turing-logo

Turing

Denver

Turing

Turing School of Software & Design is a federally accredited, 7-month, full-time online training program based in Denver, CO turning driven students into professional developers. Students who take their Back End Engineering Program or their Front End Engineering Program will be surrounded by a supportive team dedicated to their career success. Turing's mission is to unlock human potential by training a diverse, inclusive student body to succeed in high-fulfillment technical careers, while Turing's vision is a world powered by technology where the people building it represent the people using it. Turing is the brainchild of Jeff Casimir and Jumpstart Labs (you might recognize these names from Hungry Academy and gSchool, among other achievements). The staff at Turing emphasizes their educational experience, not just their years as developers, and promises that successful graduates of the school will be valuable contributors to the company they choose to work for through community-driven education.

The application process is rolling and requires written answers to reflection questions, and a logic challenge. Students in the Turing program will learn TDD with Ruby, Ruby Web Applications with Sinatra & Rails, Professional Web Applications, and High-Performance Applications with APIs and Services. In addition, Turing now accepts the GI Bill and offers M-1 visa assistance.

Recent Turing Reviews: Rating 4.79

all (196) reviews for Turing →

Recent Turing News

Read all (58) articles about Turing →
  • Back-End Engineering

Ruby, Rails, Git, CSS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Sinatra, SQL
    LocationDenver
    Moving from the basics of object-oriented programming and software execution to building database-backed web applications in Sinatra and Rails, our Back-End Engineering program provides the fundamental skills to launch your career in programming.
    Deposit$1,200
    Tuition PlansAlternative Financing available for students who are not approved by our lending partners.
    Refund / GuaranteeDeposit is fully refundable. Students may return their issued laptop for a refund of the deposit. Tuition is refundable on a pro rata basis.
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship
  • Front-End Engineering

LocationDenver
    Students in our Front-End Engineering program build the skills and knowledge to be a professional front end developer. They start by building a solid foundation with JavaScript and HTML/CSS, then layer on React and related libraries. They mix in some APIs and data storage, and FEE students are building production-ready web applications.
    Deposit$1,200
    Scholarship$4,000 Diversity Scholarship

I think there maybe too many students. The instructors are always acting harried and are curt with students. If you fall behind and need extra help, you're on your own.

I have mixed feelings about Turing because of what it has become.

On the one hand, it does provide a quality introduction to both the theory underpinning today's technologies and the technologies themselves. On the other hand, the administration preaches a toxic political philosophy that ostracizes people that just happen to be in the majority of the tech industry, but never harmed anyone consciously in doing so. If you're fine with regressive left ideas being thrown in your face everyday, you'll enjoy every day at Turing.

• Anonymous • Developer

I spent the better part of my 20s, jumping between jobs after a liberal arts degree that gave me few career options. I studied for the LSAT, GMAT and GRE and wasn't convinced that grad schools were worth the money and time.  I started thinking a lot about coding and taking some evening and online courses.  I thought a bootcamp was a good option but didn't think 12 weeks was going to be enough to learn. I eventually saw Jeff Casimir speak at Denver Startup Week's Bootcamps panel and was thoroughly impressed with his mission and Turing's program.

Turing is a non-profit which means that you don't get a beautiful startup-y building with views of the mountains, you get a basement.  You don't get free food or access to tech parties but you get exceptional instructors who are willing to come in on weekends (with no extra bonuses to their salaries) to help you learn to code- they just care that much.

The curriculum doesn't just teach you how to use frameworks and memorize rules. It teaches you how to think like a developer and how to code. Test Driven Development is a mantra here. It's not surprising that many of my classmates have ended up with jobs in other languages outside of what we were taught.  The curriculum covers a lot of foundational content and it's not easy.  The program is rigorous, to say the least, so prepare to put in lots of hours. And if your projects are consistently subpar, expect to retake a module or two.

Turing was the hardest thing I've ever done but I received a job offer within 10 days of graduating.  I feel well prepared for the work that I will be doing, as every aspect of the job is something that I've covered in the curriculum.

Outside of the curriculum, projects are geared to teach you how to work in teams (which is very challenging with code) and the program covers lots of soft skills (like public speaking and group debates), which makes you a more well-rounded, and open-minded developer coming out of the program.  I interviewed and met several CTOs and recruiters who consistently told me that they were only considering hiring bootcamp grads from Turing.

If you're looking for a program that is evenings only or can be done as quickly as possible, you need to ask yourself if you really want to learn programming all that badly. Turing is really the only solid option out there.

• the hype is real
    - 7/27/2016

I used the reviews here as my main source of learning about Turing before I came, and my initial reaction was "This sounds too good to be true. Is it? Or is the hype real?" Now that I'm a graduate, I can verify that the hype is indeed real. I had a lot of higher education coming to Turing at a number of different kinds of colleges, small, liberal arts school, large public school, and prestigious private institutions. At each institution, I was told I'd be taught how to think by excellent teachers and I'd be in an inclusive, supportive community. I never had anything near that at my prior educational programs, so I certainly approached Turing's similar claims with some caution. However, as others have echoed here, Turing has great teachers, great community, and great results. I got a dream job before I graduated at a place I had been trying to work at since I was in college, and this was due to both a connection Turing had there and their teaching me the skills to be an asset to the organization. Something notable about Turing is also that they truly value diversity and actively and continually try their best to promote inclusion. They are very receptive to feedback on how to acheive this, and like with the curriculum and program structure, make changes quickly and iterate on the results. If you're here reading this investigatig Turing, please reach out to a Turing staff, student, or alumni to chat! We are super friendly.

Turing Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 68 graduates included in report:

97% of job obtainers reported salaries. 2% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.