tradecraft-logo

tradecraft

tradecraft

Tradecraft in San Francisco offers full time, 12-week immersive bootcamp programs for smart, motivated people who want to get into tech. Tradecraft offers courses in Sales & Business Development, Growth Marketing, Product Design and Engineering.

The program has been designed by industry-leading experts to ensure that students graduate with the depth and breadth of knowledge to make meaningful contributions from day one at a high-growth startup. Tradecraft students work with a large group of world-class mentors and a small group of inspiring peers. Students gain real work experience during the course of the program by working on projects for Silicon Valley companies.

Tradecraft’s unique approach to training means that graduates will have access to programs and resources until they get a job. Tradecraft offers ongoing mentorship and support to their alumni.

Recent tradecraft Reviews: Rating 4.94

all (137) reviews for tradecraft →

Recent tradecraft News

• Business Development & Sales

Sales
    San Francisco
    The Business Development & Sales Track at Tradecraft is for individuals who want to learn how to drive startups forward. Members of this track often come in with entrepreneurial aspirations or are focused on joining a startup as an early business hire, where their critical value comes not just from the first customers or revenue that they generate, but also from their ability to accelerate the company toward product/market fit. The track is also well-suited for those who are interested in learning how to build partnerships with other customers, employees, organizations, or investors.
  • Growth

R, Digital Marketing, SQL, Excel, Growth Hacking, SEO
    San Francisco
    The Tradecraft Growth track offers it's members a deep dive into every step of the startup customer engagement funnel from user acquisition to retention to revenue and referral. While in the program, students do projects to explore various channels by working with practicing mentors in the field and participating in project for real startups.
  • Product Design

San Francisco
    The Product Design Track offers individuals with previous experience the opportunity develop and design real products alongside Silicon Valley startups. Curriculum and projects allow students students to build skills like: Customer Development User Research Wireframing Interaction Design User Interface Design Prototyping Content & Copy

• Margaux

I moved to the Bay Area to be a part of the first class of Tradecraft and it was insturmental in helping me land my dream job. Tradecraft's curriculum serves a wide range of individuals from those breaking into tech and startups to students who are looking to hone specific skills or identify their passions and identify their next opportunity. Tradecraft helped me to quickly get up to speed on Silicon Valley and learn the companies, individuals and resources that are available. As a lover of efficiency, I appreciate that this took 3 months, not a year and a half. The Tradecraft team was very supportive and helpful throughout the program and my job search process.

I enjoyed the ability to learn and then immediately apply the curriculum with startups that we worked with. We had the opportunity to focus on soft skills (personal development and EQ) which I found as helpful, if not more than the hard skills I walked away with. Finally, I'm really appreciative of the ongoing network and community that I am a part of -- and growing!

• Lauralynn • Director of Marketing & Growth • Graduate
    Most amazing experience of my life. In 3 months, I went from an SEO / Content Strategist for small businesses to Director of Growth for an early-stage startup. I received career training, personal development training, and entrepreneurial training. Tradecraft revolutionized the way I think about marketing. Highly recommend if you want to focus on growth, sales & business development, Dev or UX for startups. Regarding the decision to attend Tradecraft vs a more traditional learning institution ... Know how you run into old college buddies and think "Oh yea! John hasn't changed a bit! Good 'ole John!"? That doesn't happen with Tradecraft graduates. Once they've got the TC momentum of discovering, iterating and absorbing, they continue - and you can see that personal evolution even a year later.
  • Worth It
    - 7/9/2015
    Vivian • Engagement Marketer • Graduate

As a member of the first class, I thought attending Tradecraft and giving up 3 months of a working salary while also paying tuition would be a big risk, not to mention that it was a brand new (and unproven) program at the time. It was the best decision I made for my career so far.  The return on investment has been more than worth it, and this program has accelerated my career at least 2-3 years.  I am very happy to be working at my current company now, and I was definitely a much more competitive candidate in the job market after the program. As a member of the Growth track, I can't speak highly enough of our mentor instructors--Graham Hunter and Will Bunker.  Graham's dedication in teaching and challenging us to go beyond and teach ourselves made this educational experience unlike any others I've experienced.  Will's career advice and encouragement taught me more about my own motivations to seek fulfillment in my career.  Ultimately, it was Graham who made the crucial introduction that led to my current position--all because he told me about a tech meet up after class.  Kudos also to the founders Misha Chellam and Russ Klusas who selected an excellent first cohort.  I learned as much from my fellow classmates as I did from our instructors and industry mentors.   I would recommend this course for people who know they want to break into or accelerate their tech careers.  Opportunities to learn and to network are presented to you, but you do have to be highly motivated and hard-working to take advantage of them to the fullest.  It's not a program to hold your hand.  Instead, it's a program that will open doors for you and introduce you to people you probably wouldn't meet otherwise.  You'll have to work to reap the benefits, but they are well worth it.

• Drake Ballew • Growth • Graduate

About me: I went through Tradecraft (TC) in the fifth cohort's Growth Marketing track. I wrote answers to FAQs from prospective students on my blog, in case this and other reviews aren't comprehensive enough. About TC: Size/stage depends on you, but Tradecraft prepares you to work at tech companies. Through various mechanisms, some intentional and others not, TC forces students to learn and work both cooperatively and independently, advocate for themselves and their needs, and manage their time and relationships. These are probably the three most valuable skills anyone can master, and they are essential to anyone who works in or hopes to break into tech, especially on the non-technical side of things.

Strengths:

Internal Network -- Tradecraft students and alumni are fantastic people and a rich group to learn from and lean on professionally.  External Network -- Tradecraft's founders and instructors are well-connected and happy to leverage their connections for students. Mentors -- Mentors might more accurately be called Speakers. They come in for Q&A sessions with current students (and occassionally alums) and have been known to help students professionally. Learning Environment -- Students are forced to focus their learning and advocate for themselves when they get stuck. There aren't many, if any, freebies. Projects -- Students work with startups to solve problems and gain experience. Instructors -- TC instructors are wonderful people and experienced practitioners in their given fields.

Weaknesses:

In my time there, Tradecraft's curriculum was basically a compilation of free online resources that we were guided through. I felt like we skimmed the surface in class and needed to devote most of my free time to developing a more limited, selective skillset.

Overall ​Recommendation: Highly recommended. The softness of the curriculum was disappointing, but the network, projects, and overall exposure have more than paid themselves off. Bottom line, Tradecraft is a great jumping off point for anyone looking to get started in tech.

• Nico Ungari • Growth Lead • Graduate

Tradecraft proved to be one of the best investments in terms of time and money I have ever made. It has all the components of a great teaching environment: well-structured curriculums, experienced teachers, projects to get hands-on experience, and a stellar network of industry experts.

Where Tradecraft differs from the rest is an environment of highly selected peers to challenge your thoughts and make you grow, as a professional and as a person. The environment is optimized to challenge you and give you the tools and mindset to achieve great results in your career.

A professional playground you will hardly forget.

• Anonymous • Account Manager • Graduate

Tradecraft is one of the best decisions I've made, not just for my career, but in life. It's rare that we are afforded the opportunity to focus on our personal and professional development, in parallel, for 12 straight weeks. Tradecraft encourages you to do just that. The program fosters a culture where you are inspired by your peers, instructors, and industry mentors to challenge yourself and grow as much as possible. In the end, you will develop your strengths, grow your network, expand your acumen, and trade expertise with some of the most talented people you'll ever meet. You'll also have an action plan for locking in a role at the company of your dreams. You'll have the skills to proactively assess and target those companies, find your internal champion, navigate the interview process, and negotiate an offer. You'll be able to articulate the value you bring to the table and what you are capable of doing for that organization. They will benefit from your Tradecraft network as well!

• Ben R • UX Designer • Graduate

Tradecraft was an excellent experience.

For 12 weeks, I got to build a network of talented people, while rapidly developing my abilities as a UX designer. At the end, my reward was a role at a tech company I love to report to every day.

If you go into Tradecraft with a specific goal, Misha, Russ, and the rest of the crew at TC will help you cut through the clutter and stay laser focused on the stuff that matters most. I'd recommend Tradecraft to any self-driven individual who is ready to jumpstart the next phase of their career.

• Lucy Dotson • UX Designer • Graduate

Going to Tradecraft has proved to be one of the best choices I've made career-wise.

I was a copywriter who wanted to pursue something different. At Tradecraft, I developed the skills I needed to get a foot in the door.

Tradecraft rigourously prepares you to work in fast-paced, creative environments. From the rapidly evolving curriculum to instructors who inspire, support and challenge you on the daily, it's an electric experience.

Tradecraft's unstructured design challenges you to excercise a different muscle than traditional schooling. Here, you're responsible for your own goals, prioirities and limits--and defining them is half of the fun.

At Tradecraft, you can do all of the above with a smile, because you're surrounded by interesting, passionate and driven peers. The connections I made at Tradecraft were an essential part of the experience, and I plan to be a part of the Tradecraft community for a long time.

• A great decision
    - 7/2/2015
    Lyle McKeany • co-founder • Graduate

I have written publicly about my experience at Tradecraft (TC) previously on Medium, but thought it would be helpful to include it here, as well.

Here's a snippet from my post entitled The Tradecraft Effect:

TC is not a school in the traditional sense. There are no tests, there are no grades, and you technically aren’t required to do all the assignments. TC is much more than a school. In fact, it’s a movement away from traditional schooling. In school you just need to learn the material that will be on the test in order to pass, which is part of why many people coming out of college have trouble working in early-stage startups. I like to think of TC as more of a people accelerator. They’re looking for people who are intrinsically motivated, are thirsty for more in their careers, and are willing to put their lives on hold to get to where they want to go.

And another:

While I may have been able to get to where I’m at without joining TC, it would have taken much longer to assemble a comparable and growing support network of friends and colleagues. The value of TC extends well beyond the awesome job you end up landing after the program is over and makes the $12,000 look like a steal. If you’re on the fence about attending, my advice is to jump all-in and bet on yourself. You won’t regret it.

My contact info is on the Medium post. Feel free to reach out if you have questions.

• This is a review
    - 7/2/2015
    Angelo Fu • Graduate

I had a wonderful time at Tradecraft. When I decided to apply, I really had no idea what I was getting into, and when I decided to enroll, I really didn't know what I was getting into. One of the things a classmate said to me while I was in the program has stuck with me: "Look, if you do what they say, it works." He was a cohort ahead of me, and at the time, I wasn't sure it was true. It was. The environment and culture at TC is optimized to help you achieve your goals, whether that's to break into tech from the first time, or to hone a specific set of skills in preparation for a stretch role, or whatever else. It's a self-directed program that where you really get out what you put in. When I talk about Tradecraft, some of my friends tell me it's like I'm talking about the best time in my life, and when I talk to current students in the program, I can see what they are saying. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

• Anonymous • UX Designer • Graduate

Inspiring instructors Fantastic culture, students who make it happen Awesome mentors $12k and 3-months is a lot to give-up to take a course at Tradecraft.   I would recommend Tradecraft over General Assembly in a heartbeat. Doing Tradecraft is cheaper and faster than 2 years of Grad School ( spending $80k+ and 2 years in HCI) to get a job upon graduation.  Are you motivated? Are you interested in changing your career? Are you interested in coding, growth, UX or sales? If so, Tradecraft can help you.  Why it's worth it:  1. Personal Development sessions with Shawn Plunkett 2. Learning UX with Kate Rutter and Laura Klein 3. The people & culture!! 4. Career Development with Misha Chellam and Brett Hunter 5. Inspiring Q&As with mentors (i.e. Ryan Hoover, Noah Kagan, Seth Godin, and Gagan Biyani, ..the list goes on!) There isn't much on the Tradecraft website, so I recommend doing some digging on your own (read the Medium articles written by Tradecraft students, follow Tradecraft Twitter accounts and etc.)

• Michael Sun • User Experience Designer • Student

I was a part of the first cohort in the user experience track under the tutelage of Kate Rutter and Laura Klein. Tradecraft was just getting established at the time, and there was a lot of good energy in we were all helping each other accelerate our careers. The lessons learned in the ux field and in general networking were invaluable. The real-world experience is what sets Tradecraft apart from other programs - to have actual portfolio pieces with real-world results is important. Misha and Russ run a great program, and Tradecraft is the real deal. It certainly accelerated my career for the better.

Tradecraft provides a wholesome and wonderful experience! In addition to the focus of your choosen cirriculum, there are two courses focused in career and personal development that all run in parallel. I found this to be really valuable in conjunction with the UX design cirriculum, as it helped me to grow as person and designer to be better prepared for the job search. The UX cirriculum was a great way to become familar with the standard principles of UX design, I felt that I got a great foundation and understanding of this practice.

• Amanda Holt • Content Developer • Graduate

Awesome experience with whip smart people. I was in the very first class at TC and enjoyed what I learned and the people I got to meet, from my classmates, to the instructors, to the amazing mentors collected along the way. Glad I took 12 weeks out of my life to experience Tradecraft!

• Anonymous • Founder • Graduate

I worked a few years in tech startups before joining Tradecraft. I thought they were cool. In the past year since exiting the program, I created a company with somebody I had met through Tradecraft, applied to Y Combinator, got in, raised money, and am now hiring. So, yeah...they call that "leveling up." It happens at Tradecraft.

A few words for the wise: Tradecraft is a great place to "find yourself," but those months are precious. I strongly recommend having some very specific goals in place at the outset. Also, do you need a lot of structure? Figure out how to build it yourself.

If you're willing to dive in, find positive ways to push yourself, and can truly open your mind to possibility, you'll find a lot of opportunity in Tradecraft.

• s.n. • Graduate

I was so lucky to have found Tradecraft. It was exactly what I needed in my life and career at the right time. After 10 years of prior work experience in UX, I felt I needed to expand my skillset and grow. With little background in marketing or analytics, I learnt a tremendous amount in the Growth track, which was both hugely informative and challenging. You could literally watch my knowledge horizon expand.

What I hadn't realized was how much else Tradecraft would give me in addition to that. I learned about startups, equity, applying for jobs, and personal development. And if that wasn't enough, I gained an amazing new family, a network, coaches, and a job. Tradecraft is a really supportive family. I've never clicked with people so easily before as I did with my cohort at Tradecraft. And the instructors continue to have my back, like guardian angels. I couldn't be more grateful.

Tradecraft was by far, one of the best investments I've made in my career. It primed me for a tough job market here in Silicon Valley and helped me outgrow any other experience that I could have gained in a period of 3 months. Yes, it's not cheap, but the founders will do whatever is in their power to help you succeed.

If you're motivated and believe in yourself -- great things can be achieved from here. The salary post-graduation speak for themselves: a few of my friends are now making more than $100K with a job in growth, sales, or design.

• Daisy Wang • Graduate

I had a very positive experience at Tradecraft.  1. I was in UX track. The UX curriculum allows you to learn the essentials of user research and interaction design through projects. The instructors (Kate Rutter and Laura Klein) are so experienced. You can learn anything UX from them.  2. In addition to the instructors, we also have a personal development coach in house, allowing us to not only grow professionally but also personally.  3. We have tons of top-notch investors and practioners coming in to give talks. Nothing competes with learning from the best.  4. People. The energy is uplifting. Everyone here works hard and is genuinely interested in each others' success.

• Pierluca Martella • Product Manager • Graduate

Attending Tradecraft has been an amazing experience.  I met amazing people, outstanding instructors and had the possibility to learn from the best mentors in the Silicon Valley.

As a student of the Growth track  I have to say that Graham Hunter and Will Bunker are simply the best instructors you can ask for. They are very knowledgeable, prepared, have first-hand experience due to their awesome career, and always available to help and give good advice.

The best part of Tradecraft is that I wasn't only studying, but I was also involved in real projects with real startups, so I was able to have a first-hand experience in Growth and marketing.

The entire experience gave a real boost to my career and I came out of the program being way more competitive in the job market: I was able to pivot my career and change industry, even though I had to deal with immigration issues and ask for a VISA sponsor.

I definitely recommend this program for people who are passionate about the tech industry, the startup world and want to pursue a tech career. The value of the program, the mentors, the network and the opportunities that will come after you graduate are totally worth the investment to be part of the Tradecraft family.

Special thanks to the founders Misha Chellam and Russ Klusas, who built an amazing family, brought together smart people, gave us access to exceptional knowledge and are always inspiring and supportive.

• scott hutter • UX Designer • Graduate

I went through the UX immersive. It was everything I wanted and more.

Prior to Tradecraft I was freelancing. I began researching immersive programs because I wanted to level up and accelerate my career. Mostly, I wanted mentorship and to surround myself with like-minded individuals.

After interviewing with a few other immersive programs I began to loose hope. Most of the programs out there felt like for profit colleges that just wanted to take your money. Then one day, through a UX email list, I recieved an email about Tradecraft's immersive program. Skeptical, but curious, I proceeded with the application process. Shortly there after I was contacted by Misha (one of the founders). We spoke on the phone, then met in person. I asked him some difficult questions to which he answered without hesitation.

Immediately after that interview I knew I wanted to be a part of Tradecraft. After a several months of researching I had found what I was looking for.

The people, the instruction, and the opportunity is unparalleled. If you're on the fence, apply. Ask your hard questions. What have you got to lose?

• Tautvydas Gylys • Product Manager • Graduate

That was the most important 3 months that accelerated my career by few years at least. From being UX + UI freelancer before the programme, I landed as a Product Manager after it. I am from Lithuania, so Tradecraft was the unique chance to understand and get the feeling of the Silicon Valley. Besides learning the craft of UX, I learnt how to set my goals, how to achieve them, how to network and how to make an impact.  Few months ago I came back to San Francisco. The contacts made during the programme made me feel like at home. It was easy to arrange meetings with Dropbox, Pinterest, Autocad people to learn from them further.

Coming into the program, I had two goals: work on a growth team at a small/medium sized company and to network with growth professionals in the Bay Area. After graduating, I now work on a growth team and have a ton of connections - and most people are only an email or two away.

• Nate Desmond • Graduate

Attending Tradecraft accelerated my career by 2-3 years. In late 2013, I was just wrapping up my degree in business while working at a startup in Texas. Through a friend, I happened upon a post about Tradecraft, and I immediately applied because it looked like the perfect next step after graduation.

Much to my surprise, I was accepted for the first class, so I packed my bags and moved across the country to San Francisco. Over the next three months, I worked with amazing people, pushed myself to my limits, and luxuriated in learning about marketing.

After graduation, I got an opportunity to work for Adecco at YouTube were I now get to market cutting-edge products at one of the best companies in the world. I really can't speak too highly of Tradecraft, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to go places in their career.

• Overall Experience:
    Being a part of this program last year was the BEST career decision I have made to date. It will be well worth your time and money! It not only taught me essential business skills, and opened up doors that were not previously opening, but also gave me the opportunity to build relationships and mentorships with experts in multiple industries!
  • Ina • Graduate

I recently graduated from the growth track, and loved every moment of it. As a recent college graduate, I decided to attend so I would learn skills directly applicable to startups — so I could make an impact on day one in my new role.

I also wrote a Medium post, How Twitter Changed My Life, about my decision to attend Tradecraft.    Tradecraft partners with high growth startups for students to apply their new skills on projects, gaining industry experience. My growth projects included ReadMe (a developer documentation portal) and Drop (an iPad connected kitchen scale). It was a great opportunity to apply what I learned in the growth curriculum to a real startup.    CEOs and founders visit Tradecraft to speak about their startup, and Heads of Growth/Sales&BD/UX come to speak to those respective tracks. Mentors range from Gagan Biyani (Co-founder and CEO of Sprig), Hiten Shah (Co-founder of Kissmetrics and Crazy Egg), Zack Onisko (Head of Growth at Autodesk), and Jared Fliesler (General Partner at Matrix Partners — here's a blog post I wrote about Jared's visit to Tradecraft:  Work, Work, Work Some More) — just to name a few.    Students build strong relationships with these mentors, and many have gone on to work at these startups. The mentors also make intros to folks at companies where students want to work. Also, some of Tradecraft curriculum projects turn into full-time job offers.    Tradecraft has great full time career and personal development coaches, that students meet with throughout the program to discuss: personal and career goals, strategies, networking, how to evaluate companies, resume & Linkedln reviews, interview prep, and evaluating offers.    I highly recommend Tradecraft. Feel free to tweet me @inaherlihy with any questions.