript framework but I was able to pick it up quickly due to the foundation that was built by the Turing curriculum.

Unfortunately, Turing isn't perfect.  While I attended, Fridays were not very structured. They were usually a mishmash of random teambuilding exercises and student led sessions.  I think that time could have been spent better by exploring new frameworks and languages that were not covered during normal classtime.  Most importantly, I would have liked to see those sessions led by instructors.  Also, be prepared for Turing to consume your life while attending.

Nevertheless, In the course of just 1 year I went from hating my job to being employed in a completely different career. Turing absolutely delivered on their promise to create and support a new developer.

• Tess • Graduate

Turing was one of the best environments to learn how to program in. I had very little experience coming into the program, but I didn't feel left behind from the other students who came in with more experience. After the first six weeks, I felt that the levels of students evened out. I truly feel that after attending Turing I can go on to learn any other language/tool set out there.

One of the biggest caveots I will say is that it is hard and a huge time commitment. I was lucky that my husband could support the both of us while attending and was able to stand my being away 50+ hours a week. The seven months of late nights and long hours is also draining. This is the hardest thing I have ever done and the most rewarding. 7 months at Turing was harder than my 4 years of undergrad but certainly more rewarding.

• Mitch • Software Engineer • Graduate

When I had started Turing, I had just graduated college a few weeks prior. I had studied social work in school but realized my senior year that I wanted to go into software development. Rather than spending years furthering my education by traditional means, I decided to apply for Turing.

Turing is hard. Turing is going to push you to your limits in many ways but if you can stick through it you will be a software engineer. I now have an excellent job and they've told me on several occasions that I'm closer to a midlevel developer than a junior developer. Thats after only 6 months of schooling! Turing will teach you everything that you need to know to become a software developer, period.  My only critiques for the program would be the space. When I attended, Turing was in a basement of a building in downtown Denver. It definitely had its character, but not seeing the sun for hours definitely took its toll. My other critique would be the cost. Compared to what you get for the program, for most people this is an excellent option. However, I would suggest that you save up to attend rather than taking out loans.

• Anonymous • Developer • Graduate

I graduated with a BA in English and worked in elementary education for 7 years prior to joining Turing. I left teaching in 2014 and enrolled in a semester of intro-level programming courses at a community college and quickly realized this was not going to help me develop the relevant skills I would need to transition into a career as a developer. After some serious agonizing about how to move forward, I bit the bullet and joined Turing's second cohort. It's really difficult to summarize my whole experience here. What's most important is that, after a truly intense seven months of being pushed and stretched, I arrived on the other side, working as a full-time developer. This didn't happen because of some sort of magic or because Turing had some sort of special "partner company" placement deal. It happened because Turing knows how to build developers. They have a lot of experience doing this, and are always refining their process for shaping well-rounded, capable developers.

This is not a program I would recommend for someone who wants to casually explore whether he or she might like programming or web development. It's also not a program I'd recommend to someone who just wants to a different job. If, however, you want to build a solid foundation in best practices of modern web development, one from which you can grow and start a new career, I can't recommend Turing highly enough. Just be prepared to work really, really hard.

• Max T. • Software Engineer • Graduate

I chose The Turing School for a few reasons:

1) The Executive Director--Jeff Casimir--ran Hungry Academy at my old company and is well-connected in the DC area (where I knew I'd be returning after the program), and in the tech scene in general 2) The long duration and high intensity of the program 3) The fact that it's a non-profit and has no interest in cramming classrooms with more students and/or depressing instructor compensation to meet a bottom-line earnings goal 4) I have friends that went through Hungry Academy and gSchool that raved about Jeff's teaching style, curriculum, and instructor quality

...and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. My seven months at Turing were seven of the most intense and rewarding months of my life. I was studying constantly, living two timezones away from my family, and forced to exist in an endless state of feeling like I was a half-step behind where I should be, but that's where the value of the program lies. And because I researched what I was getting into, I was mentally and emotionally prepared to be challenged.

I grew faster and learned more than I ever though possible in such a short amount of time, and made some lifelong friends while doing it. The instructors are fantastic, and the community is open and welcoming. Additionally, I graduated in early October 2015, received three job offers by Thanksgiving, and I'm now working at one of the three companies on my short list when I first started Turing on day one. I'm incredibly thankful that I chose to take the leap to move out to Denver for seven months to learn skills that have helped me love what I do everyday.

I want to make room for a few critiques as well, however:

1) Turing expects you to give back to the community. Fostering and sustaining a welcoming group of people that's dedicated to not only to Turing, but the larger development community as a whole, is incredibly important to the instructors. If that isn't something that drives you, it might mike your time there a little rougher. 2) When I started the program, it was less than a year old, so there were some growing pains, including one project that was assigned to us while the learning goals, technical expectations, and benchmarks for success were still being written and developed by the staff. 3) The space can be a bit depressing. While the instructors and fellow students are fantastic, and everyone does what they can to brighten it up, the space is located in a basement, so going entire days without seeing the sun--including some weekends during project weeks--can get depressing and impose a toll on your mood/sanity. 4) I can't stress enough the level of intensity of the program. Don't attend Turing until you KNOW you want to be a developer. You should know you're all-in on day 1, because it's not a place that's forgiving of apprehension. There were people who dropped out because they weren't prepared for what they were facing.

In summary, though, I would highly recommend Turing to anyone who's ready to take the leap and become a professional developer. I'm incredibly glad I did and I'm so thankful I found a community of friends and instructors (who are now software industry peers) that I can continue to learn and grow with.

• Dave Maurer • Graduate

Comprehensive software development program totalling an average of 1600 hours over a 7 month period. Immersive, difficult, life changing.

Turing is the most challenging thing I've ever done in my life. I was a former bartender with no programming experience at all. The terms console, command line, function, method, and variable all had completely different or alien meanings for me. Also, being in my 40's and well above the age average added some cultural and "getting up to speed" bumps.

Coming in I thought, "how hard can it be?". I had no idea what I was getting in to, but I don't regret one second of it. Turing was a crucible I survived and benefitted from in so many different ways. I know a new language. The language of software, and I can learn any derivation of that language because I now how programming is structured. That's what Turing gave me above all else. A firm understanding of what programming does. Armed with that, no software career is out of reach.

Turing isn't just about teaching you to be a developer though. They also it teach you to be a better human. The social and cultural events really bring out the more reclusive students, but in a very comfortable way, and for those who are already extroverted, the gear up discussions and programs like improv are a way to evaluate and challenge the way we think, and the way we act.

I recommend Turing to anyone who has even a slight interest in software and discovering what makes things tick. It won't be wasted time or money, even if you don't make an entire career out of it. The experience, the challenge, and the life lessons are what you will value most when all is said and done.

• Life changing
    Marla B • Student

Turing for me was truly one of those once-in-a-lifetime transformative experiences. The program not only made me into a software developer, it also helped me re-evaluate my sense of self and who I am relative to the rest of the world. Does that hook you? (Maybe, maybe not, but either way, read on...)

Turing is H-A-R-D hard. They warn you about this up front, but trust me, whatever your preconceived notion of difficult is, this program in all likelihood takes the cake. Your personal life will suffer over the course of the program, but all worthwhile things are worth the sacrifices made along the way.

The quality of the instruction is top notch: I think one of the key differentiators between Turing and [insert-bootcamp-down-the-street-here] is that Turing is led by educators who happen to also be amazing developers rather than developers who may or may not actually know how to teach others. This detail is critical in a program this long and relentless.

If you want to learn how to be a professional developer, this is the only game in town. I will say that it is getting increasingly more challenging to find a job post-school and given the current enrollment (approximately 70-80 current students at any given time in the building), it can be challenging to get the same individualized attention at that stage in the game as it was perhaps a year ago when Turing was just starting to graduate its first and second classes. That does put the onus more on students to build their own job plan and seek out guidance, but that is sort of the deal for all of Turing. If you're looking to have your hand held, this is not the place for you, but if you're willing to be challenged in ways you never dreamed possible, this is your chance.

• Ian A. • Full Stack Developer • Graduate

I came to Turing from a career as a Psychotherapist. I had dived into programming many times and always bounced out from frustration due to lack of good instruction but mainly due to not having the time or energy to commit to it. Turing provided the structure I needed to maintain focus. Turing is a grind, it is extremely demanding and does not leave time for much else, so if you have one, make sure your significant other is prepared to not see you much for seven months. I was part of the second class, and the Job Assistance piece was a bit lacking at the time, there were a few events but it seemed that many of us were often frustrated during that time. From what I've heard they have made quite an improvement since then in this area. All that being said, I got my first job as a web developer about three months after graduating, and have been consistently delivering more code than most of the senior developers with years of experience.

• Dustin • Full Stack Software Developer • Graduate

I enrolled in Turing on the recommendation of a close-friend and completed the program in 2015. Being an adult with a previous career and history I hope this will be a more clear-eyed and less infatuated review.

Anyway, what they expect out of you at Turing can border on the unreasonable but what can you expect when they are trying to pack 4 years into 7 months? They are trying to take someone with no experience and make them hirable as a junior software dev in 7 months. You need to be very serious about becoming a dev, intelligent, and not a dick if you want to succeed at Turing.

Honestly, to their credit they pull it off brillantly.

I feel like overall my Rails and Ruby knowledge that came out of the program was very strong, with my JavaScript knowledge being somewhat weak. The fact that I now am employed as a Python and Django developer and am excelling at my job goes to show the power of teaching one langauge and one framework very well is all you need to enter into software development.

As far as the curriculum, beyond feeling weak in JavaScript overall (they have since changed their curriculum to be more focused on JS), I think the complete lack of focus on HTML and CSS was somewhat of a detriment as it has a basic skill that has been required for being a full stack engineer. 1-week would probably be suffecient honestly.

The community itself is very strong and Jeff Casimir's support network/guest speaker list was truly incredible. Jeff has an uncanny ability at attracting quality people.

That said, the two main criticisms I have with Turing are:

First that the job search was much more difficult and time-consuming than expected, which was very difficult financially, even with Turing's help. I feel like this is less of Turing's fault than a shift in the market and a flood of other bootcamp graduates (who are likely less qualified in my opinion).

Secondly, while the Turing community is very strong, this strength was sometimes abused; I feel like the focus on non-software topics constantly is distracting and at times even felt like they were trying their hand at social engineering and experimentation, even if the progressive intentions of such were mostly positive. Turing is the brain-child of Jeff Casimir, and I have never met someone with a stronger personality or higher ambitions. Turing is in many ways a reflection of this personality for both good and ill.

Nonetheless, I strongly respect Jeff Casimir and all being said I still recommend Turing to anyone I know and still appreciate the fanatsic quality of the instructors (Jorge Tellez especially). They aim their sites very high and for the most part achieve them for the majority of students.

• Kristina Brown • Software Engineer • Graduate

I'll start of by saying Turing is the best. You should shop around and look into all your options but I guarantee you will not find a software development program with a better curriculum, staff, or reputation.

One thing I didn't see other reviewers touch on is that Turing is run using agile methodologies, meaning every 6 weeks the staff will make small-large changes to each of the modules based on how the previous 6 weeks went. It's a great way to do, well anything, but it's kind of revolutionary in education. It means the experience is always getting better and evolving with this ever-changing industry. The only con to this aspect of the program is that you sort of feel like you're part of some social experiment, because you kind of are, but it's really for your benefit, and for the benefit of future students (you're welcome).

• Moved From NY
    Kenny • Software Developer • Graduate

I moved from NY to take this course becaues of the quality and duration. In any 12 week course, there is only so much you can learn so lots gets left out. The instructors and curriculum are great, they know thier stuff and invest so much in everyone. When I was there, they were less than a year old, so much has changed for the better. So they definitely have made mistakes and will continue to make some but they are always listening to alumni and students for feedback. This is a HARD course. Make sure you are dedicated for 27 weeks. Everyone in my class found it well worth it.

• A.C. • Graduate

Turing is hard. From day one I was pushed. Before Turing I was a bartender and restaurant manager. I could use social media and type, but that was about the extent of my technology experience. More than once I thought about taking a break or leaving the program completely. Those thoughts stemmed mainly from self doubt and stress, but 6 months after I finished the program I can't believe I ever thought about quitting.

Best decision I ever made. Also one of the harder more stressful things I've done, but the 7 month sacrifice of a personal life, free time and generally all leisure time paid.

I don't think this program is for everyone, but if you're ready to put your head down, work hard, and change your life then I'd recommend Turing for you.

• Bryce • Graduate

I am a graduate of Turing and I think these reviews have summed up a lot of the great aspects of Turing. The curriculum is top-notch as are the instructors. The length of the program is commensurate with the amount of material covered, and needed to be covered in order to become a real developer that is ready for work in the field. I had done my homework before applying to Turing and anticipated most of these qualities, but what impressed me most about Turing were the things I wasn't expecting.

I think where Turing truly sets itself apart is outside of the classroom. Turing has quickly built a large community and it puts that community to work for its students. When I was a student we had small groups assembled of several current students, some from each of the four "cohorts", and mentors. We held weekly meetings with these small groups and the topics ran the gamut of simple tips and tricks to checking in on workload management (because there is a lot of work), but the real value is making connections and setting you up for success. The thing that helped me succeed the most while in Turing as well as post-Turing was spending time with mentors from all walks. I could get any question I needed answered, but in addition I often left with more than I asked for in wisdom imparted on me. For someone that is new to anything, that wisdom can go a long way since you don't quite know the right questions to ask. This community goes to bat for its students when it comes time to find a job as well. Turing has alumni all over the country and likely in several other countries as well at this point.

• Transformative
    Drew Fink • Graduate

Turing is what happens when a bunch of immensly devoted people with a ton of experience in both the tech world and education go into a basement in downtown Denver and try to re-imagine how education itself, and the tech industry as a whole could be better... I'm obviously referring to the instructors and staff, but they also want each student to be an active participant in their quest. There's a vision, there's a huge emphasis put on community, there's that scrappy start-uppy (start puppy?) attitude of constant improvement and questioning.  Turing continuously re-evaluates it's curriculum, they ask for feedback every week from every person so that things never get stale.  It's hard, but there's no wasted effort.  Like I said, it's located in a basement, which can feel a bit stuffy at times, but it's Denver... Denver rocks.  Just make sure to take periodic breaks to come up for fresh air and see the sun for a few moments.  I have tremendous faith in Turing as a "non-institutional institution."   Super glad I took the plunge, highly reccommend it, I made my roomate do it after I finished.  You should too.

• Andy • Software Engineer • Graduate

I had been working as a technology coördinator/person-who-handles-everything-that-plugs-in-and-teaches-classes-on-the-side for seven years prior to enrolling at Turing. Unfortunately nothing I had done previously transferred to programming and I started with basically nothing. The program was rigorous. All those water analogies (drinking from the fire hose, being thrown into the deep end, &c.) accurately described my experiences, especially at first. As the program progressed though, so did my understanding and looking back week by week, my progress was real and impressed me.

Turing's strongest and weakest points are the same: self-reflection. Sometimes the staff can seem obstinate, assuming that any troubles students are having are the student's own and holding the curriculum above reproach. I had a very difficult time with this coming from an education background. On a grander scale, the staff are committed to turning out the best alumni in the world. That goal is lofty and they take it very seriously. Add in a non-trivial social justice mission, and you can see that the staff are holding themselves to at least as high a standard as they do the students. This can lead to a greater good mentality that can be difficult for individual students while beneficial to the community. I was lucky to have a job the night before graduating, and I'm still there, a little over a year later. The first few months were very difficult as I had to get up to speed with topics and skills I had not learned at Turing, but my colleagues were helpful and understanding. Now I work as a peer with senior developers and have interesting side projects in the open source community.

Turning my career around was a scary and difficult process, but one that I am glad to have undertaken. Turing was not easy, but I left prepared to do meaningful work that I continue to enjoy.

• Erik Butcher • Graduate

I'm going to keep this quick - you really get a sense that the staff aren't almighty overlords but just people like you, which is great to know that they've been in similar positions to you as a student, prospective or otherwise. Turing also strongly believes that you need to be aware of social issues in the tech industry and beyond, and while I agree they way this gets presented can be intimidating. All in all though it is an excellent program that deserves your consideration even if you're not already in Colorado or Denver.

• Danny • Software Developer • Graduate

I originally went to university for a traditional 4-year degree in Computer Science. I dropped out after 2 years because I was ultimately paying to teach myself the technology I was interested in. I worked in IT for years prior to and proceeding my time at school. I had multiple internships and freelance gigs as a developer. Not once during all that time did I feel confident in what I was doing.

Then I attended Turing.

Turing completely altered the way I approach problems. It gave me the confidence to say, “I don’t know the answer, but I can figure it out.” They helped me develop not only a mindset for programming, but also the soft skills necessary for the real world.

The curriculum pushes you to your limits, fills you to capacity with new knowledge. You will be physically exhausted from the overload of new information. The instructors challenge you to be better than those before you. You’re pushed by your peers. You’re constantly pushed, but at the same time given the support to go beyond.

A lot of students find their breaking point. You learn when to stop and go for a walk. You learn to think clearly under stress. You learn to navigate the turmoil of collaborative engineering. It can be a shit show at times, but it’s in tune with the business world.

Much like traditional schooling, a major selling point is the network. Turing’s network is incredibly valuable, despite being relatively young.

I don’t have much to say regarding the downsides of Turing. They do weekly check-ins with each cohort and 1-on-1s with each student weekly, so they’re constantly gathering constructive feedback. They constantly iterate on their lesson plans and work on whatever flaws are uncovered. Jeff has somewhat of an inflated ego, but he’s conscious of it and the worst it brings is hearing the same stories a few times over.

Ultimately, you’re paying for an opportunity to create a better life for yourself. They will give you ample resources to do so. Don’t naively go into this thinking you’ll be handed all the answers or that Turing owes you a job at the end. It’s not easy, but it’s worth it.

• Travis Haby • Software Developer • Graduate

Before attending Turing I was a 7th grade math teacher with no programming experience. Turing's extremely high academic expectations and strong support from faculty, mentors and fellow students helped me go from knowing nothing to feeling like a very competitive candidate for Jr. Web Developer positions.

Turing requires you to commit yourself completely to emmersing yourself in learning as much as you can, as quickly as you can. I would say that on average I worked 60-70 hours each week.

I became employed as a full-stack software developer one week after graduation at an education technoology startup using a Rails stack. I couldn't be happier with me decision to attend Turing.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

95% of job obtainers reported salaries.

• 71 enrolled students are covered in this report.
  • View Turing's Detailed Outcomes Summary here.
  • CIRR is a coalition of coding bootcamps that have adopted a standard for reporting, publishing, and marketing student outcomes. Read more about CIRR