startup-institute-logo

Startup Institute

Boston, Chicago, New York City

Startup Institute

Startup Institute offers 12-week, part-time, immersive tracks in Web Design, Web Development, Digital Marketing, and Sales and Account Management in Boston, Massachusetts. Startup Institute also provides a series of introductory classes in Ruby, Web Design, Digital Marketing, and JavaScript that meet one evening per week. The immersive program features 1 to 4 weeks of preparatory skills support, followed by a 12-week immersive experience meeting evenings and weekends. Students split up into web development, web design, marketing, and sales and account management tracks for skills-training and consultancy projects; and then come together for career development workshops and mentorship. Startup Institute instructors are professional local practitioners who are experts in the subjects they teach, using real-world examples and a curriculum that can be applied to actual work environments.

The immersive course is geared towards career changers, and people who want to work in innovative companies, and includes two months of dedicated career counseling post-graduation. To apply, students need to complete an online application, schedule an admissions interview, complete an admissions homework assignment, and have a final interview with a program director. Startup Institute looks at personality and drive to see if applicants are a good fit for their classroom culture, methodology, and for many of the companies they partner with.

Startup Institute has graduated over 1000 alumni, and they're currently working at over 500 companies around the globe. As the program's alumni network continues to grow Startup Institute aims to keep alumni connected and supported throughout their careers.

Recent Startup Institute Reviews: Rating 4.63

all (72) reviews for Startup Institute →

Recent Startup Institute News

Read all (34) articles about Startup Institute →
  • Introduction to Coding (Ruby on Rails)

Git, PHP, Python, Rails, Ruby
    LocationBoston
    This class will teach you the programming language used by developers to build websites, games, and applications. Learn how to solve real-world problems with code and what it takes to create interactive web applications. You’ll complete the class with a solid understanding of the language and a series of web applications to add to your portfolio. You’ll also be introduced to industry tools such as Github, Unix, and Sublime. This class is great for coding novices who want to learn the fundamentals of web development.

• Introduction to Web Design (UX/UI)

HTML, Design, User Experience Design, CSS
    LocationBoston
    This class will teach you the fundamentals of HTML5, CSS3, and the principles of responsive design. Gain front-end coding skills and build a web experience for your portfolio that will function seamlessly across devices. This class is perfect for aspiring UX/UI designers, graphic designers who want to learn to code, back-end developers who want to build a front-end skill set, web designers who are new to responsive design, and entrepreneurs who want to build their own website.

There's only so much you can learn in an 8 week program. That's why startup institute (SI) spends so much of the time focusing on networking and how to network which ultimately helps you get a job.

I'll say this:

If you're going to do SI because you want to learn a new skill, I wouldn't be so certain this is the program for you. At least when I did it, the course work was really just exposure to the material with limited feedback. It did allow me to speak intelligently about some topics; however, it didn't make me a marketing expert at all.

However, if your main priority is to work at a startup, this is the program for you. The SI community has continued to grow and grow, and at least in Boston, the SI network is everywhere and has a very good reputation. It will definitely give you a leg up on the competition for finding a job.

The networks stays with you even after you graduate. That's definitely been the best part.

• Gabriela • Graduate

I was accepted in Startup Institute right after graduating from college, and the experience I gained really pushed me out of my comfort zone and how to think quick on me feet. I not only learned useful skills for digital marketing, but also embraced the mindset of coming up with solutions with limited resources and under pressure.

• Manuel • Graduate

Startup Institute is more than a coding bootcamp --and this is a great thing! SI beat my expectations as it was not only about coding (Ruby on Rails) but also about learning first-hand from CEOs and big players in the startup ecosystem in Boston about what made their careers tick --and what made their businesses succeed (and yes, fail).In addition, there was plenty of necessary work (especially for coders) in how to present yourself to HR, hiring managers, and possible networking contacts. This was done around a fine, super-supportive staff that really cared to find out about you as a person, as a coder, and as a jobseeker.

My advice for SI students is this: as in life, and as in the startup world especially, success will come when you raise to the ocassion. This means, do not expect to be spoonfed all you need to know. SI is not really comparable to GA or Hack Reactor as the emphasis is on creating a well-rounded person, not just an awesome coder. But if you do want to be a super-awesome well-rounded coder, do this: Once you are admitted, hit the books and try to learn as much of Ruby and web coding and databases as you can. Hit the Michael Hartl books, learn MCV, event-driven programming, add Python if you can. No, you cannot be made to learn and SI is a fast-moving program --no time to catch up later after slacking off. And everytime you need to pause to catch up, it means you will miss an opportunity somewhere (yup, the program is that intense).

And by the way, the most rewarding part of the program is not the coding you will learn, but the bonds with your classmates and teachers (which all are active practicioners in industry) and how they look at the world. SI's strength is in diversity --embrace it. Be a better coder, but also a better person!

• Liz • Junior UI developer • Graduate

When I realized I wanted to change the direction my career was taking (and when I say change direction, I mean 180 degree deviation), I knew I would be starting over from scratch. I knew I just needed to get my foot in the door, but getting that chance was going to be tricky.

I knew that the Startup Institute was the right bootcamp for me as soon as I learned that their approach to getting you a job isn't so much about just getting you placed, but about helping you discover what it is that makes you happy, helping you find the place that is right for you, and connecting you with a community of people genuinely want to help others in the same pursuit. Does a person need technical skills in order to do their job? Yes, and SI does include that in their curriculum, but it's not the main focus. We spend a huge amount of our lives at work, and with our co-workers. SI understands this, and as another part of the curriculum, works to help us understand which are going to be the RIGHT jobs to help us be happy and successful. They bring in CEOs and founders of companies from all over the area (for me it was in Boston) so we can learn about the startup community, meet and connect with people who are looking to hire, and expose us to the different types of companies that are out there. The instructors were community members who are actively working in the fields we wanted to pursue.

The support we received, from not just the CEOs and founders, but from the SI staff, as well as from the other people in the cohort (not to mention the alumni!) was astounding. It's a network that i never would have had if not for SI. And the number one thing I hear (and have said myself) is "how can I help?"

There were downsides. It was stressful and mentally exhausting at times. There is a lot of introspection and it didnt always feel like things would work out. And I could have learned more in the technical side from other bootcamps. SI isn't shy about admitting that. And as someone going into the development field, that was scary.

That said, I think it was a well worth it. The Startup Institute had the balance that I needed. Technical, network, support, an amazing staff, and it's a community of people that i am proud to be a part of.

• José Ramos • BDR • Graduate

I moved from California to Boston in search for new career opportunities and carefuly selected SI Boston. The staff was phenomenal from the interview all the way to today as an alumn. My background is in civil engineering but I wanted to transition into sales to get a better understanding of how to build a business. The 8 weeks of SI prepared me very well expecially for a entry level position in software sales. I think a more experienced indivudal will not find the classes as insightful but certainly as a great refresher.

My network also grew exponentially and I have no doubt that if I wanted to leave my current job (which I do not) for any reasaon I would easily be able to find a number of opportunities through the SI network. I'd even dare to say that I'd look for a job through my SI network before my Alma Mater.

• Sales
    - 5/15/2016
    Anonymous • BDR • Graduate

SI was such a powerful class for me to teach me what else was available to me As a professional

Startup Institute does everything, and most of it is done very well.  The skills-based courses might pale a bit to the other courses, but that's because everything else is top-top-notch.  The personalized attention and job search assistance blew away my expectations.

Very few people need (or can take appropriate advantage of) all of the experiences that SI provides.  The course is jam packed.  I knew exactly what I was looking for when I started, but many people were still trying to find the right career for them, so those self-discovery sessions were less useful for me, yet invaluable for others.  Recognize what you need and never hesitate to ask for help from your peers and staff.

• Melanie • Founder/CEO • Graduate

Enrolling in Startup Institute was the right decision for me, and I look back on my time at SI with fondness and gratitude. Fondness for the friends I made and the support system I built. Gratitude for the safe space to grow and fail and learn that was provided by the SINYC staff and for the support they continue to give me today.  If you expect to enroll in an 8 week long boot camp and graduate with a 6 figure salary and equity in a unicorn, then contact me because I have some magic beans you might want to buy. If you realize that enrolling in a career accelerator is a step in your professional growth -- the size of which is correlated to the effort you put forth, then SI is for you.

• Daniel Rondeau • Head of software development • Student

Startup Institute was one of the best things I've ever done. I came from college with little to no experience in the job market and I honestly lacked confidence in my technical skills. After the couple weeks at Startup Institute I began to build more confidence and gain some amazing friends in the process.  Startup Institute teaches you pretty much everything you need to know about getting a job at a start up and the mind set you need to keep while in one.

Two years later I run a software development in a upcoming startup that I love! I might work a lot but I finally can say I love what I do and I make a difference.

If your thinking about joining a boot camp, this is the right one! Trust me when I say it paid for itself %1000 times over!

• Kristin Myers • Graduate

SI is one of those experiences that won't take you from zero to 100. It's that intensive experience that takes those stuck in the early stages of their career and propels them into a new bracket. You have to want it, and the return you get comes down to you. But SI delivers 5 times over what you put in. You'll fine tune more than raw skill. You'll find direction, community, and you'll figure out how to stop wasting time. If you're looking for the kind of environment that is kind before competitive, makes you feel like you have jet fuel in your veins, and creates a killer network to support you (not because they have to but because they genuinely want to) -- this is your spot.

• UI/UX Designer
    John Ra • Graphic Designer • Graduate

I was strongly recommended to Startup Institute by a close friend who was attending the program at the time. It was a big decision for me because I had to drop a stable job and move to Boston from Michigan. After doing the research and hearing students/alums experiences, my sense of risk was significantly reduced. It seemed like everyone had a positive experience and outcome. So I decided to apply, got accepted, went through the program, and now I have a job in Boston with fulfilling mission, amazing work/life balance, and even doubled my salary.

When I attended the program during Fall '15, here's what I gained from the Startup Institute experience.

Hard Skills: I was a Advertising major who went the route of working on smaller businesses for a wide range of challenges and skill development. Startup Institute helped me get caught up on current trends in UI/UX designs, terminologies, and methodologies.

Soft Skills: What are your weaknesses? What are your strengths? Can you tell your personal story efficiently? Startup Institute will explore these questions and many more to help you improve your emotional IQ to present the best version of you to the job market and working space.

Mentorship: Startup Institute has so many wonderful staffs and alums that are able to provide mentoship for your career path. They all have different strengths and specialties to help you find the right job.

Networking: Not only are you tightly connected with your cohort members in the same semester, but there are powerful staffs, many partner companies, alums in various cities, and future Startup Institute students to be connected to. There are frequent networking and fun events to make more connections or to find a door to a company you are pursuing.

Startup Environment: What Startup Institute brews within is a wave of positive culture that spreads to the working environments through their alums. They do a great job of eliminating internal competitive nature and encourage reaching success as a whole tight-knit community. These ideas and energy will carry in to new companies and influence the positive change.

• Software Developer
    Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

The Startup Institute did its job. When I left two months after beginning I was hired by an alum as a software developer. I have been employed in this capacity ever since. I leaned some software development, and more importantly I learned the soft skills required to feel comfortable and excell in a start-up / any technical agile environment. I learned enough technical skills. The focus was not really on learning only programming. At the time I found this a tad disconcerting, but the fact is even the hardest core boot camp is not going to prepare you for being a developer.  It is not some rote facts and rules learned about object oriented programming that truly matters, It is your intellectual curiosity, and ability to learn on the job that will help you get and keep your first job. I learned Ruby at  SI and I worked with Python in my first job and now I work with Python, Bash and PHP in my current position. What has helped is the network, soft skills I learned at Start Up Institute. Start Up Institute is a great value that changed my life for the better.(cliche but true :))

Mike • Software Engineer • Student

Startup Institute was a great experience that really helped kickstart my web development career.  I would say it's biggest strength is the network you form during and after the class.  You make connetions with great peers, as well as great people in the industry.  The instructors are mostly people who are currently working in real development jobs, so you get very relevant advice. For me, the biggest weakness is that the cirriculum, at the time I was there at least, was not so good at helping you get a portfolio together for prospective employers.  If you are motivated enough, you can get it done yourself, which is kind of the whole point of having a loose cirriculum, but I think it would benefit from having a more structured program.  Overall, I would highly recommend this program.

• Anonymous • UX/UI Designer • Student

Startup Institute has been by far one of the best educational experiences of my life. I was worried at the beginning that my fellow classmates and I would be competing over limited resources (job opportunites in the city), it was quite the opposite. The phenomenon that occured was actually very intentional, a support community was created, a "family" --- sounds too good to be true right? But it is true, once you are in Startup Institute, you are in a family, with experienced parents who want your best. How do they provide you their best? The curriculum changes and refreshes based on the needs of the market, so you know you're in demand when you graduate. Most importantly, they teach you HOW TO NETWORK. This invaluable skill and the family SI creates are your lifevests in this field.

I got my first freelance gig from a partner company 3 days into the bootcamp and I landed a job at Upworthy immediately after the bootcamp through the SI Network in other cities. I made friends for life that I know I can reach out to in the future for support in any way.

Bonus: In Boston's Startup Institute, there exists a man named Alan Telio, he's the Godfather to all the graduates: best, most compassionate advisor!

I wish I could do my experience all over again :) and I graduated in 2014!

• Anonymous • Account Executive • Graduate

Startup Institute's 8-week intensive learning program allowed me to easily secure a job with a company I love and contribute right away. More importantly, though, they created an opportunity for me to build out an incredible network of mentors and influential individuals that I will be able to leverage the rest of my life.

• Go for it!
    Lauren Van Nostrand • Graduate

Startup Institute transformed my career! Not only was I able to break into an entirely new sector, now I have the flexibility to work in remote positions in tech that I never would have had. And the network of students, instructors and company founders really can't be beat.

• Anonymous • Principal Analytics Architect • Graduate
    Startup Institute was a great experience that has helped me build both hard and soft skills. While it was a good coding bootcamp for Ruby on Rails, it had many other benefits to make you a well rounded startup employee. SI focuses on soft skills that give you the emotional intelligence to thrive in a startup environment. I took away new open source coding skills from the Web development track, but as an employee that sits between business and technology, I was able to customize my learning and take advantage of other sessions in the sales, marketing and design tracks. It is important to choose the city where you want to find a job because of the network you will build while at SI. Overall it was a great experience that has helped me in my career and has added amazing people to my network.
  • Hamy • UI/UX Designer • Graduate

SI isn't about just learning a bunch of hard skills, then trying to find a job—any job based on those hard skills alone. You’re asked to not just consider a job after Startup Institute, but a career, and then are provided with a network to jump-start that career—one that you care about. 3 years later I'm still at my job that I landed after SI and am happier than ever.

When I moved back to NYC from San Francisco the Startup Institute provided me an opportunity to integrate myself into the east coast startup scene. It offered a great curriculum in the technical marketing track which I pursued to boost my marketing skill set and introduced me to a network of like minded and talented individuals. Although my life pre SI was in the startup world, post SI I have since taken a job working in Higher Ed as the head of digital marketing for a private university in the northeast. I never would have predicted that this is the path I would have ended up on when entering SI, but that's kind of the great thing about it. The skills you develop here really give you the opportunity to work anywhere and the network of people to help venture into to different indsutries.

• Sam • Project Manager • Graduate

I attended Startup Institute in Boston as part of the Web Design track- There are 4 focus areas: Web Design, Web Development, Sales, and Digital Marketing.   I would not have the amazing job that I have today, if not for Startup Institute. You gain the skills and street smarts to work in the startup world, and an amazingly supportive and strong network of alumni, who will be there for advise and building connections.

Highly recommend the Startup Institute for the quality of instruction and support that you'll receive.

I attended Startup Institute to make a career change. It was terrifying to quit a solid job, but I took the risk. Along the way I expanded my network, learned important skills I'm still using today, and ended up in a great job. My salary and job satisfaction are both at the highest they've ever been. Can't recommend it enough, for anyone looking to make a career change. So worth the risk!

• Fine when cheaper
    - 5/14/2016

The community is great but the curriculum is basically a joke. Spending a couple weeks to read blog posts and do some practice would be much more effective. The network is the most powerful aspect, although that is still limited. As they've grown and accepted more and more, the reputation among employers has dropped. They should keep it much more selective and maybe do one class per year. They are selling the startup dream hard and there is a lot of kool-aid drinking.

• Kashif Devani • Dir of Tech • Graduate

Overall startup institute was worth my investment. I came with the mindset to learn new tech skills and I came out with a great foundation and ton of support. This program is great for Anyone wanting to get involved with new startups as it focuses on soft skills as much as tech skills if not more and believe me you will need them.

• Rani • Marketing Manager • Graduate

In 2016 it is almost impossible to find a job without a network and without networking. I did Startup Institute (SI) Boston and was introduced to over 100 (or more) companies. During your time at SI you are constantly networking. There are networking events after class . There are partner fairs where 15 partner companies come in and meet with 5 students at a time. As a student, you are able to pitch yourself and the companies pitch themselves to you. Then, you reach out to the companies you like and try and arrange "coffee chats" which are essentially informal interviews. Various CEOs and Founders of startups in the Boston area come in a do "fireside chats," which entail them telling the students about how they came to build their company and what kind of employees they are looking for. You are also put into a group of 4-5 students and you work on site with a partner company on a project of their choosing. Through doing this you get hands on experience working with a startup. At the end of your time, in order to graduate, you tell a story about yourself in front of 400 people from the industry at the iMAX theatre at the aquarium. You have 60 seconds. After my "pitch" I was approached by 5 companies. After you graduate SI works with you until you are placed in a job you like. I had 5 interviews and landed a job only a month after graduating. Almost all of my cohort has a job. They are true to their statistics. But that is all the technical stuff. Aside from giving you a network, you also find out a ton about yourself by being pushed to ask yourself questions around what you want in life and a job, by being placed in groups and spending time with your fellow classmates (with whom you bond with, I'm prettys sure, for life), and by getting one on one attention from the class. Even though the latter parts of networking and landing a job are the "practical" aspects of joining SI (they deliver what they say they are going to deliver), what really amazed me was the way the program forces you to be introspective and the way that you bond with folks in your class. All my classmates were unique, smart, fun, and supportive. It was an amazing experience.