startup-institute-logo

Startup Institute

Boston, Chicago, New York City

Startup Institute

Startup Institute offers 12-week, part-time, immersive tracks in Web Design, Web Development, Digital Marketing, and Sales and Account Management in Boston, Massachusetts. Startup Institute also provides a series of introductory classes in Ruby, Web Design, Digital Marketing, and JavaScript that meet one evening per week. The immersive program features 1 to 4 weeks of preparatory skills support, followed by a 12-week immersive experience meeting evenings and weekends. Students split up into web development, web design, marketing, and sales and account management tracks for skills-training and consultancy projects; and then come together for career development workshops and mentorship. Startup Institute instructors are professional local practitioners who are experts in the subjects they teach, using real-world examples and a curriculum that can be applied to actual work environments.

The immersive course is geared towards career changers, and people who want to work in innovative companies, and includes two months of dedicated career counseling post-graduation. To apply, students need to complete an online application, schedule an admissions interview, complete an admissions homework assignment, and have a final interview with a program director. Startup Institute looks at personality and drive to see if applicants are a good fit for their classroom culture, methodology, and for many of the companies they partner with.

Startup Institute has graduated over 1000 alumni, and they're currently working at over 500 companies around the globe. As the program's alumni network continues to grow Startup Institute aims to keep alumni connected and supported throughout their careers.

Recent Startup Institute Reviews: Rating 4.63

all (72) reviews for Startup Institute →

Recent Startup Institute News

Read all (34) articles about Startup Institute →
  • Introduction to Coding (Ruby on Rails)

Git, PHP, Python, Rails, Ruby
    $859
    Boston
    This class will teach you the programming language used by developers to build websites, games, and applications. Learn how to solve real-world problems with code and what it takes to create interactive web applications. You’ll complete the class with a solid understanding of the language and a series of web applications to add to your portfolio. You’ll also be introduced to industry tools such as Github, Unix, and Sublime. This class is great for coding novices who want to learn the fundamentals of web development.
    $895
    Beginner
    Interview
  • Introduction to Web Design (UX/UI)

HTML, Design, User Experience Design, CSS
    $859
    Boston
    This class will teach you the fundamentals of HTML5, CSS3, and the principles of responsive design. Gain front-end coding skills and build a web experience for your portfolio that will function seamlessly across devices. This class is perfect for aspiring UX/UI designers, graphic designers who want to learn to code, back-end developers who want to build a front-end skill set, web designers who are new to responsive design, and entrepreneurs who want to build their own website.
    $895
    Beginner
    Interview

• Darren Tseng • VP Product • Graduate

Before I ended up at StartUp Insitute, I had a variety of odd jobs all related to the startup tech scene, but I was unhappy as I wasn't able to convert into the developer world (mostly stuck as an intern or entry level employee). I had signed up into the product track (which became webdesign) - which was a mix of front-end development, UIUX design, and product development/management. Over the course of two months, the staff and team at SI Boston helped tremendously in advancing the knowledge of myself and other classmates. After graduating, within a month - I had landing a frontend developer role and first employee at a financial technology startup and ended up developing the complete frontend of their application in AngualrJS. I stayed their for a while but since then, I've advanced my developer skillset to include Angular 1.5/2, React-Redux, and Python... I just started a company with 2 of my colleagues and have fundraised and am now Co-founder & VP of Product and will be looking for SI alumni in the future for hiring!

• SI
    - 2/25/2018
    Albina   User Photo
    Albina • Software engineer Verified via LinkedIn

Startup institute teaches soft and hard skills in four programs. It was a great experience, tons of energy and hard work from everybody. Highly recommended if you want to get a job after finishing. As with any program, you have to asses your skills and to see where the program can help to improve them. Don’t expect college classes style here because it isn’t. it is a brief introduction of the tech world, and it will help you to get a job in that industry as well.

• Coerced & Unstable
    - 5/22/2018
    HidingAnonymously • Graduate

Many reviews below were most likely created by former employers & students who were incentivized to or coerced into leaving positive content. Don't dare to give a negative review as you'll be targeted by the employees.

As a former "student", none of the candidates in our Web Dev program were able to get a job within their field. Less than 50% of our group as a whole were able to get a job, which includes jobs outside of our field.

You will not find any hard-skills in this program, only some subjective "soft-skills". Although SI advertises themselves as having a significant reach in terms of networking, it mostly consists of being connected via LinkedIn, without any true substance between the connected.

Although we had 2 significantly impressive instructors, we only saw them a couple times for lecture. Some came in without a curriculum or even after a night of drinking.

We did have individual/group meetings with various employees, but unfortunately, we were immediately dropped after "graduating" and we had to fight hard for our continuous support, which was promised upon starting the program. Even still, we were constantly starting from Day 1 as the employee never remembered our status during our application processes.

Although they offered help with resumes, it would take a month to finally get a final resume ready. For example, it took an employee a full week to read the first draft with the only constructive comment, "I don't like the font of your title", despite other issues clear & present on the document.

With all of the issues we were having, we decided to try and have a private meeting which was then crashed by one of their employees. The fear is real as we feel isolated and caged from SI's "network" & use of unethical power.

Although they're all smiles up front, there is no real substance nor support, and it becomes incredibly cliquey in the end with sub-groups distancing each other.

• Great Community
    - 2/14/2018
    Ryan • Account Executive • Graduate

Startup Institute is really what you make of it.  If you take advantage of the network and fully invest yourself you can really make some seriouse changes in your professional life.  In my opinion the network is the most valuable part of the experience.  When I left the program I had more than enough offers to pick a great job that I couldn't be happier with.

• Keith Johnson • Software Engineer • Graduate

Startup Institute will supply you with extremely useful resources and an amazing network. These will allow you to get a spot in the tech industry. But SI isn't just concerned with getting you the next job. It's concerned with getting you the job after that, and the job after that, etc. After going to Startup Institute, you WILL have a permanent spot in the tech industry so long as you put in the effort.

For the web development program - if you're a Ruby on Rails novice, don't expect to be an expert once you get out of the program. It's not about learning the technology from the ground up. Instead, focus on completing a tangible project that demonstrates your skills. This would typically come in the form of a Ruby on Rails webapp. As such, you should come into Startup Institute with some preliminary knowledge. If you don't have that, you should at least complete an online course (I believe SI gives you a One Month subscription).

You will work with your instructors and mentors in order to develop said project. At the same time, you will make use of the network in order to set up coffee chats and interviews. This is a TON of work, so you should expect to be putting in 60-70 hours a week.

One thing - Startup Institute assigns you to an existing startup company in which you will be doing a project for them. If that project is sufficiently technical (it may not), that can be your dedicated project that was mentioned above. I wouldn't suggest working on more than one project throughout the program.

• Rachel • Graduate

I attended the full-time Digital Marketing program. I left SI in a much better place to find a job in marketing than when I started the program -- so overall, my experience was a success. SI does a great job of connecting you with professionals (and just basically really good people) in the startup scene. If you take your leaders' advice and work your connections, you will be able to find a job coming out of the program. In terms of technical skills/curriculum, you need to put the work in yourself to develop those skills that are most important to you. Talk to your team and instructors and ask for help and/or direction when you need it.

• It got me a Job
    - 1/30/2017
    Jorge • QA engineer • Graduate

After come from another country and have no idea how things work in America, I could learn a lot about soft skills, Job hunting, and how startups work in Boston. Startup Institute also help me to make enough connections to land a Job two weeks after the course finish. My experience was great and I don't regret anything about going.

• David C. • Currently an MFA candidate • Student

The StartUp Institute prioritizes acquainting students with and ultimately preparing students for employment in the Start Up world.  It is not a place only to learn to program.  The philosophy at SIB was that coding skills (or marketing skills) are not the only thing companies look for and are not the only thing that land people a job.  The other facets of the program had to do with those other skills (social, personal, networking skills) that contribute to finding employment that you enjoy.  Even beyond that though, the institute wanted to prepare you for life in the Start Up world once you find a position.  And also how to look for positions that suit your specific personality type and preferences.  The other huge aspect was community (social events etc.) because there was a sense that you would carry your SIB connections with you as you looked for a job and then as you continued your career.  The only thing I did not entirely vibe with was the sort of inspirational stuff (hearing CEO's tell their stories) but even that had an element of accounting for useful connections.

• Reggie • Content Marketing Specialist • Graduate

Overall a great experience. Met a lot of talented people that I consider to be my colleagues. Not particularly great for technical skill building, but great at building a solid network and core competency at navigating a startup environment. Made a huge career shift thanks to SI and am now at a job that I love only 3 months after graduating. A job that I probably wouldn't have if I didn't attend SI.

- 1/9/2017
    Johnil • Software Engineer • Graduate

Overall a great experience. From a web development perspective, it might be difficult to prioritize the curriculum and the soft skills teaching if you don't have prior experience in development. Nonetheless, I believe the skills taught are essential. I had a job before the program ended.

• Edwin Plotts • Growth Strategist • Graduate

It is what you make it - so the real hustlers stood above the rest. I had some digital marketing experience beforehand (and signed up for the marketing track) so for me the blend of hard skills and soft skills was just right.

The best thing, however, was definitely the networking. Industry leaders and startup leaders who are currently in the trenches came in to mentor us - and left their contact info wth the offer to grab coffee. If you put in the hustle, SI and rocket launch you into a career and network in the NYC tech/innovation scene.

I was hired by Ladder.io before the program finished, and I'm currently enjoying my dream job.

• Past Student
    - 7/18/2016
    Eliza • Student

I'd heard about the Start Up Institute from previous students who were also alumaes of my college, and recommended that I attend.  As I was working at the time, I did a part time night course.   The course was an intro to coding, with a focus on Ruby.  All in all, the syllabus was very inclusive, setting up a good foundation for anyone who would want a basis in coding or an introduction to coding without having to commit a large amount of time and money to doing so.

The course began; the building was beautiful and as I mentioned earlier, I really appreaciated the night class, as most of the people in my class seemed to be young professionals (like me) who wouldn't have been able to take the class otherwise.

That being so, it wasn't the most enjoyable course.  This was mainly due to the aggressive sales approach, which made me partially dread coming to the course.  When I began, I had interviewed with someone from the Boston location and then received a tour of the building in the NYC location from  an NYC coordinator/sales person.  From the second class, the latter began to talk about me signing up for the full-time course or the part-time course.  I also received emails/calls about doing so while taking the course.

I eventually told her that I couldn't sign up (aka lay off) as work was too hard and my schedule was not predictable. In fact, I ended up dropping out of the part time course, due to my work schedule.  I then switched to a job in consulting (which means far worse hours).

After I did so, both Startup Institute contacts reached out to me.  I made it pretty clear that my hours would make it impossible for me to take a course.  The Boston representative seemed fine with this, but a couple of weeks later I received a phone call from the NYC rep saying that I needed to "get back on track."  Okay.  I ignored it.  Then, I began to get email after email.  Since I had already stated multiple times that I could not take a course, I ignored them.  No worries, because she then texted me on my personal cell.  I emailed once again stating I had no interest and then I blocked her number/email.

All in all, it left me with a bad taste in my mouth.  Not only was she more invasive than any other sales person I have encountered but it became very stressful, since apparently everything I said was ignored in favor of her getting more sales or a bonus.  After hearing about friends who had such life-changing experiences at the school, it was a letdown.  Had it not been for that sales approach, I would have tried harder to make it work, to take another course, and to recommend the school to friends.

• A Great Experience
    - 5/25/2016
    Joshua Litchfield • Visual Designer • Graduate

This is one of the best decisions that I've made in regards to my career growth and development. I'd been designing professionally for several years after graduating with my BFA. I didn't have a lot of new things that I could show in my portflio due to my NDA. SI was going to be an outlet to allow me to do that and grow personally and professionally. Also, I wanted to really grow my network in a meaningful way. I was not not only able to network with many amazing alumni and industry people I was able to speak with and have coffee with founders of some amazing startups in the area.

Overall Curriculum

Days are broken up with morning standup where we learn important things as a team. Then we speak with industry leading executive level employess at the top startups in the Boston area, which is amazing. After that we do some learning that involves the entire cohort. There is a real emphasis on "not being an asshole" and having empathy and learning about the ins and outs the startup world.

In-track Curriculum

The course work for the web design track was varied and covered many subjects. However, as a person that has been in the industry for several years there wasn't too much that I didn't know, to be honest. There was some courses where I learned new subject areas and that was really cool allowing me to take deeper dives on my own time.

Allan, Rich and Stephanie are amazing. They are a great team and are awesome instructors and work tirelessly for all students in the program. They really went above and beyond to make me feel like I was the only one there when we had a cohort of 45 people.

In my opinion, between the network that I grew and the job placement this is what truly separates SI apart from other bootcamps - that and community. The community is amazing. Not only are your classmates working really hard to help you land that dream job, SI is designed so that everything you do from the first day you get there until however long it takes for you find a job they are helping you.

• Anonymous • Senior Engineer • Graduate

I had a great time at SIB. I learned a lot, met a large number of interesting and influential instructors, and enjoyed the company of my classmates. I also got a very strong job offer quickly - for a pretty high level, interesting, and well compensated programming position at a Boston area startup that had just closed a Series A and was (and still is) growing rapidly. I did learn a lot going through the curriculum and attending classes, but I feel that the strength of my classmates and of the alumni network are what really caused SI to pay off.

I also think potential boot camp applicants should know 2 things that separate SI from other boot camps. First, it is explicitly startup focused, which means both the student body and partner companies are a self selecting bunch that have a lot in common. Second, it is run for the benefit of the students and the startup community; its fees are far lower than most boot camps because the point is to provide a sustained influx of diverse talent to the startup community.

Startup Institute challenges its students to be honest with themselves about their strengths and what inspires them. The instructors come from industry to help students learn the real-world skills they need to be successful in either their dream job or a job that sets them on that path. The staff then works tirelessly to put folks in roles that fulfill those criteria. This is one of the most supportive communities I have ever been a part of. Cannot recommend it enoguh.

• Awesome.
    - 5/18/2016
    Nichol Alexander • Full Stack Developer • Graduate

Coming into Startup Institute with a good ammount of experience and skill, I wasn't sure exactly what my take away was going to be.  What I found was an amazing community that was supportive, energetic, optimistic, and engaged in helping me, my fellow classmates, and the alumni, further our careers and pursue the things we were passionate about.  While it may not be the most technically focused course, I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to be involved in startups and to anyone who has really committed to a career change.  I have since been lucky enough to serve as a mentor to subsequent classes and be involved in helping the program develop.  I absolutely love them and recommend them without reservation.

• KRISTEN • Marketing Manager • Graduate

The Startup Institute isn't just a career accelerator or a skill-specific bootcamp. And it's not just a hybrid of the two, as it also provides life coaching, network building, friendship making, and hands-on/real scenario learning.  The SI curriculum is thoughtfullly created and constantly being iterated upon (sometimes mid-session) to incorporate student and alumni feedback. It is designed such that you have the freedom to choose different paths within the curriculum, are tasked with the responsibility to determine the best path for you, but are granted the security that there is no wrong path. You will benefit, grow, learn, and succeed even by meeting the bare minimum. Not only do you learn skills specific to your track (Marketing, Sales, Web Design, Web Development), you learn about the other tracks, what they entail, and how they work together with respect to specific problems and larger company missions. You are learn enough about yourself--your passions, your gifts, your desires, your strengths, your areas of improvement--such that you can tell your story (from the past), use it as a tool (for your present), and use it as a compass (for your future). In addition to the tactical skills and introspective education, SI provides three more major benefits:  a network that will grow and support you until the end of time, hands on experience with real startups and real problems, and the simulation of a startup environment (thanks to its beautiful curriculum). All of this prepares you to find a job you love, stay in the job you love, and to continue to grow and thrive in the tech startup community for years to come!

• Susan • Web Developer • Graduate

Startup Institute's program is an experience that I wish everyone could take part in. The people who run the program weave technical instruction together with direction in professional and personal growth in such a way that each and every student leaves with the knowledge, confidence and tools to bring excellence to the industry.

Actually, as graduates, we never leave Startup Institute. We become part of thier community. As alumni, our cohort regulary gets together to socialize and share experiences. It does not stop there, our cohort is just a part of the entire community of graduates that come together a couple times a year to have fun, support each other, continue to grow our networks and pay forward.

Startup Institute's cohort is a combination of students pursuing Sales, Technical Marketing, Design and Web Development. One of the best experiences is working on a partner project with students from each discipline. We work as a group to find solutions to real problems in the industry. Going to the partner's office and working side-by-side with their people provides experience unequal to any found in a classroom.

That said, the classroom work at Startup Institute provides a deep understanding of required tools and the current issues facing the industry. The classes are run by professionals who work in the field, bringing real life experience and knowledge to every subject. The classwork is challenging, bringing you up to speed quickly.

The experience comes down to the people who run it. They are truly awesome in all they do.

Upon reflection, Startup Institute didn't give me the guidance sought. Some counselors were more helpful than others. I didnt have a job for 4 months after graduation. Most jobs couldnt overlook the short term experience of only 2 months. Some counselors didn't answer my emails after the graduation. Terrible post graduation help. Their advice consisted of cold emailing random people at interesting companies and asking for coffee. There, I saved you 6K.

• Former Student
    - 5/17/2016

Startup Institute does an excellent job of recruiting a diverse group of creative, motivated, and hardworking students.  The Sales and Account Management track gives students small-group access to instructors working at all levels of sales organizations at a variety of startups, ranging from early stage companies (scrappy three-person startups) to some of the hottest, larger emerging companies in the tech world (e.g., Twitter, The Muse).  Through a variety of exercises, from lead list generation and CRM use, to cold calling and emailing, to handling customer objections and closing, instructors take students through lessons covering the entire sales funnel with a great deal of one-on-one attention.  The program incorporates mock interviews and job counseling, and culminates in an opportunity for students to pitch themselves as valuable employees on a stage in front of hundreds of local startups.

• Anonymous • SQA Engineer • Graduate

I attended the Startup Institute's web development track during the summer of 2015. It was a great experience. I dramatically expanded my professional network and met many of the local leaders in the tech startup industry. I transitioned into web development from an entirely different career -- I was an English professor -- and by following SI staff's advice I was able to land a half-dozen interviews, two job offers, and one career that I love. Startup Institute's support for students in their job search is real. Highly recommended.

• Anonymous • CTO • Graduate

Startup Institute is not your typical bootcamp, in that it's not just coding, but rather four separate tracks running in tandem: Designers, Developers, Marketers, and Sales. This unique structure really worked well for those ready to take advantage of the collaborative opportunities offered through the program. I went through as a developer and came out more knowledgeable about marketing and sales than I anticipated, and it's been a great boon to my job hunting skills. It's great to be able to say you're a UX designer, but to be able to show that you've done more than that and can sell the product too – that's what lands you the job!

• Anonymous • VP Business Development • Graduate

After working to get a couple startups off the ground, I realized I needed a bigger network and additional knowledge/skills to really make a difference at a young, growing company. I found Startup Institute to be just the career accelerator to build on my business development foundation and prepare me to fuel growth at the next startup I joined.

The dynamic 8 week program introduced me to the people and companies that make up the Chicago tech ecosystem. Being immersed was energizing and rewarding for both my hard skills and soft skills development. I learned way more than I expected about early stage companies and the factors that contribute to their success.

The frameworks and methodologies I picked up at the Startup Institute by real startup practitioners have helped me succeed in my current role. I really enjoyed the hands on learning and partner projects that allowed me to quickly apply the newly acquired skills.

The alumni network has been a huge benefit since completing the program. Startup Institute continues to host events to support the network and tech community in Chicago, and I find it to be a great way to connect with so many likeminded people. I also credit the alumni network with helping land my current role.

• Road to happiness
    - 5/16/2016
    Ryan McDonald • Senior UX Engineer • Graduate

Startup Institute was probably the most productive 8 weeks I've ever had. I had been teaching myself web development for a few months prior to signing up and I learned more in the first 2 weeks of SI than I had in 2 months of working on my own. They did a great job of providing knowledgable instructors and just about all of them were open to helping with problems outside of the classroom time. The most valuable asset however was definitely the network and the SI community. When I finished the program I still had a little ways to go before I was ready to be a self-sufficient member of a development team and through the connections I made at the Startup Institute I was able to find a startup that was hiring junior devs to shape them into the specific brand of engineer that they needed. I still keep in touch with all of my classmates and I have, on several occasions, referred friends and colleagues from my past life to working SI alumni for jobs.

• Review
    - 5/16/2016

Startup Instute is a great way to get your foot in the door. You learn a ton about the Startup Ecosystem and you really learn how to brand yourself. Getting to work at actual starups was awesome. The only thing I didn't like about it was the curriculum. I would think maybe of doing away with the different tracks and just having everyone work together on projects where you have to use different skills and then you can do a deeper diver into the skills you find interesting.

There's only so much you can learn in an 8 week program. That's why startup institute (SI) spends so much of the time focusing on networking and how to network which ultimately helps you get a job.

I'll say this:

If you're going to do SI because you want to learn a new skill, I wouldn't be so certain this is the program for you. At least when I did it, the course work was really just exposure to the material with limited feedback. It did allow me to speak intelligently about some topics; however, it didn't make me a marketing expert at all.

However, if your main priority is to work at a startup, this is the program for you. The SI community has continued to grow and grow, and at least in Boston, the SI network is everywhere and has a very good reputation. It will definitely give you a leg up on the competition for finding a job.

The networks stays with you even after you graduate. That's definitely been the best part.