turing-logo

Turing

Denver

Turing

Turing School of Software & Design is a 7-month, full-time training program in Denver, CO turning driven students into professional developers. Students who take their Back End Engineering Program or their front End Engineering Program will be surrounded by a supportive team dedicated to their career success. Turing's mission is to unlock human potential by training a diverse, inclusive student body to succeed in high-fulfillment technical careers, while Turing's vision is a world powered by technology where the people building it represent the people using it. Turing is the brainchild of Jeff Casimir and Jumpstart Labs (you might recognize these names from Hungry Academy and gSchool, among other achievements). The staff at Turing emphasizes their educational experience, not just their years as developers, and promises that successful graduates of the school will be valuable contributors to the company they choose to work for through community-driven education. The application process is rolling and requires a resume, writing sample, video response, and logic challenge. Students in the Turing program will learn TDD with Ruby, Ruby Web Applications with Sinatra & Rails, Professional Web Applications, and High-Performance Applications with APIs and Services. In addition, Turing now accepts the GI Bill and offers M-1 visa assistance.

Recent Turing Reviews: Rating 4.77

all (157) reviews for Turing →

Recent Turing News

Read all (54) articles about Turing →
  • Back-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Ruby, SQL
    LocationDenver
    Moving from the basics of object-oriented programming and software execution to building database-backed web applications in Sinatra and Rails, our Back-End Engineering program provides the fundamental skills to launch your career in programming.
    Deposit$1,000
    Tuition PlansAlternative Financing available for students who are not approved by our lending partners.
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship
  • Front-End Engineering

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, User Experience Design, CSS, Express.js, Front End
    LocationDenver
    Our front-end program provides the necessary skills to build a career in front-end development. From UX/UI principles to strong foundations on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, our curriculum provides the framework and tools to build effective desktop, mobile and web applications.
    Deposit$1,000
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship

• Tim M. • Software Engineer • Graduate

Turing was a challenging 7 months.  The amount of new information I learned was staggering and the curriculum has grown significantly since I was a student.  If you manage to find the time and patience to pull through, an amazing industry will be opened up to you.  You'll get out of Turing what you put into it.  They can prepare you for a hard industry to enter and one that will expect you alone to find the answers to challenging problems - even at your first job.  If you deside to go to Turing, you won't walk away with a high level understanding of a few framworks.  They'll give you the knowledge to progress in this career.

Before I came to Turing I had essentially zero programming knowledge - a book on HTML and one free online course.  Now I am developing a Ruby application at an awesome company.  A few long nights is nothing for career in software development - Turing is definitely worth the work.

• Eric • Software Dev • Graduate

I get that this is a big decision. I had to decide if I was going to cash out my 401k on top of borrowing a big chunk of money to do this. Luckily, it was the right decision. After going through the Turing School of Software & Design's Front End program I was able to land a job I enjoy making $73k a year. That's a big jump from the $38k I was making as a retail store manager. We're about 8 weeks out from graduation and everyone else in my cohort who has accepted positions are making as much or more than I am. So, is this a path to a better life? Yes. But you have to enjoy it because it's an incredibly intense program. I'd say I spent 60-70 hours a week working hard in Turing (between class time and project work), so it's definitely going to demand your full attention. And it's not just a lot of work, it's difficult. Our cohort started with 28 people and we graduated with 15 who made it through without having to repeat any modules. Some had to repeat one module. Some had to repeat two. Some left the program. So yeah, it's difficult. That being said, the instructors and curriculum are both top-notch, and you will learn both the technical skills and the soft skill you need to be successful.

• Daniela Carey • Software Engineer • Graduate

The community at Turing sets it apart from other bootcamps. Almost any coding bootcamp can teach you the same coding skills but you can’t get the quality of community that you get at Turing at other bootcamps. The support I received from the staff, alumni, and other students contributed to my success throughout the program and ultimately helped me get a job before graduation.

Alumni are available and eager to help current students as mentors. For current students, it is valuable to have the insight and support from other students who had been through the program, job search, and had spent a few years as a software developer.

The Turing staff and community does a great job of creating an inclusive environment that breeds a diverse student body full of amazing people. I made life-long friends during my 7 months at Turing and felt supported by my fellow classmates from day 1.

Even before my first day of class, I could tell the staff cared deeply about students’ success. Throughout the rigorous curriculum, they were supportive and always available to help. They all go above and beyond to make students feel confident and make sure students know what they need to know to be successful engineers (not just get through the program - they want you to be successful as an engineer in the real world). Additionally, staff is very open to feedback and is constantly adjusting to better serve students and they are available and eager to help with job support throughout Turing and after. Bonus: they’re all amazing humans and enjoyable to be around (which makes a difference when you’re in class with them 40 hours a week).

• Lee Chow • Full Stack Software Developer • Graduate

I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated my experience at Turing. I've had a lot of formal education over the years (clinical doctorate in physical therapy and a combined BS/MS in biomedical engineering), and I also worked a few years as a middle school teacher. From being involved in many areas of education as both a student and teacher, I was very impressed with how Turing's curriculum (technical and professional development) is designed. You can see they make a strong effort to use best teaching practices and to emphasize key skills in software development throughout the program. It's also quite impressive how quickly the curriculum adapts. Every module, students give feedback to the instructors and often the next module changes are already in place. Turing definitely teaches and follows the agile workflow!

I completed the backend program and the technical curriculum focuses on Ruby & Ruby on Rails for 3/4 of the program and JavaScript with a little React for the last 1/4 (this may have changed slightly since I graduated). It's very heavily focused on Object Oriented Design with relational databases (PostgreSQL). The backend program also strongly emphasizes Test-Driven Development (super valuable way of developing software that is maintainable and readable). Some concepts from a more traditional Data Structures and Algorithms course were not emphasized as much during my time at Turing; however, you will be exposed to these concepts (and it is certainly encouraged that you explore this more). There just isn't enough time to cram all this information into a short 7 months!

If you are looking at other bootcamps, I would really recommend Turing (its non-profit status was a huge plus to me). I would be very hesitant to do any part-time bootcamp of similar duration (unless you absolutey need to) as I do not think one's level of understanding would be sufficient to be a junior developer. As for other full-time bootcamps, I would say Turing likely has the highest standards. I would say it is common for ~10-15% of a module to have to "repeat" (especially in modules 1 and 2). Although this may feel like a negative, I think this demonstrates that quality of a Turing graduate over other bootcamps. The faculty will work with you if you are struggling (they often set up study hours just for students that need more time), and there are different difficulty levels for various projects.

The curriculum is quite rigorous and you will need to get comfortable with diving into a project feeling like you don't know anything (but by the end you will have learned a lot more with this approach). You can certainly become a self-taught developer, but if you can I would really recommend doing Turing as you are paying for the collaboration and learning environment (in addition to very quality instruction). Also you are forced to work in a very fast-paced environment, so you could probably learn much quicker than if you did so by yourself.

In terms of job placement, I was very fortunate as I had a job offer before graduating. This isn't as common, but about a quarter of my cohort had job offers upon graduating. Also Turing does support you throughout your 4 modules on campus and even after (during "module 5"). I have friends that kept going to Turing after graduation to get office hours help with their job search.

Overall, Turing is such a supportive, dynamic, and collaborative environment. It opened the doors to an awesome new career for me, and I hope it does the same for you :) I wish you the best in your decisions!

-Lee

• 5 Stars
    - 9/1/2018
    Katie • Integrations Engineer

Turing gave me what I needed to start a new career. Before I attended Turing, I was trying to teaching myself web development online when I came home from my teaching job. Eventually I reached a point where I knew I needed to take a leap and commit to a rigorous program in order to gain the skills necessary to get a software engineering job.

I learned more during my seven months at Turing than I ever thought possible. I also really appreciated the community of Turing -- my cohort was amazing and cohesive, and the staff are all invested in helping students succeed.

Turing was definitely stressful, but for me it was 100% worth it. I started my first dev job three weeks after graduation, and am so happy to be working in this industry.

• Andy <> • Applications Developer • Graduate

I'm a recent Turing Backend Program grad (as of June 8th, 2018), and I highly recommend Turing for anybody willing to make a major career change and become a strong candidate in the web development job market.

My context:

Before Turing I had very little knowledge/awareness of programming, my background was mostly based in service and culinary industries. I decided to make the switch to programming after becoming frustrated with the lack of great and accessible cloud based technologies in my industries, as well as a desire for a better work/life/money balance. I spent about two months on the Odin Project learning very very basics before looking for a bootcamp. I compared all my options in Denver, and after attending intro sessions at Galvanize, General Assembly & Turing, there was no contest in my mind about which would be the most challenging and directed. (Also have to mention it's a non-profit & has a great mission statement aimed at inclusivity).

Turing was very challenging. extremely time consuming, but the reward and skills you gain by the end are more than worth the 7 month (minumum) sacrice you'll make.

The instructors at Turing are great, knowledgeable and very empathetic with the students' experience. Given that, the point of Turing is to become an independent developer with great team skills, so instructors tend to be hands-off outside of project reviews unless you as the student are proactive about seeking their help/feedback (this has proven to be invaluable in the work place in terms of interacting with my lead engineer & product manager). The course material is very challenging coming from a non-computer-science background, and it will likely require all of your attention and most of your brain power to naturalize the concepts you pick up in the first 3 of 4 modules.

As a note - I've encountered a bit of skepticism re: our Ruby on Rails backend curriculum based on the trendiness of other languages. The skills we gained from the ruby frameworks we start with are taught with strong enough conceptual depth that they really do translate to pretty much any other high language & framework. In the last mod my cohort built projects using Ember, Node/Express, Python/Django, Mongodb and a bunch of non-curriculumn languages all while starting the job hunt.

Schedule:

I ended up spending 7 days a week working during each module, usually around six 11-hour days with one 6-hour day on the weekend - this schedule is roughly in line with those of all my cohortmates who graduated with me. During the 1 week intermissions between cohorts, I personally spent 4-5 days completing prework and doing extra research/going to tech meetups, and was able to take 4 days to decompress and show family and friends I was still alive.

Don't try to do this course if you're not going able to realistically dedicate a minimum of 65 hours weekly for 7 to 10 months (students often have to repeat modules, which I think is a great policy, as it promotes really learning material and makes sure grads leave truly ready to crush it in the job market).

Career:

The career support at Turing is phenomenal. You leave with a strong & well review resume, references from instructors & mentors you develop relationships with, Turing alum network, and most likely a strong personal website to show off your projects.

I graduated in early June, worked really hard sending out resumes, going to meetups and reaching out to alums who posted in the Turing jobhunt slack channel, and had 2 offers less than 30 days later. This is on the shorter side for the job hunt, but I felt very supported after graduating, and think the support increases the longer your job hunt streches out.

I'm working on a Rails API being used by mobile apps. The place I'm currently working is impressed enough with my work performance that they're already very open to the idea of hiring more Turing grads.

Turing is a lot and it is also amazing.

• Zachary Landes • Junior Ruby on Rails Developer • Graduate

There is no place like Turing. They are building something new. A new way of thinking about education, about technology, and about how to survive in the modern age. It will push you in ways you have never been pushed. Before I went there, my first thought was 'Wow that seems like a lot of work and struggle'. IT IS. But the thing I didn't consider was that when you are surrounded by 100+ kids all going through the same struggle, it becomes a managable struggle. Not struggling feels weird. It makes sense to you to struggle.

One week after Turing I got a job offer. I got my foot in there door and I honestly feel like I learned how to play this system.

IT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. Not everyone gets through it. Everyone willing to drop everything and begin a whole new world wants to think that they are going to be the ones that make it through. But from my personal experience, among my friends who didn't finish or decided to leave, they didn't make it because they didn't like it, not because they couldn't do it. So try out coding before you take the leap.

If you like puzzles, if you like to connect things together. If you have some neurotic tendencies, you might be a good fit.

Also, from my experience, people who are go getters, extroverts, regardless of coding skill, were able to find jobs more quickly than introverted people. But again, my personal observation.

I cannot say enough good things about this school.

I'm really thankful for the supportive staff, the vibrant alum community and my cohort-mates who helped me through this.

• Back-end Program
    - 12/27/2017
    Whitney Smestad • Software Developer • Graduate

So I went through the Turing program in March of 2015; they just had the back-end program, no front-end yet.

I feel the investment of time and money into Turing is definitely worthwhile. I was in a situation where I was looking to change careers from nursing, and Turing was the perfect program to make that happen. I don’t feel the quick 6-8 week long bootcamps out there, are nearly enough to successfully help someone to change careers.

I will say, I was fortunate enough to complete the Turing program without repeating any modules. This was not true for a large part of the students while I was there. Any given week, plan on committing at least 60-80 hours of your time to the school. You’ll be in class for 40 hours during the week, but expect another 20-40 hrs on evenings and weekends to complete projects, struggle through problems, Googling the hell out the internet… To really succeed in the program, expect nearly everything else in your life to take a back seat. I do wondering how I would have reacted if I had to repeat a module. I found myself to be absolutely exhausted by the end. Many students at the school, while I was there, either had to repeat a module, or decided on their own to take a module off to regroup and have a break from it. That being said, taking a break wasn’t really an option for me, so I did push through and was burning the candle from both ends.

I won’t comment on the instructors specifically, as several of them have moved on to other positions in the nearly 3 years since I was there. Reading other reviews though, it does sound similar in that they will throw students in the deep end for awhile and let you struggle. I think that’s a good thing though, people learn when they have to struggle to find the solution. If you’re not good at asking for help though, be ready to change, otherwise you’ll definitely drown over there in the deep end. As far as the emotional/mental health while you’re there, which is literally half the battle, if you don’t have a support system at home (which I did have), the instructors and staff at Turing were ceratinly there for students. You just have to know you can reach out, they can’t read minds if you’re struggling, whether that be technically or mentally/emotionally.

Turing is one of the more difficult coding programs out there, hands down. Expect to work extremely hard. If you can do that, Turing is with out a doubt, worth it. I was utterly exhausted at times, I was miserable at times, I cried many times, and I constantly questioned whether I should be doing this, but I was able to make a very successful career change, and I felt extremely ready for the working world as a programmer. Hind sight is always 20-20, while in Turing, I struggled and therefore wasn’t the happiest person, but afterwards, working as a developer, I am extremely thankful of Turing and how they prepared me to be an effective developer.

• Mitch • Software Engineer • Graduate

I honestly don't know what else to say. I can't recommend Turing enough. If you're looking to transition into the field of software development then this is your best bet. The instructors genuinely care about you and your career path. Jeff, even though he is incredibly busy, takes the time to get to know you and takes your feedback seriously. I loved everyone in my cohort and made some lifelong friends throughout my time at Turing. Now, it's been about a year and a half since I've left Turing and I still recieve career support from staff and keep in contact with many people that I met. I've worked with other 'bootcamp' grads and, though I generally support the bootcamp model, it makes me thankful that I chose Turing because I feel better prepared than most other bootcamp grads that I've come across.

I'm forever thankful for both my time at Turing and all of the staff members there that are dedicated to helping people create a better life for themselves.

• Sam L • Junior Developer • Graduate

The Turing School of Software & Design changed my life. I am now making twice as much money as I ever have before at a fulfilling job. I am incredibly grateful to Jeff Casimir and the staff at Turing for their work and vision. I can vouch for the legitimacy of the program and career prospects for graduates. I am not an anomaly, either. Read the Jobs Report. The numbers are in line with what I saw. I won’t say that the program is necessarily a good fit for you, though. I saw a lot of people drop out of the program, so I encourage you to try to determine if this is the right path for you or not before dropping 20 grand on it. I’ll spend the rest of the review describing what I think a prospective student should do or consider before signing up.

Turing did not hand me anything. It’s not a place you show up, attend the necessary lectures for a few months then wait for a job offer. I worked very hard to learn the material, build up my professional materials to be an attractive candidate and then slogged through the emotional torment that was the job hunt. Can you work hard 6-7 days a week, 10 hours a day or more? Can you continue working hard when you’re sure it’s futile and you’re wasting your time? Because you will feel like that. Doesn’t make it true, but you will have those thoughts.

Do you like programming? When I applied to Turing, and this is still the case as far as I know, you could get in without ever having touched a computer before in your life. They assessed my problem-solving skills and personality via collaborating on an LSAT question. I do believe anyone could learn to program, but I do not believe everyone would enjoy it. Luckily, there are so many free resources to explore you can easily get a feel for programming and whether or not you want to make a career switch around it. Please, spend 50 hours or so playing with codecademy.com and codewars.com before you decide to take off at least 7 months of your life and pay a lot of money to pursue this career change.

Are your ducks in a row to take 7-10 months off work? Family, pets, financial obligations can all derail a Turing career. Don’t underestimate the time commitment, as well as the emotional drain the program takes on most people. It is fun and rewarding, but also incredibly difficult. Don’t hamstring yourself by overextending yourself.

Have you done a Try Turing event http://trycoding.turing.io/? It will give you a good idea of the Turing culture and teaching style, and save you $500 if you decide to do Turing.

I chose Turing over several other programs because I wanted to go somewhere that was more than a job factory. I wanted to have an experience that was a wholesome place to truly transition into a new career. If the only thing motivating you is the paycheck, you’ll have a tough path forward. If you like challenging yourself and working closely with others, Turing is the best place in the world to start a career in software development.

• Bryan Goss • Developer • Graduate

I moved from Portland to Denver to attend the Turing School of Software and Design, and moved back to Portland when I was finished. I was the last person in my cohort to get hired, and the staff were still doing weekly check-ins with me 6 months after I finished. It was obvious to me that they were committed to making sure I completed my career change.

Turing is a different experience than any I've heard of in Portland so far. The Portland developer schools tend to be 3 months while Turing lasts 7 months. Some of the Portland schools ask only 20 hours a week, or have graduates teaching classes. Turing occupied at least 60 hours a week for the whole term. The Turing staff were knowledgable, aproachable and passionate. The learning environment might not be appropriate for everyone, but it worked for me and the people I studied with. I have recommened the school (even when people didn't ask or care) to anyone I can talk to about their job or education.

• Victoria Vasys • Student

I don't have time to relay my full thoughts as this program is incredibly intense & I have about 5 big things to juggle in my final week. That said, I hope there's an edit button so I can come back & explicate further!

Overall, my experience has been tremendous; I have gained so many incredibly valuable skills and truly feel ready to enter the world of programming. I've found out that this requires a ton of skills that I didn't really foresee, but I am super thankful to have gained them and feel at a level above most juniors exiting a "bootcamp".

At times, I've felt like my head was swimming and my emotions were going to explode, however, my classmates & the staff were always here to reassure me I could do it. There is so much camaraderie and instructors are totally willing to work with you to get you where you need to be, willing that you have the time & grit to get through it.

I'm making a 180-degree switch in careers (I was mostly a farmer and cab-driver prior to Turing), and I couldn't have done it without this level of instruction and community support. The school's values also align with mine and it was easy to see from the get-go that they have my best interests at heart and are not just in it for the money. This non-profit highly values diversity, inclusion, and helping their students gain high-fulfillment careers in tech.

• Justin Pease • Full Stack Agile Developer • Graduate

I seriously doubt there is a better education of it's kind out there.

I worked in the trades and had no real good way to get into a new career with our going back to school but was not happy about the idea of another 4 years of schooling. I was very lucky to find Turing. I started with zero knowledge of computers, and and finished with a very solid understanding of programming and development and got a really great job as a full stack agile software developer immediately after graduation.

The pace was insane. It was too fast for me and I repeated 2 modules but I still wouldn't have gone anywhere else. They are not looking to just let anyone in and graduate. They hold a very high standard of education and it transformed me into someone ready for the work force. The curriculum is top notch, and the instructors care very much about the students. The hidden gem of Turing is the other students you'll be with. Turing has a way of finding great people to admit so everyone is always helping each other which got me through multiple jams during late night sessions studying and finishing projects. The incredible pace was matched by the resources and support.

Jeff Casimir has a very strong passion for helping people. There was a bit of social education which wasn't what I came for but I admire their passion for helping disadvantaged people and the local community.

Seriously, it's the only place to go.

• Dan M. • Software Engineer • Graduate

I went into the back end program with only about half of a free online course under my belt, so to say that it was a struggle would be an understatement.  The days, nights and weekends all sort of blended together, but I never felt like I was wasting time.  There were always resources available, from the incredibly dedicated instructors, to the crazy network of mentors that Jeff Casimir has built over the years.

I ultimately pulled through, and am very happy with the direction my career has taken since.  I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who wants a career in software development.

• James • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate

Turing is a community.

It's not a bootcamp. It is not a business. It's not a guarantee. It's not easy and it's not for everyone. But if you've found this review because you are confident you would like to pursue a career in something Turing can teach you, it could be a dream opportunity. It was for me.

I graduated from the back-end program in April 2016 and am currently employed as an Associate Software Engineer in the New England area. My post-Turing job search consisted of 3 months, 4 on site interviews, and 2 offers.

Some of Turing's defining characeristics are its non-profit status, Jeff Casimir's reputation and experience in education, its duration compared to the industry average, its support of honest and transparent graduation/employment statistic reporting (which is sorely lacking in the industry right now), its constant self-reflection and "how can we do this better" perspective, and its desire to engage more women, minorities, and folks facing disadvantages in the software engineering community.

TL;DR

Would play again 10 times out of 10.

• Jonathan Bernesser • Software Engineer • Graduate

Graduated August 2017.

Turing was able to transform me, someone with a few months of self-taught ruby experience into a full fledged software engineer at a NYC Tech company.

You probably have read about the challenging nature of the curriculum and how it was the most difficult experience for each respective graduate. This is all true, and I found it the same. The special-ness of the community and curriculum is really one of a kind. However, I would like for this review to really indentify if Turing is for you.

1) This is not a place to go if you just want the end goal (big money job) without the likeness (i really dont like the word passion) for code. The only way through this program and into an employers hands (which is getting harder by the day) is to really like what you are doing. The largest successs that Turing has produced has been students who exemplified this. Students who have stayed later, put in more work then needed and had truly immersed themselves. Although it's possible, a part time commitment would have been a disaster for me (easily sidetracked with a proclivity for laziness).

2) This is an unconventional educational experience, and needs to be welcomed with zero preconceived notion of what education is. I've seen doctorate grads be on the same level as college dropouts.

3) Please please please make sure you are interested in code before going. This is not an impulse decision!

Overall, Turing provides a rock-solid curriculum taught by instructors who truly care within a diverse community of hungry individuals. For the real review now....

1) Instructors *****: Most of the instructors who were best for me are gone now, however Turing does a great job of creating a staff with a diverse set of teaching styles and personalities that you are bound to find one that inspires you. I am a bit worried with the recent overflow of student -> instructors, but I have not seen a drop off in learning outcomes.

2) Curriculum *****: Phenomenal, always in flux and truly agile. Don't ditch the difficulty! The "oh shit" --> "i'm useless" -> "holy crap..maybe" -> "project review" was eye opening for me as a learning process and a real confidence builder. I'm now confident to take on any challenge on the job and being able to figure it out.

3) Job Assistance **: One area I would say that could be improved. I had very llttle corresponence post grad with the jobs team (one lead) (Full disclosure: This could be in part to me as well, I was focused on New York Only, and networking with alumni on my own) . Alumni are the real winners here. They are always helpful and spread apart the globe at great companies. If you are worried about job placements...see number 1 above. This is a perk of Turing, not the end goal. A strong, persistent developer will always be able to find a job, it is up to you to get to this point before graduation.

Overall, Turing as a decision is hard to recommend without a strong asterisk. That asterisk is you. What are your goals, who are you and why are you looking at coding bootcamps? If you truly feel this is what you want to do, it would be hard pressed to find a better school than this.

Lastly, one cannot review Turing without a mention of it's social mission. A small part (depending who you ask) of the Turing experience is awakening it's students to contemporary liberal ideology. Overall, it is a welcoming and not forceful introduction. This was never a real focus for me, as the coding education is what truly inspired, and this was fine. I always thought through what Turing did best (code), inherently does a far better job at creating great, open-minded people, not the explicit group sessions (gear-ups). As an FYI, my non-commital nature to their admirable political and social mission never impacted my outcomes, grades or helpfulness from the staff and Jeff Casimir

That being said, I will always be thankful for this experience! THANK YOU!

• Mark Miranda • Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated from the back-end program in August 2016. I currently work as a Software Developer in Rails + Angular 2.

I chose between Turing and Galvanize and the main reasons that swayed me towards Turing were:

1. Jeff Casimir's reputation in the industry
    2. The non-profit status, which I didn't have a lot of concern for their mission at the time, but more that they couldn't sell my educational experience to investors to expand the program further and further.
    3. The ability to repeat modules. I was terrified to make a career change and afraid that I wouldn't be able to make it through the program on my first try and didn't want to be dragged along for 6 months not understanding anything past a certain point because I didn't understand a specific concept. (I didn't repeat any modules in case you were curious).
    4. After visiting the (old) basement (the new one is really nice too) for my interview, I was blown away by the energy that went through the space, people in every available space, extremely focused and concentrated working through projects and helping each other.

The program is constantly changing and my review is probably hideously outdated when compared to the processes / curriculum, but I love the ability for them to change when something doesn't work. The teachers have your best interest at heart and want to see you succeed and learn, even if it means calling you out when they know you're not giving your all. The community is amazing and the network of mentors is uncomparable. I graduated and it took me 87 days to receive my first offer. That might seem like a long time, but in the end not coding bootcamp can hand you a job at the end of the program. There were people in my cohort that had job offers before graduation, but they put in the work of networking and making those connections early. You graduate and show up as someone with no professional experience. Turing helps you with professional / personal development and how to approach and overcome the hurdles of entering a new industry.

I also now work in a framework we weren't taught at Turing (Angular 2), but didn't have any trouble diving in and learning. I know it sounds cliché, but you really do learn how to learn different programming patterns and aren't pigeonholed into a specific language.

Turing was great. They helped me transition from a career I disliked and become a better person along the way. I'll be in their debt forever.

• Steve • Software Developer • Graduate

I'll start by saying I graduated three weeks ago, and am now in my second week of work as a software developer with a good company. I came from a non-tech background (BA in Creative Writing and a career as a commercial fisherman). I did my research about a lot of coding schools, and Turing was exactly what I expected and was pitched. It is extremely demanding time-wise, but the emotional stress varies widely among students.

The curriculum seems about as good as possible for 7 intense months, and the core teachers are all exceptional. As many people have said, one of the best part is the other students. We've all made a lot of life-long friends. A few people have been rubbed the wrong way by the PC side of the school's mission, but students should be aware of this element before enrolling and be prepared to participate in tough discussions or quietly disengage from that part. The job-assitance aspect of the school is continually improving, and many students find jobs through referrals from the staff (myself included).

If you're looking to transition into a software career through an intensive program, Turing is in the top tier of options.

• Hilary • Software Engineer • Graduate

I chose Turing because I knew of Jeff Casimer and what he had done at gSchool. At the time I approached Jeff the Turing program was an ember in Jeff's mind, but I knew that it would be the right choice. It was a little bit of a bet to invest my future in something that was just starting out but my has it paid off.

At Turing, they don't just teach you how to code in ruby or rails. They use those languages to provide you with a set of tools that will allow you to go out into the workforce and work on almost anything you want to, in any language you want to. That is so much more valuable than learning just a language. Since I graduated I've been able to follow my interests and pick up new technoligies relatively quickly.

The other amazing thing about Turing is the network of people. The people, teachers, students, alumni, and mentors, at Turing are awesome. Everyone continues to insire me to learn more and also better myslef as a person. The mentorship program, where alumni and other developers in the field can mentor current students has been not only helpful to those students I mentore, but helpful to me. It has been an invaluable asset in increasing my confidence in my knowledge and also teaching me new things all the time.

Turing was and continues to be a source of knowledge or personal development for me. I highly recommend it.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

My favorite thing about Turing is that they are continuously improving. They constantly iterate on the program by trying new things - keeping what works and scraping what doesn't. This attitude is what convinces me that they are sincere about giving you the best education and experience possible.

The education I got was incredible. I took a great job a few weeks after graduating, and by the second week I already had code in the production app. I was fully prepared to come into the company and start writing code immediately (without having previous tech experience!).

I'm incredibly proud to have been a Turing student. They have an incredible community and incredible staff. I would choose to attend Turing again in a heart beat.

• Emily • Software Developer • Graduate

After talking with people who went to other coding programs, I realized just how special Turing is.

Two things:

1. Turing is a non-profit (EVERYONE on the team is there for the students, not $$$).

2. The program is way longer and more in-depth than almost every other program.

Honestly, Turing folks do want they say they do. They help (and rigourously push) you to become a solid developer in 7 months. Will you be showered with job offers upon graduation? No. Getting a job requires hussle, salemanship (show off all that great work you've been doing!), and connections. Turing can help with all that, but it will still be up to you to find a job that works for you. It's not easy. Taking time and money to change careers is a big commitment; budget at least a year from the time you quit your old job until your first developer paycheck comes in.

• Ryan • Software Engineer • Graduate

Turing was a life-changing opportunity for me and I will forever be grateful for it. In my experience, Jeff Casimir and the Turing staff did everything in their power to help provide an environment where students not only become sought-after developers, but well rounded people.

Jeff cares about providing an environment where student success is prioritized. Period. Not only does he and the staff continuously improve on the curriculum EVERY cohort, but he is not above fixing a toilet or installing a ramp for students that need it. Something you don’t see in a lot of leaders.

The support that I received from the staff was BY FAR the best I had from any post-secondary education I’ve been apart of. There were many nights / weekends where they sacrificed their own personal time to help my classmates and I work on problems and issues we were stuck on. They don’t just tell you that student success is important to them, they show you by the commitment they put towards their students each day.

As everyone else has already said, Turing is VERY HARD! It demands a lot of your time and you will be mentally tested everyday. For 7 months, you will have to commit to becoming the best developer you can be. You will have to sacrifice time with your family and friends (I’m a husband and father of two), but the education you get in return is more than worth it.

I’m not going to tell you that everything at Turing is perfect. The process of receiving a mentor was somewhat confusing when I was there, but they have currently taken strides to improve that process and make sure that every student has the ability to get a mentor in the most efficient way.

Overall, the decision to go to Turing has been the best career decision that I have made. I received a job offer before I finished school and am loving my job. None of this would have been possible without the help, guidance, and support I received at Turing!

• Gustavo • Software Developer • Graduate

General consensus:

Turing is one of the most challenging endeavors you will ever pursue. It is seven months of intense software development training and personal assessment. Each day you will be pushed beyond your mental and physical boundaries. Some days, you will question if you have the stamina to successfully complete the program. In the end, however, you will recognize that attending Turing was one of the best decisions you ever made!

Personal experience:

I went into Turing with zero programming experience. I had only completed a couple of online Ruby tutorials but knew immediately that I wanted to pursue software development. If you are new to programming and are considering attending Turing, here are a few personal recommendations.

First, be 100% certain you are ready to place your life "on hold" for seven months. Have your finances in order and minimize the number of distractions outside of Turing so you can focus entirely on the program.

Second, prepare as much as possible before starting the program. For example, I had not touched a Mac in over 22 years, so it was one more thing (on top of many other things) I had to learn during my first few weeks at Turing. If possible, I suggest you get Mac laptop and start getting familiar with it. Choose a text editor (Atom is very beginner-friendly) and learn some key bindings. Play around with the Terminal and enable tab completion. Being able to navigate your machine at a reasonable rate will help you keep pace with class lectures and exercises. Also, I would recommend completing a good Rails tutorial so you can get a better idea of its MVC pattern.

Third, if a certain subject area is not clicking, seek help! Turing moves fast so don't let too much time pass by before asking for help. Given that I was part of the first cohort (#1406) at Turing, resources were somewhat limited during my first two modules and that made the program even more challenging for me. It wasn't until halfway of module three that I was able to find a good mentor who was commited to helping me. Fortunately, Turing has since increased and improved its mentor participation and has also structured student "posses" in which students from cohorts ahead of yours can serve as helpful resources.

Each instructor at Turing is both an educator and a programmer. Their commitment to your individual success and the success of the program is unquestionable. They each invest countless hours preparing lectures, enhancing the curriculum, and helping students outside of normal hours. I genuinely admire their dedication and passion. Other programs experience high turnover with instructors, which can often lead to inconsistency and instability in a program's curriculum and overall success.

Community:

As soon as you're accepted into Turing, you become part of an awesome community! Many are recent graduates of Jeff Casimir's previous training programs and Turing, so they know exactly what it takes to get through the seven months. Others are seasoned developers and industry leaders who fully support Turing by generously devoting their personal time to help the program succeed. Obviously, I am extremely proud to be part of this remarkable network!

Your classmates:

Turing values its culture and its curriculum equally, so the administration does a great job of filtering potential students in order to maintain a healthy learning environment. That said, please understand that you will be in many stressful situations throughout the course of the program and it is essential that you and your classmates communicate effectively. Also, if you notice one of your classmates is falling behind, take the initiative to help him/her get back on track; it will be a great learning opportunity for you both and it will pay significant dividends as the course advances. And, since most of the assignments are group-based projects, ensuring that every member of the group can contribute similarly will lighten the workload and enhance the experience for everyone.

Summary:

Please understand that there is no such thing as a perfect software development training program. There is a lot to learn and there is never enough time. However, I can assure you that Turing has the best resources and systems in place to turn you into an employable developer by the end of the seven-month course. Just like anything else in life, if you go in with a positive attitude, work hard, and make the best out of every day, you will have a great experience. Good luck!

• Aaron Wortham • Web Developer • Graduate

I was CNC machinist when I made the decision to join Turing. Without a computer background I found myself struggling at times to comprehend some of the concepts that were being taught and asked many a 'dumb' question. I also had a wife and two kids and only got to see them on weekends during the 7 months. Because of this I put in roughly 70 hours/week during weekdays and took the weekends off to be with family. This program is everything they've advertised and can totally change the trajectory of your life. My income tripled from one year to the next and opportunities are so much bigger than what I had before. But do not enter this program thinking you will skate through to graduation and be handed a great high paying job.You will work your ever loving butt off. Just know that up front. If you are good with that than Turing is the place for you.

I have faced many a development challenge since I entered the industry a little over a year ago and found the training that I received to have prepared me fully to handle anything that has been thrown my way. Totally worth it.

• Alexandra • Software Developer • Graduate

If you are serious about becoming a software developer and working in the field, attend Turing. I've always found that it is the people that make the program. The staff at Turing, including the executive director are some of the most hard working, passionate, and compassionate people I've met. They are serious about the work they do and the students they teach. They are continuously seeking feedback and making improvements to the curriculum and work environment.

The staff works hard to ensure that the curriculum is relevant and up to date with the latest industry standards and best practices. In addition to teaching and fine tuning the curriculum, staff members are involved in the tech community, hosting meet ups, speaking at conferences, and participating in tech initiatives around the US.

Turing has an amazing community of people, including alumni, professional developers, corporate executives, government officials, and founders of tech startups. These 'friends of turing' are influencers in their fields who use their influence to give back to the community and advance the careers of new developers. They share their knowledge and insight with current students, often making themselves available to mentor over a google chat, cup of coffee, or a drink after work.

The program is very challenging. There is a steep learning curve, but if you work hard, hang in there, and reach out to the turing community for help when you need it, you will acquire the necessary skills for a great career in software development.

• Krista Nelson • Software Engineer • Graduate

I was over worked and under appreciated in my last job, and was looking for a career change but wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I heard about Turing and wasn't sure quite what it was but knew it came with a great reputation so I went ahead and applied just to check it out. CHANGED MY LIFE! What a difference one year can make!

Why I love Turing - the people!

Jeff:  Thank you to Jeff for creating such an amazing community and bringing all of these great people together. He cares about so much more than just pumping out devs, but giving back and making an impact on the tech community as a whole. He has stood up for me and lead me to some amazing oportunities including  the connection to my job now. He can be tough and will push you to your limits but he has the best of intentions of pushing you out of your comfort zone and onto the next level.

The instructors:  The instructors are amazing, and I can't thank them enough for all that they have done. They care so much about their students and take the time to find ways of explaining things in a relatable way, even for those with no programming background. There is no judgement for things you don't know before coming in. If you put in the respect and effort needed, it is more than returned back.

The mentors: I think it shows the amount of respect there is for the Turing community by seeing all of the awesome Ruby/Rails/JS community members that give up lots of their time to help students for free. I learned so much from the mentors I had while I was at Turing, and I continue to grow and solidify my skills as I mentor students currently in the program.

The students: You will spend A LOT of time with your classmates. Spending that much time with any group, there will be cases of friction of course but that was by far the most respectful group of people I have ever met. There is a lot to cover, and each student may choose to focus on different aspects. Getting to see what your peers work on is a great inspriation and opens so many doors to expanding your knowledge. Check out a demo day if you want to see what the students are up to.

Overall notes

Course was hard, be preparred to not do anything else for those 7 months. Just as nothing in life is perfect, it's a high stress environment and surely you'll run into some roadblocks but making through those just makes you that much stronger of a person. Couldn't be happier with my choice to go to Turing.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

95% of job obtainers reported salaries.

• 71 enrolled students are covered in this report.
  • View Turing's Detailed Outcomes Summary here.
  • CIRR is a coalition of coding bootcamps that have adopted a standard for reporting, publishing, and marketing student outcomes. Read more about CIRR