startup-institute-logo

Startup Institute

Boston, Chicago, New York City

Startup Institute

Startup Institute offers 12-week, part-time, immersive tracks in Web Design, Web Development, Digital Marketing, and Sales and Account Management in Boston, Massachusetts. Startup Institute also provides a series of introductory classes in Ruby, Web Design, Digital Marketing, and JavaScript that meet one evening per week. The immersive program features 1 to 4 weeks of preparatory skills support, followed by a 12-week immersive experience meeting evenings and weekends. Students split up into web development, web design, marketing, and sales and account management tracks for skills-training and consultancy projects; and then come together for career development workshops and mentorship. Startup Institute instructors are professional local practitioners who are experts in the subjects they teach, using real-world examples and a curriculum that can be applied to actual work environments.

The immersive course is geared towards career changers, and people who want to work in innovative companies, and includes two months of dedicated career counseling post-graduation. To apply, students need to complete an online application, schedule an admissions interview, complete an admissions homework assignment, and have a final interview with a program director. Startup Institute looks at personality and drive to see if applicants are a good fit for their classroom culture, methodology, and for many of the companies they partner with.

Startup Institute has graduated over 1000 alumni, and they're currently working at over 500 companies around the globe. As the program's alumni network continues to grow Startup Institute aims to keep alumni connected and supported throughout their careers.

Recent Startup Institute Reviews: Rating 4.63

all (72) reviews for Startup Institute →

Recent Startup Institute News

Read all (34) articles about Startup Institute →
  • Introduction to Coding (Ruby on Rails)

Git, PHP, Python, Rails, Ruby
    $859
    Boston
    This class will teach you the programming language used by developers to build websites, games, and applications. Learn how to solve real-world problems with code and what it takes to create interactive web applications. You’ll complete the class with a solid understanding of the language and a series of web applications to add to your portfolio. You’ll also be introduced to industry tools such as Github, Unix, and Sublime. This class is great for coding novices who want to learn the fundamentals of web development.
    $895
    Beginner
    Interview
  • Introduction to Web Design (UX/UI)

HTML, Design, User Experience Design, CSS
    $859
    Boston
    This class will teach you the fundamentals of HTML5, CSS3, and the principles of responsive design. Gain front-end coding skills and build a web experience for your portfolio that will function seamlessly across devices. This class is perfect for aspiring UX/UI designers, graphic designers who want to learn to code, back-end developers who want to build a front-end skill set, web designers who are new to responsive design, and entrepreneurs who want to build their own website.
    $895
    Beginner
    Interview

• Kaela • Visual & UX Designer • Graduate

I moved to NY particularly for Startup Institute. I really wanted to leave Boston and move my graphic design career into the tech world. SINY was the answer for me.

The value of this program is in the people you meet. My cohort was filled with such motivated and diverse people. Everyone comes to the program for a different reason, but all are there to make the next step in their career and lives; it creates such a collaborative and supportive environment. The program is very demanding, and having a group of new friends makes the struggle a little bit easier.

When I attended the cirriculum was still in development, so I learned fewer hard skills in the Product & Design track and more general concepts, but that was helpful for me as I decided which steps I wanted to take next in the design world. I left the program with a greater understanding of the NYC tech/startup scene and a clear pathway on how to get my next job. While my job search was longer than I anticipated, the team at SI was always around to help me with introductions, phone calls, and meetings.

Even though I've been out of the program for a couple of years, I still reach out to SI staff and teammates for help and advice! It's a great community, and I am forever grateful for my SINY experience.

• Dmitry Pavluk • Software Engineer • Graduate

SINY was a great overall experience for me. Our cohort was diverse, fun and driven. When applying, I was deciding between doing SINY and GA, and ultimately settled on the former. These are some of the things that I really liked about my time here:

1. I was surrounded by a group of motivated individuals. Being in such an environment is going to naturally stimulate you to work hard and towards whatever goal you've set for yourself.

2. I felt an authenticity about why this program was created, and from the staff.

3. The staff really cared about my being able to get a job after the program, and went out of its way to help me prepare my portfolio and resume, practice interviews, etc.

4. I met some great people there. This by far makes the program worth it. I ended up living in a four-bedroom apartment a month later, and two of my roommates were people I met during the program. A core group of my friends today, two years later, are SINY alumni.

5. Point number 4 bleeds over into this one: you will create a great network as a result of this program. Now, this is fully dependent on you. If you put in effort and find a way to connect with people genuinely, this program will help you enrich your network with solid people.

There are some things I think could have been done better. I did ths program in Spring of 2014, so things may have changed. These are my observations for that time period:

1. The curriculum was focused more on soft skills than hard skills. I think the former is immensely important and will help you grow at your job, but I think the latter is what gets you the job in the first place. I was actually ok with this distribution, b/c I had learned coding and some UX/UI basics previous to this program and had a little bit of a foundation to work with. However, I do think there were others who went in with a blank slate and weren't able to get as strong of a foundation as they wanted to.

2. Not all guest instructors were useful. This is fairly subjective, and is probably a continously-improving aspect of the program.

I started work at a startup doing web development six weeks after graduation. I hustled my way in there and learned a lot on the job. The key to this program is the key to life: you get out what you put in. If you come in with the right attitude, the right mental landscape, and put in consistent effort into learning skills, building your portfolio, and forging friendships, you will come out in a great position to land a job that you'll be happy at.

• Manuel • Web Dev • Graduate

I have to say that when I first was interested in Startup Institute I looked for reviews, looking for the bad, or at least for the not-so-very-good. I could find practically nothing negative, and now after becoming an SI graduate, I know why: the bootcamp is fantastic, the staff is extraordinary, and the doors it opens are mind-blowing.

The bootcamp has four facets: "fireside" chats by founders and key startup figures, collaboration that mimics the startup experience (IdeaHacks and projects) in addition to a light internship with a partner company, a technical curriculum that also includes job search, private job fairs, and presentation skills, and last but not least, discussion and reflection of what you want as your career, who you are as a person and a professional, and what you want to pursue in your own life.

The above demands would make the experience a potential madhouse and an extreme pressure cooker, but it all happens in the context of a supportive and nurturing staff --who has also selected a cohort that for the most part aims to support you. This has been done so wisely and as a constant of past bootcamps so that now an extensive network of alumni is standing by to help you.

Does this mean that you need to "just" get in? Not at all --the more you give to the program, the more you will gain. The more supportive you are of your fellow cohort, the more they will support you and help you grow, and so can be said from the staff --what they have achieved stands tall as an example of what a bootcamp and job retraining can be, but SI is at the end about you --about how you will work on your own person to become a better professional.

Some advice for those that are admitted: study your material and pre-work. If you are a developer, make sure to study Rails and Ruby to the point of executing at least 1/3rd of the Michael Hartl book (when I took my course, the subject was Ruby on Rails) and make sure you already learned to program Ruby on your own, and can get around the concepts of Rails. You do not want to have to skip key sessions or meeting great people, or spend the valuable time of an alumni discussing syntax errors or easy concepts vs. job leads. Last but not least, make sure that you find an avenue to keep fit and relaxed, and make sure you eat your vitamins and veggies. You need to keep your stress under control, an exercise routine to be grounded is best, and need to take care of yourself so that you can be ready for the challenge, because this is a challenge.

This is an exceptional program --by all means apply. And if you do not get in, ask for feedback and take it to heart, then try again. If you want this experience hard enough, you will get in --and you will not regret it, but will cherish the time as a highlight of a lifetime. [Yup, it is this good! Get off the couch and get busy right now to get in! Do it! ]

• Tarikh • Digital Marketing Manager • Graduate

I had always been on a rather fortunate career path. I studied chemical engineering at MIT. I interned multiple summers and was employed immediately out of college. I worked six straight years for a company founded by the Godfather of biomedicine, Dr. Robert Langer. I was in quite an enviable position for any millenial. Yet despite the reputation, value, and benefits I accumulated over the years, what I still lacked was happiness. I did not know how I would find it or if I would, but I knew where I wouldn't find it. That was a realization made clear to me during my first meeting with a Startup Institue alumna. My position had not offered that most important benefit of working: happiness. I could have easily navigated my network to a another technical position, career path, or industry. But I was not prepared to realize what happiness at work meant for me and then recognize where it could be found. So rather than take a chance at another comfy position, I took a chance at an organization whose mission is to help you find what makes you happy. Through honest self-exploration, cultivation of social etiquette, and exposure to numerous opportunities, the Startup Institute renews your vision and focus so that happiness is clear and within reach.

Startup Institute isn't for everyone. But everyone who knows their work does not bring them happiness should begin their search here.

• Ellie • UX Designer • Student

9 weeks of the craziest and most incredible experience that is Startup Institute is 2 days from ending, and I couldn't have asked for a better cohort that's made me truly value the importance of diversity of thought and backgrounds -- not one of us is at all like the other, and it makes for the best potluck of personalities that bring so much unique good to the table. You've quit cushy jobs, flown halfway around the world from Brazil, dedicated months to a path with an ending that had zero guaranteed outcome. That's BRAVE AS HELL. We've all seen each other at times struggle to define our goals and dreams, but have also seen each other grow in ways we couldn't imagine. I, for one, have probably cried enough to fix CA's water shortage, but I digress. I've seen people finally embody their incredible full potential and find that treasure trove of what it is that makes them tick, and that's rare to find in a lifetime, never mind a few months. You carry yourself with an amplified assurance of your path in life, and color me impressed. You guys are awesome. To that idea of being afraid to test yourself, and risking it all to find that outlet for your life's passions: BYE, FELICIA, BAIIIIIII.

• Raela Ripaldi • Student

I decided to attend StartUp Institute because I really wanted to get back into a start-up environment professionally, also I felt the need to upskill a bit in digital marketing.  What I hoped to get from the program (which is so much more than the traditional definition of school), was access to the local startup network,to  re-focus my own personal career aspirations and get some experience with things like SEO, inbound marketing and content creation.

The access that SI students have to CEO's, Founders and SI alumni is incredible, everyone I've been interested in talking with has taken some time out of their busy schedules to spend time with me, which I think is the most valuable thing. Additionallly, I can't even count the number of companies that come in for Fireside Chats, Partner Fairs and to instruct classes, we get an insider view to all of them. These interactions have lead to multiple conversations about roles at companies, something I couldn't have believed before starting.

In terms of learning new skills, I now have a good sense of technical marketing strategy and tactics and have the resources to find out what I don't know. I also have access to a whole new network of experts I can contact for help.

I can't speak enough about the SI team, everyone is amazing at what they do, and the amount of support, patience and help that is available is incredible. It truly feels that they are as invested in my success as I am, and that comes through everyday.

As some quick background, I have over 20 years of experience both in traditional brand marketing for consumer products and client service for an agency, before I started the program I was a bit afraid I wouldn't fit in, and this was not the case, the other cohorts in my class are a diverse group of ages, backgrounds, ethnicity etc. and we all have one thing in common when it comes to wanting a meaningful role and willing to take a risk to get it. Having this support from peers is truly priceless.

All that said, SI is a lot of work, each day feels a bit like a minute and a week, and when you are in the program you really have to commit in order to get the most out of it. It is exilhirating, inspiring and exhausting (kind of like working at a start up) and not a great idea if you can't dedicate the time over the 8 week program. (But worth it if you can!)

• LC • Student

I am almost done with the Fall 2015 Startup Institute cohort and I can't say enough good things about my experience! While it's not perfect, the overall quality of the program has exceeded my expectations greatly!  The main thing I was skeptical about coming into the program, is if it would be possible to create a true community within my cohort in 8 short weeks.  The answer is a resounding yes.  Even better, I am now tapped into a greater SI community of past students, instructors, and SI advocates.  This alone has made the investment worth it for me.

It's no secret, that if you want to learn only hard skills there are probably better programs out there.  My experience in Techinical Marketing has been exactly what they promised, I've been rapid fire exposed to all facets of digital marketing to the point where I am conversant but not expert.  What they do, is set students up with resources and network to dive deeper into the areas they are intersted in.

Overall, this has been a lifechanging experience.  I would recommend to anyone who is ready to take a leap of faith in their career.

Startup Institute's primary value is in the network it extends to its students and alumni and a support system for helping land that next job. But I also see it as a summer camp for adults who are driven professionals. You learn a framework and the beginning of new skills. It might be hard to make a dramatic career change, but you'll get your best opportunity to do so by attending Startup Institute.

I recently just finished the Sales track in Chicago and started my job the Monday after it's conclusion. Startup Institute was instrumental in helping me refine what I wanted in a career, team, and life. I came into the program with some sales experience but no direction, but quickly was introduced to amazing people across the city who were so willing to speak with me and help me figure out who I wanted to become.

I know I would not be where I am without the guidance of the staff or the encouragement of the great instructors they brought in for us. Having said that, Startup Institute will not do the work for you. Simply attending the program will not result in any sort of dream job - you need to be out actively pursuing contacts and companies and hustle your butt off. SI will provide you the resources, but it is up to you what you do with them.

Enrolling in SI was one of the best decisions of my life and I encourage anyone ready to invest in themselves to take the plunge, too!

• Anonymous • Senior Engineer • Graduate

Startup institute was instrumental in helping me make the career change I wanted, which was to move from being a financial analyst at a consulting firm to a programmer at a startup. They are connected to a large number of very qualified and competent instructors. They do an excellent job at immersing you in the startup community and giving you the knowledge to succeed in that community. And equally importantly, they are not there to make as much money as possible off students - they cost 1/2 as much or less than many boot camps, and run an excellent program.

If you are looking to learn a technical skill, whether that be design, coding, or "technical marketing," then Startup Institute is not for you. In fact, even if you're looking to learn sales/account management, Startup Institute is not for you. There was no cohesive curriculum. Rather, it was a collage of random people in the NYC tech scene they could get to come in and teach/speak. Were you to do an exit poll of the students and ask if they had a marked improvement from when they first started, I'd bet a lot of money that the response would be a resounding "no."

What Startup Institute does well though, is the amount of attention that the staff gives to the students. I haven't done any other bootcamp but the staff members at Startup Institute are in your corner pulling for you. During your job search they will send you positions they think you would be well-suited for and make intros to companies when they have a connection to someone there. Throughout a job search, there are certainly moments of deflation of lack of self-confidence but the fine folks at SI will be supporting you the whole time.

It's not just the staff at SI that does a fantastic job of supporting you. Your friends and colleagues are perhaps your biggest champions. I made some great friends during my time there, all of whom have different jobs throughout NYC's tech industry.

The question here is if Startup Institute is worth the $5000. Again, if you're looking to learn technical skills or substantially improve on the ones you have, then I would say it is certainly not worth it. However, if your end game is to break into the tech startup scene, then it may be worth considering. Could my friends have gotten the jobs they have now without Startup Institute? Perhaps. But I do know that SI helped them achieve their goals faster. If Startup Institute had a job placement money back guarantee then I would say this is a no-brainer but they don't. Ask yourself what you really want out of a bootcamp. If you want a fantastic support team and a rapid job search, then SI might be for you.

I hope this helps!

• Annette Lilly • Editorial Director • Graduate

I had a wonderful experience in the program. I moved from Puerto Rico to take part in the first class to happen in New york. I had a unique experience because I was able to do the program along side my business partner and best friend, Damone Franklin.

I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to know the heart beat of the technology industry and who is hungry to jump start their career. I chose the Sales and Business Development track to be my focus while attending SINY because it was the area I needed the most work in. I had wonderful classmates who I am still in contact with nealy three years later. We were like a huge family. I was lucky enough to get a position while being in the program with Lean Startup machine that ended up taking me to teach entrepreneurship workshops in China. I also recieved intensive sales training at a company upon leaving the program.

One highlight was attending startup weekend representing SINY. Our team was very successful, and we used this time for networking and learning from the most active people in the New York Startup scene. You can read the full story here - http://blog.startupinstitute.com/tag/damone-franklin/

Authentic networking is key to success. Startup Institute puts you in relationship with leaders in the startup community that you would probably not otherwise get to meet. Each student gets out the program what they put into it. It is a practice in taking the lessons given daily from successful entrepreneurs and the excellent instructors and then working to turn those experiences into results. Bets of luck!

• Web Dev Track
    - 1/20/2015
    Jon Castillo • Graduate

I was a student in the web development track at Startup Institute. We had direct access to the smartest minds in the NYC tech community. I was able to quickly expand my network in NYC and make the transition into a company that has the resources and man power to mentor me. The web development track was taught by lead developers and CTO's from actual startups in NYC. These are the people who are leading the charge in developing innovative technologies! SI became the perfect way for me to obtain the mentorship that I was looking for, while expanding my network with all of the really smart and talented people that were students in our class. SI can provide the bridge that can help cross you over into a career as a web developer, marketer, sales person/business development person, and/or product person.

• Ethan • Graduate

If you have no experience coding but want to be a developer, Startup Institute is probably not the best place to start. It is not a coding bootcamp like General Assembly or Launch Academy and the technical knowledge they impart is meant to give you a high level understanding of web technologies; not make you an expert. However, if you are sick of your job, looking to do something more meaningful, tired of the profession you’re in, or just having difficulty networking, Startup Institute is the best place to be. It is an 8 week intensive that injects you into the startup community while simultaneously helping you to find or create the opportunities that guide you to your dream job and prepare you to pursue the career that follows. This may sound like a fluff course, but I can assure you it is not. It is an exhausting, stressful, twelve hour-per-day experience that will teach you skills you may not have known existed. The staff is extremely supportive, but they are not afraid to be curt and direct with you and they will cut through your crap. You will not become an expert coder. What you will get is a massive network, the skills you need to market yourself to employers, and a host of new friends and supporters.

• Anonymous • software engineer • Graduate

Startup Institute is a TON of work, but well worth the effort. I came from an art historical background and was skeptical at first that a three month program would get me through the door into a startup/web development job but it actually worked!

SI provides a multitude of resources that give you insights into the industry and networks you need to know to get a job after the program. They focus heavily on the soft skills, which is an important life skill to continually land jobs, start a company or to look for opportunties that are availabe in and out of Boston.

In terms of coding, the classes are fast paced. I would come in to the web development course with some background knowledge in coding (however little) and continue to learn on the side as you go through the program. Every bit helps when finding a job and the instructors will definitely give you the help you need if you put in the time and effort.

SI built my confidence up and taught me a ton about marketing, being a professional and networking. I’m really glad I took the course. I landed a content marketing job because of it!

The Startup Institute full-time program is an door-opening experience that I would recommend to anyone looking to expand their network and get excited about their career. The community is definitely the best part of SI - I have never met a more supportive group of people that were so willing to help people they barely knew. And it stays strong, even long after graduation. The cirriculum is all about putting the time in to get out of it what you want, so be ready with specific goals. The technical training is not the strongest part of the program, so if you're not interested in joining the community or getting to know local companies, there are probably better uses of your time. I'm now super happy to be working at a small company that couldn't be more different from my last job. I can't imagine I would be there without the guidance from SI.

The SI technical marketing program worked like a charm for me. I had multiple interviews and a job offer before graduation. I'm 8 months into my first marketing role and I love my job.

However, the recent turnover and price hikes leaves me feeling skeptical about the direction of the program and future students. I'm afraid they will be pricing out some of the best talent, and attracting only those who have deep enough pockets that spending $10k and not working for 8+ weeks is not such a big deal. This matters because part of the big sell on the program is that you'll have an ever growing network of talented, passionate people in the startup community.

Moral of the story is I'm glad I was able to complete the program when I did and find a job that I love. However, if I were a year later in my decision, it wouldn't have been able to afford it. I've spoken to many previous SI alum who feel the same way.

If you are going to Startup Institute its a great expereience. You will meet so many people from the industry and becuse it belongs to Tech Stars it has some very good Y Combination with venture capatalists which you will not get any where else.

If you are doing any thing other than back end web dev you will most likely find a job in the startup industry.

They just dont have the expertese or instructurs to teach in a way that will make you a good programmer.

Their teachers are part time contributors who you will most likely only see once and most are not CS degree grads. They will tell you to look through google for everything. Teaching is sporatic with no consistancy and its almost like throwing mud on the wall and see which one sticks.

As a matter of fact you will learn a lot of bad skills from doing random stuff and not learning methodically without skipping the necessary details.

In the end you will not get a job or even feel remotely prepared to apply as a web dev.

Only one of my cohort (web  devs) got a job and he had a bachelors in CS. I checked previous cohorts and same story atleast in NY.

Its definately worth it if you have a CS degree or been to a boot camp before. They will expose you to a lot of top industry people and very inspiring.

Its also worth it if you are in any of the other programs and you will get a job.

Its hard to find the info on Web Dev part of Startup Institute and thats why I wrote this to help you make a better decision.

• Great experience
    - 10/5/2016
    Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate

Startup Institute changed my life.  Before this I had done sales, personal training, and other random jobs that I was not passionate about.  Taking part in Startup Institute allowed me to transition into a career that I really wanted to do.  I had some coding experience but not nearly enough to get hired and this pushed me into the new career.

Dont get me wrong, this was a TON of work.  But the people in the program that wanted it and worked really hard all landed jobs within a month or two.  I personally had 6 interviews and 2 offers within 60 days of completing the program.

May have once been good, but development technology has increased 10x from since Startup Institute was started, and they can no longer properly prepare you to be taken seriously by any employer.

Response From: Christine Zimmermann of Startup Institute
    Title: Marketing Manager
    Wednesday, Oct 19 2016
    I'm very sorry to know that you had anything less than an amazing experience in our program. If you'd be willing to email us with specific feedback, we take it very seriously and are eager to find ways to improve. Thank you for taking the time to write a review your experience.